Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Excessive sweating

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Excessive sweating

I'm 64, retired and I've just had a quick medical prior to recommencing rowing for the new season. I've rowed 3 times/week for the last 2 years and on and off all my life before that. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs (1.88m and 107kg) and my heart beat is 54 and my blood pressure is 125/75 - which I'm happy with. The trouble is it doesn't take much to make me perspire.. Is this an overweight issue or something else?  
Many thanks
Geoff
Congrats on retirement and exercising regularly!

And your heart rate/BP seem in good range too!

Sweating can be a challenging issue - there is no hard and fast rule as to how much is too much.  Has your weight changed recently?  Are you sweating more than you were previously?  If the answer to both is 'yes' then there may be a link.  Generally, as long as people feel well while exercising (no chest pain or significant shortness of breath), then sweating is not cause for too much concern.  Thanks for posting!
Thanks for your response.. You're right about the weight change.. I've lost about 15lbs in the last few months and I'm trying to lose another 30lbs to return to the weight (200lbs) I was for years. I'm sweating more than previously also.. Even light DIY around the house makes me sweat more than I think I should..
Chest pains or shortness of breath when exercising? No.. neither of these are present.
Hope this helps..