Info on the Lap Band weight loss surgery
I'm looking for information on the "Lap Band" weight loss method. I guess I'm not looking in the right places on the net because all I'm finding are ads for doctors who do the procedure. I want info on it, not a commercial.
Has anyone out there had this procedure and if so, did it work?
I don't do the operation myself but I'm very familiar with it, and without doubt if I were going to have weight loss surgery, or refer someone for it, I'd choose lap band over bypass, for every possible reason: it's much safer, by far. The weight loss is not as rapid, but over time it's the same; in fact, there's more chance of long-term weight gain with bypass than with banding. It's adjustable; it's easily removeable, should that be necessary. It's cheaper. It can be done as an out-patient procedure (not every place does it that way, but there are some who've done many hundreds as out-patients.) The main advice is to find a surgeon who is very experienced with it; preferably one who does only weight-loss surgery, or at least who does lots of it.
Thanks doc! If I decide to go the surgical way, that will be the one I'll go.
http://www.chasefreedom.com/lapband.html
offers a good review of this procedure I copied it below....

"Lap-Band"
Information and Review

The Lap-Band is an inflatable banding system that is placed around the upper stomach to limit food intake in severely obese individuals. The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) gave BioEnterics' Inamed unit permission to market the Lap-Band in June 2001. However, recent concerns have surfaced regarding the safety of the medical device. Some doctors now think that the FDA's approval was premature.

The FDA's action approved Lap-Band for use only in patients at least 100 pounds overweight or patients who are at twice their ideal body weight and who have failed to lose weight by diet and exercise over an extended period of time. They did not want individuals who were looking for a quick weight loss surgery or were not previously under physicians care.

The FDA concedes that nearly 90% of the patients in a Lap-Band study experienced at least one of the following side effects: nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, heartburn and slippage of the band. Additionally, nearly 25% of the participants had the band removed due to such side effects or inadequate weight loss.

According to a four-year study of the first 36 users of Lap-Band, the primary reasons for removing the gastric device included infection, leakage, and band slippage.

The FDA approved Lap-Band based upon a comparison of its risks and benefits. Severely obese people are at serious risk of developing health problems such as hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease and diabetes.

Such a procedure should be reserved for the seriously obese with life threatening health problems. Taking weight loss out of your conscious decision making is a dangerous game to play with your body. It seems to me that if a person without life threatening health problems is this desperate to lose weight that they should be able to find the motivation to follow the sensible and inexpensive course of eating healthy and learning to add exercising to their daily life. Consult your doctor, and be honest with yourself: Have you really expended all your options?
Tiffc,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the devils advocate side of the Lap Band procedure.

But I DO NOT appreciate being lectured to by a total stanger who has no clue about my medical history or what I have or have not tried in an effort to lose weight! Who are you anyway? Are you a physician who specializes in weight loss? Because a person like that is the only person I will take a lecture from and only when he or she has full knowledge of my medical history.
I suggest you tone down your comments that you write in the future to other total strangers. I will dismiss your rude assumptions about me because I tend not to take ignorant comments personally. I realize that it is just ignorance. And I'm used to dealing with ignorant people. But someone out there that you write one of your rude assumptive comments to might not have such a thick hide as I do and you're going to hurt feelings that do not to be hurt.
You sound like a person who has never had a weight problem. I'm assuming that because of your once again ignorant comment about how if one has serious health problems due to obesity, then that should be enough motivation to lose the weight. That's not only ignorant, that's dumb.
Do all of us who are reading this a favor. Think before you write another comment to those of us who are on this website looking for educated information.
Kelly
I'm actually going to a seminar this evening with several surgeons in my area that perform the procedure. You may want to check your area for seminars. I'm looking forward to listening to what they have to say and gives an opportunity to ask questions.
Hi Sodeba,
Thanks! I got a packet from a group close by. I guess I'm primarily chicken to commit even to just a seminar. If you hear anything that you think we can use, can you let us in on it?
Thanks again!
Kelly
Navy Mom

I understand your frustration but I think a past poster was only showing you the pluses and minuses of the Lapband procedure,not in my opinion lecturing you. You of course know, you need to investigate all the facts before you resort to this procedure or for that matter any operation that involves the added complication of going under general aneasthasia ( **** spelling, I'm a lay person) I am overweight and deal on a constant basis with people who believe I stuff my face with rubbish everyday when in fact I eat very little.  I know that I have tried to exercise daily but it is a struggle for me ( respiratory problems) however it is those same problems which would make an operation even more complicated?? Sometimes you can't win, but you need to focus on all the options, with an open mind.  I hope you can find a solution soon. Because I know losing weight can be very benificial to us!!

All the best
Jane
early studies of lap-band were more negative for several reasons: the earlier devices were less good. The experience of the surgeons was brief. Techniques for implantation have evolved. There are several studies now, and reports of several very long series (I know of a group that does only lap-bands, and has done approaching 900 of them. The slip rate is about 1%. The removal rate is zero (they have had to remove some that were placed in Mexico, but have removed none of their own.) The weight loss is very impressive. As I said previously, it's important to have it done by surgeons who are dedicated to weight-loss surgery and are very experienced in it, and who provide post-op ongoing support.
I should add one more thing: a "slip" is not really a slip. What happens is that bands are there to restrict food intake. Some people try very hard to force food in anyway, and when that happens, the stomach above the band can stretch. In virtually all cases of "slip," it's due to the patient vomitting frequently from trying to eat to much. In other words, there is a small number of patients who do it to themselves: nothing is perfect. Even with a band, you have to follow certain rules. The good news is that in most patients, the band, in addition to restriction, causes diminished appetite so it's not a problem to cut back.
There is a great group of surgeons in my area that do this procedure. Dr. Ponce actually has taught many surgeons throughout the country. His website is www.gastricbandinstitue.com  They do the surgery in three places: Memorial Hospital, Chattanooga, TN
        Hamilton Medical Center Dalton, GA
        In their outpatient center in Dalton, GA (this is the least expensive option)about $13-14 thousand.
Thanks for the additional info doc. It's people like Tiffc that swoops into fact finding forums like this one and vomits old, inaccurate information. I believe (I'm assuming again and I admit it) this person has little knowledge of anything medical because if he or she knew anything medical, he/she would know that MOST things medical evolve and/or change, not necessarily for the better sometimes, over short periods of time. Three years as in the 2001 study that Tiffc regurgitates is only a blink of a medical eye. Tiffc does not know this (assuming again) because if he/she knew this, he/she wouldn't have made a fool of him/herself with the old information. Wow! I went off on another tangent again! Sorry.
Anyway, I'm sorry for your "double edge sword" situation Jane. Respiratory problems makes it dificuly for you exercise and the like, but those same problems prevent you from going under an "elective" general anesthesia for the Lap Band.
HEY DOC!!
Sorry to yell! Since this procedure is considered minimally invasive, do you think it's possible to have this done under a so called twilight sleep and as much local anesthesia as possible? I feel badly for Jane.
I can relate to your situation Jane. I have horrible knees. One has had 5 surgeries on it for an injury that still haunts me. That was the primary source of my weight gain to begin with. And the other knee is bone on bone now, although it was good until the injury of the other knee, because I've had to rely on it for a few years now as my "bad" knee can not be relied on, even to this day. So the orthopedic docs that I've seen have told me I need to lose weight (they said I could get away with losing 30 pounds, enough to ease up on the knees) so I can have a knee replacement on the "good" knee. But I have found that the only way I'll be able to lose weight effectively is with exercise now that I've tripped over the big four 0 recently. I'm 42. But it hurts too much to exercise effectively. That's just twisted isn't it?!  Used to be I could just think of losing weight and that's all it took to lose it! Well almost anyway. Not anymore. Darn! I hate getting old!! It's funny. My mind keeps telling me that I'm still 22. But then there's my knees. Their screaming about 100 or so.
Good luck Jane!
Thanks again doc!
Kelly
Thanks rad tek!
I wish I lived in that area of the country. I live in the San Antonio area.
I'm wondering about your nickname. Are you a x-ray tech.? I've been a CT, mammo., plain films, bone density and whatever else they can think of tech. for 13 years or so. So I noticed your call letters.
Thanks again rad tek.
Kelly
Respiratory problems need not necessarily prevent someone from having general anesthesia. Asthma patients can have anesthesia, with extra special care. Of course, there are other respiratory problems, such as C.O.P.D., which can also be safely managed under general anesthesia. I know this, because I've given patients anesthesia with such problems, and they've done well postoperatively. Ask lots of questions of your caregivers. I'm a retired nurse anesthetist.
Whereas it's "minimally invasive," it must be done under general anesthesia because the muscles need to be fully relaxed (requiring mechanical ventilation) in order to inflate the abomen to see within it.
Hi marjalo!
I know you directed your posting to Jane but I thought I'd butt in. I'm freakishly interested in pretty much anything medical. I try not to be too much of a nerd.
Anyway, I guess I figured that you guys wouldn't want to risk anything for an elective surgery. Are the med's for general anesthesia better than they used to be? Or are the anesthesiologists more knowledgable about respiratory disease? I hate being put under personally. I wake up and vomit and vomit. I hate to throw up. I guess bulemia's out for me.
Hey Jane, there you go! I don't know what or how bad your respiratory problems are, but maybe you can check into the Lap Band or one of those weight loss methods. Good luck Jane!!
Hi again doc! Thanks once more for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to help us.
I guess I knew a general was necessary but I thought I'd take a stab at it. I don't think I would want to be awake for that anyway. I can watch people being cut on all day long, but when it's my body, I don't want to see it. I don't want to hear it. And I really don't want to smell it!
Take care!
Kelly
Wow, I think Tiffc must of hit a nerve. Maybe your hide is not as thick skinned as you think. I think Tiffc made some valid points and it didn't appear she was condescending to you. Whatever you choose for yourself, I hope it works out and you lose the weight you want to lose. Good luck.
Hello Astros18,
The only nerve Tiffc hit was the one that upsets me when a complete stranger presumes to know my medical history and my weight losing efforts. Oh yeah, one more nerve she or he hit. I am a medical professional and something wht makes my job a ton harder is when someone preaches outdated information that is inaccurate, poorly quoted, and can scare people who must have the most accurate info so they can make informed decisions without fear. Unless you are a medical professional, I'm not sure you can know what I really mean. I have dealt with patients who have worked themselves into a panic by the time they get to me because of what ill informed people and so called friends are saying. I think it's hugely presumpuous to spout information like that to strangers on the internet!
Yes, Tiffc has valid points. ANY medical procedure, invasive or not, should be taken seriously and only the seriously obese or those who have serious medical problems due to the obesity should consider weight reduction surgery. The simpliest of minds can figure that out. Although we have all heard of people who will find a doctor willing to do surgery on them even though they do no qualify for the surgery.
And lastly, she was indeed condesending by telling me and others that need to lose a lot of weight that all we need to do to lose is to try harder. And that these weight loss surgery's should only be reserved for those who have a life threatening condition(s) due to the obesity. Oh, and the kicker, I need to be honest with myself. Does she have big brother watching me! I find this entire paragraph condesending. And that, astros18, hits that nerve we talked about earlier.
Have a good week and thank you for the good luck you gave me.
Take care,
Kelly
I reread Tiffc's post and again I thought it was okay, but again, I'm not the one she was posting to. It seems to me that in the last few weeks I have heard of some possible problems with the lap bands, but I can't remember what they were. Being in the health care field does give you certain advantages over those of us who are not, but I feel it is condescending of you to imply that we may not be capable of making an informed decision. Again, for me, as I'm sure for you, doing something like this surgery or any surgery is not an overnight decision. The pros and cons must be considered. I know that for me, the only reason I am overweight is that I eat too much and don't get enough exercise. If I wasn't honest with myself, I am sure I could find a million reasons for my fat belly! There are a lot of people out there who are looking for a quick fix whether it's in a pill or surgery. Being in the health care profession, I am certain you see that a lot. As far as the people who have worked themselves into a frenzy with misinformation, that's their fault. Everyone has a personal responsibility as a patient to research and find as much info. as possible about their condition. That makes one a more informed patient and in my opinion a better one.
Hi Astro18,

What did I write to make you think that few people other than  health care professionals can make informed decisions?? Am I on a different planet? Oh well I give up!!  Okay, if I implied that almost only health care professionals can make informed decisions, then that's pretty silly and I apologize! If you would though, please tell me what I wrote to imply that and I will work on not writing it anymore. And really, all I said was that as a medical professional (more specifically, a radiology technologist) I see folks come to me in a panic, literally, because of exaggerated and/or false information they have heard from different places. Honest! I'm not making this stuff up. And all I do as a tech is to try to calm them down and help them understand what's really happening. How is that condesending?! And where did I write about having a million excuses for my big hips (or your big belly as you said)? And, as a health care professional, what I see on a daily basis are people lying on my CT table for their 6 month follow up to see if their cancer is shrinking, or better yet, gone. My patients are folks like that. Not people who are worried about their weight. They're more worried about if this disease is going to kill them, and if it is, how long do they have. And I assume the reason they come to me in a frenzy is because first off,  their emotions are more raw than they would be if they were healthy, and secondly, many people tend to believe want they hear or read as the gospel, good or bad. Anyway, what's really important here, to me anyway, making sure my patients have the right information, not speculation. Of course weight loss surgery is not EVEN close to my patients problems!  
I really didn't write this forum thinking that I was going to have to defend myself from people telling me who should and who shouldn't have the Lap Band procedure and people presuming that I haven't done enough to "deserve" this procedure. I just wanted information, not advertisment which was all I could find, about the Lap Band. Really, that's all I was trying to do! And I thought I had succeeded until a few days ago when Tiffc chimed in. The doctor helped me out with information I was looking for. That was comment number two. I really have to lean towards believing what the surgeon has to say over Tiffc. That just seem like common sense to me.
I'm tired. This has just become too hard! Besides, I have what I came for. The doc helped me out. Thanks doc!! Have a good summer all.
Kelly
Hi Navy_mom...

