Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
What is wrong with me?!?!

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

What is wrong with me?!?!
I am a 5'9, naturally 145ibs 20 year old girl who eats a very high protein and healthy diet and works out 6 days a week. In August 2011, my Dr. switched my birth control pill and around December I started getting all of these weird side effects. I was constantly starving, like my stomach was a bottomless pit, I was tired all the time, couldn't focus, etc etc a ton of symptoms that pointed out that I would have a thyroid problem. A few monthes after december around april I stopped taking my birth control and weighed myself. I had gone from 145ibs to 189ibs within such a short period of time. Even though I was constantly hungry the past few monthes and tired I still mantained a super healthy diet as well as my intense workouts. The duration from December to April I was doing crossfit workouts, I'd burn around 1000 calories an hour. The weight gain made 0 sense. I went to a Dr. office to get my blood checked and the results came back perfect, my Dr. told me I needed dietary counseling. I listened to her dietary counseling and was shocked because I was doing everything + more then she was saying.

A few weeks after quitting birth control, my weird thyroid symptoms went away. I feel more like myself but I can't lose weight. Looking at myself in the mirror, my arms face and lower legs have slimmed out but that fat is all around my waist and I can't lose it. Everyday I check that scale and it won't move from 186ibs. I don't know what to do!! What is wrong wit me? This has been going on for about a month.
It's hard for me to guess exactly what might be going on - your symptoms do sound like they could be consistent with a hormonal imbalance, like hypothyroidism, or even changes consistent with polycystic ovarian syndrome - but it's very difficult for me to speculate.  It may be worthwhile to keep a careful food diary, including portion sizes, just to make sure that your diet is healthy and balanced.  I would definitely suggest continuing exploring this with your doctor, as it does seem timed with your change in medications.  I would also make sure you are not pregnant, although your doctor may have checked already.  Take care!
I know exact ally what you mean.. I was 137 for my wedding in june and I started to take birth control pills and I came off them about 6 mths after and within that time I gained about 15 lbs and now I've been trying to lose the weight and I can't.

I would never never take birth control pills again... it screws with you big time.. Good luck losing weight..