Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Dieting and Exercising but GAINING WEIGHT :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

I am 23 years old am 5'8" and am extremely over weight(273 LBS.) For teh past 2 months a friend and I have been dieting and working out 5 days a week. we are doing 30 minutes on the elyptical machine and the we do differnt kinds of weights for about 30 minutes and we are both gaining weight. I have gained 11 lbs and I am extremely frustrated. I feel better and I have so much more energy but my clothes are getting tighter and I am gaining weight and I just don't understand what the problem is. I eat as healthy as possible I have to wathc what I eat anyway because I am still breastfeeding my 4 month old. I have had 2 c- sections so i can understand why I am not seeing a big difference in my belly yet but why cant I see any changes anywhere?? URGHH..  My friend is having teh same problem except she has only gaines 3 lbs but still I dont think we should be gaining weight at all. Anyone know whats going on with us.. HELP! PLEASE!
Thanks in advance!
How many calories or you eating per day?  I am told by my doctor no more than 1,000-2,000 calories per day.  I am also told not to do any resistance training. I am counting my calories by eating  Lean Crusine meals and eating protein.
Again, the calorie intake is important.Did you speak to your doctor about this?  

Also, when you lift weights you create muscle that weights more than fat.  So you shouldn't do any weight trainning until you have lost all the fat first, then you tone.  What you are doing is building muscle on top of the fat that you already have.  So do cardio for 30 - 1 hr (however much you can stand) and when you reach your desired weight then do muscle toning.  

Thank you so much for your advice. I started weight
watchers for breastfeeding moms and I also started to measure my body parts today. It is just so frusterating to be working so hard and to comit to something for so long and see no results, I am actually addicted to the exercise so I never think about giving up but I just get so depressed thinking about not seeing results. My friends husband is telling us to
switch to cardio and weights mon-wed-fri and then just do cardio and aerobics on tues and thursdays. because weights everyday isnt good... is this true? What would you suggest for our work out plan. right now we are doing cardio for 30 minutes and weights for 30 minutes both of them 5 days a week and we are both doing the weight watchers point system which really sucks cause its confusing.. I might switch to just a general
calorie counting.

live4fitness It's really awesome how much you have accomplished. I hope someday I can share the same kind of weightloss testimony. I have 3 children and I really want to be healthy and to be a good example to them on how you should take care of your body. I tried to email you but it bounced back twice.
  Thank you for your support,
  Sara
Determined101
I havent spoken with my doctor yet but I intend to as soon as  I can get an appointment. I have spoken with a nutritionist and she told me to keep doing what I am doing and not to give up.. That was a month ago and I still havent seen any results :(
While I don't completely agree with  omaritza7 they do have a point if your most frustrated about the muscle gain. Don't do any lifting until after your at your desired weight. However know this, that the more muscle you put on the more calories you burn per day naturally.

About your cardio, in the first 15-20 minutes (depending on your body) you are burning carbohydrates not fat. So if you are only working out for 30minutes you are only getting 10 minutes of burning fat. It is better to work out closer to an hour if you really want to burn off fat. Don't push so hard on the machine either, try to keep a steady heart rate, and take your time.

Also you'll need to switch up your routine constantly to keep yoru body challenged. If you are not challenging your body then you will stop losing weight. Use a different incline or add minutes. Since you are doing cariod for a 30 minutes, tomorrow move it up to 35 minutes and go up 5 minutes per day till you reach an hour. After that increase your incline little by little.

Watch what you drink. Everything, but water has calories in it!

Have your thyriod checked. They didn't catch mine until I was 18 years old and I'd put on alot of weight by then :(

Hope this helps.

