Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Does Wellbutrin cause weight gain or loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

I am taking Wellbutrin and i wanted to know if it causes weight loss or gain. Also will it interact with my Lipo& B12 shots... please respond.
I can't speak from experience, but my friend lost a TON of weight on Wellbutrin and her sex drive went through the roof!  Good luck!
I took Welbutrin for 3 months (8 years ago) to help me quit smoking & I lost weight.  It was like a stimulant, to me.  AND I did quit smoking!!!
You loose weight.  It makes you a bit nervous, so if you have an anxiety problem.  Its not for you.
My doctor discussed possibly putting me on welbutrin. I am SCARED TO DEATH of two side effects I was told welbutrin can cause.
            1. seizures
            2. weight gain
Can anyone here put my mind at ease?
Wellbutrin can absoultly cause seisures. It caused me to have two about a year apart. The first time I was traveling in
china and thought maybe it was the time change, strange foods, etc. The 2nd time I was home and after hospitalization and exhaustive tests there was no doubt it was the Wellbutrin. In their TV ads for Wellbutrin the manufacture now mentions seisures as one of the main side effects. I did lose some weight and at 55 my libido went through the roof. Thoses side effects were great :-) But the seisures caused me untold grief with the Motor Vehicle Department. I believe the higher the dose the more likely the seisure and as far as I know nothing such as too much coffee contributes. It's the drug and your particular body chemistry. More and more is being written about the connection between Wellbutrin and seisures please do some in depth homework.
I have been on Wellbutrin SR 300mg for 1 month. I currently have lost 6 pounds over the period of time. I previously was on Celexa and gained that 5 or 6 pounds. I suffer from Depression and complusive eating. I find that the Wellbutrin has helped with the binges and complusiving thinking of food. However, my question is if anyone has lost weight on Wellbutrin sr 300mg, how long did it take to lose the weight and how much? What did it do to you, suppress your apetite or just made you lose weight? Please respond back if you can answer any of these questions, im in desperate need of some answers and hope ! ! Thank you.
I just started on wellbutrin xl 150mg/day.  I'm nervous about weight gain and sezures.  I read that you had two already can you tell me how high of a dose you were on. I read that sezures are only for higher dose you were on. I have only stayed on depression meds no longer that 2 weeks to 3 months. I have been on Paxil, Zolof, Lexapro and now Wellbutrin.  I am afraid to take these meds. But, everyone thinks I need them. Thanks for you help
I have also taken celexa in the past. I have been on Wellbrutrin 300mg for 2 years. When I first increased my does to 300mg (from 150mg) I had just moved and started a new very stressful job (vet clinic). I never had time to eat at work very often, I ended up loseing 20lbs in just around 3 weeks and got very sick. I ended up quiting my job. Now I eat probably 3 times more then I did before to sustain the weight I'm at. If I don't eat within a half hour of feeling hungry I actually vomit. My metabolism has become super active, and I have also had a lot of muscle gain. strangly, if I work out I gain weight easily (muscle mass).  In college I put on 20 lbs, but I've lost 30lbs since being on wellbrutrin. I have maintained the weight I'm at for a year and a half now. I am actually under weight now for my size, but I do like the way I look. I couldn't put on weight if i tried, I am afraid that if I stop takeing wellbrutrin that I will gain weight due to being use to eatting a lot now. if anyone gains weight I would be amazed. I am contemplating getting off of it due to all the bad side effects I get, the worst being dry mouth. I hope I was of help.
I have lost 40+lbs in 1 1/2 years without even trying! at First you feel the side effects strongly,but they do go away after two weeks...then you find yourself cleaning house and you start to notice weightloss! I also was able to quit smoking for 8 months
How long until you start to loose weight on Wellbutrin?
Does that part start right after the 1st 2 weeks? I have been binge eating and cant seem to control my sweet tooth as i used to in the past!
I just started Wellbutrin 2 days ago!!!
I was on Paxil in the past and gained a total of 20 pounds in just 4 months!

Are you taking the generic Wellbutrin?  When I started that, I began binge eating, and eating anything that wasn't nailed down. I have gained about 20 lbs in about a month :(  After some extensive research, I found out that the generic can cause certain people some really nasty side effects. I am also dizzy, nauseous all the time, crying, angry, etc..

At first I thought it was because I switched over from celexa and was having celexa withdrawals. Then my Dr prescribed the brand name  Wellbutrin XL 300, Miracle of all miracles, my insurance is paying 100% of it.   I start taking it Wednesday.

I think I may start a post on this at some point.  

This was my original post about the symptoms i was having. If you get these, call your Dr, it's no way to live. Some of us just can't tolerate teh generic. It's NOT the same.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/661271?personal_page_id=273333&post_id=post_3551114
When I started Wellbutrin it seemed like it was going to be heaven. It gave me energy and controlled my hunger.  Now a few weeks later I seem to eat anything in sight.  Has anyone else had this problem.  Also is there a diet pill that can be taken with Wellbutrin to offset the hunger?  It is great a controlling my depression and hunger.

On my prior post I meant but NOT my hunger! lol
I've been on Welbutrin for 8 months. So far I've lost 30 pounds.  I started taking phentermine 37.5 with it about 3 months ago.  The Welbutrin did pretty good with controlling my hunger but the phentermine really helped me loose the weight.  I have to force myself to eat.  It caused me to be pretty jittery at first but after a couple of weeks it improved.
I have been taking both Wellbutrin SR, 450mg/daily, and Topamax, 200mg/bid for a year and 9 months now, and the combination is great!  The Topamax is an anti-seizure drug, works for migraines (which I only had as a teenager) causes weight loss and is a mood stabilizer.  It also intensifies the effects of many other meds.  I have lost over 140 lbs, and just recently began to lose a little more.  I started out at 300 lbs, and this mornings weighed 166.8.  
It really helped a lot when I quit drinking beer, though, since it is very fattening and it is a depressant.  (Duh!)  LOL!  That was about 6 months ago.  But in spite of that, I lost 140 lbs anyway, and now have begun to lose more.  I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, and now it looks as if I may have to do it all over again.  I did start smoking again, however, after quitting for over 5 years.  I plan to quit again and have a presciption for Chantix, which I've heard great things about, but my insurance doesn't cover.  I need to switch to another plan because that stuff is expensive to buy out of pocket!
manxway
Do you know if there is more benifits as far as weight lost with the Wellbutrin SR then the Wellbutrin XL.
I am currently taking 300 mg XL daily no weight lost 1 month
I have been on Welbutrin for almost 4 months now and have noticed weight gain of about 8-10 pounds and I'm not eating anymore than I use to. I'm wondering if the 'weight-gain'/'weight-loss' issue is affected by whether or not people 'need' to lose weight before they start taking it.

I consider myself to have a fairly high metabolism and I can maintain my weight quite easily. I know what causes me to gain weight and what I need to do to lose it. Now that I'm taking Wellbutrin it seems like I'm just gaining weight and there's no reason for it. I'm also having a crazy hard time losing it!

