Info on the Lap Band weight loss surgery
I'm looking for information on the "Lap Band" weight loss method. I guess I'm not looking in the right places on the net because all I'm finding are ads for doctors who do the procedure. I want info on it, not a commercial.
Has anyone out there had this procedure and if so, did it work?
Hi Laurie- I must be on your wavelength because I was looking for a post from you & wondering how you were. Don't worry about taking the codene- it's fine.I took it for the next full week esp. at night plus had the perscription renewed -just in case & I'm glad I did because sometimes after a long day my stomach is sore where my incision rubs the front of my pants. I was also able to take the Advil for swelling but that pill may be too big for you right away & I think you siad that you couldn't get the liquid/childrens' Advil. If you can it works wonders-but be sure your Doc. oks it. My doctor put it in my post-op. instructions which I didn't see but my hubby sure did & it was a great help!!!  That chicken broth is heaven esp. after a liquid diet & the beef broth is also great too!!! Take it slow & easy though & pamper yourself. I've been a bit down after reading the other website for  banders because I haven't been loosing any weight & I'm so anxious for my 1st fill to start things rolling BIGTIME!! Its' great to hear from you & take those pain meds. girl- you just had surgery!!! Love Steph!!!
Hey Steph, guess every clinic is different because they do not want us taking advil.  I have been taking  chewable children's tylenol because that is allowed.  I try to take those during the day and leave the codiene for the night before  I go to bed.  Today is a better day.  I can't get rid of the pain in  my left  shoulder though no matter what  I do, today believe it or not is the worse day.  I have done everything possible and it just doesn't seem to want  to move.  I just think that tomorrow will be a better day.  My Tim's coffee this morning was absolutely wonderful!!!!  I was able to get down a yop yougurt as well so I think I"m doing ok.  I think I should be doing more, but then I have to remind myself that   it hasn't even been 48 hours since I had the surgery.  My husband thinks I'm doing good.  I was only up once in the night last night compared to 3 or 4 times the night before.  Hey Steph if  you can't get those Papaya enzymes let me know and I will find them here and send them to you if you want me too.  Thanks for that wonderful info Big-little B.  I will definitely be buying those alright.  Otherwise everything seems to be coming back to normal  slowly.  I can't imagine what the next week and  half is going to be like if I'm already like this.  They told me no driving for a week for sure, guess that was because of the hernia.  As well I will be telling my family that I had this done in the next week  so I don't know how that is going to go over, but guess it doens't really matter because it is done now.  Steph please don't be hard on yourself because it will come, the weight will start to fall off, I think sometimes we get caught up in the numbers  instead of letting our body heal and then letting the band take over.  I haven't gotten  on the scale because they told  me at the clinic not to look for weight loss in the next 3-4 weeks and at first I thought the same thing and then I thought well we can try to push it but end up going backwards instead of forwards and these people are the experts so they know what they are talking about.  You 1st fill is  just around the corner and then you will be well on your way.  Hang in there girl it's not long, remember this is a marathon not a spint and I need to keep that in my head as well, because like I always say to my husband, "I want what I want when I want it" but that is not always the case.  Actually it's quite funny now because as I sit in this chair and look down at my stomach I look about 5 months pregnant!!!!  But I know that that is from the gas that they pump in you so I look forward to that going down in the next week or so.  Anyways write when you can and again Steph let me know if you need me to get those pills for you.  As well Big-little B, keep those helpful hints coming and I will look for you on the other website.
bye for now.
Love Laurie
Hey Laurie,  great to hear you're up and about.  TAKE THE MEDS!  Life's too short for pain.  My husband woke me up and forced them into me exactly on time for the first 3 days without fail, otherwise I wouldn't have taken them.  And read the second half of the little australian LapBand book they gave you - it has great information about the pain in your shoulder (which they says actually comes from your diaphragm, and not gas like we all thought) and about how to eat and how people who have a glass of red wine everyday lose quicker than those who don't.  Good stuff like that.  

The shoulder thing is pretty bad, I know.  And I could still feel it close to a month later - but the worst of it should be over in the first week.  I was banded on a Wednesday, and my first walk around the block on Monday left me weak and dizzy and feint.  So don't push it, we all recover at our own speed, and one day you'll suddenly wake up and say "You know what?  I'm better!".  And now, after only 6 weeks, my puncture scars are nearly non-existent.

I told my family after I had lost about 15 pounds, which made them all feel a lot better because they thought it was working already.  You'll probably be in the same boat.  Just make sure you go to them after you're pink and strong again, because nobody can see pain in your face quite like your family.

So, where did they put your port?  Bertie.
Hey Bertie, I saw you on the other site....I'm not sure where they put my port but I have 5 puncture wounds.  The biggest one is between my breasts about an 1" from where my bra goes.  Now I'm not sure if that is where they fixed the hernia because he said it was where my asophicas (sp) meets the stomach.  I know that I shouldn't overdue it and that I should just let my body tell me how is feeling instead of me trying to get it to line up with where  I think I should be in my head.  I have been good with the meds today, nothing so far but I think I need to do some tylenol now and have a nap.  I will use the codiene at night.  I am going to check out that book like you said.  I did try to cover most of it before I had the surgery.  Thanks for all that Bertie time to go for a nap....hahahaha
Nice to know you got added value for your surgical dollar, isn't it?  I also have a puncture in that spot - I was afraid I wouldn't be able to wear a bra until it healed, but it just barely misses, so I was okay.  The port incision is about 2 1/2 inches long, compared to the 1/4" puncture marks.  Mine is beside my belly button, but most people get them in line between their belly buttons and their breastbones.  Have a good nap, and we'll talk to you later.  Bertie : )
Hi All! I was hoping to see posts today. I know your right Laurie- I'm just sooooo anxious to start loosing, but taking the step to getting the band was the 1st postive  thing I've done in a while toward real weight loss. My last diet about a year ago was half hearted because I never had any great losses for so long. I fell bad that your shoulder hurts though. You can also ice it from the from while you lay on heat from the back & I wish that you could take the Advil although the pain meds worked pretty well for me!!! My port is right of my belly button & is about a 3 inch horizontal cut which has been my sorest place, but this week it seems to be a lot better. I have a pedicure scheduled tonight & we are moving our daughter this weekend into her first Apt. in Columbus which is 2 hours away so it will be a big step for us all!! She is 24 & finally got a decent job since she graduated a year and a half ago from college and we are about to be empty nesters which is also going to be a change!! Anyhow, it's all changes for the good & I'm eager to embark. I am like you though- I want it now but know it's worth waiting for too. Take care & rest. I will write again & you all do the same. Steph!!!
Mine too!  Sore as sore can be!  It hits the counter when I brush my teeth, clean the kitchen, cook supper, change the laundry - everything!  And I had three separate conversations with my surgeon about exactly where he was going to put it, too.  I was shocked when I first realized that it was in the wrong spot - and it hurt so bad I was convinced it was moving, so I even made them see me in a hurry a few weeks ago.  I feel a little silly about it now, after all they must have encountered something during surgery that made them put it where they put it - but it's pushing up tight under my belly button - so hard that the dome of the port is actually making my "innie" bulge out.  It's tight and it's sore and it wakes me up every night when I roll over and get that white-hot knife of pain again.  They say it's rubbing on a knot of nerves that are balled up around a scar from an operation I had when I was 6 months old when my belly button didn't heal over properly.  I barely remembered the stories about even having that operation. And they say it will hurt until the nerves die from being rubbed by the port too much, and no, they don't know how long that will be.

I asked them to move it from the usual spot below the ribs because I'm downright thin around the middle, and I didn't want it to stick out.  Even when I weighed my heaviest, I had small waist and nothing around my ribs, so I asked them to put the port down in the flab below my belly button.  So I guess its my own fault for messing with their system.