I have to say I didn't read the entire thread but I did see that you are interested in the band and were looking for information, not advertisement. I believe I also saw you are in San Antonio. At the risk of sounding like an advertisement...email me at ***@**** and I might be able to get you some good info for your area.

Robin
Obviously you feel under attack, and I didn't mean for you to feel that way.The whole purpose of a forum is honest conversation. Everything I wrote applies to me. I would never presume anything about you. Just remember that everyone's "truths" are different. They come from everyone's own personal experience. I listened to my surgeon who told me I would feel better once I got my gallbladder out, and I don't. It started a whole host of other problems. I should have taken the time and talked to people who had it done before I made my decision. The outcome may have been different. And what I posted about patient responsibility still applies, in my opinion. I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to try and soothe people who want to know if their cancer is gone. You have tremendous responsibility to them. Again, I apologize if you feel attacked, it was not my intention, just trying to conversate. Good luck with your surgery, if that's what you decide to do.
Hi all,
Where would you have seen me Banddiva? I'm assuming (assuming get me into more trouble?):) you think you saw me at a LapBand seminar? I've never been to a LapBand seminar anywhere. I've only gone as far as asking for an info packet from a doctor down there in San Antonio and doing research on the internet.

And to be honest with everyone, I rather doubt if I'll go forward with any kind of weight loss surgery. I went on this website because I was trying to be responsible and thoroughly research the LapBand. I just heard of it for the first time a few weeks ago and I was curious if the procedure was as mimiumally invasive as what I had heard. This website and the doctor who answered my question in posting c1 was a good experience until Tiffc chimed in with his or her personal opinions. She or he just struck me the wrong way and my fangs and claws came out.
Anyway, on a different subject, I had my gallbladder removed when I was 18. Although I was a normal, thin 18 year old girl, I had right upper quadrant pain with other symptoms so my doctor stuck me a cut happy surgeon and the rest is history. I'm with you Astro, if I had to do it over again, I would never have had my gallbladder taken out!! I still have symptoms today from having the gallbadder taken out. And I'm 42.
I agree with you in that patients do need to take responsibility for their own health, but I think there are many people out there who are pretty ignorant to stuff like that. And then there are those who completely freeze up when it comes to their health. Not so much something like the LapBand, but you know, scary stuff that they think they might have. I don't know how to explain it. But I see A LOT of it in the people who come to me for x-rays and stuff.
It was not so much you Astro who made me feel attacked. It was Tiffc. And maybe I read everything you and Tiffc wrote totally wrong. Maybe I completely misunderstood. So if I did, I truly apologize!
Good evening all.
Kelly  
I know you are in the health care field and many people who are don't like alternative medicine, but there is interesting information regarding liver and gallstones on curezone.com. I have done the liver flush despite being told it was not possible to have liver stones, and received tremendous relief from all that right side rib cage pain. FYI, as well, when I did my colon cleanse and colonics, I lost 10 pounds and actually had a flat belly for the first time in my life! Are you taking digestive food enzymes? Those of us without gallbladders should be, especially a hi lipase to help us digest fats. Just wanted to pass along info. Take care.
Re: general anesthesia. General anesthesia is very safe today. If you need to have surgery, make sure that you tell your nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist that you have nausea and vomiting after anesthesia. Most likely, it's caused by the use of narcotics in the care plan. Request that your caregiver not use narcotics, if possible. I always make this request, and I haven't barfed postoperatively ever since (I've had several surgeries in the last few years). I'm a retired nurse anesthetist. Trust me; general anesthesia is safe!

I finally started telling the anesthesia people about the post- op vomiting. I think they put something in my IV to stop it and it usually works. I do believe that general anesthesia is safe. I just thought that if someone had a chronic respiratory problem and they wanted an elective surgery, it would be hard to find a doctor that would agree to do it. I was trying to ask the anesthesia question for Jane1. I guess she has a respiratory problem. When she posted (C7) earlier, she sounded like she couldn't find a way to have the LapBand surgery because of her breathing problems. In my mind, if general anesthesia wasn't safe, with all of the surgery that I've had, the odds would have run out long ago for me and I wouldn't be sitting here typing (and I'm sure there are a few of you out there who would love that!)!!
Hi Astro18,
I can honestly say I have never heard of "liver stones"! But then I'm not a doctor. There are a lot of things I have not heard of. I will look on curezone.com and check it out. I also have not heard of a "liver flush". What do they do to flush the liver?
I have had periodic severe pain in the right upper quadrant since the cholecystectomy. I get pockets of gas trapped up there where the gallbladder was removed because I have adhesions (scar tissue) in that area. I finally figured out that if I take a strong laxitive, it will move the gassy buildup from under the right rib cage out and therefore completely getting rid of the pain in the RUQ. Don't presume things like "most of us healthcare people don't like alternative medicine", Astro. That'll get you in trouble, presuming that is.  A lot of my fellow healthcare workers as well as myself strongly believe in alternative treatments. I could have sworn you promised you wouldn't presume to know me (posting C20).  
Have a great day all!
Kelly
I wasn't presuming that you didn't like alternative meds. Most of the medical people I go to kind of pat me on the hand and say that's nice,dear when I tell them what I do as far as my health and herbal meds and the like are concerned! I am glad to hear that you are not that way and will be researching the liver flush. I have recommended it to some on the gastro forum and was pretty much called a fool by some medical people. For me, it makes my pain go away and it is non evasive. The epsom salts gave me terrible diarreah, but next flush I will half the dose for me. Let me know what you think about the web site, I am interested to hear your input.Take care.
I was wondering, if I am about 60 to 80 pounds overweight is a weight reduction prosses(surgery)an option? And to the lady who had her gallblader removed, what type of pains did or do you have? My doctor told me all my pain would go away when it was removed and now I have a few new problems, same type of pains just in different areas. What were the enzimes you were talking about??

Thanks All...
I have been taken to the emergency room on 2 different occasions with severe pain under right ribcage. The pain wraps around my back up into my right shoulder. Short of breath sometimes. Vomiting, shaking, sweating. I told them I was having a gallbladder attack since I knew what those were like having experienced before. When I told them I didn't have a gallbldder, they laughed me out of the ER after giving me something for ulcers. I went the next day to my local herb shop whose owner is a naturopath and she told me I had liver stones and recommended the liver flush found on curezone.com. I did it and passed hundreds of stones(many say it's not possible) and had instant relief from my pain. That lasted for over a year until more stones worked their way around again. I should have done at least 3 consective flushes but it's pretty nasty. If you do not have your gallbladder you should be taking digestive food enzymes, in particular, a hi lipase to help you digest fats and other hard to digest foods. You should take these probably the rest of your life. Not having a gallbladder changes your digestion process no matter who says it doesn't.
Hi Sebena,
I also am one of the ladies who have had pain since my gallbladder came out. I have gone to the emergency room as well because of the pain. My pain was where my gallbladder used to be, at the bottom of the right ribs. It was hard to breath because when I would take a deep breath, it was very painful. I also had sweating and nausea. I was not laughed out of the ER when they found out I didn't have a gallbladder however because it was my ER. That is to say I worked at the hospital in the x-ray department and I worked closely with the ER. The ER doc ordered a plain film x-ray of my abdomen and there was a lot of air (gas) where the gallbladder used to be. It was discovered that there is a lot of scar tissue as a result of the surgery and every now and then gas get's trapped there and creates a lot of pain. All I do is take a strong laxative and wait for the gas to move out. It works for me anyway.
As fas as the weight loss surgery goes, I'm pretty sure you have to be at least 100 pounds over weight to qualify. But maybe there are exceptions. I guess you probably need to talk to your doctor for both questions.
Good luck,
Kelly
Hi again Sebena,
It sounds like your doctor isn't listening to you. My advice is to go see another doctor. I fire any doctor that won't listen to me. The way I look at it is, I'm paying this doctor for his medical knowledge, so he's my employee. If I don't think he's listening to me, I fire him.
There's no doctor out there who can tell me that I'm not hurting when I know I am.
Good luck,
Kelly
Thanks for the adivce and comments about the gallblader. I will look into the enzimes. I have a ton of discomfort when I am really hungery. I have noticed that if I let it get to that point(not to be gross, but I then have horrible runs)and then the pain is there the whole day. I don't understand why they look it out if I am liveing with the same if not worse effects??? When I went back to my surgon to let him know of the pain(about one year after surgery)he told me ther was nothing in there that has pain sensors?? He said that the liver doesn't produce pain and that there is nothing elso over there...So why do I now have this horrible side effect?? It is like straight bile comming out of me..Can't that be really dangerous over time??? I really don't mean to be gross, but I am to my whits end so to speak with all of this pain...It also gives me problems with trying to loose weight. If I get the slightest bit hungery I feel the pain begin. If I don't eat a decent amount of food it happends all day. So any advice or thoughts are apriciatted...

Navy_mom_of_2 is correct. You need to find a doctor who will listen to you. You might find one who doesn't use surgery or drugs. They are out there. Medical doctors are taught to use drugs and if something is bothering you, to take it out. These are oftentimes not the solution. Pain is not normal. Don't ever let someone tell you it is. I think some doctors think because you can live without your gallbladder that you don't need it. You wouldn't have one if you didn't need it! Try curezone.com and check out the liver flush. It works for me and relieves my pain. It is possible to have pain in your liver. You know it and so do the many women who feel it every day. Do not give up. You may need to just shift your traditional thinking to a more alternative ones. Good luck.
Hi Navymom of 2.

I went to the seminar yesterday for Lapband surgery.
It was basically as most doctors on this forum have described it.
However, I just wanted to let you know that if you have Tricare(of any type) it does not cover the procedure. While Tricare does cover Gastric Bypass it still considers Lapband exploratory and will not cover it. I have to come out my pocket with 15 thousand.

On another point....I was reading thru the postings, and I read where you tell some posters not to judge you. Unfortunately, this is what goes on in the world everyday. HOwever, when we post our comments on these forums we have to accept that responses such as those will come, and it reminds me of what I tell my kids....
"if garbage comes on the channel you are watching....change it
please".

