Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin and Hair Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Metformin and Hair Loss

My Doctor put me on Metformin for "borderline Type 2 Diabetes" (my blood sugar count is 6.5).  About 3 months ago, he started me on one 500MG at bedtime.  My blood sugar count remained the same, so a month ago he doubled the dosage to 1000MG (once during the day and at bedtime).

However, I am not experiencing any weight loss, but I am experiencing hair loss.  Every morning I brush out lots of hair and the texture of my hair has changed.  I have stopped shampooing every day and just water rinse my hair every other day, but the hair loss continues.

Has anyone had hair loss while on Metformin?  Is there a connection between Metformin and hair loss?  If it isn't lowering my blood sugar and is causing me to lose my hair--then I am considering discontinuing the Metformin.  Help--I need all the information that I can get.
Hi there,
Do you have any other symptoms besides the diabetes. I know many of us are on Metformin including myself because we have pcos which causes diabetes and insulin resistance so we take the Met to control the insulin resistance even without diabetes.
Reason I am stating this is because pcos causes extreme hair loss.
I have been on 1000 mg of metformin for about 1 year. Are you taking any other meds? I started taking Topamax 6 months ago and started noticing hair loss the past couple of months.I looked up side effects for all my meds and found Topamax lists hair loss as a side effect so I have stopped taking it. Hair loss can also be due to stress, I didn't notice any hair loss until I had been on the Topamax for a while so I'm almost certain it was the Topamax. Good luck to you.
Just saw my dr.  I have been on Metformin for two years for metabolic syndrome.  My hair is nearly gone.  Before I saw a hair transplant specialist, I went back to my doctor.  He took me off of Metformin.  YES!  It definitely can cause hair loss.  He says there are other drugs to consider.  Don't give up!  I am on minoxidil twice daily and prenatal vitamins.  No drugs for blood sugar now.