Weight Loss & Dieting Community
im 16 year old boy need some advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

im 16 year old boy need some advice

Hi im 16 years old and im on a diet that has been affective but over time. I dont eat breakfast. I have my lunch at 12:30 and dinner at 7:30. My mom keeps bugging me that this will slow down my metablism and get really fat. My friends tell me that im getting weaker. Should i continue this diet or stop doing. It has been very affective. I am about 6 feet tall and I've went from 200 lbs to 170lbs since Novemeber. I work out occasionally and if i do its push ups. Shall i continue or stop doing this diet?
Thank you
You should DEFINITELY start eating breakfast! How do you expect to have energy until lunchtime if you don't start the day off right? At 16, and you being 6 feet and 170 lbs, I would say that you're NOT overweight.

Being 16, you should be involved in physical activities, and be more concerned about exercise than about diet. I mean, I'm not saying to eat junk food or anything. But I don't think you should be skipping meals and going so long without eating anything. Your mom is right. Skipping meals and under-eating WILL slow down your metabolism. And you WILL be weak if you're not getting enough calories. PLUS, at 16 you're probably still growing. You don't want to mess with your growth rate.

Try and enjoy your highschool years and don't obsess too much. Just try and live a healthy lifestyle and take PE classes or get involved in sports.
ok thank very much
im a boy and sixten, i am 5ft. 7 and 100 pounds, i dnt eat breakfast, i eat a muffin for dinner @ 12.30 and i sometimes eat tea if i can be bothard.. am i underwieght i belive i am fat i want to lose more weight. i am going down to 6 stone...
BOY ARE U TRYNNA KILL URSELF!!! U GOTTA B KIDDING ME? U R UNDERWEIGHT!!!! 2 BE DAT TALL N DAT SKINNY U GOT PROBLEMS....!!! TRY EATING A BOWL OF CEREAL WITH SKIM MILK A SDANDWICH 4 LUNCH N SOME VEGGIES N CHICKEN FOR DINNER... DAT CAN HELP KEEP UR BODY IN SHAPE WHILE GAINING "GOOD" WEIGHT!
GOOD LUCK...
I am also 16 and I know how you feel when you want to lose weight by cutting a meal and working out some more but I will tell you that I have done that be for and it didn't help!
I started eating breakfast again and a little bit less than what I was eating for lunch and dinner and got on a routine work-out and my weight just started to melt away and I am still working on it.
It is great to have friends that notice when something is different or not right about you. You should appreciate them very much.

Good Luck on toning yourself, but don't over-do-it

are you kidding me? 5 7 and you're only 100 lbs? that's insane!!! if anything you're slowly killing yourself! my mother works in a hospital and with some of the patients she gets they're anorexic, bulemic or anything else you can imagine. my cousin was going through the i'm not eating phase and my mother made her meet a girl. you're age...only taller. she was 5 8 who weighed 85 lbs. she refused to eat. by time she was taken to the hospital it was to late for her. she died from starvation (from eating an apple or something small once a day) 3 weeks later. that's not something to aspire to. eating healthy and working out is the way to go. not starving yourself.
Your body weight is fine. I am seventeen, 5'7, and weigh 135 to 140. I want to be skinnier. I will never be skinny I feel. I understand what your saying. But I think you should eat breakfast, and snack healthy throughout the day. I am a ballet dancer and I have to eat nutritious things or I will not be strong enough. Snack healthy through the day. Message me back = ] and good luck dear = ]

-Danielle
I hope all of you start eating more and not worrying about the weight so much. I am nearly 3 times older than you, but I have been there,
I went on strict diet when I was 15. I was happy with the number (98 lbs, 5'2, ), but I was not healthy. My hair look dull and my skin was dry. I did not care as long as I look skinny. Well, I know now that I could have killed myself if I continued on the diet. I am now 115 lbs. looking healthy and happy. I have maintained my weight over decades now. Never try to do anything you can't do for rest of your life. Also, know this. You do not have to stay away from your favorite food. You cam have anything you want, but have to watch the potion.
Portion is very important. You can have a biggest meal in the morning. That is the best time to eat and not to gain weight. Try to have a small meal in the evening. Also, remember, muscle does weigh more than fat, so you may not see the number decrease when you workout.  But it is the better way to be looking good and healty.
Don't be hang up by the numbers,. The number is decieving. Some people have a heavier bone than others. I hope you all enjoy your teenage years. Good luck.
yh im 100lbs maybe less now so yay go me....
so wat.... and ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no food is mega boaring no time for that.....
tryed seeking help got turned away...
well im still alive so that must meen something
x
xx
You NEED to eat breakfast, ESPECIALLY if you want to lose weight. Think of eating breakfast as starting a car. If you let your car sit in the driveway, nothing happens. If you get in your car and try to make it go, without starting it, nothing happens. If you start your car, it burns fuel and is therefore able to go. If you skip breakfast, your metabolism doesn't start. You will be tired, and have little energy. When you eat breakfast, you start your metabolism, and you are able to burn your "fuel".
You should eat something that is high in fiber- think whole grains, as your "main dish" and include other healthy, well-balanced foods. If you eat more complex carbs (whole grains) earlier in the day, they will give your body the fuel to keep your energy up, they will make you feel "full" longer, and they are much more likely to be burned up throughout the day, and not sit around in your body to turn to fat. Remember to eat a well balanced diet. Good luck!
I am 18, 5'9 and 180 lbs. I see myself as being VERY overweight. It wasn't too long ago that I started counting calories and only consuming about 1000 a day.... Now it's gotten to where I will MAYBE eat 500 calories a day and if I go anywhere near over that, I purge. I can't say that I WANT to stop. I haven't seen much improvement, which is what's keeping me on it, but then again I've only been dieting for about a month now. I don't really know what I posted here for or why I searched for it. I guess I'm just kind of lost. I know it's wrong and all that.... I just need someone to talk to and that understands me.
im 14 and im 230lbs
i have really low self esteem so i started only eating around 500 calories a day and walking for an hour a day. i started this a 3 days ago and ive lost 8lbs. is this unhealthy for me to be eating so little? i dont eat breakfast or lunch only a plain chicken breast and water.
is this unhealthy to do? if so wats a good diet plan for a 14 year old who wieghs 230lbs
Eating 500 calories a day is not enough to keep anyone's body going and it will actually make your body hold on to all the fat it can get! You are starving yourself. The body recognizes that there is not enough calories and treats it like it was a famine, by holding on to the fat so you can live. It is better to eat more calories- enough for your body to get through the day.
One thing you can try is the hcg diet. You would have to see a doctor to do it. You might be just a little bit too young, I'm not really sure. But, while this diet has you eating only 500 calories a day, the hcg metabolizes your stored fat and uses 2000 calories (from the fat) so that you have enough energy to live. Therefore,  you are living off of 2500 calories, losing weight, and getting healthier.
If you aren't able to do that, you should really add vegetables and whole grains to your diet. A chicken breast and water, while better than hamburgers or pizza, is really not enough for your body. It doesn't have so many of the vitamins and minerals that you really need. Also, since you are so young, your brain is still growing and brains need dietary fat to grow. Try add some salmon or something like that.
If you ate more meals, but less at each meal(think of using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate), it would be healthier for you as your blood sugars would be more balanced throughout the day.
On the plus side, walking is an excellent idea. Just be careful not to overdo it, ok? If you feel out of breath or anything, stop, rest.
lm 16 and my weight is 160 lb and 5.6 is my weight ok or l need to loss weight
Hey!
Eating breakfasts helps to boost your metabolism. I've read that it should be your biggest meal of the day. You should at least consume 400 calories for breakfast, and I know that sounds like a lot, but it gives you a boost for the rest of the day, so your metabolism doesn't slow down.
I used to skip breakfast occasionally to lose weight. It is the easiest meal to skip. Its usually made me feel sick and dizzy, and that can't be healthy. It probably is making you weaker. (since you're a boy that's definitely not good! Girls aren't attracted to guys they can beat up!)
I've also read in severl weight loss magazines that you should eat an early dinner, (just FYI), and less at night in general. Some say you shouldn't eat after seven, others say you shouldn't eat after nine. When I diet I usually go with seven just to be safe.
Good luck, an I hope you can lose in a safe, healthy way.
Studies have shown that children who do not eat a breakfast have a harder time in learning or functioning at school.  Especially when they have a test.  So not eating breakfast also affects your mind and body development.When you don't eat for a long time or enough protein, the body is set up where to protect itself it will take the protein, calcium etc for your bones and muscles from areas of your body including your heart.  

Also, your metabolism begins with your first bite of food so it is suggested that the sooner you take that bite, the faster your metabolism kicks in and for a longer period of time.  And as previously commented on, the body goes into a starvation mode and will not release the fat because it feels it needs it and at the same time it slows down the metabolism so you don't burn it up.  It's a protection mode.  Also, in time, your immune system can break down.  So young man, eat your breakfast and it will be a win win for you, your mind and body.
Did anyone watch "Biggest Loser" yesterday? There is one contestant who is a teenager, severely overweight and tried eating less calories than what the trainer recommended and was having very slow weight loss. When he started eating MORE and still did the workouts, he LOST more weight. Cool!
wat the hell man wat are u thinkin about not eatin at all WTF shame on u shame on ur family and shame on ur cow
heyy murty wats up how are u ...?
DUDE EAT UR BREAKFAST.... U WILL BECOME A MUAY THAI CHAMP LIKE ME IF U EAT FOOD.. UR A DUMB ARSE NOT EATING FOOD :S
I just turned 16, 2/10/93. Im about 6'4" 250lbs. Im constantly on the computer. I've finally realized it has been ruining my life. I feel horrible at times, i constantly get sick over every little thing. Since ive been taking weight lifting in school and cutting back my eating ive noticed i havnt been eating as much without trying and ive been doing crunches before bed. Ive been feeling alot better, ive had alot more energy then ive had before. Any clue how i can drop some weight without suffering my strength too bad. And how can i get rid of these stretch marks.
A good way to lose fat while still keeping your muscle is to eat 4-5 small well-balanced meals throughout the day. The meals should be high in fiber and protein and low in fats, sugars, and calories. Some examples are regular oatmeal (not the ones that come in little sugary packages), vegetables, chicken, rice, and fish. A good thing to have for when you don't have time to eat is protein shakes. I personally drink one when I wake up and one before I go to bed. Since the meals are high in fiber you won't have to eat as much to get filled up. And since they are high in protein you won't run the risk of loosing your muscle. You also should do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day to keep your heart strong and to lose fat. As for the stretch marks I can't really help you there.
Reading through this string, I am saddened by what I am reading.  There seems to be such distortion of what size our bodies need to be, how to be healthy or whether we are even interested in whether we are or not and the pressure of our peers and the undue pressure we put on ourselves.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Eating breakfast is crucial to being healthy and maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle.  To a great extent, we should look to the height and weight charts formulated by the National Institutes of Health and then stay somewhat close to those ranges.

If a person is interested in losing weight when they are truly overweight .. or maintaining weight in a healthy manner .. then a healthy diet consisting of lean meats, complex carbohydrates, fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy and good fats should be implemented.  Research shows that not only should a person eat 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner), it is also beneficial to eat 3 snacks a day.  This keeps your metabolism functioning at healthy levels and avoids the highs and lows in our blood sugar levels.

Having survived an eating disorder .. and continuing to deal with it .. I remain available to help any of you who may be affected by it or wish to address it.

Very best wishes to each of you .. I am truly concerned and care.
im leah hayward on i love pies and chips i like to suck eggs and eat toast  love you all :) x
my eyes killing.. awhhh blesss x :D never guess wha,..... ohh dunoo
lets play a love game play a love game if you want love just play a love game
Im 16 and weigh 115.
I eat all day ery day!!!
And smoking weed helps me do so....
man im in the same boat you are but i eat too much i need to exercise more and i cant do much. i try do lift weights and walk everywhere but i dont have the motivation... i weigh 235lbs and i would like to be at least 200 or less but i need some advice on exercise
you are stupid and immature.
I am a 16 year old boy whom is 6'1 and I weigh 114 pounds, I am supposed to weigh at least 180 pounds, so I would say your doing good.

-Kyle Lyndsay Anderson
i am a 17 year old boy trying to gain weight, i try to eat breakfast, eat lunch, supper an i eat snacks all day, AN I ONLY WEIGH 115!!! any help?
im 16 years old and a boy im 5'9 and weigh 190 and im very self conscious bout my weight i now im overweight but by how much?i hate being fat!
and how do i get rid of stretch marks?
im 16 6ft and 200lbs. should i loose weight or stay the same. and how much should i loose and how would be the best way for me to loose the weight. please help me
from sean
hi my name in malcolm . i just turned sixteen this month . everyone says i look thinner (i'm not thin) than i use to look back in my 13teen's i was too chubby and plump back then . now i am 6 feet and i weight almost 200lbs or a little lesser than that . my aunt is the only person who bugs me i have become fatter . so i decided to completely change my diet for the best . morning - drink green tea and eat some nuts . afternoon - yogurt and an apple . evening ( same as morning ) and night same as afternoon . for exercises i really dont have much time , too much studies . but i do a little dumble lifting (8kg) , some crunches (abt 50) and for the legs i take an 1/2 hr walk after school instead of using my school bus. any more advice ? i have started this like just yesterday and i lost  1kg.
You are not eating nearly enough food, for a growing boy; you are literally starving yourself.  

