Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Metformin and weight loss

I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I've been taking 500mg metformin myself and I have not experienced any weight loss. I am actually taking it for diabetes treatment. But it has not helped with my weight loss.
i do not take it but my mother has been taking it for her diabetes and yes she has lost about 30 pounds sinces going on it which is a good thing . good luck
I haven't had any experience with it YET.  But my endorcrinologist said that he believes i am Insulin Resistant, more blood tests will tell in a few weeks, and he may put me on Metformin... He did say it 'should' help with weight loss, i am stuck stuck stuck as of now... Please keep me posted on your progress!  Good Luck!
I take metformin for diabetes and in 2 months of taken it i have lost 30 pounds. Which was a great thing. But i also have cut back on what i eat. And i no longer am addicted to Dr.Peppers..lol..So weather it's the meds or my cuting back i'm not sure,but i have lost the wieght.
I am insulin resistant and have started taking 500 mg Metformin about 5-10 minutes before meals.This affects my appetite tremendously and makes me feel full. I have lost 12 pounds in about 3 weeks. I drive a truck at night and am very inactive.As I got very bored driving,my companion was "food".You know where that lead...lol. Learn to take your Metformin with food and I think you will see some weight loss.I experienced some stomach distress at first, but decided to stick it out.After a few days, my problems went away.Good luck!
I have been taking 500 mg metformin for about 6 years.   I think there may have been some initial weight loss but once my body got used to the medication I gained much of what I lost back again in a few years.   I think the initial weight loss occurred because my body wasn't used to the medication which resulted in any excess junk being removed from my body (meaning I had to go to the bathroom a lot, mostly runs).  

I think it took about 2 months before my body settled down I could lead a normal life without worrying about where the bathroom was.   but then I also made some changes to what I ate which also could contribute to the weight loss.    

I also take the medication for type 2 diabetes.  I also take glyburide for my diabetes.  

I would say that it is a 50/50 chance whether you would lose weight in the long run as the product wasn't designed as a weight loss product.  (but I'm not a doctor so your dr. might be able to tell you what to expect).  

I have been taking metformin for a week and have lost 19 pounds i am taking it for pcos and it has worked wonders i also have a normal cycle now i dont know if you have one or not but if you dont hopefully it will help
You lost 19pounds in 1 week, just by taking metformin? Are you also watching what you eat and excercising?
yes i have been eating alot of greens (yuck) and i have only also been eating boneless skinless chicken breast if i get a craving for sugar i have a frozen jusice can on it and eat a tablespoon of grape juice concentrate lol i also walk around the track at the high school i get very out of breath but it helps when you have juice or water to drink along the path. Also i puree fruit and put it in ice cube trays it is an extra boost to water as well i also drink ginger ale 3 a day (cans) i am 200 ponds now and i am 5 foot 3 also to get yourself used to walking like i did my initial work out was walking down my driveway and to the door 2 times a day. one of the diets i am on is really freat and the food is fantastic is the biggest looser cookbook its like 15 dollars at barnes and noble the recipes are great and affordable i am married and we live on a 100 dollar a month food buget and we seem to feat at every meal. If you are like me i always had cravings for doughnuts and icecream and energy drinks and soda i also have a portion control problem. the book i refered you to is perfect because you get to see alot of food you can still have soda just like fresca or sprite or gingerale. also if you are a snacker try eating sweeter fruit like cantaloupe it works wonders for the sweet tooth. also i suck on werthers carmel hard candy and its sweet and takes care of my cravings as well you can also  try licorice as well good luck and feel free to email me at my personal email ***@****  or call i would love to make a new friend
I would love to get you email...I just started taking metformin and would love to have the support!
Hey for whatever reason it wont let me email thru heres my number ***-****
OK, I have read all these posts on Metformin, and i don't believe this has to do with your weight loss! My boyfriend has taken this med. for two years, and from the beginning, he hasn't lost ANY weight! And his doctor had him taking 1000mg AM, and PM. He is diabetic. I think you changing what you're eating, the amount you eat, and walking more often is the reasons why you loose weight! And also, it is VERY, VERY unhealthy to loose 19LBS in 1 week! If that's what is happening you should eat more Cal's!  I've never meet a doctor who would be OK with ANYONE losing that much so fast! It is normal to loose 5-6lbs the 1st week on any new diet, b/c most people drink more water when starting a new diet, so they loose water weight! I hope you all can see why i think it is so silly to think that that pill of them all, is the reason why you're loosing weight! If you're taking this pill just to loose weight, and not for a health reason, you should stop taking it, and see that if you keep eating healthy, and walking, you'll still loose! And BTW, taking this pill 10 mins before a meal to help with your appetite is crazy! All diet pills tell you to take it 30min.s before each meal.. b/c it takes 30 min.s to start working...10 min.s? that pill isn't doing anything for you when you're eating! Sorry if any of this makes anyone mad, but this is so funny to read!
well maybe ur doctor has told u differen becuz my doc has told me that it works.
&& ion think u can argue with a doctor unless ur one;
It wont let me see your # either?  My email is ***@****
***@****
Maybe you have been told different information than other and you are not the one who is taking it are you? The fact that its your husband taking it does have something to do with you not seeing results,most the people that have wrote on here are women/female and have pcos and or diabetes and that plays a big role on the effects of the meds! because theres something more going on that you dont understand because lol your husband dont have overies well at least i hope not.....but meds affect people in all different ways I just started taking it for pcos and insulin resistance has only been a couple days so far so Ill let you all know,but pcos cause weight gain and the insulin resistance causes the pcos so the insulin resistance is treated first with metformin which should help with the weight loss because you need to loose weight in order for the pcos to get better and the resistance problem goes away......................so All in All it could help some loose weight and effect men and women different!!!!!!
I am hoping it works because I am starting it tomorrow, just for weight loss. One of my friends tried it and nothing happened for a month, and then she lost 25 pounds.  Maybe it has to do with insulin in people who are not diabetics. I can only hope.  Wish me luck.
I've been on met for a month now (due to pcos).  So far I have not lost any weight, in fact I have gained about 4lbs. (ugh!)  Im not eating more or exercising less so Im not sure where the gain has came from if it isnt the medication.  I am on 1500mg per day and the dr. has me taking them at bedtime with food-which totally makes no sense to me since eating before bed is BAD!  I usually just skip the snack and take it without eating.  So far I have experienced only very mild side effects (vomiting once).  One thing I am trying to figure out is if the metformin is the reason I feel so drained.  I have zero energy.  I've never been the most energetic person but now I have so little energy I find myself spending less time shopping and going to church.  I hear the met can cause a B12 deficiency, so maybe thats what it is.  The pharmacist tells me its hard to absorb the vitamin so its kind of pointless to take them.  Anyway thats my met experience.
I take 1000mg twice a day and i have lost over 45 lbs. No exercising or watching what I eat. I have PCOS so maybe my low insulin makes me less hungry. Whatever it takes. I have to make myself eat.
i was diagnoised 8/14/07  with T=2  because of rapid weight loss was 116 at the time. put on
metformin 8/14 weight myself today lost 4 lbs.  I don't need to lose weight  little scary. i take

500mg 1 per day. would appreciate your thoughts.  my gloucose was 120  my a1c was 6.2
random test no fasting at diagnios. excuse miss spelling.
mary S
Has anyone tried Chromax for pcos? Just researched it and it is supposed to help..
Hi everyone. I am new to this site but I have some input on Metformin from my personal experience.  When my husband and I were married just over two years, trying to get pregnant that whole time, we sought the help of infertility specialists.  At the time I was about 165 lb at 5'3.  I started to gain weight at about age 25 and at age 31 I was very overweight even with diet and exercise.  My cycles were all over the place as well.  My husband is Air Force and infertility is not exactly first on their list of things to help people with.  When we finally saw an endocrinoligist, he took one look at me and put me on metformin.  My husband had infertility problems on his side too and they told us we would have a 5% chance of getting pregnant without using Invitro.  I was on Metformin for about 3 months and lost 15 lb.  I also found out I was pregnant (naturally) within 6 months.  My daughter will be celebrating her first birthday on the 27th of September. I only gained about 30 lb and was happy that I had lost that 15 before hand.  
I have also just started Metformin again.  Now that I am slowly weening my daughter from breastmilk and my cycles have started they are all over the place again.  And I am gaining weight left and right.  Now that I have started Metformin I have my energy back, I do not crave sugar as much, and I am loosing weight.  
I have lost more than 25 pounds during the last two years after  ( perhaps due to)  I started taking Metformin for my diabetes.  I take 500 mg. two times a day.  I watch my food and do regular exercise ( but not too much).
I have become too skinny with this weight loss and would like to reverse the pattern, and gain some weight.  Quite opposite what most of the people in the USA need.

If any one has any idea as how to gain weight, please let me know.  Perhaps some other people may also benefit with your suggestion.
Further, if anyone is familiar with some natural ways of controlling diabetes 2, please share your ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Robert, NYC.

I have had AWESOME results. I did some research and Metformin is indeed used for weightloss and it is recommended that the pills be taken about 10-15 minutes before eating. It reduces hunger pains as well as makes you feel full due to the expansion of the tablets.
I take 2000 mgs. a day. I have lost 44 pounds and counting. I have also changed some of my eating habits, but unfortunately, I am having a hard time giving up the carbohydrates. I do not have diabetes but I do have  metabolic syndrome with a pre-diabetes prevention. The main issue is the fact that my appetite has been greatly reduced. I just am not hungry all the time. Whether it's from the pills or the reduction of insulin into my body --- I like it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm looking good sista'!!!!
I have not taken this medication yet but I was recent diagnoised with PCOS and the dr. wants to put me on this med. I want to have children so will this help me regulate my periods to become pregnant??? Do I have to get off of this med to get pregnant?? I am really dont know what to expect! I am only 25 and having problems!! Its probably not as bad as I think it is but I am having issues with the weight and acne part of it!!
Do you have to have Diabetes to get this medication?
hey ladies! I am so glad i found this thread on metformin. i just started taking it about a week ago. i need to lose a lot of weight - about 80lbs. i have been dieting and exercising like crazy and ive only lost about 2lbs in 2 months, which is nowhere near enough for me. i have pcos and metabolic syndrome, so my dr suggested metformin. i just wanted to know if this will help me lose weight...? and if so, how much do you think is the average?
I was diagnosed with Insulin resistance this past friday. I was put on metformin ER and have a thyroid problem, AND have Anemia........I was wondering if this combo is bad...I mean doesnt it cause Vit. B12 def? Anyways, has anyone who is I.Resistant lost any weight using this? Just curious.
I have been taking 500mg of metformin ER for over a year now. I haven't lost any weight, but I do feel like it helps me keep the smallest amount of control over my weight gain. Has anyone lost weight taking 1000mg? Is 500 just not enough? Would love hear from you.
You can also email me.
mindy_225***@****
I’m in pre-diabetes denial.  I was prescribed Metformin (“MET”) almost 3 weeks ago.  I’ve been taking it about two weeks.  I wasn’t going to take it until my doctor said it will help me lose weight.  Within the first 3 days I became violently ill.  Food poising like symptoms.  I don’t know if it was the MET or bad sushi.   My mother (my roommate) is a diabetic so; we’ve been eating our meals based on her diet.  LOW CARBS, NO SUGAR, lots of salmon and chicken.  

