Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Any luck with Topamax?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Any luck with Topamax?

My dr. put me on Topamax... for migranes (migraines), but also for weightloss... He says it will really kick in and start helping me shed weight once I get up to the 150-200mg mark. I am currently on 100mg's/day and will increase to 150mgs by the weeks end...then 200mg's by the following week...
Anyone else use this drug and what are your experiances at the different dosage levels? I have no headaches at all which I love... no side effects except for an occasional slight tingly feeling in my heels of my foot... but its very very mild and very unnoticable.(may not even be related...who knows)
But anyway, if anyone has any input to offer, that would be awesome.
Anyone lose any good amount of weight? If so, how much and in what time frame?
I notice a big decrese in my appetite already... pretty much have to force myself to eat cause i am never hungry which is nice.... wonder what will happen as the dosage goes up even more?

Thanks!
I took tompamax for awhile to lose weight and to control migranes (migraines).  I only took 25mg though.  I did lose a little weight because I could no longer drink pops or eat anything that was sweet.  Things like that just had a horrible taste to it.  My appetite didn't seem to decrease but maybe because of the small dose.  I had a problem with balance and dizziness while on the med to the point that I could no longer that the medicine.  My balance would get so bad that it was hard to be in a sitting position let along walking.  Now I take Atenolol to control migranes (migraines) it seems to work better than the tompamax.
I took topamax for a couple of months and I can honeslty say it was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I am 5'1 and i weighted 207; I now weigh 140.  But I only took topamax for I would say 5 months.  I was only 100 each day and it took everything away my appetite my sense of taste for any cola drink.  It was awesome and it took away all my headaches.  The remainder of the months I did by myself by exercising and just sticking with a 2000 calories intake.  My goal is 130.  Probably by next year in Feb.  But thats ok it was a long road to get where I am!  I Love it!

Erika
i have been on topamx(on and off) for two years for migrains.i had just had my third child and within 5 weeks i was down 40lbs-but i did have alot of side effects-tingling, throwing up and severe stomache pains-but i didnt have any migairns-over the years i have figured out how to take this without having as many side effects-1 make sure to drink alot of water w/ it 2take it at night 3.stay away from dairy products-4 take a topomax (topamax) vacation(1-2 weeks) the one problem i can not get rid of is the fact that soda taste awful-so i just stay away from it
I started Topamax in November of this year at 25mg a week and have been increasing the dose by 25mg per week and will reach 200mg next week to reach my limit.  My doctor prescribed it for my migraines as  I had requested it since all the other treatments seemed to have weight gain as a side effect while this one was the opposite with weight loss as a possibility.  A year ago I tried Sibelium for 3 months and it worked but I gained 12 pounds in a month and a year later those pounds have not budged.  I am now almost 6 weeks into topamax and as far as the migrains go nothing is happening yet, but it can take a few months to work so I will wait and see before I give up.  As far as weight loss,  I only have 10-15 pounds to lose, but I have not even lost a pound- yet my appetite has decreased significantly right from the start and my cravings are gone-go figure.  I see someone wrote that their doctor said that weight doesn't start to come off until they get into 150-200mg, well I just started 175 so maybe I'm not there yet, got my fingers crossed.
As far as side effects go, they are definitely there.  Tingly fingers and feet.  My memory SUCKS.  Just today someone asked me for my postal code (i'm canadian) and I became tongue tied and couldn't say it and I'm usually a somewhat intelligent person. I've read that the side effects can subside if you reach the correct dose for your body so I'm hoping that happens because giving up one's brains is really not worth anything!  But like I said I'll wait this out for a bit and see what happens, probably two more months I think.  
i just started topamax last month im taking 75 mg a day  i have noticed a decrease in my hunger i was having very bad headaces with meridia so the doc wanted to try this and i love it already im 5'4 and started at 189 i go to doc on the 9th im gointo see then how it has done good luck sallie
I have had a wild ride with Topamax.  I take it for depression as a mood stabilizer and started over a year ago, I am also quite obese and it immediately had a profound impact on my weight.  I am, myself, a Family Physician and had never prescribed Topamax so I was quite interested in its effects on me.  My psychiatrist rapidly increased my dose and I have to say that I also somewhat anxiously would occassionally take more than I was supposed to because I was hoping to lose more weight and I thought that if a little bit helped then a lot would help even more(I was being stupid). Last year at this time I was taking 100mg a day of Prozac and 600mg a day of Topamax and occassionally even more.  I started to become very manic, which I had never been before in my life, I was not sleeping and hardly eating anything and I was having magical thinking.  I started to think that I had a special understanding of the universe that only a few people shared and that I could heal people by merely laying my hands on them.  Then one night I completely flipped out, I went into a trance like state and I thought I was a messiah and the end of the world was coming and I was the savior, not Jesus mind you but on par with him. At first we didnt realize it was the topamax and thought I was just having a psychotic break. But eventually we realized that I was toxic on the topamax and that what had happened was that I had actually had a "Partial complex seizure" or a "temporal Lobe seizure", that what the trance was.  I stopped the topamax and all of that went away completely. I was back to normal-but slightly depressed. After several months I slowly started back on topamax at a lower dose(this time sticking strictly to my Doctors instruction).  I have occassionally had small episodes of partial complex seizures again usually after an increase in dose or if I forget a few doses and then start up again at the same dose. I also get the weird usual side effects of trouble with word finding and what not but I kind of get a kick out of those side effects, for the most part I really like Topamax, it has really helped me as long as I am careful with it but it can really pack a wallop.
i went to the doc this morning,and i'm down to 176 .thats 13 lbs gone i think thats great .i realy like topamax!plus no more headaces.is anyone else haveing luck?
I reached my maximum dose of 200mg Jan.6 and just recently (it'll be 2 months since I started my initial dose of 25mg on Jan.18) I've noticed a decrease in my migraines which is great! As well, since 175mg and up, I've noticed a decrease in the "stupid" side effects, ie. my brain is functioning a little better which is nice as well!
Unfortunately for me, no weight loss to speak of as of yet, but maybe it's because I only have about 15lbs to lose and possibly it only works when there's more to lose??? Or maybe it will start to kick in soon I'm hoping!  Good luck to everyone else!
I was placed on Topomax (topamax) for severe migraines.  My migraines started when placed on Toprol Xl 75mg for a heart condition.  I am now at 275mg. and have not had ANY WEIGHT LOSS.  Everyone else that I have spoke to has had weight loss with the drug.  I had a series of blood tests done and of course everything has come back normal.  The only good that came from it, is I don't crave soda pop any more, but then again I hardly drank it anyway.  I am not severly overweight anyway, but it would have been nice to drop about 20lbs.  All my life I never had a problem with weight until I hit 25.  Now I am 35 and can't seem to shed any weight.  The topomax (topamax) has done wonders for my migraines, and I am not that tired from it either, except for when I take it at bedtime.  Any suggestions?  Not complaining, but it sure would have been a nice little side effect.  I know others have had more severe, and I just can't say enough about what it has been like to be migraine free....
Hi Sallie,
It's been 20 days since your previous post.  Anymore effects to share?  How about your weight loss progress?  I would love to hear an update.  Your post has me feeling hopeful about this medication.
Anna
yes im still lossing weight. im not checking my weight at home im going to wait tell i go to my doc. everyone can tell now. i realy like this med .it has taken my heahaces away, and my mood is so much better. i feel like myself for the first time in a year1/2. and loveing the weight loss .are you on the med.
Hi Sallie,
I am not on the med (yet).  I have been on Cymbalta for a little over a year for depression.  I have since gained about 15 pounds (in addition to the other weight I had gained on prozac years earlier).  After complaining about this common side effect of antidepressants, my doctor said he normally recommends 1 of 2 meds to help combat the weight gain.  One is Glucophage (normally prescribed to diabetics to control sugar absorbtion) or Topomax (topamax).  He gave me Glucophage last month, but I've noticed no weight change.  I have another appointment this week, and I'm going to ask to try his second choice (the topomax (topamax)).  Now, I must say that I am not majorly overweight, but the 25-30 pounds that I gained over these antidepressant years is miserable in it's own way.  I've even trained for and run a marathon and can't lose the weight!  I'm a bit afraid of the confusion that the drug may cause, but I'm willing to try it.  I do not have migraines or seizures.  I only have night time twitches that my doctor doesn't even know I about becasue I always forget to tell him.  
I like this site very much.  It is the best site that I have been on regarding ANY medication.  Everyone is full of great advice and the sharing of stories is so appreciated.

