Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Does having hypothyroid prevent weightloss on hcg?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Hi, I heard that people on levoxyl or synthroid don't lose as well on hcg as those who don't have hypothyroidism. Can those of you who take or have taken thyroid meds post how you're doing with hcg. Not sure if going to the trouble of taking hcg is worth it for me. I'd love to hear that it doesn't affect weightloss success with hcg.  

To me, it's worth trying.

Been taking the med Levothyroxine and my weight kept going up.

Today is my 4th day and lost 3.5 lbs. According to Dr Simeons paper, he said thyroid people may not lose as much but he didn't say wouldn't lose.  With 500 daily calories, I figure how can I not lose.

My friend lost 26 lbs in 40 days. She isn't on thyroid meds. If I could lose 5 lbs on this a week, I'm in.

My goal is to get my weight down. Meanwhile get off the sweets and grease so by the time I stopped taking the injections, I have learned how I'm suppose to eat. I have IBS also and grease is not my friend.

I will be posting my weight progress on the yahoo group.

zevron

Hi there,

I have taken thyroxine or synthroid for 8 years. I weaned myself off of it this past month. I have been on the hcg protocol since Wed. and have lost 9lbs.

I think hypo folks do not lose as well and hypo folks off meds still can have problems.

I am hoping you do well,

Bitten
Thanks for your replys. Its encouraging to hear that weight loss can be achieved even if you have hypothyroidism. Sounds like you're both doing well. Way to Go!  Did either of you do a cleanse and if so for how long? I',m starting the colonix cleanse as soon as it comes in, hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow. Have a nice night! MrsTopkat
I've been on the NHW program for 5 days and have been on thyroid medication (.112 mcg) for nearly 20 years and I am currently down 6.4 lbs!!  I am so excited.  I have adhered to the program to the T, with the exception that I am only getting about 30 minutes on the treadmill every day, instead of 1 hour.

I'm a bit concerned about the weekend, because that is when I have the most trouble....but I've got plans to keep busy!

Good luck!
I am on day one of the protocol, both my hubby and I are doing this together, I would like to lose 40 and he has about 140 he would like to lose...I don't have a thyroid, but do take levoxyl 175mcg every day to live.  I know I may not lose as fast as others but if I lose I will be happy! I have lost 20lbs the old fashioned way but it has taken 6 months of hard work and calorie restriction 1200-1500 a day.  I am glad there are people on here that are hypo and having resutls...thanks for all the info, any suggestions are helpful!
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 4 years, controlling it with 50mcg synthroid. I have a total of about 36 lbs. to lose (I'm a 24yr old female).. I've been doing hcg injections for 23 days, haven't cheated at all, and I'm having trouble losing like everyone else is. So far I'm down 11.5 lbs and 6 inches (don't get me wrong... I'm happy with that) but I've been stuck at this weight for over a week. I haven't been eating red meat, grissini or Melba toast and I'm following all the tips for plateaus, and have had 3 apple days where i lost 1-2 lbs each time. I try not to eat at night and I'm drinking plenty. My doc is prescribing me b-12 an vit b complex weekly injections which is supposed to help bump your metabolism up a bit. I'm going for the 40 day protocol in hopes to lose a total of 25 on this round of hcg. Does any hypothroid people out there have any tips or are experiencing the same problems???
I hate how easy it is for some people to lose... Just trying to keep positive!!
Xo
Xo
Yes--I'm hypothyroid (newly treated) and am having a lot of difficulty losing weight on hCG. I'm on Day 22 and have lost only 10 pounds. The nurses who explained the diet to me said most people lose one to two pounds per day! Very disappointing. My doctor told me last week that he sees this as an indication I will soon need an increase in my dose of Nature-Throid (my thyroid med). He can't increase it yet, because I've only been on it for 4 weeks and he needs to check my thyroid levels when I get my blood drawn next week. He said that for now he'll be happy if I lose only 15 lbs on this diet (despite the fact that I'm following the diet very strictly). After my thyroid med dosage is increased, he said, I'll probably lose weight faster. So I will have to do a second round, it seems. Ugh. I'm tired of eating the same things every day! But I'm willing to do it, because I'm so tired of feeling fat (I had 56 pounds to lose, which I had gained in the past year).

I feel for you. If I had the choice to not have started this diet, I'd say I'd still have done it. Before hCG, losing just 10 pounds was nearly impossible.

Bet of luck to you!
I also have hypothyroidism... combined with Hashimoto's. My dosage of Armour thyroid is 90mg/day. I've had a terrible time losing weight and I'm very encouraged by the HCG combined with the Zola diet plan. I have a dr appt in 2 more days and I'm so excited to finally try something that might bring some success. I have high hopes, but like you I'd be thrilled with half of what my high expections are. I'm curious as to how you're doing so far.
hey allisone - how has your progress been since March? I'm going to be 23 in october, i've had Grave's Disease/Hypothyroid for the past 3 years.  In addition i had RAI (radioactive iodine treatment) which knocked out my thyroid completely so i'm on 112 mcg of levothyroxine (synthyroid).  I'm very nervous about starting this protocal, not because of the low calorie intake, but because of what it will do to my non-existent thyroid and if it will throw off my medicine.

Let me know how you're doing now after going through it.

Thanks - brittany s
I have hypothyroidism & i was diagnosed 6 months ago. I am trying to lose 35lbs. Since starting the protocol I initially lost weight right away...5lbs in 3 days! Then nothing :-(  i'm stuck & have been for 2 days. I did an enema this morning & an apple day today, hopefully that will do the trick. I also have been feeling like my thyroid meds are not working at all, I've been my old tired self again & I take 150mcg, i'm going to get a blood test again to see if I need an increase.
Two years ago, before I  had hypothyroid disease I did a round of hcg & the eight just fell off. Life is drastically different now.