Metformin and weight loss
I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
Has anyone tried Chromax for pcos? Just researched it and it is supposed to help..
Hi everyone. I am new to this site but I have some input on Metformin from my personal experience.  When my husband and I were married just over two years, trying to get pregnant that whole time, we sought the help of infertility specialists.  At the time I was about 165 lb at 5'3.  I started to gain weight at about age 25 and at age 31 I was very overweight even with diet and exercise.  My cycles were all over the place as well.  My husband is Air Force and infertility is not exactly first on their list of things to help people with.  When we finally saw an endocrinoligist, he took one look at me and put me on metformin.  My husband had infertility problems on his side too and they told us we would have a 5% chance of getting pregnant without using Invitro.  I was on Metformin for about 3 months and lost 15 lb.  I also found out I was pregnant (naturally) within 6 months.  My daughter will be celebrating her first birthday on the 27th of September. I only gained about 30 lb and was happy that I had lost that 15 before hand.  
I have also just started Metformin again.  Now that I am slowly weening my daughter from breastmilk and my cycles have started they are all over the place again.  And I am gaining weight left and right.  Now that I have started Metformin I have my energy back, I do not crave sugar as much, and I am loosing weight.  
I have lost more than 25 pounds during the last two years after  ( perhaps due to)  I started taking Metformin for my diabetes.  I take 500 mg. two times a day.  I watch my food and do regular exercise ( but not too much).
I have become too skinny with this weight loss and would like to reverse the pattern, and gain some weight.  Quite opposite what most of the people in the USA need.

If any one has any idea as how to gain weight, please let me know.  Perhaps some other people may also benefit with your suggestion.
Further, if anyone is familiar with some natural ways of controlling diabetes 2, please share your ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Robert, NYC.

I have had AWESOME results. I did some research and Metformin is indeed used for weightloss and it is recommended that the pills be taken about 10-15 minutes before eating. It reduces hunger pains as well as makes you feel full due to the expansion of the tablets.
I take 2000 mgs. a day. I have lost 44 pounds and counting. I have also changed some of my eating habits, but unfortunately, I am having a hard time giving up the carbohydrates. I do not have diabetes but I do have  metabolic syndrome with a pre-diabetes prevention. The main issue is the fact that my appetite has been greatly reduced. I just am not hungry all the time. Whether it's from the pills or the reduction of insulin into my body --- I like it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm looking good sista'!!!!
I have not taken this medication yet but I was recent diagnoised with PCOS and the dr. wants to put me on this med. I want to have children so will this help me regulate my periods to become pregnant??? Do I have to get off of this med to get pregnant?? I am really dont know what to expect! I am only 25 and having problems!! Its probably not as bad as I think it is but I am having issues with the weight and acne part of it!!
Do you have to have Diabetes to get this medication?
hey ladies! I am so glad i found this thread on metformin. i just started taking it about a week ago. i need to lose a lot of weight - about 80lbs. i have been dieting and exercising like crazy and ive only lost about 2lbs in 2 months, which is nowhere near enough for me. i have pcos and metabolic syndrome, so my dr suggested metformin. i just wanted to know if this will help me lose weight...? and if so, how much do you think is the average?
I was diagnosed with Insulin resistance this past friday. I was put on metformin ER and have a thyroid problem, AND have Anemia........I was wondering if this combo is bad...I mean doesnt it cause Vit. B12 def? Anyways, has anyone who is I.Resistant lost any weight using this? Just curious.
I have been taking 500mg of metformin ER for over a year now. I haven't lost any weight, but I do feel like it helps me keep the smallest amount of control over my weight gain. Has anyone lost weight taking 1000mg? Is 500 just not enough? Would love hear from you.
You can also email me.
mindy_225***@****
I’m in pre-diabetes denial.  I was prescribed Metformin (“MET”) almost 3 weeks ago.  I’ve been taking it about two weeks.  I wasn’t going to take it until my doctor said it will help me lose weight.  Within the first 3 days I became violently ill.  Food poising like symptoms.  I don’t know if it was the MET or bad sushi.   My mother (my roommate) is a diabetic so; we’ve been eating our meals based on her diet.  LOW CARBS, NO SUGAR, lots of salmon and chicken.  