Anna
seems like your experience is the same as mine...
it's working great for my migraines, but I have yet to shed an ounce and I have now accepted that that is the way it is going to be.  Like you, I only have 12-18 lbs to lose and I never did have a weight problem growing up, quite the opposite, just put the pounds on in this past year-I turn 30 in 2 weeks.  When the doctor and I were deciding which prophylactic to try next for my migraines topamax was the obvious choice since every other med had weight gain as a side effect (which is where I had gained my weight that I wanted to lose-such a viscious circle!!)  I have read that not everyone does lose weight so maybe we are two of the unlucky few...
One good thing for myself, though, is pretty much all of the side effects are gone and most days I don't even think about the fact that I'm on the med.
my mom is on a vaction in d.c. to see my new cousin.we are a family of 6 and could not all go . we sent her to a day and night to poplar spings inn and spa she is haveing a great time.my mom also owns her own daycare and preschool and runs it all she does not stop im sure she will get back to you when she come home on the 10th  im responding for my mother she asked me to watch some things Karisa.
I think you may be right about us being the only two.  I have to say the side effects that I had with the tingling in my feet and stuff are gone!  And my migraines...well no more.  I have a follow with the neurologist in another month and I have had just a couple of break through headaches and some other people I know who are on it say he may bump me up to 300 which freaks me a little, because I don't feel so tired anymore on the 275 dose.  Anyway, the good news is at least I can eat what I want and just maintain where I am at, but it would have been nice to lose the pesky 18-20 I have gained in the last 5 yrs.  Good luck!  I am just so happy not to have the migraines!!!
Hi All!
i am a 5'1" 29 year old female who is 199lbs and currently takeing welbutrin. I have been for about 6mos. I was prevoiusly on effexor, and that med was a nightmare for me. I was very emotionless on effexor, and before i started effexor, i was a member of weight watchers and lost 40lbs, all of which i put on after starting effexor. (Before starting weight watchers i was 212lbs! can you imagine!!!!) Anyhow, i am very depressed most of the time. I have to be fake alot around family and co-workers. But every once-n-awhile how i truely feel cannot help but peek its ugly self out to display for all to see, and i look a fool. I come from a family with mental illnesses. My mom has ocd,ptsd,who knows what else, my dad is bi-polar... so i am bound to be effective somehow, right? (lol) My biggest issue in my life is my weight. I HATE HOW I LOOK!!! IT'S KILLING MY SOCIAL LIFE!!!! IT'S RUINING ME MENTALLY...along with other issues... so, my doctor took me off the effexor put me on the welbutrin, and i initially lost (over a year after being on no med at all, and 6 mos. of welbutrin)27lbs. NOTHING to be proud of. I tried every weight loss plan in the book.... I even tried to be a contestant on the television show called "The Biggest Looser".... (sent in a tape, must not have appealed to them as being needy enough)...nothing has helped. Welbutrin has curbed my appitite, but.. i do nothing in the form of diet...or exercise. so i am back up to 199lbs. I slowly crept back to that weight. I do not blame Welbutrin for that. I blame my depression for that. So, now i have been having these headaches lately, god awful ones... I go to see the doctor 2 days ago and she gave me this Topamax to start. I am kinda excited to hear about the weight loss side affect, although i will not hold my breath to it having that affect on me, my doctor put me on welbutrin for that reason, and look... i am still obease. Ha Ha ... The joke is on me, Right? Maybe i am just destined to remain fat all my life..... i don't know.  I read all these entries and see that it has helped most of you, but not all of you. Some of the side effects sound crappy, but... i am gonna give this med a shot. What have i got to loose? lets see......My mind, a few pounds, some headaches....(lol)  I just took my first 25mg. tablet last night, so we will see what this tiny little pill is gonna do for me.  Any words of support or advice are welcome.
I am 61 yo female, heavy for many years.  I started taking topamax about five weeks ago.  I started with 25 mg one week, increased to 50mg second week, then 75mg third week, 100mg fourth week.  Visited the doctor after the 4th week.  I had lost 5 lbs by his scale.  
Then he increased my dosage to 200 mg.  He said to increase 100 mg each week, but stop increasing or drop back the dosage if side effects bothered me.  I have actually stayed at either 100 or 150 mg.  I think I've lost about ten to 12 lbs by my scale.  I don't know if this is going to work as well as the doctor seems to think.  He says most patients lose 10 lbs a month.  If I lose that it would be great.  I have not been exercising because I am recuperating from a double total knee replacement, but hope to start on a treadmill soon.  I am faithful about drinking the water each day to avoid the kidney stones that are a very real side effect.  I don't think I am going to be able to take a much larger dose than what I am presently taking.  Anyone else have a comment on their dosage.  I presently weight 218 lbs and I am 5'3".  I would like to get down to about 160 to be healthy.
Today is day two outta the way, on to third pill tonight. Can hardly believe that after only one dosage soda tastes like ****.
I just bought a bunch of diet soda too. (lol) Oh well, the family can have it. So far there is no change in how any of the foods i have consumed have tasted, and i have not had any weird side effects yet either. Yippie!!!!!  But, i wont hold my breath, i am sure i am not one of the lucky ones to not have any side effects at all. And if i experience any side effects, and then have some that i do not experience, well, my luck says it will be the weight loss side effect that i will not experience, and i will experience all of the wacky ones. Oh well, right? At least the headaches will be gone. (if i am lucky, which i am usually not.) Well, i like this web page here, and i like to hear what this drug has done, and is doing for others, so please continue to post!!!!! I will continue too!
I will continue to update. (not on a daily basis though, not to worry....lol....) Take care
Its amazing how Drs prescribe the dosage differently.  My neurologist only did 15 mg increments because the side effects could be so dramatic for some people.  I know its a touchy drug for some.  As far as soda tasting like ****, it does.  However yesterday home with an upset stomach, I drank Coke just to calm it.  I did not care if tasted bad or not.  I have been on it for 7 months and I my weight is maintained.  I only go up and down between 5#'s.  I eat whatever I want.  I am sure if I tried to "diet" I could probably lose the pesky 20 that plague me.  I think its because I don't have that much to lose and that's why I don't.  I truly haven't seen that much of change in my appetite...anyone else?  I am actually more hungry which is strange.  I guess everyone is different.  LOL everyone.  I must be that weird percentile, all I know is not having headaches is worth it though.  Hope everyone had a good valentines day.
I have been on Topamax for 18 mos. for migraine. I'm 57 y/o & have suffered from migraines for about 40 yrs. The Topamax has been amazing in the help it has given me: only 2 severe HA's since starting on the meds. But... side effects have begun. At first I was constipated. I solved that w/ stool softeners. I have lost about 30+ lbs. but my weight is now stable to within 1-2 lbs. It changes your metabolism as well as suppresses your appetite. (The weight loss was good as I needed to lose just about that much. My regular dr. is very happy.)
Now a new problem: In the last 2 mos. I have started tearing excessively to the point that my eyes stay very red. My ophthalmologist has no answer other than to stop the meds. For me, that is the last option. I am taking only 50mg bid so I am going to start decreasing to 25mg bid gradually to see if that will help.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you handle it?
hello everyone.im wondering about the pins and needles feeling that goes all my body every once and awhile . does any one  have side effects like that. im on 100 mg now.
RE:hello everyone.im wondering about the pins and needles feeling that goes all my body every once and awhile . does any one have side effects like that. im on 100 mg now.

