Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Eating Disorders and Metabolism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Eating Disorders and Metabolism

I am a 19 year old female, I had an eating disorder for two years, I weighed 100 pounds until I went into treatment, since i've been out i've gained 50 pounds and i've been exercising and eating within the right caloric amounts and all the right food groups the dietician is stumped, I know that ed's slow your metabolism but it's been a year, when will it start working again, is there a doctor I can see to test it?
i am struggling with bulimia. i dieted to get my weight down and when i started to eat more, i got out of control. now i throw up because i can't seem to keep from eating. i know that some episodes are triggered by stress, but i hink the rest is because of dieting for so long. is there any advice anyone can offer, besides seeing a pyschiatrist?
I am just beginnign to recover from anorexia.
It does destroy metabolism, as does excessive dieting. Luckily, my metabolism is still on the high side of normal. Before I was diagnosed with ana. I had hyperthyroidism, causing the thyroid/metabolism to speed up at an alarming rate/number. I was put on a pill to slow it down, and in turn, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism-the slowing of the thyroid/metabolism to below normal. So now, I am on a pill to speed it up back to normal. Anyway, all that to say, that your metabolism is ruined by excessive diets.-Mostly not permanent. Getting over this eating disorder was the hardest thing I've ever done. It hurt so many people. I do go to a counselor which helps, partly. Just think  of how you used to be before you got an ed. What helped me, was I knew that when I weighed +12lbs than what I was at my lowest, I was over-joyed at looking so great and reaching my goal weight. Apparently, I was getting used to dieting, and continued on until I dropped a total of 47lbs. I know it is a different story with people struggling with bulimia, but we all had lives before ed. They may not have been good, and sometimes you think that the ed is all you have. You don't have it though. It has you. You are no longer in your body. When you look into the mirror you see your physical self, but deep down, you are gone. We are not all made to be size 0's! good for the people who are, even though at some times they may be a little bitchy (sorry) Women are supposed to have curves, and bigger thighs (even though I absolutely hate it) B/c of our ability to have babys. The weight helps us carry the baby. Skin and bones aren't pretty no matter how much me or you 'falls in love' with them at first. The longer you starve yourself, the more weight your body needs to gain to become stable. So think of it this way:The faster I get over this **** the less I have to weigh to be healthy!
Sorry if this didn't help you, but I had a good time writing it. Maybe it will help someone else. If you wanna talk more, My AIM screen name is Halo4003.
An eating disorder slows your metabolism to almost a stop.  I am a recovered bulemic (for 1 year 2 months).  It was very hard, but I was determined.  I began having heart palpatations and got very scared.  I got pregnant 2 months after i began my recovery (on purpose) and now have a 12 week old little boy.  My metabolism is still screwy.  I gained 50 pounds of which I have lost about 40 of.  I am on a balanced diet (weight watchers) and I exercise every day(but not excessive).  I figure in a year my metabolism will be back to normal as will my ideal weight.  My goal is to remain recovered and not go back to my old habits.  Good luck to you.
My dear friend talks to me constantly about her weight problems. She is very short, under 5 feet tall and has been dieting off and on for the past 25 years.  She always found that the Atkins diet worked best for her. She would drop a few pounds and be good for a few years. Then about 5 years ago, she began to gain and it didn't come off--she went on th diet and didn't come off of that either. She has been on this low carb diet for about 4 years.  I see her every week and spend a lot of time with her and I watch her eat only the meat and lettuce from a burger, roll up lunch meat and cheese around a pickle and never, I mean never, touch bread or any form of sweets. Her meals are always meat and cheese and eggs and the allowed vegies.  She hasn't had a piece of fruit in four years.  She always stays under 10 carbs a day.  Yet she is gaining weight.  She has gained about 20 pounds in the last year. It is very noticable and she is very uncomfortable. She is now in her mid fifties. Have any of you ever heard of this?
Your friend's body chemistry is most likely similar to mine. I was on the low low carb diet for several months, eating nothing but eggs, cheese, and sugar free jell-o. I gained 20 pounds and I'm in my 20's! My mom on the other hand loses weight like crazy on low carb. I don't know the answer to this.
I was also anorexic for three years.  I have tried many diets, but the only one that ever worked for me was starving myself, which I do NOT recommend. I ate nothing but fruit and sugar free popsicles and was fainting left and right.

I'm not sure how to lose weight. I went from an unhealthy 115 pounds at 5'10" to an equally unhealthy 200! I've been yo-yoing for four years to get it off, eating very little and exercising moderately and still not losing. I have had my thyroid tested and apparently it's normal. I simply cannot lose weight without starving myself! I don't know what to do! I am fed up with my body and with the ugly clothes I have to wear! Please help me!

katherine_wands***@****
You aren't losing weight because it seems like you are trying to watch your calories while having a high activity level. Even though everyone thinks this is the key to weight loss, it can actually be very damaging to your metabolism. If you change nothing about your diet at all, and just increase your physical activity level, you will become healthier and you will lose fat. Your weight might stay the same, but what is happening is that your body fat percentage is is decreasing while lean muscle mass is increasing. And the size difference between 5 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle is very noticeable. So don't look at the scale because your weight will not tell you anything about your health. As for the low-carb diet, since when are fruits and vegetables considered "bad foods"? They are the most nutrient dense foods available and should be the main source of energy for our bodies.I recommend 7-8 servings a day. And no one will ever harm their bodies by overeating vegetables. In fact, I would suggest it.I understand the struggle to overcome an eating disorder and the difficulties it creates. I was bulimic/anorexic for two years and all it did was ruin the wonderful body I had had from high school track.The best thing to do to change your mind set is to realize the truth about starving yourself:It makes you fat. In the end, that is all that it gives you. It seems paradoxical, but your body will try to keep you alive and healthy whether or not you want to be, and the slowing of the metabolism is a defense mechanism that it uses. Here are some guidelines for real weight loss that you probably won't hear very often:
-Never go more than four hours without eating
-Try to always eat when you feel hungry (i know this is sometimes impossible because of life being busy)
-Know how many calories your body needs and don't let yourself get less than that number for too many consecutive days (this is only if you really have no idea what the right number of calories feels like, ideally you should never count calories and just go by what makes you feel satisfied. Though to do this you need a really good satiety response, which most of us don't have, so go by the calories, BUT DON'T RESTRICT THEM)
-most importantly:EXERCISE. This has a greater effect than anything that you could change about your diet (unless you really aren't eating enough, then it's bad for you no matter what) But don't do stuff that makes you bored or miserable. the purpose of physical activity is to bring joy to our lives and make us feel better. You should look forward to doing it every day, not because it will change your physical appearance, but because it makes you happy and you know that you are healthy and strong.
     The best way to manage weight food-wise is to eat small, frequent meals. The people I know who do this have great bodies, and the best  part is that they will have those bodies for the rest of their lives, without suffering from starvation. To get to a healthy metabolism after recovering from an eating disorder takes a lot of discipline and hard work, and the length of time of recovery varies depending on the severity and length of the disorder. But the main change that takes place is mindset. Once you have a healthy mindset, a healthy body will follow.
Very inspiring, thank you for that.

I'm nearing 3 months of no-purging and jussst coming-off of a starvation/overexercise phase....And yeah, my metabolism is definitely caput. But I love to hear you say that it takes time, that it takes discipline...What my family always told me was just to EAT MORE and stop monitoring....and the ED-demon inside me always said "They just want you to get fat."

They were wrong and I was wrong too. Recovering and fixing your metabolism the right way means you DO have to eat more but you DO have to monitor very carefully..And do it gradually.

It's tough when you starve yourself and run yourself ragged literally, running 4-5 miles a day and barely see a change in weight. But that's the point for me where I had to say okay....I can't do this, and I cannot keep going up and down.

I'm going slow and steady and monitoring my calorie-intake carefully, being sure to slowly add a little bit more every day. This seems to help the body adjust without that massive stomach distention or dramatic weight-gain. Refeeding DOESN'T mean eating like crazy....It means slowly and carefully, it means regular moderate exercise, without obsessing over pounds. It means gradually building to a truly healthy lifestyle.

I absolutely love raw, natural food so this helps. But of course I get those random cravings for sugar - I find that it helps to avoid bad sugar and veer towards the natural sweet stuff, especially low-GI fruit mixed with the right type of protein. Sugar is okay, but I find it's tough for someone who's recovering because often our blood-sugar is all outta whack for some time....So I usually have fruit with cheese and a couple crackers as a snack. Mixing it the right way is satisfying, helps digestion(another problem we face during recovery) and doesn't cause your blood sugar to skyrocket....Thereby helping you to maintain regular eating habits.

And that's really what it is. Developing good, healthy eating habits - But in the beginning phases...It takes time. Build slowly. I always tell myself that every day is a new day, and I'm gonna make it better and more positive than the last :)