Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Diabetes and Coco-Cola

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Diabetes and Coco-Cola
I have a friend with Type 1 diabetes who wants to lose 10 pounds that she has gained over the years (subsequent to her diagnosis 25 years ago).  She is unable to do so, because when her insulin becomes "low" she has to drink coca-cola to quickly restore sugar into her system (she uses an insulin pump to try to stabilize her blood glucose levels).  My question is, has anyone out there with Type 1 diabetes tried to lose weight, and if so, what sort of diet did they follow?   Also, what has their physician/nutritionist recommended when they experience moderately "low sugar levels" to restore them, if not coca-cola?  And finally, has anyone commented on whether or not the cola should be with with or without caffeine?  Thank you for any input.  She exercises on the treadmill.
Weight management in people with diabetes can be complicated - I agree.  It's also a good idea for her to discuss her medications with her doctor.  Some diabetes medications (and others) can impact weight as well.
Thank you for your response.  She is on an insulin pump, synthroid, and vitamin d.  Are there any weight-loss dietary guidelines for diabetics on the internet that she could access (or a recommended book) before visiting her MD, to be better prepared for her visit?