Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Coffee and bowel movements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Coffee and bowel movements

I didn't know what topic area this should go under so please forgive me.
I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Everytime I drink coffee my bowels move and my urine smells like coffee. Is this normal? Does anyone know why this happens.

Thanks,
Babygotback

Avatar n tn
Yes, it is normal. Coffee has compounds that increase motility in the stomach and can cause some irritation in the lining of the stomach, either causing diarrhea or increasing  bowel movements.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the info. I think I will cut coffee out of my diet. I tried decaf but it still makes me a little edgy. The extra bowel movements are no fun either.

Thanks again,

Babygotback
Avatar n tn
I have been having this same problem, but I take the b12/myoden shot with the phen pills. Does anyone know if this is normal? This happens at different times of the day with a lot of gas with it. I am sorry to be so graphic.
Avatar n tn
Foldgers just came out with a nice coffee that's easy on your stomach.  Couldn't hurt right?
-Kaitlin
I don't believe there is anything wrong with you if this is happening... coffee contains a high level of antioxidants which cleans out your system... I'm no doctor but when that same thing happens to me I attribute it to the antioxidants cleaning out my system.  Before you give up coffee you should ask a doctor about it... it could be completely normal.  A controlled amount of coffee is actually healthy for you.

http://www.physorg.com/news6067.html
This website is pretty helpful... maybe its will answer your questions:

http://pnwf.org/CoffeeEdited041001.pdf
Track your weight over time