Thank you
Best regards.
So what you're saying is if I don't like what I'm rudely being told by people who don't know me from Adam than I can just leave the website? Well I don't back down that easily. And when I'm unfairly being judged by people who do not know me. So maybe those are the people who should leave the website. And, by the way, it's not just me their insulting. They take aim at the doctors who volunteer their time to answer our questions. Those angry people, as I wrote in another area of this website, apparently are not in control of their own lives so they think they can control other people they don't even know by talking smack to them. I have no use for people like that.
I had the lap band surgery three years ago.  Since that time I have had two other surgeries from complications with the band.  I'm currently scheduling another surgery to repair a problem caused by the band and to have the band removed.  I understand how hard it is to live being overweight.  How people are treated and looked at, but I would love to have the past three years of my life back and enjoy them being fat instead of being cut on and miserable.  I never had any health problems until the band was in my body.  I have scars all over my stomach, I can't go to dinner with my family and enjoy a moment of it, or sleep next to my husband.  The acid reflux is so bad I sleep sitting in a chair. Medicine doesn't help only the surgery will.  I have spent so much money on hospital and doctor bills.  I'm only 34 years old and can't enjoy my life.  My suggestion to anyone thinking about having the band is not to do it.  Be happy with who you are, don't let your spouse, society, tv, anything make you feel like you have to be cut on to be beautiful. Everyone is special and has a purpose in life.  Enjoy your life, family and friends.
RNR
I have to agree with you 110%  I am having mine removed after 2+ years.  good luck.
ps I also think navy mom of 2 is paranoid :~)
well actually anyone who is out there that can reply to my posting about being scared now knowing that it could destroy ones life so strongly makes me scared!  Makes me second  guess my decisions about having the lapband. I am wondering if there are alot of folks that have had bad experiences with the band?
Reading all of the information about Lapband and the posting of you wanting it removed I am so scared because I am scheduled to have it done in September    help  me understand did it go bad right from the begining? is this what they refer to as slimming ?
I was looking into having the lapband surgery.  I am about 80 pounds overweight after having my daughter one year ago.  I have never been overweight before.  As a matter of fact I was always skinny.  I was a 3/4 in middle school and my freshman year in high school.  I went to a size 5 where I stayed until I was about 22.  I then miscarried a child and during that pregnancy I lost 20 pounds from nausea and I lost so much weight.  I got to a size 2.  In my late twenties I went up to a size 8 and stayed there until I got to my mid thirties and blew up to a size 12.  At 37 I got pregnant.  My second pregnancy in my entire life and gave birth at 38.  Now 39 and my daugther will be 2 in October.  I am between a size 14-16.  I feel so fat.  I hate being the weight that I am.  I don't know how to lose it.  I don't eat a lot of food.  I know my metabolism slowed when I hit my thirties.  I had such a high metabolism that weight was never an issue.  My ankles stay swollen.  I don't have enough energy to even keep up with my daughter who is extremely active.  Is the surgery the best way for me to go?  I make okay money but I can't really afford the weight watchers or nutrisystem.  I pay $560 a month for daycare and I have a mortgage.  I do eat salads, fruit and vegetables.  I try to squeeze in a few work outs during the week.  I am a part time student, I work fulltime and I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter.  
Hello mocha5478~ I am having the lap-band surgery next week after a great deal of research on the subject as well as a great deal of soul searching. Most insurances won't pay for the procedure & it costs at least $15,000 out of pocket which I can afford at my time in life -but I'm 50 & tried Weight Watchers, Diet Workshop, Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss as well as was on Meridia- a weight loss pill provided & supervised by my doctor ~~all to no avail AND I am highly active & been fighting weight gain since I reached puberty. My advice to you is try Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig before anything else (which these programs insurance are more likely to cover) and add daily walking to your lifestyle. I recomemnd this because of your age & also afforability being a part-time student & probably a full-time worker plus mother. After you give that an honest try then decide on if lap-band surgery is for you. The cost is an investment- like the cost of a new car BUT you have to honestly weigh your options. Also, I do not recommend L.A. Weight Loss because I only lost a  total of 12 lbs on their program & a freind of mine only lost about 20lbs & BOTH of us gained it back as soon as we went off the program. It is also ULTRA expensevie to join as well as keep up. We both felt all they wanted to do was sell us their bars &  food plus vitimans. At least Jenny Craig has better food & like I said- some insurances will even supplement. Just my advice- you can take it or leave it but best of luck to you ~whatever you decide. Lawbing3
Oh & I forgot to mention - Don't bother with Nutra System either- the food is worse than bad.... my husband called it toxic & I have to agree. I have no idea how anyone can stay on that program since the food is all mostly dried & highly preserved & mashed up so much you can't even tell what it is & the taste is like drywall spackle (also terms given by my husband). ~ So if that's your decision- save your money & just buy baby food- it's 100% better & in convenient premeasured jars.....Lawbing3
Hey I have been reading this forum as well and I have to agree 100% with you.  I'm being banded in September and yes I'm nervous but I 45 years old and have been battling my weight since I was born.  Yes at 12 I weighed 199lbs.  I have tried everything under the sun to loose weight.  I just finished paying over $1500.00 in January of this year and joined Herbal Magic to loose 12lbs, big deal.  Finally I made my choice to have Lap-band surgery.  It is going to cost me $16,000.00 big ones.  I was have arthritis really bad (grandmother's side).  So I said to my husband I'm going to do everything in my power to loose this weight no matter the cost.  This is not directed at anyone, and I mean that, but this was my conversation with my husband, it's funny how sometimes we as humans think that we will accept possibly being in a wheelchair or using medical assisted aids because we get them covered by insurance, however,  for me I want to be able to walk on my own for as long as I can and if taking off the weight by being banded will help me do that then I'm all for it. My only bit of advise to anyone thinking of doing this is weigh your options.  No one absolutely no one can make that choice for you.  For me it feels right, I have lived in the bondage of my weight for my entire life.  I eat health and I work out 4-5 times a week, so it's not that I don't know what to do, it's that my body does not respond the way it should.  I wish everyone the very best in making the decision that is right for you.  I always say don't give anyone the power over you and what is right for your life, don't let anyone sail or direct your ship but you.  Oh one more thing which I did was I didn't say anything to anyone but my husband and two close friends.  I did that because I didn't want to cloud my mind with peoples' opinion.  But I did go to like I said my husband and two of my closest friends because I knew that they would speak truth into my life and would not tell me what they thought I wanted to hear but they would tell me the truth of what they felt.  ALL of them supported  me and my choice to do this and thought it was a great idea.  So if you choose to go that way pick a couple of people you know will speak truth into your life and also who can also keep their mouths shut.  Blessings to all.
Glad to hear from you (in his service) regarding your decision to have the lap-band surgery. You sound like you were in the same boat as me with a lifelong battle of weight gain. I feel certain that it has something to do with puberty & hormones esp. since after a women has children & gets closer to menopause it seems her metabolism is working in reverse as evidenced by all my friends the same age as me!!! And a lot of people say yo yo dieting doesn't help, but I feel certain I'd be even heavier if I hadn't attempted all the programs I tried in the past. Plus all the money I’ve invested in those programs has to be close to what I’m spending on the lap-band not- if not more!!! The last straw for me was when a yoga teacher asked me if she could help me to the floor in front of the whole class-like I wouldn't be able to bend or get up myself just because she looked at me ~~not knowing I'm an athlete in the Senior Olympics touring the whole Midwest with the team!!! Anyhow, I also can identify with you only telling 2 of your friends because now that the eve of my surgery is quickly upon me -I 've decided to reveal the situation to my husband & mines closest friends as to well as to my closest girlfriend who has a weight problem herself but would never invest in the operation. I worry about their remarks now~as well as IF they will be jealous after I become thin but I know it is the right decision for me and understand it will be an adjustment for them as well as for me. I hate the thought of anybody being my diet police the most --but I feel miserable lugging this weight around & just want to feel better, be faster on my team as well as look better ~ if my friends can't support that then I can adjust to keeping my distance from them. My husband & daughter support me and most importantly ~I support myself!! Good luck to you and your surgery. I hope you post your progress- I will also! Lawbing3
Yes we do sound very similar in our circumstances don't we.  Well I will definitely post my progress and I'm looking forward to hearing yours and anyone elses if they so choose that they want to join in.  I think the support is good!!!  I think a lot of people think that this is a quick answer but it is not!!!!  This method that we are taking is just a tool, we will still have to watch what we eat and exercise.  I share sooooo much with you in common, (except for the children-I never had any), mine are from my husband.  You are right I have spent so much money on diet pills, personal trainers, diet groups, I'm sure I have spent that and more like you said plus all the clothes that I had to buy when I went down and then rebuy when I went back up.  As for your friends there could be some jealousy issues there but that is because of the voids in their own life, but like you they will have to work those out on their own, you can not coddle someone and make sure they are emotionally ok because of what you  are doing in your life.  I have been thinking that along with having the surgery I'm going to get some therapy after the operation to help should I encounter negative comments including those that might come from friends because of the jealousy.  I am determined to be successful at this and I think when we have carried the excess weight for so many years that it has become an emotional battle as well.  I don't know about you I am an emotional eater and I don't want to take in more food than I am suppose to and if I hear negative things I don't want to  turn to food for comfort.  I take it since you are pretty well at your surgery date that you have started drinking that protein drink for all three meals?  Is your doctor making you do that?  Apparently it shrinks/removes excess fat from your liver so they like you to drink it for two weeks prior to your surgery.  If you are how does it taste?  If you are taking it are you hungry?  I start mine the beginning of September.  Please don't tell me what your surgery is like until after I have mine I don't want to get freaked...hahahaha.  What  I  hate most I think about being overweight is that people look at you and think you sit around and eat all day and are lazy and undiciplined.  That is the furthest thing from the truth in my life.  My doctor who is doing the lap-band actually told me that I haved dieted myself into obesity.  I just got married last November for the 1st time and what makes this operation even more special is that my husband loves me for whom I am.  He has watched me battle this emotional bondage for the last 5 years that he has known me and he doesn't encourge me to do this because he wants an arm charm, he is encouraging me to do this because he says (even tonight when we spoke about my weight) that I feel so unworthy of so much in life because he says all he sees me do is focus on my weight.  I don't know about you but this is so theraputic for me taking about this, because someone else knows what I'm going through.  Please keep in touch Lawbing3, and I will be praying for you, that God will guide the surgeons hands and that recovery will be fast for you.  
Hello again (in his service)~ I was very glad to see your response. I am on the liquid diet & I won't say it's great, but I'm totally dedicated & keep realizing my surgery date is coming SOON ~this Friday. I'm on Slim fast & alternate between the chocolate & vanilla. (the doctor & girls in the office said it tastes better than Optifast) Plus, I also am drinking bottles of water. Yesterday, I got a Dasani orange flavored vitamin water which was wonderful & will be having more of those this week for sure. (Diet drinks are also ok)  Also, I am taking about 3 chewable Fiber Com a Day with plenty of water so as not to get constipated & I look forward to them almost as if they were candy.(there is orange & cherry flavored) I also bought the chewable children's multi vitamin (store brand) and take those too just in case my body is missing any minerals etc & esp. since I will have to take them after next week anyhow & they help break up the taste of the liquid diet as well as keep me feeling pretty good. I certainly don't want to catch a cold or anything esp. now. Get some quick release Tylenol too since you can’t take aspirin, or ibpophen (sp). (this is my hardest challenge (no Aleve or Advil) with all my playing on the team since my muscles swell~ I’m basically using ice bags now.) Also, you will need a heating pad to lie on after the surgery for the gas that may be lodged up in your shoulder & I recommend also buying one of those small heated blankets (@ Linens & Things, Bed Bath & Beyond or J C Penny) that you can lay on while draping the heating pad over the front of your shoulder. You can use the small heated blanket while sitting in front of the TV this winter-or it’s great for inlaw visits. I've had TWO laparoscopies in my life & I remember the afterward on them so I'm not really worried about the surgery. We broke the news to our friends Saturday night & they took it pretty well except they admitted that they feel threatened about one of us being skinny when the rest are overweight. None of them are as overweight as I am, but I can understand their worry although they are supporting me. Their exact words were~ well now we will ALL have to get it together &  loose weight…I think that is a normal response at this point & feel that they are just digesting surprising news, plus probably thinking I’m going to be instantly skinny right after the surgery. The days ahead will make things more normal & I feel certain that they will adjust although I definitely plan on attending the support groups to help with the fall out. I’ve actually been fat for so long that I can’t imagine myself skinny, but my 50th birthday is the week after my surgery & I feel this will be HUGE milestone in my life. I want to be 50 and FAB which sounds like a pretty good plan. My husband has also been a great supporter & we have been married for 30 years & loves me for me –not anything else & this may help him loose too because we have agreed to share meals from now on  instead of buy 2 meals when we go out. Before on other diet programs,  we always tried to do that & it never really worked for long because I was always hungry. His problem has never been portion control like me. I told the lap-band doctor that  it seems because I exercise so much with the team, I think I’m hungrier & he agreed that can be definitely true. I can tell after being on this Slim Fast for a while that I have defiantly lost some weight & can’t wait to weigh myself Friday morning right before the surgery. I hope you get to read this before you start the Liquid diet & all my tips help you. Also, I’m headed to Barnes& Noble today to buy Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding by Jesse H. Ahroni to read this week. I tried Boarders & they don’t’ have it but if I have to ~I’ll order it on Amazon. Take care & I’ll keep you posted! Lawbing3!.
Hey Lawbing3...THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT HINTS ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT IS GREAT!!!!! I'm going to see if I can use slim fast instead of the optifast. I'm in Canada and they charge $50.00 a case which is a weeks supply.  I have heard mixed things about it.  I don't start the drinks until Sept 5th which is two weeks before my surgery.  My hard part will be giving up coffee, I'm going to have lots of pain killers on the side for the caffine withdrawl.  I'm getting so excited about my surgery talking with you.  I just turned 45 and I can't wait to start living life to the fullest.  I think about all the years I have sat on the sideline of life because I was too big and I basically didn't feel good about myself.  I'm ready to make the changes.  I'm not saying anything to my family until after the surgery.  I definitely won't be telling them the cost, are you kidding they would have me committed thinking my elevator doesn't go to the top floor.  But that is what happens when people don't understand.  They don't understand the prision I have lived in all these years.  They look at me and see excess weight but they don't understand what I feel.  I'm soooo excited for you!!!!  I told my husband that I want to get a journal and journal my expecience from the time I start the optifast to the last pound.  I want to write the good and the bad, the highs and the lows, but most of all I want to experience the victory.  I'm also going to take pictures on a weekly basis because you can't see the transformation on a weekly basis but I think after when you line them up in a photo album you can see from where you have come.  I don't know if that makes sense because when I get dressed now being big I look at the outfit I don't look at me because that is too painful for me.  I want so much to keep in touch with you and for us to encourage each other.  I  think it is importaqnt to have a buddy system in place, someone who knows what the other person is going through.  Thanks for getting back to me and all your wonderful wonderful tips I will sure be using them.
June
Hi Mocha... I think you might have a hard time finding someone to do the surgery for you, because you don't seem to fit the profile.  I only had 80 pounds to lose, too, but I've gained and lost it many time over the past 25 years, and my top weight was a full 100 pounds over my ideal weight.  That was the only reason they agreed to do it.  They took a detailed account of every weight loss clinic I had ever attended, how much I lost over how much time, etc.  As it was, I was the thinnest person ever banded in the clinic.  The anesthetist had serious misgivings, as did my GP.  But I was afraid of diabetes, heart attack, stroke, and my knees.  The surgeon agreed with me that if I let my guard down, I would be back to 100 pounds overweight in no time, so he banded me.  For me, it wasn't an easy operation.  Apparently I started "thrashing" around just at the end of the surgery, and they had to give me a good deal more sauce to keep me under.  As a result, they couldn't wake me up after, which scared DH to death.  I stayed semi-catatonic until midnight of the day of surgery, and he was on the phone with them all day getting reasurrance.