When I do fall off the wagon, the sugar does upset my stomach.  So, no more refined sugar for me.  I use replacements like Agave Nectar (light), honey crisp apples or Vita waters for my sweet tooth.  Had to cut out Blended Espressos with Caramel too.  I read somewhere that bakery goods and foods made with flour are no very good for us either.

I’ve only lost about 1.5 lbs but I have noticed a decrease in belly and butt fat.  I sit more comfortably and can bend forward without squishing my insides.  All of my fat is centered at my mid-section and chest.

I try to have a small salad at 3pm every day to keep me going, but like one of you mentioned, you forget to eat sometimes due to the MET.  So when I do forget to eat in the in the afternoon causing my sugar go low, I keep the Agave Nectar at my desk or carry an apple with me (Balance Bars are nice too).

I’m starting back with exercise and taking stairs whenever possible.  I’m just going to walk for now, until I get used to the MET.

Don’t forget to drink a lot of water, the MET causes me to dehydrate.

Keep writing, and good health to you all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have to be Pre-Diabetic or insulin resistant or lastly have PCOS to get on the med. you cant just go in and say you would like to be put on it.Because the whole point of it is for it to help your body accept insulin so it can get obsorbed,and people with insulin resistance and PCOS  are usually over weight and its sapose to help control your weight if not make you loose some.

I have not taken this medication yet but I was recent diagnoised with PCOS and the dr. wants to put me on this med. I want to have children so will this help me regulate my periods to become pregnant??? Do I have to get off of this med to get pregnant??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metformin will not help to regulate your periods it is for a totally different cause,most people with PCOS also are pre-diabetic which is the cause of the PCOS in the first place. Birth control is usually what you are put on too, to try and get your periods going right. If you dont have a period at all then they will give you a hormone for 7-10 days to force your body to have one. PCOS will make it harder to have children but that dosent mean that you can not try or in fact have them it all depends on your situation....and I dont think the pills would be in the way if you were trying to get pregnant but once you find that you are then you would probably want to talk to your doctor about wether or not they think it would be in your best intrest to stay on them or not.First thing is first get healthy and make sure everything is under control and periods are regulated befor you try to have a child because if not things could get more diffacult,and if you find that you cannot have children on your own there are pills and stuff they can put you on and that mite just solve the problem but then you mite get multi births lol so hope this helped alittle
thanks
What mg are you taking? I am on 500 mg and it has done nothing for weight loss. It actually constipated me for the first few days and gave me heartburn and chest pain. I don't know if that is normal or not. My doctor says I am insulin resistant and he thinks this will help me loss weight. Should I ask to increase it? Or is it to soon?
I am on the lowest mg 500 i think and i have been on it a little over a month now and it may have helped me loose maybe 5pounds but nothing more so far. Its not a weight loss pill but it is known to help some people loose weight not telling how much but it will help some. It helps you because the pill is for insulin resistance and once your body starts excepting sugar again it helps you burn it and everything appose to the sugar just sitting in your body causing you to gain weight because its not going to the proper cells. The pill does have its side affects but if you think its something abnormal then you should probably just talk to your doc about it and clear it up if it continues. You have to give the pill a chance and let your body get use to it befor you increase the dose your doc will also tell you about that if you ask,but give it a chance its not a miracle pill but it will help you if you take it properly and diet and excercise heck that may help even more.
Good luck

Leslie D.
Hi - I need to lose about 60-70 lbs. I have an underactive thyroid and am on levoxyl (SP?) - Anyway I have been jogging 4 miles  3x/week + 1 hour of weights at the gym and have a trainer. - I can't lose any weight! I fluctuate between a loss of 1-2 lbs but thats it....The workouts have reduced my cholest. and my Thyroid is norm. - my mean blood glucose is 101. When I was in my 20's I did a sugar test because I was having trouble with sugar in general - the test back then (coke syrup and blood tests) - showed that I had trouble absorbing sugar - basically it hung out in my blood stream a lot longer and I did not absorb it as fast. When I had my 2nd child in my mid 30's I became a gestational  diabetic. The doc most recently perscribed Metformin - but I am not a full out diabetic and have never taken insulin - in fact while preg. I did not have to take it - I just had to monitor my blood sugar often and control it - really well with diet. - Has anyone had any expereice taking this as just a weight loss drug and are their serious side effects - if your not a full blown diabetic? My doc mentioned nothing about PCOS - I was recently 2 weeks late with my period (not preg. and tests showed not peri menopause)...I'm really nervous taking this stuff...I'm 5'3" and weight 180 and most of my weight is on my thighs and stomach....any experience with this stuff as a non diabetic for weight loss I would love to hear more....thanks  
Good evening everyone. I just started this medication yesterday. The doctor I saw prescribed it to me along with 7 days worth of medroxprogesterone (which is supposed to induce my period). My husband and I are trying to have a baby but I haven't had a regular period since I was about 18 (so 4 years). We've only been trying to get pregnant for 5 months but the concern laid in the fact that I don't get periods normally unless I'm on birth control. I have never been diagnosed with PCOS nor do I have diabetes but I am considered "overweight"/"obese" by medical standards. I put those words in italics because I personally believe that height/weight charts are laughable and it's no way to actually judge whether or not a person is at a healthy weight. I can guarantee that I will never weight 135 LBs. I certainly do need to lose some weight because I am carrying some unhealthy weight but I am one of those people who will never be thin or "height/weight proportionate".
At this point, the doctor is trying to induce the period and actually have it stay so that we know when I'm ovulating. I am also starting a new exercise regime. Seeing as I'm already a very healthy eater, I don't have to make too terribly many changes in my diet. I do not eat trans fat, try to stay away from a lot of enriched flour products (white bread etc), I eat little red meat and eat a lot of skinless boneless chicken and make sure to have at least 4 servings of fruits a day. I also try to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day. We'll see how all of this works...hopefully I'm successful. The doctor is shooting for a 5-10% weight loss. I have been quite successful at maintaining my weight with my diet alone so I am hoping that with the added exercise I will be able to accomplish this.
I don't know how effective it would be for someone that isn't being treated for diabetes, pcos, insulin resistance, etc.

In my personal experience it hasn't been a "magic diet pill" so to speak. Perhaps its because I am a diabetic. I have been taking this medication for a little over a year. I did not lose any weight initially but did notice it helped suppress my appetite.

It was only after I decided to completely cut out all drinks containing sugar & corn syrup from my diet that I noticed some weight loss. I also began to notice a reduction in cravings for other sweets. This made it a little easier to cut out most junk food. Once I adjusted to those changes I experienced less mood swings, and felt better overall. I continued making positive changes to my diet by eating healthier foods and rich or starchy foods only in moderation. Eventually, I made a full transition into a low carbohydrate lifestyle (better known as the "Dr. Atkins" dietary plan.) This above all, made the greatest impact on my weight loss (approx. 30lbs.)

I have a long way to go before I reach a "healthy" weight. However, I now understand that a healthy lifestyle is attainable. Although it hasn't always been easy for me, it has all been worth it. "Why?" because, I now realize I'm worth it.

I wish everyone good health, weight loss success, and happiness!!

Dez
A healthy lifestyle is what is important. If you have a healthy lifestyle, are active, have a good BP, blood sugar etc etc and you are at a steady weight...you are at a healthy weight. That is my non medical background but well researched opinion!

please e-mail me, I have some questions about your experience with metformin and your weight loss.
***@****
I noticed many people talking about taking Metformin BEFORE they eat to suppress appetite and then report stomach issues like vomiting.  Metformin is very hard on your empty stomach and must be taken WITH food for that very reason.  I wonder if eating something light and low calorie like carrots or something, and then taking the metformin, well before meals, would solve that problem?  I had been taking 1000mg a day for the past two months, and lost no weight, but doc says now that i'm starting 2000mg, i'll see a difference.
I was prescribed Metformin when I was diagnosed with PCOS.  It made me deathly ill... it doesn't effect everyone that way but I know quite a few that it does.  I took it with food, before food, after food, with bread, with Tums AND food and on and on.  LOL  I am now going to try the hcg injection for weight loss as well as the fact that I've read it helps with the PCOS symptoms, excessive facial hair etc.

I know one friend that had great luck with losing weight on Metformin.  She agreed that the first couple weeks she lost weight because she lived in the bathroom but after that she continued to lose.  She accredits a lot of that also to the fact that after her body regulated to the Metformin she felt better and was better able to get some exercise and it helped with the emotional eating she'd done because she began to physically feel better.

From my understanding Metformin is not prescribed as a weight loss drug, that is just a positive effect some people see.  Metformin is used for the treatment of diabetes and severe PCOS only--just from what I've been told.  I would be a little concerned about someone giving you a drug that effects your insulin levels purely to lose weight.

However... if it works YIPPEE SKIPPY.   If it works and doesn't have any negative side efffects WOOHOO.  This coming from a woman who's been thin all her 39 years then had two major shoulder surgeries, "got" PCOS and arthritis within a year and woke up in a FAT SUIT with the zipper stuck on it!!!  :-)~
metformin has been a life saver for me !......Ihave lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks.I am inuslin resistant and have pcos

nancy
My MD has me on a low-carb diet and I am walking 1-2 miles daily and mild exercies which I think is a great help..I have lost 18 pounds in about 6 weeks... I now have more energy .....I have suffered form PCOS for 16 years and thought there was no hope, but now that I know I am unsulin resistant and there is a help with metformin and I can help by controling my  diet and exercise  I feel revived !!....but you must have a mind set to do it, and stick with it no matter how discouraged you get ....follow your MD's advice and I think you will see good results, I have

Nancy Graves
I think that's AWESOME!!!  I wish that my body could have tolerated the Metformin but it just couldn't.

I am going to a Bariatric Doctor today at 1:30 and am going to discuss hcg and how it relates to PCOS.  I've heard from a couple people that it has actually helped some of the symptoms of it which kind of makes sense to me since it is a disease directly related to the female reproductive system and the hcg is derived from the hormone juiced urine of pregnant women.  

Weight loss would be AWESOME if it worked for me (the hcg) but I would be just as thrilled if it were to help some with say the facial hair.  And the hcg will be cheaper each month than the pill I take (it's a water pill but is supposed to help with the hair, Spironlactone or something like that, don't have the bottle in here) and the Vaniqua I use!!

Keep up the good work!!
What dosage of metformin are you on?
Metformin update... I just got back from the Dr. getting my first hcg injection.  We discussed at length my PCOS and history of problems with Metformin.  She explained to me in detail some different issues with Metformin generics, different compounds etc and explained exactly how it should be taken.  I'm going to try it again based on her guidelines and see if my body can take it.  She said that not only will it help my PCOS (which I knew) but that she had had really good results in her patients with weight loss so I'm willing to give it another try...