When I do fall off the wagon, the sugar does upset my stomach.  So, no more refined sugar for me.  I use replacements like Agave Nectar (light), honey crisp apples or Vita waters for my sweet tooth.  Had to cut out Blended Espressos with Caramel too.  I read somewhere that bakery goods and foods made with flour are no very good for us either.

I’ve only lost about 1.5 lbs but I have noticed a decrease in belly and butt fat.  I sit more comfortably and can bend forward without squishing my insides.  All of my fat is centered at my mid-section and chest.

I try to have a small salad at 3pm every day to keep me going, but like one of you mentioned, you forget to eat sometimes due to the MET.  So when I do forget to eat in the in the afternoon causing my sugar go low, I keep the Agave Nectar at my desk or carry an apple with me (Balance Bars are nice too).

I’m starting back with exercise and taking stairs whenever possible.  I’m just going to walk for now, until I get used to the MET.

Don’t forget to drink a lot of water, the MET causes me to dehydrate.

Keep writing, and good health to you all.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have to be Pre-Diabetic or insulin resistant or lastly have PCOS to get on the med. you cant just go in and say you would like to be put on it.Because the whole point of it is for it to help your body accept insulin so it can get obsorbed,and people with insulin resistance and PCOS  are usually over weight and its sapose to help control your weight if not make you loose some.

I have not taken this medication yet but I was recent diagnoised with PCOS and the dr. wants to put me on this med. I want to have children so will this help me regulate my periods to become pregnant??? Do I have to get off of this med to get pregnant??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metformin will not help to regulate your periods it is for a totally different cause,most people with PCOS also are pre-diabetic which is the cause of the PCOS in the first place. Birth control is usually what you are put on too, to try and get your periods going right. If you dont have a period at all then they will give you a hormone for 7-10 days to force your body to have one. PCOS will make it harder to have children but that dosent mean that you can not try or in fact have them it all depends on your situation....and I dont think the pills would be in the way if you were trying to get pregnant but once you find that you are then you would probably want to talk to your doctor about wether or not they think it would be in your best intrest to stay on them or not.First thing is first get healthy and make sure everything is under control and periods are regulated befor you try to have a child because if not things could get more diffacult,and if you find that you cannot have children on your own there are pills and stuff they can put you on and that mite just solve the problem but then you mite get multi births lol so hope this helped alittle
thanks
What mg are you taking? I am on 500 mg and it has done nothing for weight loss. It actually constipated me for the first few days and gave me heartburn and chest pain. I don't know if that is normal or not. My doctor says I am insulin resistant and he thinks this will help me loss weight. Should I ask to increase it? Or is it to soon?
I am on the lowest mg 500 i think and i have been on it a little over a month now and it may have helped me loose maybe 5pounds but nothing more so far. Its not a weight loss pill but it is known to help some people loose weight not telling how much but it will help some. It helps you because the pill is for insulin resistance and once your body starts excepting sugar again it helps you burn it and everything appose to the sugar just sitting in your body causing you to gain weight because its not going to the proper cells. The pill does have its side affects but if you think its something abnormal then you should probably just talk to your doc about it and clear it up if it continues. You have to give the pill a chance and let your body get use to it befor you increase the dose your doc will also tell you about that if you ask,but give it a chance its not a miracle pill but it will help you if you take it properly and diet and excercise heck that may help even more.
Good luck

