Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Effexor and Weight Loss/Gain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 201-202 comments:
Hello all,
I have been on Effexor for about 1 month now.  I was worried about wieght gain but I have lost 8 lbs so far.  I find that Effexor has given me a loss of appitite.  I had been on 3 other meds and was gaining wieght little by little.  So glad this one is different. I feel great.  Good luck to all.  
East Coast Girl
I cant believe people are gaining weight!! Effexor has changed my life! I have lost 30lbs. in 3 months! I feel great..I do agree the withdrawal symptoms are a bit much...after goin 24hrs without my medicine I felt bad. However..as long as I take it as prescribed..I have less anxiety, more energy, and continue to lose weight!
EVERYONE LISTEN UP! Effexor is not a 3500 calories pill! It is PHYSICIALLY AND SCIENTIFICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to GAIN weight if you eat less and work out more EVEN ON medication! PERIOD! PLENTY of people including myself have been on effexor and not gained anything, in fact have been able to lose by SERIOUSLY watching what you eat and working out EVERY SINGLE DAY! YES IT CAN INCREASE YOUR APPETITE BUT THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM TO CONTROL! YOU CANNOT BLAME EVERYTHING ON THE MEDICATION! IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT ON EFFEXOR, GUARANTEED
I start effexor tomorrow and i am not looking forward to any weight gain, i am already over weight, even though i have been looking over what i weight and eating smaller proportions. I have been on topamax for 2 years and it made me gain almost 30 lbs. Hopefully this will help me lose weight. Wish me luck.
I have been affected by Situational anxiety and depression for 7 or so years now. mostly due to finances and other problems that are common with a divorce. refused to let these thing end me or ruin my credit.Even though my monthly outlay of cash was within 200.00 of my income and every week I had to think of something to get by every month and Bankruptcy and government assistance were not options for me.I guess that you can probably understand my need for a medical helper like effexor. I have used it mostly around Christmas for 3 or 4 years now and I take it for 90 days or so and always lose 15-20 or so pounds and overall for the last couple years have lost 45 pounds.Well I am proud to say that as 2011 year end I have managed to pay off bills and increase my income to where I should be now able to go on without the stress and anxiety of my situation of old and hope to no longer need Effexor but I am glad to know it is there and is available for life issues that would put people in the lunatic asylum just a few short years ago.
I have missed my venfloxine(generic effezor) a couple of times and the symptoms were horrible.  If it hadnt been for my child i dont think id be here today.  I had awful thoughts and couldnt keep anything on my stomach and i already have cronic (chronic) migraines.  I broke my back a couple of years ago and became depressed with being down.  I was told that Effexor gives you a lift which makes you feel like doing more rather than lying around.  I find myself accepting my weight and calling myself the "happy fat kid". I want off it but have become so afraid to ween off.  Even with a drs help.  The drs dont tell you this when you start this drug. I am going to see a dr 5 hours away after the holidays to help me with this whole mess!

