Weight Loss Alternatives Community
HCG Diet after Total Thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

HCG Diet after Total Thyroidectomy?

I will be having a total thyroidectomy and I'm afraid of gaining a lot of weight. My question is.....is it okay for someone without a thyroid and on thyroid medication to go on the HCG diet and actually have weigh loss results? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,  
                I have Graves and I had my thyroid removed ,with total dieting and a hour of serous exercise, I managed to keep my weight off for 5 years!  During my illness and after radiation, I gained 30 over a years time being on steroids, so I was miserable! My body and appearance was extremely important for my job.....Anyway ,YES dieting did get me back into my skinny jeans! Unfortunately, with a lot of bad  emotional circumstances  this last  2 years ,I gained 23 pounds back:( and now I'm in my mid 30's it's harder,I have less willpower , I'm trying to get more information on HCG! Everything I read about it is a  YES it's fine for thyroid patients ,you should talk to your Endocrinologist about getting the dosage of your hormone correct and also FYI make sure they don't just give you a T4 replacement ,T3 is important to look at too! I will keep on researching  HCG and I'll let you know if I can find more information for you!  Good luck ! PEACE!          
Thank you, that is wonderful to hear. I have had much success on the HCG diet, plus it works as a wonderful cleanser. I have also heard the hormone amount is so small, I usually do the drops under the tongue. I have managed to keep my weight down and exercise every day but I am nervous about gaining too much weight after a TT. I have heard people gain 50 to 100 pounds! That frightens me. I will definitly pass this information on and keep you posted as to what the doctors response will be. Thank you soooo much!!
I am doing my second round of hCG and continue to take my Synthroid.  Have had no problems, however, I have found if I include the Melba/Grissini starch my weight loss isn't as good.  May be just me.  I lost 26 lbs and 30 inches on the first round last year.  Am doing the second, and hopefully last, round now.

Keep an eye on your calcium balances after the TT, mine bottomed out the night of the surgery and I've been on calcium tablets off and on since then.
Wow! Thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear of success with weight loss! So, you had a total thyroidectomy, your on synthroid,  and the HCG didn't interfere with your hormone levels? I am glad you shared your story with me! I know not everyone favors the HCG diet - but I have been on all the diets and this one works amazingly well! Thanks for sharing & good luck to you!