Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Slimfast Diet

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

Slimfast Diet

I want to lose weight to fit into a particular dress for my son's wedding.  

I started on the slimfast diet two days ago, and it does not agree with me.  I have had really bad stomach pains and bloating.

Has anyone else had this?  It could be because I am a senior citizen and cannot tolerate it.  I do so want to lose wight!!
Eating healthier and exercising are much better strategies for the long term (and short term)!
Maddie, do be careful with a liquid  diet. Am I right is supposing that is what Slimfast is?  I know friends who went on similar regimines and did well....but

All I know from personal experience, is that many things cause GI distress for me.  Not sure why.  Cancer treatment or age or both:).

Have you asked your doctor?
I stopped the slimfast diet after a few days as bloating, summy pains and constipation.  I took a laxative, and then went back on it.  It is only for the short term, as I think it is the only way I am going to lose weight before wedding in May.
Ok then....you are in charge.  If the laxative offsets the effects of a mostly liquid diet...which is helping you to shed pounds...stay with it.
Oops..just saw a doctor weighed in on this..he is right, of course.  So take care, Maddie.  We do know eating right and exercise is best..we couldn't have made it to our 70s without that knowledge!!!
Is it worth risking your health for a few hours of wearing a dress? Weight loss cannot be done overnight and the best way to lose weight is to eat plenty of lean meats, fruits and vegetables, along with plenty of physical activity that you enjoy doing.
Hi, Yes I know all about careful dieting.  At 71 I have done that and lost weight.  This time it just for the short term.  I am feeling really well, and yes, to me it is worth it to get into a dress for my son's wedding.

I would not risk my own health, believe me.  I am a sensible person.  As for physical activity, I walk, that is all.  Have arthritis, and cannot afford gym.  

Thank you for your concern.
i am 62 and lost my 60 pounds of fat on hcg diet.  it was worth it for sure  i did it through a weightloss clinic so i had constant support    i have kept it off and i feel so much better  - not to meniton that i am a size 4 instead of a 22.   i had tried weight watcher several times - not that much of a loss.  for me - the hcg was the way to go   It is amazing
Very well done for that huge weight loss.  I have so far lost 17lbs on the slimfast diet, and only three weeks to go until the wedding.  I can now get into the dress, and do up the jacket.  Just a bit more to lose around the hip and tummy area.  

I will then stop this diet, but will definitely eat more sensibly (after the holiday)!!  

Unlike you I have not dropped dress sizes.  You must feel so good about yourself now getting into a size 4 dress.  That is amazing.