Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Distended stomach

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Distended stomach
Hi, I have a really distended stomach, and I have had it for all of my life. I am not overweight (I am 5 ft 2, and 112 lbs); and the really weird thing is when I lie down my stomach does not remain bloated, however when I am standing; it really protrudes. Also, if I do not suck in my stomach when I am standing up I find it to be somewhat difficult to breathe and it feels really heavy. Even when I have lost some weight my stomach remains bloated ( it measures 32 inches around!) I've always thought that i hold weight around my stomach, but hat does not seem to be the case. Please help, what is wrong with my Constantly bloated stomach?
You could have a hernia. Not the regular little hole in the tummy wall, but a general weakness in the stomach muscles. It creates the look of a pot belly.
A related discussion, distended belly was started.