Fingers crossed!
let's try this again, I started taking metformin on friday, I need to loose at least 30lbs, I hope it works, I feel so tired and dizzy but mostly tired, then again I am thinking I have a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. anyway even if I loose 15lbs with it I'll be happy, wish me luck, I guess we will see how it goes.
meabdeslam
i am on 500my morning and night
hope you can get someting to work for ya...as of today  (11-19-07) I have lost 19 pounds and feel good. Metformin doesnt seem to bother me that much, just an occousional tummy ache when I dont eat food with it so I would suggest everyone who is on it to take it with meals . I see my MD again on DEC. 20 so by then I hope to reach a goal of 25 pounds. I am walking 2-3 miles daily and I really thinks that help boose the metabolism  but finding the time to do it is the hard part when I work long hours at the hosp. I am thrilled at my weight loss, now if it helps regulate my cycles I would be happy
Hi, I'm new to this forum (thrilled with the information).  I've been on 850mg of metformin with breakfast for 2 weeks....my appetitie and cravings have disappeared.  I haven't yet gotten on the scale (tomorrow with trainer). ....previously i can work out with wts. and 4 hour of hard cardio and hopefully lose a pound a month!

I do eat 3X a day, but not to excess anymore.  i guess the real test will be Thanksgiving.

I'm borderline insulin resistant, this seems to be what I need.....will post results if anyone wants to hear.
I started on the Metformin today following the guidelines the Dr. gave me... so far so good.  I know the first time I took it I was sick within an hour and today I've not felt anything other than a headache but honestly I think that's due to my insomnia and not going to bed until 6AM this morning and getting up at 8AM...

It seems that people that can tolerate it have had success with it.  I'm doing okay with the hcg shots so I mainly hope the Metformin will help with the PCOS.

Also, Metformin is being used for a weight loss aid I guess in people with stress issues.  I live an amazingly high stress life (not enough room on the internet to go into that one) and have learned that when your body is enduring constant high stress, it causes your liver (? pretty sure it was liver) to produce an excess of enzymes and insullin to give your muscles the "strength" to cope with the physical side effects of stress.  A natural defense mechanism but a real wammy for someone with PCOS and insullin resistance.  I'm hoping it helps that issue too.  

I'd love to hear how you're doing with the 25 pound goal.

Even though I weigh 207 lbs I'm very fortunate that it's distributed itself well so I really don't look like the typical 207 lb person.  I still have ten inches between my waist and hip measurements, have a voluptuous "upper body" (tmi I know lol) which balances my hips and I'm 5'9" so I carry the weight okay.  But even with that porportion, I am totally disgusted with a size 18 and 207 lbs so my goal is more of a size than a weight.  I'm working back toward a size 10/12... I'm hoping to be there by March when I turn FORTY...
I recently started taking metformin for weight loss on Nov. 24th. Doc says I'am borderline diabetic and need to lose weight. The drug was prescribed to help with the weight loss. However she stressed that you still need to watch your diet and exercise. I have been doing this for a long time but kept going up and down with my weight. I am 5 4" and currently weigh 235.5. I weigh in every Tuesday and after 4 days I lost 3 pounds. I am now starting to take the meds 2 xs a day so it will be interesting to see what happens next week. You mentioned you would like to get to know someone for support. I would also like this and think it would be helpful. I know this is my battle and I have to get it done to live a happy healthy life. It is finally time to put myself first!!! Hope to hear from you so we can support eachother.
I just started taking metformin for weight loss ( pre-diabetic). Is it reasonable to expect that I could lose 40 pounds by Christmas??? Along with watching my diet and exercising ofcourse. That would be truly awesome. That is in about 5 weeks.
i have pcos and i take metforin to treat this. when i first started, i did loose lots of weight but i had massive side effects. mainly nausia, headaches, and at times d&v. i find i have to take it at specific times or the side effects are much worse. the weight loss was sudden but it no longer sems to effect weight loss or gain. if you are planning to take this drug specifically for weight loss, be aware that side effects are pretty debilitating and that it is not really a sustainable option. can any enlighten me on the effects of adderall (adderrall)/provgil and metforin?
the nausia and headaches & vomiting haven't bothered me so far. I do  need to keep close to the bathroom which is a very typical side effect of the med. I know I need to watch my diet to really get the best results along with exercise. This gets easier with weight loss so the met is helping me to get more active. I am concerned about firming my body up after the weight is gone, especially the stomach area. I do ab work and workout with light weights to help with this.
I have been
I have been prescribed metformin for insulin and pcos. Do I have to take this all my life.
I gather you have diabetes if you take met for insulin. I plead ignorance, I do not know what pcos stands for. I am sorry you have to take it for the rest of your life.
I have been taking respirdal since 2004 and it has left me with a considerable weight gain I am now 100kg 220 pounds. and considered obese, I am looking in to met and have been researching it a lot the last few days. This site is very helpful and will look forward to finding out more as the time goes on. I do not have diabetes but I have had an increased appetite from the meds I am on, does anyone know if MET will help to decrease my weight?

- Kat  
As of Dec. 5 I have lost 23 pounds !..I am almost to MY goal of 25 lbs. With the holidays coming I am sure I am bound to slip alittle but that means walking alittle more each day I guess. I see the MD again on 12/20 so we will see how the metformin is helping with my insulin resistance and my PCOS. I have not had a"normal" resuming of my cycle though since starting the metformmin so this will be an issure to discuss with my MD again. I feel good overall and the weight loss seems to be "all over" my body, not just in one particuliar area which is good I guess. I am in a smaller size jeans now...that was thrill !
My step-daughter is less than 12 years old.  She is morbidly obese and was prescribed Metformin by her endocrinologist several weeks ago.  She is not diabetic, she has normal thyroid, insulin, and hormone levels.  Does anyone have experience with this medication for children who are not diabetic and have been given Metformin for weight loss?  We are concerned about the possible side-effects of this medication.
hey
I am getting ready to go on Metformin tomorrow. I was prescribed Metformin for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) basically because in 10 months of trying to get pregnant, we were having no luck because I was not ovulating! I am really encouraged by all of the positive weight loss results, but I am a bit worried about the side effects. My doctor said that they should get better in a week or two. Has anyone gotten pregnant using the Meformin? Or know anyone who has gotten regular periods? Thanks!
Hello, I have been trying to get pregnaunt (pregnant) for almost 5 years now. Its been very frustrating,especially since my husband is not any support.  I have been taking clomiphene for three months without any luck.  I have read everything I come across about infertility.  Clomiphene tells your hyperthalamus to tell your ovaries to produce extra mature eggs.  I have one blocked tube so Im hoping the clomiphene will make both ovaries ovulate.  Metformin is supposed to help your body utilize clomiphene and produce those extra eggs.  I have read about women becoming pregnaunt (pregnant) on Metformin, good luck to you.  Taking clomiphene increases your chance about 10% of having multiples.  At this point I would love what I can get.
I have reached my 25 pound weight loss amount...YEA!! but I am still working hard...watching my carb and calorie intake and walking 3 miles at leat 3 times a week and lesser amounts in between. I see the MD on 12/20 for a check up. I have NOT resummed a normal cycle since starting the Metformin on Oct. 10 so I will ask my MD about the med to make me have a cycle (Provera has always been the usual prescribed med) I have battled PCOS for 16 years so my cycles have always been scattered to non exixtant most of the time....at least I feel better with my weight loss physicallly and mentally I do think the Metformion has helped with my weightloss . I do not seem to have any side affects now that my body has adjusted to the medication as I have been on it for over 2 months. At this point concieving/fertility  is not an issue for me as I am resolved to the idea of not having children now ( I am 39 and getting alittle old !) so I dont think if need to consider fertility drugs along with the metformin. MY blood sugars are within normal range now since begining the metformin so that is a great help with my insulin resistance.

Best of luck to each of you and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

nancy
I have gotten A  good report from my MD.....my A1C has come down to 5.5 from 6.4 in Oct..which is GREAT !.....I have lost 27 pounds ( I did not gain any over the holiday and I even sneaked alittle sweets in ) my MD  was very happy with me...and I was happy with myself as well. Its been determination all the way. I am responding well to the Metformin so I am on the right track and showing goo response to the medication for my insulin resistance
. I have not resumed a normal cycle yet but he MD is not concerned with this yet as fertility is not an immediate issue for me. I have been told that usually the metformin helps with the resuming of normal cycles once the insulin begins to improve and the "male" hormones get under control, usually with in 6 months of begining  metformin therpy...so we will wait and see... I have a recheck in two months.

I am having a new issue with my HDL cholestrol. It is to low 29  ( meaning its bad) so I am now on Niacin 500 mg with a gradual increase to 1500mg per day over a course of the next month. MD thinks this will help improve it , even though my "total" cholestrol went form 167 down to 157 which is good .....the HDL is an issue  to improve on

I hope 2008 is the year I can beat all these problems !

Nancy
I have PCOS and was diagnosed about 10 years ago.  
Miraculously I  got pregnant with my daughter, but the second time is another matter.  This is actually my 3rd stab at met, with the first two times ending in upset stomach and such.     This time though, I made it up to my recommended dose of 2000mg a day and have had very few issues other than a little heartburn etc.  I have also cut out all wine/alcohol, limited my caloric intake to about 1400/day following a diabetic eating plan, and I am working out with weights and cardio about 4 times per week.  I have lost 7.5 pounds in 2 weeks and it seems to be meling off of me.  I am trying to get pregnant with my second child and hoping that this regime will do the trick  Ultimately, I would like to lose about 45-50 more pounds, taking me to 170.  I am 5'10 and also considered obese by most charts, but I tend to disperse the weight over my whole body. I think that about 75% of my weight issues are mental and revolve around feeding my emotions (depression/anxiety) and the PCOS/insulin resistance only compounds habits that already existed.  I have had to get "real" with myself and seek out other ways to deal with my anxiety and seasonal depression.  Working out is that las thing that I would ever want to do, but it does work.  I kinda view it like getting my yearly pap.....unpleasant, somewhat embarrassing, but necessary and required for healthy living.   I am interested in hearing other people's experiences with metformin and PCOS
I was just diagnosed with PCOS about a month ago, and I'm in my last few day of my cycle.( I can' t remember the last time before this)
Well I must say, and I'm sure you can all agree, that the most upsetting and deperssing, physically (besides being shaped like an M&M) is the hair, not just a llittle hair on you face, but I have hair on my stomach and some around my nipples. Of course I've try everything Nair, wax, (NEVER SHAVE) I looked into lazer hair removal and it's pretty expensive, but i'm sure well worth it. What I don't get is how they can say its not covered under our insurance when its clearly a side effect from a medical issue.(PCOS) I'ts just very upsetting , my Dr. gave me a some birth control pill to help w/ the hair issue, but I can't start taking it until my cycle ends. She also said that the Metformin would help.
Has any one had any luck w/the related hair issues? If so please share.
I was diagnosed with diabetes a little over a year ago and I was on insulin shots which made me balloon up. So then my doctor  started me on Metformin about a month or so ago , I also had irregular periods, now I can sy that my periods are normal, but I don't really know if it made me loose any weight, but yesterday I was at a family members house and she said it looked like I was droping some lbs. I can sort of notice a little change like my clothes are not as snug but I have not got the courage to step on the scale yet. One more thing I agree with the person who said it makes you feel full , that part is 100% true it really decreases my hunger and appitite(spelled wrong)  I will keep you all posted. P.S. As of right now I am taking the 500mg. Thursday I start the 1000 mg dose so we will see.
I started taking Metformin for weight loss on 12/7/07 and have lost 8lbs. I was impressed because I was not that good over the holidays. I am back on to the program now and hope to continue to lose. It is helpful to see that other people have had sucess with Metformin.
I was prescribed with metforminXR 500mg... instructions says not to chew, crush- swallow as whole. how do you manage to swallow that huge pill? HELP~!
Just got back from the Doctor to be told myt blood sugar is above normal for the first time in my life.
He rx'd Metformin 500mg twice daily.I will start taking it today along with a diet/excersize plan. I would like to know if any one has used this drug to assist weight loss/sugar control and then been able to control blood sugar levels without the drug? Once you start, is it forever? I have never posted to a site like this,hope I get a response.
I am not a diabetic although in runs in my family and I have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but I am overweight.  We are going through IVF to get pregnant and I will be starting all the hormones when I start my period the end of this month.  I have been trying to loose 25-30 lbs for what seems like forever.  My fertility MD just prescribed Metformin for me today.  I am very leary because I don't like to take pills other than those that are natural ( I take alot of Vitamins). I will keep you up to date on my weight loss if there is any.
Just an update: Started Metformin on January 5. As of today, I lost 11 lbs with no exercise. Hoping to lose more...
I started taking Metformin about 7 months ago as insulin therapy[prescribed by my doctor]I have lost 13lbs and am concerned because I am not overweight.Does this weight loss stop at some stage when the body gets 'adjusted' to the medicine?Does anyone know about alternative natural options for insulin therapy?
thanks
My little girl is 6 yrs old and diagnosed with insulin resistants and metabolic syndrome she was put on riomet 1000 mg a day since nov.17 2007 and she lost 6.5 lbs since then we are so pround of her she is too young to be worring about this stuff but I think this result so far is great does it work better taking it before meals I have been giving her it after she eats.............Please let us know I am just a worried mommy!!
I'm a diabetic, and I've been on metformin for years and have never heard of it being used for weight loss.  I have not lost any weight while I was on it, unless I was doing something else, as I am now.  In fact, metformin usually can make one gain weight.

If you're on metformin for DIABETES, no, it's not forever.  But don't come off it without your doctor's guidance.  If you lose weight, as I have, your dose can be lowered.  As you lost weight you have to really watch your blood sugar readings, because they can go too low if you lose weight and stay on your diabetes meds.  15 pounds is usually considered the equivalent to a dose of med, but there are different doses.  

I really am concerned for people who use these drugs for something other than what they are prescribed for.  They're not always safe even when prescribed for an illness or condition, i.e. metformin for diabetes.  I'm going to come off of it as soon as I can.

Please be careful!
i've been prescribed 1500 mg of metformin [500 three times a day] for borderline diabetes. i've lost 4 pounds in  week. if you cut out carbs at the same time it really has great results. the weight loss will help with the diabetes. the pills [i take them after meals] help you not to crave carbs, or so i find. i'll keep you posted. vique
How the heck are y'all getting metformin if you're not diabetic????  It's a diabetes drug!  Are there some doctors out there who need to lose their licenses???
I am 25 and was diagnosed with PCOS on 1/7.  My doctor prescribed Met along with a healthy diet and exercise.  Thats pretty much all the info she gave me.  I was wondering if anyone's dr. told them to watch the carbs, will this decrease the effects of the meds?  Also my stomach was upset for about the first week, but it seems to be getting better, does anyone know if this is aggrevated by what you eat?
BELIEVE ME WE RESEARCHED OVER AND OVER METFORMIN IS GIVEN FOR MORE THEN DIABETES IT IS FOR INSULIN RESISTANCE AND SOME METABOLIC DISORDERS OUR DAUGHTERS SPECIALIST PERSCRIBED IT IT IS ALSO USED TO TREAT PCOS SYNDROME. ALL THAT CAN CAUSE DIABETES I AGREE IT SHOULDN'T BE USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE BUT.........BUT IT IS WIDELY USED FOR MORE THEN JUST DIABETES
I've been on 850mg 2X a day for 2 months....for IR.  I finally have some energy, and the ability to curb my appetite.  I've lost 8.5 inches between my neck and waist since Thanksgiving...(my trainer doesn't tell me the scale number, i'm phoebic still).  I think i'm probably about 170# at 5'5"....but previously i had gained steadily over 30# in 10 months, (from 152-184) while trying to lose with diet and exercise.  i wasn't ready to write it off as
"just regular menopause"....i hounded my PCP to keep testing me.

people comment that I look "less puffy", "brighter"...i no longer feel like i'm just dragging myself through the day, ready for bed at 7PM.  the initial lower GI upset still comes on with too much refined white foods....i learned the hard way that the full slice of pie/cake isn't worth it.
thanks for reading, i appreciate your info. too....Fandi

HI There,

I went to Dr. in November and had BG of 134 which my Dr. told me I was "pre-diabetic" and prescribed Met 500 mg. No changes and we had the holidays. I went to diabetes and nutrition counseling (as well as changing my lifestyle with eating and exercise) and they all said they think I have POCS syndrome and so did the GYN. They all suggested that I increase my dose to 1000mg so the Doc did. I have lost 3 lbs in 2 days since and blood glucose levels are done so I am hopeful. I was a adequate weight up until a few years ago, I just ballooned with no lifestyle changes (still workouted out and ate right, Doctors could not figure it out and it was frustrating. I've also had all the symptoms of POCS so this all makes sense!  I also want to start trying for baby soon but not until this is under control..will keep you posted on the results:)
on on week two for pcos and im so sick i cant stan to eat food at all... im hoping it helps me loss some lbs... but that is not my main focus, im ttc and it hasnt been working... although im 5' 10" and 205 lbs.... so being a few lbs lighter couldnt heart!

how long will i be sick for?

and does what you eat make a diff. on how sick you get!

it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to the drug....the doctor will usually start you at 1/2 dose for a month then twice a day (unless you have the extended release tab).

I still have some lower GI upset, but it's a better trade-off for the previous way I felt.
thank you
Very cool forum.  I think it is great that everybody is sharing their experiences.  Mine have been just fantastic. I am a type II non insulin dependent diabetic male, age 49.

The negative: Yes, it does cause gastric distress in various forms, but if your doctor know what he is doing he will start you off on a very low dose and build it up over months.  And months is what it takes for the effects to go away.

The positive:  There can only be a major positive if you use Metformin in conjunction with regular exercise. The mechanisms of Metformin are varied, but one is that it allows your muscles to better utilize the carbs that you eat.  It combats insulin resistance.  Insulin's major role is to convert sugar into fat and then keep that fat from being used as energy.  Sad but true.  The more insulin (which occurs with insulin resistance) the better your body makes and stores fat.  Metformin short circuits to some degree insulin's negative role. Metformin also reduces lipids (cholesterol) and so has very positive effects to preventing heart disease and reducing blood pressure.  Google any of these terms in relation to Metformin and you will see.

If you are a person who has tried to lose weight though calorie control and exercise, but have failed, you should try Metformin.  Or if you have metabolic syndrome (stomach fat, high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol) you should as well. Start of with low dosages (the extended release pills with meals are best to start with).  Lastly, I can not stress enough that Metformin needs to be combined with regular exercise to produce any noticeable benefit.

I went from 245 to 200 in about 6 months and have kept it off for 2 years.  Exercise 5-6 times per week, at least 45 minutes has been the cornerstone of my life.  It has to be if you are a diabetic and don't want to start losing limbs.  And, my diet is not perfect, good during the week (no booze), weak on weekends (ice cream).
I stumbled on this and have found it really insightful. I have had a hellacious past year that has led to me having surgery to remove large cysts from my ovaries and excessive scar tissue in my lower abdomen (caused by 2 csections 16 months apart 6-7 years ago) AND being diagnosed with PCOS.  My doc said a lot of patients do lose weight from Metformin and it really benefits negative traits of PCOS.  I am on it and now adjusted to taking 3 tabs/1500 mg per day.  BUT my question is... has anyone heard of complications from actually having hypoglycemia or very low blood glucose levels and taking this med?  This is what is going on with me and so much of what I've read indicates the metformin is for hyper- or diabetic patients..... Also I have experienced a lot of digestive/ gastro problems in the last year or so and this hasn't changed because of the metformin, but my appetite is lessened, my energy is slightly elevated, and so far I seem to be a little more regular as a female.  
It's great to read these shared reports and see how it's working for others. I'm curious of other gals with PCOS have excess weight really cenetered in the abdomin (abdomen) that is stubborn? Weight loss is a big goal for me too and I'm hoping the the metformin and the mild changes in diet and exercise will help me shed some extra baggage!
I was recently diagnosed as "pre" PCOS, and my inablity to lose weight over the last few years led the doctor to the conclusion that I'm insulin resistant, too. I've just been started on metformin 500 mg/day, increasing the dose by 500 mg leveling off at the 4th week at 2000 mg/day.  

Did anyone notice unusually high cholesterol as the result of PCOS and/or insulin resistance (without the metformin)? Did anyone who had high cholesterol notice a drop after taking metformin?

Has anyone else been started on a dose increment plan like the one I mentioned above? My doctor suggested it could take a few months before the weight loss kicked in. Are others finding this to be the case, or is it almost immediately weight loss? I've had such a long and frustrating battle to lose these pounds-nutritionists, personal trainers, documenting every bite and every bit of activity...I just want all my hard work of diet and exercise to finally pay off, and hope that metformin will sort out my physiological barriers to that.
Great information for me. I have been trying very hard to loose weight. I am Type II Diabetic for 8 years with A1c average of 5.9 due to exercise and diet. I really watch carbs and I walk on my treadmill an hour a day at least 4 days a week and work out with a trainer once a week and since winter hit I have been snow shoeing 4 times.. I can't loose a pound if my life depended on it. I decided to ask my DR for help...he put me on 500 mg of Metformin 2x per day...today was day 1. Reading your posts gives me hope. I am looking forward to the next month I don't want to get too excited but I have hope. thanks for all the information.
I am astounded reading these comments because I have watched my man dropping pounds without any dietary or exercising changes and I had no idea the met was the cause.  He is diabetic and takes1000 mg at breakfast and 500mg at supper.  He didn't have any weight to lose and I was actually getting worried that he was beginning to look quite gaunt.  We estimate he lost 30 - 35 pounds in about 10 weeks, and has kept it off.  Hmmm - I am the one that needs help losing about 20 pounds - can't imagine taking this drug for weight loss though - its really hard on his stomach.
Hi. My girlfriend has had a weight problem all her life, and she has tried everything - diet, exercise - and nothing has worked thus far. We finally talked to her doctor about it, and found that after some blood testing that she had high insulin and was pre-diabetic. Her doctor put her on 500mg of metformin twice daily, and she has been taking it with lunch and dinner each night. She has completely cut out all artificially sugars and we are both dieting with low calories and she recently joined weight watchers.

