Weight Loss Alternatives Community
HCG injections, just diagnosed with Breast Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

This is more of a statement rather then a question. I started HCG injections on Thanksgiving this last year and was on one of the forums keeping up with everyone when I found a lump in my breast. I didn't think it was anything but to make a long story short, I'm 40 years old, no and I mean NO family history of breast cancer and the lump turned out to be invasive ductal breast cancer. So far I've had two surgeries and have to do chemo and radiation. Luckily I caught it early. Turns out that the tumor was hormone receptive (meaning hormones fed it) and that the HCG was making it grow so..................just a warning out there for anyone taking this. I did lose weight. It worked wonderfully in that aspect. However had I known that taking this drug would cause my cells to start growing strangely and would cause this tumor to grow, I would have never taken it. I just want to give the ladies out there taking this a heads up...................
Thank you so much for your post, SheriBerry. I am sorry about your cancer and really grateful that you would care about others in the face of your own problems. I am glad you caught it early, and it sounds like you have a positive attitude, that is so important.

I don't want to be insensitive, but I was wondering if your doctor said that the HCG caused the tumor, or just made it grow? At 40, I don't suppose you had ever had a mammogram, so you wouldn't have known if there was something there to begin with?

I am just asking so that if women are considering this, maybe they should get a mammogram first?

I wish you all the best with your treatment and will keep you in my prayers.

Peace
I am so sorry about your cancer.  Cancer runs in my family like non other and I have always been afraid of getting it too.....I will most definately ask my doctor about this injection as I have just starting taking them yesterday.

Thank you for the information.  You are in my prayers!!

The doctor didn't think it actually caused the cancer tumor, however it did make it grow more rapidly then it would have had I not been taking the HCG. And my tumor was hormone receptive, which means mine is stimulated by hormones. After my chemo and radiation they are going to remove my ovaries. I don't know about ladies under 40, who are taking the HCG having a mammogram? Just because I am paranoid at this point.......I would just suggest not taking it at all. But that is going to have to be a personal call.  I would hate for someone else to go through what I am going through, and I was lucky by catching it early. You just have to ask yourself is it really worth the risk. I've always been obsessed with my weight, but when you hear that you have cancer...........suddenly your weight loss becomes the least important thing in the world. And to think I was "feeding" it. I could kick myself.

I have implants, and had only had them 1 year and with the implants you have to massage your breasts daily to keep them soft and I had never noticed this lump before. I have dense, lumpy breasts anyway, but this lump was WAY different. Hard as a rock and about the size of a pea and wasn't painful or sore whatsoever. Seems like it came up overnight and when I started my shots........it doubled in size. In my good luck, the doctor did say that I would have never found this lump (being that it was only 1cm) had I not had the implants because it pushed it to the surface. So.........guess if you could ever say implants were benificial..........this would be the case! haha

Thank you so much for your prayers. I will get through this. Cancer doesn't know me very well........I'm as stubbon as a mule. haha
Like I said Good Luck with everything and definately keep in touch with your progress.  I am very concerned now because I just started taking the HCG injections on Thursday, January 24th.  I don't take them very often...only once a week but nevertheless....I am taking them.  I have some abnormal cells in my cervix that we had to remove last year.  Every pap smear that I have had since then is still abnormal so i don't want this to worsen this.  I am definately going to ask my doctor about this asap.  

Again thanks for the information!
Thank you for responding, I'm sure you have lots of other things on your mind right now. I agree with you completely about your perspective and how it changes once something like this happens. I lost my home of 40 years in a fire last March and am so thankful we all got out, that the material stuff is not really important to me. It would be a lie to say it doesn't matter at all, but in the grand scheme of things, your life and health is more important.

I wish you the best recovery and hope that you will keep your sense of humor. Again, thank you for making all of us more aware of the risks that are involved in this. Somehow "HCG is a hormone and it does make things grow...." as a disclaimer, does not have the same effect as "I had HCG shots and now I have cancer"....