Good news about your daughter.  My OD is 19, and ready to leave (at least in her mind) as well.  She has no idea how heavily she relys on my car, my laundry service, my cooking or my alarm clock to get her out of bed, though.  She thinks she's totally self-sufficient.  That's okay, I remember feeling that way at her age, too.  What a shock to realize I had no time or desire to keep my own house clean.  I must have been 30 before I figured out how to live without stacks of junk everywhere.  You know - someone's coming over so you quickly square up everything into stacks?  Ah, to be young.

By the way, first fill and ZERO restriction.  They told me to wait 2 weeks to be sure, but right now I am eating normally and that's WAY too much!  Keep you posted.  Bertie : )
Well  ladies  today  has been my best  day so far.  I didn't take any pain medicine last night before bed and  I also went for a walk last night and the pain in my shoulder  is almost totally gone, a slight ache but nothing compaired to what it has been.  Things are looking good.  Hey I have to share this with you because I'm sure that you both will think this is funny although it wasn't funny at the time  when it happened this morning.  Well I guess we really don't realize how strong our minds are but here is what happened:  let me set the stage for you, if you know me you would know that eggs at the best of times are not my favorite things,  I eat them because they are good for you but only once in a while.  I only eat my eggs two ways, either scrambled or over easy.  Well now for what happened I guess I was dreaming that I had to eat a egg because I'm banded they served it  to me hard boilded, well I tried to eat the egg and didn't it get stuck in my throat (this is in my dream), well didn't that feeling wake me right up out of bed, I sat straight up in bed and I also let out a big burp.  My husband woke up and said "what's wrong?, are you ok"?  I said yes but I was feeling so nauseous that I actually had to take liquid gravol, and that feeling has been haunting me all morning.  I keep laughing at the thought but how powerful that dream was.  Now when I'm allowed to have soft foods I'm scared to try an egg because of what happened in my dream.  Crazy isn't it?  Well I'm beginning to feel like a stir crazy cat in the shoe box.  I'm not  allowed to drive my car for a week, (that is what they told me at the clinic) I think becaue of the hernia, so I'm thinking I'm only half way through my 1st week, what am I going to do with myself.  I can't lift anything for the next six weeks so it's not like I can even clean out closets or stuff like that.  I plan on obeying the rules because I don't want to damage anything that has been done.  So I think I will be  running up our cable bill renting movies since I can't even drive to the store to get one.  I told my loving husband to go golfing today because he has been by my side since the operation so it was not fair to him to have to spend a beautiful day inside the house with me espeically since golf season is almost over.  So I guess I will go for now my beautifuls and we will talk soon.
Laurie
That's too funny, Laurie -  it's like when I was pregnant with my first, and I had an episode with a roast chicken.  After dinner I set about to de-bone it, and before I knew what was happening, I was throwing up all over the floor.  It took me 10 years at least to de-bone another roast chicken.  I had anyone around me do it until I was forced to confront it again myself.

Sounds like you are doing better than most!  Good for you.  You'll no doubt find lots to do - walk around the neighbourhood, read a book, follow up on your threads, make some new recipes, call for visitors you haven't seen lately, nap.  I know my days went by very fast.

My OD just packed a bag and walked out in a huff about an hour ago, so I can keep you regailed with the ongoing saga of "Baby Girl has hit the Road!".  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens myself, believe me.

Anyway, you take care, and I'll talk to you soon. Bertie : )
Hey Bertie it sounds like you have your hands full with your daughter, how old is she?  She sounds like she is at the age that she knows everything and you can't tell her anything.  Don't forget we as parents don't know anything.  Well do you think she will be back tonight?  I  know that the time will go by fast and I should just enjoy it. You know that is a good idea, I should organize my recipes.  I think over the next couple of days I will pick out what I'm going to bake for Christmas goodies this year.  Last year I made way too much so this year I'm going to scale back and pick out only a couple of the gerenal favorites liked by everybody.  I'm thinking that Thanksgiving is only a couple of weeks away and I will be on soft foods by then so I'm wondering what I will be able to have.....hum I will miss the stuffing....hahahaha.  
Hello again~ I'm home from an exhausting move  today which begain last night with tons of packing. Our daughter is almost 25 so it  was way past time for her to go- but she's an only child so that makes it harder. She moved in with her  best friend  since grade school who is in dentristry school at Ohio State U. & that also means that her social life will pickup since all her other friends are either in grad school or are married. We just pray she can keep her job & pay her rent as well as eventually  met her future husband. It was exciting to see her open all the things we have  been giving her for years to start up her 1st housekeeping! It was like when we were married 30 years ago although we didn't have near as nice of things or as nice of an apt. either- but we were just as excited!! I keep telling myself that  so it doesn't sting so much that she's gone now~ and a different stage is about to begin for us. I'm wondering if my exhaustion tonight is also a bit of depression over her leaving but I came to the website to renew my 50 and & fab vow which I took when I decided to have the lap-band. My stomach doesn't seem as sore this week although I know what you mean B about it waking you up in the middle of the night & I feel it immediately!!Tonight, as I write this I'm having a glass of wine & plan to slip into a warm bed- since I keep turning on my heated lap blanket & hope to read until I fall into a deep sleep so tomorrow when I'm refreshed I can get used to this empty nest.  It's funny because I thought I wanted her on her own for so long- but now that she is I'm feeling a bit sad.Maybe sad becasue I know that we are getting older- but  certainly not TOO old !! Best wishes to you & rest up & take it easy Laurie !!!
Hey Steph, sounds like you had a very emotional day.  It's hard I'm sure to watch your child leave.  On the flip side isn't  wonderful to watch what a beautiful young independent woman she has become.  It's hard to watch them grow up.  Take pride in your accomplishments as a parent/mother, believe in yourself and the wonderful job that you have done at raising her. Although she has left home, she hasn't forgotten all the values that you have instilled in her.  Even though she has left your nest, you haven't left her heart.  You will build on new ever deeper realtionship level with her because she will see that you see her as a "young woman" and "not just a little girl".  This is also time for you to find new passions in life, maybe  to find yourself after being banded.  I think this time for all of us is a time of growth, learning and finding our authentic selves.  Sometimes I have to be honest I'm scared of what lies beneath my pounds of excess weight.  Embrace your feelings of being sad, it's ok as long as you don't find yourself getting stuck there.  You have to let yourself feel that emotion and  don't hide it in food (not saying you are) but usually the pattern of us overweight people is to comfort ourselves with food.  Give yourself permission to go there and feel the empty space and then say to yourself, yes it's hard to let her go, but I'm also giving her the greatest gift I can and that is learning to be independent, I'm learning to stand at the sidelines and be her cheerleader instead of being her coach. Her safety net is knowing that you are a phone call away which gives her more comfort then you realize.  Steph you will see the growth in your relationship even more than you could have imagined and you will see your "child" as the real woman that she really is.  Remember take pride in the  job that you have done raising her, don't second guess all that you have instilled  in her  life, now comes the practical where she gets to put that to use.  
