Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
Yesterday was pretty bad for me, however today (after reading the post last night) I seem to be doing better... LOTS of water and no sugary foods or snacks. Thanks a bunch for your advice!!!!
I have been reading the thread on Metformin and at this point I am debating on whether I should start to take this drug or not. I've been prescribed 500mg doses of Metformin to take up to 4x daily. I went to a doctor who specializes in obesity and the regimen he has put me on (diet, exercise, low carbs/sugars and metformin) is supposed to be helpful in preventing diabetes and aid in my weight loss. In a year's time I have lost 25lbs through diet and exercise however, my weight has plateaued and I can't seem to rid my body of the excess belly fat or 30-40lbs needed to be a "healthy" weight for my height. I am a 30yr. old African American woman(which already puts me at increased risk for diabetes) who is not diabetic who wants to lead a healthy life free of drugs and diseases bought on by obesity and improper diet. I have several questions and I'm wondering if any of you can shed some light... Does anyone know how long you should take this pill or is this a pill that should be taken for the rest of your life? Has anyone had any long term side effects from the use of this drug? From reading the posts it looks like this drug does help non diabetics lose weight but the side effects such as lactic acidosis (rare but does occur) prove to be 50% fatal... hmm... I don't really prefer to take pills but if this will assist me in being healthy so I don't have to be sick or on meds in my later years I'll certainly consider it. Just wondering your thoughts and opinions and sharing my hesitation for taking the pill.

Thanks!
Well I´ve been on metformine for about a month and a half, at first my stomach was upset... but right now is fine.... I´m taking 850 mg  twice daily.... I´ve insuline resistance, and I was prescribed the metformine, plus on my dad´s side some are diabetics, and seing my dad well I prefer to prevent than to have to deal with diabetes...  I´m starting to experience some sort of anorexia, because I notice that I´ve to force my self to eat, not felling hungry anymore, or with cravings, which is great because I have always been hungry and had tons of cravings, and I hope it helps me out loosing weight...  now that I´ve read all the tread I feel more relaxed becuase I now is part of the simptons some of your experiences
I started Metformin (250 mg once a day with the heaviest meal of the day) about 6 weeks ago for insulin resistance. My doctor told me that by doing regular exercise and watch my diet , I can keep medication off. Since that day I jog for 45 mins 3 times a week in the evening and do light workout for 30 mins 3 times a week in the morning. I also cut off all sugar drinks and limit my pastry consumption (I love cakes). I have lost 11 lbs and hope to lose another 5 lbs. I weight 112 lbs and stand 5 ft 11. But I'm not sure if my weight lost is due to metformin or my exercise routine.
By the way I never knew Metformin helps in weight lost until I saw this forum. Thanks :)
If you are 5ft. 11 and weigh 112 pounds, then what in the world are you worried about?  You need to gain some weight honey!!
Hi RenLi

Thanks so much for your concern, that was a typo error, it should be 5ft 1 only (approx 1.56 m).  :)

First off, thanks again for your posts.

Now an update on my experience with MET.  I am taking it for weight loss.  I started the first week 3/23/08 taking 1 500mg at bedtime.  The second week 500mg in the morning and 500mg at bed time.  The third week I started 500mg 3 times a day.  All with meals.  I try to take it before I eat, but it varies due to me not always remebering to take it before my meal.  I think I lost 8 lbs b/s I weighed 210 when I started and now I'm holding at 202.  I need to lose about 32 to 37 more lbs.  

As far as diet mine varies.  I normally have a home made fruit smoothie (fruit, 1 gogurt, water, ice & 2 tbsp of joint juice supplement) plus 1 500mg MET.  Lunch varies, but I haven't been eating bread or rice.  Also 1 500mg MET, and pretty much the same thing for dinner.

NOW.....This week I have had cravings for my favorite carbs (bread & potatoes).  So I went off my diet a little.....partly due to my cycle coming next week.  I had really cut alot of the sugar out.

I have been working out.

Side affects......can't say I have had any.  I wish I did have loose bowels.  I actually feel kind of constipated.  I take BCP, Calcuim and Centrum Silver daily.  Maybe that is why?  

Well like I said I need to lose about 32 to 37 more lbs.  I will continue to take MET.  I plan on doing the first phase of Dr. Ian Smith Fat Smash Diet which is detox.  You simply eat fruits and veggies for 9 days.   I tried the fat smash diet before and lost about 15 lbs and I have keep off about 10.  I would love to see the scale go under 200.  That would truly make my day, week, month!

Cravings......Like I said this week I have had some, But again it's probably due to my cycle coming next week.  My appitite......I still have one.  Sometimes I do feel funny if I over eat.  I hope things start looking up.  I honestly think I lost the 8 lbs b/c I went back to work after being off and down for 30 days.  I'm just hanging out with 202 now.  I really don'tthink I can do much else.  I plan on doing two a day work outs next week.  

Well sorry I took so long.  I'll keep you all posted.  Maybe I'll start my 9 day detox Sunday and come back and let you all know how that works ofr me.

Oh one more thing...I found some bread that may be good to try.  It's call light bread.  You can have two slices vice the one slice with way less carbs and sugars.  I'll look it later and post the brand later.  Tastes fine.   You can tell it's a little different, but it's good to me.  I just started eatingit this week every other day.  

Happy weight loss to you all.

~Keep your head up!
You said you took Metformin for weight loss, do you mean that your doctor prescribed them for weight loss purpose and nothing else?  I saw your earlier post, you said you had PCOS and cushing, but you're off them both already, right? So now you're on Met for weight loss? Why not other real weight loss drug instead? I thought weight loss is only the "side effect" of Met, I didn't know they are prescribed for weight loss purpose. I'm just puzzled. I managed to loss some pounds after taking Met, but it never cross my mind it was due to the drug until I saw this forum, I thought my weight lost was attributed to my diet and exercise regime. I just need some assurance. Thanks and wish you well.
I, like many of you, was excited to find this forum!  It seems like everyone has a very unique experience with Metformin, so it was intriguing and somewhat scary reading all of your stories.

About me:
I am a 32 year-old female who was prescribed Metformin by her primary care physician specifically and for the sole purpose of weight-loss.  At 5’9” tall, I weigh 165lbs, and I’ve plateaued for the last year at this weight, after dropping down from 225lbs.

I am very savvy about health, exercise, and nutrition, but my body’s chemistry is just sabotaging me at this point.  I have terrible genetics.  I have hypothyroidism which is kept in check with a daily Levoxyl pill 150 mcg., if that helps at all, and I have never had any children.  (My doctor told me it’s very difficult for women my age to lose weight who have never had children, because our biological clocks know that time is almost up, so they hold on to every ounce of fat trying to prepare for that baby that’s never coming.)  Also, it’s a survival mechanism.  Some people are just very efficient at storing fat to sustain themselves over a caveman winter.  So I have a Darwinian advantage.  Great.

Anyway, after seeing an endocrinologist to make sure my hormones and everything else metabolic was in check, and it was, my doctor put me on Met.

Prior to this point, I food journaled religiously for two months.  Worked out with a personal trainer.  Ran two races, and did practice runs 4 times a week.  I work out at least 10 hours per week, and I’m a vegan (no animal flesh or by-products including dairy) who doesn’t eat any refined starches.  Mathematically, I should have been losing 2 lbs per week.  I had a 7,000 calorie deficit every week.   Instead, my weight was holding steady, and I actually ended up gaining four pounds at the end of the two months.  (And no, I didn’t gain 4 lbs of muscle.  Maybe one, but my clothes aren’t fitting any better, and I haven’t lost any inches.)

I’d been killing myself with ZERO results, and when my endocrinologist basically said, “You’re just not meant to be thin.”  I almost burst into tears.  I promptly called my PCP and she put me on Met.

Fast forward to today, and this is my first day taking it.  I was really on the verge of having an anxiety attack while staring at my pill this morning.  She started me at 250mcg breakfast and dinner for the first week, 500mcg breakfast and dinner for the duration of my time on this med.  I was terrified of the GI side effects to the point that I actually gave myself a tummy ache worrying over them, but at I write this, it’s been four hours since I took my half pill, and so far, so good.

Less than a minute after I took my pill, I had a crazy hot flash.  I actually felt the medicine entering my bloodstream.  For a gal that doesn’t drink any caffeine, I imagine this is what it would feel like if I did a quad-espresso shot.  It was pretty intense, and made me feel pretty funny.  Then I got a burst of energy and had a jimmy-leg for a while.  I assume this is connected.  I sort of felt flush all over, and this took about an hour to wear off.  

I’m happy to report:  no nausea, no vomiting, some silly belching, that may or may not be related, and I made my normal, happy morning poop on schedule without any crazy deviation.

I took my pill with cereal and a banana, and will continue to do so for the remainder of the week.

I’ll check back in to let you know how it all goes, but I’m really hoping this will be the magic component that when combined with everything else I’m doing will finally get me off this stinking plateau I’ve been stuck on.

Until then!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 22 i am now 33 and my husband and i are desperate for a baby. i have tried metformin and clomid to no avail. i am obese and with numerous diets and exercise routines i am able to lose a few stone then it just stops. my health has suffered due to it. i was told that becasue fo the hormone inbalance your pancreas does not work properly so your body thinks you need stores of calories, which is why i thought metformin may have worked. i am thinking about giving it a go again. my gyny advised a few years ago that if i lose the weight i should be able to concieve (conceive) naturally but i was not obese until my early 20's and have been sexually active since my teens (with my husband of 20 years) so i thought i would have concieved then so i am not sure she is right. My husband had the test and his motility is good not excellent but good.  

can anyone suggest any diets that have worked and do you think it's worth going back on Metformin!

Many Thanks
Hi, I am a 34 year old that has been trying to lose weight and conceive the last child of our two. I don't think I ever had a problem with weight loss, in fact my teens and early twenties I was accused of being anorexic. I was 5'2' and 98 lbs. I gained 10 lbs out of need as I thought I was too thin, and low and behold had the my first pregnancy at age 20. That was a shocker. Anyway, a few years later, I was married and anxiously waiting another child. Well after going off the Birth control pills, I noticed something strange, I was gaining weight. Everyone said cause I was happily married. It took me nearly 3 years to conceive and that resulted in a miscarriage. A few months later I was pregnant again and happily gave birth to a second child. Now at 34, again stopping Birth Control Pills, and gained weight, I have been trying for a year.

Like the other person stated, I exercise almost 3 times a day (30 minute walk in the morning, a 30 minute jog in the evening, and some pilates at night with light aerobics). I joined a 10 week active for life at work and watched my eating. I BARELY lost 5 lbs in 10 weeks, went on a vacation in a week and everything came back in one week. If I had been this active a decade ago, I'd be back to my accused anorexic self in no time. Currently I am 5'2' and 155 lbs. I get so sad when everyone thinks I'm pregnant, for one I want to be and would love to be gaining weight because of that. After one year I asked my GYN  for advice, after some thyroid testing and such, all is normal, he said I have PCOS.

I'm a nurse practitioner, and a naturalist at heart so I really hesitated taking Metformin. Plus it made me feel like a diabetic. So I waited but now my clothes can't fit, I can't go shopping, and I refuse to gain anymore weight but noticed what I do is only maintaining and not losing. I am desperate. My sister also has PCOS and tried MET but was too sick to continue....scared me more.

Well I picked up the presciption, made like a month ago today. And sat down with dinner and took the first MET pill. I felt a little funny, almost TIRED and ready for bed. I ate a smaller portion and don't crave any dessert. I'm a little nauseous but not to the point of vomiting, just ready to sleep. If this is all I'll experience, I think I can do this and see. If no baby in three months, I'll consider Clomid, but scared about twins (it's already in the family). If I can lose weight before getting pregnant, that would be AWESOME. Wish me luck, I'll keep you all posted on my weight loss and pregnancy success!

Good luck to all of you as well
I have been on Metformin for about two weeks and I think I have lost about 5 pounds- I hope I can lose at least five pounds a week! I want to encourage all of the women who started posting entries to check in once a week, I need some encouragement! Please let us know how you are doing with Metformin and the weight loss.
Hi.  I just found this website, and I should probably read all the posts before responding, but I see that you asked a direct question a little while ago, so here goes.  From my personal experience, I would definitely reccommend taking metformin.  I currently take 500mg of the extended release variety four times a day.  I was diagnosed with PCOS after rapidly putting on 50 pounds without a change in lifestyle.  I was already eating healthy, so I didn't change my diet when I went on metformin.  While taking the drug, I lost those pounds that I had put on while living the same lifestyle.  I think that really speaks to how powerful metformin can be.  In general, this would not be a short-term thing.  Metformin is a treatment, not a cure.  I know some people can reverse their insulin resistance with diet and exercise, but you are already doing that.  Metformin could be the key.  I asked my gynecologist if it will prevent me from getting diabetes.  He says that it can do that or it will at least delay onset.  Also, I want  to address that fact that you are African-American.  I hear a lot of statistics saying that Black people are at higher risk for a number of diseases.  This is generally misleading.  People of a lower socioeconomic status generally cannot lead an optimally healthy lifestyle.  Since people of color are disproportionately represented among the less privileged in our society statistics regarding race and health are often quite skewed.  I am certainly not an expert on diabetes risk, but I think family history and lifestyle are much more relevant risk factors.  I wish medical researchers would say it like it is: it's being poor, not melanin content, that leads to more health problems.
I start my metformin tomorrow i will let you know.
Just a little update.  Started metformin about 6 weeks ago.  Have lost 10lbs. so far.  Within the last month I have had laprascopic surgery to remove tubes and ovaries, a sales tax audit at work and my son was married last week.  So....don't know if I lost because of the metformin or because of all the stress!  I'm just thankful that I lost!
HI I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS DRANK ANY TYPE OF COCKTAILS OR BEER WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION CALLED METFORMIN. ON THE WEEKEND'S I DO LIKE TO HAVE A DRINK OR 2 AND WAS WONDERING IF THERE WERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS IN DOING SO??? THANKS FOR THE INPUT.
BONNIE
I did have a drink of beer after I took my Met 2 days ago, it was unplanned though. Nothing happen, not sure does dosage affect? I'm taking 250mg only (per day).
I just started taking Metfomin today for POS.  My Dr. didn't tell me anything about weight loss as a side effect from this drug.  The pharmacy however, did say that significant weight loss most likely would occur which I am thrilled about to say the least.  I found this thread and started reading the dosages that people were mentioning and was a little shocked because I am on 500MG tab once a day for 7 days then 2 (500mg) tabs a day thereafter.  This seems like a very high dosage compared to what other people say they are taking.  Also, I know the side effects, but I just had the worst stomach cramping and diarrhea EVER!!!  Hopefully this lasts only until I get used to it.  I am pre-diabetic as well so I am changing my diet and excersise habits.  If anyone has any advise or thoughts on this please let me know.  Thanks!
After reading back through the post's, I see that my dosage isnt out of line....lol  I hope this med does work for me and can also contribute to some weight loss as I need to lose about 80 lbs.
I started metformin the first time earlier this year, in the 6 weeks I was taking a modified dosage to help ease the diarrhea I lost seven pounds.I have pos and am insulin resistant (as most people with pos are). I was lazy about getting my refill and went off for a few months. I noticed a big difference -- I felt tired after carb heavy meals, headachy, I gained the weight back and I tended to snack more often. So I started up again this week. The diarrhea is back of course, but last time it only lasted the first three or four weeks, I don't have any other side effects so I can live with that.

My main goal is to control my pos as it runs in my family and three of my family members have died from complications of untreated pos at a fairly early age (early 60's). I want to live and be healthy.
I am 34 and have insuline resistance, I have been taking metformin 500 mg once a day for 3 weeks but it seems that my body is not getting used to it. I get hypoglycemic at the end of the day if I take it at breakfast and if I take it at dinner about 2 am I wake up sweating shaky etc. has anyone felt like that
u should check your dosage with your doctor. I was on 250 mg per day. I went jogging 3 times a week and cut down on my food intake. One evening after I finished my jogging session, I experienced hypoglycemia, i vomited, almost fainting, shaky legs, and sweat like mad (not due to jogging, like cold sweat), I thought I'm going to die, I was very afraid, Thanks God I survived. I think hypoglycemia can be fatal, u could go into shock. please seek your doctor's advise asap.
what is POS. I am thinking about talking to my dr about metformin about weight loss. I seem to gain if I eat anything. Insulin resistance I am sure. can't seem to loose on my own. I work out 5 days a week for 2 hrs each day with weights and treadmill and other equipment.
I am 32 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS about eight months ago.  I started to gain a significant amount of weight over the past year. Like 65 lbs. in the course of a year.  Anyway, my primary care physician had prescribed me metformin. At first I didn't take it like I was supposed to.  However over the past few months I started going to the gym and watching my carb intake as well as taking metformin and have lost 14 more lbs. when incorporating the metformin into my excercise and diet regimen.  
Today is my first day on Metformin. 500mg once a day for right now. I am 5'6" and 180 lbs. I would love to hear more about Met and weight loss. These posts so far have been very helpful.
I just started Metformin at 500mg a day for the first week and then 1000mg a week thereafter.

I am taking it as a treatment with fertility drugs.  Hoping to conceive.

I have had a weight problem.  Exercise reguraly, but can not control sweet cravings and can not lose any weight.  Fustrating when you work out as much as I do.  Doc said I should take off some weight but the main goal of the med is to regulate insulin.

Well check back in, in about a week to give progress.