I'm starting to put things together and think I may know why I'm gaining the weight. Wellbutrin is making me very constipated, which is completely out of the ordinary from my usual 'regular' routine. I usual go 2-4 times a day and now I'm lucky if I go once. There is a link between being constipation and gaining weight. I'm hoping once I get myself 'regular' again that I'll see the weight fall off.
seizures are one of the side effects but from wht i understand u need to make sure your doses r 24 hrs apart and dont dbl dose if u miss one just skip it or u can also over dose
I am taking Webutrin XL and noticed a gain weight. I am not eating much and wonder why !!! I thought i was suppose to loss weight ??? I feel bloated and have stomach pain?

Julie
It sounds like all of you are taking welbutrin for weight loss. Can't you just take a prescribed diet pill instead?? I'm so confused I thought welbutrin was suppose to help with depression. I was really excited about talking to my dr about welbutrin because I thought it was an anti depressant along with all these great side effects (weight loss, increased sex drive). Of course I would love increased sex drive and weight loss but I really want to not feel so depressed.
I started taking wellburtin, for the second time in a couple of years a couple of days ago, I took it before for depression and now to stop smoking, we shall see how it works, the side affect is weight loss, I lost some weight the first time with it but that is okay! Rather lose then gain expecially when u are trying to quit smoking! Energy is up again as well which is a good boost and for once I have a feeling of happyness, so all in all I do like the it. Just hope it really does help to stop smoking, the first time I took it I did not smoke back then so we shall see!! Can't wait to stop smoking!
I started Wellbutrin a few months ago and have gained 30 pounds in 4 months!  Anyone have ideas on how to make it stop?  I don't eat any different than I used to.
You had two Seizures 1 year apart. How high was your dose?
I started taking Wellbutrin for Major Depressive disorder many years ago, and continued to take it for 3 years.  It did work well for depression, and I did have the beneficial side effect of the weight loss as well.  I have taken Zoloft and Lexapro in the past which also worked well for depression, but similar to others on this site, I couldn't stand the weight gain. So I tapered off and ultimately quit.  I have to be honest and say that when I took the Wellbutrin (in my late 30's) my figure looked amazing (better then in highschool).  I'm not sure what it does to your body chemistry, but I did not gain weight, and I had lots of energy, so I stayed very active, ran and did weight training. And did not really need to try to watch my weight during this time. I quit taking the Wellbutrin because I was trying to get pregnant with my second child.   I went about 3 more years without having another episode of depression, and now here I am again.  One thing I will say is Wellbutrin did not work very well for Anxiety, so this time around I am going to talk to my Dr. about something that would work in combination with the Wellbutrin. Good luck to everyone. And thanks for your posts.. It is reassuring to see people who know what it's like to live life with depression.  
I have been on Celexa for about 4 years & my Doctor recently started me on Welbutrin to counteract the side affects of the Celexa (I gained 30 lbs & completely lost my libido). I blamed my weight gain on my change in life style - less active. So I started working out 5-6 times a week, it's been over 2 months and I have had no results. I am getting off Celexa & after reading everyones posts am excited to hopefully reap the benefits of Wellbutrin. I don't know how you can stop feeling depressed if you gain so much wait you feel horrible just looking in the mirror. I've struggled with depression for 25 years, been on & off all kinds of antidepressants. I use to pretend I was OK around people & especially my kids but as soon as they left for school I went to bed, got up before they got home & started cleaning, cooking, etc. I'd go to bed hoping tomorrow would be better...it never was. I hated waking up. If you feel like this you definitely need to talk to your doctor. It can get better it's just a pain trying to find the medication that will be right for you. Good luck to everyone. Take Care!

