Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Expert Forum
man boobs

Questions in the Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle forum are being answered by James Beckerman, MD, Cardiologist. This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: cooking tricks, diet books, exercise tips, fad diets, fitness, health and hype, healthy role modeling for children, living a "green" lifestyle, medical treatments for obesity, metabolic syndrome, obesity, restaurants, smoking cessation, supplements, surgical treatments for obesity, trends in dieting, weight-related medical conditions

man boobs

I'm a 20 year old guy, and I've been working out and eating right for about 10 months, and I've gotten some very satisfactory results. However, even though I've gained muscle mass and lost a considerable amount of body fat, there still seems to have been no change in my "man boobs". This is very frustrating and embarrassing. I have and continue to do everything I can to get rid of my chest fat but it won't go away. Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of this embarrassing condition? (I already workout 1+ hrs per day, 5 days/wee; I regularly do cardio interval training, circuit training, and resistance training)

***I've read that this condition is caused by low levels of testosterone. If this is the case, should I be taking testosterone supplements? I've also read that taking testosterone has many great benefits (Testosterone supplementation trims visceral fat, builds skeletal muscle, improves muscle strength, and promotes overall sexual function). Are there any negative side-effects?

Thank you for your help!
Testosterone is not a great idea unless it's prescribed by a doctor for a testosterone deficiency - you could certainly broach this with your doctor.  

It's very hard to remove fat in specific areas - whereas resistance exercises will definitely build muscle in a target area, it's much harder to target fat loss in "problem areas."  But lifting weights might help to some extent.
What does your daily food intake consist of?
I eat 3 meals + 2-3 snacks per day. I avoid red meat in general and fatty foods, I also never eat candy bars, chips, fast food, sodas, and all that unhealthy stuff.

I mainly eat seafood/beans, whole wheats, veggies and a lot of fresh fruit.
I'm not one to count calories or weigh out portions for every thing I eat, but I definitely have a great average daily nutrition, and a pretty intense work-out regime. Which is why I'm so frustrated and confused about the persistence in my condition. The results are clear in the rest of my body and I'm more than just satisfied with them, but they actually emphasize the fact that I have man boobs. I find it embarrassing and highly unattractive. Isn't there ANYTHING I can do to change this?