Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 601-631 comments:
Hi Audrey,
I take 4 tabs of metformin per day at 500 mg each and i have found that eating more protein is better for me.  The first week or two I lost 3 pounds and didn't have much of an appetite but now I am starting to go back to my past habits.  You have to give yourself time to let your body adjust to the change.  Also ask your doctor about a prescription for you to talk to a nutritionist who can advise you on balanced meals and snacks.  Good luck.
Hi Carol...I just wanted to put your mind at ease.  Your story sounds just like mine.  My mother died a slow death (at 58) from diabetes- almost completely blind (saw shadows only), a damaged heart and on dialysis (for less than a year).  Her father died at 59 with an leg amputation.  Needless to say, the genetic component is so powerful and too hard to ignore...SO, when I was told that I was insulin resistant, after slowly gaining about 55 lbs. in a span of four years, I told myself I was NOT going down the same road as my mother if I could help it.  I continually begged my doctors for help and wouldn't let up.  It took several years and two endocrinologists before the 2nd one would let me try Metformin.  This was January 2007. You see, I have kidney damage and we don't know why )prior to starting this medicine...kidney infections, pain relievers, high blood pressure, etc.--no add'tl. damage since taking this medicine so don't worry).  Since the medicine has to be flushed from your system via the kidneys, any impairment could be very dangerous.  Therefore, my advice to you would be to ask your doctor about your kidney function (creatinine, albumin, bun, protein, etc.) before you ever start this medicine.  Anyway, I got my doctor to go along with me and, VOILA....success.  Since I was not a bad eater to begin with and already was a walker, my weight immediately started to drop.  In all, I've dropped 40 lbs. and kept it off.  I went off the Metformin for almost a year since I started seeing another endocrinologist closer to home and she did not feel comfortable with my being on Metformin with my kidney bloodwork being what it was.  Well, I went to my nephrologist (kidney specialist) this past summer, did a 24-hr. urine catch and my results for output and quality was great.  He gave me the clearance to go back on the Metformin if I wanted to and would notify my endocrinologist that it was okay to do so.  I am confused, though, since my A1C was 5.1 on my summer bloodwork and all the other numbers were fine yet my endo said I am still insulin resistant.  I don't get that since my A1C was so great (anything under 6 is great).  How she knows that, I don't know but I have another appt. in a few weeks and we shall see what she says then.  Anyway, Metformin gave me my life back since my weight was NEVER like that my entire life, and I felt horrible...no energy, felt like I was drugged, etc  I also have Graves Disease (hypothyroid), turned 50 (the menopause curse is lurking) and am still insulin resistant.  I have been at this current weight since the initial weight came off with the Metformin.  I still have 15 to lose before I am where I want to be but it is a struggle.  It's at least a normal struggle.  Before Metformin, no matter what I did, nothing worked.  It was so frustrating.  Also, I've never really had any difficulty with this drug's side effects, despite what others have said.  I thank God I got the chance to be on it.  Lastly, with it being almost 2012, I am still not a diabetic so, again, I am thankful for this medicine.  My first endocrinologist told me that I wasn't diabetic at the time and he wanted to do all he could to make sure I didn't become one.  Good luck with your journey and hang in there.  Give it a chance, don't be afraid, listen to your doctor, exercise (cardio), watch your diet and portion sizes and do a lot of research on your own about diabetes.  BE PROACTIVE!  Lots of great sites out there (DaVita, dLife, etc). Eat like a diabetic and you'll be fine. God Bless!
Hey y'all. Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. So at about the 6 month mark on met and I'm down 20 lbs and am weraring a size 10/12. Honestly, I could have done better but started slacking off on my workouts. Also, once the side effects started to wear off more I probably at more sweets than I should have. But I'm back committed to my Turbo Fire and Kettlebell workouts and trying to cut more sugar from my diet.
I've gone on Metformin for weight loss and because I am pre-diabetic. Your comment was very encouraging, as I have a friend who is diabetic and see all the complications from this disease. So far I have lost my cravings for sweets and I am not so hungry in the evenings. Wish me luck, I want to live a long life......
I went for my yearly physical on November 7th.  I had gone and done all my blood work the week before so that my doctor would have it when I went in.  My sugar levels were in the diabetic range after fasting so she sent me for the 2 hour glucose tolerance test. I had the test done on November 8th, and spent the next 15 days changing my diet significantly and dusted off my treadmill.  I went back for my results on November 21st and my glucose level was 11.1...which is the highest end of pre-diabetes. If I were to go .1 higher I would be considered a diabetic.  

I am 5'3" and I weighed 247lbs on the 7th.  When I went in for results on the 21st I was down to 240! I lost 7lbs by using only diet and exercise.  My doctor suggested we treat me as if I were diabetic so I have got myself a blood glucose monitor as well as started Metformin.  I am only taking 1 500mg pill at night right now, and I plan on increasing it sometime next week to 2 - 500mg pills a day.  Reading all of these posts is VERY encouraging, especially since I still have at least another 100lbs to lose.  

My next doctors appointment is on December 19th and we will go through my glucose journal and have my weight checked.  I sure hope the Metformin works the same for me as it has for many people who have posted on here!
I'm 21 years old - I was about 180 when I was in 6th grade.  Went down to 140 pounds by the time I entered High School.  Everything was great -of course I still thought I was fat but I'd go back anyday and get to that again.  I'm now 5'6" and 225 pounds.  My doctor put me on Met because of studies helping weight loss.  He said I should be eating 3 small to medium meals and protein snack in between.  I eat like crap..no doubt about that. Any suggestions what I should be eating?
I was diabetic but i had bariatric surgery and about 48 hours later my blood sugar levels went down to a normal range. I still take metformin to help with weight loss. It works! Its been 2 and a half months since the surgery and ive lost 55 pounds. Pretty much a pound a day. I know that surgery and meds are scary. But i believe the most important thing in life is your health. You can stop taking metformin once your blood sugar levels go back to normal. I chose to take it because it really helps with weight lose. And i have not gotten nausia or diarea (diarrhea). I actually stopped taking met for a few days just to see if i was losing weight because of the surgery, and my lifestyle change or the met. The three days i stopped taking it i lost no weight. Once i started taking met again i was losing 1 pound a day its awesome.
I have been weighing 96 KG at a height of  6'10" since almost 20 years.I had TIA stroke in December 2010. My diabetese medicine was changed from Pioglar + Metformin 500 twice a day to Janumet(Januvia+ Metformin) 50+1000 twice a day in around March 2011. I have since lost about 15 KG.I have been facing problems of indigestion and constipation from time to time. Although weight loss is most welcome for me, but I will not like to lose further weight.  Is indigestion and constipation associated with taking of Metformin ?  
Hi everyone,

I really feel for all of you having to resort to all these meds to lose weight and be healthier.  Both my parents are overweight and I have seen my cousins and siblings heading in that direction.  I was "vain enough" to always monitor my weight since high school, but always fluctuated between 140-150 even with all my efforts. (I am 5'4").  I worked out 5 days a week (mostly 1 hour of intense cardio) and kept a detailed daily food journal where I documented every single calorie I consumed and tried not to go over 1200-1400 calories per day.  And still, the best I could do with this strict regimen is go down to 140 pounds!

Then, when I started dating again after a bad breakup I really wanted to look good (i.e get thin), I started eating very little and working out even more and was able to get down to 130 pounds, however, I knew this was not sustainable and after 1 single vacation I almost gained all the weight back.  Since then I read like a million diet books and gave Paleo a try.  I have been on it for a year now and I have been able to easily keep my weight between 117-124 pounds, without calorie counting.  I am very happy I stumbled upon it.  I don't work out very much at the moment because I need to find a new gym, maybe like 1-3 times per week, but I was getting even leaner when I was doing CrossFit and I felt amazing.  I recommend Paleo for everyone!  My mom is on it and lost 20 lbs and my sister 15 pounds.  I do have my cheat days every week, so I don't feel like I'm totally deprived, but I am always on a watch out for the evil carbs and prefer to satisfy my appetite with veggies, high quality animal protein, and some fruit.
Could you tell me what Paleo is
I started metformin about 2 years ago due to PCOS and they told me it was going to be very hard to get pregnant... Well guess what I now have a 10 month old.. At first after having my son my periods and everything was great. Then it was like one day everything changed. My periods stopped I started gaining weight in my mid section, my face broke out horrible and all around felt horrible.  Went back to my gyno  and he said my pcos was back with a vengeance.  So I started metformin again 850mg 3x's a day along with birth control to regulate my periods.. I'm hoping it's going to help with the weight too...  It's just nice to know I'm not the only one with these issues..   :)
Hello everyone thanks so much for yr comments,Oct 2011 i was borderline my Doctor put me on 500 mg metformin, The first week i lost 7 lbs, coming on to the second week, I really don't what went wrong instead of losing the weight i find my eating more than i ever ate before. I have always a healthy lifestyle, i don't use salt or sugar, and have never indulged in junk food, I took some pictures in late November and was astonished how fat my face looked.i have 3 children and maintain my weight even having my kids, after my babies the next week i was in my regular clothes, now i really don't know what is happening to me i am always hungry, and i have to eat or else i feel a big headache is coming on. Does any one ever has his problem instead of losing  weight i am putting it on. I do eat any way different than before, but since i start taking the merformin i am always hungry. HELP HELP HELP.
hi everyone i was reading all the posts and i have to say that im 22 years old and i have thyroid and i also have pcos i have been taking metformin 500mg twice daily for 5 months now and well ive only lost about 9lbs its so stressful knowing that that ive had thyroid for 2 years now and pcos for about 6 months and im taking medication doing all i can and still cant loose weight i used to be 135lbs before thyroid and now i am 185.6lbs :( i dont know how people are doing it but i cant loose weight with met. my specialist doesnt seem like she really wants to give me anything else for me to take so i can loose weight im really just about to give up.
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS & my doc prescribed Met for me today...I was considering bariatric surgery because my weight was so HIGH(414) & I just couldn't stop eating!  I have been exercising and eating well and have lost 31 lbs. In two & half months...it took me forever to get pregnant...finally at 37 had my daughter (Thanking God for this Blessing!) I'm hoping the Met will help with my insatiable appetite!  Lots of great info here!  Thanks!  Will let you know about progress! :-)
I was told I was borderline diabetic and if my Hemoglobin A1C went up two more points i would be considered a full diabetic.  I was significantly over weight and considered doind gastric bypass surgery.  I have been taking 1000mg a day of metformin for about a year now.  I started at 298 pounds and I am down to 247 pounds.  My husband did not want me to do surgery so I opted to lose weight myself.  I honestly feel the Metformin helped me acheive it.  My A1c has lowered by 2 whole points and I am feeling great.  I am still working on losing 50 more pounds.  My fasting levels used to be 124 now down to 94.  I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am hoping that  the metformin will help with that as well because I am 37 and we would like one more child.  Hope this gives hope to anyone starting metformin and concerned about their weight.
Hi there all... I have lost a fair bit of weight since 30/12/09 to present day... In June 2010 I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2... I was put on a drug trial... Byetta 5cgu in the morning and the evening dosage with combination of metaformin xr 500x2 in the evening total 1000mg.. I was weighing around or over 115kg at the time and now today I weigh around 90kg... I feel fantastic and my diabetes is under control... I know there has been great medical trials and new drugs around.. I even experienced a period of time on a drug called janumet which work as well.. But this current treatment is working fabulously
Hi Everyone ,

I was diagonised with PCOS and IR in Dec 2011. My doctor adviced me that I am prediabetic. I have gained 12 kgs of weight in the year 2011. I was very let down and didn't know what to do. Glad that My Doctor has found out what is wrong with me.She has prescribed me Metformin 1x 500mg per day.I started taking the medicine on Jan 1st 2012 and i have lost 2.5kgs in one week. i was 72kgs on Dec 24th 2011 and I was 69.5 kgs on Jan 8th 2011. I hope the medicine helps me lose weight and also will help me with PCOS and IR. I have given up sugar, full cream milk , rice, pasta and desserts. I am having oats , whole meal bread, fruits and steamed vegies these days.

I have also decided to walk for 30 mins a day and slowly add other exercises to my routine.

I wish everyone goodluck on your weightloss journey and hope we can all have our PCOS and IR problems rectified soon.

Never give up hope and always follow a healthy diet and good exercise routine. Stay positive.

We can make it happen!!! GOODLUCK.

Best wishes
+attitude
Metforman works in weightloss by making your body more insulin sensative. In other words it curbs your appatite. Since metformin doesn't lower insulin you can safely take up to 2000 mg per day with your Dr.s concent
My doctor told me i am border line and put me on Met 500 per day the first week i lost 7 lbs then i gain it back, i don't eat sweets, fried foods, drink soda or coffee, I drink lots of water and watch what i eat carefully, I have been like this for years, no junk food, no alcohol nor sweets, now i am hungry every half an hour and i have to eat because i feel very hungry and dizzy, I don;t know what to do i am even afraid to weigh myself because i know that i have gain weight i used to weigh 110-115 all my life and having 3 kids i weigh the same amount i really don't know what is going on in my body, I am getting very depressed and don't want to go out in public. PLEASE GUYS IF YOU know about anything please help me, i am going back to my doctor, in a few weeks and i am scare, i am now take 500 in the morning and 500 at dinner but still hungry. Help please.
Split your first pill of the day in half take the first half after you have eaten and the second half abot an hour later that really helps but you have to start slowly otherwise you wwill alwsays fill sick!
ty I just starteds taking this pill 500mg twice  DAY,Ididnt see any side effects saing you lose weight,I was wondering why?And did you lose any more weight,since then?
Hi, I've been reading comments on this thread until my eyes blurred late last night and was wondering whether you've continued to experience post meno-hell periods -- assuming you're still on met. Also, did anyone reply to your question?  I could easily have missed it.  I'm 56,turning  57 in April, post meno-hell some years ago, and I'm about to begin taking met.  If it helps me lose weight I'll buy more tampons and suffer through some periods for a while.  I, quite unexpectedly, had a one night period a couple years ago, had to "borrow" a tampon from my neighbor, and bought some just in case.  It hasn't happened since.  

Until age 50 I weighed around 110.  (I'm 5'4-- more accurately 5'3 & 3/4")  I wore size zeros, some of which had to be taken in at the side seams.  I went on a cruise with my mom & sister when I was 49 and looked better in my bikinis than the vast majority of much younger women.  Over the next couple of years I began gaining a little weight, not unexpected at my age, but still managed to take it off by cutting back on my already paltry calorie intake.  Then, over the last 5-6 years, I began gaining weight rapidly regardless of how little I eat.  Walking/jogging 2-3 miles/day did NOTHING to help me take any off so I became fed up and stopped.  During the last two years my weight gain has been fast and relentless.  A normal day's food intake for me has petered off to one lean chicken breast or fillet of fish for dinner and my cup of hot chocolate (lowfat milk) at bedtime.  Knowing I need to eat something for breakfast I have a small piece of low fat cheddar cheese when I remember.  I have no appetite and often forget to eat.  When I do I force myself to choke it down.  I've continued to gain 2-5 lbs./month.  I've gone from a 110 lb. size zero to a 150 lb. size ten and counting.  I've been going up one clothing size/year.

Some background.  I have a wonderful psychiatrist through a non-profit mental health clinic who is treating me for depression and PTSD.  I've suffered from both for decades, it's a long, ugly story.  The antidepressant I take NEVER caused weight gain in the past but things change.  I'm positive I'm hypothyroid but since I don't have insurance I'm forced to go to free clinics.  I have every hypothyroidism symptom on the "official" list (except problem periods and inability to become pregnant--DUH!)  Drs at the free clinic are volunteers, mostly residents, patients never see the same one twice.  Some agree I am hypo and prescribe levo--synthroid, others disagree.  They weigh me on each visit and my weight continues to increase.  When I express my concern about how fat I've become they dismiss it.  Obviously, THEY THINK, I'm lying about how little I eat.  One young male POS resident told me to RUN 5-6 miles/day.  When I was his age I DID RUN.  My knees can't handle it anymore.  I know several also OLD people who haven't become FAT because of age and they're less active than me.

Fasting forward.  My psychiatrist recently ran my labs and said my THS--thyroid stimulating hormone-- is slightly high but within range.  I reminded her that less than two weeks earlier the last inept resident I saw took me off levo because my TSH was very low.  She was shocked it has risen so quickly and so much and told me to resume taking the levo.  She is limited in the kind of meds she can prescribe because of clinic rules but can prescribe levo if the stooges at the free clinic refuse.  Aside from the increase in my TSH my labs, BP and EKG are excellent.  My blood sugar tends to be on the high side most of the time.  

Getting to my point and decision.  I REFUSE to continue gaining weight.  At this rate I'll reach 200 lbs. within six months.  I feel like I've been swallowed by a whale.  This weight is EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me and I cannot afford to buy larger sizes every few months.  I refuse.  Just because most women here in OklaRedneckHoma are morbidly obese does NOT mean I will accept that as my lot in life.  So, having done extensive research on various options, I've decided to try metformin.  I ordered some online a few days ago.  I CAN'T WAIT until it arrives!   Granted, I'm not a medical professional; I'm an attorney with top-notch research skills.  I intend to begin slowly, the way other posters have, and increase the amount in increments.  I may or may not be pre-diabetic because of this weight gain but it's only a matter of time if it continues at this rate.  Fortunately, I have experience with diabetes, my dog is diabetic; I give her insulin injections twice/day and know the signs to watch for if she begins to exhibit signs of low blood sugar.  Thankfully, after four years of injections she's never experienced a low.  I do not intend to tell my psych or the free clinic I'm self-medicating but I'll be able to monitor myself using the labwork they run.  Time will tell if met is the answer.  I think being prescribed the PROPER med for hypothyroid would help immensely, and I also ordered some of it online, but first I'm giving met a chance.  

I will let you know if it causes me to resume having periods; please let me know how you're doing also.  It disgusts me that the majority of physicians adopt a blame the patient mindset when we've been struggling to lose weight.  NO, we are NOT over-eating, nor are we sedentary couch potato gluttons lying about how little we eat; this IS a medical problem.  I've lost respect for medical professionals as a whole because they refuse to treat the patient's symptoms they only treat lab results and blame us for the rest.  
I am in my 30's and have been dealing with symptoms from excessive hair growth, hyperpigmentation, and debilitating periods since my teens. In my 20's, I started to experience severe joint pain, lethargy, and now in my 30's, edema and severe weight gain (almost 10 pounds since November). When I say that I eat well and exercise, it is at the point of ridiculuous. I never eat white sugar, white flour, or hydrogenated fats. I can count on one hand the amount of fried anything that I have eaten in the past year. I have pretty much stopped eating bread and cereal and eat rice only occassionally. I have been exercising non-stop since November and have been steadily gaining weight, it has gotten so much worse and is SO frustrating.
I have had a battery of tests on my thyroid, ANA, testosterone, glucose, insulin, cholesterol etc...I always have strange TSH levels and very elevated testosterone, but my cholesterol and gluose/insulin are great. I also have tons of autoimmune related problems in my family. One doctor will tell me "you're tests are strange, let's do that again," and when the next lab is normal, they dismiss me. I was even put on an anti-depressant for awhile which made all of this WORSE! I was like a ghost in my own body and felt terrible.
Finally, today on the recommendation of a dear friend, I went to a doctor who actually listened. He did a battery of blood tests but said he would put me on Glucophage regardless and then we could discuss the labs when they returned and what to do from there. Talk about relief! I am looking forward to not only losing weight, but feeling better and actually getting a handle on these problems that have now plagued me for over 1/2 my life....I know my body and I am glad that some else realized that too.
I have Fybro, and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Am on a diabetic diet and just started Metforman 500mg. I am loosing weight now as before it was difficult. I have not had trouble with tummy trouble but do my diarrhea. Cutting back to 1x after dinner. I take nothing for my Fybro because nothing works. 12 pounds down now and am taking baby steps on exercising. I am going to start back on water therapy at the local YMCA. Tree times a week, low impact for Arthritis. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info and congrats on getting some relief from your fibromyalgia. I know there is a stigma with that condition from working in the medical field, but I also know first hand the hell people go through trying to understand it and feel better. I hope that in the near future the medical community can get a handle on that illness so many don't have to suffer uneccesarily from a poorly treated and understood condition.

I started the Metformin Rx on Monday and have had little side effects so far, other than some back aches and fatigue.I have an appt. with my physician next Thursday to discuss my labs and futher treatment. I am excited to move forward. Hopefully, since I am newly married, this will also save me some of the frustration and agony of conception and/or miscarriage as we plan to start trying in the next year.
Hi!
I am on metformin ER(extended release) 500mg 1x daily ( after supper). I have been taking it since December 2011, I have lost 30+ pounds, I was put on it for pre-diabetes.  I had a rough time with the diahrea and stomach pain. I can not tolerate pasta of any kind, anymore, I no longer eat alot of breads and have minimal potatoe type items.  It is even coming to the point that pizza is becoming hard to handle.  I used to snack all the time at night but no longer do so.  I have yet to start excersing but do find myself with much more energy. Exercising will be the next step.

When i started on metformin i weighed 250 lbs, cholestrol was 190, and my A1C was 7.0 with an average blood sugar of 151,  As of today my weight is 216, cholestrol is 175, A1C is 6.1 and average blood sugar is 112.

i have to be very careful about what I eat wether at home or eating out, very minimal carbs or else the diarhea (diarrhea) sets in

Hope this helps!
I read through your post and I am fascinated by your story.  I am 49 and last February I was diagnosed hypothyroid then in April, was told I have Hashimotos.  My doctor put me on levothyroxine which was nasty, nasty and the endo' started me on Armour thyroid which is much better.  The so called depression that my own doctor thought I had (I refused antidepressants) completely lifted when I took Armour thyroid and I know it is because there is a link to the T3 in Armour thyroid - Levothyroxine is just T4.

Anyhow, I had initially gained 6 kg until my Hashimotos was diagnosed then since April last year, I have gained another 10kg, in spite of the fact that my bloods are within normal range and my energy levels are good.  I walk my dog for an hour and a half each day, I am careful with what I eat - no junk food and have always been a healthy eater.  At 1.68 (5'6) I was 57kg (126lbs - 'ish) and a UK size 8 - US size 2-6.  My weight is continuing to increase and I am absolutely desperate and COMPLETELY share your views on refusing to accept that you have to grow larger simply because of our age or whatever!!!  I don't buy new clothes - I just go around in my pyjamas!!  Crazy, I know!  I have stopped socialising and only go out in the car or to walk my dog for a good cardio workout and in the hope that combined with the Armour thyroid, my metabolism is kept moving!

Out of sheer desperation, I have bought glucophage and have been on it now for 2 weeks.  Side effects were mostly headaches but they are easing but so far, not an ounce has come off.  I am at the 2000mg dose and have loss of appetite and food tastes strange, yet I still have not started losing weight.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with metformin and would love to stay in touch.  Your attitude is very determined (like me) and I wish you all the luck in the world!!  :)

Please pick up and read this book immediately: Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it) by Gary Taubes. He's a highly respected Science journalist who explains why otherwise intelligent doctors have it so wrong when it comes to issues of weight and why we gain it. It's all about insulin and the carbs we eat...NOT CALORIES in or calories burned thru exercise. You are NOT crazy, your doctors ARE misinformed. The info in this book has changed the way I eat and, along with 1 week on Met, resulted in a 6 lb weight loss so far. Good luck, msesq, I completely relate to your post and can't wait to hear back from you soon...it will be good news, I'm sure. Good luck to all!!
I hve been on met for 10 yrs.5oo mg will help with craving for sweets but i suggest a low carb/high fat diet.  Im on 2000mg again to control my sugar.

good luck
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January 2012. I have been on metformin 500mg twice a day and started to watch my carbs and I cut out my sugary drink (iced tea), In the first month alone I dropped 18.5 lbs. I was closely watching my carbs and eating a lot more salads and drinking water which I never really did.. I am so proud of the weight loss, I have a long way to go still but if I continue to eat like i am then I think I will continue to lose.. They say to eat 50-70 carbs per meal, I have kept my carbs on the low side, usually around 50 per meal.  I have never eaten 3 meals a day but I am now, but they are healthier than what I used to.  I cannot imagine that I am losing weight by eating more per day.. I never had believed this until I did it myself.
Also someone mentioned that the Depo shot usually causes weight loss, you are absolutely wrong.. The Depo shot causes weight GAIN, This is why my doctor did not want to give me it at first, she watched me closely and luckily it had no affect on me, if you truely want to lose weight, eat like a diabetic has to, google what is good for a diabetic and how to eat if you are a diabetic..... the diabetic diet works great, I'm living proof, to bad I wouldnt have figured this out before I was actually diabetic......good luck everyone
Not sure if you will get this.  But I am also diagnosied with PCOS.   I am on metformin.  The first time I took it I ended up taking 1000mg AM and 1000mg PM.  I lost 50 lbs.  I ate a very low carb diet.  Almost no carb for a few weeks then increased the carbs, but not more then 40 a day, and never in the form of refined sugar or White flour.  Then I got pregnant, something I never thought could happen - and due to the metforimin  I was able to conceive. Doctors dot know why it works on fertility, but it does in about 50% of PCOS cases.  I went off the meds and diet for the pregancy.  But I am back on it again and lost 12lbs this month - but am back on the low carb.  Look into diabetic diets and even Adkins Diet (what Im doing) if your colesterol is okay.  GOOD LUCK!!
I am 65yr.  I have been off Metfomim for years.  I was presecribed 500mg ER 2 x day.  After one day I am extremely tired after I take one pill.
I am concerned because unusual tiredness is a Severe side effect requiring immediate medical attention.
I also just started Metformin, 500mg 3x a day, on March 8th because I have PCOS. I watch what I eat now but never deprive myself 100% from the good stuff. I just eat smaller amounts and have a healthy breakfast. After work, around 5pm, I do 30 minutes on my elliptical. I have lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks, starting at 178 lbs. and weighing in this morning at 171 lbs. I just wanted to share this because I know that when I first started Metformin, I was very eager to see the positive results that others were having. As for pregnancy, it is not the reason I decided to start Metformin, it was more for weight loss and the other side effects of PCOS, but if I do get pregnant, it would be absolutely wonderful! Good luck all!
over a year ago my wonderful husband was put on diabetic med. metaformin 500 mg a day. he takes his in the day time. he weight 237lb at time of diagnos  and has in a less than a year dropped over 50 lbs not dieting but he contributes it to the medcine working his body right.  ten days ago my doctor who is interesed in my severe fluid ( rare lymph edema that is absorbing all over the body due to fluid leaking from accident.  I say I got Garryez  my own research is on it.) problem benefiting from metaformin. I weight 287lb at that visit. gained twenty pd a year did not lose even at 600calorie diets.  she suspect im my problem coulod be metabolic syndrom (syndrome).  something I did not check before or really knew much about.  I would go on the same drug. and in ten days I lost. and I actual did not diet. did not increase my exercise as I was peesing alot. I did not check it. more I drink the more I pee.  a neighbor noticed I lost weight and ask me If I had. I said I check it in a month time at my doctors appt. I did not want to have false hope but had a vision from God that I would have help to reverese the condition.  apparently it working for me. I suspect alot faster than my hubby was due to lymph absorbtion.  it gives me no changes in bowels though I am on a heartburn med to help me. I do not get nausea. but feel extreley tired. and also have top of head heaches.  I start a pt class for my knee and hips to strenthen next friday and plan on getting weight then. I will report back. my water diet is on tripod.  and I plan on sharing the good news with everyone.  I can't find my scale. but I feel smaller.but at my big size I would not want to excite anyone with a three lbs this after drinking fluid weight water loss.  but I am hopeful since 2004 summer I had not lost fluid..  and I am not dieting.I actual began forcing myself to eat 6 meal smaller a day. metaformin makes me not able to eat a large meal.  I don't know why.
Hi Alll
I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes 7weeks ago, I have lost 24.5lbs in that time. You will loose weight on meta formin ;500mg twice a day by just talking it but to grt the true benefit  my advice is eat  little and often using the gi index to plan your meals and snacks.i also attend slimming world and follow the green plan ,planning to go to the gym next week and put some exercise into my  life haha. You only get out of it what you put into it I don't want to be labeled I have been overweight al my life it's time to change now.
Metformin helped a little bit in the beginning for weight loss. I dropped 20 or so lbs at that time.
I've been taking it two years now and hasn't contributed to any additional weight loss by itself.

