Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
excess skin question

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

excess skin question

Hey all,

I am 5'11 and 186lbs. I recently lost over 160lbs and now I have extreme excess skin around my stomach. How bad is like, like will girls be turned off by it? And how can I get rid of it?
When people lose a significant amount of weight, some loose skin is not uncommon.  For people for whom it's a significant concern, there are surgical procedures to trim the excess skin - sort of a similar procedure to a tummy tuck.  This tends to be the best option.
i have the same thing  - i lost like 60 lbs    i was hoping it would go away from excercise but then i saw and ad for tummy tuck and the picture looked like my stomach    i am not going that route so i hope it will eventually go away  (wishful thinking maybe)   - and yeah - it is a mess and not attractive but alot better than a bunch of fat
Hi there I seen on t.v. that it is possible to go see your family Dr. and it would be possible if he gave you a referral to have the procedure done for free.
My very best to you
thanks guys
When losing that much weight excess skin is expected to hang on.. Especially if you lose it really fast. However exercising strenuously along with the weight loss can prevent this or at least help you avoid an overwhelming amount of skin being left behind..just keep working out if you already have been. Get into swimming, a lot of toning and cardio, and maybe even some type of martial arts class or sport.. Another way to change this is to gain some weight back and lose it at a healthy rate and exercise at the same time so you'll see more muscle in the end and less skin
Oh and congratulations on your weight loss!