Is killing me. I should never take this drug.I can't walk on the street without and if I take it I am feeling wired. Helpppppppppppp! But i just think nobody can help me anymore.
is killing me. I should never consider to take this drug.
Thank God for this site! I have been suffering from insomnia and my MD said it was stress related and prescribed effexor.  I was scared to take it so I came here to check it out.  I have 4 kids, and could not imagine suffering through withdrawl (withdrawal) someday.  Also, I have a hard enough time trying to stay at 130 pounds let alone gain more weight.  I need to fiure something else out, Effexor cannot be the answer.
Well I have read almost every comment starting from a few years back up to 2011 end. I take Lexapro which has been a great drug for me since I have been on almost all thats out there. I have been suffering with depression most of my life and right now I am 54. Lately my depression is getting worse its not the holidays its other things and I have been trying to avoid going on other meds because Im really trying to not do that. However in the last couple of months I have been experiencing this gloomy feeling starting at around 6-7 at night. I hate the feeling it makes me feel like something bad is going to happen, or will happen, a horrible guilt feeling. xanax does take the edge off that feeling, but its gotten to the point that I know the feeling is coming and I have been taking xanax earlier to avoid the whole onslaught of it. Yesterday I went to my psych. dr., and he said my depression is getting worse and he added the effexor to take with the Lexapro,100 mg. to start. My biggest fear is weight gain, having just lost alot of weight from 255 to 175. I know I need to lose more since I want to be at 140. After reading the posts Im going to still try the effexor, but be more aware of the possibility of gaining weight. I never went on a diet when I lost weight, I changed my eating habits. Instead of three meals a day I eat 6 smaller meals a day. No soda, no alcohol, no red meat, staying away from to much sugar and carbs, carbs turn into sugar. Exercise is important, as well as staying active. When I started feeling better instead of turning to food I turned to other things, hobbies, group activities, in my case I volunteer at my church and help people who dont have food, get food. I also agree that medication does affect everyone differently. So if you try something and you dont feel it working let your doctor know right away. I wouldnt to presume to try and tell anyone they shouldnt take any medication, we are not doctors. I pick up my script up today, and I will start it. If it doesnt work I will let my doctor know, and quit it. I have quit many antidepressants that havent worked. Im not going to take a pill if its not working. But I encourage everyone to try a medication if your doctor says to and stop if it doesnt work and let your doctor know. I wouldnt try or stop any medication based on what is being said on the internet. I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New  Year. Remember the reason for the season, and if it wasnt for the Lord I personally wouldnt be where I am at today. If anything He is also a great antidepressant.
Yes, I agree. My sister gained a lot of weight and I lost weight on effexor. It's different for everyone.
I got the generic one because I also have no insurance, it was only $14.00
I found this discussion after looking for a correlation between effexor and weight gain.  I am glad to see I am not the only one.  I started taking the generic version of effexor (venlafaxine) about a year and a half ago after experiencing prolonged post partum depression.  It had been a year after giving birth to my fourth child.  I was steadily losing the baby weight.  As soon as I started taking this pill I havent lost a pound since and only gained.  I'm 32 yrs old and in the past have had issues with bulimia and anorexia, but for a long time i've been on a good course of diet and exercise.Now the only thing making me depressed is my weight and lack of libido.  When i started effexor i weighed 155 and now i'm at 172.  I'm not a couch potato.  I have 4 four kids between the ages of 3 and 8.  I do zumba twice a week and cardio and weights other 2 days.  I cook at home from scratch, no processed crap.  I've had blood work and tests done, thinking it was my thyroid, but its not.  The only thing thats left is that pill.  I have decided to come off this med and see how it goes.  I am fearing the side effects, because I've experienced them before when I went away for a long weekend and forgot to take my meds with me.  Thank you to all for sharing.  I will post again with any updates.
     Good morning bubelh, I enjoyed reading your comment . My situation is a little different only because I wasn't on effexor for deppression but for menopauseal relieve,hot flashes and night sweats. When I started taking the medication I weighed 139lbs. had my 2nd olvary removed because there was a very large tumor(size of a 8 mo. 0ld fetus) attached to it and I thought that tumjor was the reason for my belly swelling up so big,by the way I'm 55 yrs old, since having it removed in 2007 and going on effexor @ that time I now weigh 212lbs , it makes me sick to my stomach that after being in excelent shape all those previous yrs I would become so unattractive. It doesn't make me depresses just angry,& I've decided to do something about it. 1st things 1st I have an appointment with my Dr. to ween off this med ( I also tried to just stop taking without any luck same symptoms as every one else).Then I think to regain my strengh back I'm giong to start walking and increase my distance a little every day with some resistance traing as well. I will keep every-on posted on success.
If it don't work I will keep trying until I find something that does.
Good luk to all   AJ
Not taking a drug because it MIGHT make you gain weight could backfire on you. You really can't tell what effect a drug will have on your weight until you try it. Everyone is different. I've been on venlafaxine for a year at a relatively low dose and I've lost 40 pounds without even trying. It seems to reduce my appetite, but not so much that I'm not eating and enjoying my food! I was on Ritalin about 10 years ago and lost 20 pounds in a month, which was not healthy or fun...
Hi All,

I completely sympathize with those of you who had tremendous weight game and horrific withdrawals.  I have been on effexor xr for almost 4 years at 75 mg a day.  I have gained about 40lbs and the past three months have been working out 5-6 days a week for 1 1/2 hours and have lost 5 lbs.

