Any luck with Topamax?
My dr. put me on Topamax... for migranes, but also for weightloss... He says it will really kick in and start helping me shed weight once I get up to the 150-200mg mark. I am currently on 100mg's/day and will increase to 150mgs by the weeks end...then 200mg's by the following week...
Anyone else use this drug and what are your experiances at the different dosage levels? I have no headaches at all which I love... no side effects except for an occasional slight tingly feeling in my heels of my foot... but its very very mild and very unnoticable.(may not even be related...who knows)
But anyway, if anyone has any input to offer, that would be awesome.
Anyone lose any good amount of weight? If so, how much and in what time frame?
I notice a big decrese in my appetite already... pretty much have to force myself to eat cause i am never hungry which is nice.... wonder what will happen as the dosage goes up even more?

Thanks!
Hi!again everyone.... I went to see Dietitian the other day and she is so pleased on the results of the topamax. Let me back track a little I promise It'll be a short one.
I was sent to my Dietitian from my Endrconologist for my thyroid;they found that I had high sugar so they had to put me on a low-carb diet like that helped! anyway, my Dietition found out that I had been on Depakot(for 9 years) and to my surprise the main side-effect is weight gain... and of course, my dr. had faild to tell me that!!!!!! so here I am my last visit at neuro. I demanded new meds. and by golly I got it!

To make a small story short ... the reason why I'm sending this note is I have some imfo. from my Dietition on topamax she says that it can cause Anemia and it can decrease white blood cells if you all don't know. Talk to your dr. because I had blood work done for my thyroid and it should that I was on the low end of being Anemic. Take care

V.E.J. @ work

V.E.J. @ work
Hi everybody,

Thought I'd give you an update. If you are recently new, I am on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg 1/day and topomax; current scrip is 50 mg 1/day (I take 1 25 mg in morning and 1 at night). Although I am overweight, my main reason why I am on Topomax is because of my depression/anxiety, or maybe bi-polar (the doc and I am in the middle of figuring out which one I am, ha ha!!). I will be moving up to 100 mg of t-max next week.

I have been dealing with depression (or something of the sort) for 6 years right after my second child was born (i couldn't snap out of PPD). I am a married, stay at home mom of 3 children ages 2, 6 and 9; one of which is ADHD, AND my husband is also ADD (wow that enough would make a normal person crazy, right???). I love all of them dearly and that is why I am so desperate to get the right dosage so my sweet family can have their loving mommy and wife BACK! They have been real troopers through all this, God love 'em.

Like many of you, I've tried almost everything the pharmaceutical companies can dish out for depression, but I never felt 100%. It knocked out the depression, but I still had feelings of rage, anxiety, then euphoria, and at times I could conquer the world (give me a break!! Does that sound just conceeded or what?). Finally I decided to dump my old doc and shop for a new one, and boy am I glad I did. Now I am in a whole new ball game...I didn't even THINK that maybe, just maybe....I may be bi-polar (it wouldn't surprise me, since after some research into my roots I found several ancestors who had mental disorders)!

For 6 years I wasted my time and $$ on SSRI's that just gave me headaches and a weight gain of 50 pounds! That could give you depression just in itself! All this time I thought I'd developed really bad eating habits, but now I know better! I at least walked 2x/week and made nutritious meals for my family and even though we ate out once in awhile, it's not like we stopped at McDonald's 5 times a week! No wonder most of us here who've tried other drugs are elated to see that Topomax is helping us reclaim the bodies we had before taking those "other" drugs!

Okay..I'm off the soapbox now. Oh, and by the way...I've been on Topomax for 2 weeks, and I've lost 3 pounds. Whoopie!

I have also noticed that my moods are so much better, just in a matter of a few weeks. My husband has too. We went out with some friends last night and he couldn't believe how happy I was. I couldn't stop laughing...I had such a great time (and hey guys, I don't even drink alcohol!!!).

Don't get me wrong; there have been some bad days. You're going to have "those" days while your body adjusts, especially if you've been on one kind of medication for years. Remember-- I was on SSRi's for 6 years and then switched to Wellbutrin and Topomax that control two different areas of the brain. Believe me your brain is going to go "uh.....what happened here???? where's my ssri???.....I'm crabby!!!! I want my ssri!!!"

I can't wait to tell my doctor about last night. He is going to be so excited. I asked my husband this morning if I was too crazy on our date (like to the point of embarrassing him) and with tears in his eyes, he told me, "No way...I am so happy to see you this way honey...I can't remember the last time seeing you this joyful...it's wonderful." (sniff sniff)!!!!!

Okay I've babbled enough. I am just so happy today that I can't get it out fast enough! I hope it stays and it's not just a fluke....not just for my benefit, but for yours, too! We all need some faith promoting stories to keep us going, right?

Until next time....(after I go to 100 mg)

Denise Ann
well i went to the doc yesterday .i have only lost 1 lbs im looking at it in a positive way .i went on vacation for 2 weeks, ate what ever i wanted , iv been under alote of stress too. i had to leave my dad in the hospital in d.c.on our vacation and he is still there in te hospital and im back homein IN. so 1 lb is ok .im now on 200 mg a day.
well I met w/ my dr. on Mon. and everything went pretty well. I am pretty well stable at 275mg.  We agreed not to change the dose even though I have had a few break threw headaches.  As far as the appetite goes he thinks its related to the toprol I take for my heart arhtymia(sp).  At least I can eat pretty much what I want and not gain anything so I guess I should be happy with that.  Once the weather warms up in my area, I agreed to start walking a little bit more and he thinks that will help with getting a few pounds off.  Other than that I really don't have any other adverse side effects accept when I take the drug I can pretty much say that within 30 minutes I am so ready for bed.  Sallie sorry to hear about your dad hopefully nothing too serious.  And what a positive attitude about losing 1#. The rest will come off.  I am sure of it.  Good luck!
Hello everyone. I have found this site to be so helpful and comforting. Everyone's comments about Topamax have been honest and supportive. I will start Topamax at the end of the week mainly for weight loss, but I have been on several anti depressant meds for 3 years and like many of you have gained about 50lbs. I can't stand myself anymore!!! I am saying a lot of prayers hoping I will be one of the lucky ones that will experience weight loss. I'm really nervous about the side effects and with my job I can't afford the memory problems and mind foggyness.  I will return to the site as soon as I get started and share my experience. Hang in there everyone!
Hello Everyone,

I been reading your posts and think it's wonderful how you support eachother.  Last night was my first night of taking topamax. I am taking it because the medications I was on were making me gain too much weight and the weight has been physically hurting my back and bone structure.  I think it was too fast and my bones and muscles didn't have the time to develop to hold it. I was taking seroquel and still am taking cymbalta but i'll slowly taper off of that.  I'm so glad.

This topamax is also supposed to help w/ sleep.  I hope so.  My first impression this morning, was lots of nasea and no desire to eat.  Also overwhelming fatigue.  But I moved a truckload of boxes w/ my boyfriend up 4 flights of stairs and I have Fibromyalgia so who knows what is what.

I am very glad that I a will have a place where I can be w/ others that are taking the same medication I am.
Hey There,
I have been on Topamax for about 4 months now for migraines.  It has helped tremendously!! I had put on some weight since I had my last child which was 2-1/2 years ago.  I am now 42 years old.  I must say it has been a bugger getting the weight off, but since being put on the Topamax, the weight has all but fallen off pretty much effortlessly.  I do exercise a bit about 3 times a week on my elliptical machine and I watch what I eat. I try to stick to a low-carb, high-protein diet.  When I was put on the Topamax I weighed in at 170 pounds and I am 5 feet 3 inches, so I was definitely overweight for my height.  I know weigh in at 148 pounds.  Plus, I am pretty much headache free besides!  I love this medication!!  It is the best.  I hope they do not take it off the market because if they do, I will just CRY MY EYES OUT!!!   FIRST AND FOREMOST because it has helped me for my migraines which I have suffered from for over 20 years now!!!  I have had them chronically for 7 to 10 days out of every single month which put me bedridden.  It was a nightmare!   I began at the 25 mg mark and it took me about 3 months or so to get up to 75 mg twice a day so I now take 150 mg total and that dosage seems to be working for me.   My question is how long can one stay on this medication??  I think my doctor told me indefinitely!!  I am just wondering.. if you stay on it forever.. does your weight start to stabilize or do you continue to keep on losing weight??  That kind of scares me.. because I know one can get too thin!!!  I have been at that point in my life and it is scary!!  Any comments would be appreciated!  
Thank you in advance!!
Have you heard they are going take Topamax off the market? That worries me. I just went back on it after being off of it for 5 months, during which time I began obsessing about food again and other things. I lost weight about ten pounds last time but stabilized when I hit the mid 130s, so I don't think you'll just keep losing as long as you're still eating. I always found that I still eat...I just don't crave the extra. Although, sometimes I find that I am hungry but crave nothing. I think it takes you're appetite away but not you're hunger. I am pretty sure you can stay on it forever, as long as the side effects don't bother you. I finally felt the tingaling this morning after five days and was relieved to know the pill was working --- I was worried because I felt nothing! I don't have the cognitive effects though.
Has any one had hair loss? My headaches came back now I think they are under control again.this post started in dec of 05 .I'm now 115 from 189.I have lost alote of hair in the year . I have filled a gallen and 1/2 baggy.
I was just prescribed topamax today with a dosage of 50mg daily for the next month. My doc said he will increase it monthly. I have been taking depression meds for years. I started on prozac, which had too many sexual side effects. Then I took paxil for two years and gained 70lbs! I got so mad one month and quit the meds cold turkey and lost 50lbs in one year. Then I got pregnant and gained back the 50lbs. I got severely depressed after my son was born and was put on wellbutrin. I currenlty take 400mg a day. I also take .5mg of xanax as needed. Wellbutrin helped, but did not take all the depression away. My doctor decided to put me on a low dose of celexa to supplement the wellbutrin. I gained 30lbs in two months. Today he gave me topamax to see if it helps me lose some weight. I currently weigh 210lbs. I really hope it works. I am so depressed without the meds, but the weight gain depresses me in a whole new way. I used to weigh 118 before I ever had a baby (i actually have two children) or took any medicine.
I am currently taking Seroquel for sleep and anxiety.  I have gained 18 pounds in 4 months.  I am 6' tall and now weigh a wopping 215 lbs.  That is an all-time record for me.  Anyway, my doctor is suggesting prescribing topamax to suppress my appetite, since the benefits of the seroquel are so great for taming my underlying anxiety and mood swings.  I also take focalin for ADHD, which has typically suppressed my appetite at least a little in the past, so the constant hunger pains are a new feeling with the addition of seroquel.  My question is has anyone else taken the combination of seroquel, topamax and focalin or any combo therein?  I am curious as to what your experience has been.  Thanks!
Hi, I have been taking topamax for migraine for a little almost three weeks, will increase to 75ml tomorrow. I've noticed I have no desire for alcohol (and I used to drink daily, so I guess this is a good this.) Soda or anything carbonated tastes horrible. My appetite has decreased and I've losts a couple pounds (2 or 3).  I'm thirsty all the time. I'm having a little short term memory problem, but not too bad. And Im experiencing some sleep issues some nights and others nights I sleep really well, but have really strange dreams.  I'm hoping to lose about 20 lbs, but it's not just falling off, that's for sure.  
It will start to come off now...that is the way mine started. I was put on topamax in late April for migraines. At first the only thing I noticed was a few pounds and that I was not drinking my constant Dr. Pepper anymore because I could not tolerate the taste. My dr. started me low and at this point I am up to 300 mg. a day that I take at night and have lost a total of 57 lbs. It continues to come off and I am very happy with it. I do notice the short-term memory "fuzziness" usually when we change my dosage and then it levels out. Overall, I am very happy with this medication. I had put on a lot of extra weight with my three pregnancies and that is almost all gone! My migraines are not running my life!
4 Years ago I was prescribed xanax,lexapro,Welbutrin for PDA(panic attact disorder) and despression. I am 5'2" and weighted 115.  Then 3 years later I was put on topamax for migrains.  I now weigh 200lbs. and have just weined myself off the xanax lexapro and welbutrin.  I am praying that as soon as the medication gets out of my system the topamax will kick in.  I eat very healthy take walks.  From what I have read lexapro and most anti depressants slows down a persons metabolism.  I also am going to talk to my dr. about a low dose diet pill for 1 month to jump  start me into losing the weight. I will keep everyone posted. I wish you all the best.
I have been on a 100 mg/day dose of topamax for several years to control my migraines.  I am 5' 2' and weighed about 115 pounds when I started taking topamax.  While the headaches were reduced in both frequency and severity almost immediately, I didn't notice any change in weight or appetite.  Then about four years ago, my metabolism seemed to change and I dropped to 97 pounds in about 6 months.  I attribute this to the topamax since I am otherwise in good health. My weight has stayed constant at 97 pounds so I don't think those who are losing weight on topamax need to fear getting too thin.  
Background: 42 yr old male..Killer migraines started a few years ago and have been getting worse, Doc put's me on Prozac and all was fine for a while, then they start again. Up dose, doesn't help. Pharmacist sis-in-law talks to me about Topamax and I begin to research. I am very overweight(300) and like the idea of losing migraines AND weight. Most people comment on how bad soda tastes, implying many of you drank lots of soda before taking Topamax(which I don't drink) which could account for a serious drop in water weight from not drinking soda alone.. Does the drug affect the taste of sugar in general? Could weight loss be due to not liking the taste of certain foods or do you feel it's a metabolism issue? Who has been using it the longest? I will go to my Doc as soon as I am convinced it will really benefit me. If this drug can kill two birds with one stone I would be soo relieved.
Topamax has truly been a wonder drug for me. My migraines had progressed to daily episodes for 5 weeks and it took being on Topamax for 1 1/2 weeks before it stopped almost completely. I have breakthrough headaches, but nothing like the migraines. I've lost a little weight. I'm at 50mg and holding. My dr. told me I could go as high as I wanted to. To just stop at whatever level worked. My question is: Do you experience more weight loss/better results at higher doses? or just worse side effects? My side effects are occasional tingling of hands/feet. I've had an occasional cramp in the leg. I did have some mood swings in the beginning but those stabilized. I haven't noticed anything else.

Great relief from debilitating migraines. So happy not to have to go down the opiate road. (But I do miss my Cokes!)
yes i been on topamax for 6 mos foe mood and wellbutrn xl i take both and i lost 14lbs in 5 mons
I've been on 200mg of Topamax per day for the last six months.  I think it is a wonder drug because I have been migraine free AND I have dropped over 20 pounds!
is anyone taking topomax just for weight loss and no other reason? i am interested in trying it and would like to know how it affects healthly adults age 50-60 years of age.
I am 5 '2 i weighed 138 about 3 months ago i am now down to 112.
i love this!
plus no more migraines.:]
jjust dont drink while on it...
What happens if you drink while on it?
I just took the first dose of 50mg tonight and will continue with 50mg twice daily tomorrow. Soda tastes horrible and some foods are taste bad but I still have my hearty appetite. I am drinking a lot of water, taking stool softeners, and a multivitamin but I am getting horrible heartburn since starting Topamax. When did most of you notice your appetite reduction (higher doses)?
I started Topamax for migraines 3 evenings ago. I am taking 25mg every night before bed for 7 days, then will increase to 50mg for one month, then to 100mg for a couple months, then take it from there.

I am 5'2" and weigh140, which may not sound like a lot but I am very small framed so I'm not built to be a heavy-set woman but gained weight after starting Lexapro. I would be happy to drop 20lbs but it doesn't seem to be happening no matter what I do with Lexapro.

I also take Wellbutrin and have taken Wellbutrin since I quit smoking in 2006. I experienced no weight gain at all with Wellbutrin but Lexapro was another story! With the topamax, I really haven't noticed any side effects, I have had some mild diarrhea and stomach problems, but I'm lactose intolerant and have a VERY touchy stomach so that may not necessarily be the medication - it could be anything.

I have not noticed any difference in tastes, smells, or any difference in appetite at all. Is it only in higher doses? Does it take a while?
Oh, and I take Topamax for severe migraines.
it has been a little over a week now since I started Topamax. I increased my dosage to 50mg daily a couple days early because I wasn't really having any bad side effects that other people were talking about. I have NO loss in appettite yet, so again, maybe that will come in the higher doses?? Who knows?

But, I haven't had any migraines. But, I have had headaches since I have started on Lexapro, since then I have tapered myself off and been off for a couple days now, and starting to feel good again. Still on my Wellbutrin, have no need to stop that.
I have Tourette's Syndrome and just started taking Topomax on top of Klonopin and immediately can tell the difference that it it helping with the sniffling and snorting from the Tourette's - I am at 25 mg and will go up from there soon - am also interested in losing weight -

My neurologist put me on it and told me if I get the tingling in my fingers that Gaterade will take it away - a TON of water MUST be drunk every day or it will cause kidney stones and for me, very SEVERE leg cramps at night - thought I was going to die the first night I took my first pill - couldn't straighten up even.

Hope I lose some weight, but noticed immediately that I have very little desire for sweets and am just generally in a much better mood with more energy!!  Love it!!

Roberta
I'm 24 and have been struggling with migraines since I was about 16 or 17.  They got much worse when i hit 20 (just like my mother) and then really really bad when I got pregnant (July of last year).  I had migraines for weeks at a time and there wasn't much I could take because I was pregnant.  My OB would prescribe me percocet because it was the only thing that would give me any kind of relief.  I gave birth March 21 of this year and since then they have gotten a little better but I still get them.  I've tried a few different things but nothing seemed to work.  I just started Topomax on 2 days ago (this evening will be my 3rd), just 25mg a day for the first week, then 50mg a day for a week, then I call the dr. and we'll either increase it or keep it the same depending on the effects.  I had a little bit of tingling but nothing major.  I'm excited to hear about the weight loss thing though because I gained 70lbs with my pregnancy!!!!  I'm 5'8'' and before i got pregnant i weighed 135lbs and when I gave birth I weighed 205lbs!!!!  I am down to 145 so I'd like to get rid of the last 10lbs.  I hope this works!!!!

Topomaz  I've slowly lost a few lbs. a month over the last few years. A total weight loss of 55 lbs I've been on 50mg morning and 100mg night. but I have not lost any weight for a year now and have a few breakthrough headaches maybe I need a dose increase? I have been so happy with the Topomax for severe headaches and neck pain after fusion of my neck I was in agony. The weight loss was an added blessing I'm in a wheelchair and can't exercise much. It does affect your appetite and interest in food it's a great side effect to a great medication.
I've been taking 100mg/day for about 7 months and not only am I mostly headache free (occasionally a migraine can be triggered by a sinus headache) I have lost 22lbs.  I still experience the occasional tingling in my hands and feet but overall had very few negative side effects after the first month of slowly weaning onto the full dose.  I never had an issue with memory loss.  It's true soda tastes flat but I deal with it and I do notice that I still eat far less than I used too.  I'm just not as interested in food.  The only thing I didn't like was the way it effected my energy levels.  I used to work out 2 hrs/day (with minimal weight loss results, mind you) and within days of starting on topomax I could barely make 3 steps without feeling completely fatigued and to this day I have little motivation to do more than walk a few miles, but the weight came off and at least I am working my heart!  I love topomax.  It's given me my life back.  The migraines were debilitating, the weight loss was a pleasant side effect :)
My physician just prescribed me Topamax to fight my ongoing headaches (not migraines but chronic sinus/tension headaches that have not even alleviated after surgery and nasal steroids), my generally high level of l moodiness and anxiety, and the negative (and related issue) of chronic insomnia.

I've read competing reports, however, regarding the effective use of
Topamax in the realms of the treatment of anxiety and insomnia--indeed, some patients report that Topamax actually increases rather markedly the experience of both, usually in diametric accordance with increases in medication.

While Topamax seems to be fantastic in terms of treating headaches-migraines as well as simultaneously granting most patients some weight-loss potential, it seems as though many patients also express concerns regarding 'brain fog/short-term memory loss' and mild-to-severe bouts of anxiety or paranoia. Physiological side-effects that appear to have caused intermittent cause for concern also include various levels of 'tingling' sinsations throughout the body, usually within the extremities, as well as worries over kidney stones, digestive system pain and associated problems, and reported cases of hair loss.

My doctor informed me I will only be only a very low dose, topping off at only 50 mg a day. Does anyone know what side effects I should expect to experience at this dosage? I typically have a very strong stomach but worry a great deal about any reports that Topamax exaggerates or causes anxiety or insomnia (as I am already accomplished in both arenas). I also do not have the patience to deal with the 'Stupimax'-Memory Fog effect or hair loss issues... so hope those who have taken Topamax might comment on their experiences so that I might have a more enlightened view of this medication and its effects (or non-effects) in these areas.

Thanks so much for your time. And thanks so much for this open dialogue--it's so much better than the crazy drug blogs I've stumbled across online... the supportive vibe is really positive... a great standard other websites should try to replicate.

J
I have been using topamax starting at 50 mg first week then 100 mg 2nd week (my orders not doctors LOL) tomorrow I go to doctor appt for follow up - he needs to increase me as the migraines are coming back slowly. Had a big one yesterday. Weight loss??? I know a week ago I had lost 10 lbs. this week I dont know yet.
but yes I feel alot of pins and needles and mental fogness. My husband calls it "my dummy pill" lol... you just have to stop and concentrate a little harder, but the bad side effects do fade away little by little,week 2 is better than week 1, so I assume it gets better. I am looking to lose 40 unwanted lbs I gained on anti-depressants, NEVER AGAIN will I take that junk-o-pills..waste of time and I can't take the weight off for my life, so this not only will help, it will take away 25 years of migraine suffering. My doctor calls it MY MIRACLE PILL....I will check in tomorrow with weight results. I started at 171 lbs 5'5 FT tall
It sounds like I'm having a situation similiar to yours. I've taken topamax 100 (50 twice a day) for 3 and a half weeks and haven't lost a pound. I feel as hungry as usual. Guess that means the drug doesn't give me that great side effect. Do you agree? Oh well.

uthmk
I am now on 150 mg twice a day = 300 mg a day. because of summer approaching the migraines seems to be getting a bit stronger so doctor increased it. Weight loss has been about nomore than 15 lbs in total. nothing major and its been what? 3 months I've been on it. So I decided to go back to the gym which is helping a great deal. pins & needles I still experience frequently but the mental fogness is wearing off a lot. I do loss the word I am about to say quite a lot, but it comes to me. "concentrate" is the key word people!!!
I love this medication and after years and years of every over the counter migraine medication and every prescription given to me - this has been the only relieve I've had. Since I was 6 years old I've been having migraine headaches. Im a 35 year woman now and I can finally live a normal life. I will live thorugh the side effects before going back to migraine headaches anyday
I started taking Topamax 50mg twice daily then moved up to 100mg to control seizures. I have to say that the difficulty concentrating did play a big part in my reluctance to try the drug. Im a college student and I really didnt want to have anything hindering my chances of me finishing school. I suffered from depression and had gained quite a bit of weight since highschool. I was up to around 200 lbs which isnt extremely bad, but when I looked at the BMI calculator and I saw that I was officially classified as obese I just sortof lost it. Its hard to lose that weight when you are already doing everything that you think you are able to do. Im not some health nut that can run a marathon every morning before work and still be okay to do everything else too.

Ive been on Topamax now for about two school semester now. To be honest it was a slow start and then it picked ut. But I didnt change anything extra. I havent had time to hit the gym because all my time has been used up at work or at school. People have said that they arent as hungry on topamax, but Im actually hungrier... Somehow Im still losing weight. The only thing that changed is I dont drink soda now. Only because I cant taste the carbonation. Now I just drink water, because frankly I might as well. It kindof urks me when my friends are around me and they all drink sodas and they they order me a water like Im too good for a soda, because god, sometimes I REALLY want one... but yeah thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. I've lost 60 pounds since the fall. Thats not some inflated number to give people hope. I have lost over 10 inches off my waist. Ive gone from wearing a 40" waistline to having a 28" waistline.

The weightloss is great, but I will warn you that it went really really quick... like the skin has no where to go... and although I feel lighter and a bit less ashamed about my weight. I still wont go off showing my body because I think my skin looks gross. Once I noticed how quickly I was losing weight I started using lotion that pregnant women use for their skin, but still. Its something to watch out for...
Hi, I'm Jenny. Just had my third dose of 50mg Topamax last night and tonight will be number four. I'll increase to 100mg in 2 weeks. Started on it for both bipolar disorder and bulimia. So far I've got pins and needles in my fingers and face and trouble sleeping. A little tired during the day. Havent tried soda. Food tastes ok, but I just don't want to eat. I'm physically hungry but no appetite. According to the scale I'm down about 3 pounds. Started at 132 so my weight really isnt a problem either way. Have had a tiny bit of memory loss but it hasnt been bad. Just hope the side effects (not the weight loss) don't get worse. I'll keep ya updated.
Jenny N,
I have been on Topamax for about 10 weeks. It has been kind of a crazy ride for me. I am attempting to stick it out however. I am having quite a few side effects from it and still waiting for the migraines to improve more. I have to put one warning out there though. For those of you that do experience the loss of appetite from it. PLEASE...make yourself eat. I am starting out very obese myself. I started 10 weeks ago at 264 pounds. I am one person that is very greatful for the weightloss. As of this morning, i am down to 222. Yes, that is 42 pounds. BUT, let me warn you, my body is starving itself. Even if you don't feel like eating, force yourself! If you don't feel like drinking, force yourself! This is a wee bit scarey! Weight loss is nice, but don't sacrifice yourself and your health!  
I'm relieved I found this forum!  I started 25 mg. 1x day( working up to 100 mg 1x day) Topomax last Sun.(5 days ago) and feel soooo tired, but no migraines.  My appetite has about vanished, which is a great side effect, but my family is freaked out about my having to force myself to eat and not enjoying much of anything. They think it's odd because I'm 265 lbs/  5'7'' and normally love to cook & eat and not crazy about exercising.  I have tingly feet and hands, but sounds like a common side effect, that I hope disappears along with the diarrhea all day long.  Did I read avoiding dairy helps?  I will try that.  It would be a double blessing to have the migraines that have plaugued most of my life go away and well as lose about 100 lbs, but I hope to combat the awful tiredness and lack of concentration.  Maybe coffee instead of diet colas? (which I was addicted to and taste kinda crappy now).  Best wishes to all topomax buddies!
so ive started topamax recently...only 1 week ago...i am taking 25mg 3X per day for a few different reasons...1:bipolar disorder 2:migrains 3:Anxiety 4:Depression 5:obeseity.... i have not noticed any symptoms like loss of appetite or numbness or tingling...i know it works wonders for my migrains and im definitely less "snappy"...but im aa little concerned with the confusion, weather it ever goes away or gets better after body gets adjusted to the meds...i dont know how i feel one minute to the next or what i want...
and its funny that i have found everyone posting about the pop tastes, i had fountain pop today, something i usually enjoy and it was awful. my mother said it was actually better then normal....something is wrong there, lol...im not complaining though, i do need to back away from sweets...
ive struggled with my weight fom all my life and when i found out this drug will also help me lose weight i couldnt wait to get started...now i cant wait to see some results, most my depression comes from lack of self love, i despise my body view and cant wait for a new mirror....im just wondering, does this work for everyone???
I recently started taking Topomax for Migraines.  It has been one month. I started with 25mg once daily. No headaches..only pressure and throbbing in my head 3 times this month but NO pain.. So doc and I decided to increase dose to 25 mg 3 times daily.  I have lost 5 pounds on the low  dosage and hope to lose more (could stand to lose 30 more actually).  I have cut out all carbonated beverages do to the change of taste side effect. All carbonated drinks taste like flat metal.
My Dr. put my on Topamax last summer to prevent my migraines, which it has done wonderfully! In a little under a year I lost 145 pounds! I am no longer pre-diabetic and feeling alot better about myself! There are some side effects that I have noticed like tingeling sensation running up and down my arms (this doesn't happen often and it last a short period) every once in a while, and I sometimes have trouble recalling words I know as well as my own name. However, in my book, these side effects are worth dealing with for all the benefits that I have received from taking Topamax! THANK YOU TOPAMAX...YOU SAVED MY LIFE!
I have recognized that I am depressed, over weight suffer stupidly with irritability and anxiety and wanted to take topamax (Im also over weight) I have been to the GP who prescribed me a medication, I haven't taken as I don't want to gain weight (plus it states I cant drive!) I would love to take a medication that enhances my mood & makes me lose weight, I have never taken any medication at all before for depression,  I wanted to take 15mg and just stay at that dose I don't want to increase it? whats ur advice on me taking these topamax?
hello everyone, I am a severe migraine sufferer have been since the age of 15, my attacks are very intense usually end up in the hospital on an ivy, my days consist of worrying about my next attack and wondering when the next one will come, my boyfriend seems to think that they arent as bad as they truely are. I have been prescribed many medications to help reduce or prevent my migraines but so far nothing has helped.  My Dr. decided to see how I would do on topamax (topiramate) generic name, but I am so nervous that I  may have an adverse reaction, does any one have any good advice the mg is 50mgs at bedtime, today i am trying my first dose hoping to shed some weight & not concentrate on my migraines as much.
Tonight is exactly a week since I started on Topamax for migraines. I am 54 and have migraines for the last 40 years. Life before zoning nasal spay was so miserable. I resisted my neurologist's recommendation re. topamax for a long time because of possible side effects. Guess what? So far the only side effects are: not very pleasant taste in my mouth and reduced appetite. I was on 25 mg for a week. Today I took 50 mg for the first time. Hopefully next Wednesday will be 75 and Wednesday after that the final dose- 100mg. I was on amitriptyline for a year, it did not do it for migraines but I gained 18 lb. Hopefully now I'll kill two birds with one stone! Will be back in a week with the update.
Hello I am new to the community,

My name is Lisa I am 36 and have had chronic migraines since my teenage years. I get at least 3 -4 a week and have been on topamax for hmmmmmmmmmm over 15 years. I've been off and on of it and other meds in these past years and also have been up to my highest weight. I am 5 foot and was 215.  I have had neck surgery and low back surgery so I have chronic back pain and fibromyalgia. So I am on Cymbalta and they had also put me on Lyrica. The the Lyrica just put weight on me but really didn't seem to help me. So once I convinced my doctor that it wasn't helping and it was just adding the pounds he took me off. My migraines are getting worse so I am now increased to 150mg of course I have been higher and lower throughout the years and I have been reading on here and I have had to force myself to eat I never knew which meds it was and sometimes I can drink soda and sometimes I don't want it and it does taste horrible and I never knew why and it's so funny all this time I am just finding out why.   Im finally cut out the Lyrica and cut stop eating alot of the sweets and really all I drink is one mild flavor gatorade and sweet tea about one cup of coffee and not much a day enough and I am at 180 and that is from last July. So 35 pounds I guess I don't know if it is just the topamax bjt you do have to watch the other meds your on and what else your eating. I can't really do much in exercise so this is what I can do. Good Luck!
I was on Topamax 5 yrs. ago and had to stop because of the hair loss.  It was awful!  I had thick curly hair and all of a sudden it was falling out everywhere.  I tried Nioxin Shampoo and it helped a little.  I gradually went off it and my hair grew back.  It also made me extremely nauseas 24 hours a day.  
Hello everyone

I was put on Topamate for migraines on July 3rd I started at 25 mg and am now at 25 twice a a once in the am and once in the am. I hate soda. it is really gross. I took a sip of soda after my second dose and it felt like I set my mouth on fire it blistered the roof of my mouth... Did this happen to anyone else? I start 75 mg in a few days. I have noticed a small weight loss I am hoping I lose weight. The only side effects I have so far is a little bit of tingling in my heels, and finger tips. I don't get dopy, or dizzy, or forget things. I can live wit that. My migraine are gone I haven't had one since starting this med. I do have the loss of appetite I don't mind though I am over weight and a bad beige eater. Does anyone know when you start to lose weight? Now that my migraines are under control I would like to get control of my weight and a nice side effect like that would help.
The weight will come off not the first month but wait until month 2 or 3 then it starts. I was 189, month 1 189, month 2 185, month 3 165, month 4 140 month 5 120 now it's month 6 and I weigh 110, a dim scared . Never so thin I my life need to get off this med, but the withdrawal is horrible I'm told, so be careful you will lose weight a lot of it. Then what it doesn't stop like me you will be so thin it's a little scary email me if u want to talk ***@****
What was your dosage each month??
This is my first post after going thru most of the messages. I am currently on two 100 Topamax before bed and One 100 Topamax in the Morning along with my 400mg of Prozac. And My weight is melting off with out even trying. I started the Topamax first about a year ago and my weight began to come of slowly then my doctor put me on Prozac about 6 months ago and that's when my weight really started coming off about a year and a half ago I was 200 lbs and now I am down to 168. I have dropped five sizes. I can eat whatever I want, which is kinda odd because I don't gain any weight. Its a nice feeling but I cant help but wonder when it will stop? and being my age (as a older adult over 40) it now leaves me with a lot of granny swing, as I call it that I didn't have before in my arms. And I have not butt or leg muscle at all. I wonder if this will taper off at some point?