Bluangel
Im new to welbutrin and seem to be gaining weight on it. My dr put me on it for compulsive behavior and depression. All its done is make me not want to do anything. I dont want to go the the gym, work or anything. Im just content to sit home all day and do nothing. Thats so not like ,me. I feel like I want to quit taking it, the last thing I need to do is gain weight on it. I've only been on it about a month, should I stay on it or stop..I dont know what to do. My dr. left it up to me.
I have been on Wellbutrin for almost a year at 300mg for depression. I took it a few years ago for depression i didn't lose or gain on it. However when i stopped it (without consulting my doctor first) I gained 20/30 lbs. Since being back on it i have seen a small change in my weight maybe 10lbs. My Doctor just increased my dosage to 450mg about a month and a half ago. Since then i have lost 15lbs. My question to others is did you stop losing at some point and able to maintain? My daughter took a med for ADHD and i watch her lose weight rapid but it never stopped and i am worried that may happen with me.
I was on Welbutrin for four months or so, 200 mg.  My appetite was stunted a lot.  But the bad thing, I wanted only sweets.  Then it was raisesd to SR300 mg.  I definitely have lost my appetite.  I eat  just a fractiion of what I did.  I force food down just to get some nutrition.  I have lost 13 pounds in 5 months.  I am only 5 ft. so that is a lot for me.  Since the dosage was rased, I really lost my appetite.  The good side effect is that I am always wanting sex.  I am married so that is okay.
I think it's impossible to gain weight on Wellbutrin alone(don't know about the generic SR though). Otherwise I guess you could even say Amphetamine could cause weight gain(no pun intended).
I have been on Paxil Cr 25mgs for 6 years i have gained 25 lbs and i have no energy my doctor is weaning me off the paxil to start the wellburtin i hope the side affect of it is weight loss! I wonder what other side affects i will have starting the wellburtin and is there any suggestions to help I also worry about coming off paxil any suggestions thanks.. **
I have taken it all.. last was Celexa paired with Abilify.  I went from 120 to 160 in about 2.5 mos.  I didn't think I was eating too much but I did decrease exercise.  My doctor weened me off of those and put me on Wellbutrin which has not made me gain weight -- I'm also exercising a little too so that has helped.  I really appreciate all of the comments here -- makes me feel a little better about depression (no pun intended) and that alot of people feel like I do.  Who knows what works and what doesn't?  One day I hope I will find the best pill out there but until then, we have to keep trucking along.  
I switched to Wellbutrin (generic) about 3 weeks ago to combat (and replace) Prozac weight gain. I had taken Prozac for about 6-7 years ago and it was perfect for me except the weight gain. I gained 15lbs and looked 4 months pregnant. I had recently had a baby but had lost the weight and when I started on prozac people thought I was pregnant again! I thought wellbutrin woud be a good replacement, but so far it seems to be causing more weight gain! I also nevr had much of an appitite but w/ wellbutrin it seems to increase my appetite. Also insomnia. I am up now because of it (4a.m.). I think I am going to try the Brand and see if that helps. I have also been terribly irritable, maybe from not being on Prozac ( which was wonderful for that!) But so far, no good effects for me.  
I was on Wellbutrin for a few months several years ago.  I was always around 120 lbs, even after 4 kids! Went on this crap because my Dr, thought it would help PMS, it did nothing but cause me to jump from 117- 150 lbs in less than 3 months.  Ever since, my metabolism has been so screwed up, I can't drop below 145 lbs.  I work out 6 days a week, I eat very healthy and I still can't lose the weight.  I never had a problem before I took this drug.  I wish it had been the opposite effect.  Those of you who have lost, be thankful, but don't ever take a drug to lose weight!  That is the dumbest thing I ever heard.  I started drinking MonaVie (all natural) and because of the antioxidants and vitamins, I no longer suffer from PMS and I feel great.  More info if you want, email me here ***@**** I am currently looking for a way to naturally raise my metabolism without medication or synthetic drugs.  Any ideas, please let me know.  I really think my Thyroid is messed up since being on Wellbutrin. Thanks, email me at the above email if you have suggestions.
I was on celexa for 6 mos and it made me gain 20lbs and just started wellbutrin sr and was wondering if this has helped anyone lose weight? I am starting off with 150 sr 1x a day for 3 days and tommarrow I start 300sr , so far side effects are insomnia.  I hope this helps me
I took 300mg of wellbutrin for about three years.  I am 5' tall and weighed 107 lbs (a very healthy weight) before taking it and in those three years I lost 20 lbs. I was extremely small which isn't exactly the worse side effect. The bad: Suicidal (when wasn't before), emotionally unstable (anxious, afraid, uncomfortable, aggressive, sad), and I hallucinated.  I don't recommend any antidepressants for MDD (what I had) as a first step. If you feel depressed or were diagnosed with it, start jogging or walking everyday outside, spend time in the sun, reduce the amount of carbs you eat (they make you feel better but also gain weight), eat healthy foods, sleep as early as possible and wake up in the morning.  I didn't get better until I stopped taking antidepressants and started to do things and keep busy.
I've been on 300 mg Wellbutrin for about 3 months, up from 150 mg which I was on for maybe 2 months.
Worst side effect- absolutely NO sex drive!
Most painful side effect- extremely constipated... I eat lots of fruit, drink lots of water, and take stool softeners but to no avail. I'm still constipated, it just hurts slightly less now.
I haven't noticed any major weight gain or loss, although I think it increased my appetite. I'm eating more...but not gaining weight. So maybe that somehow proves it helps you lose weight? I don't know.
I was on Paxil and I hated it it made me gain 30lbs but if you research it everyone says they gained the dreaded 30. But that good the Dr. it weaning you off I got off of it without being told about the withdrawals  and just me it was nothing nice. I had brain zaps like crazy I thought I was going crazy Paxil is the worst for withdrawal systems.
I have been on wellbutrin for 6 years and i have losts 50 lbs in 2 years . I have not had any side effect bad side of effect. It has realy worked for me.I have tryed other did nothing at all for me.
I was on Wellbutrin 150 for a year, but saw no improvement in depression...Went to a new doctor who prescribed name brand Wellbutrin SR 300 mg. Have seen a big improvement in depression and my overall mood/energy. I am 29, have been on the SR 300 mg for 6 weeks and have gone from 139 to 133 without trying. It definitely works.
When do all of these side effects occur?  I've been onit for 16 days and my mood is getting better. How long does one have to be taking it to gain/lose weight?
It may take a few weeks, but you will notice the changes. With me i noticed the weight loss within a month when i had lost 5 pounds  It also helped me quit smoking. I wasn't even trying to quit, I just was smoking less everyday and then finally I was smoking so few, I was able to just stop all together. It'sa great drug.
While on Wellbutrin my weight seemed to be very stable while my sister was gaining lots of weight and hardly eating (due to genetics, we were wondering why I wasn't having the same problem).  I have been on Wellbutrin for a few years and haven't been exercising very much like I used to.  While I was under a lot of stress for a few months I lost a lot of weight.  I attributed it to the stress.  After the stress subsided I quit my Wellbutrin and within a week I started gaining weight like crazy.  I started weighing myself and in several days it was a half a pound a day!  Today the lightbulb went on and I decided to look up what affect Wellbutrin might have on weight loss/gain.  I'm not depressed so I don't want to take it for depression but I am so alarmed at this weight gain that I think I will go back and finish off my bottle until I figure it out.  Has anyone else had this problem with quiting Wellbutrin?
I have been on many different medications for depression and tried both chantix and wellbutrin to quit smoking. I could not take the chantix due to migraines and the medication would bring them on. As with any medication the side effects differ for each person. No one is the same. Many ppl have some of the same side effects but each persons health, background, metobolism, ect is different in some way, shape, or form. Therefore cannot expect the same results as some one else. I did experience a weight loss on the wellbutrin both name brand and generic form. I was alot younger then (6-7 yrs ago) and plan on trying it again to help me quit smoking, help with mood/depression, and hopefully weight loss. After many trips to my dr I would also like to add that taking many medications can also have negative side effects on your kidneys. After years of different medications I found out one of my kidneys is noticably smaller than the other in which my nephroligist believes to be from being on many different meds over the years. Although it doesn't seem to be a problem right now it could cause significant problems later on in life with kidney failure (for me).
Ive been taking the lowest dose of Welbutrin for about 2 weeks and i've already lost 10 pounds!  My sex drive also has gone crazy and I love it!  Welbutrin also helped me quit smoking...  so far as I can tell this is like a miricale drug...  Stopped my depression, made me lose 10 pounds, makes me a sex manic ;), and stopped me from smoking!  
I have the same problem.  When I first started the Wellburtin I lost the weight.  Now I seem to eat everything.  I have gained all the weight plus some back and can't lose it.
I just started Wellbutrin 100mg twice a day. I have been on it for about a month mow and i find myself binge eating too! Does this go away? I have a really bad sweet tooth as well! I hate the way I look and HATE shopping for clothes since nothing seems to fit. How long does it take to loose the weight??
@ tessers76.  Please have your nephrologist look for FMD (Fibromuscular Dysplasia.  fmdsa.org ), just in case.  My 10 year old daughter has this and it is so commonly mis-diagnosed. I have made it my mission to educate people on this disease!!!  FMD (if it's renal) also can cause one kidney to be smaller than the other because the renal artery is beaded, like a strand of pearls.  She has her kindey's measured every 6 months.  I challenge you all to ask your Dr's about FMD, I bet 50% of them don't know what it is.  I am sure your Nephrologist is great, but it never hurts to check.  If any Dr. should know about FMD, it would be a Nephrologist.  Anyways, I too just started Wellbutrin (generic), ultimatley to quit smoking however, I do beleive I have been depressed for quite some time now, just have not gone to the Dr. to talk about it. :(  I'm hoping it helps with both.  Little nervous about the weight gain though.
I took wellbutrin XL 150 mg for several months.  I gained 10 pounds and constantly craved sugar and sweets.  Everything smelled very strong.  It also greatly increased my sex drive.  that was nice but I couldn't handle the weight gain.  I just want to warn everyone that not everyone loses weight I didn't.  :(
I will be starting wellbutrin 150 mg , for depression. I am also currently on thyroid meds...Im hoping this combined will help me lose weight. About 7 years ago I lost a ton of weight on phentermine but gained it all back...wish me luck!
Hi- I seem to be in the exact same situation as you. I am 5 ft tall and weight around 105-107- fluctuating. I started taking the Wellbutrin at the end of April. I could go days without eating if I didn't make myself or remember. I am not 87 lbs. My main problem is Anxiety. I do think I need to be on something for that. However, I agree with your suggestion as far as sun light, exercise, eating healthy, etc. What I would like to know is- when you went off the Wellbutrin, did you gain all of the weight back? If so, how long did it take? I don't want to weigh more than I started out and I am nervous that coming off of it will put on too much weight. I have some insecurities with my weight so I have to be careful when gaining/losing. What was your "after wellbutrin" experience like?
I am only 18 and 5 ft. i was on the generic for abilify and ate very healthy but i ended gaining tons of weight! I am now 137 lbs and rising and it makes me angry and even more depressed. Which welbutrin ( XL or SR) and how many mg daily, will help me lose weight and be more stable with my moods?? please help!
I just switched from zoloft to welbutrin for weightloss and depression. The Zoloft made me have a huge appetite and I gained about 6-8 lbs. I have been welbutrin 150mg for a week now and just switched today too the 300mg. I am 15, 5 foot 7 inches and weigh about 155 pounds. I should weigh anywhere from 125-135 pounds so thats about 25lbs I need. My appetite has dropped dramatically and im only eating a yogurt for breakfast then one for lunch. I started running (only
I just switched from zoloft to welbutrin for weightloss and depression. The Zoloft made me have a huge appetite and I gained about 6-8 lbs. I have been welbutrin 150mg for a week now and just switched today too the 300mg. I am 15, 5 foot 7 inches and weigh about 155 pounds. I should weigh anywhere from 125-135 pounds so thats about 25lbs I need. My appetite has dropped dramatically and im only eating a yogurt for breakfast then one for lunch. I started running twice a day(only about 5min each). And I start school in two weeks. I was wondering with the diet im on with the welbutrin, about how long do you suppose it will take to lose 25lbs if I keep doing what im doing? PLEASE RESPOND!!!(:
At first I noticed no change then I basically after about 2 weeks noticed a decrease in appetite. The food I craved before I now have to force myself to pay any attention to it LOL. I really think its works for a decrease. Its been 3 weeks now I am currently on 300 SR. There is way more weight loss with this then weight gain. The higher the dose the less u are hungry.
I have experienced weight-loss to the tune of about 16 lbs in a little over two months. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg and I think it helped with a lifestyle change more than weight-loss. I'm taking it for ADHD and immediately I felt better able to handle thoughts and my actions, where before sometimes I would react, or respond without regard. My mind seemed to always be racing and impulsiveness was my middle name. Since taking Wellbutrin SR I have a better control on my life and I have completely cut out drinking (1-2 drinks a week, previously) and my food portion size has become quite healthy. I feel like I have a better handle on things and I'm more able to weigh costs prior to eating and life as a whole. The weight loss has been an added plus, but again, I would attribute this more to lifestyle change than anything else.
Why do you loose weight!! I have been on it since June and have lost like 20 ppunds making me skinner than I have ever been??
I am taking wellbutrin for other reasons other than weight but i'm amazed at how much weight  I'm losing! I have lost 4 lbs in the last month. Yesterday I was 174.2 and today i'm 174. Everyday when I weigh myself I can see that type of a difference. Don't know how it works...but i'm defintely not complaining! I'm over weight and i'm loving this! I take 2 tablets a day. I don't see much of an appetite loss, at least not any that is noticeable. I think I eat like I was eating before. Haven't had any problems with seizures yet, thank goodness.
I started taking wellbutrin xl 150mg (generic) on 10/4 due to mood swings, racing thoughts and mild depression. So far my racing thoughts are better, depression I cant quite gauge it. I too want to sleep in all day once the kids go off to school, however I now have insomnia, nothing with the libido,would love the increase I have a beast for a husband and would truly enjoy it,  I'm eating like crazy which I seriously already have a problem with binge eating, now I need sweets like nobodys business. I will weigh myself in the morning to get an accurate assesment. I will continue my 30day supply and switch to the brand name after Rx. Will see.
I have been on various antidepressants for about 20 years.  I am also a registered pharmacist.  Here has been my history.  Started on zoloft and was taking this for about 3 years.  The zoloft worked ok for the depression and anxiety.  Not many side effects, other than weight gain (20 pounds).  Then, went on paxil.  Worked better for the depression and anxiety.  However, I gained another 30 pounds, and it lowered my sex drive and my ability to perform sexually (male).  Went off the paxil after about 6 years while still in a very stressful job.  The side effects were horrible (heart palpitations, vomiting, anxiety, etc...) for about 2 months.  However, I lost 40 pounds.  I tried to stay off of antidepressants, but had to go back.  Went on Lexapro.  Gained about 15 pounds initially and another 15 after about a year.  Started the wellbutrin xl 150mg about a week ago.  I am dizzy a lot, but I think that will go away.  I can perform fine sexually after just a week off the ssri.
Here is my conclusion after 20 years of being on a-depressants, and also after over 20 years of being a pharmacist.  I think that there are a lot of people like me that either need to take an antidepressant or dramatically change their lifestyle.  For example, change careers, divorce, etc...  There is usually something in a person's life that is causing great stress and leading to depression and anxiety.  And, some people are simply more prone to the depression/anxiety when under that stress.  So, take the medication or get out of whatever is causing the major stress (if possible).
Regarding the medications, a couple of points.  Generics can vary in potency by up to 20 percent, and still be approved by the FDA.  Also, I believe from my experience with myself and my patients that people do respond differently to the various antidepressants.  However, I do think that there are some trends.  For example, paxil tends to cause the most weight gain.  Wellbutrin tends to cause the most weight loss.  The ssri's like paxil, zoloft, celexa and lexapro tend to negatively affect libido and ability to perform sexually in males and females.  Wellbutrin tends to be neutral in regards to sexual issues, and tends to improve sexual drive.
hello can anyone tell me whar happened to your weight aftervquitting wellbutrin? did you gain weight again? and if you did then because you had more appetite ore because your metabolism changed??
thanks
lol sorry for all the spelling mistakes! typed this from my new phone and i just can't really handle it yet (;
are u taking the XL or SR version of it?
are u taking the XL or SR version of it? .
Which of the two versions mentioned, works better for weight loss? I've been precribed it to quit smoking, but would love to have the best version of it to lose some pounds while working on my smoking habit.
I started Wellbutrin SR about a month ago for deprseeion i haven't noticed weight loss or gain. I'm hoping it will help me to lose some weight. I am also taking Lamictal will this affect the side effects of the Wellbutrin at all? Also, which is better for weight loss SR or XL?
I had a similar reaction when I went off of Wellbutrin several years ago after losing some weight while taking it - I actually split my jeans I gained so fast when I went off it.  I would do a very slow weaning from it this time.  