I don't know why it works for some or most and not others. I'm one of those in that percentage it doesn't work for weight loss. I'm taking 2000mg's a day, two tabs in the morning, two at night.  Be great if it aided in some weight loss though!
Hey, did it help you? your story is very much like mine! i've been suffering for 3 years and i'm been extremly ill, i've been that ill i've had to go into hospital! i put 17 kilos on in 3 months! and due to that i started to have stage one liver failure! since the begining i have put on 30 kilos, it's ruining my life, i don't know what to do, i don't have pcos or diabetes but i do have a adrenal gland tumor BUT the doctors said it's on the bottom of it and it doesn't effect my hormones, so i don't know what to do! i've had hormones problems since taking the pill (three years ago) and just in the 3 months i took it (like i said i put on 17 kilos) no one would belieive me, one hospital have finally said "we think your weight gain may be due to your hormone problems" and all my doctor says is you have to loose weight before my hormones get better, but i can't loose weight because of my hormones!! i don't know what to do anymore, the hospitals won't take me seriously, just because i'm fat they think i eat lots, but i don't! My doctor is refusing to give me metformin because my blood sugar levels are fine, but my gamma gt has gone up and i've having liver pains again! i just wish someone would listen to me and take me seriously! me and my fiancé are also trying for a baby, when i was finallt pregnant last year... I lost the baby due to low progesterone  :( since my miscarriage i only have a period once every three months,  we are desperatly wanting a baby but there is no point in trying now because my hormones are all over the place and my testosterone is way to high!  what can i do? how do i convince him to prescrib me it ?
if anyone has answers please email me ? liccle_leigh_eya***@****
My story is a little different - I've been put on Metformin for weight loss and to help with the cravings I get from my psychiatric medication. I have bipolar disorder.  Does anyone else share this illness and if so, how successful has Metformin been for weight loss?
I was prescribed Metformin 500 mg, to be taken twice or three times daily, to help with weight loss and cravings. I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, with a fasting blood glucose of 101 and fasting insulin levels of 23 (should be <5 according to doctor). I am also on thyroid medication (Armour Thyroid) and Medrol and Florinef for adrenal fatigue.

I recently went on a low carb diet, but could not stand it. All that fat made me feel sick. I also found that diet very boring after a couple of weeks; only meat, fish, oil, butter, cream, cheese and low glycemic vegetables allowed. I ended up missing fresh fruit and berries,  starchy vegetables like carrots and chick peas and some nuts and almonds.

My question is: are fresh fruit, berries, beans, chick peas and nuts OK when you are trying to lose weight with Metformin? Or are you supposed to stay off all of these foods?

I need to lose 40-50 pounds according to my doctor.

Is there anyone else here with a thyroid/adrenal problem who needs to lose weight? It seems a double challenge with endocrine disease, even on optimal dosages of replacement hormones...

I thank you so much for your honesty.
Hi joyelane,

I am 57 years old.  I had a period January of 2010, another in January of 2011, another in February of 2012 and the last in February of 2013 (with none in  between).  That was BEFORE I started taking Metformin.  I have been taken 1 in the morning and 2 inthe evening since April and have lost approximately 28 lbs.  I don't think having your period has anything to do with Metformin, you may wish to consult your gynecologist and have your hormone levels re-tested.  
I'm 51 and have been on metformin for several years for type 2 diabetes.  It does help to regulate the period.  I was very irregular for years, had endometriosis and had been on the pill.  I stopped the pill over 5 years ago, gained a lot of weight and am somewhat surprised to hear that metformin is used for weight loss.   I still get my period but have missed a month here and there, peri-menapause? who knows.  Sorry I can't comment on weight loss.  I was on another T2 diabetes med that made me blow up.  I just got off that and have seen crazy fluctuations in my weight.  I lose and gain 2-3 lbs on a daily basis.  Hoping that will finally settle to a steady weight loss.
Hi Audrey - I started on Metphormin about 2 months ago,  up to 1000 mg daily.  Im not diabetic,  but my doctor prescribed it because I was gaining weight despite a decent diet and a ton of excercise.  She was thinking that perhaps my body wasnt doing what it was supposed to regarding insulin.  I havent lost any weight,  and getting pretty dejected over it. There are some days I actually excercise twice a day!  Eating lots of protein,  etc.   I'll give it another 30 days,  see what happens.  I hope it works for you!
I would very much like to know your results as I have had a very similar exp, we have diabetes in my family, my daughter age 16 was diagnosed insulin resistant, but they did nothing for her, she's gone threw eating disordered behavior trying to loose weight and now lives on vegetables and yet still gains??? I have low thyroid too but meds have never helped with weight loss, I also eat one small healthy meal a day, and only loose if I totally starve for days...one day of eating halts the loss...its very discouraging...now I am loosing my hair I look like a radiation victim and still my doc does nothing, I like you have lost faith, and have great research skills, can you keep me posted on your progress, we are in Canada
have you been tested for celiac? its a wheat allergy and causes some of the same type symptoms that lactose intolerance causes in people that cant digest that...I was part of a breastfeeding network and one of our members had this issue withing 6 months she looked and felt like a different person, it can cause weight gain and retention..might not be your issue but worth checking into.
I forgot my password so I have been unable to get on.  Finally remembered it :)  How did that work for you?

hi,
im from Bangladesh.I'm 20 years old.i want to lose my weight as soon as possible. I wanna take met 500.is there any side effect of it? i mean any hormonal problem of taking it. Is it effective for loosing my weight?  how many to take it in per day?  
Metformin is a diabetes medicine I don't understand doctors giving it for weight loss but everyone here seems to take it for that. I take it for diabetes. I had no bad side effects and have been on it for well over a year. I have been loosing weight, not sure if it was from this med or not. Lost maybe 30+ pounds so far. I just found out I have a liver disease caused from the diabetes so doc put me on a strict diet. Told me to get a book called "Sugar Busters".  There are things NOT to eat but a whole lot I CAN eat.  Mostly NO added sugar, No products or can food with added sugar. No white flour. No white rice. No white or red potatoes. Books says No bananas or corn but my doctor says eat them both just be careful with amount. I sit at night with a bag of sunflower seeds and slowly nibble on them or other nuts and I don't crave anything. I've not started any exercise yet, but will be joining "silver sneakers" at the "Y" very soon.

I've had a weight problem all my life and this is the easiest diet (way of life change) that I ever tried. I will be able to stick to this and I do cheat sometimes. But the weight is coming off and that makes me want to stick to it. There is not much to think about if you get rid of everything bad in the pantry and frig first. Good luck to any one who may this...
Viewing 601-631 comments: