Weight Loss Alternatives Community
B12 shot vs. oral

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

B12 shot vs. oral

I know this has been discussed alot on the board but no one seems to answer the question on how big a difference getting the B12 shot is compared to taking a daily supplement, whether it be a pill, logenze or liquid.  

I have no insurance and I'm wondering if my school's clinic would administer b12 shots, but if not i just wanted to see if i could get similiar effects from taking a supplement.

How is it the same? How is it different?  Does it work?  

TIA
There is a Vitamin B12 supplement that is equal to the shot; however you have to take one pill three times a day instead the shot once or twice a week.  The pills can be purchased at the weight loss clinic instead of buying the shots.
Where can you get the B12 pills that are the same as the injection?  I can't find any Doctors in my area that will give me the B12 injection.  I wanted to order online.
Just a littje info:
Oral vitamin B12 replacement is as effective as intramuscular injections. According to this web site @ American Family Physicans.org..  Go to web site below: Vitamin B12 Deficiency (American Family Physician March 1, 2003

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030301/979.html)

Vitamin B-12 is a water soluble vitamin which means if you take more than your body needs it will just be excreted in the urine.
It is may have side effects but it's very unlikely that anyone would experience an overdose. Keep in mind Vitamin B-12 injectable is only given by prescription in the United States.

SAFETY Toxicity...
No toxic or adverse effects have been associated with large intakes of vitamin B12 from food or supplements in healthy people. Doses as high as 1 mg (1000 mcg) daily by mouth or 1 mg monthly by intramuscular (IM) injection have been used to treat pernicious anemia, without significant side effects. When high doses of vitamin B12 are given orally only a small percentage can be absorbed, which may explain its low toxicity. Because of the low toxicity of vitamin B12, no tolerable upper intake level (UL) was set by the Food and Nutrition Board in 1998 when the RDA was revised. Per lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminB12/

There is a sub-linguinal form (under the tongue) you can buy it online www.sublingualb12.com   They claim is absorbed better than oral,that info I'm not sure of. Injectable Vitamin B-12 is usually only used for those who have problems with absorption & usually when the Dr. prefers that method of replacement. Also B-12 levels are monitored thru blood tests. I have been on Cyanocobalamin injectable 1000mcgs. twice weekly for 5 months for true vitamin B-12 deficiency & the truth is I have not lost a pound. I wished it was a wt.loss med...cause I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. A little too much holiday ho-ho-ho!!!  & then some.
A little more info...
Possible Side Effects of Injectable
CYANOCOBALAMIN (VITAMIN B-12) (Injection) (Injectable) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
Hives
Chest tightness or trouble breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
Mild pain or irritation where the shot is given
Diarrhea
Skin rash

I hope you found this helpful. Good Luck & God Bless!!!
You know, I have problems with alot of this "nurselpn" comments on this website. I dont know what your background is. But respectfully, I think you need to EXPERIENCE, rather than read off facts and figures that were made and printed by legal departments of differents companies. You are coming to a support message board with alot of different people reporting their personal EXPERIENCE and SUCCESS with either B12 alone or Dr. Kerendian's B12-mixture injection and you are telling us that this stuff does not work???????????????? that does not make any sense to me. You can show me all these mumbo jumbo words that you obviously copied from some book or internet site. I along with all the other people on this site who are happy with our injections obviously dont agree. I myself go to Delight Medical Center in Beverly Hills which is a center headed by Dr. Kerendian which alot of people here have had success with. Before i went to this bariatric physician, I had tried evrything that the books say, but they did not work. i also used to work with alot of people who were overweight. So my point is I have EXPERIENCED, I want to know what kind of experience you have?(nurselpn) and I also want to know why? why discourage everyone? Its working for them and me. so please stop the negativism. Besides, i was seen by a bariatric physician who especializes in weight management. He took the time to ask me about my life and previous weight struggle and he worked me up before he told me that this is what i need. so thats why I am so angry to read that someone who doesnt know me is trying to tell me that this stuff does not work. i am sorry if this email was to emotional.Anybody else agree with me?
So in conclusion, taking B12 vitamins work too?

I have excess fat in my stomach because I was extremely small when i got pregnant and no matter what i do, as far as exercising my stomach does not tighten up.  Will the B12 help me?
Hello everyone. I am not a usual forum responder but this has been a hot topic in PA as well.  I stumbled onto this b12 method in December of last year and started taking the shots via my weight loss physician in January.  I lost 13 pounds the first week and a half effortlessly with mounds of energy and no jitters or palpitations. the biggest downside for mw so far is the cost of 70 per visit.

I noticed after a month that without hte shot the weightloss would come to a halt and that is with me taking an appetite suppressant.

I have taken the trivita b12 which is suppose to be good but in comparison the shot worked same day allowing me energy and stamina I did not have prior or while using the little pink melt under your tongue b12 pills.

I have been working out hard all this month and see no results as I saw while taking the shots.  Needless to say, until I can find a nurse who will give me the shots minus the 70 per shot fee I have to go to my physician.  I know the difference when I dont have the b12 working on my behalf.  oddly enough you dont notice the full effects of your fatigue until youhave taken a b12 shot and slack off.  well, i hope this has been insightful for all those searching out info.

check out:www.physiciansweightcontrol.com
Why not ask your doctor for a prescription for b12 and give yourself the injection?  I came down with bells palsy over a week ago and read on the internet that b12 injections help with bells palsy and I asked my doc to write me the script and have been giving myself an injection a day for the past 5 days.  I paid $8.99 for the bottle of b12 and $8.99 for the needles.  I am not a nurse and still found it very easy to inject myself once I got over the fear.  Why pay so much money to these weight loss doc's when your regular doctor can give you a script and you can do it yourself??
Many OB/GYN offer b12 shots to their patients, especially new moms. They show great success in an overall well being in their patients, as well as, "post baby" weight loss assistance.
On a personal note, I know and feel the difference right away - especially if have the flu, (because those flu shots just seem to be a hit and miss with me) so I count on the b12 injection to get me through that day.

Do you think the pill is just as good as the shot. I am having a real hard time finding a clinic to administer the shot. Anyone know of a Dr. in central FL Lakeland/Winter Haven that does it? So I was going to try the pill first, do you get it at CVS or walgreens or is it only at the Dr.'s advisement...?
I don't have any problems at all with nurselpn giving us some sensible advice.  Any meds on the market have to go through a certain amount of testing before being released to the public.  It isn't a foolproof method, but it certainly does increase our chances of getting the real facts.  And facts are a necessary part of discovering what works and what doesn't.  

I just bought the B12 pills 1000mcg. How much and how often should I take them if I want the same effect as having the shot administered?
I also live in the Winter Haven /Lakeland area and have found a Dr. that I will be visting tomorrow who gives the shots will let you know how the visit works out.
I wasnt aware that your doctor can give you a perscription for vitamin B12 and you can inject it yourself...I will have to check with my doctor to see if she does this as well...
What is the normal dose for a B12 shot?
Hi Amazing717 and all-

I agree that giving yourself a b12 shot (or b12 with lipotropics shot) is the most economical way to do it.

I was having a hard time affording going to a doctor for the shots and I found a site that had a short report that explains how to have the b12 (or b12 and lipotropics) sent directly to your home from a legitimate U.S. physician [NO doctor visit required]

The report also explained step by step how to give yourself a shot. It was easy to follow and it really helped me.

For me the b12 and lipotropics have really helped me get the weight off. I don't fully understand how it works - I just know it does. And I do feel more energy too which helps me get my exercise in each day.

If this might help you...you can find the information about the report on how to give yourself a shot at    http://www.lipotropicsinjections.info
Anyone know where in the Harrisburg PA area I can get b-12 shots for weight loss. my friend in Ok goes to a weight loss Dr and it works great for her. my Dr will not give them
I have taken the b12 shot and also have tried the b12 pills. I took the shot because i was encouraged by a doctor who said i had low b12 levels. I thought it was screwy medicine and didn't expect to feel better. Well, I was very wrong. I had tons of energy all day and felt "normal" again. I felt like i did when i was younger and healthy. It was like a miracle. I am lucky enough to have a Dr. who only charges 25/shot. I went to the vitamin about 2 weeks after starting the shots and bought the same type of b12 (methylcobalamin) as my Dr. injected. I found 5mg sublingual tablets. I took 2 or 3 of these. I felt the same energy boost that I did with the shot and it was immediate.
I noticed that I slept better and felt more like myself. I feel great now.

However, while I have read that b12 is not toxic in high doses I came across the following site this evening:http://www.veganforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-169.html which makes me think its unwise to take large doses(3/1000 of a mg is the RDA -> I was taking 2 or 3 pills (10 -15 mg) or 3000 to 4500 times as much as I was supposed to take). I certainly will stop doing these high doses.
ON FRIDAY WAS MY FRIST TIME TAKEING THE SHOT, WHEN I WAS WEIGH IN I WAS AT 195LBS, ON THE DOCTOR SCALE, BUT YOU KNOW THAT YOU HAVE ON ALL THAT CLOTHES ON YOUR BODY YOU ARE NOT GETTINGTHE CORRECT WEIGHT, TODAY IS MONDAY AN I WENT ON MY HOME SCALE AN I AM 185LBS . IF THAT IS TRUE I AM SO HAPPY. I WILL BE GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR IN 2 WEEKS LETS SEE WHAT MY WEIGHT THEN. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE. IT WORKS.
I went to a weight doctor on January 8, 2007, for  a B-12 shot.  I went back to him on January 20, 2007 for a second shot.  He weighed me in and I lost 8 pounds when the two weeks.  My primary physician would not give me the B-12 shot until I came in for blood work.  The cost for this doctor was $40 for the shots.   I too don't know how it work with the weight loss but it working for me.
Are you only receiving B12 shots and not dieting?
I've taken the B12 pills, B12 Liquid Sublingual, and the B12 Injections... and by far the B12 Injections are superior as far as my personal experience in my own body.  My husband is a Basketball referee and uses the B12 shots which help tremendously in his on-court recovery.
As far as weight loss, the B12 does give many people more energy.  The B12 + B6 is supposed to be a more sustained energy level, which I also found to be true.  Both were in the injectable form.  And yes, you do have to have a prescription for them, so by doing a google search for B12 Injections,  B6,B12 Lipotropics Injections or B Complex Injections you should come up with some good online Doctors that carry what you need.
The B12 shots DEFINITELY works!!!!!!!!  I went to my Dr. weighing 239 pounds and I loss 59 pounds in 4-5 months.  My goal weight of 180 pounds sure looked GREAT on me!!!  I have to admit; I did monitor my eating habits, detoxed my system and ate lots of fiber (Raisin Bran Cereal) with very little to NO exercise.  IT WORKS but you must be committed and diligent in trying to monitoring your eating habits.  If you're skeptical, don't be you have nothing to loss except weight.  Oh yeah, I didn't take the appetite suppressants, although they're helpful if you don't have self-control over not eating EVERYTHING that's in front of you, I personally did want continue with the pills.
You must have the intrinsic factor in order to absorb B12 orally. With little to no intrinsic factor present in your system you might as well flush the oral tablets down the toilet. Talk to your MD before starting oral B12.
I will be getting blood work done on Tuesday. I will soon decide whether or not i am going to start the shots. I want to now when you stop taking the shots. Do you gain twice as much weight if you have a relapse. I fear if I loose the weight and get dependent on the shots I will gain twice as much weight.
I tried the b12 shots for a month and I didn't get any bust of energy.  I had the opposite reaction to the shot.  I just wanted to sleep all the time.  Is there something wrong with me? or was the shot not strong enough?
I went to a clinic to start B12/B6 injection treatments for the purpose of weight loss today. I have been afraid of needle all my life but thought I had mustard up enough courage to start the programme focusing on the possitive proven results..... But I was wrong, I couldnt do it and realize I wont be able to do it.... If I take the B12 and B6 oraly will I still get the same results? How much should I take? I was intructed to come in a minamum of 3 times a week for the shots... Any Help/advise is appreciated
Great weight loss clinic in Houston. They offer B12 and Lipotropic or fat burner shots as well as appetite suppressant. The average lost is 10-15lbs a month. $15 per shot and $55 for doctor visit.
Great clinic and staff check it out if you are serious losing weight. I have lost 45 lbs in 10 weeks dropped from size18 to size 6 now. I started the program last Jun and took the phentermine for 10 weeks the doctor took me off the medicine after I reached my goal and since Aug of last year I have been able to keep my weight with the help of B12 and Lipotropic injections and of course watching my eating and exercising 30 min 3 times a week. B12 is to increase the metabolism and not necessarily to increase the energy level. I sleep well lots of energy and the great thing about the lipotropic which are only amino acids I have no more seasonal allergy. I am glad I did it feel good and look great. I hope it helps

Marshall Back and Body Wellness Center
713-522-1726
marshallbackandbody.com
I have lost 35 lbs. in 4 months and could not drop 1 lb. in the past 2 years with constant dieting, exercise, gym and vitamins.  I have been going to a weightloss dr. and yes, I get a B12, B6 and fat burner/lipotropic (Choline/Inositol/Methionine) shot weekly (also if they add L-Carnitine and Myoden to your shots, both boost metabolism and fat burning as well) and no, oral B-12 and oral B-6 supplements do not work as well but do help daily between shots to keep the levels up so your metabolism keeps going.  I have tried it all and know exactly what works now.  First, ask the doctor exactly what is in his shot or shots and make sure you are getting not just B-12 and also, appetite suppressants like Phentermine (generic: Adipex) 37.5 (not 30 mg or 15 mg) and Phendimetrazine help with appetite but also increase metabolism and with the combo of these daily and shots at least once a week, you will lose weight but shots are better twice a week as the effects wear off in 2 to 3 days and you will stop losing weight so I now buy my own shots online much cheaper and take care of this myself.  Some parts of the country have very reasonably priced drs. that I would go to but other areas charge an arm and a leg and research is warranted to get a reasonably priced good dr. to ensure you spend your car payment on this or your nerves will be shot and you will eat and gain weight because you spent too much money on trying to lose weight to proceed with your good common sense and if you cannot take shots period, then don't, order sublingual b-12 and b-6 or they also have instant melting dots of b-12, b-6 and pills that have the fat burner ingredients Choline/Inositol/Methionine which are Maximum Lipotropics pills found on the internet at various sites and also don't forget the L-Carnitine and Myoden which you can also buy pills of these as well.  Lastly, I ate bariatric food for the first 4 months to lose my 35 lbs. which can be found and ordered on the internet and had 1000 calories a day of bariatric shakes, bars and food along with took a Citrin Plus Carb Blocker 3 times a day before meals and take metamucil 3 times a day to help keep movement in your system and fiber cleans out your system and I took Daily Best Vitamins to keep up energy and it all worked well so good luck everybody.
Just to add, meant to say up above obviously that you should make sure that you do NOT spend your car payment on this.  Also, make sure you eat 15 grams of protein per meal which is why bariatric food works well with low calories and low carbs to get 15 grams in 5 little meals per day as if your body goes 5 hours without eating, it begins to store food in your mid-section as it thinks you are going into a starvation mode so you must eat every 5 hours and no less than 500 calories a day for health reasons.  Carbs come from bread, rice, pasta, etc. so when you do eat real food, eat mostly meat first like 8 oz. of fish, or 6 oz. of white chicken or lean ham/pork or 4 oz. of lean red meat (red meat only once a week) along with 1 cup of green veggies or salad (potatoes and corn have lots of starch/carbs so don't eat that with bread) and 1 piece of whole grain bread (barilla pasta is whole grain if you choose a pasta dish) and always count your sauce and dressings.
Hi Girls... (and guys),

I just bought the vitamin B-12 1000 mcg from trader joes so we'll see. I need to lose 20 Lbs. to get back to my normal healthy wait so before I concider the B-12 shot I will try the supplements.

BY THE WAY, I have a friend who goes to "Lindora" . They give her the B-12 shot, a strict diet and exercize plan, and she has dropped 45 Lbs. in 5 months. Maybe try Lindora... Just a suggestion. I will comment again in 1 month if i notice the supplements working. Good luck to you all and Happy Holidays.
The secret to being a healthy weight: Burn more calories than you consume... pretty simple math. The easy way out won't last forever and I bet 90% gain the weight back they lost because they haven't learned a thing or made a real life style change. Think about it....
I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF GOOD STUFF ABOUT THIS B12 SO I FOUND A CLINIC IN SACRAMENTO CA AND THE SHOT FOR THE 1ST TIME IS 30.00 THEN ANYTIME AFTER IT IS 10.00 I WAS VERY PUMPED UP AND EXCITED I WEIGHED 208 POUNDS AFTER THE SHOT I DIDNT FILL ANYTHING ANY DIFFERENTS NO BURNING FILLING OR ANYTHING AT ALL NO EXTRA ENERGY NOTHING ZERO THAN I WAS STILL EXCITED WENT HOME A WEEK LATER I WEIGHED MYSELF AND GAINED 3 POUNDS I COULDNT BELIEVE IT IM THINKING THAT PLACE DID NOT GIVE ME THE RIGHT MED IT COULD OF BEEN DELUTIED OR SOMETHING IM GOING TO TRY THE B12 STRIP DESOLVER IT IS 5000 M HOPEFULLY THAT WILL WORK IM SO UPSET ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I ALWAYS HERE THESE GOOD THINGS AND NOTHING FOR ME...........NOTHING ITS HOPELESS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY FELT A STING OR ANYTHING BESIDES ENERGY AFTER THE SHOT OR SHOULD I SAY DURING BECAUSE FOR ME IT WAS LIKE I NEVER GOT IT
I have an apt with my GYNO Friday to talk about getting on the treatment plan of once a week injections, and in the meantime, I have been trying to find any and all info I can on the subject before hand. I read somewhere that the B12 injection is extremely painful. Is that so? Is it worse than any other intramuscular injection?
Does anyone know where in Pa preferably Harrisburg, I can get the B12 shots!!!!! Or pills if last resort.. Thanks a milllion
I am trying 2500 mcg vitamin B for fibromyalgia and I think it is really helping the energy loss and ehaustion problem.  Right now I am only taking one pill a day (which equals 250ml) and I am wondering if I should take more a day or if there is larger doses.
Kateannie
Hi..I live in Harrisburg,Pa did you ever find the name of a doctor here that provides both the b12/b6 imjections

Did you ever receive a response for a physician in Harrisburg PA that has this diet program?

Thank you.

Please email me at ***@****.

Thank you so much.
No, I dont agee with you. I am also a nurse and b12 is for vitamin deficiency, anemia and fatique. They use it  a lot with alcoholics who are detoxing too. nurselpn was answering a question of whether orals work as good as injectables. bigsharon, are you taking appetite suppressants also? Your response was a little aggressive, I think. Especially since the info that nurselpn provided is very correct.
MAYBE INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR A "BAND AID" SOLUTION TO YOUR WEIGHT ISSUES, YOU SHOULD INSTEAD EDUCATE YOURSELF ON WHAT REAL FOOD IS AND HOW TO LIVE A NUTRITIONAL LIFESTYLE. THE INTERNET IS A POWERFUL TOOL BOTH FOR THE EVIL CRAP YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM AND THE REAL TRUTH THAT YOU SHOULD BE ASPIRING TO LEARN. I EAT 3000-5000 CALORIES A DAY, DO LITTLE EXERCISE BUT AM LEAN WITH VERY LITTLE BODY FAT. IT'S CALLED PROPER EATING!!! CHECK IT OUT: 80-10-10 EATING, DR. DOUG GRAHAM, LOW FAT HIGH CARB RAW VEGAN, 30 BANANAS A DAY, RAWFITBITCH, ALL THESE PLACES WILL SHOW YOU THE LIGHT!!!
please post if you try  the B12  and it works, my fat, isnt  so much from baby fat, but from several, and then the inability to move  as much, i would really like to know,. i have had several  B12 shots, i havent lost , much weight, but i do have the energy to move about more, which i hadnt had in a long while, , i was always tired, with the shots, and  a veggie diet, i have  only lost 13 lbs, . havent gotten pass that, . i would really like to know if i could take oral B12's as appose to the shots, thank you for posting

Ive been receiving B12 shots for 16 years. I have never felt any pain, maybe a quick prick. Also, in the last 10 years, gained 25 lbs.