Laurie
Thanks Laurie,  for your post. I really needed a positive words esp. with my daughter leaving & also since I have been reading that other band site which  put me down in the dumps with several people who have negatives regarding the banding. I know all our progress is different, but I firmly believe that we have been given a GREAT tool to make our futures much better & after reading that other website I let myself get sucked into their negativism. I'm so anxious for my fill in 2 weeks & when I can start loosing again!!! After I posted what I said above last night, I re-read the book I got about banding & since it basically reinforced what my doctor told me & what I originally expected about the lap-band- my resolve is renewed!!! Just don't let any negativism get to you because yes- some people can loose right after the surgery & not even need a fill because some docters fill the band a  little during the surgery & then even if they don't each person's stomach is different & it may take several fills to get the one where the adjustment is right for loosing. I just have to take heart & be patient, but being fat & having tried everything in the past to loose with no success- I'm overanxious to see results now!! It's hard for me to admit to you all that I had myself conceding failure almost in tears thinking- all this & I'm not going to loose just like all those other diets I was on ~~BUT now I realize --my daughter moving & reading negative posts about the banding  had me prematurely going off the deep end!! I'm fine today- but I'm posting this so you & Little B don't do like me & let your old (FAT PERSON) negativism sabatoge your progress because we have all been given a great gift/tool to become the skinny people we  deserve to be!!! Love & thanks again for your post. Take it easy & rest & keep up the positive!!! Steph!!!
Hey Steph, I'm glad to hear that you are on the right track again.  I haven't gone to that other web site and now I don't think I will.  I'm trying to fill myself with good reading.  The clinic that I got banded at has a web site for the people that have had or plan to have it done at their clinic, now I do read that because people give suggestion and advice (not medical) that is left for the clinic, but they give suggestions on how to have a better stage during optifast and stuff like that.  Someone posted on that sight that Mohammad Ali's daughter has been banded and she wrote a book (which I plan to get) called Fighting Weight by Khalia Ali, another one that I'm reading which I think a lot of over weight people get caught up in is approval of other people, so I'm reading a book called Approval Addiction by Joyce Meyer (that is a Christian based book).  I plan like I said in my other post that I'm going to become healthy physically, emotionally and spiritually.  I realize that this is not a band aid solution and that this could take a year or two.  Please don't be discouraged, because the very thing that you focus on becomes even bigger then it really is.  What I'm basically trying to say that is if you only focus on the weight portion that is all you are going to see.  But if you focus on all the other beautiful and wonderful gifts that you have then that is your authentic self (I'm saying this to myself as well).  The way we love other people, (strangers included), the tone of our voice when we talk to people, the way we forgive, the way we  bless other people.  I think you get the idea.  Steph, please don't get caught up in someone else's journey, you are on your own path, which is even different from mine and Big B's, our destination yes is the same, but the path we are taking to get there is not.  Just like if all three of us decided to meet at one place, we wouldn't all take the same path to get there, we would all meet in the same place though.  So honey hang on, use this time as your growing ground.  I so understand what you are saying though, because I was "blue" on Saturday, because I too had thought of all the things that I "might" not be able to ever enjoy again, one of them being bread as silly as it may seem, but then after having a heart to heart with my husband, am I going to let bread stop me from having true peace instead of the torment of being overweight all my life.  Am I going to allow bread to be the ruler of my world.  Like my husband pointed out to me which was very true, there are a lot of people in this world who have to avoid things in their diet and not by their choice.  What I think I was doing was grieving my old self, my old way of life, my old habits and really saying "I'm scared, because this is all new territory, and I'm not sure of anything right now, it's hard to say goodbye to that person that I have known for 45 years".  But Steph, I'm sure of thing we will make this journey and we will be successful if we want to be.  The only thing that stands in our way is ourselves.  You are doing great and you can do this I know you can, Big B can and so can I.  Hey we all have each other and we can share our highs and lows with each other because who knows better then someone walking towards the same vision and goals.
Love Laurie
Thanks agian Laurie for you post & also for the info. about the book Fighting Weight by Khalia Ali, which I will also look into getting. I think my best advice now is stay away from that other website. I'm looking forward to Oct. 4- which is only 2 weeks away now but I've also taken some positive steps lately as well. I am eating smaller portions again as well as starting with proteins as suggested without water with my meals. I had an episode yesterday while eating a bite of a bagel which caused me to actually throw up and it wasn't just a burp like Big/Little B described before.I t was because I was foolish & didn't chew thouraly-but more importantly because bread is not recommended & that is exactly why!! I won't repeat that mistake -you can be sure!!! At first I thought I was going to choke & that was certainly not a good feeling. Anyhow, I feel more ontrack now more than ever & even noticing my clothes fitting looser which is a positive. I haven't weighted myself because I plan to wait until I get to the doctors office on the 4th and hope to be as pleasantly surprised as I was at my post op check up when I saw that I maintained my pre surgery loss  even though my stomach was still swelled. I have staretd playing with my team again & that too will help. My stomach is also less sore now but I still can get a stomach ache which is bothersome, but I plan to ask my doctor what is best for that too. I know the liquid vicoden works, but that isn't an option while I'm at work and it seems that somthing over the counter should work for that. Does that papaya enzime work for that Little B ~or anything you else that know of? It's just a plain old belly ache like when you were a kid & ate too much sour candy or something. No acid reflux & not outside incision soreness. Anyhway I'm anxious to hear any news. Best wishes to you all & great to see that you are recouping well enough to post Laurie! Love Steph!!!
Hey Steph, glad to see your post.  Hey October 4th is a week tomorrow, so the time is slipping by and you will have your fill.  Then You can tell me all about your restriction.  I haven't seen anything from Little B in a while.  I hope she is doing ok.  I'm sorry to hear about your incident with the throwing up....yuk.....  but the blessing is that you have learned from your experience.  Today was my 1st day of pureed foods, which went rather well.  I also talk to my dad today and told him that I had this done, he was so supportive and when I explained everything so understanding of why I had to do what I had to do.  I so love my dad he truly is the greatest.  That is one thing I can honestly say that we have such a special bond and can be very transparent with each other.  He raised me and my 3 stibblings, so he is a very special man.  But like I said him and I have always for as long as I can remember talk about anything and I mean anything.  There was no taboo topic between the two of us.  Anyways enough about my dad, how are you doing today?  My bandages came off today and the only one that bothers me is the one where I believe my port went in.  It feels a little hot not that I'm touching it but it burns a little on my skin so I'm going to keep an eye on it.  I thought they stitched you (maybe Little B) knows but it doesn't look like any of my incisions have been stitched.  It appears that they were just taped.  Steph, I'm sorry that I can not say anything about the papaya enzime because I have not taken it personally so I don't know.  I plan on getting some because if it help that much it is worth keeping some on hand.  The one thing that I'm concerned about (little off topic) is if I'm getting enough food in a day.  When I look at what you can have conpaired to what I'm eating it is about 1/2.  Yet they tell you not to eat if you are not hungry.  I also quite eating when I feel that content feeling and do not push past that because one they say not to and second I don't want to throw up.  I think I should call the clinic and check with them.  I really haven't set out to lose anything during my healing time but I guess I will find out next week when I go for my post op if I have.  Anyways Steph, write when you can and let me know how you are doing ok.  Little B if you read this please write a couple of lines to let us know that you are doing ok, OK, as I'm concerned that you are doing good.  Remember good bad and worse we are here for each other.  
Love Laurie
You don't know me but I feel like I know you and big b from reading all of your post.  I have not had this surgery so I am definetly not expert on this, but I am overweight and just realized my own problem.  What I want to say is that weight loss, even with the best tools first starts  ALL IN THE MIND!!!!  Zig Ziglar states that you that it's harder to just "quit" a bad habit.  And believe me, overeating is a bad habit.  You have to replace the habit with a good one.  And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, listen to or read anything negative. Period!  It doesn't matter what has happened to anyone else, just you.  You have already had the surgery, so why let anyone make you depressed or second quess yourself?  It seems you are very strong women and you have what it takes to succeed.  Keep the right mental attitude!  It does make the diffence.  Go to the local library and check out some of Zig Ziglar's tapes or CD's.  One I love is "How to be a winner".  He will uplift you and make you feel great when you are down.  He is religious and has great stories that will warm your heart and make you laugh!!!  To Lawbing:  I have a 17 and 15 year old daughters.  I can't even imagine next Fall when my oldest leaves for college.  You will be o.k. though, just like I will be when it happens to me.  Maybe I have oversteped my boundries since I haven't been talking to ya'll, but I just couln't refrain tonight.  I could hear the dissappiontment and anxiety comming out in some of your words and I just wanted you to know :  YOU ALL ARE WINNERS!!!!!!  May God richly bless you all!  Good night.