Thank you everyone for commenting on this.    
i just staarted to take metformin500mg for weight loss i have graves desease and the weight has taken over my life 5'6 250 lbs i hope it works i'll let you no?
I've just been prescribed Metformin 500mg for weight loss.  Can't really exercise anymore due to pain in feet and legs, and gaining weight fast.  Kinda scary to read about Metformin, but I'm desperate (5.7, 228 lbs.).  The dosage seems to fluctuate a lot - any idea why ?
I was diagnosed with PCOS on May 20, 2008. I am 19 years old and was marriend to my sailor last November. My doc put me on 500 mg of metformin each evening. He was gonna move my dose up to 1000 mg after two weeks but my blood sugar levels were so good, he decided it was best to stick with the lower dose. I am going to see my husband soon so hopefully it will help with us being able to conceive. I am also takin provera to help with that. I have also gained some weight over the past few years. I have already lost a few pounds in the few weeks I have been takin metformin, and i hope that i keep on losing weight. I have cut out most breads, rice, etc. Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. I exercise often, when I feel  like it. The main side effects that i have experienced is horrible thirstiness all the time, and sleepiness. I havent had the horrible stomach thing, thank God. Best of luck to everyone and hopefully it will help all us women with PCOS.

God Bless Our Military personel!
I started Metformen roughly 6 weeks ago, 500mg 1 x per day for a week then I was switched to 500mg 2 x per day. I felt fine with no side effects. I lost 6 pounds but then had to stop working out (which I was only doing 3 days per week) and I ended up gaining 3 back. When I went to the doctors last week she switched me to 1000mg 3x per day. I thought this was drastic but need to loose 30 lbs (I'm 5'4 and weight 175) so I started the regimine 2 days a ago. The 1st day I was fine until about 4:30pm  then I just felt sick to my stomach...it lasted for a few hours. I continued the same doseage yesterday but once again was sick to my stomach in the early evening. And this morning at 4 am I woke up with diarrhea and now it has continued. I really want to loose wiehgt and have tried every diet known to man but not feeling well doesn't work out either especially caring for 4 children. Any suggestions on doseage would be appreciated! I ate breakfast (1cup special K cereal with soy milk) this morning and didn't take anything becasue I just still feel sick! Thanks!
Hi my name is Laura I started with Metformin 3 weeks ago. 1st week 1 500mg at bedtime and after the 2nd week 500 mg @ bedtime & 500 AM….
Yes worst side effect, diarrhea & I feel sleepy.
I used to take this med 1 yr ago, & after a paraloscopy to remove a cyst my gyn decided to put me on Clomid…..
I’m trying to conceive……. After o luck with clomid… We change back to Metformin…
I don’t ovulate on my own, so she recommended to take my body back to normal, & then start clomid again…. I have more than 1 ½ yrs trying to have a baby… & no luck…….
For me is like start from scratch once again….. We’ll see if I get my period next month… & how long will take me to get pregnant…
Yes I’m overweight

254lb   5’4”

Any luck getting pregnant with metformin,,,, how much longer I have to wait????

maia_maio***@****
Hi there!

I've been on 1500mg a day for 3 months and it seems to be the perfect dosage. The first 4 weeks or so was always a waiting game with runs to the bathroom but it went away over time. One thing though, I've had to modify my diet. You realize that the Met blocks the absorption of certain complex carbs and does bad things with sugars, one thing I've had a major problem with is SOY MILK! I noticed you had soy milk with your cereal. Watch out for that, soy milk can do nasty things to some people on Met, mostly because they add a ton of sugar to the manufacturing process.  By the way, I have PCOS and insulin resistance and I've lost 30 pounds since March. Stick with it, it works.
Hi there i was just recently put on Met and i am so sick from it, i wake up in the middle of the night and think im dying, i went off of it, but i started it again tonight, i have to take 500mg's 3 times a day. i never had a weight problem until i got pregnant and gained 80 pounds and i cant lose ot what so ever. after 4 years of going to the doctor i had a new gyno tell me i had PCOS and put me on Met. i am also taking 2 diff. kinds of blood pressure medicine, im so out of sorts right now, i dont even take asprin. i work out 4-5 times a week and i gain weight if i even look at food.
my question is after i lose all of this, will i have to stay on Met forever???
thanks, and i hope i sleep through the night

i went to my doctor last june after a year and a half of trying to concieve (conceive)...i was diagnosed with psos and was put on metformin to help me lose weight and to help regulate my cycle... i did get pregnant in early after only a few months in early sept.... unfortunately my son passed away at 34 weeks on april 22nd..... i returned to my doctors and am back on metformin hoping to again concieve (conceive).... i really do believe that metformin helped me lose weight but i do believe it needs to be combined with diet and exercise... i do know that if you wanna cut back on running to the bathroom you need to cut back on your sugar intake in general and if that doesnt help you should start of with low dosage and work your way up to your max your doc prescribed... wish me luck.. and good luck to you all....
Hi everyone! I have a quick question that im hoping someone can answer...  I was tested about a year ago for PCOS through an intra-vaginal sonogram.  The results revealed that I did not have it.  However, i have EVERY symptom of PCOS, including increased testosterone levels, and was prescribed Metformin.  My question is:  Does PCOS not always show up on sonograms?  
I am so happy to find this support forum.  It seems that many of you are new to Metformin or considering it.  I've been on it for 12 months, perhaps my input will help you.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and metabolic syndrome.  I was always very thin and after my first pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage I experienced a rapid weight gain.  I would diet, exercise,watch my carbs and STILL gain weight.  It was very, very frustrating.  I had fertility issues, but managed to pop out two kids.  After my son was born in 2000, I topped out at 265lbs at 5'7".  I just couldn't lose more than 5 pounds a year.  By the end of 2004 I was 240 lbs and finally went for a physical.  I was told that I was severely anemic and was treated for my anemia for a year.  Finally in 2006 I went to an Endocrynologist who put me on Metformin in January of 2007.  By January of 2008 I was down to 204lbs.  I feel so much better.  I still exercise, but I'm not compulsive about it.  I do watch everything I eat, but if it's a birthday or something I'll have a piece of cake.  I haven't lost much weight the last few months.  I've plateued for now.  This week I made the decision to ramp up the exercise and diet to get more pounds off.  I desperately want to weigh under 200 pounds psychologically.

When I first went on Metformin I experienced terrible GI problems and the diarrhea was literally painful.   It would keep me up at night.  After a while this subsided and I now enjoy regularity.  I found that taking the metformin with a small cup of skim milk solved my problem.  Funny, you would think that the lactose would aggravate the diarrhea, but the opposite is true.  Just make sure it's skim milk to avoid all of the fat and sugar in whole milk.

My PCOS is practically gone.  I have zero discomfort associated with my period and my irregular periods are a thing of the past.  I encourage everyone with fertility issues to hang in there.  It took me years to conceive, but I have two beautiful boys.  The metformin really will help you keep your periods and ovulation more regular after a few months and that will obviously help you target conception more easily.

Stop eating carbs if you are trying to get pregnant.  Even before I was diagnosed and put on Metformin, I noticed a pattern after a while...if I had spaghetti for dinner during ovulation, I would have terrible pain and bloating.  Complex carbs interfere with your ovaries.  Don't cheat...eat whole wheat if you have to have pasta or bread.  I gave it up for the most part and eat a whole wheat english muffin when I need to cheat.  I can glob smart balance on it and fool myself into thinking I'm happy with that.  Eat fruits and potatoes with meals only...never alone.

Hope this is helpful longer term feedback!
Hey all ,
I am new here but I have a PH.D in Psychology and my hubby is an M.D. I gained weight after health issue when they put me on a ton of steroids! I use to be a size 4 now I am an 18. I have been on metformin for about 2 weeks 2000 a day and my appit. has just stopped. It is amazing! We went to see my family in colorado and they always try to feed us, I did not snack once, and I only could eat a 1/4 of my meals. When I got back I HAD LOST 5LBS. I am still losing. I think it is a great weight loss helper. You still have to watch what you eat but it will help. I would like to hear if some of you have had the same results?
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22 and i am now 29. I was on metformin for about 2 years and my weight stayed at 160lbs. I stoped taking it after the 2 years and gained 20 lbs, I am now 183lbs 5"4.
I went to my doctor a month ago because even with diet and exerice I was not losing weight. With PCOS it is really difficult to lose weight, so I decided to go back on Metformin, I am taking 1000mg a day (one at lunch and one at night) its been 3 weeks and i feel fine, I have lost about 2-3 lbs without changing my diet or exercise.

For all the women out there who are worried about taking the medication, just remember its better to take it and deal with a few side effects than to be diagnosed with diabetes years down the road.

Hope this heps.
I to have PCOS and have for a few years now and some things I wanted to clear up because they are a bit confusing.

**YOU SHOULD NOT BE ON METFORMIN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE EITHER DIABETES, INSULIN RESISTANCE, OR POLYCYSTIC OVARY DISEASE**

METFORMIN IS NOT A WEIGHT LOSS DRUG! IT IS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH INSULIN/SUGARS/DIABETES.

IT WON'T CAUSE YOU TO LOSE TONS OF WEIGHT LIKE PHENTERMINE OR A DIET DRUG. TRYING TO TAKE IT FOR THIS REASON WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO LOSE WEIGHT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE INSULIN PROBLEM, AND TAKING IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN INSULIN PROBLEM WILL PUT YOUR BODY INTO SHOCK.
The reason that you need to take metformin when you have pcos is becuase your body does not regulate insulin properly and that causes insulin resistance. When you have pcos the lowest dose you should take in one day is 1500 mg. When you take the metformin after a period of about six months religously your body will start to produce and use insulin correctly at which point you will start to lose weight.
If you are not on metformin or enough metformin your body will continue to use your insulin inproperly and you will just pack on the pounds because it is storing everything attack mode.

As far as conceiving goes if you are on Metformin after a period of six months your body should start having a period on its own without the help of other drugs or birth control to induce a period. It is a proven fact that without the help of metformin most women are unable to have their own period at any age or weight. If you can stay on the metformin long enough to start getting and regulating your own period you will then be ovulating and be able to conceive.
Thanks so much for all the comments here. I am RE STARTING MET after a few years.

I just want to encourage all the women who have PCOS and want to get pregnant.

With 1500mg of MET a day, VERY VERY low carb diet, taking my temperature every morning and a very active husband :-), I was able to get pregnant in a matter of 7 months.

I now have a 8 year old boy, and a 12 yr old girl!

I am restarting MET because I cant get my weight off, I have uncontrolable hunger and the Endo Dr prescibed it again.

I was suffering with major GI effects and you all have helped me to have a bit more patience with the pills.

Thanks!!!!
Just an update, I have been on Metformin since November for Type II diabetes and trying to concieve (conceive). My periods have become close to "regular" and we just tried and I am late so hopefully the news is there. I have lost 10 lbs, nothing significant but with diet and excersise I believe I have lost it. In my opinion and having discussed with friends who are taking it and doctors, it is only successful for weight loss with people with insulin resistance or PCOS if they also incorporate diet and exercise. It is only helpful in lowering sugars without diet and exercise..
Hello, I am 21 and at 5'4'' I weight 260 lbs.  After being sexually active (with my husband) for five years and not taking any birth control my husband and I were beginning to wonder what was wrong.  (Not that we need kids right now but it seems as though it should have happened).  After being married for two years I decided to go to a fertility specialist because I was not having a cycle regularly.  I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant and prescribed metformin.  I never took the med because with full time college, work, and  house duty I just didn't think it was my highest priority.  A year later I am still gaining weight even with so much activity in my life and no change in diet.  So I have just begun to understand what it means to be insulin resistant and I am ashamed of myself for not taking action sooner.  Three days ago I went back to the doctor and got back on metformin.  I have had minimal side effects and all of my cravings and hunger pains have gone as well as fatigue.  I take it twice a day at 500mg.  I hope it helps with the fertility and weight also.  Thanks to all for posting it has really made me feel good about getting on the med and please continue to share updates.  
Hello Everyone,

Well today my pcp has prescribed Metformin to help with weight loss.  He new I was on Alli but due to stress and extra work load, etc I have actually gained weight....like 25lbs because I am way to tired to do my usual exercising.  Anyway, I am glad I found this forum.  I am a bit nervous, just like I was when I started Alli but I am hoping this will be a kick start....not a cure....I realize it takes more than meds, etc to loss and keep weight off.  Again, I am just looking for something to give that boost of confidence.   I am a Black, 43 female in S. Cal.  I am currently at 275lbs....I will keep you guys posted.

Take care,

Linda  
I too have started Metformin - 500mg twice a day with meals.  Diarrhea and nausea/abd pain have been my only side effects.  I have only been on the drug for 1 week.  Its nice to have this group to read about others experiences.  Decrease in appetite was a plus and I did loss 2 - 3 lbs.
Plan to continue the drug as needed.
I took Metformin for the first time yesterday...OMG the sickness! I don't wanna go into detail, but trust me it was bad. I took it again today, and amazingly, I haven't had ANY problems. The first day was bad, but today was sooooo much better. So if it makes you sick, don't give up on it! also my blood sugar went down 200 points( it was at 428 :-)
I'm prediabetic and have been on 500mg XR for a year.  I have tried and tried to lose around 20 pounds.  I'm only 158 and 5'4, but it's more than I should be.  I did go to a bariatric specialist a few weeks ago.  I think he knows his stuff (other than putting me on phentermine which about killed me -- omg), so I came off that after 4 days!  He also wanted me to double my metformin to twice a day.  After the phentermine scare, I have been skeptical of trying any more meds.  Does this sound do-able to most of you? --two extended release pills a day? (I notice most of you are taking more, but not sure if they are XR)
Thanks for your responses.  BTW, I did get up the courage to take half this am and will take my regular pm dose.  So far so good.
Thanks:)
Well I tried the drug on Sat.  I wake up late morning usually so I had a half of my turkey subway sandwhich (whole whaet) OMG OMG OMG.  I was in the most horrific pain for about 2 hours!.  I had vomiting and the diahrea.  That was the relief actually because I had to do an enema because my system is very slow moving since I dealt with chemo, etc.  I have not taken another dose.  I am to terrified.  I am just glad that didn't happen and I was at work.  OMG!!!!!!!  I mean is there a special diet I have to now follow.  Any answers would be a help while I decide this is something I want to deal with.

Well, i tried to tell you all! lol The first day i thought i was gonna DIE!!!, but the second day it was just fine. I'm a lil spacey but other than that I'm good. And it has KILLED my appetite.
Like all the helpful info.  It seems that certain foods may or may not be good on this diet.  Can anyone give examples of the food you have had the most success with in weight loss and less GI symptons as side effects.  When do the diarrhea symptoms go away.  And is it related to the specific food that was consumed.
Just started Metformin yesterday.  I'm 23 years old, 5'3 195 lbs.  Although i DO NOT have insulin resistance, my endo said i have PCOS based on bloodwork and other symptoms (irregular period, increased facial hair, excessive weight gain, etc.)  My question is:  Is metformin ONLY for insulin resistance????

Thanks in advance to all who reply,   <3
UPDATE:
DO NOT over indulge on this mediacation...OMG yesterday we had a pot-luck at work and i ate (only 1/2 a plate of food) and i guess i had too may calories and my body turned against me...It was sooooooo bad, I had to leave work early. Now, i'm back to only eating what i need to survive. But I can't say I'm really upset, I've lost like 7 lbs this week.
I'm 24 and trying to conceive.  I was prescribed Metformin for PCOS.  (PCOS), also known as Polycystic Ovarian Disease, is often caused by a hormonal imbalance brought on by Insulin Resistance-related obesity)
I take 500mg twice a day, usually one with breakfast and one with before dinner.  I've eliminated all processed foods and sugars out of my diet.  I now follow the insulin-resistance diet which proved to be much more helpful than the low carb diet prescribed by the Dr.  With the insulin-resistance diet, I can have up to 30grams of carbs with a meal as long as I eat it with 14 grams of protein. I still can't have potatoes or corn, but I can have 1 cup of whole grain pasta as long as I eat it with a lot of chicken or meatballs (around 2oz).  1 cup of brown or wild rice as long as I eat it with 1 oz of chicken breast.   I have found very good bread that I can eat also.  I don't remember the brand but it's double sealed, it's in two bags.  It has 16g of carbs per slice with 6g of fiber.  therefore only 10grams count.  so I can have a ham and egg sandwich with the bread for breakfast.  so far I have lost 38 pounds in 4 months. and that is WITHOUT exercise.  The drug gave me very bad diarrhea for the first month, I became very familiar with every restroom in town,  I started taking a prenatal vitamin with it every morning and that has taken care of the problem.  The extra minerals my body doesn't absorb gets eliminated causing the problem to go away. My recent visit to the Dr's was very inspiring.  She believes I can conceive without fertility drugs and the metformin should be enough.
I've just started the medication 2 weeks ago. I have pcos but have not been diagnosed with insulin resistance.  My question is how long do you think I have to wait to know if the metformin will work for me.  My doc said it can take up to a couple months but just wondering everyone else's experience. Any feedbacks will help. Thanks in advance
I have the hypoglycemic problem too.  I've been taking metformin for about a year for pcos.  My blood sugar has always leaned to the low side.  I get what my pharmacist refers to as a "pseudo diabetic"  - (i'm not diabetic)- reaction.  I bougt a cheapie blood sugar monitor (it was like $15.00) and when i start to feel like tht I test my blood.  If it is lower than it should be I eat something, or if that is not an option I keep a roll of the glucose tabs that they reccomend diabetics carry around.

