Weight Loss & Dieting Community
motivation / will power

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

motivation / will power

Ok, so I really don't have much weight to lose (approx 15 lbs).  It's mostly around my tummy.  I had a baby 8 months ago and my goal is to get my flat stomach back by summer (Memorial Day).  I don't have a problem with exercise.  I can walk/run every day, the problem is my eating....which I know is the reason for my flabby belly (aside from being pregnant as well).  I would just like to know what keeps everyone motivated, etc...  I like to eat, and not healthy stuff, unfortunately.  I want what I crave.  How can I get in a mindset that I can't eat that stuff and eat healthier?  I need some will power.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks!  
What foods are you craving exactly?  See....for myself, I do not think of this as a diet.  I look at it as a long-term lifestyle change.  Over the long term....I absolutely cannot deprive myself entirely forever of things that are treats.  I just have to be a bit pickier about the treats themselves and the serving portions.  There are a lot of products that come in 100 calorie snack packs these days that might help a bit with some of those cravings, provided that you only allow yourself one portion.  Another thing that I personally like to do is to switch some snacks to healthier versions that give me the same 'feel'.  For examplee....no more potato chips for me, but I can still get that crunch with a serving of salt-free pretzels or air popped popcorn.  

So far as mindset goes, I'm pretty stubborn.  ; )  Once I get it into my mind that I want something and I am going to do it....it's going to happen and I won't quit until it does.  It might take a little while and it will take me some work, but it's going to happen.  Are you able to fix your mind in this way as well?  Find a saying that is in line with your feelings about what your goals are and post it everywhere that you go (mirror, refrigerator door, cupboard door, computer monitor) so that you will be reminded at every turn.  

Check out the post on Motivational Monday....that is what that particular post is all about!  Motivation....  ; )  
I just like to eat ****, plan and simple.  I can do the occasional healthy meal, but it just doesn't appeal to me to eat it all the time because it doesn't satisfy my cravings.  On a typical day for me - @ breakfast, I will eat a breakfast burrito or some kind of breakfast sandwich - @ lunch, I will eat a sandwich of some sort and chips (I love chips!) - @ dinner, I do a little better with meat and veggies, but we do seem to eat a lot of pasta and/or potatoes as well.  I desparetley NEED to give these things up, it's just hard!  As for soda, I typically only drink one soda a day (a coke in the mornings for my caffiene fix).  
You are so right....it can be so hard!  One thing to remember is this...start small.  Make one small change and get used to that....after you are used to that change you can make another small change.  For instance, you can exchange regular chips for baked chips or pretzels with your lunch.  You could also look into the calories and nutrient contents on the pastas and/or potatoes that you have with dinner and cut back to a smaller portion size.  Barb135 (a member in this community) recommends using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate with meals.  Less food looks like a whole lot more on a smaller plate.  ; )  Also try eating very slowly and drinking a large glass of water before meals.  

I know it can be hard kkRoss...but you can do it!  I know that very soon some of our other members will come along with some great suggestions that are not coming to my mind this morning.  Whatever you do....Don't give up!  That's the one sure way to keep yourself in the game no matter what...just keep on trying.  ; )  

Thank you!  I am bound and determined to do this.  I know I will feel so much better about myself if I would just lose this weight.....and 15 lbs isn't that much.   I have to admit though, I also have bad influences around me - friends who like to eat out all the time and my husband who can eat anything and never gain a pound!  ugh...
im a junk food addict as well!! and im wanting to lose about what you too!! if you crave the chips and sweet stuff like me then go and buy the 100 calorie packs of that stuff then you can eat the whole package and not be like OMG i just ate like 500 cals. lol!! They really are good though!! GL with your weight loss!!