Weight Loss Alternatives Community
I'm between a rock and a really hard place

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

It was really interesting reading all your posts. But I didn't find my issues, so I'm posting. (Pls don't jump on me for the reasons I'm about to explain) I weigh 350lbs- I've been heavy ALL my life, and recently lost about 100 lbs (due to misdiagnosed kidney stones) After those symptoms went away I gained back about 40lbs. I have SEVERE arthritis in my Left hip (no joint left-bone on bone with spurs) my Right knee same issue but not as advanced as Left hip. Several docs I've gone to refuse to operate on me due to past history of infections of my left knee which was replaced 5x's due to MRSA infection. Finally, the ortho doc took out the infected ortho knee and replaced it with a cement block imbued with antiboi's (actual capsules in the cement, saw him doing it right before I was knocked out). This resolved the multiple infections and have been w/o issues in L knee since 11-04. So I'm in severe pain 24/7-I'm morbidly (hate that word!!) obese, I can't walk much but do so slumped over a walker looking like Quasimoto (the Hunchback). I've saught weight reduction surgery through Gastoenterologists, they also refuse to touch me given past history. I truly don't eat very much, just don't have movement, going shopping wipes me out for a couple of days due to the pain. I take 40mg Oxy and 60 mg Morphine TID also 800mg's of IBprofen TID. To help with weight loss, my now doc wants me to take Topamax. I did try it but with the pain meds I was a zombey. He continues to encourage me to take it working up from tiny doses, a 1/4 pill-to the full dose. I do not have head aches, I do have issues with depression cause I'm in so much pain. So if I take my doc's advise I'll be taking Topamax along with all the other pain meds, an SSRI and a muscle relaxer.

I'm ending this rant soon. But ? is-has anyone in this group taken it JUST FOR LB lost? Has anyone taken it with other pain meds like one's I listed above. If I get rid of more weight the Ortho doc said he would consider minimally invasive surgery, but its only a consideration. I need help, I can't tolerate this pain much longer as this will be the 7th yr and pain is getting worse. GOD Bless all of you and keep you well, thanks for listening, Mary QMRP