I was an athlete in high school and weighed 120lbs.  At 25 I weighed 135 and looked great.  After being on Effexor I now weigh 170lbs and feel so unhappy with my body.  I am only 29 and cannot get the weight off.

I have tried twice to come off this medication and the withdrawals were debilitating.  Just like mentioned in earlier posts, I experienced brain zaps, cold and hot sweats, nightmares, nausea, and muscle aches.  

I finally went to the doctor and found a plan to taper off the medication for 3 weeks.  I will be rotating the 75mg to 37.5 everyday for one week, then 37.5 everday for a week, then finally 37.5mg everyother day.  Then done! I know the withdrawals will still be difficult as I've been on this medication for so long, but I'm excited to get off of it and get my old body back.  Good luck to everyone when coming off this medication.  Exercise has made such a difference during the times I have not needed any medication!
Thank God for this website! I'm 18 I was diagnosed with depression when I was 15, I was on Prozac for a long time until recently it started to make me gain weight so my doctor put me on venlafaxine and it helped me loose weight at first but I'm gaining weight like crazy now. I've been eating hardley anything but dinner and it looks like I have a pregnant belly, I'm always getting asked when My baby is due! It's super embarrassing. I didn't know what was wrong so I looked things up and found this, feel so much better now. I go to the doctor this month so hopefully we can find a solution.
My Dr just  prescribed me to Effexor; I start taking it as soon as I wean off Viibryd.  I was first prescribed to Zoloft which did not do anything then Viibryd which sucked, it made me crave junk food sooo much and did not help with depression.  I'm 5'8 very athletic weigh 170 and have 7% bodyfat.  I definitely have body image issues.  The reason I finally realized I was depressed was when I had to start forcing myself to workout.  WHile on Viibryd I gained 10 lbs and it was 100% due to my disgusting increased appetite for junk food (I was never full).  Needless to say I ended up doing a ton of research, literally went through every legitimate antidepressant/depression forum, and found Effexor to be the best option of SSRI/SNRI when it comes to gaining weight.  Prob like 70% of feedback was positive; people who exercise regularly but lost interest from depression, claim it made them enjoy it again and actually want to exercise.  Most people either lost weight or stayed the same.  I'll post my results in a few days when i start it.
I have been on Effexor for three years.  Although it has helped tremendously with my anxiety and depression, I have gained 60 pounds!!!  It has been nearly impossible to get it off.  I went from a size 4 to a size 12 and I HATE MY BODY!!  I am going to talk to my doctor about coming off of it.  I know the withdrawal is awful because I have missed a pill before and had horrible zapping/dizzy shock feelings through my brain to the point that I thought I was having some kind of seizure activity.  I dread going off of it for that reason, but I cannot stay on it due to my weight.  I refuse to look the way I do and not be able to do anything about it.
Hey guys,
I just wanted to let the people on here know that everyone is different and their bodies respond differently to certain medications. You need to go by what your doctor says and what your body is telling you. My three cousins have gained a tremendous amount of weight while on this drug and are finding it very difficult to lose. It is mostly because they have insane cravings for junk food. This could be because they are no longer depressed and aren't so stressed that they can't eat. Those who lose weight might be the ones who eat more when they are depressed, so they lose weight when they aren't. We just have no way of knowing what the body's response will be. I used to hate the idea of antidepressants, but I will never doubt my need for them again. I am on Wellbutrin and have lost 17 pounds in the last year. I am glad that the weight loss has been gradual, because it will be easier to keep it off. I was a stress eater and had to have food in my hand at all times or I became anxious. Now, I am able to eat and be satisfied. I don't think about food 24/7 anymore. When I was on lexapro, it was the opposite, all I could think about was food. Just give what your doctor says a try, even if it is effexor. If it doesn't work for you, talk to your doctor. Communication is very important. Your doctor will understand that weight gain can lead to further depression...if he/she doesn't, find a new doctor.
Thanks for the time frame to expect this weight to come off after quitting Effexor. You said 6 months. I took Effexor for 8 mos.
I've been off for 2 , and still nothing(re weight loss). I gained 20 lbs on this in 4 months!  Brought me to 142 lbs. The heaviest I'd ever been in my ENTIRE life (high school) was 127. Im 39 years old. Now I'm 142 lbs. Wtf? Weight neutral they say? Up urs
!( at shrink)  "well it getting older..." We GRADUALLY get older.  ie You don't go from 16yo to 50 yo in 2 months!  The Medical Community needs to come off their high horses.
I read from another lady (also my age, weight, and healthy lifestyle) ) who goes off and on Effexor . She said its always 3-4 months for weight to normalize and that it just rolls off. If I don't see some improvement at 4 months I'm getting thyroid checked. On a positive note- Effexor DID zap my anxiety. So kudos there. It's unfortunate this weight came with it. Thanks to all on this board for sharing.
Ive never had a weight problem. I was on Lexapro for years and it never caused a bit of weight gain. It was truly a miracle drug. 2 years ago, it stopped working and I had to find a new antidepressant. I tried Wellbutrin, zoloft, cymbalta, but nothing worked until Effexor. I didn't think much about weight gain, I have always had great control over my weight. I was taking Effexor with abilify. I started gaining weight with no change in eating habits. It was apparent that my metabolism changed. I was taken off abilify and put on a new treatment addition for depression -- levothroxizine. I had my weight down a little. Then I blew up in a matter of weeks. Going from 120 to 138 in 7 months. I am ashamed to leave my house. None of my clothes fit and I am more isolated than ever. My breasts, arms, back and stomach have become so big. I also have become lethargic.
Not only don't I eat more or have a bigger appetite, I follow a rigid diet. It's as though my metabolism is non-existent. Even with a thyroid medicine and Dexedrine add medicine which speeds metabolism on its own.