I've tried talking about this wth my endo (I also have an autoimune disorder), but to be blunt, he's a jerk - pretends to listen but really just rattles of his pre-formed speech that he gives all of his chubbier patients wether it is relevant or not.

I have found that if I take my metformin with meals it does not happen as frequently and for some reason if i can avoid sunlight for an hour or so after taking it, that helps too.

Thank you everyone for the good reading on this site your comments are very valuable and vary from one person to another.

I have had a problem with losing with for the past 12 months - Combined with eating well & excerise I found my weight was still going up & down so decided to go and see a Endocrinologist/Metabolism Specialist. This Specialist was recommended to me & is highly valued in Australia.

Years ago I did have a thyroid cyst removed & half of my thyoid gland removed & at that time gained weight. Nowadays my thyriod is functioning well, however the Specialist that I have seen has advised that I have never lost the fat that has been kept in my stored fat cells, that is why my weight goes up & down. Even though I eat well to empty the cells that hold the fat I need to follow this very strict diet for some time.

He was fantastic - With great advice on excercise, diet & has placed me on the medication Metformin (twice a day, 250mg to start with). I have only taken it for a few days however so far so good no side effects. I am not diabetic however the Specialist has decided to put me on this medication to assist with making my cells more sensitive to insulin resulting in less appetite & more burning of fat stores. The specialist did strongly advise that this medication will not make me lose the weight alone, but will assist in the burning of fat from stored cells along with following this strict diet & excercise.

After reading many posts it seems that the diet I have been advised to follow is different to what many other readers are following, so if anyone has any useful information re diet it would be appreciated. I am confused why some people are allowed dairy foods, when I have been advised to take it all out of the diet except in coffee.

I have been advised to lose the weight I must not have anything with sugar in it, no potatoes, rice, pasta etc, however can eat Rye bread as an exception.

The diet is as follows - Sounds very strict but he advised me only 3 meals a day as if you have morning tea & afternoon tea you are training your body to live on extra energy & telling your body it needs it by eating inbetween Breakfast, lunch and dinner, where as if you only have breakfast, lunch & dinner your body is forced to use the energy from where the cells are storing fat.

Breakfast - 2 slices of rye bread with either: 1 egg or tuna/salmon/ham/meat such as beef.

Lunch - 2 slices of rye bread: either 1 egg or tuna/salmon/ham/meat with salad.

Only one egg a day so either morning or lunch.

Dinner - 200g of lean meat/or fish with either veges or salad.

I am to have not low fat yoghurt as they are high in sugar & if i feel the need for a snack inbetween only 10 almonds.

The only fruits are berry fruits as most fruits are high in natural sugar but at this stage I am not allowed anything other than the diet he has told me to follow - I am presuming it wont stay this way forever with this diet but he has advised me that this will take the weight off and pull the stored fat out of my cells.

Excercise - Min of 10,000 steps a day & to use a Pedometer & also keep a food diary for him to view at my next appointment.

After two weeks he plans on increasing the Metformin.

I will update my progress on my weight loss & my fatigue - As the Specialist advised me the fatigue i experience with over tiredness, forgetfullness, fluid is all due to my weight.

I weighed 92.5 kgs 3 days ago & have since lost 2.5 kgs - however this could be one of those times when the weight goes up & down but time will only tell.

Thanks again for your posts - They are great to read!

Bel :)
I heard you can take the new diet pill FORM with Metformin.  Has anyone tried? Does it work? The website looks promising.  It says it's like a gel that forms in your stomach and passes through. geltablet.com  what do you think? I really want to order some.
Hi there! I'm glad to have found this forum. I have been on a low-carb diet for over a year. At first, I lost some weight, but then from January to June, I gained 10 pounds even with serious dieting and exercise. I was so frustrated.

I finally went to an endocrinologist and was diagnosed as Insulin Resistant which makes sense since diabetes runs in my family. My doctor started me on Metformin- 500 mg 2x per day and has slowly increased it to where I am now taking 1000mg 2x per day (breakfast and dinner).

I have lost 14 pounds in the last 7 weeks and am thrilled with the results.

I have changed my diet up a little bit. With the Insulin Resistance, I have been told to cut out dairy which I have and fat from animal sources. And soy. I have added fat from Olive Oil and Coconut Milk. And, I eat a piece of fruit everyday. I have not added grains back into my diet, but I will do so after I've lost a little more weight.

I am 5'6" and currently weigh 166 pounds.

I am a huge fan of Metformin, but I do know that it is not a weight loss drug. I have to work hard to lose weight, but at least with Metformin, if I work hard, I see results which was not the case before.
I have just started Metformin this is my third day. My fertility doctor prescribed this for me since I have PCOS and said this is the best thing to do to help me loose the weight, along with diet and exercise at least 5-7 hrs per week. He suggested weight watchers for the diet so I am giving it a try. So far no bad reactions to Metformin just slight nausea and if that's it I can surely handle it if it means we can have a baby. I am 25 and 5'5" my current weight is 216lbs he wants me to get down to at least 160 lbs just to be on the safe side for pregnancy.

Good Luck To Everyone

I have now been in the Metformin for one week - The only side effect that is noticeable is at times a funny taste in my mouth but besides that all is well. I don't feel as hungry but am not sure if that is the Metformin effecting me or from eating more protein?

Have been strictly following the diet that I mentioned in my earlier post & walking for one hour per evening. My weight loss is now down to 87.5kg - Am shocked at the scales & still uncertain if this is fluid or weight loss. After months of trying so hard to lose weight & my weight going up & down this is the first positive sign of the weight staying down on the scales but it seems alot of the first week.

Has anyone else experienced the sudden drop on the scales since starting Metformin combined with diet/excercise?

Bel :)
I have been on Metformen for the past 8 days and have lost 7.8lbs. I am not a diabetic just overweight. I am 43yrs. old 5'8 started out at 241.4lbs and today I am 233.6lbs. No side effects from the meds just a little dull headache at times, then I just eat some protien & then Im fine. This week I will increase my walking. Would love to loose 30lbs. in the next 30 days. I will keep you posted.

Cateyes
Hello All,

Well I am going to try again. I was given Metformin for weight loss.  I was on Predisone for like 3 weeks and gained weight.  Not happy.  

Before starting, for a week I cut back on my carb intake and refined sugars.  I am a carb and pastry junkie!  So it's hard but I am going to try and stick to it.  I was given 500mg 2x a day.  I am starting with 1 pill but cut in half ( half in AM the other in the PM) to try and avoid the side effects.  I started today (aug 23) so far so good. I guess I am trying to get my system acclimated to metformin.

If anyone else is taking Metformin for weight loss and you have any suggestions please share.

Linda
I also have been diagnosed woth PCOS.  I am 34 years old and yes overweight (5'3 180lbs) I have great difficulty losing the weight.  I have been on birth control for 15 years which helped with every side effect accept the weight loss but my doctor wanted to wait to put me on Met in case I wanted to have children.  I had to go off the pill due to a problem it was causing with my blood pressure.  I was put on Prevare for 2 cycles to bring on my period which was unsuccessful.  I am starting the Met tomorrow 500mg for week 1, 1000mg for week 2, and 1500 mg week 3 and on onward.  Reading all of the above is a little scary.  As I work in ashcool building it is difficult to get to a bathroom quickly and am a little scared of what everyone is reporting.  So any suggestions as to when to take the Met and what to take it with?
I was prescribed Met last week and took my first pill Friday evening. I'm on 750 mg (extended release) once daily with dinner this week and I'll start taking another 750mg in the morning this weekend. So far, I've had no side effects from it. It's being prescribed solely for weight loss- I'm 5'0" and 190lbs. In 4 days I've lost 4 pounds. I'm not expecting a miracle, I'm just looking for something to help me get started. I also joined weight watchers and because of the Met, I'm actually having a hard time eating all of my allowed points (calories/fat/etc.) daily. So, my question for those of you who have been on this for a while is how have you found carbs affecting the side effects? I'm a BIG sushi lover and there's a lot of white rice in that... so I'm pretty concerned about my first sushi experience after starting the met. I've pretty much cut out all refined starches so far... Anyone had any experience with this?
Hi all I was diagnosed of PCOS on 23rd aug and have started taking metformin and clomid as a solution. Clomid to regulate my periods and easy the eggs that come out and metformin to lose weight. I weigh 105 kgs on 23rd and havent checked my weight since then. The dosage is 500 mg twice in a day at every 12 hrs. I am so inspired and relaxed after reading this thread. Initially I felt like I was an odd one out.

I dont feel this anymore. Thanks to this forum. I will be updating my posts regularly, I am glad we have this lil thing of encouragement.

take care guys best of luck to all n me as well :)
Hi All,
Just an updated on the weight loss - Am still taking the metformin twice a day, follwowing the diet advised my my Endocrinologist & walking each evening. The weight is still coming down, when I started was on 92.5kg, now am 84.7kg. I think it is a combination of medication, excercise daily & following the diet strictly that is taking the weight off.
Still have the odd taste in my mouth but i am not sure how long to expect that to last for & some heart burn.
Has anyone else experienced heartburn being on this medication?
Good luck to all,
Bel :)
Hi everyone,

I've been on Metformin for about 6 weeks now and this is what I've experienced. I'm 42 and for all of my life have been very active, in my 20's and early 30's never had a weight problem. I went to my MD complaining of this weight issue, feeling totally exhausted all the time and lack of enthusiasm for anything at all. He did lots of test, all mostly normal some elevation in cholesterol and triglycerides (sp?) normal metabolism and normal tyroid levels. I work out 3 times a week with weights and to cardio 5 times a week. He wanted to see a food and excercise journal, so I kept on for 2 weeks, went back and I gained 5lbs. He was shocked and agreed something was going on with me. I believe it's either POS (with really no other symptoms) or true Isulin resistance, I have several family members with type 2 diabetes. He put me on 500mg Metformin with each meal and Cymbalta 30mg each evening. I have been on these med's for the last 6 weeks. So here are my findings:

The first week was bad, and I mean bad. At one point I thought I may have to be hospitalized I felt so horrible. Not one thing but a whole list of complaints tummy felt weird, so tired I could hardly move, some constipation, some loose stools, just generally felt awful!! I'm not sure if it was the Met or the Cymbalta, probably both, but I littlerally laid on the couch and complained about how badly I felt for a week. Luckily my husband is super supportive and wants me to feel better, without his support I would have stopped both medications and dealt with the symptoms some other way, but he urged me on - thank goodness! I really think that anyone starting this kind of therapy needs to either start on a weekend or take some time of from work. It took me 3 days to fold one load of laundry - that's how bad it was. During this week I pretty much ate whatever, since I felt so horrible I couldn't have cared less what I put in my mouth.

When I started week number 2, I was feeling a tiny bit better. I still had little to no energy and felt so disgusting I could barely do anything. I have special needs child so this was getting old and I needed some relief so I called my MD, he suggested that I stick with it for another week and then we'd decide how to proceed. Ugh, another week of feeling crapy, I didn;t know if I could do it but I'd try. Still my husband was urging me along saying that in only a few days I'd start to feel better. I was pissed! How did he know if I was going to feel better? I persisted angrily with the pills. Still I was eating mostly anything but had noticed I wasn't really craving carbs, odd since that's all I usually did crave. I started eating more lean protien and tofu, I'm not a huge meat eater anyway, and wanted less carbs in the form of flour and sugar products. I still wanted carbs from fruit and veggies but the bakery items lost their appeal.

On Sunday of week 2, so starting week 3 the next day, I woke up and wanted to go 'do something'! I hadn't felt like doing anything for the last 2 weeks, and for months before also, and now on a Sunday, my typical day on the couch, I wanted to get a sitter a go out. My husband was thrilled, as Sunday he's usually on his own to do whatever, as I never had any energy by Sunday. So I got a sitter and off we went, I said to him in the car, 'Ya know, I really think I feel kind of good'. I didn't want to speak to soon knowing how I felt just a couple of days before. But I did feel better.

Our friends from Holland were due in during the 3rd week and I was feeling pretty good, still a bit of GI problems but the fatigue and lethargy were going away slowly. I could function!! Two of the Dutch do not eat meat products so we made some yummy vegatarian meals and I was feeling even better! During their visit of 2 weeks we were on the go non-stop. We toured DC and went to the beach and to the pool and were on the go from morning till night and I felt awesome. I was still very tired at night, but that's how I'm supposed to feel - right? It's been so long since my body did what it was supposed to do, it still feels a little stange that it's working properly.

So, I think that sticking with the med's and making it through the uncomfort is totally worth it. My cloths are fitting better and my mood and energy level are so much improved I can't imagine going back to feeling the way I did. I will visit my MD next week to test my lab work and see if my cholesterol and triglycerides are coming down and I know my weight is coming down as I can see my old body returning - slowly, but returning nonetheless. I am not weighing myself, I know how I want to look and will go by how I look, but mostly I'm interested in how I feel. This is great! I feel like I did in my early 30's, opptimistic, happy and content. Not old and rundown.

I eat whatever I want, but not tons of any one thing. I like to mix it up and I eat tons of plant food and drink loads of water. I do eat sushi for the poster before me and have no issues at all when I do. Yesterday was my birthday and I had ONE slice of cake and was totally satisfied. Like I said I am very intune with my body and I've always been athletic, I have noticed that I'm able to look at food again as nutrition, not as a drug to make me feel better. I think my body was trying to carb itself to happiness and what I was really doing was carbing myself to poor health. I do not think Metformin is a miracle but I do think it's going to help me live happily and healthily. Once I get the weight off my MD says I will go off of the Met and my body will function again properly - I do believe that it will. I can feel the change. My body is using sugar again properly and my isulin is not going so high as to store fat. I found a great website www.drmerkin.com and it really gives detail as to what is going on in your body, also they have good recipes and podcasts that are facinating.

I will post more as my journey continues. To all of you just starting the first 2 weeks are hell but it's so worth it to continue if you can, the side effects do go away eventually.

Good luck! Lynne
Typo is my post - so sorry!! The website is

www.drmirkin.com

It's really good just search for Metformin or Glucophage and there's tons of info.
Hi, I am 33 years old, no children because of fertility problems and will be getting a total hysterectomy in a few weeks.  My family doctor has recommended that I go on Metformin due to my weight (5'1" and 220#).  I have been struggling for years and she was originally going to put me on Metformin for PCOS, but now I am getting the hysterctomy she still wants to put me on it to see if it will help my weightloss.  I will be home for about 6 weeks after surgery.  After reading some of the postings with the bad side effects in the beginning, does anyone have a recommendation of when I should contact my doc to start taking the meds?  I am taking blood pressure and cholesterol meds as well as Allegra D for allergies and I am starting Ambien CR tonight as I have insomnia (which could be related to being overweight).  Any suggestions for taking Metformin and things I should do/not do please let me know!  Thank you!!
Please keep up your updates as I find them really encouraging and I'm also from Australia. In fact all the posts from everyone are really encouraging. I'm interested in the diet the Endoc gave you. I am been diagnosed as insulin reistant and pre-diabetic and both parents got type diabetes. They were carbo lovers of course like me.

I had read the articles by Gabe Mirkin MD and he seems to be in favour of taking Metformin. I had to really beg my doctor for it, he was worried by taking it my sugar might get too low. He favoured diet and exercise but it was the hunger and cravings that he couldn't address. I got the Metformin but then got scared of taking it.  Since reading these threads I've gone back on it. No side effects except for some urgency to go to the toilet ... LOL but I have noticed a definite decrease in hunger and craving for cakes/pastries/bread.

The only diet that ever seemed to work for me and kill the cravings was the Atkins diet which is very low carb, high protein but I couldn't stand the thought of going on it again, all that meat and eggs. So I'm going to try the diet the Endo gave you. I noticed a bread in the health food shop called Organic Spelt Wholegrain which has 19g of carbo per slice. I thought I might use this instead of the rye bread.

Anyway please give updates on how you are going as I'm really interested in your progress. Good luck and good on you for doing so well.
Glad to hear that you find all the post encouraging! I do too.

Sounds like the medication is working well for you if you are not craving the other foods that you were before, I found the same, not that I had cravings before for any certain type of foods but I don't feel hungry at all now in between meals which is where I think the medication is helping.

I am not sure why my Specialist told me the only breads I can eat is the rye Burgenden or Rye pumpernickel brands, so will ask him at my next appointment why only those brands. Let me know how you go with the Organic Spelt Wholegrain bread that you are going to eat. I think its great too that bread is allowed in the diet otherwise it would make anyone feel like a rabbit just eating the other foods without the bread. Those types of diets are only short lasting such as the shakes that people are drinking as eventually you have to come off the shakes and learn to eat a healthy diet so why not do it from the start.

The Specialists main focus in the diet seems to be to steer away from sugars, such as what I mentioned above in my earlier post, avoiding fruits, low fat yoghurt's as they are high in hidden sugars, drinking juice etc. Oh also with the rice & pasta he included to keep away from noodles. No soft drink at all with the exception of coke zero as it doesn't have the artificial sugars/and sugars like the others. You can have any herbs you like with your meals so if you like spices added & herbs they are ok. This wont be forever but he explained to me that this diet must be followed to burn the stored fat, otherwise the stored fat will always remain there hidden & down the track the weight will go up & down if you don't burn out the stored fat.

Will let you know how I go at the next appointment - He did advise as time goes by the weight loss will slow down & thats fine with me as its about feeling better, being in shape, not so tired all the time & living a more active lifestyle. Oh not to mention when the weight is down it will be easier to find things to wear instead of having to hide behind certain clothes all the time.

Am still doing my daily walk - Sometimes its hard to get motivated when you get in from work at 6pm, then have to quickly cook dinner for my son & head out for the walk but its a matter of being focused & sticking to it, so far so good!

The Specialist was fantastic & I wish I had of gone to one a long time ago instead of trying all different ways to lose weight & not knowing why I was so fatigued all the time.

Keep your progress updated as well as I am looking forward to hearing how you are going.

And good luck to us all on this journey together!

Bel :)
Are you still getting heartburn?

When I went for my diabetes test which was a very l-o-n-g 2 hours in pathology fasting and drinking a sugar solution, after I drank the sugar solution I instantly got the worst heartburn ever. So I wonder if the heartburn could be somehow related to insulin fluctuations?

But being a past heartburn sufferer I can tell you the metformin hasn't brought it on. I completely cured my heartburn just by raising the top of my bed on some blocks of wood  which was recommended to me by a specialist. I was able to stop talking all meds this way so if its a problem at night-time trying raising the bed. You do get used to it, I can't sleep flat anymore!

Your endoc sounds wonderful. He must be very pleased with your good progress.

Cheers
I was just prescribed met and Im so nervous to use it. I have a very touchy system as it is, and Im scared Im going to get really sick! I dont know what to do...................

Talia
Hi there,
The heart burns tends to come & go, however the Specialist gave me a script of Nexium to take when needed, that really helps with the heartburn symptoms.
Everyone's advice on this forum is great, but just look at the diet, exercise etc closely to monitor your own progress!
love bel xo xo
Hello there,
Thanks for your advice - Yes the heart bun  is still there however the Nexium does
help - Am not anything that can trigger it but the tuna chilli so may take the Nexium till it settles,
Bel :)
I have been prescribed metformin today after being on steriods for about 3 or  4 months.  I have gained about 15 pounds and NEED TO LOSE THIS!!  the Endocrinologist agrees and put me on Metformin. I am about 5ft 6' and at the moment I weigh about 174Ibs

I am a bit scared to take the pill but your posts have helped I will let you all know how it works for me.
Hi there all,
Hope everyone is doing well on their journey.
Just a quick update - This week has slowed down the scales are still the same as last week but my clothes are alot loser? Has anyone experienced this where the scales are the same but your clothes are loser?
I became quite constipated out of the blue this week for the past four days - I am presuming this could be from increasing the metformin but will confirm that with the Specialist when I go back on the 18th Sept. I increased my veges at dinner instead of salad but still was quite constipated. Yet today felt like my bowels were when i first started the medication, giving me the runs just a tad? Have kept walking each day so see how it goes. Thats my update!
Bel :)
I just finished my first week at 500 mg and started at 1000mg today.  My hunger is compoletely non-exsitant and I find that I am eating because I know I should rather than being hungry at all!  I have real bad acid reflux which has not been any worse since starting with the met but I am continuing on my nexium as well.  I eat the Arnold Carb Counting multi-grain bread which is only 6 net carbs and is pretty good.  I lost 4 punds in the first week I would be psyched if it continued that way we'll see.  I haven't had any trouble with my stomach at all.  I ma still a little nervouse as I have to go up to 1500 mg next week.  We will see:)
HI
Just going to start Metfomin today.   Dosage will be 500mg 1x a day for a week then 500 2x a day for a week then 500 3x a day for a week ... then 1000 2x a day.  The diet recommended to me was the Zone Diet or the 40-30-30 diet.  I read good things about these but lots of calculating and that is not for me.   I am a teacher so last thing I want to do at home is more "math" just to make a meal.  I am nervous about starting Metformin but now evne more so that I learn certain foods affect it even more.  I am trying to list what not to eat with it... but some of the things are opposite of what my 40-30-30 diet request me to eat so I am not sure what to do!  
My doctor put me on metformin for borderline diabetes (blood sugar in the 120's) and I am overweight (5'3" 199 lbs). He told me one of the side effects is weight loss.  In the first week I lost 4.5 lbs! And now at 9 days I have lost 6.5 lbs to date!  I have started keeping a food diary and eat between 300-400 calories three times a day. But this isn't hard because I don't have my usual huge appetite and cravings. I have never lost this much so quickly on any diet plan I've been on and I don't feel this is "water weight". As for the person asking about drinking alcohol, I have and did not have any adverse side effects. I did have some diarrhea for the first couple of days, which went away. My doctor prescribed the Metformin ER 500mg with dinner for one week, 1000mg for one week, then 1500mg every evening. I am so happy with my progress I will continue and increase my physical activity since I have so much for energy.  Good luck everyone!
I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism.  I have been on MET for almost a month first two weeks 500mg at dinner time and now I have been on 1000mg for about a week and a half, and nothing no weight loss, no decreased appetites.  How long should I wait it out?  I do not like taking meds if I don't have to.  Thanks for any and all advice.
it is usually suggested to also do a low carb / no sugar diet while on metformin. I have been on metformin for about two months also doing a low carb diet and I have lost 28 pounds. that's with out exercise. The first place i noticed the weight loss from was my stomach. I am on metformin because i have pcos. and lots of water
Thanks I'll try that.  Were you told when to take met? During, before or after you eat
Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing pretty good since I am back on the Met.

I slowly weened myself back on to avoid the nasty side effects.  I did the 500mg cut in half for 1 week.  So I did 250mg in the AM and then again in the PM.  The next week I did 250mg 3x a day.  Third week I am on the prescirbed dose of 500mg 2x a day.  So far so good.  I am also watching my carb and sugar intake.

My question is whether the 500mg Extended is better than the regular.  Any comments are appreciated.

Happy Hump day to ALL!!!!

Linda
Ive just been reading most of the posts on this forum...

I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 17 im now 29, not much was known about the condition, and to be fair theres still lots to learn.

I was put back on Met last week by an endocrinologist, after begging my doctor to read up on the condition and refer me to him. I seemed to know more than my GP! Im on 500mg 3 times a day, and so far have lost 7lbs in a week...however i think thats mainly due to the nausea and diarrhoea.

The main side effect that i have noticed is that im mega tired! could sleep for England at the min! but thats only because my body is so used to riding high on massive sugar levels that its almost gone into shock! :)

Also one other thing i have noticed is that people refer to having PCOS, when infact most women have PCO...the syndrome is the more rare of the condition, which encompasses all the effects...insulin resistance, hirsutism, weight gain, lower manly voices, generally feeling unfemine, depression, lack of periods, fertility struggles and so on. PCO is where people have the period/fertility problems.

The unfortunate side of both is insulin resistence, and although yes..i am over weight (obese most would say) mainly due to the fact that my ill informed doctor put me on Dianette (worst thing to do with a PCOS sufferer!) my main concern is liver damage, so whether i lose weight on this pill or not, or it helps me to lose weight...i just hope that its not too late for my liver...lets face it ladies, we can always adopt or foster a child, but a liver is irreplacable.

oh and one last note...i trawled the net for a cream/treatment/witch doctor lol who could fix my facial hair...as its been so horrible getting rid of it since i was 15...but im pleased to say that the one thing thats worked after all the electrolosys, cream, shaving and plucking is a cream called Vaniqa, which is prescribed by your doctor, you apply twice a day like a moisturiser..and it supresses hair growth...i no longer worry about having people touch my face :) YIPPEE!!
Regarding your question about the extended release... I've been on the extended version for 3 weeks and have had no bad side effects. I have noticed a drastic decrease in my apetite also. I've lost nearly 10 pounds.

When the doctor did prescribe the met (weight loss only- no diabetes or PCOS) I did some research on drugs.com. If you look at the information "for professionals" for both regular and extended, you'll see that regular reported about 50% of patients with the runs, while extended reported only 10%!  Here's the sites:

Regular:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/metformin.html

Extended:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/metformin-extended-release.html

Good Luck!
   I was put on Metformin for being pre-diabetic.  I've been on it for the past week (500mg 2x a day) I have had very little side effects, bowel problems being the worst.  I have been extremely tired, but at the same time I've had difficulty staying asleep. I'm especially tired after I eat, and I have been eating healthy.  Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did it start to get better the longer you took the medication? I can imagine feeling like this all the time. I feel like a zombie. I teach elementary school and I can't imagine working while I feel like this.
Thank you for responding.  I will talk with My dr about possibly trying the extended Met.

I still have My "sweet" cravings from time to time but not like it used to be, which is great!  I hate my co-workers because since I've been on Met the office has been filled with donuts and bagels....aaarrrggghhhh  very hard for someone like me who is a carb junkie.

Hi al, glad to hear your positive stories about Met.

I however have only had bad experiences. The Met is making me gain loads of weight, especially around my tummy area, in addition to nausea and diarreah (diarrhea).

I eat well and exercise 4-5 times per week for min 30 mins, a mix of running and weight work, so I know its not down to me being lazy.

I've been diagnosed with PCOS and have been on 1500mg/daily for the last 2 months.

I'm now thinking about coming off it as I see the weight gain as counter productive to reducing my PCOS symptoms, not to mention pretty depressing.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences on Met.

My daughter has not lost any weight maybe a few pounds, but I have noticed she still easts bread, goes out to drink beer.  She has been told she has POCS and insulin resitance.  Help...she is so big.  Only 5'2" and I know she at least weighs 180.  I am just sick over it.  No one even regonizes her....what kind of help to you suggest?  Yes I have talked to her
I went to the doc last week about wanting to lose weight.  Doc had me do a fasting insulin resistant test and I am barely in the mild range.  He prescribed Met, 500mg 2x/day with meal.  I haven't started it yet.
My question is:  wouldn't the mild insulin resistance be due to my weight instead of vice versa?
It wasn't until reading this forum that I even realized it is used just for weight loss.  I really hope it works for me.
Thanks for all sharing your experiences, very helpful.  I'll report back.
Im a 30 yr old Afican American, 5'7 and I weight 284. (I was told I dont look as if I weight that much thought...)

My PCP said she think I might have PCOS, even thought all my test had come back good. But being that I was on birth control for three months, I wanted off and I havent have a period since then. So now here I am. I started Metformin 500mg once a day on Tuesday Sept. 23, 08; The only thing I've notice is lose stool.

I had a premie do to stress, Oct. 1, 06;
Then I lose my father May 16, 07; so I've been on a roller coaster every since, with yo-yo weight.

I have tried every diet under the sun and nothing seems to work. All I want to do is lose is 60 pounds, and I'll be much happier with myself.

I'll keep the community up to date with my weight and health.

Be Blessed and Eat Healthy
Started metform i week ago today, and lost 10 pounds. I was told to eat 3 meals a day, but i have been only eating 1 which is my lunch and maybe something light but i do eat a yogurt in the morning that is about it.

i don't feel hungry. 1000mg. i was told to start with it once a day. at night. i work for a ob/gyn and the infertility doctor said to take it at night.

i did have the loose stool. she said i have to eat. eat lots of veggies and drink lots of water. good luck with everyone who is on this RX. i diagnosis myself with pcos. confirmed it with the infertility doctor and my former ob/gyn doctor. i want another baby and my periods are normal but the infertility doctor said she would put me on metform to keep me from becoming a diabetic which i will be once become pregnant. my pcp and the doctors said it would not hurt to use it. i do a lot of walking too. so it helps.

oh and the nauseous effect too besides the loose stool. lol. feels like pregnancy.
I just started Metformin last week, 500mg a day. I have not had any weightloss side-effects, unfortunately!  In fact, I feel more hunger and very tired. I actually think I've gained weight on it, is that possible?? I am taking it for PCO and insulin-resistence.  Where is the weight loss everyone is talking about?  How long do you have to be on it to see weight loss and is it dose dependent? Also, what time of day should I be taking it?  
I can relate.  I started Met on Friday and I've pretty much been binging with an unsatiable hunger ever since and craving sweets.  I NEVER have a sweet tooth, but now I do.  I don't understand.  Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Am updating from my previous posts - I am still taking the Metformin 3 times a day but haven't been back to the specialist yet. I haven't followed the diet for two weeks but tried to - Reason being my dear sister passed away suddenly. I am going to get back into excercise & following the diet this week & when I return to the Specialist will give an update. I dont feel like i have put on any weight just maintained it or maybe my clothes are abit loser.
Hope everyone is going well on there journey,
Love Bel
went to doctor and had some test done.  doc wants me to try metformin. I am not sure, but am thinking seriously about it.
Not a diabetic, but it does run in the family.  father and brother. Over weight and not feeling up to par. Thanks for all the comments.  I am studying what to do and the comments help.
I am 36, 5'9" and weight 245lbs. Obviously I need to lose weight. My doc gave me Metformen to help lose weight and also because I have Metabolic Syndrome. I have been reading these posts and I have to admit I was terrified to take it due to the side effects. I took it yesterday after thinging about it for a week. I did what sever people on here did-I cut the 500mg tablet in halt and took it at breakfast and dinner. I actually felt pretty ok. I felt a little strange but nothing I couldn't deal with. I woke up at 2am and absolutely thought I was going to die. My heart was racing and I felt like I could not breathe. I was terrified and almost dialed 911. I have never felt so bad in my life. Obviously today there was no way in hell I was going to take the pills again. I need to know if anyone else experienced this. I feel fine right now but I still felt out of it this morning-of course I didn't sleep at all though.
I read about metformin and metabollic syndrome a couple of years ago because I was searching to find why I was overweight without really eating that too much.  I would go out to eat with people who were slim and I always noticed they would eat more than me, but yet I was overweight.  I primarily gained it in my abdominal area.  I'm a 39 year old female and needed to lose around 40 pounds.  After I looked on the internet about this, I found that the symptoms that I had were metabollic syndrome and my body basically wouldn't break down sugar like most people and I read also that metformin can help with that and make you lose weight.  I then went to my primary doctor and asked to be referred to an endrocrinologist to check into this.  I talked with him about what I read and my being overweight since my 20's when I didn't over eat, I could have made some better food choices at times, but I didn't over eat.  So the endrocrinologist basically concurred with me, he ran some blood tests and put me on metformin.  I lost over 30 pounds in about 5 or 6 months with no real modifications in my diet etc. after I started on metformin.  So in a nutshell, some overweight people, mostly those with abdominal fat, aren't necessarily overeating or "letting themselves go" as people (the ones who are fortunate enough to be slim naturally probably) say their bodies just do not break down sugar like most people and a person of average weight can be eating the exact same thing, but they just do not happen to have this problem of their bodies not breaking down the sugars or their bodies producing too much sugar.  Metformin was a miracle for me.  I was so frustrated before that to be overweight by no fault of my own.  
I drank a lot 2 times while taking it and I was fine.  I read later you aren't supposed to drink if you take this medication, so I may have been lucky to be alright.
I read somewhere that metformin makes you lose weight due to curving your hunger.  That's not true.  It helps your body break down sugars like it is supposed to do.  I took it (see my post above) and I lost a lot of weight and ate basically the same amount and was not less hungry.  It just makes your body work the way it's supposed to if you're one of those people that is more overweight than what you are eating. 30 of the 40 pounds that I needed to lose were just due to body not breaking down or making too much sugar.  I know this since 30 pounds dropped off of me soon after starting this medication.  I had told the doctor right before I started that with what I eat and the amount I could understand if I was about 10 pounds overweight, but not 40 and it turned out that I was right.  
Hi I'm a 31yr. old mother of 2 and over the past 4 years I've put on 50lbs. I've been wondering if I should try metformin??? I've tried many diffrent diet pills & only loose @ 10lbs. then gain it all back!!!! And its all in my stomach area!!
Thanks,
Bonnie S.
I went to my Primary care physician (a new one) for the first time today.  She asked if I wanted to try Met to help with my wieght.  It also would help lower my triglycerides...  and is used for people that are at risk for developing diabetes.  Though I haven't been diagnosed with it.  Yes I am.. overwieght.  She did a blood panel but didn't wait for it to come back before writing me a prescription.  I guess I would like to know.. were other people checked by thier doctors... blood tests, any kind of screenings... etc., before having this med prescribed.  I am nervous about taking it.  I do want to improve my quality of life.  I just do not want to do it and have problems later.  I am glad I have found this forum.  I am going to call my doctor tomorrow to ask if I should maybe take a lower dosage to begin with.... as to the other questions... I don't want to insult her since.... well she is the doctor... and I am not.
Lil
Hello everyone. I went to my doctor yesterday because I've been struggling with losing weight. I'm an avid runner, and I strive on healthy eating. A few years ago I took zolof and gained a whopping 30 pounds. Before zoloft, I never had a weight problem. Now, I cant get rid of the weight gained while on the meds. Apparently Zoloft destroyed my metabolism. So even with diet and exercise, I can't lose the weight. My doctor chalked it up to my age (38), but I'm refusing to accept that just because I'm almost 40 that I'm supposed to be overweight! Anyway, she gave me a sample of Metformin. She wouldn't give me the prescription until all my bloodwork comes back. She says Metformin is metabolized in the Liver and Kidney, so she wants to make sure everything is ok. I'm determined to use Metformin even with the side effects that I understand eventually go away. I'm tired of all the energy and money wasted on weight loss problems that will not help until my body's chemistry gets back in order. I'll post with more after I start the Metformin.

K
I never knew met would help with weight loss. My PCP prescribed it because my blood sugar was borderline high, but he also gave me an appetite suppressant (I don't remember what it was, it was a year ago and I only took it for a month). I would really like to lose about 80 pounds, but at this point in time, I'd be happy with any weight lose.

