Weight Loss & Dieting Community
vitiam D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

vitiam D

I just had blood work and my vitiam D is less than 7. My doctor said she had never seen one so low. She put me on 50,000 IU of Vitiam D every day for 3 weeks, then one time a week after that. When i went to pick up my vitiam D from the pharmacy they were shocked that the doctor wanted me take that much. Has anyone ever had that low a vitiam D reading and what did your doctor do for you.

Maggiemay
Why was your vitamin D level checked?  Do you have some other medical condition?  

You could ask for the test to be repeated, too.  Lab errors can happen.  
I had a low level of 11 and my doctor put me on 2000 IU a week. I suggest you ask your doctor why they put you on so much. There is a great article on WebMD about low vitamin D levels, it pretty common problem these days.
One of the members on here - ChitChatNine - she's one of the CL's on the thyroid forum - had really low levels and I think she was on 50,000 for a while.  You might try getting hold of her. I think she's quite knowledgeable about it.  

I'm with peekawho - do you have other medical conditions?  Why was your vitamin D checked to begin with?  Low levels of vitamin D are quite common these days and seem to go hand in hand with some other conditions.  
IMPORTANT .... demand a blood test before that time frame on that much Vitamin D .. that is my opinion because just the other day my doctor called and wants me off all supplements because it can be toxic if too much taken and wants me retested before he will renew my script.

My level (and they tested 2X to be certain it was accurate at the lab) was a 9 (severe low) and they started out on 50,000 iu's ONE time a week and then upped it to 50,000 2X a week and last test my levels were normal and now I am back to only 1 X a week 50,000 iu's

If a pharmacist delicately sugests it may be a lot .. I'd run to find out info and get a 2nd opinion maybe as well as ask the pharmacist what the outer limits are for the med .. they can tell you any factual thing about the med they have records for.

I am concerned aobut the 50,000 iu's every day for 3 weeks.

And, I agree you need you a thorough workup to see why you are so low.  Mine was symptomatic that led me to the doc with hypo feelings and leg cramps even though my TSH was VERY normal.

Not to alarm you, but I am not a doc but 350, 000 iu's a week is a big dose ????

C~
Oh geez .. this is a post from July!

What and how are you doing?

C~
I didn't notice how old it was either - just saw that someone made a recent comment - guess I need to look a bit closer, huh??  
Well ladies .. think it is GREAT to have the updated info anyway ... as these topics are still searchable!  Thanks!!!
And, we've seen on Thyroid that when we post anything about Vitamin D .. tons of new members stop by shortly after!  So looks like we've helped many on our WLD community in the long-run and I've PM'd the orig. poster and hope she's doing okay.

C~
Here is a link to the Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D from the Office of Dietary Supplements • National Institutes of Health.  The Table of Contents is copied below to show you the categories.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

Table of Contents

Introduction
      Reference Intakes
      Sources of Vitamin D
      Vitamin D Intakes and Status
      Vitamin D Deficiency
      Groups at Risk of Vitamin D Inadequacy
      Vitamin D and Health
      Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin D
      Interactions with Medications
      Vitamin D and Healthful Diets
      References
I went to the website listed above - very interesting, since I've just found out that my vitamin D levels are low, in spite of the fact that I'm outside (in the sun) for as much as several hours/day........I'm in the process of obtaining a new pcp and as soon as I get an appt, I will hopefully get more answers; in the meantime, I've started taking a supplement, keeping in mind that excess levels can be toxic.......
Hello I just wanted to share with you my vitamin D was at 8% and my Dr. put me on 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks now I take 2,000 IU a day to keep it at the levels it should be. Good Luck to you.