Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Diets don't work!!

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Diets don't work!!
I am a 42 yr old woman suffering from MS and am carrying an extra 182 pounds.  My weight was fine until about 14 years ago when I suddenly piled it on despite not changing my food intake or preparation or amount or energy expenditure.  I have had my thyroid tested several times with all results being negative as have tests for type 2 diabetes (my father has the latter).  I do suffer from B12 and folic acid deficiency.  

I have tried numerous diets and none worked except for the cambridge diet although even on that diet, my weight loss was slow to start with - I didn't lose anything in the 1st week despite not cheating!  I eventually lost all my excess weight and then followed a low fat, low sugar calorie controlled diet but put all the weight back on again! I kept a food diary after I came off the cambridge diet and walked a minimum of 15,000 steps a day and my doctor said that I was eating a healthy diet but couldn't explain why I was putting on weight at the rate of approx 10lb a month!  

It was extremely soul destroying!!! I've since discovered that I suffer from mild PCOS and I have insulin resistance.  I'm tempted to go back on the cambridge diet to lose some of the weight, but know that I can't live on it for the rest of my life, I'm also weary of going on a low carb diet as I've always been told that missing out a one of the major food groups and a bad idea!  I've also been diagnosed with MS in the last year and my main problem areas are balance and co-ordination, and bladder weakness.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I would try checking out Dr Beckerman's first blog.

I hope you don't perceive this as me invalidating real issues but you may also like to check out www.shrinkyourself.com (website for emotional eating).