Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Effexor 337.5 Mg for 4 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Effexor 337.5 Mg for 4 years

Hello everyone

I have been on Effexor for 4 years and have gained about 40 Lbs. I do cardio every day for at least 40Min a day. I drink nothing but water that has less than 12 Parts Per Million in disolved minerals i am trying everything, and when I do cardio I sweat like crazy and still can't loose any weight. I have been in the Army for 18 years (Canadian Infantry) and I have NEVER! had such a problem loosing weight. Don't get me wrong I think Effexor has done wonders for my depression, but weight gain is a serious side effect of this drug! When I exercise it feels good! and I am in great shape, I can go for 40 Min and not even be out of breath, meaning I know I could go for a lot longer!  but the weight still stays on!  I have been exercising like I have for about 8 months now and I am still hovering around the same weight. Some nights I will step on the scale and in the morning I will be 3-5 Lbs less than the night before. JUST REMEMBER THAT WHATEVER YOU DO, IF YOU ARE TAKING EFFEXOR AND IT IS TAKING AWAY YOUR DEPRESSION AND IT IS REALLY WORKING FOR YOU, GAINING WEIGHT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.  FOR WHATEVER REASON YOU ARE ON THIS DRUG IT IS WAY BETTER TO BE OVERWEIGHT THAN GOING THROUGH THE PAIN AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, CRYING ALL OF THE TIME AND YELLING AT YOUR KIDS AND HAVING ALL OF THE HOPELESS FEELING THAT COME ALONG WITH MAJOR DEPRESSION. EFFEXOR IS A DRUG THAT SAVED MY MARRIAGE, AND MY LIFE!  IT IS FRUSTRATING AS HECK TO WORK YOUR *** OFF AND HAVE NO RESULTS. I FEEL GREAT BECAUSE I EXERCISE AND ALONG WITH THE EFFEXOR (((((( I AM HAPPY)))))))  YES, I HAVE SOME TIMES WHERE I STILL GET DEPRESSED EVEN WHILE ON THE DRUG, BUT I HAVE MORE GOOD TIMES NOW THAN BAD TIMES. (((((( JUST THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUITE))))))  DO YOU THINK YOUR KIDS WILL EVER REMEMBER THAT YOU WHERE A LITTLE OVERWEIGHT ? OR DO YOU THINK THEY WILL REMEMBER THAT DAD WOULD READ BOOKS TO ME BEFORE I WENT TO BED AND MAKE FUNNY VOICES WHILE HE READ THE STORIES?

YOU BE THE JUDGE,

IT IS YOUR LIFE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL ! GOD BLESS YOU ALL !

Chuck
I just wanted to comment here…been wanting to for some time since I had Major depressive disorder for the last 4 years.  I tried to treat it by counseling, etc.  I never took any medication because I read about all the horror stories on the internet.  Especially the stories about weight gain.  So I always declined it from my doctor.  I’m changed Psychiatrist about 4 times already and ended up with a Dr that only treats depression via Meds….didn’t know it at the time of appointment…He convinced me that my only way of treating my depression was via medication.   I decided to give it a try.  I started out on Effexor.  He said this was the most successful for his patients.  I started on the low and ended up at 125mg.  I was VERY concerned about gaining weight so I weighed myself every week.  I didn’t notice much of a difference depression wise until about the 6th week.  By the 8-10 weeks I was feeling really good.   I was amazed how well it was working.  The other crazy thing is I lost over 25 pound since I started the Effexor 3+ months ago. It is like an appetite suppressant.  Just weigh yourself every week and drinks 70 ounces of water per day. I stopped drinking alcohol too…this is a requirement not to mix the 2.  Anyway, I’m really mad that I didn’t start this years ago….  The moral of the story is don’t believe everything you read on the internet...people that go there to post are people that have had bad experiences…There is not too many people that go to the internet to complain about how great something is working!  Think about that.  My doctor also told me up front that I will have to take this medication for the rest of my life.  So I have no fears of having to wean of it.  I’m so much happier.  It made me stop drinking alcohol which I believe is better than the possible long term effects of Effexor.  This is just my experience and I'm sure other may have different experiences.  Just monitor your weight, drink lots of water, exercise 4 times per week for at least 50 minutes (elliptical trainer) using a heart monitor to keep a stable heart rate and consistent workout.  I don't eat over 1800 calories per day.  I'm a male 6’2" 195. Down from 222 on 09/22/2010.
Well I have taken Effexor for two years for Hotflashes, I have gain 20lbs weaned my self off this drug I have always wiorked out iam now over weight from taking this mess and weight won't go away.Can some tell me if I will ever lose the unwanted 20lbs