I am actually on it again to try and quit smoking.  I have gained weight while on it and am afraid that I might gain more when I go off it again.  I am older now, though, so I think that might be the difference.  natural metabolism slowdown.

I took Wellbutrin (not sure of dosage) when it first came out to quit smoking.  Didn't work, but I lost weight.  Might have been too little dose. Sex drive = great.

Then, a couple of years ago, I took it just for depression and anxiety but when I went off of it, I gained weight - I mean, like, crazy fast - my jeans split.  Was in my early 30s then.

I am actually on Welbutrin XL 150 per day now (the SR was too strong, gave me heart palpitations, etc.)  to try and quit smoking.  I have gained weight while on it and am afraid that I might gain more when I go off it again.  It's working as far as the smoking goes now though, but not until I was taking the full dose - started out just taking 75 mg per day.

I am older now, though, so I think that might be the difference.  No weight loss this time.  Natural metabolism slowdown as you get older, I suppose.

Also, must take the dose earlier in the day or it will mess with sleep patterns.  I take it in the morning and mid-afternoon so as to prevent sleepless nights or increase anxiety.  Good luck.
Is it common practice for a pharmacist to automatically fill a prescription with the generic version of a medication?  Can I ask my pharmacist to fill my prescription with the brand name?  (Wellbutrin XL)

Thanks,
Tracie
i started wellbutrin for deprision not knowing the side effects it works great and the side effects are a bounes ;-)
Yes...  OMG...    I did lose about 10 poounds within the first two months.. I am also on Zoloft..  I was on Zoloft and gain 50 pounds over a few years.. so the doctor put me on Wellbrutin..  300mg. a day.  I was fine.. doing ..great.. coming off the Zoloft.  I'm down to 50mg. of zoloft... but.. can't lose anymore weight..  I also have hypothyroidism.. ..I take thyroid med for that.    Now .. I want to eat everything.. lately.. I'm slowing gaining again. so I cut back to 150mg.. felling not so well right now.

Also my blood pressure is through the roof.  The doctor put me on Beta blockers..

So my question.  Is .. "Does Wellbrutin make your blood pressure go up...   I do have stress.... but who doesn't these days..  

All I know is I was thin and pretty...good shape.. now i feel like i'm dying.. with no energy.  

I'm walking at night ..  changed my diet.. don't drink...or smoke.  I hope the old me comes back..

So yes..... to your questiton..  I'm eating like crazy....  well craving it.. like crazy..   I'm not eating everything.. now.. but i want too..   Any other stories like mine.

Has anyone..  gotten high Blood pressure.. from taking Wellbrutin??      I'm sick of all the meds.. if I could go back.. with the knowledge I have now..  boy.. oh boy..  I wouldn't be on Beta Blockers..  
I have FMD. Diagnosed 7 years ago in my carotids. Since it has been found in my renal and femoral arteries. I have had angioplasty for all...UGH!! I see a Vascular Specialist in Maryland named Dr. Benjamin. Every 6 months I get a Vascular Ultrasound. I like you always bring it up when I hear of someone experiencing the symptoms of FMD. The only thing I take for it is a low dose aspirin...I had 2 small anerysums form in my carotids so they like to keep my blood a tiny bit thinner. I wsh they would have found this when I was a child...it would have explained alot! Wish your daughter all the best!!
I just started I'm new to Wellbutrin sr the generic brand (bupropion)100mg its been almost a week I started off taking it once a day now today I'm taking it twice a day I'm taking it for my anxiety and depression can the. Generic brand make you lose weight or gain weight ? When I was younger I was talking zoloft then switch to Paxil it made me gain a lot of weight I stop taking it it wasn't working out for me Ive been off meds for 8 yrs now that I'm talking this I don't wanna gain weight my doc says it doesn't but pls help does this make you gain or lose weight????
I've been taking bupropion 300 mg xl now for 6 wks. And I just want to say that when I first started I to had  no energy & didn't want to do anything, now most of the terrible side effects are gone, & i'm doing stuff all day long that actually needs to get done along w/ doing things I love to do, like playing w/ my 2 yr old. Just try giving it some time to fully kick in. Glad I did. Thanks, aamk
is there a weight difference in wellbutrin between the name brand and the generic of it? does one make you lose weight more than the other, or one cause you to gain weight instead of the other?
Same here, Diamond. I've been on it for about 3 years and in the beginning, I lost about 15 -20 pounds. It was fabulous. I easily kept it off for 2 years. Then for some reason, I started craving sweets out of nowhere.
Now I've gained back all the weight and then some. I am wondering if I go off of it for a while and then start taking it again if it would help me to lose weight again. I never felt so good about myself as when I lost that weight. Now, I hate to go out and run into anyone. My depression is manageable, but my weight is not. Have you heard anything more about it?
I am abts to start bupropion to stop smoking and I don't want to lose weight I want to gain weight is this pill okay for me to take
I would like to take the second dose but it made my period long and the vaginal bleeding continued till i went back to 1 pill per day which i did within a few weeks of that.
1 pill causes a heavier period too but 2 pills daily was way too much.
I also seem to be gaining weight
And less driven about my eating and exercise.
My experience is odd. I was on generic Wellbrutin XL almost two years ago and weight fell off me.

I went off of it and then back on maybe 4 months ago. I expected the same. NOPE,  I have put on 10 pounds and I workout daily and have been very careful about my diet. Really, I grew up heavy and monitor my weight and what I eat. Have for decades.  In the last 4 months no matter how any carbs or calories I cut ... my weight holds or I put on some.

I even had a crazy week where I ate very little for me (and I'm not a big eater) and was stunned to get on the scale and see I put on 2 pounds that week.

I am actually getting depressed that my weight is up, my clothes are getting tight and all my normal activities to loose weight are having NO EFFECT.  

I may have to stop this drug for a while and see if my weight falls. Maybe it's not the drug, but it's the only connection I can make.
I have been taking genetic Wellbutrin for the past two years and so glad I found these posts.   I kept thinking it was all in my mind.  I have gained 25 pounds, still depressed, and have no libido.  I also cannot tolerate being in the sun.   Now, I get it....I never thought that the genetic version of Wellbutrin  is not working...even if I have to pay for it, going to switch to the real thing!
I am taking the generic and it has been 10 days, and I have lost 15 pounds already taking it. I am out of my lipo/B12 shots that I was getting, but I should be getting more soon. I do want to point out that I have also been working out and doing the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels and have been eating healthier. I have not had fast food or soda in the past 10 days either, so its probably a combination for me that has helped. I will say though, that it is much, much easier to stick to a healthy diet when I'm not stark raving hungy, and I don't have much of an appetite and no real cravings for junk. Oh, and I seem to have more energy now, which helps with getting me to work out.
i was also on the generic wellbutrin, and topamax, i lost so much weight. now i am off topamax, and half assed taken the weellbutrin, i have gained so much weight, it disgusts me.

i was prescrited it for depression, but i asked for it, bc all the other meds make u fat, and alot of people told me that this one wouldnt.
My weight has gone thru the roof since i stopped, and hav lost half y hair, which is so depressing i dont leave my housr!!!!!!! i was on combo with topamax but it didnt before make me lost my hair, so that is the wellbutrin for sure!!!!!!!!!!
I have been on Wellbutrin SR 100 2x/day for a little while now.  It's the generic version.  It's BITTER as hell... and it smells funny.  I noticed that I am gaining weight like a mofo.  I have been seriously underweight due to major stress and some other factors.  The wellbutrin seems to have the opposite effect on me that it has on all of these other  people.  It makes me TIRED.  I mean, so tired I feel as if I have taken a sedative!!!