I'm glad I read these post.

Susan
The quick and dirty of my story is that about 10 years ago, I had an unexplained weight gain of about 25 - 30 pounds in 2 months. I was never able to shake that weight off. I didn't exercise regularly but I did from time to time. Safe to say only once a week - if I had to average it out. About 4 years ago, I took up running and a very strict diet. I managed to lose about 20 pounds - and then got pregnant. I miscarried at almost 6 months. I went on birth control and a few years later came off. Well I started gaining weight slowly. By then I was working out routinely so I couldn't understand what was going on. At some point I was running 25 miles a week and eating about 1000 calories a day and I was still gaining weight slowly. Finally last year I tried to have a baby with my husband. No periods! I went on clomiphene - no luck! I was sent to a specialist who diagnosed me with PCOS.

I started metformin about 3 months ago and I'm already down 20 lbs. I won't lie - the GI effects for me were horrific. I can sum it up in 3 words... unpredictable explosive diarrhea! I'm a bit of a control freak, so I wasn't going to let something as basic as out of control bowels chase me off the medication. It took 2 months but I was able to tolerate the metformin and to even eat some simple carbs with no grief. Small amounts of white rice etc. So my periods still aren't back yet, but at least I can take the medication without having to bow down to the porcelain god anymore. I'm at 188 lb down from 208 lb 3 months ago and with any luck I will get down to 150 where I think I belong.I'm not so sick anymore so I can exercise routinely - and I go to the gym 5 days a week . So hang in there - the medication ***** but it does work.
I forgot to mention, I'm up to 3 500 mg tablets a day..
Ok, I have been on Met for a couple of months.  I am not sure if I have lost weight because I can't seen to get My period to stop!  It seems I am not having the "usual" break between cycles.  I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

Linda
I am a 22 year old female who, this time last year, gained 30 lbs in 3 weeks due to a medication. I tried dieting and was never able to lose the weight, even though I have dieted and lost weight before. It seemed to me that something was different. My metabolism was completely screwed up. Eventually, i was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and prescribed metformin just this last Friday, taking 750 mg a day. I noticed that some people have seen weight loss results in the first week. Even though it has only been a few days I am already fantasizing about the weight loss and getting worried because I havent seen a pound drop off yet. I am getting kind of antsy because I know not everyone loses weight on it. I currently try to eat around 1200-1500 calories daily, so my fear is that if I dont lose weight on metformin I dont know what else I can do. I will continue to update on here, particularly if I am losing weight. Any advice is welcomed.
i started taking metformin 500mg twice daily.  I lost 2.5 pounds every 2 weeks, with the Doctor's support.

I am now at 850mg twice daily and the weight is coming off like crazy.

I am just taking the metformin for weight loss. I exercise twice daily, aerobics in the mornings and light weights in the evenings.

I still experience diarreha but i consume lots of water to prevent dehydration.

I believe our bodies are all different and we would  all feel different with various results, but i do believe it aids with weight loss.

I have lessen my consumption of carbs and sugars.  If  you want to loose weight you have to give and take. Just give the medication time to work.
I'm taking 500mg Met  twice daily, purely 4 weight loss, i'm down by 10lbs, after taking it 4 two wks. I don't mind the diarhoea since it always constipatated anyway, I'll keep u posted once i lose some more; Wish me luck!! Good luck to all!
Pls-
Correction: *i'm always constipated
Hoping everyone is doing well on their journey,
After the death of my sister on 10th Sept  i went off track with the diet, I am only slowly starting to get back into the routine of getting back on my diet - I have followed my diet not 100% but tried to, however have not exercised since 10th Sept but continued to take my metformin 3 times a day. I have been eating 3 times a day and have lost 1kg - The constipation has disappeared, I only had it for two weeks & figured it was just my body adjusting to the medication increase. If you are constipated increase your vege intake that is what I was told - And it worked.
Now its a matter of getting back into the exercise daily. Will keep the site updated, & good luck to all on our journey together. My diet is in one of my earlier posts in which my specialist told me to follow.
Bel :)
Thanks to you all for contributing.  It's nice to know I'm not alone!  I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago (aged 24).  At the time I was told there was nothing that would help me apart from changing my diet and increasing my exercise.  I got very depressed and felt very sorry for myself for about a year then decided I wasn't having it and was going to turn things around.  I ditched the antidepressants prescribed by my GP and joined a gym, I saw a personal trainer 3 x a week and reduced my calorie intake.  I managed to loose a total 7lbs in six months but felt that my body was against me and gave up. My weight then rocketed, I tried to live with it thinking this is just the way it has to be, but was deeply unhappy with my appearance.  I have been lucky enough to have two beautiful children after years of trying to conceive.  Again I have got to a point where I feel I can't take this, I must do something to change, I am so unhappy with my weight and hursitism that I avoid going out or even having my photograph taken.  I have started to see a personal trainer again who suggested I cut out carbs (I hadn't realised in all these years that the pasta I craved and was eating every night was exacerbating my weight gain)  I saw a new GP who prescribed me Metformin and I have been taking it for 10 days now.  I am very happy to say I have lost 21lbs since I started my training 8 weeks ago.  There is no stopping me this time, I'm not wasting another 8 years being miserable!  Good luck to you all and keep posting your stories.
Can someone tell me if it's normal to lose weight useing Metfromin. I'm 6'2" and have always carried around 205 to 210 pounds and felt very comfotable with that. Being overweight has never bee an issue. It was determined that I have type 2 diabetes and have been taking 500mg 3 times a day since March. I have dropped to 188 pounds without trying to lose weight and honestly until reading this forum was a little concerned about it. I am active, I play golf everyday. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can email me personally if you like at ***@****. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rick
I started MET about 6 months ago.  500 mg twice a day.  I just went back to the diabetic Dr. and had only lost 4 lbs.  He raised the dose to 500 mg 3 times a day.  My blood sugar stays in the good range but the weight loss is impossible.  Reading these posts gives me some hope.  I'll keep following this thread and let you know if I am having any success as well.
I started Metformin this week.  I am on my third does and have felt fine, with a little bit of stomach issues.  I am taking it because I have PCOS, which is polycystic ovarian syndrome(symptoms include not ovulating, insulin resistance, weight gain in the belly, hormonal issues.)

I had a miscarriage over the summer and we are doing this to  prepare for conception.  I take this and in a month I start clomed which is a fertility drug to help with ovulation.  I have been told to expect weight loss, and to feel sick if I eat a lot of carbs.  

My husband and I started the South Beach Diet to work on the carb cravings....let me tell you, I JUST WANT A DAMN COOKIE!  

But it is worth it if it will bring a baby into our lives.  I have lost four pounds, in just four days!
Hi I am 43 5'2 mother of 3 grown daughters. When I was 35 I was diagnosed with PCOS and was furious mostly because I had suffered so much with radical bleeding. MDs pumped me full if depo to stop the bleeding I felt there was a better way. Finally the last radical bleeding trip was about 19 days non stop literally dreaming about raw steak I thought I was losing my mind, I gave up and conceded that I have to stay on the depo in april of 2008 I weighed 278 when I went to WW and lost about 20 pounds after being ritual for 6 months. Finally I gave up and got on Metformin last friday I had stomach upset but took tablets for that and one tylenol pm and all went fine my hope is this will help me lose weight or like someone else mentioned it feels like there is no help. I will try to repost in a week with weight loss updates if any.
I was perscribed met for insulin resistance and weight loss. i have been taking met for about 4 weeks and have lost a total of 8lbs, but unfortunately i still crave carbs
Guys, We are all in the same boat! Started Met (Fortamet ER 500 mg) 2x a day. No problems with it; it does take the edge off the cravings. I had an impaired 3 hr. gliucose test-definitely insulin resistant. I have 4 kids (I am 48), and had trouble conceiving my 2nd. Went through the whole infertility work-up, etc. My MD at the time told me I was overweight-told me to stop trying until I take off the weight. I did-though I was 5ft8in, and 165, not too over. Went down to 150, and got pregnant with Pergonal. I am sure I had PCOS, as on a laparoscopy they saw my ovaries were riddled with cysts, but no one ever gave me a definitive dx. Stayed relatively thin,and had 2 more kids. Ironically, the daughter I conceived on Pergonal is 17, and was just diagnosed with PCOS, due to not having had her period, and an elevated testosterone level. She was also put on Met, but notices no change in appetite. She is thin already. My main complaint is some muscle and joint pain, though I cannot read anywhere that this is a side effect of Met. Has anyone had this? I am now 200, down from 213, and my goal is 150. Good luck to me, and to everyone else, as we continue this journey together. We can do it! I will keep posting!
Hi everyone.  I ran across this thread by accident while searching for info about metformin.  It seems that everyone here is a lot younger than I am (I'm 59) and whenever I don't feel right, my dr uses my age as an excuse, but I don't buy it because I've always been healthy and very active and see no reason why all of sudden I should become a blimp just because I turned 59.  I'm very small (5' tall w/ small frame) and managed to maintain reasonable weight (100-115 lbs) up until about Mar of 2007, when I started putting on weight like it was going out of style (gained approx 35 lbs total in approx 5 months).  Soon after that, I was dx with pernicious anemia and began monthly vitamin B-12 shots (currently on twice a month).  The B-12 helped a lot with the way I felt (it got rid of most of the tingling, numbness, gave me some energy etc), but I was still extremely fatigued, (and of course the weight gain, dry skin, hair loss, etc) so I finally got my dr to run thryoid tests - yep, hypothyroid.  I'm currently on 75 mcg synthroid.  I have been really watching food (basic diabetic diet) and exercising daily (very active job, plus work outs after work) and can't lose an ounce, or if I do, I gain it back again along with some of its "friends".  

About 3 weeks ago, I got a glucometer and began keeping track of my blood sugar (diabetes runs rampant in my family) and almost all fasting sugars have been over 100, with some much higher.  During the day, results bounce all over the scale ranging from hypoglycemic to almost 200.  I finally talked my dr's nurse practitioner into sending me for  blood work to check for insulin resistance and adrenal function and tomorrow morning I go for 3 hr glucose tolerance test, as well as other tests.  My cholesterol also went sky high at the beginning of this year and I've never had a problem with that before either; dr wants to put me on cholesterol med, but I am convinced if I could get rid of some of this weight, my levels would go down.  I still refuse to chalk it up to my age.  

I'm pretty sure that I'm prediabetes and wondering if metformin would be called for.  Is anyone taking this along with synthroid?  How does that work? Any comments would be helpful.
I've run the weight loss gamut with Metformin the past four years so I think I can speak pretty well from several sides of the issue. I've always been what we called in high school, a  bit chunky.  I weighed 123 my senior year, 143 my freshman year in college and got down to 118 when I transferred to a state school where I was walking a lot and dancing two hours a day.  Now, I'm 58 years old, 5'3", and currently 189 pounds.  My diet is ordinary - I seldom, if ever, eat fast food.  I don't drink soft drinks or fruit juices at all. I avoid high fructose corn syrup in everything. My alcohol intake is limited to one, maybe two 4 oz glasses of red wine.  My caloric intake daily is around 1800-2000 calories, mostly fruits, veggies, and protein from eggs, milk and an occasional steak or chicken. Between meals, I snack on fruit or a fiber bar (under 100 calories).

Four years ago, after a six month regimen of prednisone (for ulcerative colitis), I peaked at 228#.  Even then, I was walking thirty minutes a day and counting calories but the scale never budged. I carried the bulk of my weight around my waist (47" -Size 22 pants).  I was constantly hungry even after a good meal. Add rising LDL, off-the-wall triglycerides, increasing blood pressure, mood swings, depression, huge belly, etc. and you begin to develop a fairly textbook metabolic syndrome.  Only I didn't know it. I was very frustrated and unhappy.

Fortunately, I was seeing an allergist with a very good holistic attitude towards medicine.  She suggested and prescribed Metformin (initially one, eventually three 500mg tablets daily with meals) for me to try.  She told me to eat five (two 100 calorie snacks) meals a day leaving a third of the food on my plate and continue to exercise.  The goal was 1-2 pound weight loss per week - I lost nineteen pounds the first month. I joined the YMCA and by June of 2006, I was down to 142 pounds and a size 8/10.  I was positively euphoric even with the wrinkles.

That's the good news.  The other side of the coin is that when we cut the Metformin to one daily, I found that with exercise, I could barely maintain my weight.  But without swimming and the eliptical, I gained back about ten pounds.  And we're not talking a short walk kind of exercise - I was spending three hours at the YMCA three to four days a week just to MAINTAIN my weight. My endocrinologist initially said that I might have been insulin resistant all my life - anytime I was sedentary and ate carbs, I picked up weight. But he was also rather sarcastic about my thoughts on gaining back weight without metformin. He was never in favor of using drugs for weight-loss - just a diet and exercise regimen.  Well, I can tell you that he'd never had a week where he worked his butt of to lose lost two pounds and subsequently eaten a couple of slices of cheese pizza or some pretzels on a Saturday night only to find the weight gain back in doubles the next day.  I literally could not eat carbs or sugar. But with UC, you can't survive on Atkins.

Summer of 2007, I was no longer on any Met. Then I broke my foot and went from 147 to 159 in twelve weeks.  In November I had a serious ulcerative colitis flare-up and even WITH diet and exercise, the four months of prednisone added another 25 pounds.  At 183, I was still exercising.  But in the last month, the weather has turned cold and I'm up to 189 pounds.  All the metabolic disorder symptoms are returning.  I feel like I'm pregnant or carrying a very large turkey in my belly.

My allergist is a saint.  She had the blood tests run to check for metabolic disorder and, guess what, they came back with all the indications that I was insulin resistant without being diabetic.  My primary care physician has now  prescribed metformin.  The food cravings have disappeared almost instantly. I've begun to lose weight again - even today with all the Turkey Day fixin's.  I will be seeing a new endocrinologist next month, not only for my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but also she specialized in metabolic disorders.

I know it won't be easy to get back to 145 pounds.  The incentive is that I have only four pairs of jeans and some sweaters to live in until then.  I also want to add that you need to be very very honest with yourself about your food intake before you even begin to consider insulin resistance as the cause of your weight gain.  If you count calories religiously, exercise honestly and weigh yourself DAILY, then you may begin to see a pattern emerge of weight loss and gains associated directly with carbohydrate intake.

You aren't insulin resistant if you're eating supersized meals at Wendy's or chowing down on candy bars and bags of junk food for snacks. That 32 oz. Coca Cola is 440 calories.  But when you've eliminated the calories (less than 1800 a day for me), are exercising at a level to burn 300-500 calories daily and you GAIN weight ... metformin might just be your ticket to a thinner, healthier life.
I have been on Metformin for a little over a year.  I logged onto this site to see what the long term effects are, but it seems only one person took it for a long time and their effects were much different than mine.  I had none to really speak of.

When I first started taking it (for weight loss) I was at 255 pounds.  At first I was getting sick to my stomach from taking 500 mgs in the morning and 500 mgs in the evening.  Once I lowered it to 500 mgs in the morning the sickness went away.  After a few weeks or so, I upped it to 1000 mgs per day, without any nausea.  

At first I was meeting with a nutritionist weekly who was helping me to slowly change my eating habits.  I was losing one to two pounds here and there.  Once I got serious I started losing more weight.  In one two week period I lost 7 lbs.  I think that happened twice.  Within six to eight months (I don't even remember because it happened so fast) I lost 47 pounds.  

I asked what was the maximum met that somebody could take and she said 2000 mgs per day.  At one point, my weight loss plateaued and I upped my dosage to 1000 in the morning and 500 at night.  After losing the 47 pounds I was reluctant to buy clothes.  When I was losing the weight, clothes would fit one week and not fit the next.

Luckily I have not gained more than 1 -2 pounds back and that fluctuates.  However, I have not been able to lose any more weight either and I really want to get down to 120 lbs.  I am only 5'5" tall.  

A few months ago I stopped taking met all together because I figured I would give my body a break.  Even then I didn't gain any weight back.  Thank God!!  Now I am slowly starting to take it again.  At first I was doing the full 1500, but now I am only doing one or two in the morning and nothing in the evening.  I am also taking Welbutrin which also aids in weight loss.

I didn't exercise to lose the weight so I may need to start.  I need to move around more just to feel a little more limber.  I have a physically intense job so most nights I don't feel like exercising.

I am not diabetic, or pre-diabetic and my sugar levels have remained very normal.  I will say that the only two side effects for me were lack of hunger (that's how I know whether it is working or not), I had to force myself to eat.  The other being that my blood sugar falls really low if I take the meds and don't eat anything.

I found that out the hard way.  As a way to lose weight I got into the habit of only eating when I was hungry.  Well because I didn't get hungry one day while traveling I almost passed out from low blood sugar.  Looking back all I had was crackers and brie on a plane ride and a few grapes, and it was already 10:30 at night.  That was really scary.  Now if I start to get nauseous, and/or dizzy, I know I need to eat.  Also you start to sweat when your blood sugar goes low.

My sister is a nurse so I am lucky to have somebody who knows about medical issues.  I would have stopped taking it in the beginning when I got nauseous if she didn't say it was normal.

For me there have been no long term side effects.  My best advice is to get great eating habits while you are on the drug and stick to them even after you are off of it.  I went from a size 20W to a size 14 misses.  I am thrilled and want to get down to a size 8.  Wish me luck and encourage me to exercise.  Hopefully my exercise motivator is out there somewhere.  I really need to work on that.

