Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
Why can't I lose weight on low carb diet?

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

I am a 59 year old female who has not lost any weight on an extremely low carb (south beach) diet after 4 weeks.  Several years ago, I was successful losing weight using this diet, but not now.  I had a benign brain tumor removed successfully in 2006 (after the weigth loss), and the surgery caused some numbness in my legs which gives me problems exercising, but I walk daily.   I have been gaining weight since the 2006 surgery, and am at a loss as to what to do now.   What's wrong?  
It's hard to know why the diet is not working for you...it may be that although you are eating low carbohydrates you are making up for it with calories from protein and fat that are keeping you at a positive energy balance overall.  Those low carb diets can be very frustrating after the initial excitement of them wears off - I think Tarheelmama offers some good advice by mentioning Weight Watchers - it presents a nice balanced approach to calorie restriction and also has a built-in support system that people really seem to enjoy.  Don't get too discouraged - you're still early in the process, and even if you need to change gears a few times I have a feeling you will get where you need to go.  Good luck Wumpykat!