I am screwing up at work, I feel like an empty shell.  Totally lethargic.  My sex drive is GONE....  I don't think this one is for me.  But lexapro and zoloft were WORSE.  And I am also taking Lamictal (which is a godsend) klonopin (which I wish I had never started, but works wonderfully) and Adderall (adderrall) - which has also been a godsend, however, the wellbutrin seems to negate the effects of the adderall (adderrall)!!

I was prescribed 200mg (100 2x/day) and I was only taking 100 once a day for the first 6 months.  Then, 3 weeks ago I went up to the dosage I was supposed to be taking.  I don't think it's for me, but I am afraid of what might happen if I just stop suddenly...
Your post is 2 years old, and wondering did you quit smoking and did Wellbutrin helped you? I am planning to take it to quit smoking! Thanks for your help!
I can completely identify with what it feels like to wake up horribly depressed, wishing you were back in sleepville. I open my eyes and it hits me like a ton of bricks, what will I do today? am I too depressed/anxious to get out of the house? The list of negative thoughts that invade my brain and body are at times overwhelming. I live alone, in a basement apartment and I know that does not help and I NEED to get outside, I just have a terrible time actually doing it. I will fidget or pace for an hour or so before I work up the courage to get out. Depression is hit and miss as far as meds go (I am actually BiPolar II) and I very often think they just don't work. I have been on them for so long I don't really know or remember if anything has really changed? This is my regimen;
Breakfast; 2mg clonazepam, 300mg wellbutrin, 250mg Epival
Supper; 200mg seroquel
Bedtime; 5 mg olanzapine, 2 mg clonazepam, 250mg Epival
A lot of meds, does this seem excessive to anyone? I have also been diagnosed with GAD and PTSS

It is approved for depression and smoking cessation.  Because of the potential weight loss side effect, Welbutrin is going thru clinical trials for weight loss.  I'm about to start the blind study.  I might get Welbutrin, Naltrexone or a placebo.  My question before I start the trial is, what are the side effects if I'm not depressed and don't smoke?!
Is it still working for you? I have the medication and I am kinda afraid to start...I stopped smoking in Jan. 2012 after 36 yrs without the meds.  I have lost 86lbs in two tears but I am fighting depression and have stopped losing weight..    if I started gaining because of the medacation that would really depress me any advice?
I started taking celexa for a while gave me horrible headaches. Then went to lexapro and loved loved loved it. All except my sex drive was nothing not even a little there. I love sex so I can't have that lol. Then tried vybrid or how ever u spell it. Still no change in sex drive. It also made me binge eat horribly I gained 10 pounds in a month. Now I'm on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg started on 150mg but I felt like I was on nothing at all. Was crying and sad. So they upped it. I feel pretty good could be better but I'm tired of trying diff medications. My sex drive is AWESOME better then ever lol and I have lost 9 pounds. I dont seem to think about food all the time and I'm able to control myself better. When I'm full I'm full. Side affects I have is dry mouth and constipation and some heart palpitations.
It's too much drugs my dear friend. try to visit another specialist that could help you in a better way and live a healthier life. I do not think that bunch of chemicals aree needed for anyone's brain.
Dont be too hard on yourself.  Actually, at 5' 7" your bmi says you can weigh as much at 154lbs.  125 lbs is pretty low.  You don't want to try losing weight so fast that it is difficult to keep off and if you aren't consuming enough calories during the day you will send a message to your body that it needs to go into 'starvation' mode and you will actually hold on to body fat.  1-2 lbs a week is a healthy goal for weight loss.  You are taller than most females, so you can hide few extra pounds easier.  Take a deep breath and continue to look for healthy ways to lose weight.  I am sure that you are a lovely young lady!  :)
I took generic bupropion xl for about 6 months and saw no results in my depression. I stopped taking it for about another year.Lately, I have had several severe anxiety attacks so my doctor put me on bupropion sr 300mg a day & holy cow I feel so much better. I have taken it about a month & a week now. At first the dry mouth was terrible & caused a sore throat. Then, I started shedding pounds doing absolutely nothing. I am 5'6" was 222 & now I'm at 212 all in a matter of 2 weeks. Id say this is great motivation to actually try to lose more weight. My appetite has totally disapated & I make myself eat. Before this, I was eating if I was awake. All. Day. Long. My anxiety & depression are much better.
my doctor recomended the green coffee bean pills along with the wellbutrin it is a weight loss pill that is all natural
I have been taking the generic Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for about 18 months.  I lost 25 lbs at first, but now I'm fighting binge eating and fighting to keep that 25 lbs off.  Now I heard on news about a certain manufacturer Teva that's withdrawing its version of the generic.  I think I'll go for the brand name from now on!
I have a quick question. I've been on Paxil (40mg/day is doing me great), but I have some excess weight that's been difficult to lose (I'm 242 lbs instead of 190 - 195). I'd like to lose the weight while effectively combating my depression. Do you recommend taking Wellbutrin (name brand)? I've read up on the side effects (at least in this forum), and I see they can be very severe, but I'm generally very lucky against side effects.
I am starting Wellbutrin XML and take thyroid med. how did it work for you?
Im taking it mostly for anxiety my phsycologist perscribe it to me for depression and anxiety. But everyones body is different.
Im taking it as an anti depressant & so are my family members and I think it works great. It pulled me through 5 years of depression post pardom teenage  haromones & the loss of my close brother.
Its also a great energy boost and thats coming from someone who gets up at 5 am (after getting up through out the night with a 2 month old) and not getting to bed till midnight or later while juggling school job online classes and a boyfriend and is 16.
How are you doing? I was on paxail for many years and just switched to Wellbutrin. Worried abou side effects. I have also gained 30 lbs:(
I was on Paxil for anxiety for about 2 years and gained almost 40 pounds. The Paxil was initially very helpful, however, the weight gain was not something that I was willing to deal with and the drugs effectiveness waned. I was put on Wellbutrin by another Doctor while I was weaning myself of Paxil. I lost all the weight that I had gained on Paxil (and more) within 3 months. I recently began taking the drug again for some anxiety based depression, and I am finding the same thing happening. It seems to curb any appetite. Sometimes I will not realize I have not eaten until I start to feel weak. This is NOT a good feeling either, as it is harder to go throughout my day. I'm hoping to find a balance.
My experience is very similar. I was 125 lbs when I started taking Paxil for anxiety and gained about 40lbs over the course of 2 years. I started on Wellbutrin at the suggestion of my Dr. when I advised that I no longer wanted to take it due to the horrible weight gain. Within about 5 months of taking Wellbutrin I was down to around 115lbs. I recently started taking Wellbutrin again for anxiety and depression after not taking anything for over a year. Within a week I have lost around 5 lbs. I'd rather lose weight than gain, but I also don't want to be a twig and feel exhausted all the time, which I find that I have been. Like you said, I have to remind myself to eat.
I have tried to come off Paxil a couple of times, and had "electric jolts" in my head, dizziness, and nausea.  Be sure to taper!
I started taking Wellbutrin 150mg on Dec 28th, 2012.  Increase the dosage 5 days later to 300mg daily.  within a 5 day period i start crying for nothing. my Dr. put on this to stop smoking which i stoped. Now the weight gain is out of control.  i have gain  20 pounds to this day appetite has double sweets and more sweets.
please help
I began taking Wellbutrin (75 mg x2/day) last March (2012). I lost about 20 or so pounds by July, when my dosage was increased to 300 mg extended release. By september, I had lost a total of 45 pounds. I am a 20 year old female however (19 when I started taking it), so it is rather easy to lose weight at my age. I've kept the weight off though, and now I have a hard time finishing entire meals - I get full very easily. I began taking Celexa (20 mg x1/day) in addition to the Wellbutrin a couple months ago, and haven't seen any weight gain from that. Although I did try to gain a little weight back during the holiday season because people began to comment that I looked like I don't eat. I'm very pleased with where I am right now, and go to counseling every week. I still have sever depression and severe anxiety, but I know I can overcome it, especially with the help of these drugs.
I was losing so much hair I thought I'd go bald. I mean it's really gotten thin. Just read topomax (topamax) not only causes you to lose hair, but causes the follicle to close - so you won't get any new hair growth!
I was on 60 mg of paxil daily for about 7 years.  Gained about 25 lbs, ZERO sex drive and felt as though it was no longer working for my depression. Also...I turned into a RAGING alcoholic!  I found this out after going through rehab, getting out, and days later, drinking again as much as before!  I decided to quit the Paxil, cold turkey.  NOT a good idea...brain zaps, nightmares, horrible stomach pains. But I did it...and NO cravings for alcohol anymore!  (Google paxil-alcohol cravings if this has been a problem for you...you will be amazed!!)  No paxil, extreme reduction of alcohol, and I have lost 14 pounds in the past 6 weeks!  Need to quit smoking, and still having a bit of depression.  Used Wellbutrin before, generic, lost weight and quit smoking.  Made me a bit aggressive, but then, I was in a horrible relationship.  Had lots of energy and felt VERY good about myself...maybe TOO good!  Going to ask for it again.  Just don't want another nightmare like I had with Paxil.  Paxil is the WORST for side effects and weight gain, as well as losing your libido.  good luck everyone!  And be sure to research ANY drug before taking it.  Doctors these days seem to have no problem prescribing and "upping" the dosages.  
After I had my stroke I was content to sit on the couch all day doing very little had major mood swings and was not fun to be around I would cry for no reason  and was diagnosed with depression. after being on wellbutrin  aprox 6 weeks I have lost 20 lbs without trying to. I have noticed my mood  is better and I want to be more active which I believe to be causing my weight loss.
Yes, why I got on this site, my Doc thought it would help me lose weight and quit smoking, my smoking is down but I am hungry all the time! No, not losing weight! I'm on a very low dose also maybe that has something to do with it, I'm on the Generic regular form of wellburtrin, not sure if I'll stay on it.
I started 100 mg wellbutrin sr,about 2 wks ago i also take 40 mg prozax.i was wondering how long for you lose weight and my appetite is wicked.does this subside.i do seem to be more energetic but sometimes i have weird dreams,anyone relate to this Help and thanks
I wouldn't say it's impossible to gain weight!  I've been on 300 mg XR for about 3 months, when I noticed that all of my clothes were tighter.  I unwillingly stopped the drug due to mail-in pharmacy snafu's and began to notice my weight returning to a more normal range, without intentionally doing anything to make that happen.  I think everyone is different and you must guage your response to and drug carefully.  Some lucky folks have noticed weight loss, sometimes dramatic, but that effect does not apply to everyone!
I am taking wellbutrin to stop smoking. It does help so i really need to stop soon. I dont know if wellbutrin is causing my weight gain. But i have been putting on pounds. I been trying to watch what i eat. I work in pharmacy. Girl came tonight said she gain 30 pounds on wellbutrin. I wonder if that what my problem is. I think it must very in people. It ok to try it. Just watch yourself. all meds have so much side effects. Does not mean a person is likely to have them. I was afraid to take it at first also. I would give it a try. If we search out the side affects on everything we take. we would be afraid to take anything.
I don't think the weight loss applies to me!!! :-(  Reading this forum - actually since I've started Wellbutrin, many years ago, that's when I started picking up weight and I've never been able to lose it.  The only time I was off Wellbutrin was when I was pregnant, but I obviously gained weight then and a stack too!  I had to do a massive diet to lose weight.  Also, it doesn't suppress my appetite and you can't take duromine with it for example.... Which *****!  Now I'm taking another 3 pills with this and they're all "weight neutral" or they're supposed to make you lose weight, but it's just NOT happening for me.  WTF!!!!  I don't know what to do!  The one helped for binge eating, I think it still helps to a certain extent, but it's like this - when your body gets used to it, its like it doesn't do the job anymore.  I'm thinking about asking my pshyciatrist to switch my meds, but then that's a different ball game, getting off this and onto something else!  I just really really REALLY want to lose weight and be slim!!!  Pretty sure I'll feel better then too.  Any comments?
I have fought with depression on and off all my life.  I've taken a variety of medicines.  My most recent was Celexa.  I however have a multitude of issues to factor into the equation.  First of all, depression can be more dangerous to some than others.  I had brain surgery in 2007 to remove a tumor.  After this and all the drugs they put me on I gained lots of weight which added to the depression that I already had.  About two years ago I finally managed to loose 20 pounds,   Then about two years ago started experiencing weird neurological episodes.  So fought to get answers and became more and more depressed.  I was put in Celexa and I was also put on Lamictal.  Gained back the 20 pounds amost immediately.  Then they added Lyrica to the mix.  Now... I'm on Oxtellar too.  Supposedly these weird episodes are some form of seizure (I'm not convinced)  But we found that the Celexa and Oxtellar are NOT compatible.  EEks.  So weened off the Celexa and my depression came back in a tidal wave.  Horribly  So, we found that Wellbutrin is one of the few that doesn't have an interaction issue with the Oxtellar XL  BUT now I am reading that it could cause seizures.  I'm a bit worried now.
Hi!