God keep and bless you,

I  am 43 and I took hcg injections for three weeks this month and have  lost 15 1bs.  I am concerned though b/c I  recently had an abnormal pap smear for the first time in my life.  I am wondering if there could be a correlation.  Have you researched this at all?  
Actually HCG may be better than tamoxifen, which is being used to treat estrogen receptive positive breast cancer. See article and link below.

Pregnancy Hormone May Prevent Breast Cancer
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
By Charlene Laino

A pregnancy hormone shows promise for preventing breast cancer in women, according to Philadelphia researchers.
In animal studies, human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) activated tumor suppressor genes, stopped cancer cell growth, and induced other genetic changes that indicate an anticancer effect, says Irma H. Russo, MD, chief of molecular endocrinology at Fox Chase Cancer Center.
"Our goal is to eventually use this as a breast cancer preventive in women, just like tamoxifen," she tells WebMD. But unlike tamoxifen, "HCG is normally produced by the body and has no toxic effects."
Tamoxifen, which has been used to prevent breast cancer, has been associated with an elevated risk of endometrial cancer and blood clots.
Early Pregnancy Cuts Breast Cancer Risk
Studies show that a woman who becomes pregnant by age 20 cuts her risk of breast cancer in half.
"Over the years, the link between having children and breast cancer protection, particularly if you have children when you're young, became very solid," Russo says.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090420170752.htm

ve breast cancer.  
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I was wondering if you would tell my how many injections of HCG you had taken? I took 40 consecutive inj.and off 5 weeks and had just taken 3 inj. when I heard from my family physician about the risk. I was out of state when I started them and not been to my physician. I stopped that day. I have fibroids in breast and it . is hard to find a new lump. I am so thankful you found yours early. God be with you. Thank you so very much for your time and caring about giving knowledge to others with everything going on with your own life. Thank You for raising a son who also cares about others,service our country , and puts his life on the line for our freedom. Because freedom isn't free.
Again thank YOU.
Kathy
Just wondering?  My wife and I are both on the HCG weight loss protocol, both over 40.  Does a woman over 40 have a greater possibility of getting breast cancer if she becomes pregnant?  The reason for the question is that the levels of HCG in a pregnant woman are way over the amount we are injecting.  My wife has family history too so if HCG is the culprit then i need to make her aware of it.
I found these three articles that might be helpful.  

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146900.php

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/4/5/437

I completed one round of HCG injections, supervised by a physician, for weight loss. It was extremely effective, beyond my wildest dreams. I am eight years past menopause.
However.... a week after the last injection, I began bleeding as if having a very light period. Never happened before.
Long story made short, I just had surgery to remove several harmone-induced uterine polyps and  to do two biopsies.Benign, but the timing is weird......
I also had my first abnormal mammogram, and the biopsy is still out on that one..... Coincidence? I don't know. I just don't know.......
Cannot decide whether to do round 2 or not. I only need one more round to my goal.....I'll probably do it. HCG is so darned awesome..
I'm a 43 year old woman who is 2 years out with Breast Cancer.  I was taking HCG injections when I noticed a lump in my Breast.  I made an appt. to see my doctor and within a couple of weeks it had doubled in size.  The lump was noncancerous,  but my doctor found 3 on my left side that was cancer.  I have been having mammograms since I was 40.  I had had one within the year and the lumps was not detected.  My cancer had tripled within 1 year!  I since have had a double mascectomy, chemo, and radiation. I knew in my heart that If I hadn't taken HCG I would'nt be where I am today. You wonder why all of these younger women are getting breast cancer. HCG! ------Lauri
HI I had taken the injections last year in 09 had an yearly exam. The physian examined me in Nov of 09. This last October I noticed a lump
In my breast and had it checked. After a ultrasound and a mamogram (mammogram) and a biopsey. I found out in November 2010 I had breast cancer.It too was hormone receptor positive. Since then I have chemo 8 sessions of it.
Im having bilateral masectomy. Then after that Im suppose to have 36 sessions of radiatio.  Im 36 years old.  Im thinking taking the injections caused it or fed it. But now that i found out that im not the only one, makes me think the injections caused it.  kw
also took hcg and then developed an abnormal pap and had to have surgery- no prior problems, married 13 years. i am quite convinced that it is related.  
Hello Ladies, I am an owner of an HCG weight-loss clinic and I promise you the HCG did not cause your cancer!!!!
In fact, HCG is NOW BEING USED IN MAINSTREAM MEDICINE TO TREAT BREAST CANCER, also as a preventative of reoccurrence or genetic predisposition. Here is the TRUTH!!!! 1) HCG is NOT A HORMONE!!! It is a glyco-protein. 2) When using it as a fertility treatment it is mixed with other substances that trigger hormonal release and it is taken in 3 doses at 10,000 IU’s a day totaling it up to 30,000 IU’s 3) when a women is pregnant her body releases 1-3 MILLION IU’s of HCG a day!!!! 4) when using HCG properly for weight-loss you only use 125-150 CC’s a day. NO WHERE NEAR what your body releases when your pregnant and NO WHERE NEAR what you take in for fertility treatment. Furthermore, If HCG caused cancer, you would absolutely see a correlation between pregnancy and cancer /fertility treatment and cancer……….and there is no correlation!!!!! I do not know what caused your cancer, however, the fact that you all took HCG and developed cancer soon after is def alarming. Hence, look into the source of your HCG….where did you get it from????? Ask them what other substances were added to the HCG???? Many manufactures of HCG that you buy off the internet cut it with bio-identical hormones from animals and other substances. If you got it from a Doctor who has a pedigree of verification from the compound pharmacy they buy their HCG from, I would contact the pharmacy directly to get answers???? Again, PURE HCG does NOT cause cancer.
From all the research that I have found they are actually using HCG to treat Breast cancer:  So this is very confusing to most people.  Maybe obesity/eating habits has more to do with cancer?  Any thoughts?  
For instance they are currently recruiting for a study at New York Downtown Hospital for this:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT00808522
Sponsor: New York Downtown Hospital
Information provided by: New York Downtown Hospital
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00808522

Everything as far as clinical results I can find is positive: ???
Anthony
It might not cause the cancer but it is certainly causing it to grow at a very increased rate. I had bc soon after a pregnancy and they advised me that the HCG (natural) caused the cancer to grow.

Also HCG is not FDA approved for weight loss. It is an off label use and ill advised.

Remember there are no short cuts. If you want to lose weight eat less and move more.

Why any one would risk this is beyond me. You could also take up smoku=ing, That also causes weight loss, and cancer.
With all the recent scare about HCG, I'm glad I found this page. If you take it or dont, If you sell it or dont you should first look at other health options.
I'm doing a plan that is putting the best vitamins, supplements, minerals and essentials my body needs to thrive in this toxic environment. I'm losing weight safely and feel better than I've felt in 10 years.
Recently with ALL the news out about HCG products that are going to be banned soon by the FDA, I would steer clear of it. Especially since I've read the other comments above.
For the people that "PUSH" it. I'm sure you need to Earn a paycheck too BUT you'll sleep with more peace at night if you try it with the right product.