Good luck to everyone and please be happy and healthy.
My Dr. just prescribed me the lowest dose of Metformin. I will start it tomorrow. (I am not diabetic, by the way)   I can't seem to lose weight, and I have to work very hard eating low calorie low gi diet foods and exercising very hard on a regular basis just to maintain my weight.
I have been trying to lose weight for years. I am not obese, but I am overweight. I am 29 years old, 5'5" and currently weight 170. I have seen several nutritionists and doctors over the years, several of which told me I was either crazy or lying about following their strict diets. The last nutritionist I saw, looked at my low GI diet and said I was doing nothing wrong. My trainer at the gym saw me working out in the hardest cardio and weight classes 4-5 days a week and couldn't see why I wasn't losing weight. So I went and had my thyroid tested. I am, in fact, hypothyroid. I also suffer from symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Since June I have been trying to get my thyroid under control. I was started on Armour, but had a severe reaction to that. Then I went onto Levoxyl, which made me gain 8 pounds in one month. I was taken off that and put onto the lowest dose of Cytomel, with no results. I am now on both Levoxyl and Cytomel. I still feel cold, crash every afternoon in a narcoleptic fashion at the snap of my fingers as I'm working at my desk.
I can only hope that the Dr is right that I may be insulin resistant and that the Metformin will help (even more since I already follow a low gi diet and exercise plan). I hope I don't have any major side effects that would cause me to stop. I will keep my progress posted. Please let me know if any of you are in the same boat and if you have any additional advise.
CAN SOME ONE PLEASE ADVISE ME ON HOW LONG IT SHOULD TAKE FOR THE METFORMIN TO TAKE EFFECT?

I was told I have insulin resistance. I have tried taking met for 2 weeks and no weight loss. I just began again with an increased doese of 500 mg 4 times daily. Its been a week. At what point do i give u?
Some people lose weight after the first week. Is anyone else experienced DELAYED weight loss.. please respond!!!!!

I started Metformin 2 years ago and I have lost 40 lbs. The weight loss was slow but consistent. I started it because I had Type 2 Diabetes and had been dieting for the previous 2 years without any weight loss. Now my diabetes is in remission- A1C- 5.3, I have gone off my cholesterol meds and my Blood Pressure meds.
I initially had diarrhea on Metformin but I was losing weight so I put up with it, the diarrhea eventually went away. Before I went on Metformin I was hungry all the time. The Metformin immediately decreased my appetite.
I stopped taking the Metformin a couple of weeks ago because my blood sugars were really good and I wanted to try off of it. I gained a few pounds (maybe just because of the holiday), my Doctor said I could go back on it if I started gaining weight so I started back on it.
I am 5'4'' and weight 190. I have been exercising with great vigor for approximately 3 mos. It's all documents on my Polar heart monitor. I'm exercising about between 3-5x/week for at least 60 minutes each time. I burn approx. 2400 - 3000 calories a week. My appetite has diminished and I certainly eat less and better BUT I'm NOT LOSING WEIGHT. All blood work appears normal. However my frustration level is off the charts.

My doc has prescribed Met. I'm going for fasting bloodwork tomorrow then I'll start the Met. I must admit I have concerns about taking this drug.

We'll see. I'll monitor my progress.
So i was diagnosed with PCOS in Sept of 08 and when i read about all the symptoms of PCOS i knew i had it and the one thing that got to me most was the extra belly fat around my waste after i had my duaghter, i weighed 140 before i got pregnant and was 180 after i had her, she is 3 now and i am at 170 and i am 5'2! we are trying to get pregnant again but i dont want to be on birth control or fertility drugs so i got perscribed metformin 2 days ago and i have started my process.
For the first week i take one 500mg pill at night
For the Sec week i take one 500mg in morning and One 500mg at night
For the third week i take one 500 mg in the morning and two 500mg at night
For te fourth week and On i take two 500mg in morning and 2 at night!
I really hope that this will help be lose some weight and that it will help regulate my periods some.
I will try to keep people posted to see what happens in the near future with weight lose.
Luckily so far i havent had any side affects of nuasa or bowel problems for the past two days!
i will write back soon
Just started Met on Jan 6, 2009.  To date I have lost 6 pounds and am feeling really good.  I feel tired a little more, but am taking a B complex to boost my energy.  My appetite has REALLY decreased.  I haven't started excercising more, but plan to soon.  I did have a couple bouts of nasty diarrhea, but found that it was only if I didn't eat right....fried foods, sugar.  So, I have lost 3 pounds a week so far.  Will keep everyone updated to my progress.  Oh, my stats are as follows....I am 5'6, 39 yrs old, and weighing in at this point at 273.  My goal is to reach about 150...I have a long way to go, but have it in me to do so.......good luck everyone
Stats:
Female
252 lbs
Symtops: Hair Loss, Obesity, Hirtusim
~~~~~~
Story in a nutshell:
I was diagnosed with PCOS/Met. Syn. way back in 2005. I've been of and of Meds but I am going to try to take it seriously this time.  
~~~~~~
Meds:
Metmorfin: 500gm x 2 per day-For the insulin resistance
Spironolactone: 25mg x 2 per day-For the hair loss
Lipitor:50mg x 1 perday-for the Lipids
Prenatal Vitamins: 1 per day-because i want to become healthy enough to be a mom.
I just started Metformin today, 500 in the morning with breakfast, I am taking it for weight loss I am 5'3" 198 lbs.  I have been surprised how it has controlled my appetite, I have felt fine no nausea or any other problems.  I have been trying to loose weight for years I work out on a treadmill or eliptical 40 minutes a day for 3 to 4 days a week.  I over eat because I always feel hungry.  Today has been my first day not thinking of food all day.
I posted back in the Spring of last year.  

For me, Met was not the answer.  It made me feel terrible.  Hot flashes.  Heart palpitations.  Had I ever done meth, I imagine that it would have felt a lot the same, however I didn't have any GI issues that many of your report, but I'm also vegan.

For me, the missing piece was going raw-vegan.  It's a HIGHLY restrictive diet, but I went back to school full-time, and still working full-time, I just knew I wouldn't have time to work out.

Simply going raw, I dropped 30 lbs in 3 months, and am now down to 140lbs.  I feel great.  I never have cravings, and it's really easy.  I just eat fruits and veggies all the time.  I graze non-stop.  I'm never bloated; I don't have the post-lunch coma anymore.  Eating clean feels amazing.

I really think that wheat/sugar are what prevented me from losing weight.  In ANY amount.  No matter how small or infrequent.  It's pretty frustrating how our primative bodies sabotage us.

I guess that's it.  Metformin just wasn't for me.  It seemed very drastic, and there were other options.  I could change my diet, so I did.
I stared Metformin in december 2008 around the 18th, feel very sick for almost 2 weeks. I have PCOS, overweight, and have infertility problems. When I stared Metformin I was 148 pounds, and I'm 5.0 tall, I did a search about diets that work well with Metformin, and found that LG (low glicemic diet) is perfect for people taking metformin. Today is 45 days since I stared metformin at the beginning I was very sick, specially if I eat grassy food, and have big meals. After my first week I stared the LG diet and eat only what is allow in it, plus I exercise very lightly (walk for 30 min, 3 times a week a least) plus drink lots of water. Today is 45 days since I stared Met plus LG diet , my weight is 118 pounds, I have lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks and most important of all I got my peridot for first time without having to take progesterone.
I found my diet at/ www. becomehealthynow.com
I really invite every body to try Low Glicemic diet with Metformin it really has work for me.

Luck to everybody

In 2003 I was obese, was infertile since i had my first child 12 years ago. I went to several doctors ( ran every test they could imagine--blood, biospy. mri, etc.)they only saw that i was obese " from overeating" even though i explained to them i didnt lose any weight when dieting. I finally went to a reproductive endocrinologist who diagnosed me with PCOS, she referred me to a diet doctor for weight loss and she also gave me metformin. I began to lose weight before going to diet doctor but when i finally did go to see him the weight loss went into full gear. Well 3 months after starting metformin i got pregnant my normal gyn was shocked that i conceived without meds and also about weightloss. Had healthy baby girl, then 3 months later i was pregnant again. Metformin was great helped me loss alot of weight that i could not have done alone but also made me very fertile. Since the brth of my last child 2 years ago i havent touched metformin nor been pregnant..I am starting metformin again this time i will be taking birth control with it...Good luck to all in weightloss and trying to conceive.
Tomorrow will be my first does of metformin.  After my 3rd child (and last) I started with wierd acne and incredible weight gain  I googled and had some test done to see if I have  PCOS.  I an 35, 5'8" and weigh in at 200lbs.  I can diet and work out without any weight loss.  My PCP wants to try metformin 500mg 1 at bedtime to see if this helps.  Any encouragement or secrets will be extremely helpful!!
I too am in the same position.  I 28 yrs old and for the most part of my life I have been very active physically.  In high school, I cheered, played basketball, softball, and partied like a rock star on the weekends. :)  With all of that being said, I continued to stay between 190-210 lbs all through high school.  I also remember being 158lbs on the first day of the 5th grade (that's when they did those types of test in your first week of school).  In the 8th grade, I started to have these very course, random hairs (like hairs that grow "you know where") growing from my chin, neck, and sides of my face.  Again, just normal to me.  I'd pluck them and wouldn't worry about it until another reared it's ugly head.  Then, in college, I started to get this acne on my arms and chest that wouldn't stop.  It looked like a rash from the wrong type of detergant but later the bumps would puss up like a pimple.  Again, I would use hydrocortizone, it would go away, and it just became a normal routine.  So up until this year, I just thought everything about me was normal since I had been dealing with these different little symptoms that I believed to be normal. I never believed anything to be wrong reproductively because you could put a clock by my periods.  And I still have regular periods until this very day.  Well, as time goes on, I fall in love.  I get engaged and we decide to try for a baby since my clock has started to tick.  I never tryed to get pregnant before so I was shocked to find out that we had problems coming.  After 14 months of trying to concieve (conceive).......NOTHING!!!!!!.  I immediately knew something wasn't right with me.  I went to 2 family physicians in the new town that I lived in at the time (I am from another town and stopped going the my regular gyn 3 1/2 yrs prior...HUGE MISTAKE).  Both doctors in the new town who told me it was I was just unlucky and that we need to just keep on trying.  I didn't like that answer nor did I believe it, so I took a trip to my regular home town doctor. After an vaginal ultra sound and blood work, my gyn diagnosed me right away.  He said, "Your ovaries look great and are cyst free, but you still have PCOS.  Your blood test show that you are not ovulating and you display all of the other classical signs of PCOS.  And OH....YOU ALSO HAVE THREE FIBROIDS."  OK...HUGE SHOCKER!!!!  He stated that he has been wondering where I have been in the past 3 1/2 yrs because he always suspected that I may have PCOS.  He has been my gyn since the age of 13yrs.  

Now I am on 500mg of metformin 2x per day.  I have been taking it for a 6days.  I feel nauseous when I don't eat or eat enough.  I also have been experiencing headaches and loss of appetite.  It is my assumption that the medicine helps you with weight by balancing your cravings for sugar in addition to feeling to sick to eat.  I am 28yrs old and have not greater dream than to be a mother one day so if this is what I need to do than I will stay on the path and follow my doctor's instructions.  

I am still in shock about the whole thing, but I wanted to share my story for several reasons.  First, i wanted to let others know that PCOS does not always come with all of the classical symptoms.  Secondly, if you feel like things are not right.....keep going to the doc.  Get as many opinions as you cant.  Lastly, metformin appears to be a strong drug....at least fer me.  If you are not a diabetic, insulin-resistant, or have PCOS, I would not recommend taking the drug to shed a few pounds, only.  I have read about some damage to other peoples liver from extended use.  If you don't have a very valuable reason (health, conception, ovarian regulation) for taking such a risk, it probably isn't a wise to use it for vanity.  

Good luck to you all, ladies.  I am new to metformin, pcos, and fertility issues.  If anyone has any encouraging conception and/or weight stabilization (as it relates to PCOS) stories with metform, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

im glad i stumbled on this forum. im an internist in my late twenties. im not really overweight but  i tried taking metformin as an experiment since i noticed that patients prescribed with the drug are losing weight. it is very effective. im surprised to know  that other doctors are prescribing it solely for weight loss purposes.im currently doing research on this subject.
I was recently diagnosed with diabetic neurothopy...much to my surprise!  I am a 40 year old, married, mother of two wonderful boys, and a Veteran.  Since leaving active duty military in December 1999, I have gained about 50-60 pounds (no more forced physical training 5 days a week).  I was weighed at a doctor's visit yesterday and weighed 201!  I am 5 ft. 6 in and have a "solid" frame.  My optimal weight when I was in my best shape for my body type was 150.  I could hardly get my mind around being 201 - especially since I was a Master Fitness Trainer, a person at the "top of my game physically and who trained others in physical fitness, while on active duty - I mean, I KNOW HOW TO BE FIT!  At any rate, my doctor prescribed metformin 500mg 2x daily as well as an OTC sublingual B12 supplement just prior to my two heaviest meals to help control my sugar levels.  She did mention during our discussion that it causes weight loss and that some doctors were prescribing it specifically for that reason.  I am a person that does not to take medicines, especially prescription drugs, but when she mentioned that it would help me get my weight under control as well as correct my blood sugar issues, I was excited.  I'm not looking for a loose weight quick pill, I looking for health but the weight loss will be a wonderful bonus.  

I took my first pill today and like another lady stated earlier in the thread, I felt immediately warm inside as the pill traveled down my throat into my stomach.  It was really weird.  I will monitor my reactions closely and let you folks know what happens.  It think good things are ahead and who knows, maybe I'll loose enough weight and get my diet/exercise in good enough standing that I won't have to take the metformin for long....but hopefully long enough to get back into my "slim" clothes.  
I pray all the best for all of you.  
I just started this three days ago for weight loss and I can't believe how good I feel.

After being on prozac three years ago, no amount of diet and exercise would shift the weight, but before prozac I did diet and exercise and lost wieght.  Now age 46.  Eventually my family doc told me to give up trying to lose weight as my body just wasn't going to.  He did believe me regarding the diet and exercise.  My weight stays within a 2lbs limit. Doesn't move up or down over that hardly, if I diet and exercise or not.  Plus, when I exercise I don't gain muscle, it's still fat, the clothes are still tight, so that one is a myth for me.

Anyways, mum mum is type 2 diabetes.  My cholesterol was going the wrong way, and I've been seeing a menopause doc for a year and she said to try metformin.

I have the regular dose of 500 x 3 times per day, but I've started slow, on half a tab, twice a day.  Yesterday the stomach was a bit off, but, I feel great, I feel awake for the first time in I don't know how long, and I've been headache free for two days.  I get a lot of headaches/migraines so this is exciting for me.

Anyone else had a mood and energy boost on this?

Lorrii
thanks for all information...tomorrow is my day 1 to take metformin, just to lose my weight..i hope metformin will help me to lose my weight!
   "just kip on posting guys"
I was to my Dr yesterday for a pre-op checkup and we discussed
my weight AGAIN and she knew I had received a WiiFit for Christmas
and I told her I was doing 30 minutes on Wii Fit and 30 minutes on Wii sport daily and still had not lost any weight -- I had put myself on a 600-800 calorie diet for the whole month of February and had only lost 1 #.
She looked at my latest labs taken for the operation and said my glucose was at a high level (101) so my pancreas was working overtime.
She put me on 500 mg Metforim (to start after my shoulder surgery)
which is sheduled for March 17th.
I am 68, 5-6, and weigh 222# . I will check back in a month with any results.
I will tell you that today is my first day of taking Metformin and I feel very, very good so far (took it first thing in the morning).  I don't know if this will help anyone, but I took it with a glass of milk, and felt no different than if I was taking any other pill, say asprin, ibuprofen, etc.  I have no upset stomach, feel great.  So I don't know if milk is the answer, or if it's just my first day, but I think I'll just keep doing that since it worked for me this morning.  I have was finally told that my PCOS could be a reason that I haven't lost much weight even though I'm exercising like crazy.  So starting today, I'm changing my diet according to how the doctor told me and taking this pill.  I have never been on prescriptions and am very healthy otherwise, so I'm very thankful and hoping this will help me get some of this weight off.  Thanks for all of your posts as they are very helpful to everyone who is new to this whole thing!
I am 20 years old, 5'6" and 176lbs. I started taking metformin in November 2008 after I was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost 2 years. I took Metformin for about 2 1/2 months. Everyone told me I looked like I lost weight but I didn't notice it. I have severe cramping and diarrhea the whole time.

January 15, 2009 comes around and I start my period. This was nice considering my last one was back in March 2008. I have always had irregular periods. I was excited but my period ended up lasting 5 weeks. Once it got to about the 4th week I stopped taking metformin. I went to the GYN and two of them told me I should stick with it. They are talking about trying chlomid but they need to do a bunch of tests first.

I had to get a Glucose test where I had to fast for 12 hours then go to the hospital so they can draw my blood, have me drink a pure sugar drink, then draw my blood 2 more times after each hour. They also put me on Provera once a day for 10 days so I can have another period (as if the 5 weeks wasn't enough). This was at the beginning of March 2009. After the Provera I started my period so then I had to make an appointment for an HSG, where they inject a dye into my uterus to check and see if my fallopian tubes are blocked. I live in Guam because my husband is in the Air Force. The hospital here only does the HSG on fridays and they only schedule 2 each friday. I started Provera on the 4th of March and my period started the 13th. I went to make my appointment and they wanted me to get it done the following friday. I told them I would still be on my period but they said it was fine. I wanted to do it the firsy after that. Apparently they have to do it within 5-10 days of starting your period.