Yes! I was given Topamax for migraine control after I stopped taking Nadolol.
I started taking Topamax a little more than 7 days ago, 25mg at night before bed.
I've had all sorts of side effects, some I tried to ignore and blame on the recent beta blocker withdrawal I had from Nadolol.
Now on my first day off of it.
What really convinced me to get off Topamax was the 7th day dose when I went to 50mg at night.
I woke up three hours later having a small anxiety attack and couldn't get back to sleep.
So the side effects for me are the light headiness, tight back/kidney, difficulty concentrating, lack of sleep, dizziness, shivers, and anxiety.
This medicine is not for everyone. Besides the Beta-Blocker withdrawals, Topamax is the only drug I
Yes, I still get the pins & needles effect but only in my feet.  I notice it mostly if I sit for very long periods of time.  It used to be very noticeable when I first started it then it went away.  Now I only it get it when I am sitting around.  LOL.  I usually just get up and move around.  That is a very common side effect and the first thing I asked the dr. about.  Hope it gets tolerable for you.  Good luck.  This is a really good sounding board.  A lot of the questions and concerns I had with the drug seems to be what everyone else has.  I see my dr. in 3weeks.  I have tons of questions again for him.  Just glad the migraines are under control.  So people say it suppresses your appetite huh???  Gosh, why can't that happen to me????  Must be a mind thing for me.  I need to ask my dr. about that one too because I sure haven't had that happen.  Good luck all.
Hi to all you Topamaxers! ;)

I am new to this forum and thought I would share my story. I am on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg and Topamax 25 mg (going up to 50 next week) once a day for depression/anxiety. I was on Wellbutrin and Lexapro for two months, but that combination made me GAIN 10 pounds in a month! I felt like eating all the time, and it didn't make sense to me since Wellbutrin is supposed to cause weight loss!

So the doctor suggested we pull me off of Lexapro (those darn ssri's) and try Topamax for mood stabilization and to help curb my appetite (as you all know one of it's side effects is possible weight loss). Well I've only been on the Topamax for 3 days and I can tell you right now it's working!!! I have no desire to snack at all, until the afternoon (I take it the night before, so the next day in the afternoon it's probably wearing off). I'll be bumping it up to 50 mg next week so I'm sure that will help me in the afternoons.

Anyway, that's my experience so far. I haven't noticed any other side effects except that I feel a bit drowsy right after I take it. No pins and needles yet, but I'll let you know if I get them down the road!

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. It really helps knowing there's others out there you can relate to!

--Denise
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I've been reading it for a while and it's been very been very helpful for me. I've been taking Topamax for a little over a month,100 mg a day (I am also on Prozac 20mg for depression). I am 37 yrs old and have been dealing with daily migraines for over 25yrs. Finally some relief!! I love it!I have had very few side effects, some tingling in my heels, and coke tastes really bad. I have had some weight issues over the last several years, so I a hoping that losing weight will be an added bonus. My question is, does Topamax decrease your appetite or increase your metabolism? I've been obsessing over this. I want to lose weight now! (yes, I have OCD tendencies). Because I know that Topamax can cause you to lose weight, I find myself trying to eat less, but feeling hungry. I can't tell if my appetite has decreased or not because I am obsessing over it. Can someone please help calm my crazy mind, talk me through this. I have read that usually the dosage needs to be at least 150mg+ to to lose weight, is that what is really what is going on with me? My dosage would need to be higher before I would "really" notice it? Thanks for listening.....
I was prescribed Topamax several weeks ago for depression.  I specifically requested something that wouldn't cause weight gain due to the fact that I have about 50 pounds to lose. He started me on 100 mg to be taken at bedtime.  I ended up quitting the Topamax after three days.  I was so paranoid that I was afraid to drive.  I had to pull over one morning to let my 16 yr old son drive I was so scared.  At some point during the day, it does wear off because driving home from work is uneventful.  

I'm thinking about starting them again but taking them earlier in the evening in hopes the paranoid feeling will be worn off before work time. I'm nervous though because of some of the things I've read.  A plus is the loss of appetite side effect.  I can definitely see why people lose weight on this.

Has anyone else on Topamax had feelings of being paranoid and if so, did it improve?
Hi everyone!
ive now been takeing Topamax for a total of 14 days (50mgs).
I take my last 50mg tonight, and ten i start my 75 mg week tomorrow. 25mg in am, and 50mg in pm. My only side affects so far have been ones i can live with, i have a tingling sensation in some of my toes (both feet) once-n-awhile, ans the same...almost a numbness feeling in the tips of my fingers every once-n-awhile. But it is so very little, and does not last for very long, that i can handle it. Mentally, I FEEL GREAT!!!!! i have not had a headache yet, pop tastes like ****.... but it has not been that long for me to be on topamax, and the other thing (i can live with, for sure)i have very little appitite. I pretty much make myself eat 3 meals a day. I could care less to eat at all. That is great, cause it cut out ALL the snacking (which before,i did ALOT OF!!!) I have lost a total of 6lbs in 2weeks. I am not sure if i posted what i weighed in the beginning, but, i am 5"1' (was 199 2 weeks ago) and now i weigh 193. I have boo hooed for too long about my weight, it has been the main source for my depression. I am done boo-hooing about it. Done being embarrased. gonna do something about it, and so what if a pill helps me, it is better than surgery... risking death, just to be thin-not worth it. I know a mother/daughter who went to have gastric bypass done toghether, daughter made it... everthing went fine for her, mother got some sort of infection from the surgery, never left the hosptial- died there. So if this pill helps me... great. I will hold no shame in it. I also benefit two other ways... mentally (moods) and medically (headaches)...
thanks to all for posting/reading.. this is a nice place to journal/get advice/just comment about how things are going for ya on the med. I enjoy reading.

