Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Gastric bypass gone wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Gastric bypass gone wrong

My daughter had gastric bypass surgery 8yrs.ago Her first surgery went wrong when they snipped her spleen then they had to restaple her because of a leek. Well since June 07 she has been in the hospital, Dawn (my daughter) has been out of the hospital of maybe 4wks since she went in .She suffers from severe malnutrition  dehydration. She surgically had a feeding to put in because the doctor has said she may never be able to eat or drink again for the rest of her life. Right now Dawn weighs 89 lbs. and yes she is in the hospital. Dawn has had to be recessatated she has had blood tranfusions been put in ICU .She had to have surgery for a leak she had in her fistula. She is not getting any better. She is now in the hospital for severe chest pain and retaining fluid in her ankles and hands. She is very weak .She is having pain in her hips legs plus she is to weak to get out of bed and is very depressed. So my question is can Dawn life like this or is she dieing a very slow death?
First,  I am sorry for all that has happened to your daughter and for the pain you also are experiencing. I am reading your post almost a month later. How is your daughter? I too had gastric bypass surgery 10/03. I have done great except for the problems the excess skin friction has caused. ( fungal infections) This is nothing though compared to what Dawn is going through. A friend also had surgery and she lost the weight so rapidly and the way she explained to me, her brain couldn't process something. Her B/P bottmed alon with her heart rate. She had pacemaker implanted and now doung much better. No swelling or chest pains.To me seem like what your daughter is experiencing is Adult Failure To Thrive. Even with the feeding tube if she is not metabolizing the food she is not gaining wt. or getting the nutrients. Not sure what the MD's have told you or if you are only seeking an answer from MD's. Please I do not want to discourage you, but I feel you somehow know the answer to the question you asked. I can only tell you from my experience as a hospice nurse, even when the patient had a feeding tube and continued to loose wt. or failed to gain weight, they had a diagnosis of adult failure to thrive. Yes, from what I have experienced, this is a slow death. I do not want to sadden you and maybe I should have not even responded. I saw there were no responses. I felt led to read and also felt led to respond.With my patients, When the feedings were given through the tube and the patient could not metabolize the feedings, then they would begin to retain fluid in the hand, feet and on upward the legs to the abdomen. Please what has her doc. told you. Is she fully aware of what is happening. Does she want to continue to receive the feedings. Are they makij=ng her feel any stronger and has there been any weight gain that can be measured aside from the fluid retention? So many questions, I know. My heart aches for you. I wish I was near and could give you a big hug and let you know I truly care about how you are feeling and what you are going thru as well as what your dgtr is going thru. Please keep me posted on how your dgtr. is doing and also on how you are doing. Prayers for you and your dgtr.   Madlyn