What no one ever told me about was the CO2 that they pump into you so they can see with the little camera during surgery.  I had asked them to put the "port" below my belly button, which meant an extra incision and that much more CO2.  Because the CO2 isn't in your organs, it can't escape through usual channels, and you have to wait for it to be absorbed by the bloodstream.  So it just rolls around in there, trying to move forever upwards, pressing on everything, making every blink a razor blade from hell.  I couldn't breath, because expanding my lungs gave me torso-wide agony, so I was taking these little bird-breaths that left me light headed and unable to move around on my own.  DH had to carry me to the bathroom and get me up every half hour to drag me around while every footstep made me want to pass out. Eventually, the gas wants to break both collar bones at once, then both jaw bones, then finishes you off
with a colossal global headache on it's way out.  This lasted 10 days.  

I have really high hopes for the future with this lapband, but I'm really glad the surgery is behind me.  I am still unable to swallow applesauce because of painful pressure in my lower chest, and I should have started pureed foods yesterday.  I would never tell anyone that it's a quick fix.
Mocha, I kind of hate what I just wrote, even though it was all true, so I also want to point out that one woman from the same clinic told me she'd rather have lapband surgery than go to the dentist!  And the lady who went in after me was walking out on her own several hours before me.  The removal rate at my clinic is 1/4%, or 2 in the last 800 implants.  I know I am the utter exception to the rule, but before the surgery I relied very heavily on all the good stories of other's experiences that I got in several chat rooms, clinic sites, and YouTube.  It was my own rosy optimism that prevented me from asking enough questions, or the right questions, of my surgeon to help this go smoother for me.
Hey Lawbing3 I don't know if you will see this before tomorrow (sept 24/07) but I believe that is your surgery date.  Hey listen all the best to you, I will be thinking of you.  Just think your dream of being 50 and fab is coming true....I'm happy for you!!!!  I'm not far behind you.
June Cleaver
Yes, I'm glad to get your not of luck & esp since tom. is the BIG day & it will be over!! The nurse who called me today asked me if I had any questions & I said yes~ how soon can I eat clear broth after the surgery!! She said (and she also has had the surgery) that I could even bring a thermos & have it there because you have to drink some clear liquids before you leave ~so that's what I'm planning to do. I'm hungry & am glad my Slim Fast is over!! I've been having clear soda water and warm water mixed with apple cider vinegar to settle my stomach now because I am so hungry as well as my stomach got upset due to the excessive practice I keep having with the team AND the heat!! Anyhow, I read what was written above by Big Bertha & since I have had TWO other laparoscopic  procedures on my stomach~ heed my advice before about laying flat on that heating blanket & pad as soon as you get home from the surgery. That really helps dispel the gas. No one told me after my 1st laparoscopy BUT it made a HUGE difference when I did it after the second one. Also, I estimate Big B’s shortness of breath could have been brought on from the tube they may have put down her throat during surgery & sucking on a cough drop can help a lot with that afterward. I should know I've had plenty of surgeries in my time esp. since besides 2 laperosocipies, 1 Cescearean, a hysterectomy and two major shoulder operations ~ due to all my play with the Olympic Team so that cough drop tip mades a HUGE difference. I just wish I could give you more tips on getting through the Slim Fast & not being hungry but for me warm water & apple cider vinegar made my stomach stop having hunger pangs. It sounds awful, but years ago my grandma told me about that so I'm used to it. You might try it because while on that Slim Fast everything odd starts looking great & probably tasting good too!!! I caqn’t wait until I can write you again & give you my progress & I will check 1 more time before I leave tomorrow to see if you have any comments! Best wishes always~ Steph!!!
You see what I mean?  If only I had you to talk to before I did this!!!  I've had 3 cesarians myself, but none of this trouble before.  It's all in talking to the right people and asking the right questions.  I came close to passing out in a mall today, and so I got myself back talking to the clinic right away.  They told me that my severe anemia is the culprit - like trying to clean up a big mess with a bad sponge - my blood just isn't cleaning up the internal bruising, swelling and gas reabsorption like it should be, and that I can expect it to take much longer than other people to feel better.  
Big Bertha1848  I have a tip for you~ I failed to mention that I've also had Breast reduction surgery & BEFORE that surgery & since my plastic surgeon told me to take the ESTER C Vitamin (for bruising & faster skin healing) as well as a good multivitamin. I thought what good will that do -but I fainted after my breast surgery mostly because of the shock & the skin scarring being  so horrendous & pot black bruising all over my torso (I was really regreting the surgery at that point)~~BUT I have to say that the Ester C cleared up the bruising much faster than when I didn’t take it before any of my previous surgeries & breast reduction surgery changed my life for the better tremendously!!! Were you anemic before the lap-band surgery is what I'm wondering. Certain pure vitamins will make a difference-but of course not instantly. How are your potassium levels as well ~since those being low can also make you pass out too. (Sometimes this doesn’t always register with doctors right away because a blood test isn’t always accurate) Try eating a  banana a day -this will keep your potassium up, but be careful because bananas can be constipating  plus cause headaches too. A pharmacist can tell you which potassium vitamins absorb best if you don't want to eat a banana a day. Although I’ve only met you on paper, I feel for your situation because no one should have to suffer & esp. as much as you have been reporting. I pray you get some relief soon & get to the point where the surgery  starts yielding the great results everyone else keeps telling me about. I will keep you posted on my progress as well “as in his service”. I weighed myself this morning & have lost the required amount for the surgery & feel pretty confident so I just hope mine goes well. Will post as soon as I can this weekend with the result. Best wishes all!! Steph!
Welcome home!!!!!!!  By the time you are reading this your surgery will have been over and you are at home with the road to thinness just ahead of you.  I was so thinking  of you and wondering how you felt this morning when you knew that today was the big day.  I get butterflies just thinking about my big day. Even though I have never met you I'm so happy and excited for you because we share so many of the same feelings about our weight issues.  I have been meaning to ask you what Olympic Team are you on, for what sport?  Just wait a couple of months when they see you and the pounds are coming off......write when you can I will be waiting to hear how you are doing?  If it's really bad don't tell me though ok.  I don't want to get scared.....thanks
June
Hi BigBertha1848, I'm sorry that you have had so many problems.  I'm nervous reading what you have written because I have yet to have my surgery in September.  I am definitely going to be following Lawbing3 advise as she had so many helpful ideas. But it is informative to know that sometimes people do run into trouble and things to be on the lookout for.  I hope things start to improve for you soon.  
Well, good news now.  I had a feeling the applesauce thing was never going to work for me, so I decided to forge ahead.  It turns out that Strained Chicken, Strained Peas, Strained Blueberries and Mixed Cereal all go down like a dream.  Picture this: take a funnel, pour applesauce into the funnel, and notice that it doesn't go down right away, right? It takes a few seconds for a bubble to form over the spout, then the bubble pops and the applesauce can go down the drain. That's what happens inside me, I'm sure. The pressure is a little uncomfortable, and I can feel the bubble pop very clearly. It must be the globby nature of the applesauce, because it doesn't happen with anything else I've tried yet. Just the simple act of chewing something after 5 weeks of liquids makes me feel stronger and more hopeful.  Today is going to be a very good day.  Oh, and I'm planning on being the first person in the history of this surgery to never throw up!  How's that for a goal?

Lawbing - my thoughts are with you - I know how glad you must be to finally have the surgery finished.  Best of luck for a speedy recovery!
Glad to hear that you have found something that you can eat and it sounds like you are on the right path now.  Glad to hear that things are looking brighter.  Three weeks  this Wednesday and it is my turn.  My optifast was just delievered today.  Please keep in touch and let us know how are things are going ok.
Hello ~ my surgery was yest. & now it’s over & feel pretty good so I though you'd both like an update. The only bad part about the actual surgery yest. Was when they told me they were doing an IV in my hand & on the 1st try-it wouldn’t go in & IVs in the and foot are painful. When she did my other hand –she used some novicane & numbed it which made that go fine so if they say IV goes in the hand, In his service then ask for novicane there first!. After that, being a bit groggy when I woke bothered me some although  as soon as they helped me to the rest room & I got up the grogginess went away instantly. I did have a BAD stomache ache & couldn’t wait to get  home SO as soon as we got home I took the maximum amt. Of the main medicine (it’s liquid Vicoden or Pecocet) & also a Fennigrin (tiny round pill which I crushed before taking ) which they prescribed for nausea. They also put a patch behind my ear while at the surgi center for nausea that will stay there for the next 3-4 days. I then laid down on my fired up lap heating blanket and put my regular heating pad on the front side of myself alternating shoulders. I took clear chicken broth with me to the sergi center & also had sips of that with ice chips, water & apple juice provided by them. My stomach felt like I had a really bad belly ache (prob. From the swelling)- but the pain meds at max cut that out right away & also when I laid on my heating blanket I had a searing pain from one of my incisions so I put a bag of crushed ice on my stomach aiming basically for that spot. In your service ~don’t make the ice bag too full though or the pressure will make it hurt more. Within 15 minutes the meds & ice made everything fine & I actually felt as good a normal. Thanks Big B. for giving me the info. regarding your experience because when the antesioligist asked me if I had any questions I gave her your situation & she explained to me that there would be no way for me to thrash around because they give everyone a muscle relaxer in the IV while on the table so you can’t move at all. Plus, she went on to explain that she only does anesthesia for lap-band surgeries  & monitors things toy keep the anesthesia on the certain levels and so far thrashing has never happened in her operating room. She then asked me if your surgery was done in the US & I had to say I didn’t know the answer to that. Anyhow, I have been sipping broth & feel like laying down now. The CO2 gas has pretty much dispelled itself since I was religious in laying on that hot blanket on my back & alternating my heating pad on  the front of me. Anyhow, I will keep you posted on any other developments, but so far have to say that the surgery wasn’t bad & I’m so glad I did it! Steph!!
Hey Steph I'm glad to hear things went well.  I'm a little nervous because of the amount of pain I might experience but I will be purchasing a heating blanket that is for sure and I already have the heating pad.  I'm excited.  I want to ask you if you have any regrets so far but I guess I really in a way don't want to know because I don't want to chicken out which at this point I don't think I will.  It does sound that things went really well considering that this is NOT cosmestic surgery which people seem to think it is.  Steph are you in Canada by any chance.  If so (don't feel obligated to answer this) but is it in the surrounding areas of Toronto?  Please keep me posted on your progress.  I'm rooting for you girl!!!!!!!  No one knows what a heavy person goes through except for another heavy person.  Hope you are feeling like you normal self in a couple of days.  
Hi again in his Service! I live in northern Ohio & had my surgery with Cincinnati Weight Loss Center, which began their practice out of Seattle, WA. I'm thrilled so far with everything & can't believe I'm now 2 days past the surgery & will be forever grateful that I had it done. This was the same as I felt after the Breast reduction too! The pain has been minimal due to the heating blanket & pad, but I will also add anther tip- be sure that the underneath heated blanket is pulled up to halfway on your pillow so you can feel heat on your neck too. This helps so the gas doesn't settle there & give you a stiff neck which I had slightly yesterday-but put my hotter heating pad directly under my neck & that pain is now gone.  Also, I sent my husband out to get me liquid Advil, which helps tremendously. Today, I may ease up on the high-powered pain meds even although the Fennegrin for nausea I will keep taking. Not that I've felt nauseous any but just in case! The nurse from the sergi center called me yesterday & asked how I was & I told her fine except I was worried about running out of the high powered pain medicine & she said if I needed it -then I could get more although she had to remind me that I could also take Advil & sp I sent my husband out for the liquid/kids Advil which works wonders & I'm feeling that I can ease off the Percocet/Vicoden liquid now except to maybe use at night. My throat has been a bit dry so I suck a cough drop for that. I've been alternating between clear chicken & beef broth  & even had about 3 spoons of vanilla pudding yesterday. I drink mostly little sips of water between sips of broth slowly, and & I also had some watered down apple juice yesterday in 1/2 cup intervals. I sent my husband out to get me some baby food jars with pureed vegetables so as not to get constipated - & I like the squash the best. I only eat about 6 teaspoons of that & am still taking the sugar free Fiber Choice tablets only I chew them completely before swallowing. Today, I may even try some Milk of Magnesia or MiraLAX since so far I haven 't had a bowel movement- but just having liquids might mean there is nothing there to pass. I absolutely have no regrets  & don't chicken out because the pain is minimal & can be managed & it isn't that much-mostly some soreness & like I said the Advil & pain meds work great!!! I feel like I'm defiantly on my way to breaking out of the fat mold that I've been trapped in since I was a kid & grateful for the surgery already!!!  Tomorrow, my husband & I are even joining people at a reunion dinner where I will just be ordering soup & eating only the broth out of it & any soft veggies they have such as green beans or a bite of baked potato & if anyone asks why so light a meal I’m saying I had 4 root canals this past weekend. I will write more & you do the same. I’m here for you! Best wishes always ~Steph!
HeySteph thanks so much for the vote of confidence.  Really you truly are an inspiration to me.  I know I can do this.  The pain of being stuck in a fat body is far worse that a few days of physical pain.  Besides that they give you drugs for that pain.  There is nothing that I can take (except food...hahaha) for the pain of be overweight.  You have provided me with such great info and I can't thank you enough.  I was reading all the helpful hits to my husband and he's like well lets go buy you an electric blanket.  He is so on board with me about this and I know him enough to know he is not doing it because there is a motive behind it on his part that he wants a skinny wife because like I have told you  he married me when I was overweight.  He is so on board because he hears me lement about me wight all the time.  I have got a lot of the stuff in liquid form the only thing that I am having trouble finding still is liquid tylenol, multi-vitamins and gravol.  I found the liquid gravol however it was for infants and the pharmacist (sp) and I didn't think that would work on me.  But I will continue to check.  I will check back with you later Steph.  I have to get running my husband is telling me that we will be late for church if I do not start to get ready now....hahaha.  But I just had to come to the computer first thing this morning to see if you wrote because I wanted to know how you were doing.  Talk to you soon.
Laurie
Hi in his service! I just knew that I'd hear from you today & am very glad to be able to provide tips for you. About that Tylenol~ I'm using a capsule called quick release Tylenol & in the Advil you can get the pill  & just  mash it. I'm just extra dosing with the Kiddie liquid Advil which seems to work. Let me know if you can't get the quick release Tylenol & I'll go to the pharmacy here & send you a bottle -same as with the kiddie Advil. I'm having some chicken broth as I write &  feel pretty much the same as before the surgery except a little sore.~ not at all bad & I haven't taken any of the high powered stuff since about 3 am and it: 10:45 am now so it's been almost 10 hours. I've been very happy though thinking about how I'm so glad I can now not worry about eating tremendous portions as well as can't wait to see how much weight I will start losing weekly!!! I just wish I would have had the surgery sooner  esp, with the reunion I'm going to toad BUT there will be events coming up where I can't wait to get compliments plus by X-mas I can't imagine being able to ask for some clothes in regular sizes. My size now is a 24 & that number looks even uglier in print. I also keep getting Layne Bryant Catalogues, Coupons & emails- & I'm promply hittign teh garbage can with each!
Hey Lawbing3 that is so very kind of you to offer to do that for me.  I will surely take you up on that for sure if I can't find it here, as I don't like pain.....hahahaha.  I'm with you I have been window shopping at all the nice thin clothes and can't wait until I'm in the store buying them.  I keep telling my husband that the operation was just the beginning, that afterwards it's really going to cost him....hahahaha.  I tell you he is absolutely the love of my life, he tells me not a problem as he looks forward to going into the store and being able to say to the sales clerk my wife is a size 12 and I would like to buy this outfit. As it is now he would never venture into buying me an outfit because I have such a tough time buying clothes.  I'm about 5'3" and a size 18.  I carry a lot of my weight around my butt and thighs and have a real bad time with pants.  I can go into the change room (which I have done) with 21 pairs of pants and come out of there with not 1 of them fitting me, as he waits patiently in the chair....God love him.  I'm average on the top but am fairly big busted but don't have a big problem buying tops.  I long for the day to just be "normal".  Steph I so understand everything you say about being overweight, and I know you understand what I'm going through.  It's funny my step-daughter is my height and weighs all of  95lbs.  She takes a 0 to a double 0 in clothes (or the same as an extra-small), anyways if we have pizza she will stop at 2 slices and I sit there and go, I'm only going to have 2 slices, but after I'm finished I think to myself (that's it) I'm starving.  2 slices for me is like a snack and I hate myslef because I'm still hungry and I think what is wrong with me.  Why can't I eat 2 slices and be full or at least satisfied!!!!!!  No I'm sure if no one was looking I'd eat the cardboard box as well.  And then we move onto desserts, don't you just hate it when you go to dinner and the people you are dinning with the other woman want's jello for dessert, what's up with that,  no I want the chocolate explosion brownie with extra chocolate sauce and lots of nuts, thank you.  So then you try to comprimise in your mind and you order apple crumble because there is at least something healthy in it.  What is funny is that I do eat really healthy no joking I mean that except for when I do go out for dinner because it is such a treat for me and we never have dessert at home so I like to do it when we go out.  It's not that we can't afford to go out for dinner it's just that we like cooking in our household so we enjoy buying stuff and cooking at home because we know what is going into it.  My husband is an awesome cook.  Actually in the 9 1/2 months we have been married he has put about 10lbs.  That is about a pound a month....hahaha.  But once I have the operation, he says he will cut back because he doesn't want to let himself go.  I keep telling him he has a washboard stomach..........only right now there is laundry in there.....   Let me know how you made out at the reunion.  Talk to you soon.
Laurie
Hi again~ great to get your response as usual! The reunion went very well& we had a nice time talking, but I was done in after it & when I got home I took some pain meds.  and Advil and had a good nap. It was a reunion of the people I worked with over 20 years ago for Whirlpool. The company shut our office down here in 1989 & we would talk occasionally on the phone or meet in passing, but never formally so we just set up the outing & everyone was glad to have a proper visit to catch up. They really are a lovely bunch of people, but I only revealed to my close girl friend about having the lap-band surgery this past Friday. The rest I told I had just had 2 root canals & was eating lite because of that. I wasn’t that they wouldn’t have supported me, but I didn’t want the reunion to center around me. I was delighted to get a call from my sister Saturday & she was very supportive on the phone as compared to when I first told  her about my lap—band plans in June at my nephew’s (her son’s) graduation.. My sister has always been thin whereas I’ve always been fat… She takes after my mom’s side of the family who were tall & lean & I got my dad’s genes who are short & round. It never was fair watching her eat me under the table & then always slip into a size 10  -which she still wears to this day and she has had two children even!! I’m just so glad now that I have such a great tool to finally look the way I should & it will be so fun to eventually go shopping. My sister loves to shop esp. for clothes & me buying clothes in the past few years has been miserable…I seldom bought myself anything clothes wise & if I did it had to be deeply on sale or I wouldn’t spend the money … Mostly when I’m with my sister, I find myself buying perfume or jewelry. She lives in Pittsburgh, PA & we won’t see each other again until Christmas when they come her for their Christmas &  I hope to have shed some major weight by then. My sister may be jealous, but I hope not because she knows firsthand how I’ve been a prisoner. I can’t even watch shows like Celebrity Fit Club or The Biggest Loser because I think that they are cruel. Being obese is definitely a disease, which you hear people say but no one actually believes that. Thank goodness fro great husbands like yours and mine who understand that it isn’t as easy as just stepping back from the table….I plan to go back to work in the morning so I’m going to close for now. Best wishes to you Laurie & our meetup
Hey Steph, I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time.  As for your sister I think once she sees you loosing the weight and see the transformation in you and your spirit that she will see and maybe even understand the prision that you have lived in.  It's true what you say that people don't understand that obesity is a disease and it is not just a matter of not eating.  I always say that it is the same as alcoholism it's not just a matter of stop drinking.  I went to the doctors today and got my physical done for the surgery,  my doctor was totally on board with me having the operation which made me feel more comfortable.  Everything just keeps falling into line which is such an indication to me that this is what I'm suppose to do.  Oh before I forget, thank you again for the offer of liquid Advil but I found some at a corner Pharmacy about 4 blocks away.  And am I understanding you correctly you are going back to work!!!!!!  Honey you really need to let your body heal.  You just had surgery!!!!!  My surgeon told me I would be off for a week to 10 days.  Don't overdue it on yourself, think of your health first, that is the most important thing.  Wow you are going to make me look like a whimp, because I plan to take the week off for sure....hahahaha.  Write when you get a chance and keep me posted on how things are going ok.  
Just reading your post about not being able to find liquid Tylenol - I contacted Johnson & Johnson about it, and they told me to take 6 teaspoons of the liquid for children (since they don't make it for adults, and it's recommended not to take liquid Advil until 2 weeks AFTER surgery for fear of bleeding).  It's pricey - I went through about 4 bottles in only a few days because I was trying not to take the liquid codeine anymore (constipation and nausea), but it works fine.  Also, the liquid gravol for children also works fine, but again you have to take a lot of it.  The sea sickness patch sounds like a great alternative - I wish I had thought of that, and I even had some on hand!  Anyway, I have the bandages all off now, and the itsby-bitsy little scars are incredible!  No one will ever notice them - not even DH.  The big one, where they put the port, is about 2 inches long, and it hurt a little longer than the others, but once the end-stitch was cut, the area is virtually pain free now, and I'm ready to start walking my massive dog again today.  I must admit that I've been eating everything in site, trying this, trying that, but only such small quantities that I've continued my weight loss without even trying.  4 pounds this week, and my head's constantly in the fridge.
Hey BigBertha1848, thanks so much for that info.  I will use the infant stuff then.  It's nice to get all these helpful hints from others that have gone before me.  I will be sure to pass all this info on to others that I come across to help them out.  So it sounds like this is working fine for you.....that is wonderful.  4 pounds this week alone.....that is great, good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I so can't wait now to be on the path of weight loss.  As much as I am nervous I'm also excited.  How long was it then before you felt better and were able to exercise?  One week tomorrow I start my Optifast.....yum yum....hahahaha.  Thanks for the info.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  It's always great to hear the progess everyone is making.  Even the weeks that aren't so good, because then we can encourage one another.
June
Well, today was Day One for me to exercise, and that means 2 weeks since surgery.  That annoying end stitch was the only thing holding me back, and now that it's gone, I'm ready to go.  I had another unfortunate PB experience this afternoon that really caught me by surprise - I was eating very soft canned salmon for lunch, and the fourth or fifth bite was too fast or too big or too hard, I don't know which.  Anyway, it got stuck, and I was in trouble for over an hour.  Really painful, made me throw up several times.  An excellent reminder that you can't take your mind off your eating for even a second.  A couple of hours later, I had the perfect meal:  I took my adult children out to a Greek restaurant, and we ordered 6 appetizers for the 3 of us.  Spanikopita, Feta Fournou, Saginaki, Calamari, Grilled Scallops, Bruschetta.  I had a couple bites of each one as it arrived, and when I had tasted them all (VERY SLOWLY!), I was full.  Incredibly satisfying, and when I think back to what I used to eat at Greek restaurants!!!!!!! OMG, what a pig I was!  And everybody knew it, too.  I remember always hearing things like, "oh, there's one left? That's okay, Bertie will eat it."
That is  what I'm afraid of the throwing up, YUK!!!!!!!!  Isn't it nice to feel in control, something prehaps you haven't felt in a long time.  Isn't if funny how everyone looks at the one overweight and expects them to finish everything on the plate and we as the overweight person seldom disappoint anyone and do exactly that.  I'm so looking forward to the day I can go out to dinner and push the plate away when I have had enough and have people look at me and think "is that all she is going to eat".
I'm so happy for  you because I understand exactly what you are saying.  You go girl and don't let anyone stand it your way, it's all about you, your dream, vision and goals.  
Laurie
Hello all! I'm doing well and back to work for the second day. I skipped this past Monday just because I was afraid my stomach would be too sore from sitting upright at my computer all day. I only take Advil now & know that I have the pain meds in case I may need them at night. I was a bit sore after my 1st day back yesterday. I'm still eating liquid foods  although yesterday I tried some soft cod which was very good & melted in my mouth~ only a few bites though! I'm amazed & how controlled I am with this band!! It's a definate leash on my hunger & it seems everything has some much more flavor in small completely chewed bites!!! I still need to have my first band adjustment in about 2 weeks plus then I can start exercise. Right now I just walk my dog short distances. I'm so glad that you are doing better BigBertha esp. since you had such a rough start!!! And Hang tough in his service "Laurie"  with the Optifast because it is so worth it esp. looking past the surgery date!!! Lawbing3 ~ Steph!!!
I just came back from my first post-op inspection at the clinic.  Nurse Tammy wanted to know if I was on track with the eating plan, whether or not I had any questions, and what my weight was.  She didn't even ask to see me incisions until I pointed one out to her.  5 minutes Easy-peasey.
Hi Ladies I hope that you are both doing well.  It sure sounds like it.  I'm counting down the days 5 days of eating left and then I start Optifast.  I'm getting pumped now!!!!!  BigBertha if you don't mind me asking where you had your surgery done?  The Only reason I ask is because I have a nurse name Tammy at my clinic here (just outside of Toronto).  You both have been such a big help to me and I want to hear about the pounds that  you are both loosing, more over I want to hear about how you are feeling about yourselves.  Thinking of you both and thankful that you both have crossed my path you have both been so encouraging and helpful.
Laurie
I am so happy to read all the comments/responses. I, too, am having the procedure done on Friday, September 7. 3 days down 4 to go on my liquid diet - wow. I am 43, 80 pounds overweight, and it's been up-and-down the scale since I was 18, and since my hysterectomy 2 years ago I CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT. I feel so good about what I am doing for myself - but of course I start to think "what if it doesn't work for me" and then I have some family members that are saying "I wouldn't do that". After reading everything here I KNOW I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING, even though I'm a little scared.
Thanks for all the good words and everyone KEEP BEING BIG LOSERS!!
Hey welcome to fhe forum.  You can't listen to what other people say, honestly if you have found peace inside yourself about the decision that you have made then it does not matter what anyone else has to say.  They have not lived in your body or felt your pain so it is always easy for someone to comment on those things that they do not know of.  All the best to you and please check back in for support and most of all tell us how you are doing.

June
Thanks for the words of encouragment. And you're right. I'm sure we've all been at the being overweight stage that is "the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think of being I go to bed" stage - I'm way over that. I am mentally ready for this change, which feels fantastic! I had my pre-op tests done today, and two more day of liquids. WOOHOO. I'm getting more anxious by the day. I'll give updates as soon as I can.
Thanks again!
June, when are you scheduled for surgery?
Sorry I haven't been around for a while - the Labour Day weekend is HUGE in my family, pretty much an annual family reunion, which took me away for days.  To answer your question, yes, we are involved with the same clinic.  Is that one set of hunky doctors, or is that one set of hunky doctors??  Dr. C. did my surgery, Dr. M. did my follow-up.  My weight loss has stopped.  The paperwork says to "resist the urge to diet", so I have been.  I've been experimenting with foods I haven't allowed myself in years, like toast, beef, and potato.  I've been taking in about a thousand times more sodium than I've have in a long time, probably resulting in water retention.  Not upset, though.  My first fill is around the corner, and you aren't supposed to worry about weight loss until then.  Right now, it's getting used to the new style of eating.  I tried practising before the surgery, but I didn't start learning anything until after.  I've had a few PB episodes, highly unpleasant, but each one is a learning opportunity. The dietician called today and said to book my fill as soon as I thought I had the PBs under control.  I told her that I thought I was there already, but when I hung up the phone I had lunch and Wham-O! Another one.  Nevertheless, people have been commenting on my new cheekbones, DH stares at me alot, trying to figure out the difference... it's all good.  We're in this for the long haul - forever, actually - so what's the rush?  I'm looking at having some spider-vein treatments on my calves soon, just in case I get into a pair of shorts or (merciful heavens!) a bathing suit next summer.
Hey glad to hear from you. Hey Dr. C is doing my surgery on the 19th of September.  I started my Optifast today.  So far so  good, I guess.  It's 4:00pm and I'm hungry.  My husband took our youngest out shopping but really I think they are also going to eat out because they don't want to cook in front of me and tempt me, yet I feel so left out because they are eating out...hahahaha.  Ok I have to ask you a couple of more questions because I don't know all these short forms, ok what is PB and who is DH....hahahaha sorry, but I have seen the PB a lot and I thought the P stood for projectile, however didn't know what I could use the B for.  I don't want to have them even though I don't know what they are....heehee.  Don't worry about the weightloss to much as that  will come soon enough, yet I really understand that you end up forcused on it because hey after all isn't that why you had the operation in the 1st place??hahaha.  I would love to loose 20lbs while on the optifast but then I don't want to have such a high goal because then I will get really disappointed if I don't reach it.  How did you manage while you were away for the Labour Day weekend?  Does your family know?  If so what did they say when the found out?  If they don't know do you plan on eventually telling them?  Sorry for all the questions.  I'm getting nervous thinking that two weeks today is my band date.  Talk to you soon
June
Hi June.  You'll stop being hungry in 3 days.  I've done Optifast several times, so trust me.  Make sure you drink an additional 2 litres of water on top of the Optifast - that is the secret to the rapid weight loss.  PB stands for "productive burping", which is what happens when you eat something too large, too fast, or too much.  It means that after intense discomfort, whatever is bothering you comes back up.  However, it's not really like vomiting - no deep down clenching of your lower guts or heaving - it just comes up, rather easily actually and without the burning stomach acids of vomit.  DH is "dear husband" - more threadspeak.  DD is "dear daughter", OD is "oldest daughter", OS/DS is "oldest/dearest son" etc...
Labour Day weekend was great - I was extremely careful and suffered no PB episodes, but realized that I should have taken my own food to make sure my needs were met a little more easily.  I found it particularly difficult to make sure that protein went down first when lots of pre-meal hors doeurves were being served.  I took the opportunity of everyone being there to announce my surgery, and everyone was incredibly supportive - even fascinated.  Lots of questions and lots of congratulations.  They know what it's been like for me.  I chose not to tell them before the fact, because that would give them the opportunity to poo-poo the idea, and I wasn't open to those suggestions.  This way was better, because they could see already that I looked thinner and that my scars are itsy-bitsy, which seemed to be the first thing they were worried about.  As I get more and more comfortable with what I've done, I get more and more comfortable with telling people.  To be honest, I was ashamed at the beginning - ashamed that I had let my weight problem get so out of hand, ashamed that I needed something so drastic.  I also have always prided myself on not being vain about my looks (even when I used to have something to be vain about!), and I swore I would never have any cosmetic surgery.  While I realize that a LapBand is not cosmetic, it was still pushing my boundaries, and I shed a lot of tears over it, both before and after the surgery.  Now that it's in and I'm not in pain and the future looks rosy, I'm at peace with what I've done.  It helps to have people know and support me in it - and it's good water cooler talk.  I love to talk about it.  Can you tell?  Anyway, I know you're nervous, and I won't say "don't be", because that would just be dumb, but try to enjoy the Optifast stage - it's an experience all it's own.  And if you do it right, you'll lose between 3 and 6 pounds each week, and perhaps up to 8 pounds the first week.  So if you are on it for what, 2 weeks?  then you should expect a reasonable loss of 10 -15 pounds.  Did I answer everything?
Bertie
Hey Bertie, you sure did, thank you for all of that.  I didn't want to seem  dumb not  knowing all the short forms but I tried hard to figure it out and just couldn't.  I guess I should spend more time on the internet....hahahaha.  Oh one question with the "PB", does it happen all of the sudden and leave you short if you know what I mean.  Like could you be say at the supper table and then all of the sudden PB and gross everyone out or do you have a least time to get to the washroom.  I think once this is over with I too might share it with people but as it stands now, no way.  I don't want to be open to people's opinions on what they think of it or me for doing it.  As well I don't want to hear that I'm doing this because I'm vain either because that is  soooo far from the truth.  Thanks I'm no so nervous about the surgery as I am the pain afterwards, I think that is what I'm most concerned about or ya and the fact that I might PB (love it now I know what it is....hahahaha).  Today is day 3 of the optifast and I can tell you it is the worst today, today I could eat wood I'm so hungry and I am trying to do everything to divert my attention away from my hunger but nothing seems to help.  I have been drinking a lot of water but just doesn't seem to be working.  I'm praying that tomorrow will be better.  I can hear my stomach grumble and it is loud and when I hear it it just reminds me of how hungry I am......hahaha.  I pray tomorrow is better.  Thanks for  everything Bertie :) I looked for you on the forum but I haven't been able to find you.  I of course am June Cleaver on there.  Talk to you soon and thanks for filling me in on all of this.
Hi June, hang in there - you're almost over the hump.  If the water isn't working, you can also drink gallons of herbal tea.  There are some Celestial Seasonings that are almost like hot apple cider if you let them sit long enough.  Apples and Cinnamon is like that (you can get it at Longos sometimes and the Bulk Barn always), and Bengal Spice is strongly sweet cinnamon (just the Bulk Barn).  I put 6-8 bags in a coffee pot, set it to brew a full pot and then turn it off.  It gets stronger and stronger throughout the day, and it really feels like you've had something more substantial.  Also, Lipton Chai Tea (Loblaws) packs a lot of flavour, but different from the first two, and it does have caffeine, so you can't drink as much.  Even if you hate tea, try the 2 Celestial Seasonings.  And yes, you have time to excuse yourself from the table for a PB.  It actually takes a couple of minutes to realize what you've done, and a couple more to realize that it isn't going to sort itself out.  Then you have to suffer through several minutes before it comes up.  You know it's going to happen because your mouth fills with saliva - I don't know why, but it happens to everybody, and you don't want to swallow it, because it won't go down.  My second one lasted 75 minutes. I'm at the stage now where I don't suffer through it at all - as soon as I have self diagnosed the problem, I'll make myself gag and speed up the PB - it's the only way to get relief.  But the main thing is to avoid them, and the only way to do that is to take small bites and chew the tar out of them.  Where I get caught is during lively dinner table conversation, and I've taken my mind off my chewing for a second, or another time when the phone rang and I just automatically swallowed to answer it.  I've done it 5 times in a month, which I'm told is pretty good.  As for the pain - I think the best way to gauge your response is how you've done with other surgeries.  For me, all surgeries (4 dental and 3 cesareans) are a nightmare.  That's because I don't heal well.  I think I can't even discuss how low my threshold for pain is - it's non-existant - no threshold - threshold free zone.  Everything hurts.  But MOST people seem to think its a breeze.  Have you had surgery before?  Finally, you won't find me on any other forums - the one from our clinic is closely monitored and actually edited by the nurses.  I don't feel free to speak there.  One lady had a trauma shortly after surgery and I read everything she had to say.  The next day the title and the comments had changed.  She PMd (personal-messaged) me to tell me that someone else had done that.
Bertie
The past 2 weeks since the surgey have been nuts~ First teh time was passign too slow & now it's flying BY!!! I turned 50 last Sunday & although I'm not FAB yet I feel so great that I have taken such a positive step!!! Now that I'm up to eating pretty regular foods I was worried about loosing~ but I went for my post-op yesterday & the doctor was so reassuraing & said I'm right on track!!! My first fill is scheduled fro Oct. 4 & although I still have soreness esp. at the end of the day with my incisions~ I swear the people who know I've had the surgery swear that they see a difference for the better!!! I have also had some PB as Big B describes above -but it manifests when I don't chew things to the max & was much worse right after the surgery. Now as my stomach heals- I can eat pretty much normally & that scares me because I'm increasing amts. - but the Doctor says that is normal until my fill. My sister surprised me by saying over the phone (she won't see me until X-mas)  "so  have you lost 100 lbs yet" ~ like she expected the surgery to remove all my fat... That saddened me esp. since  in my heart of hearts -I wanted 100 lbs to be gone as soon as I looked into the mirror too- but that's not how it works.....Kind of like my head knew that wasn't so, but my heart sure didn't & that remark hurt... BUT I know that I've made such a  positive step to the future & with my fill right around the corner~~ I'm so glad I made my decision to have the lap-band. Today, while I was getting a manicure- a women was saying that her friend lost more weight by having the gastric bypass as compared to the lap-band & I was thinking- how can you compare it when  when you only have had the bypass~ which to me seems awful if you have to worry about messing yourself at any given time... I can't run out of a presentation meeting in front of my boss & a number of executives  to change my suit & I refuse to wear Depends at 50!!! It's degrading....Anyhow, I have several friends who have had the bypass and they have incorporated their situation into their lifestyles, but when they made their bypass decision --the lap-band wasn't avail. in the US yet. Anyhow, I certainly understand trying anything to be thin so I really don't want to badmouth anyone on their decision. Keep in touch ladies & I'll do the same. We leave tom. for vacation in Washington DC so I'll be away from the Internet until next Sunday, 9/16. Stay well & positive!!! Hang in there on that Liquid Diet in his service- June because it really is worth it!!! And good luck today i'm teet with surgery- just don't be afraid to take the pain meds -they definately help & so does that heating pad underneath!!! Steph!!!
Hey Lawbing3, happy belated birthday, yes you are 50 and yes you are fab.  You are on the right track and please don't be disheartened by your sisters comment I think she thinks its like getting a boob job or something that it happens right away which we know that it doesn't.  This is definitely a long term "tool" that will work with you for the rest of your life.  Just think where you will be a year from now and then let's hear what she has to say.  As well as the fact that as you get older you  will be able to maintain your weight.  As for the gastic bypass surgery I'm in the same position as you I  would never want that done as it is not reversable, once its done its done.  At least with this if something should happen where you need to have it removed for some other medical reason it can be done.  I liked that, that made me feel real comfortable.  I would have told that lady straight out that weightloss surgery is a very personal choice and what one might feel comfortable with another personn might not.  And your right lap band has not been around as long as gastic bypass.  Further I think once more people know about it, it will soon rise to the top for weight loss surgeries.  Then fortunately (unfortuately for us that are the somewhat pioneers) it will be covered by insurance companies and the government like gastic bypass is now.  Listen Steph you  have a wonderful vacation and even treat yourself a bit!!!  I hear from everyone that once you start to have your fills the old days of eating a lot are gone.  As well they say that until your 1st fill it really is about just healing, like I said though this is stuff I have read on my other forum and do not speak on a 1st hand basis.  I'm down 6lbs already just doing this liquid optifast, wow just another 102lbs to go.....hahahaha  Again enjoy your holdiay and connect with us when you are back and let us know how your holiday was and how the eating portion of it goes (good and bad) because you know that you are free to vent here and share the emotional ups and downs.
June-Laurie
Hey Bertie thanks for all the helpful advise to get over the hunger.  I still like my coffee but I am drinking it of course without the milk.  I will definitely try the tea as I do like the tea and I love cinnamon.  Actually I have been putting that in the vanilla optifast with about 4 strawberries.  You said that you have done the optifast several times now, so can you keep on ordering it from that company where we originally got it?  I'm sorry to hear about the web site, that does not sound good.  I throught Tracey monitored the "members only" portion of the web site and  that the clinic was not privied to what was there?  I do remember seeing something in that section which was negative towards one of the nurses and the others were saying to be forthcoming with the clinic because she had paid a lot of money to have the surgery and didn't deserve to be made to feel bad because she had actually gained some weight and not lost.  I even think it was the same person who found out later that it was her port that was broken so it wasn't really her fault.  Well at least we have this forum to say things, good bad or indifferent.  I think it is very important for people to say it how it is.  We need to be able to go through the ups and  downs/lows and highs of weightloss together.  That is were people learn as well as get incouraged to continue the fight and to move forward.  As for healing  after surgeries I have had a couple on my head/neck (cysts) removed and I was up the same day cooking dinner.  I think I fair pretty good.  I have a fairly high pain tolerance so I think I will be ok.  I get so nervous and yet when I read the forum even people that have had a couple of problems or set backs said they would do it all over again.  I just going to believe that God will watch over me and protect me.  I just want to be able  to loose the weight and KEEP IT OFF!!!  Well I'm going to run now and make my morning coffee.  Today seems a little better, I try to occupy myself to keep my mind off the fact that I am hungry.  Talk to you soon Bertie
Hi Laurie,  I was enrolled in the Optifast program through King's Health in Toronto a long time ago.  I lost a hideous amount of weight - ALL of it, in fact.  When it came back, I tried it again, and again, and again.  You have to be under a physician's care to get Optifast.  Our clinic won't approve more purchases through them.  Jerry Goldfarb in Etobicoke is an Optifast doctor.  King's has gone under, and I don't know any other sources.  But you can post on the other site for anyone who wants to sell theirs to you (usually at a discount!), because most people detest the stuff.  I picked up several more cases of Chocolate so that I could start earlier than prescribed.  But really, after you are banded, you are defeating the purpose of the surgery by staying on liquids.  Also, I firmly believe that fat lost this way is temporary at best.  I think because it drops your metabolism so low that the minute you start to eat again you regain - and fast!  I lost 81 pounds in five months, and regained the first half back in 2 months, the second half over the next 8 months, another 20 pounds just for good measure after that.  My doctor put me on Xenical and Meridia trying to slow down the regain, but it was all for naught.  The only long term success comes from maintaining your muscular and cardio-vascular strength throughout the weight loss.   Even without exercise, eating balanced meals with plenty of protein will do that for you.  Hey, I just noticed this morning that "MeLady" got thrown off the surgical site because she was banded in Montreal instead of Mississauga.  I'm telling you, Big Brother is watching!  Glad you're feeling better today.  Bertie
Oh I wondered how you were able to continue to get it.  I was also wondering if we could order more optifast if we wanted more of it even after we have the surgery, I will have to check into that.  Wow that is a lot of weight to have lost in 5 months, it's a wonder you didn't have to have gullbladder surgery because of loosing the weight so fast!!!!!  I  have also done the Xenical and Meridia pills too!!!  What we won't try in order to loose weight.  I wonder how much I have spent on all these weightloss programs over the years, as I have been dieting since I was 17 years old, so I have been doing this a long time.  Just like Dr. C said that I have dieted myself into obesity, isn't that crazy?????  I wish I could help other young people to help them see the light and put them on the road to healthy eating and enjoying a treat now and  then.  I get so upset now when I see obese teenagers and my heart goes out to them as this world is not compassionate and the fact that they will be held back by some employers because of their weight or worse yet not even be considered for a job.  I was on holidays back in August and we went into this restaurant and I saw this young pretty girl  who was maybe at the most 14-15 and she was pushing the 300lbs mark, my heart broke.  I thought can't her parents see that they are contributing to killing her by her weight?  Anyways enough of that, sorry, see my passion???  I feel sad about that girl and the website they should have another forum open for people  from all over who have had the surgery, but I guess they are trying to promote their clinic.  Thanks Bertie, gotta run.  Write when you get the chance, no pressure though if you are busy I fully understand.