My prayers go out to all that have been been effected.
i did the hcg diet about 3-4 times and got an abnormal pap smear. Cancer never was in my family. Also i got the gardisil vaccine way before being sexually active. no stds or HPV which increases ur risk of cervical cancer. Being a pharmacist i highly feel after reading different medical articles that HCG dose have a correlation with cancer. The FDA needs to get on top of this case and banned hcg as a weight lost treatment
...."I KNEW IT!....   I found a lump when I was 1 month pregnant in June 2010 & had on  Aug 27th 2010  I had my yearly mammogram & was seeing if the lump I had noticed  pop up was cancer. I had DCIS "Stage 0" in June 2008 but no lump & had a lumpectomy. The doctor told me it was scar tissue but didn't do a biopsy...??? .... Had another mam in Jan 2011 (8 months Preg.) "Still scar tissue" , no biopsy...???...Had my son in March  2011 & had another Mam in Aug 2011, still pushing the issue of the lump. He still said it was scar tissue...???... No biopsy... **BOUGHT H.C.G.
at the end of August to lose my baby weight & by November/December it felt like the lump had gotten harder & bigger!! Asked for different surgeon, after a mammogram, ultrasound & biopsy, I have Invasive (Infiltrating) Ductal Carcinoma "1.92 cm) in my right breast! He said that it looked like it had grown **REALLY*** FAST*** from my last Mam in Aug 2011 to January 2012!! I only took it from October to December the 20th & was trying to find it again online but they had taken it off.. I know in my heart that maybe the cancer was already there & that is something the surgeon & I will deal with but I truly believe that the H.C.G. made it "GO CRAZY!!!" Please ladies, don't take it!!! I have always been obsessed with my weight too & I was reading Womens World & Dr Oz was the one that said"TAKE IT!"  I will be having a bilateral Mastectomy on February 24th 2012 & then we will know what stage it is in & if it is gotten to the rest of my body. If I had had the money to purchase more H.C.G. I might have never caught this when I did... I pray for the women still out there thinking how great it is but you can only look so good & skinny in a casket.. Stac
yes, a lot of you naturalist Dr.s will tell you this.  HCG its self does not cause cancer but despite what the distributor above says it IS a growth hormone.   that is why our bodies produce it while we are pregnant.  We have a miracle to grow.  That being said, if you are not pregnant and injecting HCG into your body whether by injections or orally, it can and does cause hormone receptor tumors/cancers to grow.  I've read case after case after case of this.  And yes, as the distributor said, it IS being used to target and treat breast cancer.  Not all cancers are the same.  You will not find a Dr. in their right mind that would tell a patient with hormone receptor cancers/tumors to use HCG as a treatment.  Not all cancers are created equal.   Does HCG itself cause cancer?  No!  Will increase your risk of getting all kinds of cancers? No but if you are one of the unlucky few (not near as few as it used to be) that has a cancerous tumor that feeds off of hormones, then yes, HCG will cause that cancer to grow more rapidly.  Why take the chances???  
I developed Uterine cancer while on HCG.
I'm sorry about your cancer.. I was wondering how much u paid for ur implants and how do u know the Dr is right one, and how did u go about paying for it
Shame on you for responding to these women who are obviously concerned about there health.  I have seen first hand a very healthy person take HCG and then get diagnosed with Panceatic cancer within the month as did her best friend.  You have a right to speak your mind, but not on this site.  Doesn't it boggle your mind that there are so many healthy people diagnosed with breast cancer, abnormal paps, etc immediately after taking HCG.  When you are pregnant, anything that can go wrong with your body will and that is specific to HCG and protecting the baby.  Please keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself when so many are struggling.  
I am considering doing the HCG injections to lose some weight.  My Mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy 9 years ago.  If I take this I have been told it can accelerate cancer growth in me.  I do not have cancer that I am aware of. Any thoughts or info you can share would be appreciated.
I stumbled across your post when researching ways to lose weight while on tamoxifen.  You are the first person that has a story similar to mine.  I had implants at age 45. Went in for my 6 mo. ck up and told the dr. that I noticed a dimpled area, but wasn't concerned since I was warned this could happen with implants.  Three days later I found out I had stage 2B breast cancer.  If it hadn't been for the implants I don't think I would have found it until it was too late.  I had just quit my job two weeks prior to finding out my diagnosis.  Without insurance I would have put it off for who knows how long.  I always did the HCG injections for weight loss and had good luck with it.  I have read conflicting reports about taking the injections with breast cancer.  One study says it's beneficial.  My oncologist even gave me the go ahead to restart the injections.  I was told the shots are not the same hormone as estrog. or progest.-which my cancer is both Est/Prog +.  It was very fast growing 88%.  Were you able to keep your implants?  Are you taking tamoxifen now?  October will be one year clean bill of health for me.  I hope it stays that way for many more.  I wish you the best, too!