Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Pain on left side when I exercise
About This Forum:

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pain on left side when I exercise

I am a 38 year old male that in April weighed 290 pounds.  I started eating right (fish, salads, more vegetables, smaller servings, getting away from fried food, etc) and exercising.  I started by walking around 5 days a week (about 20-30 mins) then move to an elliptical cycle for 30 mins everyday.  Between April and September 1st I lost 45 pounds.  I decided to change it up and start running.  I bought a good pair of shoes and ran a mile at about a 11:30 pace.  At .95 of a mile I got a sharp pain on the left side of my chest.  The pain was about 1.5 inches below and 1 inch to the left of my left nipple.  I walked back and the pain when away.  Now when I do any type of exercise the pain comes back within about 3 or 4 minutes of starting my exercise, as I continue to exercise the pain goes completely away.  The pain goes from 0 to 10 in about 10 seconds and as I continue the pain slowly goes back to zero in about 15 mins as I continue to exercise.  Sometimes I notice it also if I lift something and other activities around the house.  Any ideas???