So the 20th rolls around and I go to my appointment. After waiting almost an hour, the GYN comes in and tell me that they can't do it because i'm on my period and it can cause endometriosis and they were already booked for the next friday. So I have to wait a month, get back on the Provera, and try again. Once I get all of that done they will talk about Chlomid. The doctor told me that it might be best to start metformin again so I went and got my prescription refilled. I started metformin on March 26th again. I was nervous because it gives me bad diarrhea and stomach cramps. I also feel extremely tired all the time and I can't do a whole lot. The doctors told me that it will help if I lose 5% of my body fat which is 9lbs. (I was 180 when I went in). So I have lost about 4lbs in the 5 days I've been on it.

I really don't know if this helps anyone. I have just been so stressed with all of it that I wanted to share it with you. Please feel free to comment me back with any advice.
Ok, you have a lot of responses my experience was it ruined my gi tract to the point I had to get off it. Did I lose weight NO! Am I fat no obese the nature of meds. But getting off any meds is bad until you talk to a doctor. I did about the metoformin which at this point in time is what my doc said the best med for diabetes 2 I never tolerated it had diarrhea so bad I dehydrated. I am on less of a medicine now but can tolerate it. Some docs do use metoformin for weight loss but from my own experience the only time I truly lose is cut calories.  
Ok, I must say I found this forum back in November 2008. I was put on metformin because my testorone was high, irregular period, PCOS/ PCOD and I am over weight. I’m 5’2 weighing in at 190 when I started so….I started to take metformin 500mg one pill a day. The first day that I took it I felt very tired. I did in fact have to go to the bathroom and did have loose stools. I found that my legs would ache and I would have restless leg syndrome. I tried to take one a day for 3 weeks but I felt alone because of how my legs would feel when this drug would kick in. Of course I called up my doctor and I told him that there is no way I can take 500mg so he suggested cutting it in half. I started to take the meds again in January 09 and I don’t have any serious type of side effect with taking half a pill. The only problem that I have is when I take dostinex and metformin on the same day, I knock out like a light at bedtime. I weight 181 now which is progress. I did in fact go to the doctor today but the sad thing is while I am losing weight my period is still irregular and my testosterone is still high. I am a little upset with my results because the doctor suggested that I take at least 2 tabelts a day he did say that if I wanted I could take 6 in one day but I can’t even take one whole tablet a day. Basically I am going to just take one whole pill when I know I don’t have work the next day because I get really restless. I do suggest that if you try this medication to do whatever it takes to try and stay on it. One thing about the meds that doesn’t bother me is the soft stool. Since I was a teenager I found that I was always constipated but with metformin constipation is a thing of the past. I read somewhere that this med helps with pimples…I honestly am not too sure on this theory because I still get pimples. I do recommend getting vitamin b12 to take with this medication and always take it with food. You will pass some gas with these meds too. They say that you arean’t suppose to drink alcohol when taking this but I have on occasion especially when I take half a pill. I’m not looking to have a child anytime soon but I wouldn’t mind it if I got pregnant. I think that my body got used to taking half the pill because I haven’t had my period in almost two months and I know I am not pregnant.
I am 29 years old, 5'4" and 254 lbs. I have heard all of the horror stories from people about Metformin, and I am a little scared about taking it. Today was my first day on it. GI stuff *****, but wasn't life altering or anything like that. Is that normal? For it to be kind of "mild"? I really am glad that I found this forum. I can tell it is going to be beneficial to me. Wish me luck!
Thank you everyone for your honest input.  I stopped taking Metformin then restarted it again.  I do not think I gave it a try.  How long does it take to start working and really get in your system?  I was diagnosed as being insulin resistance.  I exercise regularly, eat healthy most of the time , and was not losing weight, so  my doctor put me on it.
I was just wondering if anyone has vomitted off of met. I was on it for 2 1/2 months and never had a problem. Then I started it again last month and this past saturday I woke up at about 4 a.m. feeling very sick. I decided to take a hot bath. After a few minutes I got a bad feeling and then puked. I read that met can cause occasional vomitting but it's never happened to me before. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I'm 35, and have been on metformin for a little over a month. I"ve had very minimal side effects, and have lost 8 pounds. This could be from the two blood pressure medicines that Ive also been put on. The main problem I am experiencing, is that I have been bleeding everyday since I started taking the Metformin. Has anyone else experienced this problem? please help.
i need all the encouragements i can get,i am 22 and married but i have poly cystic ovaries,was pregnant at 21 then lost it after that miscarriage i developed poly cystic ovaries my doc placed me on metformin,i desperately want to get pregnant again
My doctor prescribed metformin for me as well. IT DID NOT HELP AT ALL! It made me so sick I was on the toilet all day. I threw away every pill I had. I am now starting b12 shots and phentermine. I have heard it does WONDERS!
I just started on MET, 500 mg before meals, starting with one a day and building up to 3 over the next couple of weeks.
My doctor warned me I might get light headed etc and suggested carrying a candy bar around with me so I could cope with a reaction which is what my friend who has diabetes does too. So far I am doing well and am looking forward to the weight loss, I am 5' 11' and weigh 223 lbs right now.
I am a 56 year old man and had a bad bout of pneumonia last fall that I am still recovering from and lead to some weight gain and a very severe energy loss (if I walk up a hill I am exhausted for 24 hours).
I have elevated liver labs (4 ro 5 times normal) and my Dad has type 2 diabetes so I am taking the MET for fatty liver/ metabolic syndrome and to prevent diabetes.
Good luck to all of you.
Bob in BC
Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS and have been given Metformin to control my syptoms (symptoms) and help with weightloss. I have been taking meformin for about a year and have not lost that much weight, as I can only take the lower dose, as when I increase to 1500 I feel sick all the time. Has any one else experienced this? Also does anyone have any advice on what exercise is best?

thanks
I was on met for 2 1/2 months and then stopped because of the side effects. I couldn't handle the sickness and diarrhea. Then I had a 5 week period so I stopped taking it in January. I decided to give it another shot and starting taking it again on March 26. The sickness and everything is still there but it's getting better, and I'm proud to say I've lost about 11 pounds already. I'm not sure what is different now than before but something is working. I'm still not pregnant but I start clomid in about 2 weeks. I have also heard that if you take met with clomid it can actually help you to not have miscarriages. I'm not sure if this is true but it has worked for some people. They say to stay on it atlesat through the first trimester is not the whole pregnancy. I plan on alking to my doctor about it. I havent been pregnant yet but I have a feeling that I'm high risk for miscarriage so I think it is worth it to stick with met. Even though the side effects suck...it'll be worth it if I get pregnant and carry full term. Losing the weight also helps with concieving. I wish everyone luck and I will keep you updated on what happens with the clomid.
I started taking Metformin three days ago, 500 mg. once a day with dinner.  No side effects so far but have noticed a reduction in appetite.   I am 60 yr. old female, through menopause, and I take Armour thyroid and use bio-identical hormone cream.   I have been given Met for insulin resistance and to help with weight loss.  

I eat very healthy, and swim for an hour 4 times a week, also walk.   My husband is diabetic on no meds except Metformin and it helped him lose some weight.  Our doctors recommend what they call the "paleolithic diet", the way man is supposed to eat as a hunter/gatherer.   Lots of protein, green vegetables, nuts, seeds, berries.   The South Beach diet is along these lines and we like the variety of food.  Thank you, whoever started this forum.  I will write back after some time has gone by.

Massachusetts girl
I started metformin 500mg twice a day.  I've been taking it for a month.  I haven't seen any weight loss.  Is this common with anyone else?  I am taking it for weight loss.  I've gained about 50lbs in the course of a couple of years without much change in diet or exercise.  I was a competitive rower before but I still burn a good 800 calories from exercise a day at least 5-6 days a week.  I've done low carb, no carb, vegetables only diets and nothing has worked.  I'm steady at working out 5-6 days a week, varying duration, activity and intensity.  I am on a lower carb diet and sleep 7-9 hours a night.  I am not on metformin 500mg 3 times a day and hope to see weight loss.  I want to lose 40lbs.  Any other advice?  My doctor said that I might not be eating enough and that might be causing the weight gain, but then I don't understand because the metformin is supposed to take away the appetite as well.  Insight? Advice? I am getting desperate.  I know I'm not going to be super model thin but I do want to be a toned athlete.  The weight has significantly impacted my performance in different sporting activities and races.  Thanks!
Hi everyone. I just started on Met as well about a week ago.  At first everything was fine until I started realizing that at times I wasn't hungry anymore and then I had a bout of diarrhea once.  Then I was constipated for 3 days and then today I went 3 times.  I have no idea!!!!  I do not have sugar problems but I have tried EVERY single diet out there once I had my daughter 13 yrs ago.  I was athletic skinny for ever till I had her.  Then since I have had the worst time ever tryin to lose it.  I tried all the fad diets, pills etc and I have lost weight but then gained it back.  So my dr put me on met.  I am on 500mg twice a day.  We will see.  I have changed my diet and also started workin out. Last nite I woke up at 130 am feeling dizzy and had horrible pains in my stomach.  Then had a bowel movement....first in 3 days.  A result of met??????  No idea...if anyone has anything to say to this.....plz let me know!!!!!!  

thanks and good luck out there everyone!!!
I started metformin about 2 months ago, first I was on 500 mgs daily and about a month ago I went to 1000 mgs daily.

I have seen no weight loss, but I haven't changed my diet and haven't been exercising as I am so fatigued. I sometimes am not hungary and then all the sudden the hunger hits me and I think I'm going to get sick. I'm 5"7 and weigh 150 lbs, that's 20 lbs more then I was a year and a half ago and that was gained literally within 6 weeks.

Yesterday, I ate a bunch of sugar and then started feeling horrible. I felt like I needed more sugar, was sweating, shaky and felt faint. I'm not sure wha'ts going on and I really want to lose this weight.  I don't feel like my cravings have subsided.

Also, although I've been diagnosed with PCOS,  my insulin levels did fall in the normal range, I believe 88 and now 71.

Has anyone else experienced this same thing??
I JUST STARTED YESTERDAY EVENING TAKING MET AND WAS READING EVERYONE ELSES COMMENTS. THE COMMENTS HAVE HELP ME KIND OF UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MEDICINE IS SUPPOSE TO DO. I'LL CHECK BACK LATER ON MY PROGRESS.
I JUST STARTED TAKING THIS MED AND DON'T KNOW HOW ITS WORKING SO FAR. WILL CHECK BACK LATER.
I am so happy I found this forum, it has helped me understand a lot about Metformin.  I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago and my obgyn put me on birth control Yaz which put my period on regular mode.  I was also overweight (I'm 5'2 and at that time weighed 180 lbs) and tried everything to loose and was able to get to 173 lbs but could do no more.  I come from diabetics in my family so a few weeks ago had blood work to check cholesterol and diabetes amongst other things.  My cholesterol levels were not good and I am considered prediabetic.  The thing that really bothered me was I have been very strict with my eating habits since about 1 and 1/2 months ago and excercise 1 hour a day heavy cardio and strength training 6 days a week and I would loose 1 lb or 2 and gain them back.  It was back and forth for over a month and I didn't understand why I wasn't losing any weight.   So I told my doctor I was getting frustrated from not seeing any results, and after seeing my cholesterol is bad, I'm overweight, I have PCOS and and prediabetic she has put me on Metformin.  She prescribed 500 mg a day for six weeks to see how I feel with it.  I just started taking it 2 days ago and the first day was the worst.  I felt nausea, dizziness, and had very explosive diahrreah.  Then the second day I felt absolutely fine!  No effects whatsoever.  Today again I felt fine, no problems.  I have lost 2 pounds since the 18th of May and today is the 20th but I need to really see if it will keep going down or if it's still the up and down game I've been on since I started a month and a half ago.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for posting, your comments have really helped put me at ease.  There is one thing that I have noticed different than most people here, I am only on 500 mg a day, is this normal as everyone else is taking higher doses and more than once a day?

Good luck to everyone!
PS.  I forgot to mention on the second day I seriously noticed a decrease in appetite which is great!  Can't finish my meals anymore and I am not known for leaving food on my plate.

Will be giving update soon!
Hello All,
I went to my doctor with concerns about weight loss.  I’ve been having a really hard time losing weight and an easy time putting it on.  My doctor thinks that I might have PCOS and that I might be slightly insulin resistant.  Because of this we are going to try Metformin and see if it makes any improvement in the weight loss area.

I started Metformin on 5/7/09.  I started out with 500mg once a day for three days, 1000mg a day for the week after, 1500mg a day the week after that, and I’ll be moving to 2000mg a day this weekend.

The first week I felt a little bit nauseous and dizzy.  I lost about two pounds right away but now it’s just kind of staying steady (which is annoying).   I have noticed that my appetite is different.  I’m usually really hungry when I wake up in the morning.  I still get hungry but it seems like it takes me longer to notice that I’m hungry and sometimes food just doesn’t sound good until I actually get to that “hungry” point (hopefully this makes sense!).

Fabygm: it seems like we have some of the same issues with weight loss.  I’ve been really good about working out and watching what I eat and it just seems like nothing is happening.  It’s very frustrating to say the least.  It’s hard when you know it’s just something you have to do but you don’t really feel like you’re getting anything out of it.

I’m hoping that after I finish my first week of 2000mg a day that I can start to see more progress.  I’m sure it takes time for the Met to build up in your system and really start to work.  I guess I’ll just have to keep plugging a long and hopefully the jeans will start feeling looser.

Rue I know exactly what you mean about not eating until you're hungry, it really is the strangest thing.  I am constantly thinking about food, the whole day and night just thinking about what will go in my mouth next but now I don't even think about it!  I don't realize I haven't eaten until I am seriously hungry hungry.  I think this is the best thing ever since I never knew what it was like not to want to eat haha!  I think Met can have a different effect from person to person but don't give up, we should stick with it and stay on track with excercise and diet and things should kick in at some point.

I have lost 3 lbs total to date in 3 days but am still checking to see if it will keep decreasing or if it's just the same old up and down.  Rue thanks for your comments, it feels good to know you are not alone.

I will update soon!
Today is my first day on Met.  It was prescribed to me primarily for weight loss  by my GP.  He apparently has about 50-60 patients on met for weight loss and it seems to be working for them.....2 tabs a day (not sure of my dosage as I have to look).  GP said that if people don't lose 4lbs in the first 30 days then it is not working for weight loss.   I am 5'5 and weight about 181lbs.  I am looking to lose about 50lbs.  I went on antidepressants after my pregnancies and my weight increased by about 20lbs....so now, I struggle to lose weight!  I am one of those people who thinks about food constantly, whether I am hungry or not.  I do exercise and try to eat well, so I am confident and thinking positively that this met will work for me and I will help it along by really watching what I eat and taking at least 10,000steps a day!  Please keep updating as I am curious to see how everyone is doing on this medicine.f
I found if I eat normal food and simply reduce my portions, I tend to lose weight.  Met initially made me sick but now I take it and seem to do fine.  I do find when I don't eat enough, I gain weight.  This should be interesting.  Being 5' 7" and 228 lbs. and 52 years old, I really need to get this weight off.  My doctor thinks the "belly" weight is caused by Type 2 diabetes and I must say, I've never been a big eater.  My son thinks I eat like a bird.  It could all be attributed to my metabolism.  I will meet with a personal trainer next week to begin a healthy exercise program.  We'll see.....
So glad to have found this forum.  I just started met today.  Starting off at 500mg at dinner for 2 weeks, then 500 mg at breakfast and 500 mg at dinner for 2 weeks, then 1000mg at breakfast and 1000 mg at dinner. So far the side effects I have experienced have been mild GI, low grade headache, and the feeling of low blood sugar.  I think the headache and feeling of low blood sugar may be do to the fact that I started a low carb diet today as well.  I have PCOS and am Insulin Resistant.  I am 35 yrs old  5'1 and weigh 148 lbs.  Am really hoping to loose weight and just feel good in general.  I will update when I can.  I wish all of you the best of health and the best of luck in achieving your goals! :)
Just wanted to give my update.  I started Met on May 18th and so far have not had any problems with it.  The only thing, and it doesn't happen every day, is once in a while I get the runs.  Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.  I started weighing 173 and today I weighed myself and I am at 167.  So I've lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks which is not bad since I couldn't lose more than 2 pounds before Met.  I hope this effect doesn't stop.  I will be back soon with more updates.
I have been on met for a little over 2 months now. I am 5'6" and started out weighing 180 and I'm now down to 165. It seems as though I've hit a brick wall. I was progressively losing weight until a couple weeks ago and it seems like I can't lose anymore. Now my appetite is starting to come back. I think that may be due to the clomid I am on now to get pregnant. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or have any advice.
I have decided to try Met for weight loss due to having being diagnosed with PCOS. I am starting today and thought others may find it useful knowing what happens. (I will regulary update). I've lost two stone already but idealy what to shift another two stone however like many of you have mentioned i've hit the brick wall on the weight loss front. So day one....Gonna take one met a day for a week to start. (oh if you want to know i'm 5.6" and 12 stone at the moment)

Will keep everyone posted on any developments or those dreaded side effects. Hope this helps someone else make a decision.
I need some help......I have just read that you shouldn't drink alcohol when on met. My doctor didn't mention this but does anyone drink alcohol with met? I'm not sure whether to or not.
My doctor prescribed Met for an abnormal metabolism.  I've taken it for one week, the first week dosage was 1/2 tablet twice a day.  The first day I took it after dinner and was awake until 4 am, not sure if it's the pill or something else.  I've had some nausea and my appetite has changed, I never seem to be hungry any more which is good.

I switched to one pill 500 mg twice a day after meals starting today.  I'll be back to update on everything.
I reduced my A1C from 6.9 to 6.6 through diet and exercise. I reduced my weight from 170 to a steady 158 for months now. I am 5' 8".  My early a.m. readings - 125 to 130 (dawn effect) but the rest of the day 90 to 100. My GP wants me on Metformin 500 -
4 times a day. I am hesitant to take this med and the high dose. Any thought please.
I was recently diagnosed as insulin resistant/type 2 diabetic after my labs came back with my glucose level at 161.  My physician put me on Metformin (500 mg) twice a day.  I started it yesterday, and so far, I'm feeling no ill effects.  I also recently started on the Sonoma Diet which is a spin-off of the Mediterranean Diet, but the Sonoma Diet is geared toward weight loss and is very tasty and healthy for the long-term.  I work out 3 times a week for at least 30 min. each time.  I'm 56, 185 lbs., so I'm hoping that this medicine will help me with the weight loss and the insulin resistance.  I'll keep you all posted as to my progress.  Good luck to everyone!!
I'm 19, 5'4, 225lbs and was diagnosed with PCOS. I was kind of angry at first that ALL of my symptoms (irregular periods, big belly, fatigue, facial hair!) had a reason, and my pediatrician never looked into it for me. Every time I would go in, complaining about how I can't lose any weight, no matter how much I diet or exercise, he would just tell me "cut back on the soda" I DON'T DRINK SODA!! I went to the gyno for the first time last week (best decision of my life) she told me all of those symptoms were from this syndrome, and I had tears in my eyes I was so happy to be diagnosed!! I started Met 5 days ago, I haven't actually weighed myself, but my stomach feels like its shrinking. I did have the nasty side affects, and I'm hoping they wear off, but if I get results like I'm expecting then it is definitely worth it!

here is my quote of the day (said to my mother) "I've never been more excited to have diarrhea!"

I was excited to find this forum, I will keep you posted!

Hey Hey Everyone,

I am 20 years old and although my gyn said I only have a few cysts and does not "believe" that I have pcos, I on the other hand think I do. I have all the symptoms and have always had this thing in the back of my head that I would not be able to conceive on my own. Anywho I am interested in taking Met to help me lose about 20lbs because like 1 of the symptoms of pcos it is VERY VERY hard for me to lose weight. I have just finished a 6 week extreme diet and worked out plan (which consisted of tough boot camp style workouts for 1 hour 5x a week) only to hop on the scale and see that I had only losted 5lbs!! I was 165 and now 160 at 5'5.Losing ONLY FIVE measley lbs in 6 weeks made me feel like going to a buffet and letting loose just because I was so frustrated. So I am going to ask my Doc about Met and see how that goes. I'll keep you gals posted and if you have any advise Im all ears !

xoxo
Lola
I started taking Metformin 1000mg a day and birth control for PCOS and hyperinsulinemia (or something like that, lol) a month ago.  The first 2.5 weeks I felt great and lost about 7 lbs. ( 5'4 and 168 lbs-now 161)  But after the 2.5 weeks, I started feeling hungry all the time, and craving all the sweets again.  I was so happy at the beginning because I would leave my plate half full, and now I am back to the same story.  Could it be the birth control?  Since it tricks the body into thinking I am pregnant, could the birth control be interfering with the way Metformin works?  Anyone with the same situation?
     I am 15 and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. In 6th grade I had a full 8 months being on my period and they put me on birth control. Once I started taking the birth control I gained a large amount of weight and it is not fun being 185lbs at my age since at school I am always surrounded by thin girls. With my weight gain came high blood pressure and high insulin. My doctor said weight gain, and high insulin were both affects of PCOS. She said I was so close to becoming a diabetic. About a year ago I managed to lose 20lbs on weight watchers but as hard as I tried I couldn't lost more than 20lbs. Also I am extremely active. I play lacrosse and soccer and I am always running about 5 miles everyday plus actually running for my practices and I eat very healthy and still can't lost a pound. So my doctor said that was happening because of the PCOS. She is prescribing metformin to help me with the weight loss and tells me I will lose a large amount very fast with it since I am young and active. I was wondering if that is true. Has anyone had success with metformin for weight loss? Is It common for women to loss weight on metformin? If someone could answer these questions for me that would be great! Thanks a bunch!
I have learned alot from reading your comments on Metformin.  My sister is diabetic and she lost over 50 pounds in a year while on Metformin and my mom who is also diabetic has recently started taking it and has lost at least 10 pounds.  I aked my doctor today about taking it for weight loss since I am not diabetic yet.  I hope he puts me on it.  I'll comment back with updates.
I just started taking it like 5 day ago and I already lost 4lbs. Exercising and dieting is still very important. Also I am taking Metformin and i am not diabetic I need it to lose weight and for PCOS.
Hello, First of all thanks for all these comments has made me feel a lot better. I'm 29 and have just been diagnosed with POCS, I also have Hyperthyroidism. I am over weight - 213lbs, height 5. 1". This week I have started taking Metformin as I have been trying to conceive for 5 years now with no luck. I have always had irregular periods and only now have some understanding as to what is going on with my body. I have always been very active and a good sensible eater but could never lose any weight, just gaining (24lbs since nov 08) I am hopeful that Metformin will help me get my life on the track I so desperately want. Only had diarrhoea the first 2 days but feel fine apart from that. Slowly increasing my dosage up too the full 2000mg daily.  Will keep people posted, so it will hopefully make someone else feel better!!
I just started talking metformin last week.  I am very hopeful that it will work.  I have a family history of type 2 diabetes and I guess that according to the doctor, my glucose is elevated.  I have experienced similar to what other people have discussed, I had started running last fall and had worked up to running 3 miles 3-4 times a week and was losing weight then in January the Dr. put me on estrogen and I had a 5 pound increase, then in April I quit smoking and regardless of what I do I gained 20 lbs.  I now walk 2 miles at lunch 4-5 days a week, work out at the fitness center 3-4 days a week, walk 2 miles with my husband most everynight and take 20-30 mile bike rides on the weekends, and I could not lose weight.  I had heard in the past that quiting smoking has an effect on your blood sugar, so I don't know if that is what has contributed to the gain, I just know that I have had a great deal of difficulty getting it off.  I am waiting until I have been on the metformin for a week before I get on the scales, I don't want to get disappointed if the weight loss isn't showing yet. Thanks for all of the information. I will let you know how it works.
I just started met ER 500mg 1tab daily 2 days ago, in combination with phentermine 1/2 tab(37.5mg). I hope it works for me.
I have been on metformin 500mg twice a day since June 3rd.  So far I have lost 30lbs.  The first week I felt pretty bad but listen when they say to hold out because after about a week that passed.  My stomach is only upset when I eat fried food or too much sugar.  I did crave sweets after about three weeks but that has passed also.   I am eating much less than I used to, I feel better, I am not hungry all the time like I was before.  Eat right exercise and be sure you get your thyroid levels checked.  If you are tired all the time, can't lose weight, are always hungry, feel cold, are losing your hair you may have low thyroid levels.  I finally found a doctor that would listen and ran a thyroid panel, found my levels were low put me on armour thyro along with metformin and it has made a huge difference all the way around.  Don't give up.  It may work for you too.
I found this forum 3 weeks ago  wanting to understand how this medications have helped other people, after my doctor put me on Metformin for elevated blood sugar.  She knew that I was trying to loose weight and told me that this will support that effort.  I take 1000mg with my heaviest meal of the day.  I was doubtful because I have tried different over the counter diet and did not succeed.  I felt sick as some of you have indicated, but it went away after about 10 days. I am glad to say that I have lost 13lbs so far.  I will keep you updated with my progress.  
i've been on metformin for almost a month now. i was given it for type 2 diabetes. i started off with diet and exercise but the hypoglycimia made the exercise i was doing hard (i kept getting light headed and i was afraid of passing out) so i had to just stick to dieting. i cut back the sugar and carbs. the cool thing about the metformin is that i don't even have to watch my diet now. i'm supposed to take it in the morning and in the evening and i have to take it with food. the only reason i even eat is to take the medicine because i have NO APPETITE. its GREAT!! i've lost 6 lbs with very little exercise. i normally have cereal in the afternoon and i don't normally want to eat again until  around 8 at night. i normally only eat 2 meals a day with 2 snacks. i have to MAKE myself eat! I'M IN HEAVEN!!! granted if i were way smaller (i'm 5'8 196 lbs) being on something that supresses an appetite would be bad, but for those of us with portion control issues, its fantastic. i think i actually take in only 1500 calories a day now, sometimes way less. i also can't eat anything that i know is bad for me (sugar and heavy carbs knock me out and make me really feel sick and nauseous). i'm just hoping that his magic pill keeps working. i've read some people say that the appetite suppressing wears off in a few months, but i'm hoping that's not the case with me. it really does seem to affect everyone differently though, because i've had no major stomach problems- no diarrhea, very little nausea, no cramps. no head aches that some people have talked about either. outside of graduating college and having my son, metformin is the best thing to ever happen to me!
actually, last night i realized what my personal side effect is- it makes it hard to poop. thank goodness i had my son's children's milk of magnesia. as long as things don't get too bad, i'll stick with it.
Hey!

Great that i stumble on this thread. I have never taken any medications unless its absolutely necessary and i have PCOS but the thought of taking Metformin for long periods turned me off. I weighted 57 kgs and i am 5'1" only with a petite frame but in recent years have put on some few kilos.
I had started taken Metformin in 250mgs per day some months back and continued it and have never been that regular either and thought initially i have noticed some weight loss, it was never consistent. Maybe, because i never raised the dosage due to my phobia in taking medicines.
And have stopped taken Met for weeks now and my periods also started being irregular again.
I thought weightloss with Metformin was just a myth experienced by  just a few.
But after reading through this thread, i am now confident that i can at least loss 10 kgs this year with some diet and light exercises.

Keep up the updates and good luck everyone!
Hello Everyone,

I am starting my metformin  o  8-25-08, 250 mg twice daily, morning and evening. I am 54 years old, hypothyroid, 150 mg synthroid. I have had breast cancer, mastectomy, followed by breast reconstructive surgery in 2008. I am 5'7, 197 pounds and need to lose at least 57 pounds. I am active and have been up and down with my weight since my late 30's. I am hoping that metformin works for me. I will keep a weekly journal for all you ladies out there, and let you know how this works for me.

Anyone out there have a good low carb diet that works for them???? If so PLEASE send it my way!!
I started MET this morning. My doctor has me taking 1500mg in the morning. Does that seem right? I talked to the pharmacist and he just said that it isn't unusual since my fasting sugar was 139. I am prediabetic. It is genetic on my mother's side. I am a female, weighing 270lbs and am 6'0" (with a lot of muscle mass). I want to lose a good 90lbs. I was happy that the doctor said that MET will help me lose weight. It seems impossible for me to lose weight. I worked out religiously for 3 years and never lost a pound. Through research today, I seems this struggle may be directly related to my sugar-level and insulin effects. I am glad to be able to finally get to the bottom of this.

Shan
Wow all these stories are really helpful!!!

I have always been over weight and had regular periods, after i had my daughter in 2006 i had my period once then it went away for over 8 months, after that it was very irregular, i didnt think much of it untill recently when i couldnt remeber the last time i had it, so after being referred for a intra-vaginal ultrasound i was told that i may or may not have PCOS - he said i had "cysty" areas....so anyway he has put me on Met starting off at 500mg once daily for 2 weeks and if its "tolerated" then i am to increase to 500mg twice a day. im really hoping that this will help make me regular again and maybe even help me lose a few kilos too, while i was pregnant i lost a fair bit of weight as i had no appetite and only really ate enough so that i know that bub would be healthy, since having my daughter who is almost 3 i have gained 30 kilos. its very depressing and i have tried different diets and exercise with no result but more depression, especially when my flatmate eats the same as me and has lost heaps!!!!

in the last year i have felt like i have been tired constantly which doesnt help get you motivated to exercise. If any one has good meals/diet ideas that worked for them i would love to hear from you!!

I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes as well.  I feel well but want to lose weight and just can't.  My doctor who is head of the diabetes center in my city prescribed Metformin as a weigh loss and help to me not gettting diabetes. ( hopefully)
I start today and will keep everyone posted.  I do little exercise and enjoy moderate consumption of alcohol, so we'll see.
I would like to loose 60 lbs.
Was prescribded met by a friend md for weight loss.  Glad I found this forum.  I am 5'9 and weigh 259lbs, will start met for weight loos.We post results.
Hi guys, just wanted to share my experience and get advice.
I'm 5'7" and 234 lbs. I take met for insulin resistance. I am starting to excerise everyday and I am losing a few lbs a week (started at 239 week and a 1/2 ago). I take 2000mg ALL AT ONCE with my evening meal. I am still having side effects. most days I can't get out of bed I feel so weak. I don't know if I should split the dosage up or cut it down. my dr. pretty much tells me my side effects are in my head and to work out more! I only work out 20mins a day on the eliptical but that makes me feel even more sick. i find that for side effects gatorade really helps. I use the toilet for 15 minutes 3x a day and this is why i'm losing a pound a day. I'm worried this medicine is killing me, not just making me lose weight, but maybe i'm being dramatic :-) My blood sugar drops to 60 at night and actually wakes me up...anyone have problems like these? ps I am also having the 'anorexia' symptom. If I were not living with my mom right now, I would never eat! also alcohol is instant hypoglycemia for me! ok not instant, but you know what I mean.
Started met today was prescribed 500mg but since I usually don't take meds for anything I decided to split it in half and take 250 am and 250 pm.  So far no side effects will see what tomorrow brings.
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS as well as Hashimoto's. I am glad to see a great forum here that seems to offer a lot of support. I am glad I can join you all.
I have been rx'd met (500mg 2x daily) and am hoping, not only that I can lose some weight, but that I will start to feel so much better. Unfortunately, my symptoms have been affecting my job performance.
It is nice to see that most people here report a better result with a lower carb diet. My md didn't tell me anything about that, but I am really nervous about the bad side effects. I will definitely plan on having a lower carb eating plan from now on.
I am really hoping to lose some weight, as I am 5'10" and 210 right now. I excersise regularly, and I eat pretty decent (not wonderful). I could never seem to lose weight, and lately all I have done is gain.
Again, it is great to see the support out there, and I will keep you updated with my results, and also with any tips I pick up along the way. I hope to learn a lot more from everyone here in the future. Also, any tips for me are greatly appriciated.
Just met with my dr today and discussed everything under the moon, one thing being PCOS. He had diagnosed me with it years ago when having issues ttc and miscarriages and had prescribed metformin. Years have gone by... two more children added to the mix... and we're dealing with it again.
Acne. Weight gain and hard to lose. Facial hair. Major abdominal fat.
I go in tomorrow for blood work to test my glucose levels, among thyroid and cholesterol levels.
But he already faxed in a prescription for  metformin. I will begin taking it tomorrow sometime (once i head over to Target to grab it).
I am so optimistic about this!
I look forward to hearing about others' success on met.
Does anyone take metformin for acanthosis nigricans (AN). Will it help clear up the "dirty-looking" skin around the neck, underarms, groin area, etc.
Hi, I just started (9-13) taking Metformin 500mg once a day for a week at night then I will take 2 for a week at night and finally 3 at night till medicine is gone.  I am 5'3ish 148lbs, I am insulin resistant and have PCOS.  I also have acne and excess body hair and I have suffered 3 miscarriages.  I have taken my RE's advice and I am incorporating Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet into my diet, as well as referencing a Low Glycemic Idex food list.  I also plan to cut out alcohol.  I am hoping to lose some weight 15lbs would be nice, clear my acne, and be pregnant in the next few months.  Good luck to all of you and I'll keep you posted on my results.
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after YEARS of no one knowing what was wrong with me.  I have been prescribed metformin, 500mg 3x a day (starting with one, working my way up to three over 3 weeks).  I am actually at an average healthy weight (135 at 5'4) but I have ED-NOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) which in this case means I cannot be diagnosed as anorexic because I am not 15% below my ideal weight.  However, the only way I stay even MARGINALLY normal weight-wise is if I eat around 500 calories a day.  So for years I have gained and lost the same 40 or so pounds.  It's like my body wants to be obese but I won't let it.  I always told people that on a 1200 calorie a day diet, the lowest that most nutritionists would advise, I gain weight steadily despite strict adherence and exercise.  

Anyhow, stupid me, I let it slip how little food I was eating to my doc.  Let me clarify here, I do not want to get down to an unhealthy weight!  I just want to be able to actually EAT and maintain!  But she said I have to get my calories up to a normal range for me to start metformin.  My concern is that if I do, I am going to gain weight rapidly.  Do you think there is a way to start metformin and gradually increase my intake as my dosage increases?  I just freak out when I gain weight.  A HUGE thanks to anyone who read all that and takes the time to answer.
i just started metformin last week..i havent felt any effects..just a little bit of sleepyness and every once in a while a little nauseaus..today is my first day taking 2 doses..i didnt know that metformin helped loose weight..i was just hoping it would help with my pcos..and with ovulation..trying to conceive once the hubby gets home from afghanistan..but hey if i loose 10 to 20 pounds along the way it wont hurt =]
Viewing 201-400 comments: