Does Wellbutrin cause weight gain or loss?
I am taking Wellbutrin and i wanted to know if it causes weight loss or gain. Also will it interact with my Lipo& B12 shots... please respond.
Its also a great energy boost and thats coming from someone who gets up at 5 am (after getting up through out the night with a 2 month old) and not getting to bed till midnight or later while juggling school job online classes and a boyfriend and is 16.
How are you doing? I was on paxail for many years and just switched to Wellbutrin. Worried abou side effects. I have also gained 30 lbs:(
I was on Paxil for anxiety for about 2 years and gained almost 40 pounds. The Paxil was initially very helpful, however, the weight gain was not something that I was willing to deal with and the drugs effectiveness waned. I was put on Wellbutrin by another Doctor while I was weaning myself of Paxil. I lost all the weight that I had gained on Paxil (and more) within 3 months. I recently began taking the drug again for some anxiety based depression, and I am finding the same thing happening. It seems to curb any appetite. Sometimes I will not realize I have not eaten until I start to feel weak. This is NOT a good feeling either, as it is harder to go throughout my day. I'm hoping to find a balance.
My experience is very similar. I was 125 lbs when I started taking Paxil for anxiety and gained about 40lbs over the course of 2 years. I started on Wellbutrin at the suggestion of my Dr. when I advised that I no longer wanted to take it due to the horrible weight gain. Within about 5 months of taking Wellbutrin I was down to around 115lbs. I recently started taking Wellbutrin again for anxiety and depression after not taking anything for over a year. Within a week I have lost around 5 lbs. I'd rather lose weight than gain, but I also don't want to be a twig and feel exhausted all the time, which I find that I have been. Like you said, I have to remind myself to eat.
I have tried to come off Paxil a couple of times, and had "electric jolts" in my head, dizziness, and nausea.  Be sure to taper!
I started taking Wellbutrin 150mg on Dec 28th, 2012.  Increase the dosage 5 days later to 300mg daily.  within a 5 day period i start crying for nothing. my Dr. put on this to stop smoking which i stoped. Now the weight gain is out of control.  i have gain  20 pounds to this day appetite has double sweets and more sweets.
please help
I began taking Wellbutrin (75 mg x2/day) last March (2012). I lost about 20 or so pounds by July, when my dosage was increased to 300 mg extended release. By september, I had lost a total of 45 pounds. I am a 20 year old female however (19 when I started taking it), so it is rather easy to lose weight at my age. I've kept the weight off though, and now I have a hard time finishing entire meals - I get full very easily. I began taking Celexa (20 mg x1/day) in addition to the Wellbutrin a couple months ago, and haven't seen any weight gain from that. Although I did try to gain a little weight back during the holiday season because people began to comment that I looked like I don't eat. I'm very pleased with where I am right now, and go to counseling every week. I still have sever depression and severe anxiety, but I know I can overcome it, especially with the help of these drugs.
I was losing so much hair I thought I'd go bald. I mean it's really gotten thin. Just read topomax not only causes you to lose hair, but causes the follicle to close - so you won't get any new hair growth!
I was on 60 mg of paxil daily for about 7 years.  Gained about 25 lbs, ZERO sex drive and felt as though it was no longer working for my depression. Also...I turned into a RAGING alcoholic!  I found this out after going through rehab, getting out, and days later, drinking again as much as before!  I decided to quit the Paxil, cold turkey.  NOT a good idea...brain zaps, nightmares, horrible stomach pains. But I did it...and NO cravings for alcohol anymore!  (Google paxil-alcohol cravings if this has been a problem for you...you will be amazed!!)  No paxil, extreme reduction of alcohol, and I have lost 14 pounds in the past 6 weeks!  Need to quit smoking, and still having a bit of depression.  Used Wellbutrin before, generic, lost weight and quit smoking.  Made me a bit aggressive, but then, I was in a horrible relationship.  Had lots of energy and felt VERY good about myself...maybe TOO good!  Going to ask for it again.  Just don't want another nightmare like I had with Paxil.  Paxil is the WORST for side effects and weight gain, as well as losing your libido.  good luck everyone!  And be sure to research ANY drug before taking it.  Doctors these days seem to have no problem prescribing and "upping" the dosages.  
After I had my stroke I was content to sit on the couch all day doing very little had major mood swings and was not fun to be around I would cry for no reason  and was diagnosed with depression. after being on wellbutrin  aprox 6 weeks I have lost 20 lbs without trying to. I have noticed my mood  is better and I want to be more active which I believe to be causing my weight loss.
Yes, why I got on this site, my Doc thought it would help me lose weight and quit smoking, my smoking is down but I am hungry all the time! No, not losing weight! I'm on a very low dose also maybe that has something to do with it, I'm on the Generic regular form of wellburtrin, not sure if I'll stay on it.
I started 100 mg wellbutrin sr,about 2 wks ago i also take 40 mg prozax.i was wondering how long for you lose weight and my appetite is wicked.does this subside.i do seem to be more energetic but sometimes i have weird dreams,anyone relate to this Help and thanks
I wouldn't say it's impossible to gain weight!  I've been on 300 mg XR for about 3 months, when I noticed that all of my clothes were tighter.  I unwillingly stopped the drug due to mail-in pharmacy snafu's and began to notice my weight returning to a more normal range, without intentionally doing anything to make that happen.  I think everyone is different and you must guage your response to and drug carefully.  Some lucky folks have noticed weight loss, sometimes dramatic, but that effect does not apply to everyone!
I am taking wellbutrin to stop smoking. It does help so i really need to stop soon. I dont know if wellbutrin is causing my weight gain. But i have been putting on pounds. I been trying to watch what i eat. I work in pharmacy. Girl came tonight said she gain 30 pounds on wellbutrin. I wonder if that what my problem is. I think it must very in people. It ok to try it. Just watch yourself. all meds have so much side effects. Does not mean a person is likely to have them. I was afraid to take it at first also. I would give it a try. If we search out the side affects on everything we take. we would be afraid to take anything.
I don't think the weight loss applies to me!!! :-(  Reading this forum - actually since I've started Wellbutrin, many years ago, that's when I started picking up weight and I've never been able to lose it.  The only time I was off Wellbutrin was when I was pregnant, but I obviously gained weight then and a stack too!  I had to do a massive diet to lose weight.  Also, it doesn't suppress my appetite and you can't take duromine with it for example.... Which *****!  Now I'm taking another 3 pills with this and they're all "weight neutral" or they're supposed to make you lose weight, but it's just NOT happening for me.  WTF!!!!  I don't know what to do!  The one helped for binge eating, I think it still helps to a certain extent, but it's like this - when your body gets used to it, its like it doesn't do the job anymore.  I'm thinking about asking my pshyciatrist to switch my meds, but then that's a different ball game, getting off this and onto something else!  I just really really REALLY want to lose weight and be slim!!!  Pretty sure I'll feel better then too.  Any comments?
I have fought with depression on and off all my life.  I've taken a variety of medicines.  My most recent was Celexa.  I however have a multitude of issues to factor into the equation.  First of all, depression can be more dangerous to some than others.  I had brain surgery in 2007 to remove a tumor.  After this and all the drugs they put me on I gained lots of weight which added to the depression that I already had.  About two years ago I finally managed to loose 20 pounds,   Then about two years ago started experiencing weird neurological episodes.  So fought to get answers and became more and more depressed.  I was put in Celexa and I was also put on Lamictal.  Gained back the 20 pounds amost immediately.  Then they added Lyrica to the mix.  Now... I'm on Oxtellar too.  Supposedly these weird episodes are some form of seizure (I'm not convinced)  But we found that the Celexa and Oxtellar are NOT compatible.  EEks.  So weened off the Celexa and my depression came back in a tidal wave.  Horribly  So, we found that Wellbutrin is one of the few that doesn't have an interaction issue with the Oxtellar XL  BUT now I am reading that it could cause seizures.  I'm a bit worried now.
Hi!

I'm having the same problem. I had been on Celexa 20mg for 10 years, and switched to Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking, along with the depression. In seven months I have gone from 122 to 142. I have always been able to keep my weight around 117-122, at almost 40 years of age. I do pilates 4 days a week, curves 4 days a week, and I also run. I eat really well also, and my weight will only change by two pounds!!! I am about ready to lose my mind. I think I'm going to have the doctor switch me back to Celexa.
ok guys im going from 100 to 150 bupropion ,also im taking 40 prozac,,2 0.5 clonzapam a day    any comment will be helpful
I am a little bit nervous as well.  I have been on w for 2 weeks now..I don't have much of an appitite..however..I am bipolar and this should help me..good luck to me
Those of us who take antidepressants have probably learned the hard way--through having to try several in sequence at first to find the one that works--that they don't work for everyone in the same ways, nor are there necessarily the same side effects.  
So, from reading this long stream of comments I notice that some people lose weight and some gain it on this medication.  Not so surprising--there is a lot of variation in responses to these drugs.
I just started wellbutrin I am taking 300ML a day. I am not suffering from depression and I dont smoke, but I am just hoping to have more energy and lose some weight? Is this realistic? what are some of the side effects that I may encounter?
I started taking Topamax in September 2012 for severe migraines, 30 days later, we added Prozac, 30 days later added Wellbutrin. The first month I lost 5 lbs, the second month 3 lbs, the 3rd month 15 lbs.  Since September 2012 I have lost 55 lbs and have 25 to go to reach my goal.  I am not sitting on my butt hoping the pill will do magic, I purchased a pedometer and started logging my activity level which was next to nothing when I started. Every day I pushed to walk 1 step more than the previous day.  There is no pill that is going to just magically make you lose weight. You have to want to lose it and you have to put the effort and commitment into it.  Has it helped my migraines? Yes, I have only had 2 major migraines since the beginning of my treatment.  Has it helped my depression and anxiety, absolutely.  It is without a doubt the right combination for me.  Prior to this I tried 9 different anti-d's and every one of them made me gain more and more weight.  Paxil gave me a super false sense of total happiness that even annoyed myself...but it was the worst about the weight gain.  

Wellbutrin side effects I notice.... dry mouth... I drink way more water than I ever have.  Appetite... none.  I have to 'remember' to eat.  Sex drive... at about 3 months I felt like a 17 yr old boy, but that faded away and I no longer 'have' to have it.  

I still can be me, I still have emotions, I still can cry, get mad, get sad, be happy, pissed off, whatever the moment calls for.  With Paxil, I was in laalaa land and everything was happy go lucky... Oh darn, a good friend died, I was the only one in the place with dry eyes.  

It works for me, I hope it works for you.
OMG!!! It's like reading my own story! The celexa for the past 6 years, the total lost of libido, the trying to feel good in front of the children, the sleeping and all I want is sleeping, and the weight gain, HORRIBLE, it is no way to live.The frustrating part is that some doctors, when you are depressed and start talking about how the weight gain bothers you a lot, they try to convince you that that shouldn't be a priority, or even a concern. Well, i have been on many different anti depressant for the past 7 years, and sadly, none of them made my depression better; maybe they made me float somehow and prevented me from being a total mess; also, depression though occurs from unbalanced hormones like serotonin, but one thing is for sure also: Your situation, your problems, your life etc.... are a big part of this depression. So, I want to talk to my doctor about Wellbutrin because I am suffering from major depression, and my body image is not helping. Thank you for your post and i hope Wellbutrin worked for you.
Day on on wellburtin and I have 0 appetite
Which I'm not complaining .
I was prescribed 150 mg xl as I suffer from extreme anxiety and depression
A little weight loss and higher sex drive would be a bonus :)
Is there a difference theses xl versions to others?
I just  started taking generic Wellbutrin, in all of your opinions the generic isn't as good as the real thing???
I just started 150mg Bupropion SR 8 days ago for depression, apathy, anxiety and smoking cessation. I have never taken meds before. I am 5ft9.5 tall and was149 lbs. I am now showing 144 after 8-9 days, no bloating, no cravings, a more methodical and healthy approach to meals and a reduction in smoking, as they don't taste as good and any I have are simply out of habit. I am exercising more also and generally feeling much more fit and today I actually felt slightly emotionally better. The downsides are insomnia, slight headaches and slight nausea. After initial weird feelings, I am settling into it but am supposed to increase to 300mg now. I am going to continue on 150mg a couple of weeks longer first and then increase to be cautious. Otherwise, I have not been able to lose a few pounds for several years and this med is looking like it has more than one benefit for people if it works for you.
I have read everyone of these comments and many of the comments confirm my suspicion. The wait loss or gain may be depends on whether you are taking Willbutrin XL or SR. When I first started taking it, I lost weight, felt better, had no appetite.
Subsequent months I do not feel the Wellbutrin XL is helping me at all. I asked my doc and the pharmacy whether there was a difference between Wellbutrin I was taking at the beggining and now. The answer was NO.
Reading these comments, I really believe the pharmacy may have mistakenly given me SR initially and  XL in the subsequent months. All I know the stuff I got last couple of months is not the same as what I first got. This month, I am going to get the SR to confirm my suspicion.
Hello..I see out of everyone you where on the generic wellbrutin..I am trying to quit smoking..that's why they put me on it..Did you lose weight from the generic or gain weight..I DONT want to gain anymore weight!! I have gained enough due to LUPUS..please email me at ***@****, thank you so much!!! Twila..
My Dr. put me on Paxil and I gained 12 pounds in 3 weeks and CANNOT lose it.  I would like to be on something to help my mood, but I cannot gain any more weight!  That in itself makes me depressed! My Dr. has now decided to put me on generic Wellbutrin--does this work as well as the name brand?  Is there a difference?
I just started wellbutrin sr 150 and im having headaches and blurred vision has anyone else had those same problems?
i was on phentermine i lost 60 pounds in five  months that was two years ago and  last year i held my dads hand when he took his last breath and died one day after my birthday and i got so depressed i gaind the weight back and im having a hard time getting my doctor  to give me a prescription' instead he gave me the genericprescription of wellbutrin and i have a history of seizures already
I'm female, 36 y.o. Taking bupropion sr 450 mg daily for ADD. Started in October. Four months later I'm down 20 lbs. I'm hoping to go down more (the numbers on the scale keep going lower so I seem to be).
Suppressed appetite within days of starting the med.  which is good because I was binge/emotional eating like crazy.
Negative side effects: ringing in ears but doesn't bother me really unless it's completely quiet. Dry mouth but that's okay because it keeps me drinking water all day which I need b/c I have chronic kidney stones. Occasional high bp and rapid heartbeat but I have a cardiologist and he and my GP don't seem concerned.
Positive side effects: it has done wonders for my ADD, and I'm pretty much always in a good mood. Very more at ease with everything. Sex drive has returned after being on hiatus for the last eight years or so--husband and I are loving that. Crazy energized throughout the day without crashing. I sleep just fine, whereas I used to have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep.
Overall I'm pleased with this med and hope I can continue to benefit from it.
I've been on Bupropion for about a month now. My doctor prescribed it for depression and I'm a teenage girl at only 16. I hate the side affects because I've always been paranoid but now I get super nervous and anxious and have SO much trouble falling asleep. I also feel dizzy sometimes and constipated as well as feeling mentally and physically tired all the time. I'm an athlete and this year is the first year where I've been on a break with volleyball. Now I'm just feeling like my head's in a "fog" and I can never concentrate. Problem is, I noticed when I withdrew my dosage of taking only 1 pill a day instead of 2 for the past 3-4 days I've significantly felt like I've gained weight. And so now I'm torn if I should keep taking them or not because if I don't I'll gain weight but if I do I'll have to deal with the annoying side affects. Please someone help and tell me what to do!