Yes you are absolutely right we are all winners.  I think though it is an understatement to believe that it is all in the mind.  Don't get me wrong I absolutely believe that the mind is a very powerful tool.  Actually though it has been medically proven that obesity is a disease.  Did you know that reaserchers have proven fact that if you have been overweight for 5 years and have yo-you dieted that you have actually rewired your brain.  Researchers have also concluded at this point they do not have a way to unwire what has been done.  As well I think what we have been able to accomplish by opening up on this forum is to allow ourselves to become transparent and to deal openly with our emotions and say things like "I'm hurting today, or I feel this way or I need to express myself" instead of suffering in silent pain and reaching for food to comfort us.  Food for obese people has been in many peoples lives their life long friend.  You are right about allowing negative stuff to come into our minds, however, I know lawbing went to that other forum to obtain knowledge about the surgery that she had just had, however found it not to be what she was looking for.  That is one thing about this surgery if someone can give you helpful hints about how to cope better with your band you want to use that info to it's fullest.  However, we have to keep in mind that not all people are positive people and it doesn't matter if the sun is shinning, it's always cloudy in their world.  So although I can appreciate what you have said and hey after all it is an open forum you are free to express your opinion, obesity is more than just in the mind.  Even Jesus had to go to his father for help ("let this cup pass from me") if it was all in the mind he would never had to had done that because he would have been able overcome what was before him with the power of his mind.  I feel God has and will continue to richly bless me for directing me to a place that I was able to find out about the band and to get banded.  I have lived in torment and shame of being overweight for my entire life.  God has blessed me by allowing me to be able to afford this surgery.  This is by no means the end of our journey but the beginning, it is tool that we can use to be successful in something that has held us captive our entire lives.  Just like a good education is but a mere tool for a good job, without it or if you don't use it, you are not likely to succeed as far in life.  But thank you for your input and you are right we are all winners.  Javetta, you don't say how much overweight you are so please don't think I'm dawgin on you because I'm truly not, but I just want to point out that if it was all in the mind then I would have never have been overweight one day in my life.  I'm a well educated woman with a good job and can honestly say that I have been blessed beyond measure and to be honest with out sounding like I'm bragging have been very successful in life, but my weight has been one area in my life where now I say I can't do this without medical intervention.  Just like an alcoholic or a drug addict needs intervention to overcome their disease, so do I need it to overcome mine.  But again thanks for your imput and please don't shy away from posting, hey maybe we can inspire you to (if you are really overweight) go for the surgery and get banded.  God Bless Javetta
In His Service,
June
Hi~ Glad for the posts & esp. the positivness as well as sensibility that this website has which that other site seems to lack... I notice that most of the people posting at that "other" site seem to have a complaint  or a pattern in their negativism which is sad but I can also understand can come from having a disease such as obesity!!! You hit the nail right on the head  Laurie by stating that ~ we are successful and very blessed people except in that one area of our lives which we seem to fall short on. I know as I stated B/4 that I've tried every diet out there, plus even tried -Meridia  diet pills which basically were instant laxatives for any  miniscule amt. of fat in anything you put into your mouth & still had very little success keeping weight off... This banding has me feeling like I have made the first really positive step in a long time- BUT the most imp. thing for me at this point is patience!!! I just am so anxious to loose that as I start to feel less sore I want to get on with it --as well as I seem to be eating more and more which is normal at this stage. My fill is next Wednesday and after that I look toward climbing the hill of loosing again~ but even then if it's just a ONE lb a week- I'm going to be happy because I'm pretty sure it will be steady & better maintained this time. Plus, I don't want flaps of skin hanging all over me either. Part of the obesity disease is definately getting down due to failure after failure esp. after yo yo dieting. It's like when you are on a high starting the diet then after you plateau early & don't loose anymore the crash down is ugly & got worse for me after every time I failed....  It's easy to give up & constantly bemoan your even trying which I see in every fat person....so I understand the negativism, but I also know that this banding surgery has a great success rate which is based on the sensible principle  that our stomaches are being squeezed into a little pouch ~ hence we can only consume a little amt of food ~~~which simply means ~~we eat less so we have to loose weight. Add exercise & things should help in loosing even more as well as with better skin elasticity..Now- if we are eating liquid ice cream constantly then we won't loose - but what sensible person thinks they can loose weight eating ice cream constantly?  My losses always stopped on diets because I couldn't stop having second helpings of regular food & being on a diet for the past 20 years I haven't had much ice cream anyway!! My big spluge was a regular cola once a week before!!! I'd always say if I even smelled ice cream I'd gain 5 lbs!!! Anyhow, I talked to our daughter last night & it was really good to hear her voice. She sounded so happy that I  hid how much my heart hurt when she asked eagerly~ do you and dad miss me? I said yes but quickly added our dog was missing her the most.....  It was a lie but he is missing her too. I'm back playing with the Olympic team although not competing yet so after next week I hope to get back to training 3 days a week plus. I have a work conference next week & it starts this Saturday in Ft. Wayne, IN so I won't be able to post although there probably will be a computer in our business center so I will try & check this site. I will get back next Tues. night & then my fill is scheduled for Wednesday at 4:45 & I hope I feel OK after it because I'm supposed to meet a friend for dinner who  is considering the surgery. Keep up the good words & progress Laurie & I wonder where B is too? Anyhow,  Javetta~ you sound like my grandmother who was really into positive thinking which I know works & she was a wonderful person to be around for that reason, but once I was not around my grandmother- doubts always seeped back into my mind. Anyhow, enough  said about that & thanks for the great support all! Steph!!!
Hey Steph, sorry I haven't posted for a few days but I have been extremely busy.  I went for my post op today and that is going good.  They said that I was still swollen which is natural since it has only been two weeks.  I find my hunger is slowly returning to normal but I notice that it only takes a little to fill me.  I think I totally understand where you were coming from before as I was hoping the weight would just fall off, but guess what it's not.....hahahaha.  You think to yourself there is such little going in that more would be coming off, but when I spoke to the nurse today she did say not to expect much during the healing phase.  So I will just continue to do what I have been doing.  Hey you went for your fill today how did that go?  Did it hurt?  Did you feel anything after they did it like our famous word "restriction"....hahahaha.  Hey listen I did talk to little B the other day on a post on the other web site, she had to go back on pureed foods as she was having trouble keeping the other more solid foods down.  She was feeling a little discouraged because she is 7 weeks post op.  I just left a note for her that I and we were here for her.  She had a couple bad PB from what I understand at the most inconvenient time (mind you when are they ever convenient!!!)  My heart goes out to her because she is always so positive.  She will overcome this though as she is strong.  So I hope all is well with you.  How was your conference?  Oh ya you never did tell me what olympic team/sport that you play.  If you would rather not say that is ok too Steph, don't feel obligated.  I will talk to you soon.