We recently went back after her being on the pill for a month to find that she actually gained 10 pounds. She is becoming very discouraged, and we looked online to find that there is a "rapid weight gain" side effect to the drug. Has anyone experienced this? I know with other drugs it is possible to have the anti-effect of the drug and other side effects for the first few months of being on the drug (such as birth control), but none of that seems to be reported.

With weight loss, did you all notice an immediate result or did it take some time? One thing we saw as a possibility is that she has been taking the pill either as she eats or shortly after, so we are going to try taking it the 15 minutes before food as many people have suggested.

Anything else to help? We would really appreciate all helpful replies...
@helpinghand:

My doctor started me on it a few days ago on a low dose of 500 mg daily ramping up to 2000 mg daily after four weeks. She told me I might not see weight loss results in the first couple months. I'll come back here and post my results. Good luck to your gf...after 3 years of not understanding why dieting and exercise was not working, I can COMPLETELY feel her frustration.
i have been on this for 3 weeks and i have not changes want im eating... and i have lost 15 lbs..... i didnt know that loses of lbs was a side effect that  the drug had when i started but im ok with it... hopefully it helps with my pcos as well!

by the way i love this site it really helps....

anna
What dosage are you on, Anna?
I've been on 850mg of glucophage (metformin) since the 2nd week of November.  i prev. reported 8.5 inches lost between my neck and waist.

I've also lost another 3 inches in my waist this month.  this encourages me to step up the exercise every morning which helps tremendously in keeping my levels more even all day.  I also weight train 2X a week, but I finally feel as though I am making progress!  with menopause kicking in I thought it would never happen, my abdominal *girth* is definitely shrinking, not expanding.

but i'm still having "scale-fear"....hopefully next month.
Im glad I found this site, just reading a lot of the posts have answerd some of my questions as I was diagnosed with PCOS on the 5th. My doctor put me on Metformin with 500mg, half a pill at breakfast and half at dinner for the first month.

Im only 19yrs old so this is all very very new to me, when I first took the pill I had a change in my hearing, has anyone else had that?

It seems to me that the people with PCOS have been able to lose more weight than the people with diabetes.
I personally need to lose a significant amount of weight, and I have been changing the way I eat and I already feel better.

It's finaly nice to get some answers after struggling with a weight factor and depression because of it my entire life.

*Erica*
im on 500gm every 8 hours...  and there was not biulding up to it... i had to just jump in .....

i was very hard... i havent lost as much this week because i can eat more with ouit gitting sick.....

i only lost 2 lbs this week!

what are you on ?

anna
fandi

dont have scale fear... i was 220 lbs and yes i was heavy but i was still sexy... there really in no reason to be a size 6 and if you lost that many in. you have lost alos alot of lbs.... just get on the scale... and be happy....

anna

plus girl that or size 6 cant have a great rack.....

every one has thing that they dont like about them self.....
My doctor just started me on Metformin 500mg 2x daily......it is to help control my sugar levels and to help me lose weight......I am 5ft 11in and weight 250lbs......the doctor wants me down to 200lbs and so do I......I was happy at 200lbs and now I am getting depressed at 250lbs......it was nice to read about others on here and hope to stay in contact on here with you all......if anyone has yahoo messenger, please feel free to add me......tracylynn71
The first week I was on 500 mg once/day. Now I am on 1000 mg once/day, next week 1500, and finally topping out at 2000 mg once/day and maintaining it. It bothers my stomach a bit, but I feel like easing into the dosage has helped. I find that when I eat too much it's very uncomfortable. I've been following weightwatchers while I do this, eating foods low on the glycemic index (for the PCOS) and choosing cholesterol-friendly foods (since the PCOS has elevated the my level of bad cholesterol). I've lost about 4.5 lbs in this first week on the 500 mg. I'm really hoping that now that I'm on a higher dose it will help me drop a few more pounds, but since losing weight has been so damn hard these past 3 years, I'll also be happy w/ a 2 lb/week loss.

I'm at almost my heaviest: 5'9" 261 lbs. The insulin resistance has really helped pack it on and keep it on.  Has anyone else's doctor put them on the "GI Diet"? I've been strictly advised to stay away from sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta, white bread...limiting my whole grains but choosing high fibre foods...even taking fibre supplements. Also, has anyone w/ PCOS noticed a tendency toward frequent yeast infections?
I have fibroid tumors and I believe the fibroids grow due to some of the same factors contributing to PCOS which in turn contributes to weight gain.  If anyone has data on this possible relationship - please do share.   As of today -2/13/09 I am on MET.  I am 5'4" and I weighed 186 lbs.  I need to get down to 150.  36lbs!!!  For me, that achievement feels impossible.   I am taking 1k mg MET twice a day and will begin a 3 day a week 1hr a day work out plan, and am TRYING to change my diet.  I will keep you all posted on the good, the bad, and the ugly.  LOL.  
Has anyone ever used metformin to battle weight gain associated with antidepressants?
I am on metformin, and I lost about 5 pounds in 6 weeks.  Hey, it's slow, but it's not the gaining I was doing.  I'm on metformin for diabetes but also Lyrica for my joint pain.  Lyrica makes me gain weight, so maybe I'd lose more weight if I wasn't on Lyrica?  I don't know, but Lyrica also makes my joints not hurt really bad, and not dealing with a daily pain is worth it.  So slow weight loss, changing diet, trying to add exercise, etc.  Slow weight loss is at least weight loss.  *sigh*

Oh, and the one time I lost over 19 pounds in a week...in a day actually ......  When I gave birth I think I dropped a good 20 pounds in a day... ha ha ha.... Yeah, only time when dropping weight that fast is healthy.  *grin*
I needed a good laugh! thank you! Yeah I remember when I loss my weight like that after having my boys....lol

Predisposing Factors to Yeast Infections

Yeast feeds on glucose, (the body’s form of sugar), so anything that increases your blood sugar or changes the hormonal balance that regulates blood sugar can help yeast to grow out of control.

Fibroids are completely related to PCOS.  What some people don't understand is that excess insulin in your blood stream creates hormonal inbalances that can lead to cysts, fibroids, infertility, and more.  
im starting 500 2x a day tomorrow i shore help i have good results i am currently 5'5 and 196 oh my
god i cant believe i told my weight  i will check in with u all next week and let u know how i did
wish me luck hopefully 10pds  im going on vacation in june   cabo st lucos i want to lose at least
40pds  by than  i know i can do it
what did you get put on Met for? Was just wondering!
this is my first time in this forum, and like the others, i've found it very helpful. i was diagnosed with pcos and insulin resistance just this past tuesday and was put on metformin 500mg 2x a day. my doctor actually told me back in early dec 07 that i was probably ir and have pcos, but did not actually give me the meds until after all the blood tests and results were done. without the meds, i started doing the ir diet, and minimal exercise, and i lost 5 lbs from dec 21 to feb 19. Since I've taken meformin, and still eating the same ir diet with minimal exercise, i've lost 1 lb a day! the only side effect i have is diarrhea, which only happens midafternoon (strange)....after going about three times, its done, and i'm okay for the rest of the day.

sorry for the long winding story, but in summary, without metformin, i lost 5 lbs in 1 month. with metformin, i lost 5 lbs in  5 day! (eating the same diet and doing the same exercise)
Oh the nausea!!!!!!!! I've been on the full dose of metformin for the last week (2000 mg daily). Despite taking the medicine before eating at night (7:00 pm),  I experience nausea for a few hours every day after breakfast. It doesn't matter what I eat, how much..nothing. How long will this last?
I have not had the nausea or the diarrhea.....I have been on Met for 17 days now....I have yet weighed myself.....I plan on the 3rd week of being on it.....my doctor is about 25 min away and I want to weigh on the same scale that I did at the doctors office so it will be more accurate than the home scales....lol. I can say that I feel sooooo much better being on Met.....
You're lucky you don't have the diarrhea....we're both on the same dosage, I think....500mg 2x a day. If you don't mind my asking, when do you drink yours? Do you take one in the morning, and one at night? Also, do you take it before eating, while eating, or after eating....sorry if its too much detail, I'm trying to figure out the best time and way to take it. I take my first one in the morning, at around 9:00am and take it right after I eat breakfast, and then the second one at night, approx between 6:30 - 8pm, right after I eat dinner. With this sched, the only time I get diarrhea is between 1-3pm. Like clockwork....so now I know that I need to be near a restroom between 1-3, everyday!
I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts here today.  The past six or seven years, I have had consistent gradual weight gain.  About five to seven lbs. per year.  The past year, I am really feeling the effects of the increased weight.  I tire easily, my joints hurt, my cholesterol has increased, being on the high side of normal at 190. The topper was having a “fasting glucose test” where my blood sugar was 101.  Well needless to say, 101 is just so marginal as is my cholesterol.  My doctor berated me and then she threatened to give me “diabetic meds” and even a cholesterol reducer. She told me to loose weight.  

I came home disheartened with my tail between my legs.   I am a health care worker myself so I know that all medications carry a price.  I started South Beach diet.  I had no weight loss.  I felt more tired and discouraged.  Well, it has been a year since then.

I now am seeing a new doctor, or rather a nurse practitioner.  She reviewed my lab values from one year previous and suggested taking Metformin. She insisted I get a glucometer to test my blood glucose’s.    I did just that.  But, after taking my glucose 2-3 times per day, I was consistently between 69 and 125.  I felt that those blood glucose ranges were not high enough ranges to be treated with a type 11 diabetic medication. So, I did not fill the prescription.

I couple of weeks ago, I visited an old friend of mine.  I stayed with her for a week in Florida.  She has been taking Metformin and lost 20 pounds.  So, I began trying to research Metformin for weight loss.  

Needless to say, I have decided to do a dry run of taking Metformin for the main purpose of weight loss.  I’m just a couple of days out.  I have experienced a little nausea.  But, hey it is a small price to pay.  Being over-weight has a humungous price to pay, don’t you think?

I am taking 850 mg. Two times per day.  So, we’ll see.
Yes we are on the same dosage....I take mine before I eat, about the same times you take yours......about 9am (sometimes just with a big glass of milk, when I am in a hurry, lol) and whenever I get supper ready in the evening....the first week i was sick at my tummy but I was taking it during eating.....so now I been taking it 5 or 10 minutes before I eat and it hasnt given me an effects as of yet. How long you been on it if I may ask?
I started taking my first dose last Tuesday evening.....I'm going to try to take it before I eat.....I'm trying to experiment and get the "best" side-effect free timing.

