Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Concerned...

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Concerned...

Hello, I have a problem breathing while walking up hills no matter how small the incline. I am over 100 pounds overweight and congestive heart failure runs in my family. My grandmother had it before passing on and my mother has it now. I do not have a very active lifestyle...as a matter of fact, I have a very sedentary lifestyle. I want to stop the cycle but don't know where to start. I have a treadmill here in my home just to do some walking and yet I still find myself gasping for air after 2 minutes. I will have to come to a complete stop of movement for me to catch my breath and that even takes awhile. The pressure is too intense. I would like to know should I continue to walk on my treadmill or should I see a doctor before I continue? And if advised to see a doctor before I continue, what can I do to keep some form of activity in my lifestyle.
Paula,
You already know what needs to be done, taking one step at a time.  I get it, when you say you have a treadmill and it does not mean you have to walk an hour a day, but you have to start slowly maybe 5 min's daily for two weeks.  Then increase by 5 min's every two weeks or three weeks.  It's little steps.  Remember, it about your life.  Do it for you.

Now with a family history of heart decease, you must see a doctor before starting any time of plan.  

I am about 80 pounds over weight and let me tell you my weight gain came occurred weight too fast.  So I did go get checked and now I have to make some direct changes, so I will work with you on using these treadmills.  Even if we have to stop its ok, so we stop and start until we can do 15 minutes everyday.  The point is to get physical with any type of activity and trust me even if it takes 2 yrs the weight will come off.

Good Luck

Xochitl
Hi Paula,
You don't say whether you have high BP or other related issues that could contribute to your shortness of breath. I think it is always best to get checked out before you start an exercise program. I have lost 50 lb since January 11 with WW and walking on my treadmill 4-5 days a week. I still have a TON to go, but feel about 1000% better. You can do.