Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Doctors in Virginia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Doctors in Virginia

I have been struggling with my weight and have looked into several doctors in my area which is Ricmond, VA I have found 1 Doctor in Richmond (Ronald H. Johnson, MD) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this Dr. or one in Arlington, VA (Denise E. Bruner,MD) If someone has any infomation or knows one that is really good with weight loss please let me know... I really need some help! Thanks so much
hey,

i am in the same predicament but i am in the hampton, va area.  when and if i find a dr. in your area i will certainly let you know.  if you should decide to go to that dr. in richmond va let me know how it turns out.

be blessed,

neely
I found a great place in Burke that does a medically supervised program for 12 week.  I am on week 6 and have lost 12 lbs.  I'm also going to be trying a lipotropic and B12 shot tomorrow in manassas.
I made an appt with Dr. Johnson. Did you go to him? I need to lose about 30 pounds.  it is driving me crazy.
I know several people that have gone to Dr. Johnson and had great results. The only problems are that the prescriptions tend to be expensive and the weekly b-12 shots are like $60 a shot which tends to become expensive as well. I am thinking about trying him anyway.
Dr. Johnson advertises himself as an "Obesity and Weight Loss Specialist", but he also advertises himself as a "Senior FAA Designated Aeromedical Examiner" who can "do Class 1, 2, 3, exams on short notice" (google his phone number).  What does obesity and weight loss have to do with routine physical exams for pilots?  

His website says that he is a "highly sought after physician for the treatment of weight loss", but yet he still has time to "guarantee all pilots availability on Tuesday or Thursday, even on short notice".  His time is split between two offices (one in Fredericksburg and one in Richmond) so, if he is so "highly sought after" for "the treatment of weight loss", how is it that he can "guarantee" short-notice appointments for physicals for pilots 40% of the time?  I guess the fact that he doesn't accept any kind of insurance might have an impact on his available time but, then again, no doctor does that himself anyway...he usually hires someone to do it for him.  So, here you have a doctor who charges twice as much as any other doctor in his field (weight loss, at least), expects payment immediately, and is too cheap to hire someone to handle billing and insurance.  Wow, that must be one rich doctor.    

His website also states "Our highly skilled staff will treat each patient with compassion and dignity", "The practice was founded with the vision of creating a medical practice that treats every patient with dignity and first-rate care", and "We guarantee all medical records are kept completely confidential", but yet he sends humiliating postcards to people that have never even heard of him.  First of all, why would a doctor who is so "sought after" need to stoop to such level?  Second, where is he buying mailing lists of "fat people" who have never done anything, purchased anything, sought treatment for or even inquired about anything that would place them on such a list?  Other doctors, perhaps?  And finally, there is absolutely nothing compassionate, dignified or confidential about slapping a label on a humiliating postcard and throwing it in the mail.

Personally, after receiving that postcard and spending just a few minutes checking him out, I wouldn't go to this doctor if he paid me.
I also know several people who have seen Dr Johnson and have nothing but great things to say about their experience and Dr Johnson himself.  I would love be a patient of Dr Johnson's but like the previous post said it tends to be rather expensive.  Everyone I know has said it has been well worth the $$$.

I work in the medical insurance field and he doesn't take insurance because most policies won't pay for his services because they are considered "elective".  This has absolutely nothing to do with him being "cheap" or wanting to make more money of his patients.  It would make no sense for anyone, paid or not, to file these types of claims to an insurance company. 99% of peoples insurance will NEVER pay for it!  If you are lucky enough to fall in that 1% and your insurance will consider payment then it isn't that hard to file a claim to insurance yourself.  

As for the mailings you received, that is what physicians do to get new patients!  Physicians like Dr Johnson don't usually receive patients from physician referrals like other specialty physicians. Physicians send mailing to other physicians all the time just to let them know what they can offer their patients.  They have to do something to get business (that is what physicians do, other than healing and helping of course, is run a business).

As for the exams for the pilots, I think he has a personal connection there.  
Like I said I have never been a patient of his but I have been in his office and it always seemed to be hopping to me.  He is a legit physician providing medically sound services to patients who choose to pay for it.  You can go to your PCP and receive some of the same meds he gives, but this is his specialty.  
I have seen Dr. Johnson in the past and lost all my goal weight but I went back to my bad ways and now have surpassed my original weight.  I have gone back to him again, today, as a matter of fact.   He may be a little pricey, but if you look at the cost of all the other weight loss programs, he is no more expensive and it is much faster!  One thing since I am investing this money, I am going to stick by it.
Are they any other doctors other than Johnson and Hall-Harris that prescribe phentermine?
I have seen Dr. Johnson, lost tons of weight with him.  He's a great doctor, very thorough. He doesn't just prescribe phentermine, though. He uses drugs best suited to you, if they are suited to you, and requires that you subscribe to a diet and exercise regimine that he gives you. All extremely reasonable (calories, fat and walking).  I went to him at first because several people I worked with had great sucess with him.  Highly recommend him.
I went to Dr. Johnson several years ago.  At that time he prescribed Orlistat, before it was available over the counter now as Alli.  I followed his guidelines with regard to diet, and I received the B12 shots.  Yes, I lost some weight.  But I only went for three visits because apparently I insulted Dr. Johnson when I asked, and reasonably so, that the syringe of B12 NOT be preloaded and lying out on a paper towel on the counter before I arrive.  When I expressed my concern, instead of appeasing my request, he responded, "Well, you just don't have to get it [the B12] then."

When I discussed the situation with my personal physician, he explained that syringes cost only pennies and there would be no reason to re-use them; however, if I have concern with it, I NEED to find another doctor (other than Dr. Johnson)!

I also was not impressed with his...shall we say...bedside manner with regard to how he motivates people?  I am probably not expressing myself clearly on this one.  I am NOT saying I heard anything that crossed the line either to myself or to another patient, but comments which were meant to be motivating were a bit unprofessional and inappropriate.

As far as cost, yes, if you are successful, it is well worth the money to receive treatment.  However, I was NOT impressed by the fact that Dr. Johnson would only give you a one- or two-week prescription, at most, thus requiring weekly or biweekly office visits, which obviously generates more income for him!!

That being said, after the second request regarding the preloaded syringe laying out on a paper towel on the counter was not taken seriously, I refused to continue treating with Dr. Johnson and would not reccomend him as a healthcare "professional".

After my attempt at weightloss through a physician, Dr. Johnson, I joined a local gym (American Family) and started in their AmFamU, which is a routine which orients you to the equipment and gets you on a great start and works on arms, legs, stomach, back, etc.  After that I finished that program, I continued to do some exercise on my own, a little cardio and strength-training, and then I participated in their Be A Loser program, which was 24 weeks.  I am happy to say I finished fifth out of 70 people, and lost 64 pounds!  

So my reccomendation to everyone desiring weightloss is to get into some sort of strength-training routine and combine it with some cardio exercise.  Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you build, the faster the fat will drop!  I know it's so hard to get up the energy to do it, but I promise you, the more you do, the better you will feel and the more energy you will have; and as you lose pounds, it becomes more motivation and more energizing to continue!

Whatever you do, just don't stop trying!  Do it for yourself and for your families!
There is a clinic in Fredricksburg which I have been going to that gives HCG and B12 as well as a pain management clinic and Hormone replacement.. GREAT PEOPLE. Its called the Ailment Wellness Center  (540) 656 2713. Tell them Julie W. sent you.. Make sure you get the B12 with the HCG.. A MUST MUST.. Good Luck
I love Dr. Johnson. I have been under his care since last Feb. He is the kindest man, very understanding. I would never have been able to get this weight off without him. I have tried many other things. Dr. Johnson works with you on a one to one basis. He does his best to keep you on track. I drive quite a ways to see him. It is worth every cent I spend and every mile I drive.I had a car accident in October and gained weight on top of already being heavy. My knee was giving me a fit and this has helped. My blood pressure is better and I feel better. I owe Dr. Johson a lot of thanks. I would reccomend him to any one. Don't put it off

Lisa Creech, Dinwiddie  Va.