I have come to believe that it is the Effexor. My Weight gain is so severe that my quality of life is pitiful. I don't want to have sex with my fiancé because I feel so unattractive. It's been months. I stopped leaving my house altogether. Exercising in my home mini-gym. The problem is the Effexor works.

I am so unhappy. Has anyone successfully switched meds from Effexor to another anti-depressant and lost weight?

The suckiest part of this side effect of Effexor is that you lose your appetite but gain weight.  I have been on Effexor for 6 yrs. now (37.5mg), and I eat the least amount of food that I have ever eaten in my life, but gained 30 lbs. and weigh 205 now!!!  I've also read (on the warnings label) that it can actually make you anorexic!!!  Think of that, a fat anorexic person!  But hey, I guess anythings possible, right?! LOL!
Anyways, if you can, please avoid taking ANY prescription drugs--Especially psychological drugs!
My Doc. just precribed me the generic form of Effexor XR, It's called Venlafaxine hcl er 75 mg cap. It was $145.00 but My insurance covered it. If you get an rx card from cvs or even through an online source for free it can cut the price in half. My Doc. said it will give me energy and help me lose weight as well as help my chronic pain and depression. Good luck :)
I started on 75mg of effexor5 years ago, then upto 150mg, then to 300 and then finnally upto 450mg per day for several years. During this time I also took lomax for 12 months and a small dose of Zyprexa 2.5 - 5mg for about 3 years. Over time the effexor became less and less effective and eventually even the 450mg was doing nothing. Doctor changed the 450mg of effexor for 150mg of Prstiq.
While on effexor I gained 20KG over all. I especially gained weight while taking effexor and Zyprexa together. I have stopped the Zyprexa as I thought that it was responsible for the weight gain and refuse to take it.
My psyc has told me that it was more then likely the high dose of effexor that caused the weight gain and not the small dose of Zyprexa.
I am still on the Pristiq and Zoloft in the am and now trying Tegretol at night. I am sick and tired of taking all these medications and pumping chemicals into my body and my bipolar does not seem to get any better.

I wish there was just one tablet to treat this condition. I tried Respiridone, Side effects nearly killed me, Tegretol doesn't seem to be doing much. Now having liver problems from all the chemicals it has had to cope with over last few years.

