Weight Loss & Dieting Community
why cant I lose weight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

why cant I lose weight?

Hello all,

Im really frustrated trying to lose 5-10 lbs. I Work out (cardio/pilates) 2 hrs a day. eat lots of fruit and veggies, calorie intake is around 1300, and all for around 3 months now.  I cant seem to lose anything. any ideas why or what I could do for that.
Please help, im concidering surgical options if i cant do this.
Hey Penny,, I feel your frustration as I TOO am just TRYING TO shed 5 to 10 pounds... not ALOT of weight to loose but enough that would make me FEEL better..  and I just can't seem to.. I power walk  2 miles EVERYDAY.plus ride my horse and for the LIFE of me I'm STUCK...

I've  always ate healthy and have even cut back on my healthy eating.. so, My thought is just that I'm gonna be FAT AND FIFTY (but HEALTHY)...
I was gonna try Slim Quick but after reading the reviews decided against it as it seems to be all hype...marketing...

Let me know if you find a way to SHED that 5-10 pounds as I'd LOVE to be able to.

Good Luck and IF nothing else THINK SKINNY!

Norco Queen

P.S. I am a "recoverying pill person"  been clean for 87 days and one of my thoughts is that maybe my BODY is STILL trying to FIND it's self....Not sure about that though.
Hi!!!

It is funny you mention the pills, because for the last 3 months ive been trying different ones to no avail. ARGGGH. I eat so healthy and work out hard and is so frustrating. If you find anything that works as well:)
Thanks for the support!
Hello penny 10 and NorcoQueenoftheUniverse ... am so pleased to see you posting in the community.  Looked at both your profiles and see that Penny has started using the Food Diary.  In reviewing the day I see posted, may I most respectfully suggest that you start combining some lean proteins, fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy, complex carbohydrates.  The same would be true for you NorcoQueen, and may I suggest you begin using the Food Diary as it will give you an accurate account of what you are eating.

In addition, if you will implement the exercise, weight and mood trackers ... along with the food diary ... this gives us a clear picture on how to provide you with the information needed to break your plateau and move you forward in your journey.  To target 5-10 pounds is most doable and we're here to support you.  Remember, the calories that are figured in the Food Diary are to "maintain" your weight, you must lower that by 3,500 calories for each pound you wish to lose and or increase your exercise or the intensity of your exercise to burn calories to lose.  

Once you have done your Food Diary for a week and hopefully implemented these other trackers, we'll be able to point you in the right direction to achieve your goals.  Remember ... one day at a time ... and it will come off slowly (1-1 1/2 lbs per week) with a week every now and then that you plateau.

Remember to change up your exercise!  Your body quickly adapts to an exercise routine, so surprise it with new things every day.  Walking, riding a bicycle, swimming, tennis, kick ball, jump rope, hula hoop, dancing, aerobics, pilates, yoga ... keep experiencing new things to invigorate yourself and find some new hobbies you may like!

Hope to hear from you both very soon and welcome, welcome, welcome to the WL&D community.  Norco, please join the community and CONGRATULATIONS on your 87 days!!!  You should be so proud of you!!!

Love and Hugsss ..
Ranae
Hi Ranae,

Thank you for the suggestions, Can I ask you more about what you mean with my diet. I am under 1,000 cal intake, and I dont feel comfortable adding food to my day. Am I not getting enough? Why am i not then losing weight if so. Honestly I dont want to gain muscle, I feel that I have muscle, I just want to lean and thin out. And I do alot of different excersizes as well. Are there protien out there that dont have a lot of calories?
Thanks so much!
Just off the top of my head, you are not eating enough calories so your body is going into starvation mode and holding onto the weight.  

Please send me, either here or in a private message, your height, weight, age, sex (male or female) and activity level ... (sedentary, somewhat active, active, very active).  I'll help you calculate the calories you should be eating to LOSE 1-2 pounds a week.

A good protein will add some calories, but you need some calories (I believe .. will know when we look at your stats).  

To lean out and thin out .. you may want to try yoga, pilates, stretching, resistance bands .. they will not "bulk" you up but help lean your muscles.

Looking forward to hearing from you.  ;)
Hello Ranae,

And thank you so much for your time to help me. I really appreciate it, May I ask, Is your profession in this field?
I am Female, 5'11", 140 lbs, and i would say very active-work out 2 hours 5 days a week and 1 hr on the weekend. I Run, do Pilates, and do aerobic and light weight vidoes.
I want to lose 10 lbs, I eat about the same things everyday, but vary the fruits and veggies.
Thanks again!
Hi Penny ..

This is not my profession, but I consider it my honor and privilege to pay forward the kindness and assistance others gave to me.  While I worked in the medical field (not as a professional) I learned all the answers but was never able to implement them.  Personally, it took the love, caring and steadfast friendship of a few caring people to believe in me for me to believe in myself and do the work.  My life was changed forever.

I will be happy to look up the statistics for you, and assume (always afraid to do that) that you are female.  Howeover, I still need your age.  