You need to calculate how many calories you need/day and eat them. You are getting very little nutrition in the diet you are eating.  
thank you, hmmm, so i changed my diet when it comes to lunch as well as dinner. i started eating tomatoes, curd with 2 kabuuses (an arabic country bread (no fat), i am an indian from india but a citizen of kuwait )so i hope i'm not literally starving myself now i am eating more of veggies. my dad gives me a small piece of chicken for my dinner meal , even though it worries me. is this okay now ?
and now that this is the third day i am following my new diet, i have lost 3-4 kgs.
It still doesn't sound like you are eating enough calories, but I don't know what the bread is made of, so can't really say on that.  

You need more veggies - not just tomatoes.  

I'm not a math whiz, but my calculation shows that 3-4 kg, is equal to 6.6-8.8 pounds.  That's WAY too much to lose in 3 days.  

Safest weight loss is 1-2 pounds (0.5-0.9 kg) per week.  

You are still young and your body is not fully developed; in order for you to develop properly and be healthy, you need to eat well - not necessarily a lot, just things that are good for you. Often as children grow taller, they begin to slim down, so it's not unusual that you would look thinner at 16 than you did at 13.  

I'm not familiar with your customs. Do all of your family eat the same things you are eating?  You need to eat lots of veggies, lean meats (chicken is great) and dairy for protein.  Most veggies have very few calories, so can be eaten freely. Nuts are good for you, but most have a pretty high fat content, so should be limited to a few/day.  

Instead of "being on a diet", you should be making lifestyle changes that you can live with from now on, because you can't maintain this "diet" for very long and there's a good chance you will regain the weight. Watching portion sizes and losing weight slowly, will make it easier for you to keep it off, and will allow you to continue developing in a healthy manner.
yes i know , its not only tomatoes i eat , cucumber, carrot and many greens with the curd and at night the same thing along with a piece of chicken etc  . so i guess lack of eating will loose too much weight and it sounds not good so i have increased in eating (only healthy) food. since you asked about my family when it comes to veggies its well .... i'm not really sure u'll understand cause we eat mostly indian food (and i dont know what they are called in english) like daal, all sorts of bajjies (almost all are very healthy) and when it comes to meats i hope you know that our indian culture is very rich in spices and most of the meat food are spicey but my aunt reduces on that (she may make the food spicey mostly during christmas and special events) and i am the only one who has changed the diet , my family is on with their usual. yes i do the nuts part for snacks instead of potato chips and all other junk foods, i quit all that. the bread i eat is completely fat free and is healthy. so now that you have said, i have understood the changes i have to make in my diet. thank you very much for you're generous help. if i ever again need help regarding my eating habits i'll definately come here.
regards from - malcolm and family.
I'm glad to hear that you eat a variety of veggies.  I do know that Indian food is usually heavily spiced AND I can tell you that some spices (for instance, red pepper) are conducive to weight loss, which is a good thing.  

It sounds like you might just need to watch your portion sizes and make sure you get adequate exercise in order to lose weight.

As your body matures, you may naturally slim down.

By all means, don't hesitate to come back here, in fact, feel free to check in and post regularly.  
oh yes sure i come back for more advice. thank you and have a happy halloween on 31st. :)
im jay .. 16 years old , 155lbs..  Here is my Plan meal.. Breakfast: only cereal Lunch: none  Dinner: only 2 piece of bread. I exercise every day,  2 times a day. Im not eating meat and rice.   I already lost 5 kgs in 13days  using this plan meal..  Is my meal plan is Ok? please help me... my mind is bugging me if I eat meat and rice my weight will be added again.. pLEASE help me

please read this and reply
Hi I'm also 16 but my weight is 220 lbs
So what should I do. I went to gym for 1 month but there was not a single kg drop

Are you eating too many calories? How long are you spending at the gym?  Sometimes, if you're getting a lot of exercise, you're building muscle, so weight loss will be slower, but your body will be getting smaller.