Oh... and ....itslaw... ask to be started on a lower dosage, maybe that was too much for you initally to handal. You shaoud start out slow, and work your way up to 100mgs. .... talk to your doctor.
First off miketish congrats on the weightloss!! That is really good news for you. Second I agree with what you said for Itslaw, 100mg seems like a pretty high dose to start out with.  I too would check with your dr.  Does anyone do any diet restrictions while on topomax (topamax) or do you just eat when you are hungry?  I am very curious?  I know that I don't have as much to lose as others and I am not on it for weight loss, but like I have mentioned I would not mind dropping 20.  Also, I too am curious if topomax (topamax) affects your metabolism or your appetite.  Does anyone know?  If not, I know I see the dr. for a visit in a few weeks.

Also, does anyone experience on the higher dosage at bedtime which is when I assume you take it...about 30 minutes after I take it, I am in lalala land.  Is that the norm?  I mean I don't wake up until the alarm goes off.

Thanks for the Thanks.
I have no answer to your question, but if you get an answer, please share! i am eager to find out too!
i do not get the la la land feelings... honestly, it is the other way around, i cannot sleep very well. Which i am none to thrilled about. But, i have not had any other side affects... oh.... i lie....
i just noticed....
today, i am realy "gassy" (lol) and, i have no idea why, i do not eat much. What i eat is not all that bad, and it is not in a big quanity. (I have lost MUCH of my appitite.)
I think it(the gas) may be a side affect, but if it is not, i just embarrassed myself here (lol) oh well.
Keep me posted on how you're doing, and what your doctor has to say about the whole metabolism thing.
Good luck... oh, and just like you, i am not on it for weight loss, but would love to loose some weight. I am gonna not be so bashful and out loud hope for a loss of about 50lbs.....
Take care......
Hi! I've been using topamax for about 3 months and I've had great results! However, the side- effects are great... I've dealt with pins and needles in my hands and lips, shivers, back pain , being tongue tied and the best of all weight loss.

I found if I drink all of H20 it decreaces the tingling in my hands and lips and I mean alot of water!!!! Since being on Topamax I've lost 25 pounds. It's a bit frustrating becauce my taste buds have changed and soda taste terrible along with coffee,mint toothpaste and orange juice. But I'll give up anything to get to my pre-pregancy weight.

I've enjoyed reading everyones challenges with topamax it makes me feel like I'm not alone. Thanks to you all!
This is my second time with Topamax.  I was diagnosed some time ago with bi-polar - still not quite sure if I agree with them on that.  I do however agree that I have mood swings.  The first time around I was on Epival (used as a mood stabilizer but is also an anti-convulsant as is Topamax) and had Topamax added while going through difficult times with a live in boyfriend.  Without going through a long story of the "cheating *******", I was placed on topomax (topamax) to help me with my mood swings and depression.  I can not say if it was the topomax (topamax), the situation, the lack of eating or the combination that made me spin out of control.  I was definitely paranoid without question.  When I look back on it now, I think that I should have started out with 25 mg and worked my way up, even though I believe I only started on 50mg.  My body is really touchy to anything I put in it.  I eventually leveled off.  I went from 145lbs to 118 (I looked anorexic), but again, this had much to do with the situation I was in.  

I stayed on Topamax for nearly 3 years and weaned myself off.  I kept thinking about one day having children and how it might affect me.  My weight crept back and I got myself into a number of other situations that need to be dealt with once again - the story of my life.  So here I find myself in the worst shape of my life - oh, did I mention I was a personal trainer?!?! - needing to lose the weight, as it rules my life or I allow it to and get the rest of my life back on track.  I started with 25 mg last Wednesday night (1 week ago) and pushed it to 50 mg last night.  Definitely have the numbing head sensation, a little tingling and anxiety.  Has not helped my appetite (****!) yet, I am really hoping it does, as that is the main reason I went back on it.  I am also trying to watch what I eat again.  Back to protein and veggies and fruit.  Have to up the water.

NOTE:  Something that I found strange that no one has mentioned is how to alleviate some of the side effects.  The "dumbing" effect, can be alleviated by taking 3-5 mg of Folic Acid, which anyone taking anti-convulsants for something OTHER than epilepsy should be taking anyhow.  Add Salmon Oil 1,000 mg - 2,000 mg and 1,000 - 2,000 mg Vit C.  The folic acid is the key.

I will keep you posted on my weight loss.  I also want to get back into my fitness modeling so lets hope this works.  All the best to everyone and I am glad that T-max is working for many of you.
Hi!again everyone.... I went to see Dietitian the other day and she is so pleased on the results of the topamax. Let me back track a little I promise It'll be a short one.
I was sent to my Dietitian from my Endrconologist for my thyroid;they found that I had high sugar so they had to put me on a low-carb diet like that helped! anyway, my Dietition found out that I had been on Depakot(for 9 years) and to my surprise the main side-effect is weight gain... and of course, my dr. had faild to tell me that!!!!!! so here I am my last visit at neuro. I demanded new meds. and by golly I got it!

To make a small story short ... the reason why I'm sending this note is I have some imfo. from my Dietition on topamax she says that it can cause Anemia and it can decrease white blood cells if you all don't know. Talk to your dr. because I had blood work done for my thyroid and it should that I was on the low end of being Anemic. Take care

V.E.J. @ work

V.E.J. @ work
hello every one went to doc this morning . he wants me to start taking 200mg now, ill start today .ill let everyone know how its going .the numbness,pin,and needles feeling was just starting to get better.
Hi everybody,

Thought I'd give you an update. If you are recently new, I am on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg 1/day and topomax (topamax); current scrip is 50 mg 1/day (I take 1 25 mg in morning and 1 at night). Although I am overweight, my main reason why I am on Topomax (topamax) is because of my depression/anxiety, or maybe bi-polar (the doc and I am in the middle of figuring out which one I am, ha ha!!). I will be moving up to 100 mg of t-max next week.

I have been dealing with depression (or something of the sort) for 6 years right after my second child was born (i couldn't snap out of PPD). I am a married, stay at home mom of 3 children ages 2, 6 and 9; one of which is ADHD, AND my husband is also ADD (wow that enough would make a normal person crazy, right???). I love all of them dearly and that is why I am so desperate to get the right dosage so my sweet family can have their loving mommy and wife BACK! They have been real troopers through all this, God love 'em.

Like many of you, I've tried almost everything the pharmaceutical companies can dish out for depression, but I never felt 100%. It knocked out the depression, but I still had feelings of rage, anxiety, then euphoria, and at times I could conquer the world (give me a break!! Does that sound just conceeded or what?). Finally I decided to dump my old doc and shop for a new one, and boy am I glad I did. Now I am in a whole new ball game...I didn't even THINK that maybe, just maybe....I may be bi-polar (it wouldn't surprise me, since after some research into my roots I found several ancestors who had mental disorders)!

For 6 years I wasted my time and $$ on SSRI's that just gave me headaches and a weight gain of 50 pounds! That could give you depression just in itself! All this time I thought I'd developed really bad eating habits, but now I know better! I at least walked 2x/week and made nutritious meals for my family and even though we ate out once in awhile, it's not like we stopped at McDonald's 5 times a week! No wonder most of us here who've tried other drugs are elated to see that Topomax (topamax) is helping us reclaim the bodies we had before taking those "other" drugs!

Okay..I'm off the soapbox now. Oh, and by the way...I've been on Topomax (topamax) for 2 weeks, and I've lost 3 pounds. Whoopie!