June  
Hi Laurie,  I know a couple of people have been turned down when they requested more Optifast.  They say they are not a diet clinic.  I think that's fair.  The Optifast program is quite involved.  Once a week we checked into the clinic for 3 hours.  The first hour was health monitoring, and the second two were education.  The education would either be Food & Nutrition, Behaviour Modification, or Biomechanics, which revolved every week and were all taught by specialists.  The fourth week was reserved for a complete battery of physical tests including ECGs and bloodwork.  We used to call it Vampire Night.  I don't think super low calorie liquid dieting is something to be taken lightly, and the risk increases if you are over 45 and have weight related complications.  I guess I'm asking you to be very careful, and to stay in touch with your doctor.  And remember that it is a very demanding, very difficult program whose results are fleeting at best.  Bertie
And while we're on the topic, have you ever noticed that some young girls seem to like their higher weights these days?  I mean, so many of them are all bulging bellies and massive backsides, packed into way-too-tight jeans and skinny tops that show their midriffs.  I can't help but wonder if the tables have turned a little and there is more acceptance of overweight.  Which would be good if they were 40, I suppose, but at 15-16 it's hard not to think about diabetes and stroke down the road.  I just think back to when my friends and I were in high schoo - 105 pounds and crying that we were so FAT!  Who's wrong?  Us or them?
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a website call www.lapbandtalk.com.  It has wonderful information all about lapbanding.  You get to talk with others that going down the same road as we are.  They share all kinds of recipes and tips that are great.  Hope this helps.
What are the long term effects of the lap banding?
My banding was 3 days ago. Since my "skinny life" started on 9.1.07, I have dropped 10 pounds. Too bad you can't do liquid for the rest of your life - but I could never because I LOVE food and how boring.
The surgery went well, the surgeon found a hernia and repaired that for me while he was in there. I'm swollen (like you can tell right) and my abdomen is sore, which is normal. Saturday (1 day after surgery), I didn't need any pain medication. But as it went into Saturday evening, I was feeling bloated, ach-y, so I did use the gas-x liquid for kids and the nasal spray for a pain killer - which put me in la la land 20 minutes later. Laying down for a long time can be uncomfortable, so I have found myself wandering to the recliner to finish off my nights sleep. I told DH don't fret I'm not mad, just not comfortable.
I have a couple of fears, what if I never get the desire to eat again or what if I'M the one that it won't work. I'm not comfortable telling people yet, my immediate family and a few close friends, some were poo pooing the whole thing, but the ones that really matter totally support me. I can't wait to really get the ball rolling. February 26 is our 25th anniversary and we're going on a cruise and I refuse to go and not have fun - which I would do - if I'm fat. In fact I would rather not even go. I know that sounds terrible, but that's how I am. I can't wait to pick up a size 8 and they fit.
This morning I feel pretty good, I probably could of gone to work, but I chose to stay home and take it easy. My fullness feels a little better too. I AM SO HAPPY I DID THIS. Everyone keep up the good work.
Hi!  Your fears are the same ones we all have.  Especially when you find out that eating isn't all that difficult and it feels like you're pigging out again.  But no, somehow it works, a steady couple of pounds every week, even when you are sure you don't deserve it.  Some people do claim that they've lost interest in food, that it's just fuel and that they have to remind themselves to fill up when the tank is empty.  Is that such a bad thing?  I don't think so, and I hope that will be my situation, but like you, I still love to eat - actually I love to taste!  It's all a flavour thing with me. But I like losing those couple of pounds every week more.  Good to hear your surgery went well.  Hope we hear more from you in the future.  Bertie
Hello all, I figure I will address everyones e-mails in one go (well I will try to, hope I don't miss anything),   BigBertha I would never for a moment think about going liquid diet after having banding done, I just wondered if you could maybe order an extra week worth of the stuff just in case you were having a hard time.  I too love the "taste" of food to much to go liquid.  Mind you the idea of not
being interested in food does peak my interest somewhat.  I hope I too could just look at it as just fuel for the body.  loukyangel, thank you for that info about the website, I will definitely be checking that out.  i'm teet, thank  you for sharing that info about your operation as I go for mine soon.  It's nice to know that that pain isn't going to last for days and days.  I'm having a hard time getting my head around what I am going to look like when I loose the weight.  I too wonder if this is going to work for me, but I know that everyone feels that way.  I have  heard so many people say (even when they have had set backs) that they would  do it all over again in a heartbeat, so I guess that says alot.  I'm glad  we  have this forum where we are free to speak our minds good and bad.  Wish you all the very best and please keep this forum going I really do enjoy hearing from everyone.
June
Hi Laurie,  well, that's good news.  I would recommend appealing to the other thread for anyone who wants to dump their Optifast.  Just say "Who wants to unload their Optifast?" in the title line then sit back and watch the responses flow in!    I had 4 or 5 responses right away when I did it, and I just chose the person selling chocolate who lived closest to me to cut a deal.  How are you doing on it now?  What is your date and time for surgery?  I'm thinking I should try to book my fill and come to see you that day. Bertie.
Hey Bertie, thanks so much for that.  My surgery is September 19th at 9:20am.  They said I had to be there an hour before.  Well the day is getting closer,  a week today.  I'm looking forward to it.  Actually the optifast portion is going really well now.  I'm down 14lbs, yahoo!!!!  I'm going for another 5 before surgery.....  Its funny I the hungry feeling and then I will drink water and  it goes away and I feel fool.  Actually I going now so I can do my last optifast shake for the day, I'm so excited this one gets 4 strawberries added to it...hahahaha  Its like drinking a strawberry milkshake because I add lots of ice and some vanilla.  Talk to you all soon.
Laurie
Hi Laurie,  I'm afraid I can't get there by then.  That's a shame.  Once I get my kids in school and get myself out the door, you'll already be sleeping like a baby!!  So glad you're doing well on the Optifast - and what progress!  14 pounds is nothing short of marvellous!  Bertie
Thanks Bertie, that's ok, the offer was very nice of you  though.  Yes now I'm counting down the days now.  I thought I would have lost more on optifast.  I have read some people are 20 and 25lbs and guess I thought I would be one of them.  Oh well I have time to loose it.  How are you doing?  How long has been now since you were banded and how many pounds are you down?  Talk to you soon.
Laurie
Hi~ in his service~~ Laurie! This is the beginning of your final week & I'm so excited for you!!!! The Optifast will soon be a thing of the past & don't forget your thermos of chicken broth for when you get into the recovery room~ even a few sips will make you feel GREAT & I swear you will smell that stuff from wherever it is while you are on the way to the opertating room!!! I'm now about 4 weeks past my surgery date & my stomach is not swollen anymore on the inside so I'm eating my regular amt. BUT maintaining my 10 lb B/4 surgery loss although my fill is sched. for Oct. 4 and after that I know 4 ounces is all I will be able to eat. But, I simply can't wait to loose more weight !!!! My large incision -near my belly button & where my port is located is still healing though & can still be a bit sore as well as can bleed a little too so I found that bandages for burns available at drug stores over the counter feel really comfy plus keep my undies & pant/shorts waist from rubbing that spot. Anyhow- let me know how you are this week & I'll write back!!  I know you will be as thrilled as me  going forward!!!Steph!!!
Hi Laurie,  It's been a little over a month for me.  I've lost 16 pounds, but most of it was pre-op.  I'm looking forward to my first fill, because that's when the serious weight loss starts - everything up until that is pretty much just practice - Choosing, chewing and swallowing select foods.  I've emailed the nurses for a fill date, but I've yet to hear a response.  Oh, by the way, I don't think our clinic will let you have the chicken broth on surgery day.  Only water, not even ice chips.  I had a couple of popsicles much later in the day, and that was great.  Bertie.
Well yes as I sit and write this I have two days of optifast left.  I'm just looking forward now to getting this over and  done  with and on the road to recovery.  I have a few days off after the surgery so I plan just to let my body direct  me on how I'm feeling.  I realize that there is no heavy lifting, and no s*x for a couple of weeks, my poor D/H.  I told him it was doctors orders...hahahaha.  At first they told me it would be about a month and then said probably after two weeks. I am as ready as I will ever be.  My goal is  to be down 40lbs by Christmas and I don't know if I'm fooling myself.  I'm done 15-16lbs with optifast (it goes between the two).  But I figure it will be probably the end of October before I get my 1st fill.  Our 1st wedding anniversary is coming up in Novermber and I wonder what it will be like eating.  We have saved the 1st layer of our wedding cake (carrot with nuts) and I don't know if I will even  be able to have some, oh well I will cross that bridge when I come to it.  So I will log on Tuesday night before I go for surgery to say hi to everyone.  Take care and again  thank you everyone for  all your great suggestions, and all your support it means the world to me.
June-Laurie
Glad to hear from you & glad only 2 days left before you join the rest of us post op. & on your way to the 1st fill like me & Big B "Bertie" above! After about 6 months Bertie- you will have to change your name to Little B~ !!! I hope to be down at least 40-50 lbs by X-mas too~ June-Laurie ~~~I also plan to be as good about my exercise as I was the liquid diet!!! Before surgery I was playing & practicing with my team for 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week - but now I'm going to walk or work out the other days as well just so I keep losing & also to help my skin shrink back!!! We were discussing my situation with our friends last night & am glad to say that they have adjusted so well to my lap-band news that the women has even offered to share her size 16 & 14 suits with me as I loose weight!!! That is certainly a breakthrough with them accepting my decision  I'm thrilled with their support!! Plus, I'm so excited to think that I may be able to wear a size 16 or 14 sometime in the near future!!! Being fat ~ as we all know means that you just want to cut the sizes out of all your clothes!! I'm also down to rags with my undies since I refuse to buy them huge anymore so I can't wait to buy some small cute things!!! Hope you will be surprising your hubby by your anniversary time June-Laurie with some hot/sweet new  teddys and baby doll nighties along with cute thongs to match!!! I can't wait to buy such things again & hope to shop in regular sizes ~ or as Orah calls it teh I've got a Dream section of teh store where style abounds!!!! My support is here for you esp. this week when you need me most! Steph!!!
Thank you so much Steph.  Yes well tomorrow is my last day.  I'm a little upset because I got news today that they might have to change my surgery time.  Not the date (thank goodness) but the time.  I might not have it until  noon on Wednesday.  Yuk!!!!!!  I wanted to just be able to get up, get showered and dressed and  go for the operation, I don't want the waiting around.  I'm not a good waiter.  Yes I'm praying that by my first anniversary my stomach has settled down and that  I can eat again (not the same) but at least be able to have things like chicken and vegetables etc.  We already have the hotel booked for the weekend and I'm really looking forward to being able to model a couple of new outfits for him.....hahahaha.  I love lingerie and I too can't wait to buy a somewhat normal bra with the matching panties...hahahaha  Ever notice that bigger bras and panties don't look like the smaller sized stuff, no matter how hard they try, it just doesn't  cut it.  Oh well I can't wait to buy some new suits.  I laughed  when you said that you have cut the tags out of your big clothes...I use to do the same thing that way people would only see that it was big and  not know how big it really was.  The games we bigger  people play with ourselves.  If we don't see it then it must not be real.  I just  want to get this over with now.  I will check back tomorrow to say one last goodbye to you and Bertie before I go for my surgery.  Talk to you  all soon.
Laurie
Hi Laurie,  time to get your chakras lined up, baby!  Get yourself a good book or magazine for tomorrow morning and try to lose yourself in it. Or nap!  If you're like me, you won't sleep much tonight, so you'll be sleepy in the morning.  DH tried talking to me until mine was done, but I couldn't concentrate on anything he was saying - and the other bandits in the waiting room telling me what a breeze it all was were just kind of annoying after a while (I hate being made to feel like a baby-anything!).  Besides, napping lets you forget that you haven't eaten in a while.  ... "all through the morning Laurie dozed in her bed, while visions of lacie bras danced in her head"...  I'm thinking about you!  Bertie. : )
Well, Laurie, I tried... I just got off the phone with Tammy, and she booked me in for my first fill on Thursday at 10 am.  They weren't available tomorrow morning - probably because of whatever has bumped your surgery time, I guess.  Anyway, you're likely a little nuts right now, but I hope to hear from you once more before tomorrow.  If not,  I wish you the very best of experiences both before and after the procedure, and I look forward to reading all about it when you come back to the thread. Sleep well!!  Bertie. : )
Hello Laurie- just cking to see how you are & to wish you the very BEST!! Don't sweat tomorrow- it will be over soon & it's really not bad at all. The IV was my worse part & after that I hopped up on the operating table & next thing I know I was waking up & it was all over!! My ride home was worrisome because I started to hurt some-but after a BIG (3 lg. tablespoons) dose of my liquid Vicoden- I was  fine~ actually better than fine!!! Then I laid on that heated throw the rest of the day with the heating pad alternating on the front of each shoulder  & sipped on chicken broth & water.  The next day I was fine, but kept taking the pain medicine for the next few days. I don't regreat teh lap-band surgery for a minute & was just thinking today that I'm as thrilled with it as I was when I had my breast reduction surgery!!! Can't wait to have my first fill now like Big B tom. & then you will be joining us in about 6 weeks!!! Just think how much skinnier we will all be by the holidays!!!! I absolutely can't wait!!! BYE BYE fat clothes in every size from 18 through 24!!! I'm thinking about you  LAurie & know you will be thrilled with the surgery!!!! Steph!!!
Hi Bertie and Steph, thank you so much for your well wishes.  I believe my surgery is back on for 9:20am, which I'm so relieved of.  I'm not really thinking that much about it right now.  I'm just going through the pre-op stuff, ie laying out the liquid medicines so my D/H won't be saying "I can't find them"  "where are they".  As well as shaving my pits/legs, washing all my clothes that I'm going to wear tomorrow.  I just have to shower with that soap tonight and tomorrow and well I think everything is in order.  I have a dry throat right now and I'm thinking that is nerves and not like a cold or something coming on.  Thank you so much to both of you your support of me/for me brings me to tears, really.  I can't belileve I have this much support from people I have never met face to face.  You two are the best.  I'm very fortunate that I only live about 20 minutes away from the clinic so I hoping the ride home won't be too bad.  Thanks again ladies and I will be in touch as soon as I'm up to checking the site again.  See you in lap-band land...hahahaha
Laurie
Hey Bertie, one more thing, thanks so much for trying to get your 1st fill tomorrow.  That was so sweet of you to at least have tried.  Talk to you soon
Laurie
Hi everyone  this will be short because I'm still very tired.  Everything went well yesterday and I'm now in band land...yahoo.  When I had my surgery yesterday they found a hernia so that also had to be repaired.  I'm on codiene (sp) for the  pain which makes me sleep.  I have to sleep upright, but I'm sure you both did as well.  But all in all I'm doing ok.  Will check  back probably tomorrow or even maybe later on today depending how I'm feeling.  Talk to you soon.
Laurie
P.S I'm doing the heating pad and that has helped except that we are having unusally high tempatures here and  it makes me too hot...hahahaha
Hi~ Thanks for emailing & welcome to the world of lap-banding~ you are now one of us with a positive step toward a thinner life!!! So glad it's over for you & also glad to hear you came through it great even with an extra hernia surgery! That liquid vicoden works GREAT & I wonder if I may need some more of it when I have my fill so maybe Big ~soon to be Little B will read this & let me know if after the fill you need pain meds? My large incision is a bit sore still at times but healing nicely otherwise & my fill isn't for 2 more weeks so hopefully the soreness will be gone then. It's mostly at night that I notice soreness as well as sometimes it feels like I need to scratch it which probaly is the healing & I put a lot of Benedryl cream on it as well. Funny thatit's hot inc Canda when we are having mild temps here in Ohio although we can't buy any rain & all the grass looks like straw  as well as crunches under your feet!! It's been dry for so long that small brush fires are starting & the trees are instantly dropping their leaves because they have turned brown. I have been looking at regular size clothes cataloges that come in the mail in hopes of requesting some new SMALLER sizes for X-mass gifts. Laurie- I know that you are on liquid food now so just sip & work your way up to soft foods the same way- with sips. Your stomach is now swelled so if you eat to quickly or don't chew things throuraly (after you get to soft stuff) you will have the burpiong back like was mentioned in someone' s blog before. It feels like you tried to swallow something way too big & you know right away after that happens. Just stop and wait a few minutes and it will pass. It's a reminder that you will recognize the 1st time it happens. Rest now & paper yourself. I'm still  hanging in that uphoria of thinking about how that surgery will be chaning my life for the better. Love & write as soon as you are feeling better! Steph!!!
Hey Laurie!  I can hear the sleepiness in your typing!!  Unless you've got a laptop in bed with you, I hope we don't hear from you again today - just rest and let the rest of the world take care of itself!  But come back and tell us war stories when you're good and ready - I'm really ready to hear them!

Steph, I just had my first fill this morning, and I could barely feel it.  The needle was less that a pinch, and it was over in under a minute.  I'm a little needle-phobic, so I was a little sweaty, but now I have no fears about needing as many fills or defills as it takes to get this right.  She made me drink a glass of water right away, quite quickly, to make sure everything went down okay, which it did.  I came home, pleased to see that it was noon, and had 1/2 cup of pureed roast chicken breast (she said to stay on mushies today) and a banana.  I counted to 30 between bites, and had no trouble at all.  Now it'll be interesting to see how long the fullness lasts.  The biggest thing for me is not drinking with my meals.  The diet I was on for the last 2 1/2 years called for 100oz of water a day, which meant I was constantly drinking.  It's hard to isolate it to only between meals now.

Oh, and another hot tip I picked up yesterday: Papaya enzyme.  Remember this one.  It's sold in chewable tablets that taste like fruit candy in the nutrition stores (GNC here in Canada).  When you know you've got something stuck, especially protein, you chew up and swallow 6 of these and it works like sweet Drano - your blockage is melted away and you're saved from a PB.  I have trouble during TOM, which is right now, and over the past 2 days I've PB'd or slimed at least 6 times, so it was a dream come true to find out about Papaya enzyme.  Not only was I sick and tired of throwing up (like, in the grocery store, in the car and in my yard) but man, I was HUNGRY!  I've got 600 tablets, they cost me $3.99, and I've divided them up between my kitchen and my purse so I'll never be without.

It's time for a coffee.  Talk to you soon!  Bertie.
Laurie,  I forgot to tell you - I went back to the Surgical Site thread a little while ago.  I found I just couldn't shut up when reading some of the comments.  So you will find me there again - under Chinkodemyo.
Hi Big soon to be Little B~ thanks for telling me about you fill sicne I was worried I'd need pain meds if it made me sore again.  And I'll get some of those papaya enzyme tablets since there is a GNC right by my house. Anyhow now the key is how long you stay full & I too will have troubles with the drinking since I love iced tea with a meal- BUT I think I'll get it carry out & reward myself with it an hour after I eat esp. while at work. I saw that the girls at my doctors' office having iced coffees to sip in the afternoons which looked good too & everyone at my doctors' office has had the lap-band surgery & have amazing weight loss stories. Anyhow, thanks again B as well as take her advice Laurie & rest up  & take care while visions of  being skinny dance in you head! Steph!!!
Ok it's me and I just have one question, am I being a wimp but it's one day after surgery is it ok to  still use the codiene.  I have tried to go without but I have still a lot of pain from gas that is trapped and I have pain in my stomach.  I don't want to seem like a whimp but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the gas to move.  Of course then there is the problem of not being able to go potty.  I don't want to be a whimp I have tried the tylenol but because they are children's chewable they just don't seem to be working that great for me.  So how many days did you two use your pain killers for?
Otherwise I chicken broth and it tasted like heaven.  Tomorrow I get to have Tim Horton's coffee with milk in it YAHOO.  Steph I don't know if you know about Tim's but it is a crazy busy coffee house here in Canada, I know they have them in Buffalo but don't know about further than that.  It would be like maybe a Starbucks only not a strong of coffee.  Anyways that is my big excitement for tomorrow.  Love to all, goodnite.
Laurie
Hi Laurie- I must be on your wavelength because I was looking for a post from you & wondering how you were. Don't worry about taking the codene- it's fine.I took it for the next full week esp. at night plus had the perscription renewed -just in case & I'm glad I did because sometimes after a long day my stomach is sore where my incision rubs the front of my pants. I was also able to take the Advil for swelling but that pill may be too big for you right away & I think you siad that you couldn't get the liquid/childrens' Advil. If you can it works wonders-but be sure your Doc. oks it. My doctor put it in my post-op. instructions which I didn't see but my hubby sure did & it was a great help!!!  That chicken broth is heaven esp. after a liquid diet & the beef broth is also great too!!! Take it slow & easy though & pamper yourself. I've been a bit down after reading the other website for  banders because I haven't been loosing any weight & I'm so anxious for my 1st fill to start things rolling BIGTIME!! Its' great to hear from you & take those pain meds. girl- you just had surgery!!! Love Steph!!!
Hey Steph, guess every clinic is different because they do not want us taking advil.  I have been taking  chewable children's tylenol because that is allowed.  I try to take those during the day and leave the codiene for the night before  I go to bed.  Today is a better day.  I can't get rid of the pain in  my left  shoulder though no matter what  I do, today believe it or not is the worse day.  I have done everything possible and it just doesn't seem to want  to move.  I just think that tomorrow will be a better day.  My Tim's coffee this morning was absolutely wonderful!!!!  I was able to get down a yop yougurt as well so I think I"m doing ok.  I think I should be doing more, but then I have to remind myself that   it hasn't even been 48 hours since I had the surgery.  My husband thinks I'm doing good.  I was only up once in the night last night compared to 3 or 4 times the night before.  Hey Steph if  you can't get those Papaya enzymes let me know and I will find them here and send them to you if you want me too.  Thanks for that wonderful info Big-little B.  I will definitely be buying those alright.  Otherwise everything seems to be coming back to normal  slowly.  I can't imagine what the next week and  half is going to be like if I'm already like this.  They told me no driving for a week for sure, guess that was because of the hernia.  As well I will be telling my family that I had this done in the next week  so I don't know how that is going to go over, but guess it doens't really matter because it is done now.  Steph please don't be hard on yourself because it will come, the weight will start to fall off, I think sometimes we get caught up in the numbers  instead of letting our body heal and then letting the band take over.  I haven't gotten  on the scale because they told  me at the clinic not to look for weight loss in the next 3-4 weeks and at first I thought the same thing and then I thought well we can try to push it but end up going backwards instead of forwards and these people are the experts so they know what they are talking about.  You 1st fill is  just around the corner and then you will be well on your way.  Hang in there girl it's not long, remember this is a marathon not a spint and I need to keep that in my head as well, because like I always say to my husband, "I want what I want when I want it" but that is not always the case.  Actually it's quite funny now because as I sit in this chair and look down at my stomach I look about 5 months pregnant!!!!  But I know that that is from the gas that they pump in you so I look forward to that going down in the next week or so.  Anyways write when you can and again Steph let me know if you need me to get those pills for you.  As well Big-little B, keep those helpful hints coming and I will look for you on the other website.
bye for now.
Love Laurie