Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Feeling weak and dizzy

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Feeling weak and dizzy

I recently lost 50 pounds on weight watchers. I lost it at a healthy rate of only 1-2 lbs a week and am now in the healthy weight range for my height (144 lbs and 5'4"). The problem is that lately, and in the last few months I was losing weight, I often get very dizzy and weak when I get hungry. I take a daily vitamin everyday and I know I'm eating enough but almost everytime I go more than 3-4 hours without eating, I start to feel seriously sick. Instead of just feeling hungry, I'll go from feeling perfectly fine to feeling very nauseous and faint like I'm about to pass out. As soon as I get food in me though I'm fine. I know this can't be normal and it's starting to affect my everyday life. Is this from losing weight or could it be something else?  
It might be worthwhile to have your blood sugar checked - it is possible you are becoming hypoglycemic (low sugar) and are having symptoms because of it.  The solution may be to have more frequent, smaller meals throughout the day - but talk to your doctor first.  Take care - and congrats on your weight loss and healthier lifestyle!