Are you taking Wellbutrin SR or Wellbutrin XL
I've battled fatigue and low moods for as long as I can remember...Doctor said I was pre-diabetic gave me Metphormin (made me horribly ill) so I only took it for 1 week along with phentermine (for weightloss) only taking 1/2 pill daily which it did not help me loose any weight so I stopped it as well and my recent check up I complain of no energy and occassional sugar cravings and he insists Wellbutrin will be the answer which I was leary of because of past all bad experiences with any type of anti-depressants but I wanted to be fair to him and at least give it a try.  I'm on my third day of 1 dose of bupropion SR 140 mg tablet (purple) and I do not feel well at all.  Stomach cramps similar to diarreha but nothing comes out and slight headache and very very sleepy and sluggish.  Is this normal?  Will this pass?  I'm about ready to give up and I'm supposed to be taking 2 doses per day for a total of 300 mg but I'm afraid to take the second dose if the 1 dose is making me feel this bad.  Any input is much appreciated as I'm desperate for relief for my extreme fatigue and inability to loose weight but not if I have to go from feelin bad to worse....please help..anyone....
Me too !  Tired of being sad and stressed.
I have gained about 15 lbs. on the generic 150 and have had mood changes, depression, extreme hunger, suicidal thoughts, I haven't changed my food intake before I gained the weight, I am taking more fruit and veggies and exercising and not able to lose.
I was on Wellbutrin XL for 5 yrs. and I feel that it worked very well for me. My family has depression and I have found that I'm also a SAD which is seasonal depression to make it worse. The winter's are very hard for me. I don't like the cold or snow. I had to go off it a year ago when I was put on metformin for type 1 but my scores are normal now but was but on Zoloft for the depression part and my brain was in a fog all the time and angry bouts all the time didn't matter what was going on so I'm going back on Wellbutrin as of tomorrow. I didnt have a huge weight loss with it and for 5'4 and 165 lbs. this is the most I have ever weighed. I'm 47 and the doctor just says its the change in life. Really have heard that since my hyderectomy when I was 30. But, I do feel that it is a safe drug with less side effects than most. So, it was my choice to request it back with the winter depression that I struggle with so much and I do feel happier and able to control my anger with life situations better and no brain fog. Best of luck to all.
This did the same for my brother when he was taking it to try quit chewing and it did change his sex drive and weight. But as for me I have never really seen a huge change in sex or weight. Maintained my weight. But, I had to go off it for a year due to a type 1 med. and just started back on it so hopefully being older it can help reduce my weight that I did gain which is only 10 lbs. but at my age of 47 its definitely tougher.  Good luck to us all struggling with depression or more.
Phentramine helped to dump 30 lbs. in about 2 months like it should. This is a very temporary  solution to losing the tough weight we can't get rid of. but can cause serious problems. There is a time frame to be on the medication for the doctor's have to really monitor your blood pressure, weight, etc. I had to weigh in every week. I believe it to be only a 3 month drug.
I'm on wellbutrin for for SAD which is seasonal depression winter is very hard on me mentally and to compound it with family history depression its been a great drug with little side effects for me. I didn't see a huge weight loss when I was on it the first 4 yrs. since I had a hysterectomy at 30 so hopefully I will see better results this time, but this seems to be the best med. that I have tried with little side effects. Good luck
I have taken Wellbutrin Xl for 4 yrs. for family history of depression and my depression has gotten tougher the last 2 yrs. for me, learning I have SAD which is seasonal depression so this makes my winters very hard for me. I have never liked winter but to compound family depression in which I inherited  the Wellbutrin  has by far been the best anti depressant for me. I have little side effects and my thoughts are not foggy and winter is tolerable for me. As far as weight control I never saw a difference. So, there other meds. for that but in my opinion this is by far the best mood stabilizer I've been on. Best of luck and keep giving the wellbutrin a try. I made the choice to go back on since effexor and pristiq, did nothing for me .
Just wondering my doctor put me on Cipralex and I gained 13-15 lbs, she then decided to switch me to Wellbutrin SR 150 mg. I have gained about 3-4 more pounds and have been sitting at the same since. Does the weight loss happen when you jump from 150 - 300? Or should I expect anything.

So frustrated, working so hard to pay attention to what I'm doing (eating) and exercising. And the weight WILL NOT go away!!

any advice  
In the year and a half did the Medication help? When I first started taking it I helped and I had a loss in appetite. However, it only took a couple of months before it stopped helping. I'm 13 and they are trying to up my dose to 150mg SR when I was on 100mg SR and I'm scared because I'm reading I could have a seizure. Anyways once the medication stopped working my appetite changed too and I became more hungry again. So anyways while you were loosing weight was the medicine helping too?
Ihave been on wellbutrin xl 300 2 1/2 weeks and I have no appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat and I have lost 20lbs in those 2 1/2 weeks. My doctor gave it to me to stop smoking but it hasn't helped. My doctor also gave me chantix and I'm on day 2 with that. I also take lipitor for high cholesterol and noticed the weight loss increased while taking it but I have insomnia and literally don't sleep for days. I found myself so tired the other day that I couldn't function but after a 3 hour nap I was good to go.
I'd really like to continue what I'm doing as the weight loss is great. I'd like to lose about 25 more pounds
Good luck to everyone
At 150mg xl I started out wanting to eat a lot and I had headaches for about 2 weeks. Fast forward a few months and I was feeling better than ever! No impulsive desire to eat or anything anymore! Energy, optimism, the desire to socialize again - it was great!
Lost a total of 13lbs on it (8 by myself before I started taking it).

Well my doctor decided it might be good to up the dosage. I started taking the 300mg xl two days ago and omg it bites. I am bloated and I know it's caused by the medicine because 1) I eat very well, and 2) I'm not on my monthly. This happened both of the times I have taken it. Not only that but I've been wanting to eat like crazy, and I feel a total drain of motivation and the desire to just get out of bed. I noticed that throughout the day after about 5 hours, I start to feel a lot better. I think it may be too big of a dose at a time.

To be honest I have taken my 150mg pills 2x a day (not prescribed) and I felt perfectly fine. In fact I've taken the max dose (450mg) and felt fine as well.

I find that 300mg is the sweet spot for me, but not all at once. I wonder if I should just stick this out like I did last time, or ask my doctor if it's possible to take the er xl 150mg 2x daily. (I know the sr is usually 2x a day).

Its just frustrating because I have so much hw and I just met my weight goals and now all of that is about to fall off the table. :(
I'm on 150 mg twice a day is that pretty high in mg's
How many tons she is now and what is height of roof?
I was put on Wellbutrin 150 mg about 4 months after losing my Son.  I have been on it about 5 weeks and have lost 15 lbs., although I had lost some prior to being on it from the grief and depression.  I'm losing my hair, and my doctor said stress, but now I'm wondering, because someone on this forum said Wellbutrin could cause hair loss.  Is that a temporary side effect or will it continue or be permanent?  I didn't notice any affect on my depression until this week, now feeling a little better, and seem to be more alert - previously had brain fog.  So I'm not wanting to get off it, or increase my dose as I'm also on Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia, and it does help the pain.  But obviously I don't want to lose my hair.  Could someone please comment on this issue?  Thank you.
This is an old post I appreciate but its frustrating reading people dismissing the fact it CAN put on weight for some people. It is not impossible at all to gain weight on Wellburtin (as the side-effects state). It was great for my depression and actually helped with my anxiety a little strangely but after 3 months it made my cravings and appetite spiral unexpectedly out of control and now 8 months later I am heavier despite watching what I eat and exercising. I am on a very low does too. I am a long distance runner so normally get too slim if I am training for a race but I have put on significant weight and cannot control the hunger cravings which are like nothing I've ever had before. I am ravenous about an hour after I take my pill in the morning...and that continues through the day, even though I try and ignore it or control it. The hunger and cravings don't dissipate with eating either. Initially I lost my appetite and interest in food and lost a little weight but that all changed around month 2/3 for no reason I can define. Despite being around 1,500 cals per day (with exercising) I am still the same weight after putting it on around month 3/4? And once it latched onto my hips and belly it refuses to let go. I also have much higher flashes of pure anger and irritability as another side effect and started losing hair.  Like Paxil for me, this drug DOES put on weight and I am going off it...weight gain depresses me more than depression and anxiety as it severly effects my running which is my natural coping mechanism for the anxiety. I run about 1 minute slower for a mile at the moment...