Leslie D.
Hi - I need to lose about 60-70 lbs. I have an underactive thyroid and am on levoxyl (SP?) - Anyway I have been jogging 4 miles  3x/week + 1 hour of weights at the gym and have a trainer. - I can't lose any weight! I fluctuate between a loss of 1-2 lbs but thats it....The workouts have reduced my cholest. and my Thyroid is norm. - my mean blood glucose is 101. When I was in my 20's I did a sugar test because I was having trouble with sugar in general - the test back then (coke syrup and blood tests) - showed that I had trouble absorbing sugar - basically it hung out in my blood stream a lot longer and I did not absorb it as fast. When I had my 2nd child in my mid 30's I became a gestational  diabetic. The doc most recently perscribed Metformin - but I am not a full out diabetic and have never taken insulin - in fact while preg. I did not have to take it - I just had to monitor my blood sugar often and control it - really well with diet. - Has anyone had any expereice taking this as just a weight loss drug and are their serious side effects - if your not a full blown diabetic? My doc mentioned nothing about PCOS - I was recently 2 weeks late with my period (not preg. and tests showed not peri menopause)...I'm really nervous taking this stuff...I'm 5'3" and weight 180 and most of my weight is on my thighs and stomach....any experience with this stuff as a non diabetic for weight loss I would love to hear more....thanks  
Good evening everyone. I just started this medication yesterday. The doctor I saw prescribed it to me along with 7 days worth of medroxprogesterone (which is supposed to induce my period). My husband and I are trying to have a baby but I haven't had a regular period since I was about 18 (so 4 years). We've only been trying to get pregnant for 5 months but the concern laid in the fact that I don't get periods normally unless I'm on birth control. I have never been diagnosed with PCOS nor do I have diabetes but I am considered "overweight"/"obese" by medical standards. I put those words in italics because I personally believe that height/weight charts are laughable and it's no way to actually judge whether or not a person is at a healthy weight. I can guarantee that I will never weight 135 LBs. I certainly do need to lose some weight because I am carrying some unhealthy weight but I am one of those people who will never be thin or "height/weight proportionate".
At this point, the doctor is trying to induce the period and actually have it stay so that we know when I'm ovulating. I am also starting a new exercise regime. Seeing as I'm already a very healthy eater, I don't have to make too terribly many changes in my diet. I do not eat trans fat, try to stay away from a lot of enriched flour products (white bread etc), I eat little red meat and eat a lot of skinless boneless chicken and make sure to have at least 4 servings of fruits a day. I also try to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day. We'll see how all of this works...hopefully I'm successful. The doctor is shooting for a 5-10% weight loss. I have been quite successful at maintaining my weight with my diet alone so I am hoping that with the added exercise I will be able to accomplish this.
I don't know how effective it would be for someone that isn't being treated for diabetes, pcos, insulin resistance, etc.

In my personal experience it hasn't been a "magic diet pill" so to speak. Perhaps its because I am a diabetic. I have been taking this medication for a little over a year. I did not lose any weight initially but did notice it helped suppress my appetite.

It was only after I decided to completely cut out all drinks containing sugar & corn syrup from my diet that I noticed some weight loss. I also began to notice a reduction in cravings for other sweets. This made it a little easier to cut out most junk food. Once I adjusted to those changes I experienced less mood swings, and felt better overall. I continued making positive changes to my diet by eating healthier foods and rich or starchy foods only in moderation. Eventually, I made a full transition into a low carbohydrate lifestyle (better known as the "Dr. Atkins" dietary plan.) This above all, made the greatest impact on my weight loss (approx. 30lbs.)

I have a long way to go before I reach a "healthy" weight. However, I now understand that a healthy lifestyle is attainable. Although it hasn't always been easy for me, it has all been worth it. "Why?" because, I now realize I'm worth it.

I wish everyone good health, weight loss success, and happiness!!

Dez
A healthy lifestyle is what is important. If you have a healthy lifestyle, are active, have a good BP, blood sugar etc etc and you are at a steady weight...you are at a healthy weight. That is my non medical background but well researched opinion!

please e-mail me, I have some questions about your experience with metformin and your weight loss.
***@****
I noticed many people talking about taking Metformin BEFORE they eat to suppress appetite and then report stomach issues like vomiting.  Metformin is very hard on your empty stomach and must be taken WITH food for that very reason.  I wonder if eating something light and low calorie like carrots or something, and then taking the metformin, well before meals, would solve that problem?  I had been taking 1000mg a day for the past two months, and lost no weight, but doc says now that i'm starting 2000mg, i'll see a difference.