The only time I ever felt good was while taking Zyprexa. It is a miracle drug and kicked in after only 2 days. Thinking about dropping everything else and just taking Zyprexa.
I spoke to the ER doctor and he said Effexor is what they give to treat anorexics, it slows down your metabolism to almost nothing.  I've been off it for 3 months and still can't lose the 20 pounds I gained with it even on weight watchers and running 4 days a week.
It won't matter anyways.  I worked out 5 days a week, once with a trainer and I still gained 20 pounds in 3 months.
I started on Effexor 150mg XR during the midst of a long bout with depression and my third spin on Rx roulette. My partner and I are very much geared toward healthy living: we hardly drink or go out to eat. Additionally, I have been working out almost every single day, while continuing to eat a balanced diet and increasing my water and fiber consumption. I have gained weight--40 lbs. My sex drive has evaporated. But, I am chemically incapable of feeling bad about myself, which is a positive change, mostly with the help of a great outpatient program and DBT skills, too. I would love to unpack all weight that I've gained. However, my spin on it is that being thinner isn't going to mean anything unless you're happy.
I am grateful to have found this site, because I've been wondering how in the world I can eat well, train 5x per week for competitive athletic events and be in the best shape of my life, but still gain weight (and not just through muscle).  I'm not up an extreme amount, but I've gone from a size 8 to 10, and the opposite should have happened with all of the calories I'm burning. I've been on 150 mg of Effexor for 2.5 years now, and that's probably why!!  I really want to get off it, but know how challenging that will be, so I'll take a tapered approach...though I'm very scared of going back into the hole that Effexor so wonderfully helped me out of.  I live in WA, and there just isn't enough sun here for me to feel like my "normal" self.  I probably need to try light therapy or some other alternative.  Most of all I don't want to lose the motivation to keep training.  Any advice is appreciated.  
Hi Joscie,

Please be really careful with tapering off Effexor. The withdrawal effects can be really ghastly. Apparently it can be helpful to take Fluoxetine to ease the side effects, and then stop the Fluoxetine (which doesn't have such bad side effects). Anyway, check with your Doc about this.

I was up to 150mg and then down to 75 for about a year and a half all up, I tapered off before I knew about using Fluoxetine to help, and it took me months, and I still really suffered for a couple of months at the end. Brain 'zaps', dizziness, bloating etc. I've been off them for a few weeks now but strangely (and I've been eating less, not more), my belly is all swollen and it's soooo uncomfortable in my clothes! Don't know if there's a connection, but hoping it will go away!

Get off Effexor if you can, it's a nasty drug.
My Dr. just started me on effexor today and stated it was a dietary supplement. After reading all these blobs im beginning to get worried. Is there anyone that HASNT gained weight for it?
there is now a $4 commitment card you can obtain. Its not on the $4 "list but there is a discount card sponsored by phisor, the maker. I just did mine and was looking for feedback about weight gain and ran accross your post.

EFFEXOR XR® Cost | Co-Pay Program go to www.effexorxr.com/

Find information on the Effexor $4 co-pay program and help lower the cost of your Effecor XR prescription.
Phew, I am glad I found others that have experienced the same phenomenon.  

I train fairly consistently with heavy weights (strength focused).  I have been on Effexor for well over 5 years and have been at the  dosage of 150mg for at least 4 of them. I am not sure if this is relevant to the discussion but I was put on Effexor initially because of being diagnosed suicidal, uni-polar, and having low-grade depression.  I have gained at least 20 Kg while I started my prescription but I can't quote exact numbers.

About a month ago, I started missing days of taking the medication due to a change in my daily procedure.  If I accidently missed 2 days in a row, my body would remind me at work where I became disoriented, dizzy, and develop a pulsing head ache but I didn't notice any mood alterations so I decided that I wouldn't stress about it too much.  (my job is within software development so I wasn't putting others at risk)

I then started 'digging' the withdrawal symptoms (besides the headaches) as being disoriented and dizzy makes your day kind of interesting so I stretched out the days I wasn't taking the medication.  

Now I have been off the medication for at least 1 week, and although I am still experiencing dizziness, the headaches are gone and the effects are diminishing steadily.  I also noticed an increase in focus at work (even better than when I was on the medication)

What I did notice however is that I am dropping weight at an expedited rate and my strength is for the most part maintained.  I.E.  the strength loss is not proportional to the weight loss.

Please note that I see my doctor so infrequently that I didn't bother notifying her.  (I only see her yearly where I get renewed for 4x90 days of 150mg).  

