Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Popped blood vessel?

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Popped blood vessel?

I was at the gym about 3 days ago and happened to be doing pull ups.. I Felt a sharp pain, almost a pop on the lower left part of the back of my head. This was immediately followed by and intense throbbing headache. I have been to the gym 3 times since this happened and each time as soon as i strain even a little bit, the intense throbbing headache comes back. Does anyone know what this might be? Its important for me to know because i am signed up for the marines and i leave in september so i need to be in shape, but i cannot seem to workout when this headache keeps returning. Thanks for reading.
Musculoskeletal injuries can present in this fashion, and a ruptured blood vessel would be less likely.  I suggest you touch base with your own doctor, who will want to see you in any case before you enter the military.  Take care.
A 'popping' sound usually indicates some sort of injury.
I expect the doctor would be able to give you a fairly accurate diagnosis based on what you write.
I would advise you to visit your own doctor.  I'm not sure how urgent it is (I'm only a lay person with no medical training -even my basic first aid certificate expired years ago).
I spoke to my GP about ruptured blood vessels in ones head a while back and he said it causes significant (apparently very painful) headaches.  If this sounds like you I would see someone asap.
Because you felt pain first and the headaches come back with stress (strain) I think you've probably injured yourself.

There is a symptom checker on this site you may like to use plus if you get worse you should definitely see a doctor.

J