Weight Loss Alternatives Community
A 2nd lap band and problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

A 2nd lap band and problems

Hi all,
I have had 2 lap band operations the first working for 3 years until the band slipped, the 2nd obviously came to fix the slippage. I was really happy with the first loosing 26kg (about 58lbs), but with the second one although it is the right position I am not loosing wieght infact I'm gaining - ah!!
It seems my oesophagus is accomodating and enlarging at the end near my stomach, I'm getting really depressed about this, you make the decision to have surgery, which is no mean feat and then you get slapped down with the problems. My surgeon is a nice guy and says I frustrate him - he should live in my shoes!! I have 4 kids and am 44, I want to see my kids grow up and their kids grow up.  
People keep saying diet, but fat people have surgery because they have definite problems with diet and all it encompasses, I feel like giving up and doing the fat person thing of stuffing my face and pretending it's not happening. I'm usually a strong person but this is really getting me down. any suggestions, I'm starting to feel like a struggling Aussie.
PS no more surgery for me, my stomach looks like a battle field as it is.
Sue from Australia
Hi digger,
thanks for your words, I have not found a forum for lap band i'm new to this forum/chat stuff. I have followed a diet and excercise program walking is my exercise as my knees don't like much else(too much sport as a young person).  I go again to my doc tomorrow and I think that will be the last time depending on what he says, I think as you get down about things following anything diet/exercise wise is really hard but you have to persevere. I'm just really frustrated about the fact that I have made a big decisison twice (2 lap bands) and the result has not vindicated the decision.  Oh well enough of the moaning, to all those of you out there who are fat just keep on going, we do have people around us who love us, we do know that being fat is not a good thing, and that we all have an ideal weight (and not the stick insect weights that doctors read off graphs for us).  We are the largest minority (in number) in the world and still get scorned, no matter; we know we have worth and that 'normal people' (there is no such thing by the way)who don't understand our struggles will never understand unless they too become fat, so don't expect them to just keep on educating them.

my girlfriend had a surgery and was quite successful at it.  I don't know your situation but what are you doing for your diet and exercise regiment.  She had gastric bypass but I also knew a lady that had the bands and she lost a lot of weight but it was not a long term help for her.  She gained it all back.  I guess nothing is a miracle help.

My best suggestion is to find a new doctor.  You may like this one but no doctor should say that "you" frustrate him.  Find a proper dietition for your case.  sometimes our doctors don't have our best in mind or perhaps diet and maintenance isn't a strong point.  

have you found a forum for those who have had your surgery.
Hi karibritt01
my oesophagus started to enlarge becuase of the second band and placement, thanks for your thoughts and I'll keep you guys informed.
I was wondering how you knew the band had slipped? I had the banding done in Feb and now I can feel the band through my skin and it is a little red on the skin area where I feel the band. No pain or other symptoms.I am sorry you had complications and have empathy for you! Please do not give up. I also had complications and got mrsa staph infection and had to have the port removed for now.I have lost 52 lbs and no longer diabetic. Take care and you will be in my prayers.
I am considering the lap band operation,,,, but I am afraid ... a number of people told me that the problem is that you feel hungry but can not eat ... is this true and what do you advice me???

I vomitted the other day and now I feel as if my port moved and I have low level pain near the port
my pand may have slipped
how did you find out that your band slipped
I am also in the same boat Sue. This is my second one and averything went great the first 2 1/2 years. This April I had to replace the slipped band and we're in the process of trying to figure out why I weigh more than ever and why my stomach is always sore. No fills have helped and I am also depressed. My friends have suggested that I not only find a new doctor this time, but also hire an attorney. Something is definetely wrong this time around.

Tam in Louisiana
My name is Ann. I had the lap band in august of 06. Everything was great until june of 09. I felt that I was eating too much so I went for an adjustment. again it didn't work. Went for test, there was a leakage. Went to get it fixed, still a leakage. My surgeon is suggesting he redo the whole thing. I want the full gastric by-pass. What do you think is better?
I got my lap band in June 07. I've lost about 150 lbs but now my band has rubbed a hole into my mucosa. I had the surgery done in Mexico and now no one here in the states wants to fix the problem. Can anyone relate to this problem?  Any ideas or sugestions?
I had surgery 4 yrs ago and I have noticed I have gained some wieght.  I havent gone bak in for adjustments, cuase I hate the vomiting.  But I have been worried about the band if its moved but also how do you know if your lap band has a leak?

To: Leotam
By any chance did you get your band at TJ and if so with which Doc?
Had lap band 2 years ago.  At 6 weeks went in for first fill.  Saline went in,  would not come out, md stated it was kinked.  Had to go get it removed in emergency room that night which cost me $8000  then, 6 weeks later paid 2000 more for the new one to be placed.  Now am having regurgitation issues.  Did lose 60 pounds but has not felt right after the PA filled me last Sep.  Opened a claim with allergan and so far they say they can't do anything withouy explanted device which the hospital says they know nothing about.  First is it legal to throw something away or should it not be returned to company or FDA?  Please advise, we live in a small town but are not wealthy and would like some ideas.......insurance did not cover any of this as we are on a private plan.  THANKS  exfatboy

my name is emmy i have a question for anyone that might have this symtoms (symptoms) cold or flu symtom bronchitis cold chills and hot spells also a coughing at nightime
I had the lap band surgery over 2 years ago. I lost 145lbs. But the past years have been a struggle with daily vomiting, coughing and acid reflex. I kept tums  next to me constantly, elevated the top of my bed mattress to sleep upward and continued to vomit anything I ate. I became severely dehydrated and malnourished. One night when I woke to go to the bathroom I passed out and hit my head. I am blest to have someone to find me. My  doctor ordered a test which showed I had a hernia and a severe slip. He repaired the hernia as well as the slip within a week.I am feeling much better. Anyone who has had this procedure please pay attention to any and all signs you are experiencing. I am wondering can the band cause a hernia? Or did I have this hernia already and why wasn't it considered?
Mate, You need to have the adjustments, Yes it can be uncomfortable for the first few days but watch what you eat and it will be fine. Also my band has slipped and will need to be corrected but I am considering things. One I am now at my target weight and I always just wanted help to get there. Now I am thinking I should self manage with correct diet a portion size. If you think the band is a quick easy fix, it is'nt. 3 years of effort and some discomfort, but I am fit, and many aches and pains are gone. Pro's and con's you decide.
Hi having my lap band done march last year.... then ready for my 1st fill. having the surgeon trying to find the port for at least 1hr and the needle filling up with blood...finally ask me to race over to the xray building to get a xray on the port... then coming back still not knowing what to do he took a photo of it and sent it to his partner to see what he thought... then it was rush into hospital time... so I went home getting my personal items and PJ's had the operation and he had inserted a new port in and stiched it down so it would not move again.... my next fill had a problem needed to stand up as he hit my rib putting it in so he finally got it standing me up not lying down.... I have lost 23kg but over the christmas break putting on 2kg I made a appnt to see him and I went back today.... well guess what!!! same thing has happen could not find the port mind you this was stiched in so he got me to have a xray again and he is going to speck to the rep to see what is going on with this port... I am the only patient he has had this problem with.... so I am so sore and bruised again... still trying to heel from the second operation which has a bruise under the skin which has never heeled still there so I will go back to see him on the 15th February to see what he is going to do....