Luv Laur
Hi Laurie- glad to get your post. My fill is today @ 4:45- Thurs. 10/4. I had Wed. 10/4 written down incorrectly -but anyhow I am nervous but looking forward to it BOT at the same time.  I'm glad to hear the advice the nurse gave you when you had your post op because  I needed that as I continued to heal & kept eating more toward my out of control normal. I told my doctor about it at my post op, but I wasn't as healed then so my eating was still restricted somewhat. I know I can't eat BIG pieces of bread even now but if I chew little pieces of bread - & can still eat a lot of bread. Anyhow- I look forward to this fill as a BIG turning point. Also, glad to hear that you connected with Big/Little B since I was wondering what happened to her.  That OTHER website was not helpful to me at this point of my lap-band recovery---but maybe later after I start loosing steadily I will glance in there. We also have groups that meet monthly through my doctors office- but I am so busy that I don't have the time for that & I'm worried that those sound more like a weight watchers meetings~ which I've had enough of for sure...Our conference in Ft.Wayne, IN - was fun but I'm tired now & have a LOT of work now to catch up on. I work for The American Red Cross in Chapter Operations doing accounting as well as a whole myriad of other things at times esp. when we have disasters. I play in the Senior Olympics in Badminton (Senior competition in OH begins at age 50). I've played badminton since college (graduated in 1979 & rec. a 2nd degree in Accounting in 2002)  & I learned the game while growing up in Ohio which is unusual for the states, but I liked it and became  very good. Now-most of my partners are Asian & British men due to the fact that Badminton is the national sport in Malaysia -same as baseball in the US ~plus, the Brits were the originators of the game & initiated it in all their settled areas such as India/Malaysia. There aren’t many women who play Badminton competitively in this area of the county and some people laugh when they think of it as an Olympic sport-but we aren’t playing the backyard garden variety of the game which people realize right away when they watch us play & I have 2 major shoulder surgeries behind me to prove it. Anyhow, as I loose weight I really can’t wait for my shoulder to feel even better as well as be faster on the Badminton court!!  I do notice now when I play that I’m off balance some because my weight is definitely shifting & I’m also noticing that my feet feel better even with just a 10 lbs weight loss esp with all the running  I do. My lap-band doctor told me that because of my disciplined play ~ this lap-band surgery was perfect for me for steady loosing and I thought he was right, but what he didn’t tell me was that after the liquid diet you loose, then after the surgery while recovering – you may either maintain or gain back some weight which had me bummed esp. when reading that other website.  It was like a false start and then whit all that negativity- I let old diet thoughts creep back. I’m reenergized now & back on track, but the imp. Thing is for you and anyone else to learn from my experience & remember- DON”T GET  DISCOURAGED ~ be patient because this band is a definite tool for major weight loss. Love & write again- Steph!!! PS- Skip all the blab about myself ~which is basically I’m proud of where I work and glad I can still play some kind of sport .
Hey Steph, just a short note to say hi and to let you know I'm not ignoring you.  It is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so I am just really busy getting everything done.  I have the family coming over today for a turkey dinner.  I went for my post op check up and they told me I can't have turkey, that is like saying to me that Jesus isn't the reason for Christmas.  But I will endure I'm sure and will now look forward to having turkey at Christmas...hahaha.  I will write again soon I promise once this weekend is over and done with.  Take care and we will talk soon.
Laurie
Hey Steph, wow now I finally got a couple of minutes to myself to sit down and write a few lines.  Sorry like I said it was crazy here the last few days, including  today as there is a Provincial Election going on here in Ontario, so that is  our big news event tonight.  Hey that is too funny about you playing Badminton as I use to play that as a teenager, so we do have a lot more in common.  I haven't played in years though.  So I guess it is my turn to feel a little down about my weight.  I keep bouncing between 21 and 22lbs and I find that I can eat more then I use to be able to.  I try to eat small meals but by dinner time I find I'm eating a bigger portion including bread.  I apparently can still do bread because I haven't had my 1st fill.  So tell me what  is like having a fill.  Did it hurt?  Do you find that you can feel the restriction?  I just keep thinking long term, long term,  where will I be in 2 months from now.  Mind you when I returned to work this week a lot of people thought I had lost a lot of weight.  I find it very difficult to see how they could notice but  they do.  Which makes me think how much do they really look at me...hahahaha.  I will not skip all the blah about you that  is wonderful Steph you should be so proud of yourself.  Just think of how you will move around the court in 5 or 6 months when you have lost a lot more weight!!!!!!  They will have  to find a good nickname for you like "bolt-lightening"  or "50, fit, fab and fast".  Sorry just being silly.  I went to a bandsters luncheon last  Saturday.  It is where  a bunch of us soon to be or already been banded people get together  and share successes, pit falls, etc.  It was really nice to meet other people who and banded and share a common part of life with you.  Some there on Saturday were 3 and 4 years banded and they look amazing!!!!!!!  Some have even gone on to have plastic surgery to tighten excess skin I couldn't get over how great they look.  Some are 1/2 way and others like myself are just beginning the journey so it was a great mix of people.  They are having another one on the 20th of this month closer  to my home but I'm not sure if I  will be able to make that one, but I'm definitely going to try.  Well Steph, I should run now as I have some stuff to go before I go to bed and morning comes early and I find that I'm a little bit tired this week seeing as it is my first week back to work.  Take care and write when you can.
Love Laurie
Hi Laurie- this is a quicke since I'm at work but I have my 2and fill today & I'm anxious because I hope this one will be the one where I start losing the BIG weight. The 1st fill didn't really do a lot for me, but I also got the book form Khalia Ali (Mohamad's daughter) & she wrote that it may take several fills to reach your "sweet spot" where you won't eat more than 4 ozs. so I'm still very much on track. I've been working out because we can't play badminton this week- they are resurfacing the gym floor, but I want to keep up my exercse. My husband took his mother to a nurse's reunion in MO so I'm by myself all week which is heaven because I get to bed early then I can read. My daughter & I went shopping Sunday & I bought some shirts & shoes but still haven't lost enough weight for new pants yet although I'm sure anxious!!! Anyhow- write again- I need your posts & I'll do the same- Hope you are progressing well!Steph!!!
Hi Laurie- my fill went great & I lost 3 1/2 lbs in less than 2 weeks, which has me really excited!!! The fill doesn't hurt (the worse part was he tickled me) but I was scared the 1st time so this second one was a lot better. I'm more restricted now & eating about 4 ozs. so today when a nurse at my yearly mammogram  told me she liked the shirt I was wearing- I said that next year when I come in I would give it to her. She was happy & I was even happier!!!
I just had to let you know- don't be worried that you can eat more until your fill that's normal. I wish I would have had someone tell me about that because I was panicking!! It's normal that was your stomach heals- you can eat  the fills are when the band really starts working. Anyhow- I had to post because I'm so happy things are finally progressing!! Write if you can~ Steph!!!

Hey how are you?  Man I had to laugh when I read your post my husband was away as well, he is on hiw way home now.  He was in Ottawa on a conference for the last 3 days.  Guess what Steph, I went for my 1st fill on Wednesday.  I don't feel like I have that much more restriction.  I'm eating less for sure but definitely more than 4 oz.  I think after my 2nd fill then I will really notice it.  Nonetheless I know I need to be patient and just let things happen.  Guess what my husband won a vacation to Mexico at his work conference.  I'm so excited I think we will leave sometime in February which will give me time to lose some weight, mind you I won't be ready for a bikini, but at least I could be down 40lbs (I'm praying) by then.  I finally got a few minutes to myself before he comes home.  Don't ask me where the last 3 days have gone because I sure couldn't tell you.  I have been so busy!!!!  I thought I would send you a quick e-mail to say hi and let you know about my fill.  I'm so happy for you Steph that is great news 3 1/2 pounds is a lot!!!!  You go girl, that is awesome news.  Talk to you soon my dear and please keep me posted on the weight loss because you don't know how much you inspire me!!!  