Tiffany
Contrary to the belief of everyone else, I recommend to continue doing the weight training as well as cardio, switching up the days. Building muscle does increase weight however the more muscle that you have the more FAT and CALORIES that will be burned.
I started the P90X at the beginning of the month.  I got on the scale and I have gained 5 pounds.  I know this is muscle weight, but as I continue with the workout...will the weight come off...clothes are beginning to get looser...workout is hard but I love it
Oh, I just went through this. I am really obese too. Listen, one thing I figures out is you need to eat protein. 100g a day. I was eating 1800-2000 cals but that was just to much. I have dieted so many years I just ruined my metabolism. Get off the eliptical X trainer. ( you need more resistance)You need to really push yourself on the treadmill. Walk UPHILL for 45 - 60 min 6 days a week, you don't even start fat burn until AFTER 30 min really, more is not better.Don't do more than 60 min cardio.No kidding and do weight training. I know most women hate weight training but if you are that big you need to build muscle. Eat your protein right after you work out. Stay away from restaurants. Don't depend on them to weigh , measure food and be accurate. THEY DON'T. My son is working on his masters in nutrition. We have done several checks and I can tell you, don't trust them. Eat at home and mark everything down, measure everything and you will be really shocked.And I do mean EVERYTHING. Drink water, lots of it. Also need to do this with increased protein. In 2 months I lost 30#, 9" off my abdomen. But I hit a plateau. My son figured it out, I was not eating enough protein. Eat every 2-3 hours. 5/ 300 calorie mini meals.NO junk food. Even though it is in our calorie range. Stay away,it sets you up to deprive (oh, I will eat these chips and not eat lunch.) No, next thing you know your overeating at the next meal because you skipped a meal.
Keep in touch and good luck.
You have all collectively said the right things, however do not be discouraged if you are gaining weight.  Do a fat percentage test at the  beginning of the month and at the end.  As you work out, be it running or resistance training you will gain muscle, and as one said earlier muscle does weigh more than fat per volume.  You will lose weight your first month if it is the first time you ever picked up a weight or exercised in your life, but as time goes on you need to be more concerned with fat percentage.  And if you are putting on more fat, but are working out hard five days a week then you probably need to eat more calories.  Your body requires more energy for the new muscle you've created and if you're not compensating for it, it is just as bad as someone who is eating just one meal a day.  You're body will go into a catabolic state and anything you are eating will immediately be stored as fat.  Everyone's body is unique to itself and this where you'll have to keep track of fat percentage as you increase or decrease your calories.  It takes a couple of months to figure out where your body falls, but once you figure out the amount your body needs you will see dramatic fat loss.
I am 44 5/'3 and weight approx. 163 lbs.  I have dieted almost all my life and in the past 20 years have limited my calories substancially.  I used to could lose weight but now nothing works.  2 years ago I quit my job and started working out between 30min to 3 hours per day.  Cardio, weights, voga.  I have gone from 800 calorie liquid diets to at the most 1400 calories.  When I added 2 150 calorie smoothies to my 1200 calorie a day plan I gained 2 pounds a week totally 4 pounds.  I am now back on Body for Life diet along with addition exercise.  I do 90 min. of cardio about 4 times per week and weights about 30 to 45 min. 4 times per week.  I eat about 1400 calories and this month gained 2 pounds.  I feel like I have destroyed my metabolism and its hopeless.  I'm never hungry but I eat to increase my metabolism.  I'm afraid to go over the 1400 calories and afraid to do less exercise for fear of gaining more weight.  Please can someone tell me what I should be doing to lose weight and quit the gain.  I've been to 3 doctors and nothing seems to be wrong with my thyroid.
Did you check your THYROID???? you could be Hypothyroid!!! Yikes... I feel so sad for you suffering.... You should be able to eat 1500-1800 calories and still be in your weight range, maybe fluxuating 1-5lbs with water weight, food digesting.

Get your thyroid check!! Maybe take some digestive enzymes, and a good multivitamin.....