I DO NOT recommend what I am currently doing to anybody and you SHOULD NOT follow what I have done without consulting a medical professional well versed in anti-depressants.  I just wanted to read about other's experiences and relate my own.  Please note that my knowledge in anti-depressants is next to nothing and all I did was pop the pill to get me through the day

Currently 43, overweight at 110kg.  My comfortable weight is 90kg (muscled from natural strength training for at least the last 20 years)
I started taking Effexor 3 months ago.  At that same time, I joined Weight Watcher's, because the extra weight was part of my depression.  I made up my mind to fix my body and soul!  I have been following the program exactly, exercising, etc.  I am happy to report that I have LOST 20 pounds since Sept 17th!  I have to wonder if the people who gain weight on the drug are just feeling so much happier and better about things that they eat more?  I'm curious if they feel ravenous while taking the drug?  It has not been the case for me, actually the opposite.  I DO still enjoy eating, but I'm not so preoccupied with it, AND I can control my portions and snacking much better.  I just wanted to add this comment, since so many were talking about the horrible weight gain on the drug.  I am doing great!
I would like to note something since I have been on effexor for 3 years and  it is probably something many of you are overlooking. Instead of thinking, "does it cause weight loss or gain?" think- both. When I started I lost 20 pounds in 2 months... the new drug in my system, the NRI effect, energy, etc killed my appetite. THEN after another year, I got used to it ans started to gain.... I gained that 20 plus another 20. I CANNOT get this off. I have tried to 'pop' that stimulation period by jumping from 300 to 75, then the reverse. NOTHING. I have decided the only way to lose it is to go off. But for those that lost weight- I did too, at first.... give it a few years.
I'm sorry but you are SO wrong! Look at all the other comments on here, and you will see that about 95% of people have GAINED weight from taking Effexor!!  I gained about 30 lbs. the first year I started taking it, without any lifestyle or diet changes (well, actually, I DID try and eat Better!).  Also, the worst part about it is, it makes you lose your appetite, so you are actually eating LESS, but you GAIN more weight because it slows down your metabolism.  This drug is AWFUL, and now I'm hearing that a lot of doctors are trying to push this drug off as a 'dietary supplement'!  Doctors are paid well to push drugs from greedy, uncaring, selfish pharmaceutical companies, you know...they get BONUSES from selling the crap!  It's true..I've done TONS of research on the topic, and not to mention, have personally been on Effexor for about 5 yrs. now..I can't get off it because it IS addictive, like crack.  Please be careful and try to rely on natural alternatives, instead!  Don't believe these so-called doctors..they ONLY care about making their $150,000/yr. salaries!
When you went of effexor cold turkey you had nasty withdrwal, but did you stay of or did you go back to the docter to wean off?
I have been on Effexor, low dose (75 mg), for almost a year. I have lost about 15 lb. - 20 lb., now weighing in at 110 lb. I am 55 years old, 5'5" and I exercise regularly (2X a week at the gym and 3X a week at yoga, which helps immeasurably with my lupus and fibromyalgia). I love food, and enjoy eating, but now find myself much better at stopping when I've had enough. I don't know if this is the Effexor. I think I am not eating for emotional reasons anymore, at least most of the time. I have always battled with my weight, tending to be on the heavier side. Right now, I feel I am exactly where I should be, weight-wise, even if my BMI is a little on the low side. I plan to ease off Effexor this spring, and to continue with the wonderful counselling that has helped me understand and find ways to deal with the life/health issues that drove my long-term depression. I am grateful for where I am now, and have deep sympathy for those who have experienced weight gain as a result of a drug that was necessary for their well-being. We -- me included -- are so focused on how people look on the outside. Really, what matters is the beauty inside. And being healthy. Best wishes to all.
I don't know of anyone that has lost weight on it, but everyone i know has gained it including me, anywhere from 33-60 pounds. I gained 40 have been off it a week and hope i can take the weight off. It may be good for anxiety but terrible in every other way.

I recently have been switched from Cipralex (SSRI) to Effexor (SNRI), to manage my major depression and anxiety that has been ongoing for the last 5 years.

And while I was on Cipralex, I had the worst experience and symptoms, which were: weight gain, periods of highs and lows, vivid dreams, cold sweats, irritability, etc. As for Effexor, I have yet to experience any negative side effects. It literally has done wonders for me personal. I've been able to lose weight, mental clarity, surplus amount of energy, mental focus, etc. And I'm currently on the low dose, 37.5mg.

It is nice to know that you experience the same symptoms. I have been on Effexor for many years and it has helped me. Although I have gained weight some is atributed to bad eating habits. I have successfully lost weight on Weight Watchers and it will be a lifetime battle. When I started on Effexor I was depressed and major anxiety. I had a stressful job, a marriage break up and a new relationship and those things contributed to a breakdown. I was off work for 3 months. I wasn't sleeping and couldn't deal with all the stress in my life. I did go off of hit and all the asexual symptoms, sweating went away. Then I was prescribed prednisone for a bad chest infection and again was not able to cope. Apparently Prednisone can cause anxiety in people. I have been on 175 for 3 years and would like to come off. My dr. and I have discussed it and we will wait for a few planned stressful occasions to be over. It is hard to feel that I was once a strong, independent woman and now can't handle stress anymore. I really feel that adrenal fatigue has alot to do with it although can't prove it.
I gained 30 pounds in 4 months on paxil. That was 13 years ago. I still haven't lost it :|
Hi, I was wondering if you have experienced any positive weight loss since your last post?  Have you heard from other's experiences?  Please email me at ***@****
Lynne
AstraStarr, how about an update? Are you completely off the Effexor now, and have you seen any significant weight loss? I've been on it for 8 years and gained 40 lbs. I started tapering off a month ago. The withdrawal has triggered some bizarre and very intense cravings so I'm not seeing any weight loss yet and I don't expect to until I get completely off it. How are things going with you?
I too gained 35 lbs within about 8 months on Effexor and if I went in between refills would get body aches and like restless leg syndrome. It was miserable. Then when I finally went off it was like I had a week long flu! But the body aches lasted nearly 2 weeks! And I can't lose the weight either very depressing to say the least. This stuff should be banned.
I have only been on effexor xr for 6 months, going from 37.5 to 75 to 150 once daily.  I am so sorry for all of those that have experienced weight gain (as someone who has battled her weight since puberty 35 years now), I know that weight gain alone is so depressing.  However so far my experience with Effexor has been awesome, I have lost 30 lbs and feel better about myself than I have in 8 years.  I find myself not obsessing about food and fairly uninterested in it, and now that I have had weight loss and positive feedback I finally have the willpower to make better food choices.  We are all different and process meds differently, don't give up hope....there is something out there that will work for all of you.
Hi, yes my doc put me on Venlafaxine (sp?) wich is the generic for effexor and yes I can say that it helped change my life. It made me fell, as best I can describe it, normal. Like I wanted to do stuff not just hide in my house. I actually lost some weight when I first started taking it. My main issue was the first 2 days I took it. It kinda put me in a manic style state, like I was losing my mind, now I know that sounds bad but after the 3rd day it was fine and now I dont know how I thought my life before was living. Now I will say there was a "sex" issue but not like impotence but kinda like it was hard to climax, still felt great but after 2 hours one of us was about dead lol. I explain it like this - its like winning the lotto but not getting to spend it.
i have been on effexor for a few years and i found there was no weight gain at first, BUT then after they got my mood stabilized I couldn't lose weight. I was over weight when I went on BUT it eas and all over weight. After a while I started gaining weight just around my mid-section. I look like I am about to have a baby and am now off Effexor and yes it was a horrible detox to come off the medication. I am not on anything as of yet but I appreciate finding out I don't want an SSRI either. Anyway I am looking into a new medication but haven't found anything else as of yet....I wouldn't go on Effexor if you are trying to lose weight my doctor told me it was not one of the side effects either but let me assure you it is it is not from and increase in appetite. I have been aware of my weight for some time but now i weigh more then after i had my 5 kids
I'm on Effexor as well...and in response to what feels like your heart racing could actually be your heart just working overtime because your dehidrated...also it could be low blood pressure. But it does "feel" like you're heart is racing....I just started back on effexor because I've gained 20lbs in a few months(which I've strangely done before), along with depression relief, I'm hoping to lose weight. The last time I had started effexor I dropped 17lbs in a month in a half....hoping that will happen again. To fight off any side effects I'm going to stay hydrated with water...no soda
Viewing 201-202 comments: