Weight Loss & Dieting Community
working 3rd shift and dieting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dieting, alcohol and dieting, balanced menus, weight loss, success stories, exercise, metabolism, healthy dieting, healthy snacks, holiday dieting tips, nutrition, and weight loss surgery. covered are discussions relating to specific diet plans like the South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Counting Calories, Fat Flush, Body for Life and other diets.

working 3rd shift and dieting?

hi, im new to the forum and ive tried searching for this and i come up empty handed....so is there anyone out there like myself on their weightloss journey working 3rd shift? just looking for some testimonials i guess. my schedule is backwards for most and do what the majority of the world would do in the day, atnight. meaning how i eat. i typically stop eating around 1p (thats dinner for me) then im off to bed by 3pm and up by 11 and start my shift by midnite.

for those of you that are on my schedule is it hard to do? any advice is welcomes. thx
Tags: B12
I worked third shift for a few years. It doesn't really matter when you eat but what and how much. The only problem I can see having is it's easy to pick during work and night shift has more potlucks than any other shift. I also think you have to make sure you get enough sleep which you seem to be doing and make sure you exercise even if you are active. I know it's hard but you can do it.
thanks, i kinda hoped that it didnt matter when i ate, just aslong as my portions were correct and i was active.
I work 3rd shift now in security and I know how hard it is to still eat sensible because where I work is in office buildings and there's vending machines all around lol. But I pack my own lunch/dinner/breakfast and throw in a few pieces of fruit to satisfy my hunger. I work a 11pm to 7am shift and it is hard. But if you head to a 24 hour grocery store and you can afford it, pick up some fruit on your way in and munch on that during your shift.
hey thanks, i work the midnite to 8 shift so we're in the same boat. thanks for the advice, luckily there arent any vending machines at my site lol idk what id do if there were. i planned on packing bfast, lunch and maybe dinner and fruit for snacks while at work. i start my diet officially on friday instead of today, so we'll see how this works!
I work 3rd shift. I get up eat my breakfest at home,pack my lunch and snacks, and come home and have a light dinner.Try to do some yoga or wii. Kinda have to think backwards LOL! I just wish I could give up the soda and dink more water!!! I work the
10 p.m. to 7 a.m. shift.
ahhhh more ppl in my same boat lol. glad to see im not the only one here. hows the wii fit? im definately gonna invest in one NOW.
You will LOVE IT!! I love my wii. It makes working out so much fun! The dvd that comes with it (Wii Fit Plus) is so much fun! There are alot of different things to do snowball fight,skate boarding,hula hoop, yoga and kick boxing are just some.I checked out most of the exercises,tried some of them. I already have my fav. I personally find it to one of the best electronic items I have bought in along time. I say go for it! MPB
great ill definately be looking for one of those then. having fun whileu exersize good stuff!
I am wondering the same thing.  When my daughter turned 6 months I started working 3rd shift for the better of our family...boy did I ever find out how hard 3rd shift is!!!  I have become addicted to working out after I put my daughter (now 9 months to bed and right before I go to work..I work 1030 to 7 with about a 45 min drive).  I am working so hard to try to lose the rest of my "baby" weight, but I started gaining since I started working the night shift.  After battles of sickness like I have never experienced during all of my life (from the flu to countless stomach viruses) I started working out before I go to work ( I am addicted).  AS well as packing tons of so called "super foods" that I can munch on during my long work night.  I hope this helps.  Us 3rd shift workers need to stick together, honestly, no one else understands!!
...sorry that was I work out after I put her to bed (jeez I need to proof read!)