Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Body Jam Classes!!!

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Body Jam Classes!!!

I'm thinking of starting body jam classes in a few weeks as i like dancing and feel this would be a good form of exercise, the only thing is i'm obese in weight and don't have a lot of confidence, has anyone else found this class a good weight loss class?  Will i manage some of the routines being overweight?
I'm not familiar with that class in particular, but aerobic dance classes like that are great ways to make a tough cardiovascular workout fun!  You will definitely burn calories, which should translate into pounds as long as you don't enjoy a post-workout splurge.  Sounds like fun - keep us posted on your progress!

Dr. B
On Twitter @jamesbeckerman
I also are not familiar with that particular class.  My experience of gym classes, etc is that you participate to a level you feel comfortable with.  As you lose weight and your fitness levels increase you will naturally take on and do more.
I think the important thing is to go, do what you are able too and enjoy yourself.
Confidence wise, you may find it a little intimidating to begin with but as you become more familiar with the moves etc you'll relax and feel more at ease.

Just a thought.  Walking or stretching, etc may help prepare your body for the class.

J