Thanks!
First off, let me thank you all for your comments.  My doctor has prescribed metFORMIN to help me lose weight.  I have read all that everyone has posted and I have not seen anyone with my initial issue.  
Back in Nov. 2004 I was diagnosed with "Cushing's Disease".  I won't go into what it is....look it up, but I will say it has a lot of the same symptoms a PCOS, which I was tested for back in 2000.  My test came up negative for PCOS.  I had surgery to remove a tumor (the size of a dime) from my pituitary in Dec 2004, only for it to return and have the same surgery Oct 2005.  It returned and my doctor suggested radiation which I had in Aug 2006.  So far it has been a success, but I still have a few residuals from the "Cushing's"....hair growth in places I do not wish, and the saddest....the weight, mainly in my belly!  
Okay, long story short, I THANK GOD I AM IN THE NAVY AND AT A VERY SUPPORTIVE COMMAND!  
Since all of the above had happened, my endo doc had signed off on me being fit for full duty and prescribed me metFORMIN.  I didn't want to try it b/c my cousin has taken it for the PCOS she was diagnosed with, and she said she was SICK, and it has not subsided, but one day I was watching my usual on Sat/Sun, Discovery Health, and something came on one of the health corners about kids taking meds for depression and such, but were gaining weight...so doctors tried the kids on metFORMIN.  The 13 year old girl they spoke with lost 25 lbs and seemed to be very happy.  I decided to take my met.  Problem is I was scheduled to have surgery on my foot on Feb 21, so I decided to start after I was off my pain meds, as not to mix meds.  
So, I'm off the pain meds as of yesterday.  Today, I plan to start my met as prescribed by my endo doc with the 500mg at dinner.  I will not be able to workout due to my foot.  I will do some sit down exercises...I guess, but I will definitely change my diet.  I will keep you ALL posted on how I’m doing.  I know I will probably do better if I could work out, but the bottom line is I need to get this weight off.  I am 5'8 1/2 208lbs...The NAVY says I have to be 5'8 170lbs.  Or BCA of 33%, neither of which I am able to do, due to all of my weight being in my belly.  I workout and eat pretty decent.  In the beginning of it all I tipped the scales at 223lbs.  The lowest I have actually maintained has been 202lbs.  I would love to be 165lbs.  After reading all of your posts, I have faith/hope that I will get to my goal weight for my health first and foremost and second my NAVY career!  Again, I'll keep you all posted!
P.S. Sorry so long.....I felt I had a lot to get out with my story being a little different.  ;-)
Welcome aboard! And thanks for adding me to your messenger! People on here are great to talk with......hope to talk to you soon!
so i wetn on a trip...  so i stoped taking the met. so i could eat and enjoy my trip so i will be restarting tis week i hope i dont get as sick as i did the 1st time....lol.

So what happens if I'm taking metformin and I'm still eating some simple carbs and sugar? I've been trying desperately to keep sugar out, limited my carbs to 1 serving of whole grains, but I a few times/week I still have white rice. If I'm IR and I'm not eating according to the IR diet, does it negate the effects of Metformin?
ok - so i've just started met - the dr. says i should only take half of a 500 mg pill per day - will this do anything - she thinks i may have pcos - how do you diagnose this?  help - any info for a rookie?

I just started metformin for weightloss and was wondering what to eat or not eat.  I was told no pasta, rice, simple sugars, sweets.  That's all the info I was given.  Help.
I am Type II Diabetic (as of 2-8-08) and that is why I am on Met......going and trying to weigh in tomorrow, wish me luck........on Met 500mg 2xs daily for 3 weeks as of yesterday.......
Annie, I was told the same thing. I can do w/o the rice, the past, most breads, but I have a hard time parting w/ sugar completely. I mean...I'm getting mixed messages. Eat low on the glycemic index, yet "Snickers" is moderate while a rice cake is through the roof. Snickers for dinner!! I wish that were the case...I am trying to keep w/in my WeightWatchers points range and keep away from the above-mentioned items. I just wonder if I have any wiggle room.
so no weight loss when i went to weigh in on friday. :-( the nurses told me to hang in there that it could take a few months before results....I asked them to talk to the dr monday (he wasnt in on friday) about uping my dosage and I'm thinking about seeing about a water pill too. I am so frustrated.....changed my diet ALOT!!! and NO results! I know I need to be patient and I will......just wanted to check in with all of you....ttyl
I lost a few pounds initially (recent weight gain), but my doctor had warned me it could take a few months to kick in, too. Don't give up, and keep up the healthy lifestyle. When the meds do kick it, it will be that much easier.
Okay so I am on my 5th pill today and  still not feeling very well. It feels like my stomach is swimming.  Anyone experience this?  How much longer before I am not feeling like this?
i felt that way for the 1st 3 weeks... it will get better... although still if i take my pills to soon i will get sick.. sorry.. but it has been a great drug for me im now cutting all sugers out of my diet...

i still dont feel good... im very sleepy all the time and a little craby some times to... i also cry really easy

but my pcos is getting better!

I have lost 15lbs  since  taking metaformin, correctly, lol. Wih a change of diet too. I got  a little  nervous since  my weight  had not changed  in  2 years. My  doctor  changed  me  to Glucovance  , which had me  on  edge,  I felt I could  run  all  day.  My BS  was  77 and  feeling very  anxious.  With  small  in between  meals,  I feel better. My weight loss  was from  from Mid  January to  mid  February.  I guess  about  2-3  lbs  per week.  Metaformin does  take  awhile  to  adjust  but its been a  big help.
First of all, I'd like to say thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences with Metformin.  Your comments and insight is so helpful and comforting.

I just started Metformin 3 days ago.  At first I was on 500 mg. twice per day, now it's upped to 750 twice per day.  The side effects I've experience are stomach upset (in the form of loose bowels) and shakiness along with fatigue.  I've been lightheaded several times and "felt" as if I needed to eat something with sugar. Anyone else feel faint?  I'm hopeful that these things will disappear over time.  I will not give up.  At this point I'm desperate for something that works.  

My doctor prescribed Metformin for me because of insulin resistance.  I am not Diabetic.  I can't believe weight gain could ever happen to me.  I've been very thin all my life till menopause reared it's ugly head.  Now I'm very overweight and most of the weight I carry in my abdomen.  I've tried diets with no success.  The weight wouldn't budge.  My former 23 1/2 inch waist has ballooned to a number I can't even contemplate.

Anyway, thanks for listening.  Please add my name to any lists.  I'll be checking in daily.  

Thanks again for all the advice and personal stories.  Best of luck and best of health to all!

I had been skinning all my life but I had a bad year of depressions and anxiety and the pills made me blow up like a boloon. I have now gotten off them and was having trouble losing the weight so I went to a spealist. After tons and tons of test she put me Metformin 500mg 3 times a day before meals, with a low carb diet. And yes the first 2 weeks where hell while my body ajusted to the sugar coming out of my system. I had bad stomach pain and instant runs to the bathroom. But after that settle down it has been great I don't eat as  much at dinner I don't have little cravings all the time, my calories are under 2000 a day. I do exercise with my low carb diet but I don't know if I have lost weigh yet until I got see th spealist as I don't have a scale. Good luck to all that are sticking with it! But make sure you stick to that low carb diet because even I notiecd that my stomach cramps and diharra came back when I had a muffin one day (Yikes)
I have noticed with my daughter if she eats something she shouldn't she gets the runs and sometimes even vomits.............she has been on met 500 twice a day since mid nov. and is doing really well for only being 7 yrs. old 15 pound are off hooray!!!!!!!
I am new here and I have been reading the forums. I just started taking my MET on Saturday. I take 500mg 2 times a day. So far I have not experienced any side affects. My stomach does feel like it is boiling or moving sometimes but that is about it. I am working on staying away from the sugar and bread. It is hard. I do notice that I dont have any appetite. I am try to eat something. Hopefully I will lose about 10 lbs between now and the 17th for my trip. I do have PCOS and insulin resistance. I am one of the lucky ones that had a baby with no treatment so hopefully my case is mild. Anyways I will let you all know what happens as the week progresses. I am not big on scales but I do go by how my clothes fit.

Toria
i have been on met for about 1 an a half months. have not had any weight loss. i take 850mg twice aday.i am taking it for weight loss only.please write with some help!
My doctor said I might not expect to see weight loss for a few months.
Hello!

I just started taking meformin on 3-9-08.  I have taken all the blood tests and both my PC and GYN docs have both stressed that I am probably IR and have PCOS - I meet with my PC on 3-37 to find out the diagnosis .  I have to also have an ultrasound on the ovaries.  Anyway, I am 5'1 and weigh 187, have hypothyroidism (under control) and keep gainging weight despite mindful diet and exercise.  I have hope after reading everyone's blog on metformin.  I'm in the Navy Reserve and have 2 more years until I can retire and my weight is really not helping me out.  My max weight for the Navy is 145lb and must lose approx 40lbs.  I hope Metformin helps me to lose the weight.  This is only day 2 on metformin so I will let you all know how I am doing after a week.  Thank you all for being there as support buddies!!!

MSDOOLITTLE15
I have started taking MET 15 min.before meals.I have no problems so far with my stomach.I take a lot of other meds,for depression and have put on 50 lb.I am 5'3 and 200lbs.I wish they would figure out that being fat does not help depression.So more than anything I hope the METFORIM works!
I recently watched the elderly doctor speak of metformin on Fox.
He said what it was used for (diabetes) but said it was now used in the aid of weight loss, and to ask your doctor about it.

I did exactly that and my doctor refused to prescribe it. "Never heard of it used for that" he said. Anyway with all the comments i have been reading online in other forums also it just made me more determined, and so i ordered them online through a U.S company and will arrive from mexico in about 14 days.

I am thrilled to hear of the results here and hope it will work for me. Keep you posted.
I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 4 years ago, when I was 18. About 2 years ago I used Metformin, and joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs very quickly. Unfortunately, I stopped dieting and taking the medicine because it was too hard to balance classes at college with the bowel problems and now I am at my heaviest weight. I feel horrible! I have started working out and dieting again but I know that I need Metformin to battle my insulin issues. Does anyone know of another medicine I could use with the Metformin to counter act the diarreah (diarrhea)?
Did you take the extended release version of Metformin before? Why not try it again, being sure to take it w/ your biggest meal. I occasionally take anti-diarreal. I find my stomach is ok if I stay off the "white" stuff: rice, bread, sugar, etc.
I'm not sure if I was taking the extended release version of Metformin. I started it off slowly, only 1 pill each day, working my way up to two with breakfast and then 2 with dinner. When I told my doctor that it was upsetting my stomach we cut it down to 2 pills each day and that still was hurting my stomach. I know that I wasn't too good about watching my carbs while on Metformin, so maybe this time around that's what I should do. I am very scared to start back on the Metformin although I know that I need it....
My experience has been that the stomach issues lessen, but I had to get off the sugar and carbs. If I eat 3 pieces of pizza? I pay.  If I eat a handful of jelly beans? I pay. If you are Insulin Resistant, you would seemingly need the metormin. It's a cycle: gotta lose the weigh to improve the insulin resistance. Can't lose the weight w/o a little bit of help. Good luck!
I have PCOS with insulin intolerance and my doctor put me on Metformin about 2 1/2 weeks ago. So far I have lost 12 pounds. But I didn't go on the drug to lose weight, I went on it to manage my PCOS and regulate my period, which contrary to some posters comments here, my doctor says it will. My first week I had tons of GI problems, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea etc. I take 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I'm supposed to increase my dose to 1500mg next week. I'm kind of scared to. But I have noticed that if I keep my carbs low and my portions small, I have much fewer issues with the drug. A large quantity of ANYTHING will make me ill, particularly vegetables. That one surprised me. Sugar will give you nausea if eaten in large amounts. High carb foods like pizza and spaghetti will run right through you and will be embarrassing if you aren't close to a private bathroom. After eating, try not to be around any chemical or harsh smells, this will induce vomiting. (learned this one the hard way) But things are settling down, my body is getting used to the drug and the smaller portions of food. An Atkins style diet can help some people on the drug but is unnecessary if you monitor portions. Think of a normal sized plate filled with food. Take away about 2/3 of the food and that 1/3 left over should be about the size of your meal. At least, this is how it's been working for me. As the scale of the symptoms are decreasing, I find I'm feeling really good. I think you should give Metformin another try but hopefully your doctor will ease you into it a little more gradually.
If you don't have insulin resistance, PCOS, metabolic syndrome, diabetes or any other condition that this drug is generally prescribed for, taking it my pose a danger. If you insist on taking it anyway, may I suggest you invest in a glucose monitor and please don't skip meals. Hypoglycemic shock is not fun.
i am so happy i found this board!!!  i have recently discovered i have PCOS, high insulin resistance (very borderline diabetic) and an under active thyroid. i was blowing up like a balloon with no change in diet or exercise. i was always chubby but i had gotten just plain fat, and my skin was breaking out (i am a licensed skin care therapist for a profession! - not good!). also i hadn't had a period in five months.

my endocrinologist did a bunch of tests and ended up putting me on metformin. (she also put me on Yaz, which is a birth control that is apparently perfect for people with PCOS). i took the first dose of met four days ago. i am starting very slowly and working my way up to a full dosage os 2000mg. right now i am taking 500 mgs with breakfast (for 7 days), then i will add a 500mg to dinner (7 days), then i will add another 500 mg to breakfast (7 days), and then another to dinner so i will eventually be taking 4 a day after a month.  i am hoping this medicine will help me start ovulating and give me a regular monthly period, and help me lose weight. the doctor prescribed a diet of all whole wheat, white chicken and fish, vegetables, fruits, low carbs and low to no sugar and of course exercise.

to be honest with you i have cut back on some white bread products and sugar, but haven't been following it perfectly. i wanted to see how my body reacted to the metformin first because she made me afraid i would have very bad stomach side effects. i haven't had any side effects except that i have lost 18 pounds in the 4 days i have been taking it. hopefully the weight loss will continue (maybe not so fast though) and i will begin to ovulate and have periods.

tell me what you guys think. i am going back in 6 weeks for more blood work to test my body's progress.  be well!

xoxo
k
It's been interesting reading all of your comments and questions.  I have been taking Metformin for a week now and have already lost 4 pounds myself.  When I was initially diagnosed with diabetis, the fam. practitioner put me on Actos.  This medication led to Hypoglycemia shock and a 20 lb. rapid weight gain.  I have fired my fam. practioner since and I'm now seeing an endocrinologist.  She made the right diagnosis of insulin resistance and has me on the right medication.  I had no idea a side effect would be weight-loss.  I find it preplexing that quite a few of you are only taking this drug for weight-loss purposes.  If you have been diagnosed with an excessive amount of insulin in your body, then Met. is right for you.  But to abuse this drug for weight loss purposes..... Have any of you considered the other side effects like kidney failure, heart attack, hypoglycimia shock/coma or even death?  It is important to keep in mind this is not a weight-loss miracle pill.  It is still a drug that should be closely monitored by your endoc. and will cause some serious and irreversible side-effects (other than the occasional diarreah (diarrhea)).    
Thanks for the info!! For the past two weeks I have been really good about watching my sugars. I try not to eat anything with sugar or if I do it's a very small amount. It's really hard to be only 22 and living at school with friends who don't know/understand PCOS so it's tough to try to watch what I eat when I see everyone else eating whatever they want, especially in a college setting. But anyway, I'm also working out but haven't lost any weight. I haven't started the Metformin because I'm still worried about the stomach problems like I had before, but I think I'm going to start back on it next weekend when I'm home for Easter.
I don't think most people are on this board are just taking metformin as a weight loss drug. I've only seen one comment recently indicating as much. I believe that most us that are insulin resistant are also overweight (though not all), and because of the IR we haven't been able to drop the pounds.

I have not heard that Metformin was being prescribed for weight loss until recently. A bit alarming, but it is doctor prescribed.
just an update, i feel really silly and this is quite embarrassing but i found out my digital scale was actually broken and i didn't lose any weight at all. i'm exactly where i started. :(
If you read my posting, you will notice I stated "quite a few".  Quite a few is not synonymous   with "most people".  After further research through other Metformin panel discussions, I have found that weight-loss is the number one reason why this drug is freely requested.  Sadly enough there are family practitioners out there that are prescribing this drug if their patient desires to loose a large amount of weight without any other type of intervention.  One pin ***** after breakfast or lunch does not give the necessary results to warrant a diagnosis of Diabetes.  Those of you who have gone through the fastings and have had your blood drawn every hour by the hour know what I am referring to.  My point is this:  we take this drug in order for our bodies to do what they need to do with all the insulin that we are producing.  Weight loss just happens to be a welcoming side effect.  Other side effects that are not physically obvious are kidney damage, liver damage, and possible heart attack to name a few.  If this drug is prescribed to someone on the assumption that they could be a diabetic, this person is in risk for diabetic seizures (low blood sugar), coma, and even death.  It is troubling to me that a doctor would prescribe such a drug to a child who is already in high risk for irreversible internal damage.  Anyhow, this posting is not meant to be offensive or judgmental to those desiring an alternative method to weight-loss such as the use of this product.  My intention is to raise an awareness that "all that glitters is not gold".  What I would like to see more of in this forum is discussions in: the daily effects of this product in sugar levels.  (I'd like to know if it's causing any spikes one way or the other.)  The amount of time it takes to level out the insulin levels in individuals over thirty.  I'd like to know if anyone is wheening off of this product and what adverse reaction this is causing if any.  It would be interesting to see if anyone out there is experiencing signs of dehydration that is often accompanied by ongoing vomiting and diarrhea.  I would like to know if anyone is also loosing the desire to eat three square meals a day.  I could easily go for 6 waking hours without any food now that I'm on this drug.  I just don't have the desire to eat anymore, hence the rapid weight-loss.        
I started Metformin over a month ago. With careful diet and exercise I have lost about 8 pounds. I'm am still not below the "ceiling"-that is to say, my body seems to stall at 255 lbs and no matter what I've done in the past this is where the weight loss stops. I'm afraid to say that the Metformin is working to allow normal weight loss until I do drop below that 255. When I read about people who lose 18 pounds in 4 days I'm a bit envious. Because I have tried and failed to lose weight so many times in the past few years, I'm still afraid to get my hopes up. My doctor warned me it might take a few months for the effects to kick in. Has anyone on the board found that it took a few months on Metformin before they noticed that weight loss was easier/reasonable?
"If you read my posting, you will notice I stated "quite a few".  Quite a few is not synonymous   with "most people"."

Quite a few people are what? Quite a few people on this board are taking it simply to lose weight (and not because they are IR)? I saw one comment (not quite a few) recently inquiring into taking Metformin for weight loss that did not indicate IR as the cause for his/her weight problems (on this forum-I'm not referring to other related forums). I can't speak for all or any of the overweight IR people on this board, but I do need to lose weight in order to control the IR as well as prevent other weight-related illnesses, so yes, I am taking Metformin to help facilitate weight loss that will, in turn, control my IR and put me in a healthy weight range. Four years of carefully moderating my food and diet w/ no result have brought me here. Metformin isn't a short cut, IMHO. It's simply the physiological help that I need in order to get this under control.

If there are people out there taking metformin to lose weight, like all medicine there are negative side effects. If doctors have made it a habit to prescribe metformin for weight loss, I would assume that's because the negative side effects outweight the health concerns tied to obesity.  Since this forum is called "Metformin and Weight" the comments here seem very much appropriate. I would suggest starting a new thread called: the daily effects of this product in sugar levels.
In response to what you had asked about Metformin taking a couple months to really drop the lbs....

Two years ago when I was on Metformin and Weight Watchers it took months to drop the lbs. One week it would be 2 lbs and other weeks it was 6 lbs. It definately takes time and I think that because every body is different and will react differently to the drug you shouldn't be discouraged. You will loose the weight!!
I think that the initial weight loss results we are seeing in most people here, including myself, is directly related to loss of appetite. And because high carb foods can lead to... *ahem*... problems, you naturally start avoiding them. If you have already been doing this, the weight loss will probably not occur right away. The secondary weight loss, i.e. the insulin related weight loss, seems to start taking place a couple of months down the road. This is all just speculative on my part but from posts I've read and elsewhere, that seems to be the case.
Well, four days seemed pretty scary to lose 18 pounds. I was actually going to recommend you see a doctor because that's dangerous. You shouldn't feel discouraged, you've barely given the drug enough time to truly see any results yet. The bigger question is how you are feeling, how are your sugar and energy levels. Are you scaling back portions? Remember that the reason your doctor probably put you on the drug is better health. I'd be interested in hearing about your progress in a couple of weeks.
I have definitely lost the desire to eat three square meals a day but the one time I skipped my blood sugar dropped so low that my diabetic friend pulled out her meter then forced some OJ down my throat. I force myself to eat a little something now. The consequences of skipping are worse than GI troubles.
Metformin makes me so nauseated, I can hardly function.  Any suggestions?
Unfortunately, it's a waiting game. I've finally gotten over the nausea and I'm a month into it. My doctor says some people never get over it and need to be taken off. It can take up to 3 months for some people to start seeing relief from the side effects. :( I find if I eat less, I don't get as sick.
I just started taking metformin on March 9th and have only lost approx 1 to 2.5 pounds.  Before metformin I was fluctuating between 188 and 186.  For the past few days I have been staying at 185.5.  I feel a little discouraged reading some of the responses here because I REALLY need to lose 50 pounds.  I decided this week (only) to forgive myself for not exercising AT ALL.  I need this week to re-group and begin next week with a rejuvinating outlook!  I still feel a little nausea and I want to get myself adjusted to this medication.  I will hold the faith that with my exercise and  mindful diet the weight will come off with the help of this medication.  