I would see a doctor ASAP. And worst comes to worst, go online and get some thyroid supplements to help you in the meanwhile. Vitaminshoppe has some, if you want to go locally. Amazon, Iherb, and many other online databases do, as well. I would totally go get your thyroid checked, because it is what controls the metabolism, making your body convert energy into food!! Wish you the best!
Yes, unfortunately I have had it checked several times and even gone to and endocrinologist who all say I am smack dab in the middle of the normal range (even though I am obviously perimenipausal).  My Internist did prescribe me .025 of Synthroid which I took for a month but it just made my hot flashes worse.  This is the month I gained 2 pounds.  I'm hoping if I continue to eat 5 small meals of 30 grams of proteing and complex carbs along with moderate cardio and regular weight training it will eventually start to work again.  I just wish I could find someone who had this problem and had a sure fire solution.  I appreciate your concern and your advice.
I just finished reading the last post on MedHelp and I was very impressed.  It is long, but fantastic information and help.

See related discussions: Eating right, Working out but NOT losing weight.

I have done Body for Life a few times, but at 8 weeks I get very disappointed and I quit because I lose size but no weight loss.  I just need to change my goals to over all health and be happy on the size loss and stop looking at the scale so often.  My goals are now 2" waist decrease then 4".  This post motivated me to start it up again, but increase the aerobics to 40 minutes. instead of 20 minutes. I know that I have to stay on a program longer than 8 weeks and maybe if I do keep it up longer,  my size will keep getting smaller and then the weight will begin to come off. Good luck.
I was researching the physical activity recommendations and for individuals with a BMI of 30 or greater, the suggestion is for 250 to 300 minutes of moderate intensity cardio exercise per week and a decrease of 1200 to 2000 caloric intake per week. They also encourage resistance training to develop muscle mass although it will not provide any clinically significant weight loss. Weight training helps develop muscle mass which expends energy more efficiently. Lifting weights on a daily basis is not advantages unless you develop a routine that uses different muscle groups, such as bicep, triceps, shoulders one day, then abs, quads, etc on a different day. A rotating routine or lifting every other day or two allows the muscle fibers to repair for building/modeling.

References:
US Department of Health and Human Services Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and the accompanying Advisory Committee Report (http://www.health.gov/PAGuidelines/Report/Default.aspx).

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:
February 2009 - Volume 41 - Issue 2 - pp 459-471
SPECIAL COMMUNICATIONS: Position Stand Appropriate Physical Activity Intervention Strategies for Weight Loss and Prevention of Weight Regain for Adults
DONNELLY, JOSEPH E. Ed.D (Chair); BLAIR, STEVEN N. PED; JAKICIC, JOHN M. Ph.D.; MANORE, MELINDA M. Ph.D., R.D.; RANKIN, JANET W. Ph.D.; SMITH, BRYAN K. Ph.D.
DO NOT LISTEN to the people who tell you to lose weight before you build muscle!  I cannot stress this enough!  True, muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle is also your body's fat burning engine.  if you build muscle, yes, you might notice a slight weight gain in the beginning, but in the long run, more muscle means you'll burn calories more easily as your body works to sustain that muscle.  Building muscle is one of the best ways to burn fat!

As for the amount of weight your gaining, muscle is not the culprit.  At most, when pumping iron, you should gain one to two pounds in a month (which you will more than compensate for by the amount of fat you burn)  talk to your doctor and set up a healthy diet plan.
I am 38 and have been working out like a mad woman and in the past month and a have gained 7 lbs went from 145 to 152 i don't know if i should stop working out. And no i am not pregnant. What should I do?
I'm sorry but omartinz is wrong. Weight training is key to weight lost. You will work 3 times as hard to lost if you don't train.  When The body gains muscle, it burns fat 24/7. You need to be getting your heart rate up. At least 160-170 you need to sweat doing cardio as well as training. By just doing cardio and strength at a very low heart rate (130-140) your not gonna lose. To need to push through to being uncomfortable and sweat. Took me a year to lose 60lbs. I was 222lbs and ended at 160lbs With 22.5% body fat. I was body building by the end. I got prego and gained back 50lbs. So now I'm in the same boat as you. I have been working out 5-6 hrs a week burning 800-1000 cals each session and eating 1200-1500 cals a day. I also have gained 8 lbs since I stopped bf at 8 weeks. I'm containing to exercise and eat well. I will push thru. I am also gong to get my thyroid tested, because all that I have been doing I should have lost albs nit gained. Keep it up. Up your intensity and you will see results. It's a slow and steady road. Good luck:)
I know how your feel.  we are the same height and weight however I am 57 years old. I have dieted since I gave birth to my first child 38 years ago - I have tried everything. My weight at the highest was 193.  I have ran 5 marathons, cant count how many 1/2 marathons, 5K and 10K's in the last 30 years. I am still working on the last 10 pounds.  I have been doing more strength training and love it but have gained 4 pounds - the scales are going the wrong way but I am sticking with it and cardio 6 days a week - we will see.  But concerning your thyroid your Doctor says your are normal for a women your age right?  why cant we be normal for a 30 year old? I have been taking bio-identical hormones for almost a year.  I no longer have hot flashes and I feel great!  find someone in your area who specializes in Bio-identical hormones. I found I dont have to feel 57!  Good Luck
I have been eating aprox 400 calories a day, the best food and very varied! i have been getting plenty of cardio and drinking water. I cannot lose weight even when i fast.please dont waste time by telling me that i dont eat enough because im pretty sure that emancipated ethiopians wouldnt be so impressed. I am prepared to do anything right now i just dont want to eat a thing i have finally tried to diet and do all the right things so that i can have children (im 28 and greatly obese) I have been doing this for 3 months at first i lost 4 pounds then i put eleven back on even though i didnt cheat once! i do weights but am already quite muscular. basically dont reply if you mention weights, resistance training, eating more or more frequently, protiens, ) I am so exhausted and snappy shall i just persist???!!!! PLATEAUS END DONT THEY????
Read all of your experiences and the view of losing weight....
Let me share my experience...
I m 32, female, 5'3, now is about 115 ~ 120lbs; 10 years ago, I was 181lbs.
I have been tested so many diet methods: diet pills, exercise, diet receipts, short-term fasting...etc. I had experienced lost 15lbs within 2 months but gained back in 3wks. I had tried 3 days fasting - no solid food in-take, only liquidy, lost 2lbs per day totally 6lbs, but gained bk 10lbs a wk after rtn to my daily eating.  I did calories control with everyday 40mins ~ 1hr exercise - this method just being tested recently - no weights lose at all!!  
My suggestion to all ~
Thru my hundreds test results, Lose Weight = can't Rush!!
Healthy Food = Must do it.
Exercise = Yes, but can't overdo it and no intensity exercises. Choosing soft and aerobic exercise is the better for aiming weight lose.  Such as walking, jogging, swimming, aerobic dancing, yoga.  Yoga is the best exercise for body shape; swimming is the best exercise for burning fat.  
Everyday exercise is not really effective in weight decrease, and it is really tired!!  Pick up 3 to 4 times wkly, and ea time try to exercise at least an hour and half, 3 hrs is much better, except if you choose cardio dance.  Combine other exercise, like slow walking, after an hour and half cardio dance.  Remember, first 20 ~ 30mins in exercise, it is not burning your fat, it just cause your body lose WATER!!
Pinpoint = Do Not In Take Any Food Within One Hr After Done Exercise.
EATING RIGHT AFTER EXERCISE WILL BUILD OUT THE MUSCLES.
Only drink water or non-sugar sport beverage.
If it is possible, wait for 2 hrs later then eat something slight.
I have tried this method, each time I can lose 1lb. (I weighed-in on next day)

Food In-take habits, yes! it is obviously very very very important!!!
Personally I m extremely hate about was forbidden with some food or was stipulated with certain recipes - like breakfast, lunch, evening....etc.  Well I tried before but quite very quickly.  Anyway weight lost... doubt!!!
Well, I believe this kind of method can work, I heard about some of my friends tried and lost some weights.  For me, I choose to eat everything, but really to need to how to control what you eat and very light food at evening.  I don't like drink water; I love drink sweet and fat beverage.  Well...again! Controlling everyday in-take either food or drinks/ beverage is very important.  Water is the best choice when in diet period.

Hope my experience help all of you.
Even though I know so many ways, either good or bad ways, to lose weight in the short period, I don't want to suggest it.
In fact Lose Weight no short cut.
At very beginning, you may not see any big difference of weights; trying to retain and keep doing your diet plan, you will see your dreamed results soon or later.
Btw, metabolism is very important!!  If you have constipation problem, you must find out how to resolve it.  Generally eat more green vegetables and fruits can help!  Some fruits have high calories, better not to take in the evening.  Choosing the fruits contented more Vitamin C is better for diet, such as kiwi, grapefruit, strawberry, apples...and so on.    
Eat regularly, do not skip a meal; otherwise you will starve for food on next meal.
7am ~ 12pm is the period of body burn fat naturally, so eat good and healthy during the time.  Have you ever felt after lunch easily falling sleep? 12pm ~ 6pm is the period of body stock in fat, so not to eat too full in lunch and try to avoid snack in the afternoon.  If really hungry, try to get something with 0 calories or very slight calories instead.
if your diet is more than 1,000-2,000 calories per day then don't eat more than this or eat less calories food and take exercise and also running after eat.
Hey there,
I am a personal trainer, and I have some information that will help you out! Unfortunately it is not muscle gain.  For females it takes at least a year to gain 5 lbs of muscle.  Also cut down on the cardio!! I know that sounds rediculous but our bodies create what is called cortisol, cortisol is what keeps your fat leave at a health percent.  Females fat percentage averages should be 30-35 percent at the most.  When you do cardio such as treadmill, elyptical, bike, ect. you are burning more muscle than fat.  That said, as your burning that muscle away your body thinks you are burning fat there for the cortisol leaves freak out sorta speak and panic and begin to store and retain fat because it think that the muscle burn is actual fat burn! It's a normal reaction from the body.  Cut down the cardio do more resistance and weight training with higher reps.  Also you should only be in taking 1200-1500 calories per day. Watch the sodium levels and get lots of protein! Get protein powder. The isolate brand! Only half a scoop morning and another half after your work out! Eat lots of greens and what how much fruit you eat. High natural sugars still cause weight gain. Bright colliers veg. Is high with fiber.  Also eat six times a day small portions. But remember allow your self ONE chest MEAL -meaning only on plate.

Hope I helped a but and good luck!!:)
Hey there,

Hope I helped a but and good luck!!:)
Hi doll, I know what you mean about being discouraged about gaining weight while all you're doing should be pointing to losing weight.  I disagree with several of the answers you received about NOT doing weight training.  Quite to the contrary, you should be doing weight training.  By building muscle it will help your metabolism to burn calories even when you're at rest.  It will also help, when those pounds DO start coming off - and I assure you, keep doing what you're doing and they will - your body will not be all skin, and need a tummy tuck.  How much should you be lifting?  That depends on you.  Personally, I lift weights every other day except for Sunday.  I do my legs one day, arms the other, and every day I run on the Elliptical for at least 30 minutes.  I swim twice a week and try and grab an adaptive yoga class (hurt my back a few years ago, and want to take it easy for now with the yoga) once a week.  With weight lifting, I push as hard as I can - 3 or 4 sets of 8, until I feel my muscles fatigue and I can't push them any harder.  Just 8 or 10 pound weights for the arms.  More for the legs on the nautalis machines.  Go with what you feel comfortable with at first, then push yourself to do more.  Drink plenty of water, and keep on keeping on.  I know it's hard.  We all play a numbers game with ourselves...but if you can focus on the bonuses of exercising (gives more energy and is an all natural anti-depressant) rather on the results, it can get you through this.  All this to say, keep-on keeping on sistah!  Fight the fight!  We can do this!
Suzie