Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Calorie in take - will my body store fat if not eating enough calories?...

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Calorie in take - will my body store fat if not eating enough calories?

I was wondering - i have been tracking my food intake for a couple of weeks now and i dont seem to be eating the right amount of calories for my height/weight. I was wondering though that seen as im not eating enough calories but going to the gym quite often will my body store the calories it is getting as fat rather than being burnt off. It is not intentional that i not eating enough calories its just that i have begun this healthy eating thing and just descovering what is good to eat and whats not.
1 Comment
If you are working out a lot you may gain some weight by building muscles.  But muscles take up less room then fat so your measurements will get smaller.  You really need to make sure your eating enough and getting enough protein b/c you are working out a lot.  You will really screw up metabolism and muscle tone if you don't eat enough.  When cutting calories sometimes you cut protein too.  Whey protein shakes made w/ skim or 1% milk is good for a dieter and someone working out a lot too.  You did not mention your height but say your overweight at 140 lbs so you have to around 5ft?? I am 33 yrs old and 5'4" and very active.  With my activity I need to eat about 1800 - 2200 calories to maintain. BTW maybe you could stand to lose some weight its not for me to say but a stranger or friend that tells you that you do with out asking their opinion is a A**hole!  You rip them a new one if anyone ever does that again!