Will be out till this afternoon but will look for your answer and then get back to you.  Thanks for being an active participant .. (((Hugs)))

Sorry, Im 23 yr old female.
:)
Hello again, It really is confusing me, because I always thought if you burn off more calories then you take in you will lose weight, So adding food to my diet really gives me anxiety. Can you explain more on what you think I should do?
Thanks again!
If you don't give your body enough calories, it will think there won't be enough to sustain the vital processes (heart, kidneys, etc), so it will hold onto fat in preparation --- called the "starvation mode" that Ranae referred to.  

I did a quick search for height/weight -- does not take into consideration your age or activity level - and copied it below........

Height                Small Frame              Medium Frame             Large Frame
  5'11"                    135-148                      145-159                      155-176

At 5'11", 140 pound female, it does not appear that you are overweight at all.  Even if you have a small frame, you are right in the middle of the range; for medium/large frame you are actually UNDER weight...........

I'd also like to point out that not all exercise will make you "bulk up" with muscle.  You need a variety of exercise -- as Ranae suggested - pilates, yoga, etc....that's not necessarily to BUILD muscle, but to maintain/tone.....

Good luck........
Hi Barb,

Thank you for the info. I know im not overweight, but I am still trying to lose just 5-10 lbs, and stumped as to to why from my excersize and healthy eating. Ive always been a very healthy eater and active, but the added excersize was in attept to lose a little more, and did not know why it would not work.
What should I do anyone- eat more to lose weight?? It sounds wrong to me.
:)
Thanks again
I agree with Ranae that you aren't eating enough calories - or the right kind of calories.  And sometimes, it's harder to lose just 5-10 pounds than it would be if you had 20-30 pounds to lose.  

You can add foods in the form of lean protein and low/no fat dairy (the calcium in dairy is said to aid weight loss) and still add calories, but not fat.  But then you still need the "good" fat - monounsaturated - such as that found in olive oil, avocados, some nuts, etc.  

If you don't give your body enough of the nourishment it needs, it will hold onto what it has already.  
Interesting thought about the body holding on to fat if it's not getting enough..

I am a 50 year old MENOPAUSAL women who within the last year has gained about 10 pounds... Of note: I haven't changed my eating habits and or my exercise routine.. which includes (power)  walking 2 to 3 miles a day... riding my horse.. and riding my bike..

I am 5 feet 4 inches and weigh 130 pounds.. (WHICH is FAT for me.. I USED to weigh around 117 to 120 and felt GOOD at that weight)

Why am I getting so darn FAT?!?!?!

Maybe Im being paranoid, but I dont think I could add food to my diet without feeling guilty that I am adding calories.
What happened to the ''burn more calories than you consume to lose" weight rule? Wont i eventually lose weight this way. You promise I wont gain? ;)

Thank you for your response

I agree with penny10 that WHY on earth would I want to ADD calories to my already expanding waist line...????

Like I said.. I eat healthy... exercise and am still not losing weight...
Maybe it's just being 50 and in Menopause.. ????

Not sure.. but I'm NOT happy...about being 50 AND FAT!
Your body needs the right nutrients and if you don't provide them, it will hold onto what's already there........

Penny -- I took a peek at your food diary earlier and I notice the only fat you are getting comes from your soy chips (I think that's what it was)....  and you aren't getting much protein.  Your body needs "good" fats - like those found in olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc - basically, the monounsaturated fats..  Lean protein is necessary to help build/maintain muscles - muscles burn more calories than fat does.  It's also proven that low/no fat dairy can actually aid in weight loss - the recommendation is 3 servings/day from either milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.  Dairy also provides some of the needed protein without a lot of calories.  I noticed that most days, you ate less than 1000 calories and even at MY height (5"), I've been cautioned by my doctors many times to NEVER go below 1000 calories -- at your height and level of activity, you need much more than that.  

NorcoQueenoftheUniverse -- I checked your profile and I don't see that you are using the food diary, so I don't know what you are considering "healthy eating".  If you could give me an idea of a day's worth of food, I might be able to help you more.  

You also say that your are "menopausal" -- if you are taking any kind of replacement hormone, that can cause you to gain weight, as can fluid retention, etc.  I might also recommend that you talk to your doctor and have your thyroid levels checked.  If your thyroid is not functioning properly, it will slow down your metabolism so even though you don't change your eating/exercise habits, you will gain weight.  

That's what happened to me -- I'm only 5' tall and almost always weighted <= 110-115 pounds until a couple of years ago when I ballooned (literally) up to 140 in less than 3 months and eventually made it to 150 before I was diagnosed hypothyroid, got on med and was able to at least STOP gaining --- now my thyroid levels are pretty much balanced and I'm on the journey to actually LOSE again.

Last, but not least -- if you are doing the same exercises every day (or every time you exercise), your body will get used to it and it will no longer be a challenge so you won't burn as many calories.  You should change around both your exercise and eating patterns to keep your body "off guard" so to speak.  
Hey,

Where did you go:)
Sorry to say, I haven't heard from Ranaesheart for several days.  I know she had some pretty serious personal issues going on -- that may be what's up now.  I'll do whatever I can to help you in her absence.  
Hello Barb,

I hope everything is ok with Ranae...

As of yet. ive been maintaining my weight, Working out 2 hrs a day. All kinds of workouts. And eating the same everyday. So if I add calories in the form of yogurt of tofu(protien/fat) I wont gain weight? Im sorry if I am repeating, It just sounds so opposite of what ive been trying to do (eat little calories,and working out hard). Will I eventually lose weight as I am going do you think? Also, would i need to work out more to burn off added calories?
I also should add, I dont want to gain muscle either, I want to flat out get skinnier..")
Thanks for your help.

If what your doing is not working you should try something different. Beating a dead horse will get you nowhere. I would start with what Barb135 and Ranaesheart have said. I have lost 50 pounds and have never had less than 1200 calories in a day and it's probably closer to 1300-1400 a day. I also workout and I'm not bulking up I'm getting lean and defined. Try it, it will work. Good Luck!
Hello there,

May I ask, What exersize do you do, . I personally like the at home video tapes, and have a vareity of them now- also treadmill.
Thanks for your support. Im super strict with how I eat, because of the lack of progress, so i might have to change my habits slowly.
At the age of 13 I lost 90 lbs in about 3 months(in the wrong way-anorexia), and it has caused some distorted visions of myself, and sometimes Im not sure what to do. I know I can lose weight without not eating, but I just cant seem to do it, so the reasurrance is much appreciated. :)
I walk 90 minutes 3 days a week. I go to the park when I can and when I can't I get on my treadmill. I do 30 minutes twice a week of strength training using 3 and 5 pound hand weights. I use DVD's from the library. I use a ball with the one DVD and a chair with the other. Both DVD's are for upper, lower, and middle. A full body workout. When I think they are getting to easy I'll switch them out for others.

My view of myself is also distorted sometimes. A picture sometimes helps me see what's really there. I also know that I can't look that bad because my weight is normal and I'm in a normal clothes size. You could ask your doctor what weight he thinks would be good or what he thinks is the minimum you should weigh. Sometimes you have to ignore yourself and listen to others. That is hard too because sometimes you need to ignore others and listen to yourself. I have my good and bad days just like everyone else but lately I'm having more good days than bad when it come to liking my body.

You can do this and like I said, if it's not working try something different. My sister went to a dietitian. They can tell you everything and even come up with a detailed menu to make sure your getting enough and the right foods. You usually need a prescription from your doctor to go but if your going to see him anyway it can't hurt. I know it my seem silly to you but this might just be the reassurance you need that your doing the right thing and your on the right track. I know I'll never be completely satisfied with myself but I think I'm doing a pretty good job of finding a happy medium. I'm sure you can too!
Hi Penny.  What the ladies are saying is true.  When I am working on losing weight and find that I can't budge, I will increase my calories per day (trying to stick to healthy fats, low fat dairy, lean protein) by about 200 for a couple of days.  I then eat 200 less calories per day for a couple of days and I start to lose again.  Give it a try and see if you see some movement.
Hi Penny,

I was looking over your delima...because I too am very active and eat pretty healthy, yet don't seem to be shedding any weight. With that being said, and with all due respect...I think that your issue is not weight loss related. As an recovering anorexic, it appears that you may have some body image issues. I am 5'10 so I know it is easy to get wrapped up in a number, your weight is under wieght in my opinion. I hope that you are able to come to this realization I wish you the best.
Were you to lose weight (and I can't imagine why you would want to) you would lose all your feminine softness. Models are very thin because they photograph heavier and because the seller wants you to look at the dress, not the body under it. You may have never met a model in person. Believe me, they do not have beautiful bodies - all bones and angles and no breasts.
Penny the reason you cant lose weight is because your are actually underweight right now, and you are partially starving your body. It is trying to hold on to all the calories you give it. Though you might not be technically underweight, that fact that you diet heavily, work out plenty, and still don't lose weight is a clear message from your body that it doesn't want to lose any more pounds. You are at the lowest end of the healthy limit your body wants to go. It is unhealthy to try to lose weight when you are underweight, just as unhealthy as being overweight. You should focus on eating more healthy fats and lean meats. Adding some muscle will really tone your body, though you may gain a few pounds, you will likely look better, and the added muscle will burn more calories, so you can safely increase your caloric intake without gaining more weight. One thing you should be looking at more than your weight, is your body fat, since many people have different amounts of bone. I would check your body fat and see what that is. To note, 12% is considered the lowest healthy level of body fat for females, I would strongly recommend not going below this. If you lose too much weight/fat you are much more likely to develop health problems.
I understand your problem..but see Regular exercise is most beneficial for our health,because it reduces so many disses like cancer, diabetes etc.regular exercise improving our mental health also so just try it....