Weight Loss & Dieting Community
helping 20 year old daughter lose weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

Your posts helped me. I am just sick when I see pictures of my daughter on facebook. She is so beautiful but has gained so much weight in college. I agree that all I can do is love her and give her support.  Thanks for your help and posts on this topic.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are well.
Has your daughter gained considerable weight over a small period of time? The common causes of obesity are lack of control over eating, less exercise, hypothyroidism and diabetes mellitus. Any problem with the adrenals and Cushing’s syndrome can lead to uncontrolled obesity. Low serum protein and anemia all can cause weight gain. If you are suspecting any of these conditions mentioned above it is best to get her evaluated. Meanwhile she should start controlling her diet and start exercising. She needs to indulge in healthy food habits like intake of fruits and vegetables and avoid cheese, butter, fat etc. Obesity can lead to many health problems like osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes etc.It is best to control her obesity as early as possible. Seek professional advice. Do keep me posted on her health.
Best luck and regards!
Speaking as a 20 year old woman in college, your post makes me sick. I understand if you're concerned about her emotional health (if she feels insecure or what have you) but if she does not and is healthy, then why isn't she equally as beautiful? I have been in treatment for anorexia and met plenty of girls who flipped on my side of the coin and back on binge eating because of the stress of their parents to lose weight. If she wants to get a healthy lifestyle, she may do it for awhile to satisfy you, but she can only maintain it and remain happy if she wants to do it for herself. It is common to gain weight in college, and who knows. Maybe she'll come to you for help on how to lose weight. However if you look at your daughter as an object, that her self worth has now made you "sick" because she is now larger, then you're looking for disgruntled psychological damage.

I'm sick.
She should not avoid "cheese, butter, fat etc." IMO.

My life has changed by eating MORE of these especially fat. Avoid the sugar, grains, and most fruit. I'm amazed after all the evidence we have now our government and health professionals (most of them) are still promoting a high carb/low fat diet.

KTowne Been worried that my sympto... Comment
KTowne commented on zara2010's status
KTowne commented on renae176's status
Track your weight over time