Weight Loss & Dieting Community
veggies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

veggies

does anyone know how to get 4 cups of veggies in a day? i need 2 for lunch and 2 for supper... i need ideas on ways to cook them and such
Do you need to 4 CUPS of veggies/day or 4 SERVINGS/day? You can spread it out a bit more -- eat a cup of raw veggies (carrots, celery, sweet pepper strips, etc) for snacks.

Steamed or roasted veggies make a great addition to meals - you can use either fresh or frozen veggies. If you must use canned veggies, make sure you get the "low sodium variety.  I also like to stir fry - you can take some shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, etc and stir fry them together.  I also prefer my veggies cooked so they are still "tender crisp" -- just don't care for the "well done" texture.  

You can drizzle your veggies with olive oil or lemon juice with a bit of freshly ground pepper and sea salt or whatever condiments you prefer, but watch the calories - olive oil has quite a few calories, but it's still good for you and will help you feel fuller.  

Also, don't forget the salad greens -- they would be considered veggies as well - a large salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper strips or whatever other veggies you like will also make a great addition to your meals.  

You can also check out the new "Nutrition Application" that Med Help just came out with -- I would think there might be some ideas there.........
Mashed cauliflower!  I can take an entire bag of frozen cauliflower, steam it, and then use a hand blender with sparing amounts of milk/margarine/salt, and the final product is much more dense than the starting ingredients.  If you like mashed potatoes, this is a good substitute.  
When you are making pasta saute some chopped onions, carrots, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, whatever you like, and add it in.  My husband will snack on roasted root vegetables (carrots, parnsnips, turnip, sweet potato, beets, etc.) roasted with a bit of olive oil or canola oil, S & P and a tbsp. of maple syrup near the end.  Loves the carmelization.  When you make a sandwich add tomatoes, lettuce and srpouts.  Keep a big container of baby spinach in your fridge.  Quickly add it to almost anything you are making.  If I make an egg I put it on spinach.  Chili - serve it on spinach (and add chopped carrots and celery to the chili).  The heat of the cooked food softens the spinach.  Make stews with lots of veggies.  Make wraps for lunch with veggies in them.  Make soups.  One of my favorite snacks is cut up cucumber and tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and S & P and munch away.