Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Does anyone NOT GAIN weight on Effexor or Lexapro?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Everyone  seems to always complain about large weight gains using SSRIs such as Effexor and Lexapro.  My Dr. wants me to be on one of them and I was wondering if ANYONE out there has NOT GAINED weight on them?  I won't take them if I am going to have a weight problem....been there....done that and won't do it again.  Please let me know.
Avatar n tn
On Effexor XR, I myself, did not gain weight on 300 mg a day, and neither did two other people I know whom were taking it (can't remember their doses, but was lower than mine).  I DID however lose my sex drive almost completely!  I never had an experience with Lexapro nor know anyone who did so I can't answer for that one.  Good Luck.
I took Effexor for 11 years and actually lost weight when I started it.  It leveled out over several months but I warn that now that I'm off of it, I am really packing on the weight and I feel like I have no control over it.  I have a lean frame and this is making me crazy.  I would just like for everyone to be aware of this!  It's a nightmare drug for several reasons besides that too.
Avatar n tn
I've been on Effexor 75mg for 9 months and have lost weight right from the start. I weighed about 130 pds, the most I've ever weighed, and am down to 118 now. I'm 5" 6' and considered skinny. I feel great. I've always been thin but the older I got I put on a little weight, which is gone now. My depression has deminished somewhat. Everybody I know wants to take this drug to lose weight. I guess it effects people differently. I'm happy on this drug. I guess all drugs effect different people differently.

Lee28 May 19, 2010
You have been very lucky, Everyone i know has gained thirty to sixty pounds. As long as you are on the medication you can't lose it. I finally have gone off of it and am hoping i will loose the 40. I know i am not hungry all the time like i was when i was on it
I was out on effexor 75mg for my depression plus it has been helps me lose weight as well started it a month ago and lost 20lbs already
I've been on Effexor 75 mg for 2 months. I'm 5'9" and I've lost 15 lbs since I started it. I had an obsession with food. Now I'm so busy and full of energy I don't even think about food or eating. I'm sure everyone has different experiences. I'm so focused and motivated now. I don't feel as lazy as I once was. I love Effexor so far!
mishymoshymarcy commented on Nighthawk61's status
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Track your weight over time