Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Day 1- 1st visit to the bariatric clinic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Well this morning I had my first visit to the weight loss clinic. I had started taking Adipex 37.5 mg. On Sunday (these were some i had already) I was weighing 190.8lbs, when I went to the clinic this morning I was 183.4lbs.  I believe alot of that weight was water, b/c I stayed in the bathroom on monday.  Anyhow, my plans are to come back here after each of my visits and post my results, and how I felt.  For instance, today I got the B12 shot, energy, I did not get. As a matter of fact I have had a very bad headache today, that nothing has been able to relieve.  I am tired, and it is only 9:30pm and I am ready to turn in.  I am hoping that tomorrow will be better.  I will start the pills that the doctor gave me tomorrow (fastin 30mg), and my follow up appointment is on the 8th of March.  I will continue to come back here to give updates.  My goal it to get down to 150, wish me luck!!
thanks karibrit01 for the support, and best wishes when you start, I hope you will keep me up to date on your progress!  

Day 2- Last night I could not get into a deep sleep. So far today, I have felt fine.  I just took my first pill at 1:30 today.  Still had some remenets from the Adipex in my system because I only had a cup of coffee this morning, I wasn't hungry, and I don't really desire anything to eat.  I knew I had to eat but for once, I just didn't know what to eat, I don't have a taste for anything.  I hope that this fastin works just as good.  The Headache went away, it think it was more so I haddn't had anything to eat all day but a bananna, and a small can of grapefruit juice for breakfast, and a bag of popcorn for lunch.  I did have a craving for something sweet though late late in the night.  Thank goodness, i had thrown all of the goodies away.  

Today I feel better than yesterday, Still no major burst of energy, I just feel regular.

I am trying to stay off of the scale, I think I need to put it out of the bathroom!!!!
It is the Bariatric Clinic, 336-227-0587.  I don't think they give the HCG shots though. The doctor was really nice and informative.  I know this will work, however i was wondering about the HCG shots myself, it is to my understanding that these shots do more contouring of the body.  What have you discovered about these shots?
Hi, I live in Graham also. I just went to Huntersville this past Monday.I haven't noticed any energy yet. I'm not eating as much. I've spent so much money on other diets that haven't worked for me or maybe I didn't work for it.  But this time I'm trying to follow the menu plan, the excercise is where I really lose it.  That's something I hate to do.  But I've got to do it.  I want to be 50 lbs. less by this summer. I know I can do it, but it would be nice if the family would help with the cooking.
Good luck on your weight lost.
Day 3-  I am writing this midday (4:00 est)

I just have not felt the energy boost yet!  If anything i am feeling more tired, it seems like all I can think about is going home and climbing under my covers and SLEEP.  I will deffinately have to ask my doctor about this one.  Ask for appetite, well it has been suppressed lightly, not as well as the adipex was doing, it is more like I don't care about eating.  I become really puzzled when people as me what do I want to eat for lunch, i really don't care.  All of that is fine and good, however my husband and son are getting tired of the bolonga sandwiches and applesauce.  (they are having this because I don't know what to or care to cook)  I haven't noticed any weight lost yet, I will keep you all updated!  

Thanks for leaving your comments!!
Hi Sissy, what type of pills did your doctor give you with your shot?
It's called Phendimetrazine 35 mg 2 times a day.  Helps cut the hunger.  But with this program you count everything and that's driving me crazy. I'm the type of person just give me a list and an amount(size) I'm to eat.  I hate counting but I'm going to make this work.  A friend of mine in Greensboro lost 45 lbs through the bariatric clinic in Greensboro.  Her first few days she only wanted to sleep.  She was told her body needed time to adjust to everything.  After about a week her mind was working again. Check with the Bariatric clinic about a cookbook they have.  I know my friend bought one.  Her whole family eats what she eats.  She said she couldn't cook 3-4 different meals.  I don't have that problem I have 2 teenage girls who fix their own meals during the week.  Sunday is our family day, then I cook all day.
Good luck on your weight lost. I'm cheering you on.
Day6- Well...I was bad this weekend so i didn't want to update you all on that.  Saturday, I took my meds, however I still found the desire to eat,very well, almost like normal.  I weighed myself, I have managed to lose 1 lb in the last 6 days, however I feel it could have been more.  I really don't think that the meds I am on is working for me.  When I go back to the doctor, I am going to request that he put me on adipex, that worked really well at surpressing my appeite.  I am adding walking to my excerise today.  My goal is to lose 30lbs I would like to weigh 155.

Hey chunkymonkey- good luck on that weight loss before summer- boy i would love to get down to 155 (well, if i am going to lose at all, might as well go all the way- i would really like to lose down to 145...i currently am about 226 or so) isn't that awful? i just stand in front of my closet and think "which of these same old same old clothes will i be able to fit my big self into today?"  but i am going to get out of the habit of thinking that- i keep checking in here to help myself get in a better mind set- i have managed to get up and start exercising in the morning- one of the girls left me a comment to do that about thirty minutes before everyone else gets up in the house- so i am going to try this and see how it goes...

i saw that one of the girls in here says that she has a lot of premade meals in her freezer- i think i will buy a few of those next time i go grocery shopping...and i have a comment for her and you (in case you decide to too) please be careful with those south beach diet foods...some are VERY HIGH in sodium!  that is the last thing girls like us need to do- fix one problem while creating another one!

good luck to you all!!! and congratulations on the commitments and progress you've made and stuck to so far!
Question- Is B-12 suppose to stimulate the tyroid gland, ie speed up your metabolism?  Also if you respond to this can you tell me if this is something you heard or medically proven.  Either way I would like to hear what you guys know about it.
Thanks Melitys!  The support of everyone here has been great!  It is nice to say things and know that other people are intrested in hearing what i have to say.

Day6- Well today, instead of taking the Fastin pill the doctor gave me, I took one of the Adipex that I had left.  This once again proved to be the better product for me.  I have also noticed that it increases the frenqucy of my visits to the rest room.  Just when I was starting to believe that the program wasn't really working for me, I weighed myself again today and I was 179.2! and that is after having fried chicken for dinner! (1 leg) If this is correct then I have lost...4lbs since last week! I am almost back to the size I was when i first started thinking I needed to loose about 20lbs.  I got a phone call today from one of my girlfriends who is also overweight.  We have done alot of weight loss programs together. The funny part to me is that when I started trying to lose weight, that is when I began to gain...lol.  Anyhow when I told this friend of mine what it was that I was going to do, she was like that's a little extreme, blah, blah, blah.  You know the whole it's a lifestyle change, you'll gain it back when you get off meds speech.  Anyhow, I determined what was best for me and would help me with my happiness.  So I got the shot, well her phone call tonite was about being discouraged with weight loss, how she was doing everything but the weight just wasn't comming off and she wanted to know more about the B12 injections and the pills.  I didn't get to go into it with her.  But I think she may be trying it soon.  

Well I will go now, thank you all again for your support, i really appreciate it!!  Best Wishes on your weight loss!!
I personally know a few people that do the B-12 shots. They say it just gives you energy. Well, that would help motivate me to get off my big ace & get going if I had the energy. There is a larger lady that I work with that told me today that if I'm losing weight (which is VERY slowly) that I shouldn't spend the money. She is a very negative person all of the time when it comes to that kind of stuff. I'm going to a weight loss clinic next Friday (3/17) to start whatever they will give me! I want to lose 30-40 pounds by the end of June. One girl I know has lost about 35 pounds since she started a few months ago.
Hello All!!!I live in VA and our B-12 Diet plan regimen is a little different.  We do get the B-12 shot weekly, but we also are given a diuretic (Maxzide) along with the Fastin.  I must say this is the third time I have been on this diet.  Only because I think they should mention that this diet causes women to become very fertile and I became pregnant each time I went on the diet.  I always lost anywhere between 35 and 45 pounds while on the diet.  Now that I have a tubal ligation I don't have to worry about it anymore.  I just restarted the diet on Feb 15th and to date I have lost about 12.5 pounds.  My starting weight was 177.5.  My goal weight is 138.  I have read alot of the comments about the energy factor and the B-12 shot.  I seem to get a lot of my energy just by taking the Fastin. That pill is like exercise in a bottle.  It makes me want to clean the whole house or work a little harder at my job.  The key to this diet is to exercise and eat three meals a day.  I mostly eat a lot of protein and no carbs.  I do a lot of power walking. Any questions feel free to ask.  I wish everyone a lot of luck!!!
I go tomorrow to start my shots & diet. I have taken 30mg Phentermine (Fastin) before & I will ask for that. Some people I know are taking 37.5mg. The 30mg does just fine for me. I just want to know what part of the program makes you "very fertile"? I will be going weekly to get the shots also. My start weight (according to my boss' scales) is 180. My goal is around 145-150. If I can lose more than that without looking sick, I would love to be down around 140 again! ;-)
When I was at the clinic and sharing my story, three other women there also had gotten pregnant while on the diet, and I know two of my friends also got pregnant.  The doctor there could not give me a sound reason why this would occur, not in less the meds they give us some how cancel out the birth control some people were on, I really don't know.
  I am also only taking 30mg of the Fastin, anymore and I would be a bundle of nerves, I think the water pill they give me also helped me out a lot.  But that is how they do it here in Virginia. Good Luck to you, I have been losing a avg. of 3lbs a week so hopefully I won't have to much further to go.
  How much are the B-12 shots for you guys?  I pay $25 a week here.
Well I am glad someone came up with a answer to the "fertility" question.  I have definitely taken precautions not to have anymore children.  
I check in today to see how much weight I have lost.  Hope everyone else is doing great!!!
Well, I had my 1st visit today. I have lost 5 1/2 pounds since the 8th on my own. I'm going to try the shots for a couple of weeks & see what happens. They gave me enough water pills to last a couple of months. She told us to cut them in 1/2 & take every other day. I also got 14 day supply of Bontril. I've been taking 30mg Phentermine for a few days now. They only prescribed Adipex which is 37.5mg. I don't know how I'd like that. I'm wired enough with the 30's.
She made it a point to tell us numerous times that this shot makes us very fertile. The shot they give is hCG w/ a little B12. Don't know, guess we'll see! I have about 30 lbs to go.
I figured $20/week for the shot, another $10 for a 2 week supply of Bontril-that's $100/month. I can order 30mg Phentermine on-line for about $150/90 pills. That's 3 months.
Like I said, I'm going to try the shots for a couple of weeks & then see if I want to keep getting them. So far today they haven't given me any extra energy. I actually feel really tired right about now & it's only 4. I haven't taken any appetite suppresant today, but I'm not hungry. I think that is where the energy is coming from!!
I am thinking about going to a Bariatic Clinic here in Asheville,NC. I have been there before and lost a lot of weight in 1996. How much has it changed? I have since then had to go on blood pressure meds and other meds. Will it work with meds?
Does anyone know where I can get the HCJ injections in or near milwaukee, wisconsin. I am 5'2 and weight 205 lbs. I want to lose weight I just don't know where to start. I've taken phentermine before it's an appetitie suppresant I got from my Dr. 6 years ago when I was 15 lbs. overweight. I went through a divorce and gained like 50 lbs. I am trying to get it off.
Hello! Just a quick update.  I have lost 23.5 pounds so far and I still have 20 or so more to go.  Eating the three meals a day really helped me out a lot, even though I have to force myself to eat something.  Even if it is just a apple.  Hope everyone is still losing as well.
Rozzie,
I understand you are in Va.  Where are you going to get such phenomenal results.  I am located in Va Beach and need to loose about 40 lbs.
Hello...they actually have a Southampton Diet Clinic in Va Beach...you have to call the number to set up a appt. and find out exactly where that one is located...757-723-0252

I go to the one in Hampton...They are very helpful at the clinic and will answer any questions you may have about the diet.
Thank you all for the comments concerning the B12 shots. I was interested in getting but didn't know where to start. You all have enkightened me on the positive as well as the negative about the shot. I am looking forward to checking it out.
Hello, everyone!  I started the diet clinic on April 6 at the Va. Beach location.  My first weigh in was 162.5.  When I got my first B12 shot I had a headache; I called the clinic back and the nurse said that was one of the side effects.  

On April 14th I returned to the clinic and weighed in at 159 w/o the pills.

please, cheer for me!!!!!!!
Hello Everyone.  I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to post a comment.  I started Bariatric Medical on February 10, 2006 and my weight then was 311 lbs.  My last weigh in was on March 24, 2006 and I weighed in at 279 lbs.  That was a total weight loss of 32 lbs.  I feel so much better and I can really see the differenve.  The weight loss helps to keep me motivated.  I have joined the gym.  It has been a little over a month since I joined.  I go to the gym Monday thru Thursday for 50 minutes each time.  I was just in the paper for one of our local facilities here.  I go back to the doctor today at 3 PM for my next weigh in.  My next weeks time will increase to 1 hour at the gym as I will be adding another phase to my exercising program.  It is hard, that is no doubt to just quite eating all of the things that you are used to eating.  My husband and I used to eat out just about every night and I used to eat breakfast and lunch out everyday at work.  I went from that to eating fruits and sometimes cottage cheese for breakfast, occasionally a boiled egg, maybe twice a week.  For lunch, I would usually take what we ate for dinner the night before... I eat baked meats, fresh veggies, drink plenty of water and 2 cups of Crystal Light a day.  No sweets, no fried foods, no sodas.  There were nights that I woke up crying, because it was hard, but as time goes by and I see the results and I feel better, its all worth it.  My blood pressure had gotten as high as 190/141 and now it has been steady at 120/70.  My exercise routine includes 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the treadmill, and 10 minutes on the ellipitical machine which really kicks my butt. I am starting 10 minutes on the stairmaster next week.  It isn't easy, butI tell anyone who is trying it...Stay with it yal, and reward yourself as you loose with maybe a new outfit, a pedicure, manicure, or something and the weeks fly by.  Make it fun and be creative with your meals and make it a life style change instead of looking at it as a diet.  I'll keep everyone posted on my loss this go around when I return to the forum on Monday.  Best wishes to all of you...Hang in there, and DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Ok I went to my appt. on Friday, April 21, and I am at 265 now.  That is about 14 lbs lost last month and that is an avg. of 3.5 lbs a week.  I am really excited about the weight loss.  My goal this week is to be at 263 and by my bext weigh in which is May 19, 2006 253 lbs.  I'll keep you all posted.  Good luck to everyone.
Keep up the good work everyone.  I am now 146lbs.  Finally fitting my size 8 jeans again.  I am now incorporating the GI Diet into my regimen and it is working pretty good for me.  I am able to eat certain whole grain carbs again and the weight is still coming off, between 1-2 lbs a week.  Everyone keep up the good work it will pay off in the end.
I'm just thinking about starting and I saw this column.  Sounds like you all are doing very well, despite the difficult days.

I'm not even sure what clinics are here, but I have tried exercise, running, exercise boot camp, and anything else you can name.  I lost 10lbs in 10 weeks of exercise boot camp, while dieting, no sugar, no read meat, no added salt, and I am very disappointed.
hi I live in Apex NC. What would I look under to find a doctor to start this program..
I mentioned B-12 injections to my doctor for weight loss he thought I was crazy. I will try anything to help me get pregnant. 10 yrs and still trying..
Hello All,
I started taking Adipex 37.5 in June, weighed 225. I have been back to the doc. every month . In Nov. I weighed 180. The only real diet , i went by , was No soft drinks, eat your meat first and make meat 50% of your meal, then eat your veges, then your fruit, and make your fruit be in place of your dessert. That away no BIG pieces of cake...lol.....I do splurge every once in a while.... but while the mirror doesnt lie,,, I feel so good about my self now...... I have went down from a 18 in jean to a 12....... Please , anyone who does this, eat.... you have to eat to be healthy...... and it takes time... everyone is different... so everyone will progress differently, just live day by day , and be happy , love yourself, and it will come........
I am trying to lose weight and thinking about going to the Barrriatric Clinic for help. I see several people have lost weight while taking Adipex and I need to know where can I get those. Can I order them or does  the barriatric clinic provide them?
hello i have just started the diet also its been 3 weeks on the fastin 30 mg and i lost 13 pounds i think thats great and i encourage everyone to keep up the good work i also get the b-12 shot but we only get it once a month and a 30 day perscription for 65 dollars it really gives me alot of energy but i think its the diet pill that gives alot of energy but about the getting pregnant part that would be awsome for me i have an 8 year old and i pray so hard for another baby so hey maybe if i get some weight off i will get pregnant well good luck to all
Does anybody know where I can get  the shots in milwaukee wisconsin  ,I started a diet two weeks and a half ago and i went from 217 lb to 204, just dieting and exercise three times a week , but I would like to try the shot .
please if anybody knows please let me know
My first appt is April 14th....all of these comments are wonderful!  

Is anyone taking ant-depressants?  Have you heard any comments good or bad about taking these meds together?

Has anyone been told a brand name of birth control that DOES NOT work?  I am 44 and single with a 14 year old boy and I certainly do not want more children!!  
where can i get it online??
I have been going to the Bariatric Clinic in Greenville SC for about a month or so. I have lost some weight, and that's great but I think I can do this on my own. The meds he has me on are diethylprop and trazodone which curbs carb cravings (is actually an antidepressant).I also get a B-12 shot once a month (which does nothing for me) I have had to keep my calories under 1200, fat under 20grams and sodium under 1200. Do y'all have these same restrictions? I think that after this time my stomach reduced its size, I cannot eat as much as I could before (which is great) But I'm concerned about parts of the program. There are no "good fats" in the program. It replaces all fats with either nothing or artificial fats. And replaces sugar with artificial sweeteners. Your body needs fats and everything else I have read suggest eating "good fats" . These would include olive oil, peanut butter, etc. I may not go back. I don't get a lot of support there. It is costing me a lot of money and I could do most of this on my own.....anyone else with similar experience?
can someone please tell me about the costs of this program and about how much you have to pay per month or so? i am interested but i cannot figure out if i will be able to afford it..
How much does it cost to go to the Bariatric Clinic?  Is there a payment plan?  
I have my FIRST appointment today at 2:00pm!! I want the shot, the pills, the patch, anything to get this fat off of me!!! LOL  I am currently 200lbs and my goal weight is 140lbs! yall cross your fingers for me!