Laurie
Hey~ great to hear from you & I smiled when I read you had your 1st fill the day after I had my second! The 1st fill for me didn't do much, but it did teach me NOT to eat doughy things  BUT this second fill definately has me more restricted & the 3rd one makes me think that's all I'll need, but we'll see. I told my husband on the phone that I can certainly tell a difference in my eating now!!And wow- that's great that your husband won a trip to Mexico~ perfect for you to look forward to!!! We are going on a Hawaiian cruise in March & on the way back a trip to Las Vegas so I'm hoping to be down some serious weight by then! I can't wait to buy new shorts in a smaller size~ plus a new bathing suit!!! Not only that, I  actually think I will let someone take a picture of me even!!!My husband isn't back until Sunday night late so tonight is my last night alone which I'm certainly ready  for company! Last night I went to the movies by myself & saw Why I got married with Janet Jackson (chick flick) which was really good. There was a fat girl in it which I really identified with & her husband was really mean so when she met someone else and lot a bunch of weight it was great!!! I am so glad my husband supports me & thinks I'm beautiful even fat-but I want to be skinny for me!!!Write when you can & great news about the trip!!! We can tell each other about our new clothes for our trips !! Love~ Steph!!!
Hey Steph, how are you.  I'm so sorry that I haven't written but between being on course last week  and feeling really discouraged right now.  My weight doesn't seem to be changing.  I haven't lost a pound since I had my fill about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I think I will need to go for another one.  I got that book on the weekend, the one by Ali's daughter, it's called Fighting Weight.  I can  so related to what she is writing and I know that I just have to hang on and I will start to lose the weight.  I think I'm expecting to see 50lbs fall off.  I'm sorry now I totally understand  where you were a few weeks ago.  It's so hard Steph.  I'm so discouraged today and just seem clouded by my own thoughts.  I try not to think about the number on the scale but I have to be honest and say that it is still consuming me.  I am working out about 4 times a week.  So I will ride this out and schedule another fill soon.  Anyways please give me a good progress on how you are doing so I will feel encouraged.  Write soon,
Love Laurie
Hi Laurie & I've wondered where you were in posts but kept peeking back knowing you would write. DON"T get discouraged esp. after your fist fill because it didn't do anything for me either & my doctor said they can even see a 2-10lb. gain sometimes after it. I had my second fill about 4 weeks ago & definatelly notice a differnce now & I'm almost up to 20 lbs off which I had started with 10 off (on the Liquid diet) then gained back 4 (after the 1st fill) so in 8 weeks since the second fill I'm progressing  very well. Someone at my work even noticed today too!!! I even went for a 3rd fill Monday & they said I should hold off 2 more weeks since I'm loosing so well. BUT beware because after the second/third fill things really start to narrow on that hole with your band & I actully threw up badly a few times while I learned 4 ozs was all I could handle. It's amazing how I'm restricted now, but I also realize that you need time (at least 2 weeks) between each fill to understand how to eat. It also takes about 24 hours for the fill to be accurate too so it's definatelly a learning process & don't get discouraged PLEASE!!! The band isn't working for you yet, but when it does~ it really will restrict you & you will certainly know it!!! Plus, you will adjust to 4 ozs. being all you need to satisfy your hunger too!!! I worried because I had some M & Ms- but  I barley could handle half the small bag!!! I used to be able to eat at least 2 bags -no problem!!! I also have been having sugar free hot choclate at night with extra Splenda which is nice for a chocolate craving. The doctor told me when I tried to get my fill Monday that you don't need to overanalize everthing as long as you try & get the protien in & don't eat things like liquid ice cream all the time~ you can acatully eat anything BUT only 3-4 bites period & that's all you will want believe me!!!! It's truly amazing. Now I tried chicken this past Saturday & had a bad episode so I won't be having chicken unless it's extra moist, but you will learn that too. White rice & spegitti are absolute nos as well!! All these things you learn between those fills so now is a learning time, but also remember your daily vitiman and plenty of water to keep your bowels moving. I'm exercising too but my shouder is bothering me this past week so  I'm not going to the gym as many nights although I play badminton again Sunday. You will lose girl believe me & are about to find out exactly what the lap band can do for you individually so weather you get there on the second, third, fourth or however many fills --- it DOES work!!!  Also, in that book we both read- I was surprised when I red that Allaih & her mother both sometimes had the band  deflated when they were going to a special event & then gained back some weight so I was thinking~ why would you do that? I love knowing I'm not pigging out, but am well satisfied with just a few tastes. I finally feel dainty for a change instead of a hungry wolf pretendign I'm not hungry.Love you Laurie  & know you are on the road to loosing & although it isn't as fast as  we'd liek- I think it's lots more permanent as well as more satisfying!!! Steph!!! Write soon!
I am so happy to hear what you gals are going through. It makes me feel "normal." I've lost 20 pounds since Septmeber 7 and have had 1 fill - but it seemed to do nothing for me. Fortunately I haven't gotten sick, but a few times felt a sort of indigestion where I had to chew a couple of Tums - I think I was too full - if that makes any sense. I have learned that I cannot eat rice, it feels like it gets stuck and makes my left shoulder ache - like when I had surgery and the gas was rolling in my abdomen and settled in my shoulder - to me that was the worst part of the surgery. I'm eager for my second fill - I want to be full on 4 oz, and not counting the hours til my next feeding. I get out and walk 4 times a week with my 2 Goldens - which I love. I, too, can't wait to be down 50 pounds and am giving away my big clothes. I have a pair of pants that I can pull down without unbuttoning them, that's so funny to me - and makes me feel like I'm not that "big girl" that I once was.
Everyone keep up the good work and the words of encouragement. Even though I don't correspond very often, I do read what's going on, it verifies my thoughts are normal.
Keep it going girls!  :-)
Hey Steph so glad to hear from you.  Thank you so much for your post and yours too "i'm teet".  I know that this is a lull I'm going through and things will get better.  I think I have had some experiences with restrictions (it feels like something is stuck in my throat).  I sometimes need small sips of water or something because I can't stand the feeling of the stuckness (new  word)....hahahaha.  I do appreciate you encouraging me it means a lot to me.  I know things will get better, but I think my husband was expecting more because if I go to eat something he says "can you have that".  I tell him yes I can still eat it because I don't have restriction but come  the time when I full restriction no I won't be able to eat it.  I know he doesn't fully understand.  I'm half way through the book  "fighting weight" and  I find it an awesome book.  I would really love to write her and have looked on the web for her e-mail address because we share a lot of similarities (sp), as my father also suffers from Parkinson's.  I'm so proud of you Steph, I can't tell you how happy I am for  you at the loss of 20lbs and you too i'm teet, that just thrills me to hear that.  I was hoping for 30lbs down for when my husband and I go to Mexico in January, so maybe there is a chance that I will reach that, it is part vacation and part business trip and so a lot of his fellow employees will be there (probably with their thin wifes" so I want to look my best for my husband.  It will be nice to have more restriction so I will eat like the rest of the thin people there.  My husband noticed something on the weekend and I think what  he said has a lot of truth even through I denied at first and then went back to him and told him he was right, he noticed that I'm going through some huge conflict with regards to saying goodbye to food.  We went  out to dinner with another couple on Friday night and I was going to bring back to our hotel room (we were away for the weekend) my leftovers, well  I would never have done  that in a million years and  he asked me when will you eat that?  I said later on tonight if I get hungry (which if you know me once 7:00pm comes, I'm finished eating for the night).  I guess if I had to be honest with myself (which is what  I said I would do when I had the operation, I was going to get better emotionally, physically and spiritually) he was absolutley right,  but the thought of throwing out over half the  meal real bothered me.  I also find  myslef looking at muffins, donuts and all that **** and I never use to be drawn to look as much as I am now.  I don't know what  is going on maybe I am grieving the thought that some foods will be off bounds to me and am having trouble accepting it.  Yet I knew that going into this.  I will mourn this time in my life but will move past it.  I just asked my husband to bear with me as I didn't understand why I'm doing what I'm doing but  I know that this is something that I just have to go through.  It will get better.  Funny on Saturday we were at a speical dinner and don't ask me why I did it but I had a diet pop, well, WHAT A MISTAKE.  The soda went past the band alright, but the gas bubbles made  my stomach expand, I looked about six  months pregnant and  boy did it hurt.  I won't be  doing that again.  At one point in the dinner  I had to leave the table because the pain was so bad!!!!!  So that is where I'm at right now, I don't know if you  ladies have experienced the same as myself with seperation anxiety with food, if so please let me know.  I need to know that  this too is a passing thing and I will get turned around soon.  Thanks again for your listening ear.  Steph you  so incourage me!!!!!!!  I can't thank you enough and again I'm so happy for you and the weight loss.  
Love  Laurie
Hello all! It's been busy lately & I've glanced back to see if any posts but it seems posts are scarce so I wonder if you all are  between fills and hoping to drop quicker before you post. I went for my 3rd fil but was loosing so well I didn't get it (2 weeks agao) although I feel like I better get one now because at time it seems I'm still eating too much although I'm almost down 2 more lbs. It's coming off slow but steady although with teh holiday coming up I'm worried I may overindulge!!! I have had a few cravings although I give in sometimes to just a bite or two which seems to satisfy. I have also had flat soda which tastes good, but does seem to bloat my stomach so I think staying away from that is the best idea. BUT my real problem is that some foods just stick & there's no real rhyme or reason as to why?? I'm thinking it may be just the way they fall on the stoma like a sheet of paper falling on a crack just the right way, but whatever I usually  just stop eating at any sign.... People are noticing my loss now, but I really want to loose so much more before Christmas although I'm thrilled I have lost over 20 lbs which I haven't done in over 20 years so progress is bening made desite it being slow... I'm hanging in though & letting each small success guide me on since I feel like my losses are for good this time!!! I'm playign abdminton Laurie & also workignout but it's mostly my eatign habits I'm tryign to monitor although the doctor told me not to overanalize & let the band stop me which I believe somes with time. I know I'm learning every week & just keeping on track. It may be slower than I'd like,but it's working.Love forever & always & keep up the good work!  Have you had your second fill yet? Steph!!!
Hey Steph, I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while, but I couldn't get on to the web site from my other computer.  I had been trying now for a week.  I have had my second fill but I feel no restriction.  I'm going for my 3rd Monday the 26th.  So hopefully that will help.  I'm down about 21lbs but that is including the optifast.  For the last 3 weeks I hadn't lost anything but since my 2nd fill I have lot 1lb.  Like yourself I wish it was more.  I spoke to Janey, she hasn't lost anything and is feeling really discouraged.  My heart goes out to her because if anything we definitely understand how sensitive we becomse especially since we are trying to loose weight so bad.  I just told her to hang on and that it will come, but that is easier said then done.  Again I feel so bad and wasn't sure how I was going to get a hold of you.  Here is my e-mail address just in case it should happen again that I can't get on;  it is ***@****  Hey how is your daughter doing?  Has she adjusted just fine to living out on her own?  Steph I'm so proud of your weightloss that is wonderful news, congratulations!!!!!!!  Happy Thanksgiving as that is only 3 days away.  My friend and I are heading to the Buffalo area to shop on Black Friday.  I'm really excited because I love all of the deals to be had.  Well write when you can and keep up the great work.  
Laurie
Hi~ glad to see your post & I've been out of town visiting family for Thanksgiving as well & shopped Black Friday too & am happy to report that I can fit into extra large sized shirts inethwomen's depat. now which has me thrilled !! Although my pants only have gone down 1 size- I am still very anxious!!! I wish I was up to 30 lbs loss,but with the holiday I don't know... I have another fill tomorrow.They did a half fill the week before Thanksgiving but I was having some trouble throwing up so I wanted to be able to eat something. I tried turkey- but your doctor was right- no way could I eat that!!! I haven't been regualr lately on playing badminton either sicne I've been so busy, but I'm getting back more on the court because I want to start loosing more to get below 200 soon. Your email was blocked above so contact me at lawbing3 then put that @ sign then type yahoo dot com. Hopefully that will go through so we can chat more regular. I hope you get this because I want to discuss this belly ache I keep getting late in the afternoon & I want to know if others are experiencing this. I try Rolaids, Alka Selzer -everything but nothing seems to work. I feel gassy too so I just wantto know if this is normal. My nail tech. told me that one of her other cleints had her band slip off & I was stunned to hear that!! She said the woman stared throwing up terribly -but  I'm asking my doctor about that & this belly ache both~ tomorrow. I'm pretty happy with the reasults, but I still can't help but wnat to loose faster!!! My daughter lost her job in Columbus but still has her apt. there so she is waitressing back here in Cincinnati tryign to find something full-time again. She is thinking of becoming an obtomitrist's technician  which there seems to be a need for and her Bachelor's degree credits may transfer into. I feel for her,  but she is speading her wings & finding her way & my husband and I are always here for support. I'm excited today becaus ewe bought new furniture for ourselves last night fro our X-mass gift & I can't wait to get it B/4 Christmas!! Write me at yahoo.com -Don't forget to put teh lawbing 3 & the @ sign before that)  Love Steph!!!
Hi all. I had my second fill on November 20, added 1cc, and it has made a huge difference. I think - because I avoided the scale - that between first fill and second fill I gained maybe 4 pounds. Well that's off and I'm down another 1-1/2. I'm full faster and it seems to stay with me. I know when I eat something too fast or don't chew very good, and I really avoid breads and rice, they just get stuck and my mouth starts sweating, like I'm going to vomit - but, it passes fairly quickly. My son said I eat as much as my 2 year old granddaughter. I do not deprive myself of anything, but I take care of the craving with a bite and it really helps. The weather here in the Midwest has been kinda crappy so I haven't been out and walked. I will start that tomorrow, because I really need to get into an exercise routine.
People are noticing that I'm dropping weight. That makes me feel like "I can do this". There are only a select few that know what I did. It's my discretion to tell who I want to tell.
Everyone keep up the efforts - it will pay off.
Hey how are you.  Congrats on the weight loss.  I have had 3 fills and one slight defill as I was too full and was being sick.  I had to much getting stuck.  I'm great now.  People here are starting to notice that I'm loosing weight as well which just gives you more inspiration.  I love the fact that I'm fitting into smaller clothes as well.  I know that when I get to my goal that I will be buying a lot of new clothes, a reward to a job well done.  I can't wait for those days to arrive.  Take care of yourself I'm teet and keep up the wonderful work.
June
Hi everyone...I really enjoyed reading all of your comments! I am scheduled for lap-band surgery this week (13 Dec.) and I will be so glad to get off of the OptiFast--it's starting to get to me! I've already lost about 8 lbs over the past two weeks, so I feel like that's a sign that this is going to work.. My only concern right now is that I had to have a root canal last week and I'm worried that that will somehow cause a delay in my surgery. I'm ready for this to happen--no delays please! In any case, I'm 30, have been overweight most of my life, and am tired of always feeling out-of-breath, unattractive, and worried that something bad could happen to me before I have a chance to have children! My boyfriend is super supportive, and I hope that by this time next year I'll look good enough to start looking for a great wedding dress!
Hi Laurie & Ellie~ First LAurie, I've lost your email address onmy yahoo account so write me there & I will be more regular with posts. (lawbing3 with eteh at sign then yahooo dot com) I'm doing great- almost down 35 lbs & very near my sweet spot. Ellie please understand that the sweet spot comes AFTER your surgery and after several fills- thenyou really begin to drop the weight because you only eat 4 ozes per meal with no snacking. I've been a bit bad lately eating chocolate & ice cream because of the holidays- but I'm still loosing because I'm down to about only 4 ozes per meal BUT teh guilt is goen & I'm enjoyignmy 1st X-mas in years I'm guilt free & thankful of the fact I finally took action toward positive & permanent weight loss!!! Laurie -instead of size 18 Levis- I'm going for sice 16 Levis!!! Yeap afetr the New Year I'm reving up my exercise thus adding extra toward loosing!!! Our new furniture came yesterday & it's beautiful- except the dining room set won't be in until after X-mas -BUT I love what I have & I love myself esp. this year & I also love the fact we are going to Hawaii in March!!!! Laurie glad to hear that people are noticing your loss & it certainly helps  motivate you~ that's why I'm going for the Levis in size 16!!! Love & write soon~ Steph!!!
Anyone heard of Julianne Kennedy? She has a website and a  
newsletter about Lap Band weight loss surgery which is ok but she just  
wrote a report she's giving away which is really good. It talks  
about 7 reasons why consumerist-society is designed for obese  
people to fail.

I won't tell you too much but its here if you want to get a  
copy -  
http://www.weight-loss-surgery-secrets.com/controversial/free_wls_ report.htm

To get it though you've gotta subscribe, but there's no ads or  
anything in the report. Its about 26 pages with pictures and she's  
written the first half like a story that is pretty good.
Hi--Thanks for the info. I am now about 10 days post-surgery and so far I'm feeling great, and even though I haven't even had my first fell, I think I'm much more attentive to my body and when I'm starting to get full--I eat only small amounts of soup, and I'm very careful about making sure what I do eat is nutrionally sound. I'm on to full liquids finally--I'm looking forward to being able to go out for dinner and ordering some sort of soup without having to make sure it's something clear. My boyfriend says that because of the weight loss I experienced before the surgery (thanks to Optifast), I'm already snoring less! Yeah! I feel very good overall and my incisions--tiny--are heaing very well. I'm so glad I went through with the surgery and I cannot wait to begin eating real foods and starting the weight loss process! Any tips/suggestions from those of you already on the journey would be highly appreciated!!!
Ellie
ellie~ Hi it's Lawbing3 & I've been busy with the holidays, but just saw your post. Hope you are doing well & the best advise I have for you is  to understand that you may loose slow until you hit you're "sweet spot" fill which will be when you only eat 4 ozs per meal then weight should come off quicker. My doc. said to try to only eat at meals but I have a string cheese at times or an orange or a 100 calorie pk. of those cookies if I get hungry. At night, I sometimes have I have the sugarfeee hot chocolate in milk as a treat. I'm finding that I actully am NOT sticking to eating the way I should have when on Weight Watchers or another diet because I'm not hungry which is wonderful!! I do execrcise although through the holidays I've been lapse but because I've hit my sweet spot the weight is coming off steadily. My point in this post is~ everyone wants to be instantly skinny  esp. after having any weight loss surgery- but be patient with yourself and learn to use your band as the weight loss tool that it is designed to be! You will get there & it is so much more satisfying knowing that you have relearned how to eat & now esp. the way you should have been eating your whole life!! I can now say that I've read other lap-band sites & seen plenty of  bad posts that did not help me so keep the faith honey & know that your bad eating habits are a thing of the past & despite a mess up here or there ~you will STILL attain your goal of being skinny. Keep going in for your fills & consults with your doctor & discusss with him or her any concerns and be patient & before you know it you will be up to a 40 lbs loss then 50 then whatever~ because it gets easier & easier as you get used to eating correctly!! Lawbing3
on my last post it should have said ~~I am NOW sticking to eating the way I should have on Weight Watchers, etc... sorry my typing is slower than my thoughts- Lawbing3
Hey..thanks again for the advice. I had my first check up with my surgeon last week and everything is going well. I'll be getting my first "fill" on Jan. 29th and I am really looking forward to that!! I can't wait to get back to regular foods and I'm really excited about feeling like I'm in control of my ow eating! I already feel so much better--partly because I've lost around 15 lbs and partly because I just feel like I'm finally in control of my own body and my own future! I don't get nearly as tired as I used to and I've noticed that I can walk further without getting out of breath...I'm so glad I did this--despite the fact that I had to pay for it all myself. :) How's your progress?
Weight Loss - these two words has been part of our everyday lives. A lot of people I know are having problems with their weight that sometimes, bad things happen due to peer pressure and stress. I am one of them too. Good thing I found Julianne Kennedy's site. While browsing online, I've noticed that Kennedy is giving away free newsletter on weight loss surgery. I clicked on it and was surprised that it was not one of those propagandas. You are not required to click on ads, nothing at all. All you have to do is to subscribe to her newsletter by entering your e-mail address. Why don't you try it? It has enlightened me on things regarding weight loss; I want to help you too.
http://www.weight-loss-surgery-secrets.com/controversial/free_wls_report.htm
Hey, I would first like to say thank you, for all the info everyone has provided. I am scheduled for lapand on March 11th and I am nervous as all hell! I am reading everything I can about it but, I much prefer to hear actual stories. Any advice or tips pre-op would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
This is to everyone that will listen. I'm a 37 female whose watched her mothers life turn into hell since lap band surgery.  My mother has battled weight for much of her life.  Of course in her younger days, she was known for her great figure and was even a professional NFL cheerleader.  She is 5 ft and yo yo'd with her weight for the last 20 years. She is a stress eater so that is what started her problems and has many times topped out at 200lbs.  It was causing her alot of health problems and making her very depressed.  But I will say, when she would exercise she would drop weight quickly.  She had her gallbladder removed, but still has problems with that from time to time.  I don't recommend that for anyone.  Diet alone can help take care of that.  Anyways, she finally decided to have the Lap band done and it's been 2 years.  She did lose about 75 lbs but I will say I had never seen someone vomit so much.  I would watch her eat cheezits by the box full and live on sweets because that was all she could keep down.  When she would finally eat a meal, she would go throw it up.  She  threw up so much that her lap band slipped and she had to get another one.  We were all very concerned and were starting to see signs of an eating disorder.  I think she liked so much to hear how great she looked, that it was in her mind, if she ate a meal she would not loose weight, so she lives off of junk.  Her body is starting to pay for it and has been in the hosptial several times for joint pain and chest pain. We tried to tell the doctor  we thought she might have an eating disorder and they looked at us and said " people that get lap band, do vomit ".  And that was it.  We were furious!!!  She can hardly get out of bed in the morning, which is not like my mother. She is a go-getter and is always cleaning or on the go, even when she was heavy.  Her joints hurt so bad that my dad has to pull her underwear up for her.  She has been to many specialist and all they can tell her is that she has arthritis.  No one will listen to the fact that her diet is horrible and that she still vomits.  I understand that it works for some, but for us, it's been a living hell.  I want my mothers life back, not for just her, but for her grandkids.  It's not just about loosing weight.  It's about the underlying issues of why we turn to food for comfort.  Lap band my be great for short term, but it doesn't fix the battles you live with on the inside.  And I believe that until your at peace with yourself, lap band will not be the only answer....it could make it worse.....like my mothers.
I'm a Lapband patient (09/08) and very upset about my decision to go this route,  I completely agree wt ManleyRose and am also experiencing the symptoms she describes and worse at time.  This procedure is awful awful n awful !  My teeth are beginning to show the effects of constant throwing up saliva,  when food is stuck in the port your brain produces huge amounts of saliva thinking it needs it to digest the cow it has swallowed! when the reality of it is you have an ounce of food stuck in your pouch that won't go down mainly because you bit off more then you can chew, kinda of what lapband is all about!  I am terrified of the long term effects this saliva build up will have on my throat some day !!!!  I am considering having the band removed, I should of kept my 17K and got counseling instead !