I'm having the same problem. I had been on Celexa 20mg for 10 years, and switched to Wellbutrin to help me quit smoking, along with the depression. In seven months I have gone from 122 to 142. I have always been able to keep my weight around 117-122, at almost 40 years of age. I do pilates 4 days a week, curves 4 days a week, and I also run. I eat really well also, and my weight will only change by two pounds!!! I am about ready to lose my mind. I think I'm going to have the doctor switch me back to Celexa.
ok guys im going from 100 to 150 bupropion ,also im taking 40 prozac,,2 0.5 clonzapam a day    any comment will be helpful
I am a little bit nervous as well.  I have been on w for 2 weeks now..I don't have much of an appitite..however..I am bipolar and this should help me..good luck to me
Those of us who take antidepressants have probably learned the hard way--through having to try several in sequence at first to find the one that works--that they don't work for everyone in the same ways, nor are there necessarily the same side effects.  
So, from reading this long stream of comments I notice that some people lose weight and some gain it on this medication.  Not so surprising--there is a lot of variation in responses to these drugs.
I just started wellbutrin I am taking 300ML a day. I am not suffering from depression and I dont smoke, but I am just hoping to have more energy and lose some weight? Is this realistic? what are some of the side effects that I may encounter?
I started taking Topamax in September 2012 for severe migraines, 30 days later, we added Prozac, 30 days later added Wellbutrin. The first month I lost 5 lbs, the second month 3 lbs, the 3rd month 15 lbs.  Since September 2012 I have lost 55 lbs and have 25 to go to reach my goal.  I am not sitting on my butt hoping the pill will do magic, I purchased a pedometer and started logging my activity level which was next to nothing when I started. Every day I pushed to walk 1 step more than the previous day.  There is no pill that is going to just magically make you lose weight. You have to want to lose it and you have to put the effort and commitment into it.  Has it helped my migraines? Yes, I have only had 2 major migraines since the beginning of my treatment.  Has it helped my depression and anxiety, absolutely.  It is without a doubt the right combination for me.  Prior to this I tried 9 different anti-d's and every one of them made me gain more and more weight.  Paxil gave me a super false sense of total happiness that even annoyed myself...but it was the worst about the weight gain.  

Wellbutrin side effects I notice.... dry mouth... I drink way more water than I ever have.  Appetite... none.  I have to 'remember' to eat.  Sex drive... at about 3 months I felt like a 17 yr old boy, but that faded away and I no longer 'have' to have it.  

I still can be me, I still have emotions, I still can cry, get mad, get sad, be happy, pissed off, whatever the moment calls for.  With Paxil, I was in laalaa land and everything was happy go lucky... Oh darn, a good friend died, I was the only one in the place with dry eyes.  

It works for me, I hope it works for you.
OMG!!! It's like reading my own story! The celexa for the past 6 years, the total lost of libido, the trying to feel good in front of the children, the sleeping and all I want is sleeping, and the weight gain, HORRIBLE, it is no way to live.The frustrating part is that some doctors, when you are depressed and start talking about how the weight gain bothers you a lot, they try to convince you that that shouldn't be a priority, or even a concern. Well, i have been on many different anti depressant for the past 7 years, and sadly, none of them made my depression better; maybe they made me float somehow and prevented me from being a total mess; also, depression though occurs from unbalanced hormones like serotonin, but one thing is for sure also: Your situation, your problems, your life etc.... are a big part of this depression. So, I want to talk to my doctor about Wellbutrin because I am suffering from major depression, and my body image is not helping. Thank you for your post and i hope Wellbutrin worked for you.
Day on on wellburtin and I have 0 appetite
Which I'm not complaining .
I was prescribed 150 mg xl as I suffer from extreme anxiety and depression
A little weight loss and higher sex drive would be a bonus :)
Is there a difference theses xl versions to others?
I just  started taking generic Wellbutrin, in all of your opinions the generic isn't as good as the real thing???
I just started 150mg Bupropion SR 8 days ago for depression, apathy, anxiety and smoking cessation. I have never taken meds before. I am 5ft9.5 tall and was149 lbs. I am now showing 144 after 8-9 days, no bloating, no cravings, a more methodical and healthy approach to meals and a reduction in smoking, as they don't taste as good and any I have are simply out of habit. I am exercising more also and generally feeling much more fit and today I actually felt slightly emotionally better. The downsides are insomnia, slight headaches and slight nausea. After initial weird feelings, I am settling into it but am supposed to increase to 300mg now. I am going to continue on 150mg a couple of weeks longer first and then increase to be cautious. Otherwise, I have not been able to lose a few pounds for several years and this med is looking like it has more than one benefit for people if it works for you.
I have read everyone of these comments and many of the comments confirm my suspicion. The wait loss or gain may be depends on whether you are taking Willbutrin XL or SR. When I first started taking it, I lost weight, felt better, had no appetite.
Subsequent months I do not feel the Wellbutrin XL is helping me at all. I asked my doc and the pharmacy whether there was a difference between Wellbutrin I was taking at the beggining and now. The answer was NO.
Reading these comments, I really believe the pharmacy may have mistakenly given me SR initially and  XL in the subsequent months. All I know the stuff I got last couple of months is not the same as what I first got. This month, I am going to get the SR to confirm my suspicion.
Hello..I see out of everyone you where on the generic wellbrutin..I am trying to quit smoking..that's why they put me on it..Did you lose weight from the generic or gain weight..I DONT want to gain anymore weight!! I have gained enough due to LUPUS..please email me at ***@****, thank you so much!!! Twila..
My Dr. put me on Paxil and I gained 12 pounds in 3 weeks and CANNOT lose it.  I would like to be on something to help my mood, but I cannot gain any more weight!  That in itself makes me depressed! My Dr. has now decided to put me on generic Wellbutrin--does this work as well as the name brand?  Is there a difference?
I just started wellbutrin sr 150 and im having headaches and blurred vision has anyone else had those same problems?
i was on phentermine i lost 60 pounds in five  months that was two years ago and  last year i held my dads hand when he took his last breath and died one day after my birthday and i got so depressed i gaind the weight back and im having a hard time getting my doctor  to give me a prescription' instead he gave me the genericprescription of wellbutrin and i have a history of seizures already
I'm female, 36 y.o. Taking bupropion sr 450 mg daily for ADD. Started in October. Four months later I'm down 20 lbs. I'm hoping to go down more (the numbers on the scale keep going lower so I seem to be).
Suppressed appetite within days of starting the med.  which is good because I was binge/emotional eating like crazy.
Negative side effects: ringing in ears but doesn't bother me really unless it's completely quiet. Dry mouth but that's okay because it keeps me drinking water all day which I need b/c I have chronic kidney stones. Occasional high bp and rapid heartbeat but I have a cardiologist and he and my GP don't seem concerned.
Positive side effects: it has done wonders for my ADD, and I'm pretty much always in a good mood. Very more at ease with everything. Sex drive has returned after being on hiatus for the last eight years or so--husband and I are loving that. Crazy energized throughout the day without crashing. I sleep just fine, whereas I used to have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep.
Overall I'm pleased with this med and hope I can continue to benefit from it.
I've been on Bupropion for about a month now. My doctor prescribed it for depression and I'm a teenage girl at only 16. I hate the side affects because I've always been paranoid but now I get super nervous and anxious and have SO much trouble falling asleep. I also feel dizzy sometimes and constipated as well as feeling mentally and physically tired all the time. I'm an athlete and this year is the first year where I've been on a break with volleyball. Now I'm just feeling like my head's in a "fog" and I can never concentrate. Problem is, I noticed when I withdrew my dosage of taking only 1 pill a day instead of 2 for the past 3-4 days I've significantly felt like I've gained weight. And so now I'm torn if I should keep taking them or not because if I don't I'll gain weight but if I do I'll have to deal with the annoying side affects. Please someone help and tell me what to do!