Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Exercising for 6 weeks with no weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

I'm 47, 5 ft 1 in and weight 132 lbs. I've got a double-chin, pot belly, thick through the waist, and the beginings of jowls on my face. I've been exercising for 6 weeks now; about 30 minutes a day using a Mini-Stair Stepper 4-5 days a week.  Believe it or not, those little things can make you work up a sweat.   I usually eat Oatmeal for breafast, either a Heathly Choice or Lean Cuisine for lunch and then dinner.  I drink at least 32 oz of water a day.  We eat dinner usually before 6:30 pm and I don't snack afterwards (that is a hard habit to break).   In 6 weeks, I've not lost one pound! I don't add salt to my meals and we don't cook with it, either.  I wake up in the morning and most of the time and my face and eye lids are puffy and my fingers are swollen.   The swelling does go down as the day goes on.  I read labels and don't buy products having High Frutose Corn Syrup as an ingredient.  Am I expecting too much too fast?  It makes we wonder why I bother since exercising doen't seem to be making a difference. This has gotten me so down, I'm too the point of just giving up.
dont give up! read on those labels and see how much sodium is in the healthy choice meals. maybe you need less water or a little more salt? maybe you are putting on muscle (it weighs 4X more than fat) so if you are losing fat but gaining muscle... how do your clothes feel, any looser? you know that as we age our matabolism slows down and it can take more to get it going again. i couldnt tell from your name if you are male or female sorry. men and women require different calorie intakes. maybe you need to eat more? eating too little especially with exercise, can cause your body to hold on to any fat resources you have for fear of starvation. oprah's nutritionist Bob Greene has a book out, he seems to be very knowledable in how to eat. maybe check that out. also make sure you checked with your dr to see about your health before dieting.
I guess I should have included the fact I was a woman, that probably would have helped.  I've been small all my life and really didn't ever have to exerice to keep my weight down until now.  My sister on the other hand, has always had to struggle to keep her weight down.  Now I know how she feels.  It never occured to me to consult my doctor first, but since my BP and my weight are about the same, that is a very good suggestion.   My pants are a bit loose in the behind, but it's my belly and double-chin that bother me the most.
Try going to the Oprah site and read about Dr Oz.  
He says one of the biggest mistakes dieters make is to dramatically decrease their calorie intake.
Instead, you should only cut your calories by 100 a day.
You can do a lot better than those Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals.  They don't even taste good.  It only takes a few minutes to steam a few fresh veggies or cut up a piece of fruit.  You need more protein and fiber too.  Keep going, you will see results.  If you read the book, You on A Diet, they talk about why people don't lose weight at first.
Do see your doctor.
Read about your hormones, they definitely impact your weight loss ability at perimenopause.  Try Christiane Northrup's books.
Good luck!
Belly fat and the double chin thing can be pretty tough.  I'd agree that a good, complete check up by your doctor is the first place to start.  Some people need lipo after they are down to their goal weight, to deal with the belly/chin issue.  

YOU SHOULD CHECK msg AND OTHER ADDITIVES IN FOOD. I am hypothyroid and used to be puffy too. used to think for years it was due to salt; almost eliminated but still was puffy. Then understood that something in ready buy/restaurant food made me more tired and puffy. Turned out that I am very sensitive to MSG (it is everywhere). I can have as much salt now without any puffiness as long as I watch for MSG and other preservatives. I feel that my thyroid made me more sensitive to particular foods (mustard, horseradish, soy, strawberies, peaches, etc). It always results in puffiness; I always tend to retain a lot of water. That might be your prblem with weight. People with low thyroid tend to retain water which affects weight (and size). (when I am puffy my cheen is doubled brr) Is constipation on your list of symptoms too?
Try exercising at different times of the day to see if that will trick your metabolism. Maybe after dinner would be best.  We seem to eat more late in the evenings anyway. Just like one of the comments say sometimes our minds tricks our body and goes into starvation mode and just want allow the fat released.  Hope I am explaining that right.  64 oz of water a day is what every clinic recommends and Weight Watchers.  Some recommend half your body weight and ounces of water so 64oz would be the amount for your weight! I find that I still treat myself with an indulgent and my body thinks I am not dieting or cutting back you know what I mean...

Good luck - hang in there.
try more real foods, cook your own food.. personally i cut calories. about 300 not 100 but i dont weigh anywhere close to what you do. the biggest thing i would say is stop with the scale and find a pair of pants that are lose that werent before that or measure waist and the places you want to cut down on. also again cook your own food you can sometimes even do it the night before heathly choice, all those things are sometimes not so heathly as they claim to be.
This breathing will help lose weight slowly.
Drink a glass of water before doing the breathing.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for maximum of 30 minutes. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Position: sit on the floor or chair
How long: upto 30 mins twice a day

Try it and then ask any questions.
Good luck
You can try to go ahead and change what you are eating. If you burn off all of the calories that you eat in a day, then you will loose weight.  I know that oatmeal has more calories than lets say a piece of fruit or something like that. Also, if you  stop eating the lean cuisen? dinners-they are already made and have additives in them. Try eating fresh fruits and veges and things that were meant for your body to use to make energy. Not go vegtarian or anything, just try to eat things that are not pre-made and don't have those additives in them. Try it for a week and still do your exercises and see what happens. Just eat things that are natural.Good luck.
I was in the same boat that your in now. I cut my calories down to 1500 a day and was exercise for 90 minutes a day every day. I found I was not losing any weight. Then this past January as a last ditch effort to lose the weight I join weight watchers on line. This allows me to track what I'm eating and track my activities.  first day I start off with a weight of 226 pounds on 5'7' frame. After one week of eating balance meals and exercising I weighed in at 223. This week I weighed in at  221. I have lost a total of five pounds but its progress. There are plenty off discussion threads , inspiration and helpful articles. please with the results. I hope this help.

try the apple patch diet
www.applepatchdiet.com/17039

What do you have to loose...Weight
www.applepatchdiet.com/bt17039

Just correcting the website I gave you