Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
I've cut my intake, upped my daily steps and am somehow gaining we...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I've cut my intake, upped my daily steps and am somehow gaining weight.

Hello,
I was hoping you could help me out. I'm a 24-year-old female looking to undo the damage caused over the holidays. I'm usually quite slim (103lbs), but over the Christmas period, I managed to pack on an extra five pounds that I could really do without. Since Hogmanay, I've quit drinking alcohol (I'm quite a heavy drinker, and alcohol is usually a high proportion of my daily intake) and switched my diet to one extremely low in fat and carbohydrate - about 1500-1700 cals per day, with a BMR of 1750. I eat small meals constituting mostly fruit and vegetables and lean protein, drink no more than 3/4 pint skimmed milk daily, cut out all treats barring a low-cal hot chocolate drink per day and watch my salt intake. I keep a rigorous food diary charting what I eat and measure portions, so I know I'm not underestimating what I eat.
I have problems with my joints and osteoporosis, preventing me from taking intense cardiovascular exercise, but I have been sure to go walking for 2-3 hours per day at a steady 3mph pace (burning between 300 and 500 calories per session). I've been at this regime for a week, and to my horror, not only have those extra five pounds refused to shift, I've gained an extra couple on the way, bringing me up to the 110lbs I haven't seen since I was a chubby teenager. My clothes are tighter than they've ever been, and I have a perceptible layer of surplus fat on my torso and abdomen. If weight loss comes about by burning more than you eat, how can this be possible, especially on such a healthy diet and exercise plan, and particularly without all those alcohol calories?
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.