I have also noticed that my moods are so much better, just in a matter of a few weeks. My husband has too. We went out with some friends last night and he couldn't believe how happy I was. I couldn't stop laughing...I had such a great time (and hey guys, I don't even drink alcohol!!!).

Don't get me wrong; there have been some bad days. You're going to have "those" days while your body adjusts, especially if you've been on one kind of medication for years. Remember-- I was on SSRi's for 6 years and then switched to Wellbutrin and Topomax (topamax) that control two different areas of the brain. Believe me your brain is going to go "uh.....what happened here???? where's my ssri???.....I'm crabby!!!! I want my ssri!!!"

I can't wait to tell my doctor about last night. He is going to be so excited. I asked my husband this morning if I was too crazy on our date (like to the point of embarrassing him) and with tears in his eyes, he told me, "No way...I am so happy to see you this way honey...I can't remember the last time seeing you this joyful...it's wonderful." (sniff sniff)!!!!!

Okay I've babbled enough. I am just so happy today that I can't get it out fast enough! I hope it stays and it's not just a fluke....not just for my benefit, but for yours, too! We all need some faith promoting stories to keep us going, right?

Until next time....(after I go to 100 mg)

Denise Ann
well i went to the doc yesterday .i have only lost 1 lbs im looking at it in a positive way .i went on vacation for 2 weeks, ate what ever i wanted , iv been under alote of stress too. i had to leave my dad in the hospital in d.c.on our vacation and he is still there in te hospital and im back homein IN. so 1 lb is ok .im now on 200 mg a day.
well I met w/ my dr. on Mon. and everything went pretty well. I am pretty well stable at 275mg.  We agreed not to change the dose even though I have had a few break threw headaches.  As far as the appetite goes he thinks its related to the toprol I take for my heart arhtymia(sp).  At least I can eat pretty much what I want and not gain anything so I guess I should be happy with that.  Once the weather warms up in my area, I agreed to start walking a little bit more and he thinks that will help with getting a few pounds off.  Other than that I really don't have any other adverse side effects accept when I take the drug I can pretty much say that within 30 minutes I am so ready for bed.  Sallie sorry to hear about your dad hopefully nothing too serious.  And what a positive attitude about losing 1#. The rest will come off.  I am sure of it.  Good luck!
Hello everyone. I have found this site to be so helpful and comforting. Everyone's comments about Topamax have been honest and supportive. I will start Topamax at the end of the week mainly for weight loss, but I have been on several anti depressant meds for 3 years and like many of you have gained about 50lbs. I can't stand myself anymore!!! I am saying a lot of prayers hoping I will be one of the lucky ones that will experience weight loss. I'm really nervous about the side effects and with my job I can't afford the memory problems and mind foggyness.  I will return to the site as soon as I get started and share my experience. Hang in there everyone!
Hello Everyone,

I been reading your posts and think it's wonderful how you support eachother.  Last night was my first night of taking topamax. I am taking it because the medications I was on were making me gain too much weight and the weight has been physically hurting my back and bone structure.  I think it was too fast and my bones and muscles didn't have the time to develop to hold it. I was taking seroquel and still am taking cymbalta but i'll slowly taper off of that.  I'm so glad.

This topamax is also supposed to help w/ sleep.  I hope so.  My first impression this morning, was lots of nasea and no desire to eat.  Also overwhelming fatigue.  But I moved a truckload of boxes w/ my boyfriend up 4 flights of stairs and I have Fibromyalgia so who knows what is what.

I am very glad that I a will have a place where I can be w/ others that are taking the same medication I am.
Hey There,
I have been on Topamax for about 4 months now for migraines.  It has helped tremendously!! I had put on some weight since I had my last child which was 2-1/2 years ago.  I am now 42 years old.  I must say it has been a bugger getting the weight off, but since being put on the Topamax, the weight has all but fallen off pretty much effortlessly.  I do exercise a bit about 3 times a week on my elliptical machine and I watch what I eat. I try to stick to a low-carb, high-protein diet.  When I was put on the Topamax I weighed in at 170 pounds and I am 5 feet 3 inches, so I was definitely overweight for my height.  I know weigh in at 148 pounds.  Plus, I am pretty much headache free besides!  I love this medication!!  It is the best.  I hope they do not take it off the market because if they do, I will just CRY MY EYES OUT!!!   FIRST AND FOREMOST because it has helped me for my migraines which I have suffered from for over 20 years now!!!  I have had them chronically for 7 to 10 days out of every single month which put me bedridden.  It was a nightmare!   I began at the 25 mg mark and it took me about 3 months or so to get up to 75 mg twice a day so I now take 150 mg total and that dosage seems to be working for me.   My question is how long can one stay on this medication??  I think my doctor told me indefinitely!!  I am just wondering.. if you stay on it forever.. does your weight start to stabilize or do you continue to keep on losing weight??  That kind of scares me.. because I know one can get too thin!!!  I have been at that point in my life and it is scary!!  Any comments would be appreciated!  
Thank you in advance!!
Have you heard they are going take Topamax off the market? That worries me. I just went back on it after being off of it for 5 months, during which time I began obsessing about food again and other things. I lost weight about ten pounds last time but stabilized when I hit the mid 130s, so I don't think you'll just keep losing as long as you're still eating. I always found that I still eat...I just don't crave the extra. Although, sometimes I find that I am hungry but crave nothing. I think it takes you're appetite away but not you're hunger. I am pretty sure you can stay on it forever, as long as the side effects don't bother you. I finally felt the tingaling this morning after five days and was relieved to know the pill was working --- I was worried because I felt nothing! I don't have the cognitive effects though.
Has any one had hair loss? My headaches came back now I think they are under control again.this post started in dec of 05 .I'm now 115 from 189.I have lost alote of hair in the year . I have filled a gallen and 1/2 baggy.
I was just prescribed topamax today with a dosage of 50mg daily for the next month. My doc said he will increase it monthly. I have been taking depression meds for years. I started on prozac, which had too many sexual side effects. Then I took paxil for two years and gained 70lbs! I got so mad one month and quit the meds cold turkey and lost 50lbs in one year. Then I got pregnant and gained back the 50lbs. I got severely depressed after my son was born and was put on wellbutrin. I currenlty take 400mg a day. I also take .5mg of xanax as needed. Wellbutrin helped, but did not take all the depression away. My doctor decided to put me on a low dose of celexa to supplement the wellbutrin. I gained 30lbs in two months. Today he gave me topamax to see if it helps me lose some weight. I currently weigh 210lbs. I really hope it works. I am so depressed without the meds, but the weight gain depresses me in a whole new way. I used to weigh 118 before I ever had a baby (i actually have two children) or took any medicine.
I am currently taking Seroquel for sleep and anxiety.  I have gained 18 pounds in 4 months.  I am 6' tall and now weigh a wopping 215 lbs.  That is an all-time record for me.  Anyway, my doctor is suggesting prescribing topamax to suppress my appetite, since the benefits of the seroquel are so great for taming my underlying anxiety and mood swings.  I also take focalin for ADHD, which has typically suppressed my appetite at least a little in the past, so the constant hunger pains are a new feeling with the addition of seroquel.  My question is has anyone else taken the combination of seroquel, topamax and focalin or any combo therein?  I am curious as to what your experience has been.  Thanks!
Hi, I have been taking topamax for migraine for a little almost three weeks, will increase to 75ml tomorrow. I've noticed I have no desire for alcohol (and I used to drink daily, so I guess this is a good this.) Soda or anything carbonated tastes horrible. My appetite has decreased and I've losts a couple pounds (2 or 3).  I'm thirsty all the time. I'm having a little short term memory problem, but not too bad. And Im experiencing some sleep issues some nights and others nights I sleep really well, but have really strange dreams.  I'm hoping to lose about 20 lbs, but it's not just falling off, that's for sure.  
It will start to come off now...that is the way mine started. I was put on topamax in late April for migraines. At first the only thing I noticed was a few pounds and that I was not drinking my constant Dr. Pepper anymore because I could not tolerate the taste. My dr. started me low and at this point I am up to 300 mg. a day that I take at night and have lost a total of 57 lbs. It continues to come off and I am very happy with it. I do notice the short-term memory "fuzziness" usually when we change my dosage and then it levels out. Overall, I am very happy with this medication. I had put on a lot of extra weight with my three pregnancies and that is almost all gone! My migraines are not running my life!
4 Years ago I was prescribed xanax,lexapro,Welbutrin for PDA(panic attact disorder) and despression. I am 5'2" and weighted 115.  Then 3 years later I was put on topamax for migrains.  I now weigh 200lbs. and have just weined myself off the xanax lexapro and welbutrin.  I am praying that as soon as the medication gets out of my system the topamax will kick in.  I eat very healthy take walks.  From what I have read lexapro and most anti depressants slows down a persons metabolism.  I also am going to talk to my dr. about a low dose diet pill for 1 month to jump  start me into losing the weight. I will keep everyone posted. I wish you all the best.
I have been on a 100 mg/day dose of topamax for several years to control my migraines.  I am 5' 2' and weighed about 115 pounds when I started taking topamax.  While the headaches were reduced in both frequency and severity almost immediately, I didn't notice any change in weight or appetite.  Then about four years ago, my metabolism seemed to change and I dropped to 97 pounds in about 6 months.  I attribute this to the topamax since I am otherwise in good health. My weight has stayed constant at 97 pounds so I don't think those who are losing weight on topamax need to fear getting too thin.  
Background: 42 yr old male..Killer migraines started a few years ago and have been getting worse, Doc put's me on Prozac and all was fine for a while, then they start again. Up dose, doesn't help. Pharmacist sis-in-law talks to me about Topamax and I begin to research. I am very overweight(300) and like the idea of losing migraines AND weight. Most people comment on how bad soda tastes, implying many of you drank lots of soda before taking Topamax(which I don't drink) which could account for a serious drop in water weight from not drinking soda alone.. Does the drug affect the taste of sugar in general? Could weight loss be due to not liking the taste of certain foods or do you feel it's a metabolism issue? Who has been using it the longest? I will go to my Doc as soon as I am convinced it will really benefit me. If this drug can kill two birds with one stone I would be soo relieved.
Topamax has truly been a wonder drug for me. My migraines had progressed to daily episodes for 5 weeks and it took being on Topamax for 1 1/2 weeks before it stopped almost completely. I have breakthrough headaches, but nothing like the migraines. I've lost a little weight. I'm at 50mg and holding. My dr. told me I could go as high as I wanted to. To just stop at whatever level worked. My question is: Do you experience more weight loss/better results at higher doses? or just worse side effects? My side effects are occasional tingling of hands/feet. I've had an occasional cramp in the leg. I did have some mood swings in the beginning but those stabilized. I haven't noticed anything else.

Great relief from debilitating migraines. So happy not to have to go down the opiate road. (But I do miss my Cokes!)
yes i been on topamax for 6 mos foe mood and wellbutrn xl i take both and i lost 14lbs in 5 mons
I've been on 200mg of Topamax per day for the last six months.  I think it is a wonder drug because I have been migraine free AND I have dropped over 20 pounds!
is anyone taking topomax (topamax) just for weight loss and no other reason? i am interested in trying it and would like to know how it affects healthly adults age 50-60 years of age.
I am 5 '2 i weighed 138 about 3 months ago i am now down to 112.
i love this!
plus no more migraines.:]
jjust dont drink while on it...
What happens if you drink while on it?
I just took the first dose of 50mg tonight and will continue with 50mg twice daily tomorrow. Soda tastes horrible and some foods are taste bad but I still have my hearty appetite. I am drinking a lot of water, taking stool softeners, and a multivitamin but I am getting horrible heartburn since starting Topamax. When did most of you notice your appetite reduction (higher doses)?
I started Topamax for migraines 3 evenings ago. I am taking 25mg every night before bed for 7 days, then will increase to 50mg for one month, then to 100mg for a couple months, then take it from there.

I am 5'2" and weigh140, which may not sound like a lot but I am very small framed so I'm not built to be a heavy-set woman but gained weight after starting Lexapro. I would be happy to drop 20lbs but it doesn't seem to be happening no matter what I do with Lexapro.

I also take Wellbutrin and have taken Wellbutrin since I quit smoking in 2006. I experienced no weight gain at all with Wellbutrin but Lexapro was another story! With the topamax, I really haven't noticed any side effects, I have had some mild diarrhea and stomach problems, but I'm lactose intolerant and have a VERY touchy stomach so that may not necessarily be the medication - it could be anything.

I have not noticed any difference in tastes, smells, or any difference in appetite at all. Is it only in higher doses? Does it take a while?
Oh, and I take Topamax for severe migraines.
it has been a little over a week now since I started Topamax. I increased my dosage to 50mg daily a couple days early because I wasn't really having any bad side effects that other people were talking about. I have NO loss in appettite yet, so again, maybe that will come in the higher doses?? Who knows?

But, I haven't had any migraines. But, I have had headaches since I have started on Lexapro, since then I have tapered myself off and been off for a couple days now, and starting to feel good again. Still on my Wellbutrin, have no need to stop that.
I have Tourette's Syndrome and just started taking Topomax (topamax) on top of Klonopin and immediately can tell the difference that it it helping with the sniffling and snorting from the Tourette's - I am at 25 mg and will go up from there soon - am also interested in losing weight -

My neurologist put me on it and told me if I get the tingling in my fingers that Gaterade will take it away - a TON of water MUST be drunk every day or it will cause kidney stones and for me, very SEVERE leg cramps at night - thought I was going to die the first night I took my first pill - couldn't straighten up even.

Hope I lose some weight, but noticed immediately that I have very little desire for sweets and am just generally in a much better mood with more energy!!  Love it!!

Roberta
I'm 24 and have been struggling with migraines since I was about 16 or 17.  They got much worse when i hit 20 (just like my mother) and then really really bad when I got pregnant (July of last year).  I had migraines for weeks at a time and there wasn't much I could take because I was pregnant.  My OB would prescribe me percocet because it was the only thing that would give me any kind of relief.  I gave birth March 21 of this year and since then they have gotten a little better but I still get them.  I've tried a few different things but nothing seemed to work.  I just started Topomax (topamax) on 2 days ago (this evening will be my 3rd), just 25mg a day for the first week, then 50mg a day for a week, then I call the dr. and we'll either increase it or keep it the same depending on the effects.  I had a little bit of tingling but nothing major.  I'm excited to hear about the weight loss thing though because I gained 70lbs with my pregnancy!!!!  I'm 5'8'' and before i got pregnant i weighed 135lbs and when I gave birth I weighed 205lbs!!!!  I am down to 145 so I'd like to get rid of the last 10lbs.  I hope this works!!!!

Topomaz  I've slowly lost a few lbs. a month over the last few years. A total weight loss of 55 lbs I've been on 50mg morning and 100mg night. but I have not lost any weight for a year now and have a few breakthrough headaches maybe I need a dose increase? I have been so happy with the Topomax (topamax) for severe headaches and neck pain after fusion of my neck I was in agony. The weight loss was an added blessing I'm in a wheelchair and can't exercise much. It does affect your appetite and interest in food it's a great side effect to a great medication.
I've been taking 100mg/day for about 7 months and not only am I mostly headache free (occasionally a migraine can be triggered by a sinus headache) I have lost 22lbs.  I still experience the occasional tingling in my hands and feet but overall had very few negative side effects after the first month of slowly weaning onto the full dose.  I never had an issue with memory loss.  It's true soda tastes flat but I deal with it and I do notice that I still eat far less than I used too.  I'm just not as interested in food.  The only thing I didn't like was the way it effected my energy levels.  I used to work out 2 hrs/day (with minimal weight loss results, mind you) and within days of starting on topomax (topamax) I could barely make 3 steps without feeling completely fatigued and to this day I have little motivation to do more than walk a few miles, but the weight came off and at least I am working my heart!  I love topomax (topamax).  It's given me my life back.  The migraines were debilitating, the weight loss was a pleasant side effect :)
My physician just prescribed me Topamax to fight my ongoing headaches (not migraines but chronic sinus/tension headaches that have not even alleviated after surgery and nasal steroids), my generally high level of l moodiness and anxiety, and the negative (and related issue) of chronic insomnia.

I've read competing reports, however, regarding the effective use of
Topamax in the realms of the treatment of anxiety and insomnia--indeed, some patients report that Topamax actually increases rather markedly the experience of both, usually in diametric accordance with increases in medication.

While Topamax seems to be fantastic in terms of treating headaches-migraines as well as simultaneously granting most patients some weight-loss potential, it seems as though many patients also express concerns regarding 'brain fog/short-term memory loss' and mild-to-severe bouts of anxiety or paranoia. Physiological side-effects that appear to have caused intermittent cause for concern also include various levels of 'tingling' sinsations throughout the body, usually within the extremities, as well as worries over kidney stones, digestive system pain and associated problems, and reported cases of hair loss.

My doctor informed me I will only be only a very low dose, topping off at only 50 mg a day. Does anyone know what side effects I should expect to experience at this dosage? I typically have a very strong stomach but worry a great deal about any reports that Topamax exaggerates or causes anxiety or insomnia (as I am already accomplished in both arenas). I also do not have the patience to deal with the 'Stupimax'-Memory Fog effect or hair loss issues... so hope those who have taken Topamax might comment on their experiences so that I might have a more enlightened view of this medication and its effects (or non-effects) in these areas.

Thanks so much for your time. And thanks so much for this open dialogue--it's so much better than the crazy drug blogs I've stumbled across online... the supportive vibe is really positive... a great standard other websites should try to replicate.

J
I have been using topamax starting at 50 mg first week then 100 mg 2nd week (my orders not doctors LOL) tomorrow I go to doctor appt for follow up - he needs to increase me as the migraines are coming back slowly. Had a big one yesterday. Weight loss??? I know a week ago I had lost 10 lbs. this week I dont know yet.
but yes I feel alot of pins and needles and mental fogness. My husband calls it "my dummy pill" lol... you just have to stop and concentrate a little harder, but the bad side effects do fade away little by little,week 2 is better than week 1, so I assume it gets better. I am looking to lose 40 unwanted lbs I gained on anti-depressants, NEVER AGAIN will I take that junk-o-pills..waste of time and I can't take the weight off for my life, so this not only will help, it will take away 25 years of migraine suffering. My doctor calls it MY MIRACLE PILL....I will check in tomorrow with weight results. I started at 171 lbs 5'5 FT tall
It sounds like I'm having a situation similiar to yours. I've taken topamax 100 (50 twice a day) for 3 and a half weeks and haven't lost a pound. I feel as hungry as usual. Guess that means the drug doesn't give me that great side effect. Do you agree? Oh well.

uthmk
I am now on 150 mg twice a day = 300 mg a day. because of summer approaching the migraines seems to be getting a bit stronger so doctor increased it. Weight loss has been about nomore than 15 lbs in total. nothing major and its been what? 3 months I've been on it. So I decided to go back to the gym which is helping a great deal. pins & needles I still experience frequently but the mental fogness is wearing off a lot. I do loss the word I am about to say quite a lot, but it comes to me. "concentrate" is the key word people!!!
I love this medication and after years and years of every over the counter migraine medication and every prescription given to me - this has been the only relieve I've had. Since I was 6 years old I've been having migraine headaches. Im a 35 year woman now and I can finally live a normal life. I will live thorugh the side effects before going back to migraine headaches anyday
I started taking Topamax 50mg twice daily then moved up to 100mg to control seizures. I have to say that the difficulty concentrating did play a big part in my reluctance to try the drug. Im a college student and I really didnt want to have anything hindering my chances of me finishing school. I suffered from depression and had gained quite a bit of weight since highschool. I was up to around 200 lbs which isnt extremely bad, but when I looked at the BMI calculator and I saw that I was officially classified as obese I just sortof lost it. Its hard to lose that weight when you are already doing everything that you think you are able to do. Im not some health nut that can run a marathon every morning before work and still be okay to do everything else too.

Ive been on Topamax now for about two school semester now. To be honest it was a slow start and then it picked ut. But I didnt change anything extra. I havent had time to hit the gym because all my time has been used up at work or at school. People have said that they arent as hungry on topamax, but Im actually hungrier... Somehow Im still losing weight. The only thing that changed is I dont drink soda now. Only because I cant taste the carbonation. Now I just drink water, because frankly I might as well. It kindof urks me when my friends are around me and they all drink sodas and they they order me a water like Im too good for a soda, because god, sometimes I REALLY want one... but yeah thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. I've lost 60 pounds since the fall. Thats not some inflated number to give people hope. I have lost over 10 inches off my waist. Ive gone from wearing a 40" waistline to having a 28" waistline.

The weightloss is great, but I will warn you that it went really really quick... like the skin has no where to go... and although I feel lighter and a bit less ashamed about my weight. I still wont go off showing my body because I think my skin looks gross. Once I noticed how quickly I was losing weight I started using lotion that pregnant women use for their skin, but still. Its something to watch out for...
Hi, I'm Jenny. Just had my third dose of 50mg Topamax last night and tonight will be number four. I'll increase to 100mg in 2 weeks. Started on it for both bipolar disorder and bulimia. So far I've got pins and needles in my fingers and face and trouble sleeping. A little tired during the day. Havent tried soda. Food tastes ok, but I just don't want to eat. I'm physically hungry but no appetite. According to the scale I'm down about 3 pounds. Started at 132 so my weight really isnt a problem either way. Have had a tiny bit of memory loss but it hasnt been bad. Just hope the side effects (not the weight loss) don't get worse. I'll keep ya updated.
Jenny N,
I have been on Topamax for about 10 weeks. It has been kind of a crazy ride for me. I am attempting to stick it out however. I am having quite a few side effects from it and still waiting for the migraines to improve more. I have to put one warning out there though. For those of you that do experience the loss of appetite from it. PLEASE...make yourself eat. I am starting out very obese myself. I started 10 weeks ago at 264 pounds. I am one person that is very greatful for the weightloss. As of this morning, i am down to 222. Yes, that is 42 pounds. BUT, let me warn you, my body is starving itself. Even if you don't feel like eating, force yourself! If you don't feel like drinking, force yourself! This is a wee bit scarey! Weight loss is nice, but don't sacrifice yourself and your health!  
I'm relieved I found this forum!  I started 25 mg. 1x day( working up to 100 mg 1x day) Topomax (topamax) last Sun.(5 days ago) and feel soooo tired, but no migraines.  My appetite has about vanished, which is a great side effect, but my family is freaked out about my having to force myself to eat and not enjoying much of anything. They think it's odd because I'm 265 lbs/  5'7'' and normally love to cook & eat and not crazy about exercising.  I have tingly feet and hands, but sounds like a common side effect, that I hope disappears along with the diarrhea all day long.  Did I read avoiding dairy helps?  I will try that.  It would be a double blessing to have the migraines that have plaugued most of my life go away and well as lose about 100 lbs, but I hope to combat the awful tiredness and lack of concentration.  Maybe coffee instead of diet colas? (which I was addicted to and taste kinda crappy now).  Best wishes to all topomax (topamax) buddies!
so ive started topamax recently...only 1 week ago...i am taking 25mg 3X per day for a few different reasons...1:bipolar disorder 2:migrains 3:Anxiety 4:Depression 5:obeseity.... i have not noticed any symptoms like loss of appetite or numbness or tingling...i know it works wonders for my migrains and im definitely less "snappy"...but im aa little concerned with the confusion, weather it ever goes away or gets better after body gets adjusted to the meds...i dont know how i feel one minute to the next or what i want...
and its funny that i have found everyone posting about the pop tastes, i had fountain pop today, something i usually enjoy and it was awful. my mother said it was actually better then normal....something is wrong there, lol...im not complaining though, i do need to back away from sweets...
ive struggled with my weight fom all my life and when i found out this drug will also help me lose weight i couldnt wait to get started...now i cant wait to see some results, most my depression comes from lack of self love, i despise my body view and cant wait for a new mirror....im just wondering, does this work for everyone???
I recently started taking Topomax (topamax) for Migraines.  It has been one month. I started with 25mg once daily. No headaches..only pressure and throbbing in my head 3 times this month but NO pain.. So doc and I decided to increase dose to 25 mg 3 times daily.  I have lost 5 pounds on the low  dosage and hope to lose more (could stand to lose 30 more actually).  I have cut out all carbonated beverages do to the change of taste side effect. All carbonated drinks taste like flat metal.
My Dr. put my on Topamax last summer to prevent my migraines, which it has done wonderfully! In a little under a year I lost 145 pounds! I am no longer pre-diabetic and feeling alot better about myself! There are some side effects that I have noticed like tingeling sensation running up and down my arms (this doesn't happen often and it last a short period) every once in a while, and I sometimes have trouble recalling words I know as well as my own name. However, in my book, these side effects are worth dealing with for all the benefits that I have received from taking Topamax! THANK YOU TOPAMAX...YOU SAVED MY LIFE!
I have recognized that I am depressed, over weight suffer stupidly with irritability and anxiety and wanted to take topamax (Im also over weight) I have been to the GP who prescribed me a medication, I haven't taken as I don't want to gain weight (plus it states I cant drive!) I would love to take a medication that enhances my mood & makes me lose weight, I have never taken any medication at all before for depression,  I wanted to take 15mg and just stay at that dose I don't want to increase it? whats ur advice on me taking these topamax?
hello everyone, I am a severe migraine sufferer have been since the age of 15, my attacks are very intense usually end up in the hospital on an ivy, my days consist of worrying about my next attack and wondering when the next one will come, my boyfriend seems to think that they arent as bad as they truely are. I have been prescribed many medications to help reduce or prevent my migraines but so far nothing has helped.  My Dr. decided to see how I would do on topamax (topiramate) generic name, but I am so nervous that I  may have an adverse reaction, does any one have any good advice the mg is 50mgs at bedtime, today i am trying my first dose hoping to shed some weight & not concentrate on my migraines as much.
Tonight is exactly a week since I started on Topamax for migraines. I am 54 and have migraines for the last 40 years. Life before zoning nasal spay was so miserable. I resisted my neurologist's recommendation re. topamax for a long time because of possible side effects. Guess what? So far the only side effects are: not very pleasant taste in my mouth and reduced appetite. I was on 25 mg for a week. Today I took 50 mg for the first time. Hopefully next Wednesday will be 75 and Wednesday after that the final dose- 100mg. I was on amitriptyline for a year, it did not do it for migraines but I gained 18 lb. Hopefully now I'll kill two birds with one stone! Will be back in a week with the update.
Hello I am new to the community,

My name is Lisa I am 36 and have had chronic migraines since my teenage years. I get at least 3 -4 a week and have been on topamax for hmmmmmmmmmm over 15 years. I've been off and on of it and other meds in these past years and also have been up to my highest weight. I am 5 foot and was 215.  I have had neck surgery and low back surgery so I have chronic back pain and fibromyalgia. So I am on Cymbalta and they had also put me on Lyrica. The the Lyrica just put weight on me but really didn't seem to help me. So once I convinced my doctor that it wasn't helping and it was just adding the pounds he took me off. My migraines are getting worse so I am now increased to 150mg of course I have been higher and lower throughout the years and I have been reading on here and I have had to force myself to eat I never knew which meds it was and sometimes I can drink soda and sometimes I don't want it and it does taste horrible and I never knew why and it's so funny all this time I am just finding out why.   Im finally cut out the Lyrica and cut stop eating alot of the sweets and really all I drink is one mild flavor gatorade and sweet tea about one cup of coffee and not much a day enough and I am at 180 and that is from last July. So 35 pounds I guess I don't know if it is just the topamax bjt you do have to watch the other meds your on and what else your eating. I can't really do much in exercise so this is what I can do. Good Luck!
I was on Topamax 5 yrs. ago and had to stop because of the hair loss.  It was awful!  I had thick curly hair and all of a sudden it was falling out everywhere.  I tried Nioxin Shampoo and it helped a little.  I gradually went off it and my hair grew back.  It also made me extremely nauseas 24 hours a day.  
Hello everyone

I was put on Topamate for migraines on July 3rd I started at 25 mg and am now at 25 twice a a once in the am and once in the am. I hate soda. it is really gross. I took a sip of soda after my second dose and it felt like I set my mouth on fire it blistered the roof of my mouth... Did this happen to anyone else? I start 75 mg in a few days. I have noticed a small weight loss I am hoping I lose weight. The only side effects I have so far is a little bit of tingling in my heels, and finger tips. I don't get dopy, or dizzy, or forget things. I can live wit that. My migraine are gone I haven't had one since starting this med. I do have the loss of appetite I don't mind though I am over weight and a bad beige eater. Does anyone know when you start to lose weight? Now that my migraines are under control I would like to get control of my weight and a nice side effect like that would help.