Weight Loss & Dieting Community
metformin - insomnia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

metformin - insomnia

I tried looking through here for a possible answer but could not find one. I was recently diagnosed diabetic 3-4 weeks ago , i was immediately put on a tablet called metformin 500g . I started to take this medication with food, but i have noticed that since i have been taking it i just cannot sleep at night, i could go to bed at 12am and still be wide awake at 5am, i had 4 days on the spin like this, so one day i did not take metformin, that night i had a pretty good nights sleep.
The next day i took metformin and im back to not being able to sleep, i was wondering if this is a known side effect ?and if so what can i do , or is just a coincidence ?
any help on this would be appreciated.thanks
Insomnia is one of many side effects of metformin. I would talk to your doctor and let them know that you're having trouble sleeping and maybe they can switch your meds or give you a sleep aid. I suffer from insomnia naturally and its no fun. It doesn't seem so bad at first but you get to the point where you can barely function so take care of it now before it gets out of hand. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply jenn :) , atleat i know im not losing my marbles lol. i just had a call from gp , and he has told me to try and persevere with it for a while and then maybe also give me another med, cannot remember what he called it, but it was glu-something lol. it has started to get annoying and making me very snappy. :(
You're very welcome. You are definitely not losing it lol. I was on metformin for a while and I didn't like it but it's different for everyone. I know that with time metformin does get a little better. It made me sick to my stomach when I first started taking it and after about a month I started to get used to it and it wasn't so bad. Hopefully your body will adjust to it or if you switch your meds you can finally get back on track with your sleep. Good luck and hope you feel back to normal soon.
You might talk to your doctor about taking a tylenol PM or something to help you sleep until your body adjusts to the metformin.  Or maybe you could start on a smaller dose of metformin to allow your body time to adjust, then increase slowly.  Just suggestions to mention to your doctor.