I love that we have this forum to relate to other people  - THANK YOU ALL!

MSDOOLITTLE
I don't want miracles from Metformin, but I would like my body to be able to once again lose 1 1/2-2 lbs/week w/ proper exercise and regulated food intake. My doctor did warn me to wait a few months before I saw results. When people say that the weight loss is due to the extreme loss of appetite (and therefore reduced intake), I just don't believe so in my case. I have been unable to drop weigh for 3 years now despite exercising and dieting, so I can't really buy into the argument that the medicine causes weight loss simply because it makes me eat less.

I really do hope that the IR gets under control so that I can lose weight like a healthy person. I'm just wondering when that will happen.
Has anybody here looked into HCG for weight loss?  There are several threads here and I have a yahoogroup based on a program with an internal medicine physician in NC - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HCGdietersinnc/ - We've been having great success.  I, too, am one of those who has a hard time losing, I'm older (58), and I'm shrinking quite nicely!  I'm on metformin 1000 mg twice a day for my diabetes, and I've never had weight loss with it, have only gained until I tried this program.  It's worth a look, and might help some of you!  :-)
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and just started taking Metformin (500 mg) about 4 days ago. I have always had problems with my periods being all over the place. I got pregnant about 4 years ago with the help of provera to bring the periods on and 2 cycles of Clomid to make my ovulate. Now, my husband and i have talked about having another child and my doctor has suggested Metformin. I am overweight and have a family history of diabetes, and yes this medication does mess up your stomach the first few days. I'm sure i have lost some weight so far, but i haven't weighed in yet. Hopefully within the next few months my periods will start on my own and i can conceive naturally without the help of fertility drugs. Good luck to everyone out there. I'm very happy to see a place where we can all sure our stories
Thank you for the info, I'm going to talk to my doctor about it.
I am only on 500mg metformin for weight loss.  Will this be enough to work?  Should I take it before my biggest meal?
Hi everyone! I am new here. I have been on Met 500mg 2x a day w/meal for a week. PCOS!!!! I was at 263lbs. and now at 256. I didnt think the weight lost would occur like this. I am happy and it is good for me because my doctor said I needed to lose 10% body weight for pregnancy,so I am on my way there. The first two days of taken met made me sick as hell. I am good now. I havent changed what I eat, but I have changed my portions. "Today I will start using my treadmill again" to see what that will do for me. So thank you to all to all who have posted positively and lets help each other.

Hi I just got put on Met I take 850mg once a day at dinner. I had no real issues just in the bathroom alot. This has been two weeks and just the past two days I have had to watch what I eat to a t because I will puke and my stomach will feel like it will explode. I have to make myself eat because it has diminidhed my appitie. I have lost 9 pounds in one week. I was put on it because I have pcos and had to have one overi removed because it was a size of a mellon.

I was wondering is normal to take time to have it be better for you stomach and do you notice if you eat any extra sugar or carb you get seriously ill????
Tambee
Started Met today, my doctor has me taking 500mg 3 times a day, 1 pill with each meal.  I cut out all sugars and i'm basically following the South Beach diet.  I'm 5'3 and 158 pounds with hopes of 125.  I'm on it for PCOS I have used it in the past to get pregnant and have had luck.  I was never on long so i didnt see much weight loss.  Can anyone tell me about (just rough estimate) how soon i will see loss?  Is it 1-2 pounds a week like most diets or can i expect a good chunk fast?
I have only been on 500mg per day for 1 week.  I have lost 2.5 pounds.  Don't know if that will continue, but I'm pretty happy with that.  I have about 20-25 pounds to lose.  Good luck to you.
Thanks, its good to have an idea what to expect.  I got on the scale today and it said im down 2 already in just a day.  My guess is that i was holding on to a lot of water yesterday.  This is the first time in my life im looking forward to tomorrows weigh in :)  Good luck to you also.

I have been on metformin since August of 07, 3x500mg daily.  I experienced no side effects.  I had a weight problem at that time with a strong family history of type 1 diabetes.  I began exercising everyday 1.5 to 2 hours a day, cardio and weights.  Since then I have lost over 50 pounds and feel great.  My suggestion is don't count on metformin to be a diet aid, if it works as one for you, good deal.  Get out to the health club, take a walk, ride your bike, you'll lose weight and feel great about yourself.  I'm still 50, still have type 2 diabetes, but am proud of myself and looking great at last!
i've just started taking 1/2 of a 500 ml pill per day... my dr. is over cautious.... will this do anything regarding my weight or blood sugar levels?  Help?

Today is 1 week on 1500mg per day.  Not sure what my numbers are i wont have that tested for 90 days but im down 3 pounds.  The only food issue i have had is that those "carb smart" ice cream bars didnt go well very gasy.
Just wanted to let y'all know that I asked my weight loss doctor about metformin for weight loss, and he said that yes, it can be very successful for people without diabetes in losing weight.

So, we learn something new everyday!

Good work, y'all!
hi

did your weight loss dr. say anything about the doseage for weight loss?

hi my name is lisa i live in auckland n.z and iv bean on metaformin for about for 2 weaks i did weigh 83.6kg and just yest i had a look at how much i weigh is 80.6kg its not that much i lost but im pretty pleased as i havent cut out my eatin i love my hot chips and muchies lols. im taken this medication because i have pcos its abit of a bummer but iv got 1 son and im stil quite young 23. i hope i go back to my goal weight which is at least 65-75 kg i so wish and get my regular periods which i doubt but good luck to me and good luck to all yous that are reading my comment live life to the fullest and cheers to losing weight, ruducing pcos and diabetes holla back.

"did your weight loss dr. say anything about the doseage for weight loss?"

No, I don't remember that he did.  Sorry.
Why would anyone take metformin to lose weight! This is a drug for people with real health issues.  My suggestion is to get off you a--, eat a healthy diet and work out.  I have to take this medication to help with my type 2 diabetes.  I also have diabetic neuropathy, a very painful experience. For those of you that are on this med to lose weight, what's going to happen when you go off of it.  I'll tell you the weight is going to find you again!  Be smart.
I started taking met 500mg in the morning with breakfast (PCOS) And have noticed a difference already, and it has only been 2 days. My appetite is almost gone, I have to force myself to eat. Hopefully it will be a great medication for me. I don't eat much at all, and exercise regularly, but I just cqannot get beyond where i am at now. Good luck to all of you!
Have been on Glumetza for type 2 diabetes for about a year with a gain of 10 or so lbs. Going to change to Glucophage (metformin) because of insurance costs. Has anyone changed from glumetza to metformin and had success with weight loss?
to any of you who think those of us women with pcos should get up off our a...... you need to educate yourself on pcos first and spend less time worrying about what other people are doing to promote their own health... have a nice day...
I just wanted to give you all an update. I posted back in Jan that I just got prescibed 500 mg of day of metformin and it was not doing too much so my Dr. up'd to 1000 mg a day. 500 X 2 with dinner. I am happy to say my A1C levels are normal and my womanly friend is back on schedule (due to possible PCOS). I have lost 10 lbs but I think that is due to a combination of working out, eating right, and sugars being under control.
Hi there - I felt the same way as you before I asked my Internist that I'm going to for weight loss with HCG.  (I thought HCG was dumb, too, until I educated myself!)

He said that people without diabetes can and do use metformin for weight loss, as it works differently on them than it does those of us with diabetes.  I'm glad I asked him about it!

That's one thing I love about health care (I'm a medical transcriptionist.) - You learn something new everyday!  :-)
UPDATE!!!!!!!! Sorry that I havent been on here reading and writing posts! I was very upset the last time I was on here, I had gained weight after 2 weeks on Met 500 mg 2xs day. I went to weigh in after 2 month on met 500mg 2x day and triamt/hctz (water pill) I  LOST 9lbs... Wooo Hooo! We are hoping I keep losing about 10lbs every 2 months, losing weight slowly is the best for your body. Anyways, hope all are doing well & big WELCOME to the newbies. I will try to post more often!  Only 46 more lbs to go! ~Tracy~
welcome back - good job - i give you credit for hanging in - are you working out and following a strict diet as well?  

I FINALLY started up on the Metformin again...it's been 2 yrs! I had such a bad experience with bowel problems the last time I used it I just gave up and over thoes two years I have gained 30 lbs :(  I started taking 1 pill, 500mg, Thursday night about an hour after my dinner. I find that when I let my meal settle for a while, the pill doesn't affect my bowels. Next week I want to up it to two pills a day, but I'm trying to figure out if I can take two pills together. I am going to call my doctor and ask her but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask on here as well.
No change in exercise.....cut down on sugar ALOT.....was drinking diet pop, but now drinking more tea and water instead. Chocolate is not the same, sometimes the smell makes me sick......yeah and I was a chocolate junkie. I use the George Foreman grill when i can to cook my meats. Metformin makes me not as hungry as I was before. Warmer weather is coming.....YEAHHHHH......so I will probally lose more weight due to Summer activities with me kiddos.
Your comment:  "...Next week I want to up it to two pills a day, but I'm trying to figure out if I can take two pills together. I am going to call my doctor and ask her but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask on here as well. "

Could you take 1 pill with breakfast or lunch and the other with supper?  Might be easier on your tummy than taking 2 together.  Metformin does upset some diabetic patients' tummies, so it's not that unusual.  :-)
I was on metformin HC 500mgs 2x a day back in sept and oct. I stopped taking if because of the bowel issue (many times I did not make it to a restroom). However since then I have gained around 30lbs. I just started taking it again this morning ~ so far no side effects. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to avoid the bowel problems? I work full-time and have 2 toddlers that are very active and that seemed to be the problem before, I just wasn't near a restroom.
from what i hear and have tried - drink lots of fluids, stay away from fatty foods, take pills a while after eating... some people say taking with food is better though.... unfortunately everyone seems to react differently, all you need to do is stay home for a whole week and get rid of everyone while you experiment!!!! NOT

good luck

Carolsea:
I have tried taking one pill with each meal but because I'm a student and then a nanny during the summer I was having major stomach issues and the pills/food began ruling my life. That's why I want to take two pills at once so I can have some sort of a normal social life!! :)

Tinagordon:
I hear you with the stomach (bathroom) issues. I was the same exact way, missing classes because of it and when I was nannying, I wasn't able to be in my own bathroom, which is never fun. What I'm doing now is eating, letting it settle for an hour or two and then taking the Metformin pill. Knock on wood, but I have been doing okay bowel wise. I also have been drinking TONS of water and really watching my sugars. I realized that there was a lot of sugar in the salad dressing I was using so now I'm switching to something with way less sugar. Also, my mom started buying me sugar free cookies and they do the trick! I also eat Skinny Cow ice cream every now and then. And just incase it makes you feel better, I have also gained 30lbs since I went off Metformin, which is why I am starting up again ( that and beach weather almost here up in MA)!! So goodluck with the meds, just really watch what you eat and when you take your pill and I think you can do it!
Viewing 1-200 comments: