Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Metformin and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 401-600 comments:
Most of my family on my mother's side has some kind of health issues usually dealing with some form of diabetes, and I have throughout my life slowly gained weight no matter what (even frequent exercise and healthy diet) and being 5ft 8in and being nearly 280lbs makes life a little difficult.
Whenever I went to my nutritionist, all I normally got was a book with foods that I really only ate, and to stay away from sodas which I never had much of. I finally got some blood work done recently and received a letter stating that all the finished tests turned out at excellent levels, but they had yet to received my insulin levels. Few days latter it turns out that my insulin level was very high for fasting, and well my mother was happy I could place a medical reason to my heavy weight other than me being lazy and eating too much which I never really was or did.
My Dr. has suggested that I start Metformin. Not knowing what it was, I looked it up and found this form. Reading all your stories makes relived and confident enough to agree to talking it. Hopefully it will help reduce my weight as well as my insulin levels.
Thank you for sharing.
It is always great to know that there are others out there going through the same thing you are. If you are concerned about your weight, I highly recommend the weight tracker available on this sight. It is extremely helpful and allows you to see whats going on with your body during different events. You can always check mine out to see how its working.
Have been on Met for 3 1/2 weeks, for IR and weight loss.  11 lbs. down so far and am becoming convinced that this is going to work!  I'm seeing numbers on the scale I haven't seen in years!  WhoooHooooo!
I've been on Met for about 7 weeks now. I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type II. Had some similar things going on where I couldn't lose any weight and was getting sick more often than not. I also have Hypothyroidism which also makes it wonderfully hard to lose weight. Other weight loss alternatives and diets have never worked. They actually make me gain weight. Even on a 1200 calorie diet.

Any ways, after being diagnosed as type II many of my symptoms began to slowly retreat. A few weeks into taking the regimin the weight started to come off. So far I've dropped 17 lbs in this time frame. It began melting away before I even began working out.

With a good workout 4-5 days a week the weight loss can be even more.
What is even just as good is that with taking Met my blood glucose levels are now in the normal range and most of the issues I was having are gone. This is a lifestyle change that is taking place here with no fast gimicks for sure.
are you on synthroid and how much metformin are you taking
I was just told by my dr. that I needed to try Metformin er to try to lose the weight I've gained slowly over the last yr. and also to lower my glucose levels. I used to be around 100-105 fasting in the morning now I'm at 125-130 in the morning fasting for 12 hrs. I'm so discouraged and scared to go on this medicine that I will never be able to get off of it once I get my weight back down to a normal range somewhat and my numbers come down. Has anybody out there gone on the Metformin and been able to come off of it?? Also my doc said take it with my big meal at lunch cause I take a truckload of vitamins in the morn with breakfast. Have any of you taken it and gotton sick to your stomach. I'm going on the MetforminER. I hope that helps. I hate being nauseated. I'm really quite scared about this whole thing. Even though the dr. hasn't said that I'm diabetic for sure he said that now is the time to get the glucose under control or I'll be for sure having to take shots.. I saw my Mom die a slow death from Diabetes. It's a horrid disease and takes whatever it wants from you. She lost her sight, she lost her healthy heart and she was about to lose her feet when she passed away. Any advice out there would be appreciated as I'm very scared right now and I'm reaching out to find anything that has worked for anybody else. I really want to know if this Metformin is for life or just until I get my weight under control and my exercise routine established.. Thanks for anything you all can provide out there...
during the summer i started taking met. because i was having alot of trouble losing weight. as a teen i would love to have a nice body but the good advantage about me is that im really tall. alot of people get surprise when they know the amount i weight and say that you cant tell that i weigh that much. well exercised alot during the summer tryed my hardest but by the end i didnt lose anything...and i have know idea why. i recently went back to the doctor and was told that while im taking this medication im suppose be going to see him constantly. so im taking met again hoping that i will lose weight this time. i have only lost 3lbs...which is so upsetting:( well some people say im not fat but its just that im not comfortable with myself.....but im crossing my fingers that im going to actually lose at least 10-20 lbs(:
Hey Helen... do what you feel you need to do to be healthy.. that's the long and short of it. i have a tall daughter and she too is trying to lose weight however she does exercise every day and watches what she eats. She does not have PCOS or insulin resistance at all. I thank God for that. I sure hope that the Metformin helps me to drop this extra weight that I'm carrying cause I'm not in my teens and i am just not dropping the weight I've gained the past year and 1/2. So the dr. tells me that this should help. I'm not looking forward to it but what will help I must do. I cannot keep this weight on or my sugar this high. I have to do something. So that being said I'll do what ever it takes to get it off. I'm exercising as well. So with all of this I sure hope it helps... you don't need to be skinny Helen. I'm sure you are beautiful just the way you are. You must focus on being healthy whatever weight that is and not focus on anything but being healthy in your weight loss. Good luck to you I"m sure you are going to do great. Keep on posting how things are going for you. I'll be anxious to hear about all of your success and YOU are going to have GREAT SUCCESS!!! take care of yourself and your health while you are young... sending you a hug and praying for your success... You are going to do GREAT!!!!
I have just started taking Metformin.  I am diabetic.  In my mind I am about 40 lbs overweight but my Dr. says 60lbs.  I am 6' 3 with broad sholders, long arms and legs but I have a lot of weight on my belly.  I have been on this medicine a week, I haven't lost any weight yet or seen a much of a reduction in my blood sugar levels yet.  How long does it take to see results?  I wasn't nervous about taking the medicine until I saw some of these postings.  It seems more serious than I originally considered and I am dissapointed with myself for not having better control or being more active. Has anyone had any side effects with this medicine in just 1 week?

Thanks for any tips,
Benton
Hello All,
I started taking Metformin at the beginning of last year - combined with healthier eating and exercise i lost about 16kgs. Sadly my sister passed away from a horrific death in September 2008 & since then I ate alot more & drank more champagne (not from being hungry to cope). Really I should have gained at least another 20 to 30kgs with everything I consumed but only gained 5kgs. I believe this was from being on the Metformin medication as it helps pull out the stored fat so in time you don't regain the weight as you once did. My specialist told me when I first started taking it that it reduces your appetite and helps pull out the stored fat resulting in you not gaining the weight. This has proven to be true. I am only now starting to exercise again so hopefully I can come back on here with a update about weight loss. But having only gained 5kgs really showed that you don't regain the weight back in the stored fat cells.
My Dr. says I am in the stages of early insulin resistance. He recommended low carb (100 grams a day) diet and exercise, and he wants to put me on a low dose (500mg ONCE a day) of Metformin. My PAI-1 levels are elevated as well.
I am a little nervous about beginning a medication that may cause nausea and diarrhea. However, perhaps those symptoms only occur with doses that are higher? Has anyone had bad side effects?
I am determined to do just diet and exercise, because I am not diabetic (yet).. My Dr. believes that the Metformin is key in keeping IR under control over the long term.
Ideas? thanks all!
How long did it take for some of you to start losing weight with met?  I've been on it about 2 months and all of a sudden one day i woke up and was 4 lbs down then the next day another 2.  This is very strange for me.  Of course I'm thinking it's something a little more serious like some sort of cancer or something.  Because it's been years since i've lost any amount of weight.  It's also a week before my cycle and I usually gain 2 or 3 lbs water from that.  So it may be more loss than just 5 lbs or so. Any comments?
I did start on the Met a week ago. I too was not told by my dr. that I was diabetic.... YET... however he said if I didn't get it under control I would be diabetic shortly.. Anyways.. in the last week... what I've noticed is that... I seem to be a little more hungry after taking the met... then when I eat.. I quickly get filled up.. Also... a little looseness in the bowels but not horrible. I have maybe lost 1 lb. this week... maybe... I have done exercise pretty much every day.. Basically just walking and tennis twice last week. The dr. told me to start with 500 mg. at a big meal like lunch. Because I was afraid of getting sick I would take it at dinner. I wanted to be home just in case. So far... not really alot of nausea. Just a little. I can't say that I've dropped alot of weight as yet but I hope too. My blood suger fasting was at 126. High too high... however after a week of being on the met... I took my blood sugar levels every day and they have steadily gone down. Yesterday I was at 106.. this morning at 100. I think that I can get this weight off if I remain vilgilent and then I fully intend on getting off of the met.. I really don't want me or my body to get dependent on it. That really scares me. I have too much in the way of meds that I have to take... I just don't want to add something else. Anyways.. I'll keep you posted. A miracle .... not really... just exercise watching what I eat to a t .... and getting proper sleep and taking the met. We'll see what lies ahead. i have been told by a few dr. friends of mine that if I do get this weight off and my blood sugar gets back under 100 consistantly that I can get off Met. We will have to see. time will tell.. Good luck and I'll keep you all posted... You guys keep doing the same... It's all going to be ok. It's just a matter of really watching what I eat and getting a mile of walking in at least a day that I don't play tennis already.
My  doctor said I was prediabetic and about 10 lbs overweight.  I started taking metaformin a week ago and so far have not lost any weight.  I've cut done on my intake of food...........I don't want to get disgusted.  How long before you saw some weight loss?
I have recently started met cause i have pcos. I didn't know bout the weight loss.  I haven't had any side effects yet; just told not to eat sweets. is there anything else that you are not supposed to eat? Also, is it safe to take diet pills while on met? I am not takin any but i was just wondering. Thanks and God Bless
My dr told me I have metabolic syndrome and PCOS. I started on Metformin about a week ago. The first few days I was also on a very strick almost no carb diet... I lost 8 lbs! However my blood sugar got way too low, so I am now still on metformin, but have lowered the dosage and my diet is not as strick, I have not put on anymore weight.. In fact I think I have lost another lb!  I have had some nausia. But besides that no other side effects, actually I feel really good and have energy that I haven't had in a long time!
Sorry, but I was on it for over two years and didn't lose any weight at all.  I was the same old me.  I don't think that there is any miracle drug to help you lose weight.  If you are a diabetic or have insulin issues than this is the drug for you.  If you are just overweight, than diet and exercise.
This coming from a slim and trim (sarcasm, btw) 220lb woman, however, i am NOT on metformin anymore and lost over 80lbs in the last year.
HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Today is my first day taking Metformin.....I'm 33 and I had my fourth  baby nine months ago and after this baby I've only lost a total of 14ds of 35 pds of post babt weight. Despite the 4 A.M workouts it has been a struggle........anyways, I'm 5'3 and I weigh 174 now and my goal weight is 135- 140pds. My pre-baby weight was 140,  So wish me luck!!!!!!
I have been taking metformin for about four weeks. I am taking it for weight loss. Two weeks ago, I had lost 6 pounds. I must say my pants are feeling a litte looser on me. At first, I had a little nausea, but when I take the pill with a full meal, I don't have nausea. I do have diarrhea some, but not bad. My major side effect is headaches and having to urinate more often. I haven't had to take my diuretic in a week. I also notice that some foods have a different test. I used to just crave sweets - peanut m&m's. Now, I could care less. I am not nearly as hungry. I sometimes have to make myself sleep. Right now, I go crazy for grapes, bananas and orange juice, which I guess is good.

I am so glad I finally a forum with people who take metform for weight loss. I wish everyone well.
I am in the same situation as most of you with the shocking pre diabetic warning.  I started Met about 3 weeks ago, I was so scared becuas of what other diabetics had told me, nausea, bloating, other issues like that.  I go some other opinions from pharmacists and after talking to another nurse friend in Seattle ( I am a school nurse) she told me that they give that off label in diet clinics.  I got sick the first day, then over the next teo days, took half dosages then built up to the BID.  In 2 weeks, I have lost 13 lbs already.  You need to cut out all sugar and really reduce carbs.  Youll be amazed.  Anyone who wants to know more can e-mail me at ajginsburg@y_____oo.com
I remember going to the clinic to pick up the Metformin. I was pretty leery about it from what others told me too. But looking back now, it wasn't all that bad. The initial stomach sickness was there for sure but went away after a week or so. Each time I would change the amount of Met taken it would start all over gain.

Now I notice if I don't take my dosage within an hour or so as routine I will get sick to my stomach again. That's probably just me though.
I agree with you. Cut out all sugar and lower your carb intake and the weight loss can take place. The first 30 lbs for me has just melted off. Good luck.
Hello, I just started Metformin today - 1500mg all taken with dinner. I'm a little nervous and hoping to find some help from those of you on here who have experience. I'm 26 years old and a vegan, 5'4" and 220lbs. I have IHH which is pretty similar to PCOS, and I also have hypothyroidism and am on 100mcg of Synthroid. I'm also just starting birth control (Yaz) after being on Estradiol treatment for almost a year. Being a vegan my doctor isn't too terribly concerned about me developing diabetes. My fertility specialist actually put me on this to see if it will help 1) regulate my cycles and prepare me for pregnancy and 2) help me lose weight. I've been vegan for at least 5 years, vegetarian for a few years before that. My main question for the forum is, what can I or should I eat? I already don't eat any meat, dairy or eggs, honey, white flour or sugar. Typically I eat 1000 - 1500 calories a day, all organic stuff like whole grain breads/pastas, veggies (my favorite is root veggies), fruits, beans, rices, tofu & other soy proteins, and I must admit I LOVE dark chocolate! I am sort of bad about skipping meals, and then later eating a single larger meal which I know I have to change. I am really unsure what to eat while on Metformin. I desperately want to maximize weight loss! It's been such a struggle to lose a pound, I am praying Metformin can help me, at least a little bit. I appreciate any responses!!!
HELLO EVERYONE!!!
This is week two and so far I have lost 6 lbs.....So yes, Metformin does work if you eat sensible and drink lots of water...........
i was diagnosed with PCOS so i was put on met almost a week ago, i have so far lost 7 lbs, but i have been eating REALLY healthy. 1300 calories a day, high protein diet. its always been so hard for me to lose weight, and when i did lose it, it felt like it would come right back on me a week later! im relieved to know now its not because i ate a lot or because i was lazy! but i will still continue to eat healthy and excercise because i do not want to be on meds forever.
I started Metformin in Sept. because I couldn't lose weight and my A1C was over 6 (mild diabetes). I worked up to 2000 mg a day. So far I have lost 20 lbs. I TRY to walk for 30 minutes at least 3x a week. (which should be more often but it is hard for me to do even this much with a bad knee).

I limit my carbs to 2 servings a day. (1 slice multi grain bread, 1/3 brown rice,etc.) I don't eat anything white (sugar, flour, salt). I don't count calories or carbs. I just am not hungry like I used to be and try to eat proteins (eggs, chicken, fish) and sugarfree desserts like pudding, when I am hungry.

It took 3 months to overcome the nausea, The 1st week on it  I was coma-like..slept all the time. But that went away. I do have occasional diarrhea still, (you never know how the metformin will hit you each day), but it is well worth being able to avoid full blown diabetes & the weight loss. The more I exercise the more I lose, but the average weight loss for me is less then 1 lb. a week. I needed to realistically lose 35-40 lbs, and I don't consider this a diet. It is my new way of life.  It is a matter of staying alive, healthier for longer and the ability to keep my legs and eye sight!
I just started Met. I had morning numbers for sugar at 117 and 119. After one week I am down 2 pounds, and sugar at 105 fasting. The medicine does make me feel lousy. Headache, just feel sick. Went to sleep for 3 hours freezing after the first pill. But I guess it is supposed to help. My sister went on it and phentermine and has lost about 60 pounds. I guess if others can do it so can I. If I keep loosing at this rate I should look good by summer. Hopefully the side effects will wear off soon.
Hi everyone!  I'm new to this forum but I wanted to first thank everyone for sharing their stories!  Such encouragement from strangers using the same medication is comforting!  I started Metformin today but for a different reason than anyone I've seen on here!  I was bitten by a tick over a year ago and was diagnosed first with Lyme and then with another tick-borne disease; Babesia!  It has absolutely turned my world upside down but I am hopeful that I will see a breakthrough soon!  My specialist has put me on Metformin in hopes that it will breakdown the sugar within my cells and help release the toxins that build up in my fat cells.  She said there has been great success in using this drug for this disease in other parts of the country!  I'm at the point that I will do anything to make it better!  I'm hoping in the process of all of this I can lose some weight!  I've never been a skinny person but this disease and meds up to this point have put on quite a few pounds.  I currently need to drop about 80 lbs!  

So here's good luck to all of you in the year 2010!  May you be able to conquer all that ails you and become healthier throughout the year!  I'll keep you posted on my success!!!
Hello! I was diagnosed Type II Diabetic in October and put on Metformin. I was leery of it because I already had GI issues with intermittent diahrrea and stomach upset. My doc had me start with one extended release pill (500mg) taken at night, and I did get diahrrea, but it went away after a week, so we upped it to two pills. I got diahrrea again, but it went away after a week. This was enough to get my blood sugars in range, so we stopped there for now. I didn't gain any weight through the holidays, but I didn't lose any either, so I assumed I was one of those folks who wouldn't experience weight loss from the Metformin. Then, voila! Since Christmas, I have lost 9 pounds! I'm not really doing anything different, but I am actually a pretty good eater to start with. My biggest problem is lack of exercise. So I decided to add exercise back into my life 3 X a week to start, and I began last Saturday. I'm hoping this addition will help the Metformin do its job, and I will be able to lose weight. I'm about 80 pounds overweight, but that's better than 89, which is what I was Dec. 25!! Good luck to everyone, and I'll be looking for all of your success stories.

Oh, one note....when I eat poorly, that is when I get stomach upset. If I eat well, I feel great.
J
Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you all for sharing your stories! Today was my first day on Metformin (500 mg for now, working up to 2000 mg). I have PCOS (diagnosed 18 years ago) and Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroidism. I alternate between 175 and 200 mcg of Synthroid every morning; Levora-28 for regulating menses; and now Metformin to help me lose weight. I am 30 years old, 5'0, and 150.4 lbs today at the doctor's office. I didn't start the battle with the weight until about 4-5 years ago when my weight shot up from a steady 115-120 to 130 then to 140 last year and now 150. :( When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism, some severe damage was already done: my speech was slurred, I had difficult walking from my car which was parked in front of my house to my front door, and I was rapidly losing muscle tone and had difficulty holding pens/pencils, I lost my hair, my eyes were sunken in, and well, in short, I was a hot mess. Things have improved since, but the battle with the weight remains.

I am going to be seeing a nutritionist in 4 weeks and until then, I've been instructed to limit my starch intake to 1 serving (1 C) per day and to get as much cardio exercise as possible.

I am hopeful that this will finally be the help I've needed.

Thank you all for sharing your personal experiences.

M
Hi everyone
I am 25 years old, & have just been diagnosed with PCOS & Insulin Resistance. My endocrinologist told me that my body produces more than double the normal amount of insulin. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years ago, but have always suspected that something else was really the cause of all of my symptoms. I have a few questions for anyone that can answer:
1. For those of you that have IR, do you have severe fatigue & muscle aches? Headaches? & has Metformin helped with any of that?
2. I have always eaten a pretty well balanced diet, but within the last year had my gallbladder removed & have had chronic diarrhea ever since, forcing me to cut out fatty & greasy foods. I started juicing fresh vegetables every day & cutting back on processed foods. Now that I am taking Metformin & trying to watch my carb & sugar intake, I'm having trouble figuring out what I am allowed to & not allowed to eat. How many carbs is to many & how many is not enough? & sugar? What should I definitely avoid, & what should I try to eat more of?
3. For those of you that are taking Metformin for weight loss, what is you diet like? & do you exercise, & if you do, how much?

I am 5'8 & 234 lbs. I have always been about 180 lbs until about 3 years ago when all of my symptoms progressed. I didn't know Metformin was also supposed to help with weight loss. I am really hoping it does help me.  
I have been on Metformin now for about a year and half and I gain weight most notably in the belly area.  I use the treadmill 30 minutes and stationary bile each for 30 minutes each evening and can not lose any weight around my waist line.  I am 6' 1" and weigh 203 pounds.  I take 250 mg in the morning and 250 in the evening.  Any suggestions as to when or how much I should taking would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, my blood sugar fast in the am is in the 120 and 100 or below in the evening.
Hello everyone!...I have just started taking Metformin (again) which I had stopped taking last yr (500mlg 3x a day) for PCOS and IR menses...the past 10mos I have gained a significant amount of weight...I am weighing 164 right now, I am 5'6...whereas I am usually about 130....I had gained this weight over the past 10mos and I'm wondering if it because I stopped taking my metformin...anyways, I am now on day 1 back on Metformin and on day 5 of healthy eating (low carbs, no sugars) and slowly getting back into exercising again...I hope to lose 35lbs by May....wish me luck!....oh and of course to regulate my cycles (which this medication does wonders for me)......
I have been controlling my diabetes for 25 years with diet and exercise, but at my last doctor appointment my HA1C came back at 7.1 so I was given Metformin.  Reluctantly I filled the prescription and started taking the medicine yesterday.  I would love to drop 20 lbs. but despite healthy eating and exercise 7 days a week, nothing has worked.  I searched the Internet and found users that gained weight and lost weight.  Well, so far I am amazed that my appetite has disappeared.  I literally had to force myself to consume dinner last night after skipping lunch.  I had one pancake at 6 AM today and tried to eat a cup of soup and 1/2 sandwhich for lunch.  I threw the soup out....I wasn't hungry.  If this continues, I suspect I will lose those 20 lbs. and I will give this med rave reviews.  I will keep you posted.  Ellyart
My 16 yr old dau has been struggling w/PCOS + GERD for about 3 years.  We are scheduled to go back to the pediatrician next week, to TRY! to get some insulin regulating medication.  My dau was in tears at the doctor last week when she hit 190 on their scale (ht. 5 ft 5 inches) for the first time despite an extraordinary effort to be fit and watch what she eats.

I am very frustrated at the run-around we have gotten from our providers.  I had to really get ugly and INSIST on a referral after 2 yrs of no help from the family doctors ("exercise!  lower carbs!  don't stress!")  and too much missed school- but they flat out refused an endocrinology referral and would only tell us to go see an OB.  I have no idea what that's about b/c we don't have insurance limitations.

We have seen the OB and are on a second effort w/birth control pills but my dau does not see any improvement in the acne, spare tire, excessive sweating, excessive hair, darkened skin in armpits...we were in ER this time last year w/a ruptured ovarian cyst.  When we do see the OB she says she won't order hypoglycemic meds unless a woman is having fertility problems...I don't know what it takes to get the metformin ordered! or to an endocrinologist!

My dau is very frustrated as well and getting depressed about the situation.  She will have Senior Pictures this summer and wants to lose this extra weight by then!  We have an extremely healthy lifestyle and although her dad is overweight per the BMI chart, no one else in the family hits the obesity mark- and we all eat the same and allvthe kids have a very high level of activity as high school athletes. (I have been doing whole foods and no unreasonable carbs in my house for 4 yrs.  That's not it.)

If there is a specialty that encompasses ALL aspects of this problem that you have found success with, please post the info.  Despite my medical background, I am getting no-where fast and ?wonder if there is a prejudice against those who research and question their providers b/c I surely don't seem to get far w/them as far as best practice discussions.

Wish us luck Wednesday morning at ten a.m.! If we get the med, I will keep updates coming on any progress or lack thereof!
So I've known I have PCOS for years, my only real symptom is hirutism and I'm overweight.  I've been able to lose weight on my own forever but I've boomed up to 246 in the last year.  I've been on Weight Watchers since January 1 and have been losing a good 3 pounds a week and last week my doctor asked me again to try Met, I've said no each time worried about the side effects but this time I tried it out....from day 1 I've lost over half a pound a day along with doing the WW.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up that this pace of weight loss will continue but it would be so nice.  I've had a little diarreah (diarrhea) and upset stomach but my appetite is decreased immensely. It's been encouraging reading so many stories on here about weight loss.
I have been taking metformin for about 3 weeks, but I also have been taking Byetta with it as well for about 2 months.  This was given to me by my doctor.  I lost 15 pound in 4 weeks which is great.  Both of these meds work wonderful together I would recommend anyone who is taking metformin to also take the Byetta shot with it as well.. I take the shot 2 x's a day....Please go see your doctor and see if this could be a great option for you as well....

Thanks for listening
Van Williams
Hello all.  I am so glad to have found this message board!  My dr has wanted to put me on metformin for about 3 years, each time I've been able to get my A1C down but recently hasn't been as easy as before.  My fasting levels are the ones I'm having the most issues with, and I can't seem to lose weight no matter what I do..I lose the same 5 lbs over and over.  

My question is...once you start taking met, can you get off of it?
I just started on Metformin today. I am 70 lbs over weight and have elevated sugar levels. My Dr. suggested that I take this drub for weight loss and sugar reduction. Hope it helps, will update on my progress. This forum is really uplifting to people.
i start metformin tomorrow. to loose weight and ttc... does anyone have any suggestions on the weight loss. i know low carb diet. but exactly how to do this is beyond me.. please any advice will help
I just started taking Metformin for weight loss last week, only 500mlg per day for the first week and will start 1000mlg tomorrow.  The first day I had a little stomach ache and mild diahrrea, but have since then been really constipated.  Has anyone else had this problem?  No weight loss thus far, but the doc said it could take a few weeks to a month.  I'm curious to know how quickly weight loss began for some of you?
I started on the Metformin last Nov. Since that time I have lost about 15 lbs with 25 more to go at least. My sugar levels fasting have improved slightly and are now around 100 - 117 at times in the morning. That is on 2 500mg. pills a day. My eating and overeating has improved greatly. I'm definately not as hungry as I ususally am. I really need to get my numbers down by April. That's when I have the blood tests again to see where my A1C is at. It was at 7.1 in Oct. I have to assume that has come down in the 6's I hope. Diabetes is a very horrid disease and I don't want to have to go on shots ever. I'm exercising only 2 times a week and I need to up that. The dr. has said at least walk for a half hour a day. Obviously i have to do it on a treadmill with all the snow we've been having here. so I will get back to you all in May when I get my numbers back. Honestly I had 1 and only1 piece of candy during the holidays and nothing else. I made a very tastey dessert yesterday for the super bowl and my husband said it was the richest thing he's ever eaten.. I on the other hand didn't even take a bite. I'm too scared of getting full blown diabetes and I will do anything it takes to stay off insulin. Everyone out there keep the faith.. Every now and then the Metformin makes me get loose in the bowels and sick to my stomach but if I take it with enough food I'm generally ok. My Mom many years ago I thought said she started on oral insulin.. Now the pharmasists say there is no such thing.. Has anyone else heard of oral insulin cause Metformin is definately NOT oral insulin. Also... has anybody out there ever come off Metformin and been successful in keeping their fasting glucose below 100 without it.. That is a goal of mine which I sure hope one day I can achieve... Good luck everyone and keep posting!!!
I am new to this forum and researching weight loss.  My doctor prescribed metformin recently due to a 115 fasting blood sugar.  I am pre-diabetic and about 70 lbs overweight.  I only took a half pill and was sick, nauseated, for over 24 hours straight.  There is no way I can take a medicine that makes me feel sick like this.  I can see how a person would lose weight...too sick to eat.  Anyway, from reading the posts here I didn't see any mention of this side effect.  Internet research indicated this side effect as common.  Was everyone here able to tolerate this medicine without experiencing this side effect?
Usually these side effects should go away over time.  Increase your dosage over time, once you aren't getting sick from the dosage your taking. You'll probably get the same side effects each time you increase your dosage.....but they should go away eventually.  Good Luck!!
I have read that cutting the tablets in half releases the medication faster and is more likely to cause these harsher side effects. I start with 1 pill for 2 weeks then 2 pills daily and do experience diarrhea after having heavy or greasy meals (i know you shouldnt but i forgot as i went back on it after 6 months). Nausea and other side effects are usually experienced only in the first few weeks so i know its bad but they should get better as you increase time and dosage.
Hi the ideal plate should be half veggies, quarter carbs (brown rice, brown pasta, potato (boiled/baked)) and a quarter protein (fish, turkey, chicken) - ive given examples of the lowest calories and best for you. For lunch you could have a salad or baked potato with some protein (tuna, chicken, tofu etc) or soup with brown bread/crackers if you like something extra, eggs are good proteins but higher in cals so maybe every other morning you could have poached or boiled eggs with brown toast/potatoes. Other breakfast suggestions are porridge with low fat milk and maybe honey or fruit, museli is good, if you plan to have bread later try to stay away from bagels, toast or pasteries in the morning. Protein should be something you have as a main feature in your meals as its a slow releasing energy source though be aware pork and beef can be high in calories. Yogurts are good filling snacks (or a part of a meal like with fruit or ceral for breakfast). Another thing I wasnt aware of when changing my diet is its far better to eat a piece of fruit then drink juice as that is high in sugar and calories and you dont get the nuitrients of the flesh. Hope this helps x
Hi im new to the forum and from the UK so had no problems getting on Metaformin at an early age but reading your post i am just curious how its going?
It is so frustrating to read how the weight is just "melting off" some folks. I have been on Metformin now for nearly a month, and on natural desicated thyroid for two weeks. I have the energy to exercise again but I haven't lost even an ounce. I eat around 40 or less grams of carbs per day and usually eat few grains if any at all. I'm glad Metformin is helping some folks. I'm going to keep taking it because I have high fasting glucose, which obviously isn't related to my diet given the fact that I never eat sugar or most carbs(I have SIBO so sugar just makes me sick anyway.) But I suppose there is no hope for me to lose this weight?
Hi, I am so relieved after reading this forum. I am 19 years old, have been over 200 lbs since I was 12, have had irregular periods since I started puberty, exercise constantly and never drop a pound, and even when I cut my calorie intake in half I gained weight. I have a huge problem with sugar, eating it, not eating it, I am either extremely hyper and on edge or dizzy and out of it. I finally found a doctor that tested the right thing in my blood and immediately suggested Metformin. I was nervous at first, but now I am really excited to start (I get it in 3 days!). I was nervous after reading about the diet you must go on when you start Met. I live in the dorms and eat in the dining hall and order in with my friends. I am afraid I will go carb crazy after depriving myself. Has anyone else my age tried Metformin? Or am I thinking that it will be harder than it actually is?

Thanks,
Jenn

Im 22, have tried it at 21 too but didnt actively change my diet as although I wanted weight loss it wasnt that high a priority. This time I am changing and trying to do better - have cut out all fizzy drinks except for one can/glass a week (im proud of this cos its probably 10 years since I went a day without several which is terrible). Have introduced more vegetables (fruit is hard because I have an intolerance to acidic juice and its so sharp after not having it for ages, yes my diet was appalling).

It is hard not to have so many carbs, Ive struggled the last couple of weeks as I have other health problems and when Im 'ill' I just give in which is stupid. And 'ordering in' - Im British and I think youre American, we call this a takeaway - is difficult but only if you dont really want to be healthier and change. There are better options on menus, fish/chicken/turkey being better than pork or beef and brown rice/pasta/bread being the better carbs. You shouldnt cut out treats but limit yourself to once a week for ordering in or twice in some special occassions as long as you portion control: give yourself half a plate veggies, quarter protein and a quarter carbs. Then you can have what you like but lower the negative effects. Plus if you know youre going to do this later then have soup for lunch with either a small bit of wholemeal bread or a couple of crackers or on its own. Protein is a source of slow releasing energy - a good alternative to carbs so if youre not having vegetables at lunch then try to make sure you have at least as much protein as carbs or count fruit as part of the meal not the snack and eat a smaller portion of carbs then finish filling up with an apple and some grapes etc. Snack on raw vegetables and if you like, use dips but check the contents (these are simple to make at home but if youre in dorms i dont think theyre like British ones - you just have like a microwave and fridge right?).

I am struggling because my diet was so bad so the ideal would be a radical change but have only been on Met this time for a month so will try harder and do better.

Hope this helps.
I have been suffering with PCOS since I was 11. I have had a weight problem even though I was extremely active. Now I have a desk job and things are even harder. I was desperate and wanted to really understand what PCOS was and how it was impacting my body. Ok, so I have cysts on my overies, extra weight all over my body and a small amount of facial hair on my chin. Oh, and I was not sleeping very well either. To compound it all, My OBGYN found that I had a thyroid issue. I had been checked several times in the past and nothing. Now what am I supposed to do with all of this working against me?? I ended up reading the book Breakthrough by Suzanne Somers. I learned a lot about my body but more importantly, I found a doctor that would actually test for all of the things that were causing my PCOS symptoms.

First thing, my thyroid was damaged by Bromine. I have a hot tub and switched it from chlorine to bromine. I felt really bad every time I got out. I had another friend go through the same thing. I went Hypo and she went Hyperthyroid. STAY AWAY FROM BROMINE!! If you have been in a pool or hot tub and think it may have been bromine and your skin is drier than normal and you are loosing hair please have your thyroid checked.

Second, I found a doctor listed in the back of the Breakthrough book. She tested all of my hormones. PCOS is all about your hormones. I had very low Progesterone levels. Apparently have for all my life. I take 200mcg 21 days of the month. I immediately started feeling better and I sleep like a BABY!

The next thing we tackled together was my estrogen levels. There are 3 types of estrogen. News to me, but they each need to be balanced. One of them was really high. I am now on a natural herb Tumeric/circumin which attracts this estrogen and helps you eliminate the excess. Again feeling much better.

Now my weight. I have been struggling with it forever. We have progressively adjusted my thyroid meds. I am on 137 mcg of T4 and also take 20 mcg of T3. My body does not properly convert the T4 to T3 so we are adding a little to the other side to help. In order to help my body convert the thyroid properly, my doctor wants to try the Metformin. I tried it several years ago and couldn't handle it. I just started again yeaterday taking one in the am for a week and then 2 a day after a week. So far so good. I hope I can tackle this.
Thank you all so much for sharing your own stories. And please educate yourself on what makes your body optimum. I am right there with all of you in that this is very hard. You can do it!! And don't settle for a doctor that does not pay attention to the details. It is the sum of all of the little things that will make you feel better!

I'm on Metformin because of weight loss, and my doctor told me about the different side effects it will cause. I've been on it for 2 days, and let me tell you...I was in the bathroom most if the day with loose stool! This side effect is normal, and it alllows all the toxins and waste to rid your body...which is a good thing:) Taking this medicine, should follow lost of water and low sugar intake to see much result. Everyone body is different, so everyone will show different results and progress!
All medicine takes awhile to show progress so be patience..and keep a journal for your doctor to refer back to. Good Luck Everyone!!!!
so i have PCOS, since july i have gained 30 lbs for no reason and i felt horrible all the time, tired groggy, fat uncomfortable. i eat healthy work out 5-6 days a week and i didnt get my period at all for 4 months and now get it for 1 day every 2 months. i started metformin days ago and can already feel a difference.. my dr said said take 2x a day 500mg breakfast and dinner. then she said we would increase it if i feel better. she is on vacation for 3 weeks though. is anyone taking it 3x a day? breakfast lunch and dinner?
how do you know if it is too much or not enough? i havent had any bad side effects
thx for your help
Hello to all. I started Metformin 500 ml slow release last night for weight loss.  I was anticipating feeling nauseated but it didn't happen. I have a fairly sensitive digestive system due to celiac and lactose intolerance so I was ready for anything.  
I want to stick to a healthy diet, smaller portions eating more often, less carbs, less fat and more veggies.  I will also limit my wine intake since it is probably the main thing that has contributed to recent weight gain.  
Taking Metformin will hopefully reduce certain "cravings" and also allow my body to work more efficiently.  Walking will start as a lifestyle change, but nothing  so extreme that I won't be able to stay with it on a long term basis. These are my plans and I am keeping my fingers crossed.  I wish all of you the very best in your pursuit for a healthier lifestyle and I also want to say how wonderful it is to have all of you just a keyboard away.
I started taking Metformin not for weight loss but for diabetes. So I take 1500mg's a day. In the beginning I was dropping 2 lbs every other day for about 4 months. Then it came to a screeching halt. So i really don't know if it was the Met or the fact that I changed my eating habits to compensate for the diabetes.

Six months later I haven't lost a lb in almost 4 weeks now. January 1st I started a workout program that I have stuck with completely. Which is 3 intense weight training days a week and 4 days of intensity interval trainings and 2 days of doing something physical. Anything. Either I plateaued because I need to change my routine already or I don't know. I would think if Metformin is really for weight loss too, that I would still be losing weight. So not totally bought on the fact that Met does this for everyone.
I was prescribed met on Jan 14 this year.  I have kept gaining mass amounts of weight and finally had it. I kept telling the drs. that something was not right.  Gaining 5 - 10 pounds a months.  Finally after insisting on blood work it was discovered that I was fighting Metabolic Syndrome with an already low thyroid.  Since starting met I have had no side effects and have lost about 16 pounds.  I have also changed my eating and lifestyle habits. I am not dieting but rather making healthier choices.  I haven't given up all of my favorites but I am aware of what I am eating.  I am 5'8 and started 2010 at 244#. Down to 225# already.  I am eating around 1500 cal a/day and keeping fat to 42 g or less.  I have been working with a nutritionist and she says I can actually go to 1800 cal. but I am seeing such a change.  Not so much #;s but I find my clothes are fitting better.  Metformin has definately made a difference in my life and I can tell if I don't take it.  I am on 500 3x daily.  This was the start up dosage.
Can you tell us a little more about the diet you're on?  I started Metformin 3 weeks ago and have yet to lose any weight.  I'm eating around 1500-1600 calories per day.  The doctor told me it could take a couple of months before I start seeing weight loss.  I'm just curious if you or anyone else has heard this?
Hi, I have been on Metformin since Sept. 2009.  I take 2000mg a day and my Dr. told me to start the Maintenance Phase of the South Beach diet.  I have lost 20lbs.  Good luck!
so it has been almost 1 week and i lost 6lbs on met, mostly in my stomach area which is where all my problems occured. I had never had an issue with weight gain especially around the abdomin (abdomen). I too all of a sudden gained 10lbs a month for 3 months before i was diagnosed with PCOS. I had every test imaginable done, the Dr's all swore i was pregnant even after negative pregnancy blood tests and 2 ultrasounds. I am glad i finally found the answers. I have always ate healthy and excersized so it has to be the met that is working :o) i still want to know why this happened to me though, just out of the blue?
Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS & IR 5yrs ago, the endocrinologist advised me that the best plan of action was to start taking Metformin and start the GI diet.
I thought if I just took the meds and continued eating as per normal (a diet high in carbs) everything would be fine...NOT...the meds made me soo sick...vomitting, diarrhea, nausea...it was not pretty...

5yrs later after doing endless research and visitng countless doctors, I've decided to get back on Met...it's my second wk and I'm sticking to it, I've worked my way up to 3x500mg a day...previously I could barely get through the day on 1x500mg...
I found by not consuming fatty, high carb, high sugary foods, it has greatly reduced all the horrible side effects associated with the meds...I did have McDonalds the other day and I paid the price...I was sooo sick...
I have also noticed that my appetite has been suppressed greatly and I don't crave sugar and junk food like I use to...I use to always have seconds, now I can barely get through my first meal...

I just hope I start to lose the weight and all the horrible symptoms associated with PCOS subside...being 28yo and having acne is not fun, so for all those other girls/ladies/women out there who suffer with this horrible condition I feel your pain and just remember that you are not alone...
I think it is important to watch carbs will on metformin. I noticed if I eat ice cream I am hungry more often. So I don't eat it. I have lost 10 lbs. I didn't realize it was from metformin. I take lots of medication. I do notice my apetite has decreased some. Again, if I stay away from certain carbs. I usually eat chicken, potatoes, eggs, bread, apples, almonds, cereal, milk, vegetables...sugarfree mocha's and biscotti. My diet doesn't very much. I do believe whole grains are best in breads and cereals. I use butter... too much sometimes and sour cream. Decaf chai tea with honey.  I don't eat lettuce because it make my stomach upset. Too much ruffage does that to me. I try to figure out what I can eat without upsetting my stomach. I take metformin to help control my blood sugar. I hope the weight loss continues. I was on meds for years for fibromyalgia which increased my hunger and I gained a significant amount of weight. We shall see.  
I was just diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia today and my doc prescribed Metformin. I've never been on anything other than antibiotics; never anything long term. She said my blood sugar was normal but my insulin was very high. I've put on almost 65 pounds in the last year and a half regardless of diet and exercise and I've just general felt exhausted, muddle headed, and hungry all the time despite a high fiber diet. I sincerely hope this works and if if helps with the weight as well, I'll be thrilled. Finding this page has given me a little extra hope.
I was prescriped Met. back in Oct 09 for weight loss and pcos. I was surprised when I went back to the Dr. 3 weeks later and I lost 12lds. And after that the weight seem to melt away. So far I'm about 40lds down. I really haven't change to much other than not having an appetite in the beginning and a little stomach upset, but that subsided when I would eat a little bit, take the Met. and finish my meal. I'm only on 500mg 2x a day. So far I'm happy with the results. This the first time in about 8yrs that I've been able to take this much weight off. As a matter of fact I've never lost this much weight before. It was so exciting when my clothes started falling off me and I was able to wear some things that I couldn't wear.
I started Met in Aug 09 taking 1500mg's a day. I immediately started to drop weight and lost about 35 lbs. For the past 2 months now I've actually gained about 5 lbs back while still maintaining the med intake. Plus I've incorporated a workout plan and changed my eating habits. So not sure why it took a dive in helping to drop weight.
It is very weird as how it helps some people and not others to lose weight. It just shows that each person is different in how this drug helps to do this.
I just started talking Glucophage ER this past Wednesday 3.24.10. My doctor prescribed me 1500mg a day. I am starting out with a 1/2 pill/day for the first week, whole pill/day for the next week, pill and a half/day for the following week and then up to two pills a day. I am really hoping that this weight will come off, I need to lose at least 60 pounds. I workout 3-5X's week so I'm hoping combined with the glucophage ER I can lose weight. All of these stories have been so helpful! Thanks guys!
Hello All~

I am 21 y.o. and just started Metformin again today.  I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 and had started Metformin then.  At that time I was prescribed either 1000 or 1500 mg a day, I can't quite remember, but I had some bad side effects and would randomly vomit.  However I was young and irresponsible with taking it on a regular basis and with food.  Over the past few years I lost 45lbs doing weight watchers and went from 178 to 134 (I'm 5' 6).  However, over the past year I have put on about 15lbs despite exercise and eating a healthy diet, I gain weight eating more than 1300 cals a day.  After seeing my doctor this week she put me back on Metformin, 2550mg (850mg 3 x a day).  

I am hoping to have good results this time.  I am not going to rush the dosages and be sure to only take one pill the first week, 2 the second and then 3 the third.  I am also going to really amp up my exercise plan and really cut calories to hopefully lose some weight fast and then hopefully the Metformin, along with a health diet and exercise, will help me maintain a weight I am happy with (around 135).  

Throughout all my years of weight struggles I know there is no quick fix, if there was none of us would have weight issues.  With a good diet, or more importantly life style change, and a little Metformin hopefully we can all meet our weight and health goals.
my doctor has put me on met 1000 i was scared to take it, but now after reading these comments i have gained some hope..n want to take the medication from tom...

Well I have struggled my entire life with my cycles and weight. No one... I repeat.. NO ONE ever mentioned PCOS. I had no idea that it even existed. I am 31 years old and have been miserable for years!  

The last year has been dreadful so i went to a nurse practitioner here in my town.  I fell apart in her office and cried like a baby. I had gained 25 pounds more for no reason what so ever, couldn't sleep, acne, I sweated all the time. I was HOT everywhere I went. I would spend an hour getting ready then within 15 minutes of leaving the house (my cool zone) my hair was flat and I was drenched in sweat. My periods had completely vanished, my legs were swelled, and so on and so on... all this = one miserable woman.

She (the nurse practitioner) mentioned that I had the symptoms of PCOS. OH MY WORD... did I EVER!  She put me on metformin 750 extended release. Dramatic difference!!  I mean come on ppl!  Why is this disease not more known? I have had years of suffering when apparently PCOS was the major problem all along..

Since beginning the medicine I have dropped 16 pounds, actually had a heater running at my desk over these last few cold months, my acne had improved, and the insomnia is somewhat better. I have had a cycle now for 2 months in a row. WORLD RECORD!!  for me. I actually feel like exercising which is a feat in itself. We have just upped my dosage to twice a day today. I'm sure it will upset my stomach for a few days but hey... its so worth the inconvenience for a few days to find relief over all.

Glad to know I'm not alone in this battle. I just hate that I have wasted so much time just not knowing what was wrong. It makes me angry at doctors who fly in and out of the exam room so fast that they don't hear your concerns about your health. LISTEN to the patients !!  Fix their problem if you possibly can. PCOS has so many health issues that can lead to worse health problems if not treated.

Good luck to everyone who is battling these problems. I hope the metformin helps you get back your life as well.
Hi, just started Metformin. My post went to the main page, meant for here. Just joined. Anyone know the diff between Met HCL and Met ER? The HCL makes me feel really GREAT for maybe 1-2 minutes then fades, gone.
When I was 14YO my height shot up to almost 6 feet. My shoulders widened and suddenly the girls were looking at me real hungry like scared the jesus out of me so I started eating more from nervousness. But before I lost my great shape I had a 27 inch waist. I work out and that waist is still there. I can feel it.

I'm 58 now & that waist was a long time ago but the genes kicked in & the thyroid I inherited from the wrong parent poisoned me with wrong chemicals for my body.I took the Unithroid and Levothyroxine for years, but my body was REJECTING OF THEM. After 40+ YEARS of doctors not giving a d*mn about my increasing weight I'm still in the boxing ring swinging... and I have found a new doctor who has given me my shot at that 27 inch waist by giving me Metformin.

What gets me is that I had to come so close to death with high bp and stopped up diabetes fat for a doctor to give me MEDICAL HELP, because they are all on such an EGO TRIP telling other males how defective they are not being MAN ENOUGH to drop some fat weight... all my life I have had an awesome willpower even WITHOUT THYROID ENERGY but the doctors took every opportunity to pistol whip me in a chair insulting me an obvious lack of willpower. My life has been greatly restricted by male doctors getting their rocks off from insulting me shoving a recipe sheet across the desk and in my face.

About 6 months ago I searched & searched out the BEST diet ai products money can buy. I found three, and the only reason they haven't been able to work was because my body wasn't having Metformin. Now that a doctor has stepped out of his ego long enough to diagnose me properly I have those 3 superior weightloss products in my quiver they are #1 Anoretix #2 Leptorexin and #3 72-Hour Slimming Formula.

I also discovered that my body has been host to many bacteria and viruses, not the least of which was the Lyme's disease spirocheates called Borelli, so when I HARD DIET I expect my body to use these critters as a FOOD SOURCE. Something else you should ALL KNOW from my extensive research is that we have elevated levels of C-RP protein being produced in our bellyfat! (Creative-Reactive Protein). When we diet it causes a rise of C-RP that can KILL US an instant heart attack from too much concentrated C-RP in our blood, right? Technically, we are not supposed to diet unless we are in a hospital bed with a nurse checking our blood level of C-RP EVERY TWO HOURS.

That big lump of fat on our waist is acting as a GLAND producing this C-RP and also all the cortisol... but I seem to have mastered the ability to use the C-RP as a FOOD SOURCE MY PROTEIN, and the viruses and bacteria are a very energetic food source also, so I have been able to get past the need for having it checked every two hours in fear of death. FEAR NOT my new friends. We now have the help we needed. Go forward in FAITH that your body will consume every part of you that isn't YOU as you diet... and that's a lot more stuff than simple body fat.
Proceed with caution at first. Keep your protein up to prevent muscle loss. Get some Wheat Germ Oil to keep your joints all lubricated. WG Oil contains the nutrition of the wheat kernels. It may very well prevent fibromyalgia, or at least lessen the pain a lot.

Olive Oil contains a special protein -recent research has revealed- that encourages the body to produce its own hyaluronic acid, the miracle supplement that is in so many arthritis products. Coconut Oil strengthens the thyroid gland, most people know that, but it is also a natural anti-microbial that helps prevent dental caries.

All these great oils contain CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) so they encourage muscle growth PLUS being protein. Adding them to our diet helps but too much is dangerous because they can cross-combine in the blood forming a "chemical spiderweb" that is a cure for HEMOPHILIA... except that people without hemophilia can abnormally thicken their blood. So what I do is every couple days take a teaspoon of one, wait a couple days, take a teaspoon of another oil, like that.

I inherited an awesome type of arthritis common to Rileys that had me all crippled up by age 30. That was when I read about Wheat Germ Oil in Prevention magazine. My life without the right thyroid gland was destined to be a very crummy existence but with the nutrients from wheat germ kernels I stopped the arthritis. Come to find out what I had was the missing thyroid hormones, which kept my Body temperature barely above HYPOTHERMIA plus gave me symptoms of many various disease syndromes...  One of the medical fallout issues from all that was a light case of Myasthenia Gravis, a muscle-wasting disease. This caused my bones to not have the proper muscle covering, resulting in a temperature drop inside the joints, even my ribs & skull & spine.

Once I got the wheat germ oil in me I was able to bring a lot of this garbage to a better level. The "arthritis" I inherited was a lot more than any simple word implies. I got body slammed at conception with an anvil that kept hitting me all my life, so when I went to doctors asking -BEGGING- for their help and received ATTITUDE stemming from their MALE EGO well, I just didn't need that.

Needless to say those physicians forced me to become my own doctor, not the other way around as they say I did, striking out to "be somebody". I was trying to stay ALIVE.

Creatine Monohydrate has helped alleviate the Myasthenia Gravis, alone or combined in a product called Arginine Power Super Stack. Myasthenia has also affected my eyes, so I have barely read more than a few books in my life through. But for some reason I do much better with the computer monitors having the backlighted text and have made up a lifetime of lost time to "cross the finish line" to help others =>

In the course of my survival I was blessed to come to understand how to harness the energy of Gravity, having now designed multiple shapes that I call "Gravity Wheels" and am nearing several successes. They spin continuously to one day -I hope- provide your home with electricity by spinning a generator. Before the gravity wheels I was blessed to design car engines that use not a lick of fuel >>> instead making its own combination "fuel" like a canned tornado (super cold liquid air injected into a steam-filled cylinder) and many other engines.

But my best discoveries were these having to do with nutrition and disease. One day, perhaps when "the Meek shall inherit the Earth" comes true, my engine systems producing zero pollutants will eventually be everyone's to use, that is my hope. G*d will spread his tent to mankind at that time once again.
Further research has turned up several pages explaining how expectant Moms trying to hold down their weight gain during pregnancy (or addictions that reduce appetite as my Mom did) is rather responsible for insulin resistance, pancreas insulin over- production leading to heart disease of all kinds, and cancer. Being new to these forums I don't know if they allow links so I'll avoid being bleeped.

The page I found explains that premature "preemie" babies have a very much increased fallout of all these diseases. Ob-Gyn doctors began telling women not to gain much weight while pregnant, beginning back in the 1970's as I recall. So that's perhaps where America's entire obesity & poor health began.

If this was a Perfect World the doctors would have been correct, but in real-time practice given our American food it was a poor idea. Low consumption of nutrient-depleted food has brought these problems down our chimney.
I am a type one diabetic for over fourty years ,I'm 49 now ,I never had a real weight problem until now I have gained close to 80 pounds in the last 6 years and it will not come off,my diet and insulin has been adjusted many time and the weight still keeps creaping on.I find it so hard to do things I used to do even putting shoes on.Has anyone out there tried metformin with type one diabetis?   Bev
I was prescribed Metformin today by my OB/GYN.  For almost a year now I have had trouble with my cycle.  In Sept of '09 I started a period that didn't end until I had a D&C in January of this year.  The biopsy results showed nothing to be alarmed about other than high estrogen.  After the D&C I went 6 weeks without a period and then it didn't want to end.  After 3 weeks I went back to the doctor and he prescribed progesterone.  I took it for 10 days and bled throughout that time.  I finally stopped 2 days after stopping the progesterone.  During all of this, I developed severe anemia.  I had a blood transfusion in January a few days before the D&C.  After this last bout of bleeding my iron dropped yet again.  The doctor's first thoughts on how to control my issues was to either do a uterine ablation or a hysterectomy.  We have two children, ages 7 and 4, but are hoping for one more.  Upon learning that we have been trying to conceive for nearly 2 years now the doctor decided that what I really need is to get pregnant and then, after the pregnancy, if my problems return that we can discuss the above two options since after one more, I feel our family will be complete and I won't be concerned with a procedure that causes me to lose my fertility.  I turned 36 this year and to be honest, I like my children spaced out a bit so one more baby is all I can handle at my age, though I must say, I don't feel that old.  (and I love run-on sentences, can you tell?)  Anyway, he gave me Metformin, Clomid, a prenatal vitamin and told me to continue with my iron supplements.  

I keep reading on here that Met shouldn't be prescribed unless it is for PCOS or diabetes.  I am neither diabetic nor do I have PCOS.  However, I did have gestational diabetes with my youngest (possibly my oldest, I was never tested during that pregnancy) and I have exhibited symptoms of PCOS but I have never been diagnosed as having it (weight gain, facial hair, cystic ovaries, etc.) and considering I had pretty regular periods until a year ago the mention of PCOS has had me laughed at for the most part.  Anyway, the doctor gave the Met to me specifically to help me 'slim down'.  I'm 5'4 and weigh in the 230's.  I have gained most of the weight in the last 5 years.  

Anyway, at first I was concerned after reading that this med shouldn't be taken unless you are diabetic or have PCOS but I suppose I have a tendency towards both conditions considering the gestational diabetes and the PCOS symptoms.  I'm on 500mg 3x a day and hoping for the best.  My husband has been dealing with high cholesterol (he inherited it, his parents both have high cholesterol) and we have changed the way we eat in order to help improve his levels.  We eat exactly the same and he's lost 16 pounds in 3 months while I've gained a few.  We also get about the same amount of exercise so I'm frustrated that he's losing and I'm gaining.  I really hope this medicine helps me to control things!

Come to think of it, my last fasting glucose level was a bit high.  The doctor mentioned it off handedly but my anemia was so severe that the blood sugar levels kind of were forgotten about.  I just remembered.
I have struggled with this problem since I was thirteen were it first started my menses every month then gradually every other month the first thing I had was a estrogen called provera that help it to come on then after that it stopped. So the OBGYN dovtor told my mom the next best thing was the birth control pill to regulate it that helped but only while I was taking it. Now that I'm 28yo and married want to have children my cycle still doesnt come on until recently when i lost about 40lbs. But for the last two months its been off my dr has prescribed metformin to see if it will help this is my second day on the meds. I'm taking 500mg for two weekss once a day then 2 500mg a day after that. I'm hoping this will also continue my weight lost and help me to have a baby.

Ceda
i have been on met for 2 weeks now it is so nice i can eat without having to even be on a diet and have lost 23 lbs in two weeks. i have very high testirone and pcos the doctor put me on 500mg 3 times per day for those problems and told me once my testirone got leveled out and my pcos got fixed i would start to loose alot of weight and so far he is right this is so cool. i wish i would have got on it sooner so far i have went from 255 to 232
Hi, Ceda

WOW 40lbs, how did you manage to do that, I've been stuggling to shift my weight???
i have been taking med for 1 week 1 pound so far im dirting and axersicesing im having contipation  i dont know what to do no more
I want to thank all of you who post your thoughts and suggestions on this forum for it helps everyone greatly. I've been told that my sugar is high and if I don't get it under control I would eventually become diabetic. I also have hypothyroidism taking 125mcg/day for the past 13 yrs. Today is the first day on Metformin 500mg x2/day and so far no side effects. I'm 80 pounds over weight and the doctor said this med would aid in lowering my sugar and help me loss weight. I will stay hopeful and let you all know next week as to an update.
Hello All,

I have recently started Met for PCOS and IR. It has only been a couple of weeks and to be honest, I didn't take the medication as prescribed for the first week. For the last week, I have taken it as prescribed (500mg twice daily). The nausea is horrible and the diarrhea has me a little put off. I need to loose the weight though. I also take Spironolactone for PCOS and noticed that I lost about 10lbs the first two weeks, then began to gain the weight back (mostly in my torso) so the doctor added Metformin. I hope they work well together. I am very worried that I will continue to gain weight and have acne. This site is encouraging and I hope I will have the success that I see many here have had.
I have been taking Metformin for the past two months (possible PCOS, possible IR and for general weight loss). My dose is also 500mg twice daily. The first two-three times I took it I felt horrible: very nauseous, threw up a couple of times, had a bad head ache and could not even go to work.  However, after I started taking it with food or right after I ate I felt a lot better. I was amazed at how quickly it started to work, the very first time I took it (and after I stopped feeling nauseous ) we went to a sushi restaurant and I noticed that after I ate 1 roll I could not eat any more. I just felt full, and that has not happened to me for a long time. I also noticed some weight loss (lost 10 pounds and a couple of inches off my waist and hips).  Now, however, the weight loss had plateaued and I am feeling generally better. I started doing yoga and I also trying veganism for a month to see if I could stabilize my health so that I could get off meds (I have been an on/off vegetarian for the past couple of years). I was surprised at how many of you complained about diarreah (diarrhea), bloating and constipation with Met, I had the exact opposite experience: after I started taking Met all of these symptoms went away.  As of now, I weigh 210 pounds, but I expect to lose 1 lb a week.  I really do believe that Met works very well and that it can help many people lose weight, but I would not want to stay on it for too long. When I reach my ideal 143-145 pounds (I am 5’9) I would definitely try to get off Met and try to keep my weight the “natural” way.
I went to a medical weight loss clinic about 1 1/2 months ago. I have a genetic predesposition to be overweight. It is a struggle for the women in my family to maintain a healthy weight. My sister who is a personal trainer and competes in 1/2 Iron Man marathon who should be super fit and thin still holds on to and extra 10lbs. I am 5'5 and when I went to the clinic weighed 150lbs. The doctor put me on Metformin 750mg to help control my blood sugar. I have always been carb sensitive (i eat carbs I gain weight) The only time i was ever able to get down to my ideal weight was on the Atkins diet but I found it impossible to maintain. So going to the clinic was an effort to find a long term answer and solution to getting to and maintaining a heathy weight. The Metformin has been amazing for me. I didn't change my diet since I eat a very healthy balanced diet already and the doctor agreed. I did get  very nauseaus but this got better after a couple of days. I have a vey sensitive stomach and continued feeling a little nauseaus in the weeks following. I started taking the metformin after dinner instead of in the morning and this has pretty much taken care of the problem. I don't crave foods like I use to most times I have to really think about what I want to eat since nothing really jumps out. I get satisfied and full much quicker which has caused me to eat much less. I am eating the appropriate portion sizes for my body now which is great. I use to see slender girls just eat a half of there dinner and stop and always wonder how they did it so effortlessly but now that is the way I eat. It is like the metformin has put my body in balance and because of this I am able to be the  healthy slim person I have always wanted to be. I know you might be thinking I was not that overweight only 15lbs. But i really struggled to maintain that and it was a constant battle to not gain anymore. I had to conscientiously think about it all the time. My mother is a size 18-20 my sister is a size 14-16 I could have very easily been them. So far in the past 5 weeks I have lost 9 lbs. I feel this is a very healthy rate to lose weight about 2lbs. a week and I feel completely empowered. I don't know if this is the right approach for everyone but it is the right thing for me. I hope that someone else reading my story will maybe give this a try and find the same success I have. Most of us have tried many different approaches I am so grateful to have finally found something that works for be. My advice is to eat as healthy and balanced a diet as possible without any extremes, get 20-30 min. of pure sun a day (no sunscreen or sunglasses you body needs this much sun to be healthy and alot of the benefits are absorbed through your eyes thus no sunglasses) soak it up preferrably early morning or later in the evening. Try to lead an active life evey day a walk, hike, a favorite sport, go dancing etc. you don't have to go to the gym but using your muscles is a must. The more toned your muscles the more calories you burn evey min of evey day and the more energy you wil have. I wish for eveyone to be healthy and happy and for this struggle with weight to become a thing in thre past. If you have any questions please feel free i am glad to help! ***@****
I need to lose weight fast. I do a bit of strength training with free weights already, and I don’t eat a lot of food. I do need to lose the weight fast. How do I lose weight at all? Please help me...
For all of you suffering stomach and digestive problems with Metformin:  I just started it, so I can't say for sure how effective it is, but my doctor prescribed a bunch of supplements to counter-act some of those effects and support the insulin resistance:  alpha-lipoic acid (I think for the nausea), B complex and B-12 (the drug leeches B12 from your system), chromium picolinate (also helps your cells to use insulin), fish oil and borage oil (to prevent inflammation).  Hope that helps!

As far as diet and exercise being effective, sometimes they are, and sometimes you just need the drugs.  I didn't used to exercise much, even though my diet is pretty healthy.  Once I started belly dancing 5-8 hours per week, I dropped 30 lbs (gained from PCOS) pretty easily.  But when my living situation changed and I was under a lot of stress, I gained 40lbs despite 3-5 hours per week of dancing plus 5 or more hours per week of walking.  Even now with reduced stress and 8-10 hours a week of dancing, the weight won't budge.  So, here's hoping the metformin works!
'people with diabetes who are taking medication to lower blood sugar, such as metformin should only take alpha lipoic acid under the supervision of a qualified health professional'....there are also potential side affects, now looking into the others youve said to see if any others are like this.
Yep I wouldnt take them with different studies showing that they provide little benefit and carrying potential risks. For example B complex and B12 should be avoided by low blood sugar patients and carry similar potental side effects as the other supplements like insomnia/mood swings/rashes/headaches. Or that Chromium Picolinate can cause blood glucose levels to dip too low especially if taking diabetes medications. Theyve also been proven to increase stress which is surely detrimental to weight loss as you have said.

Plus if people are trying to lose weight and lessen their case of PCOS in the hopes of starting a family then id warn that some of these supplements were found to cause skeletal birth defects in the births of lab mice (you cant test on humans obviously). And as these will stay in your system even if you find out your pregnant early and come off them I wouldnt risk it would you? Lol I know im sounding a bit paranoid/overly sceptic but with the collective side effects and that im already experiencing some from the metformin/other medications i take, I just dont see that this is something I would want to do. Just thought Id put out the bits of research ive done.
Hi, iam new to this site I haven't sign up but I've been ready most of ur post n I also suffer from pcos. Iam taking metformin 500mg once a day n its been. 4 months since I've started taking it. My mensis have been regular n I lost some weight I went from 260 to 191 now, I think anyone taking it should stay on it most of the side affect will subside after like the second week of taking it. Iam also ttc n I did using clomid second round but I had a mc, but iam confident it will work again. I've spoken to plenty ppl with pcos who have taken these combo n have conceive n also many who took met n loss there weight.
I am 26 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15. They put me on birth control and I have been taking that ever since. About 4 years ago I stopped taking them and gained around 40lbs and my face broke out. I didn't even realize it was because I was off bc. Now I'm back on but still overweight. It is so hard for me to maintain. I gain weight as easily as I lose it and sabotage my diets bc I crave crazy sugar foods and eat in huge amounts some days of the month. I just feel like something breaks inside me and I can't control myself and other days I'm perfectly fine, eating healthy and feeling saciated. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you think Metmorfin will help? I know that if I didn't have these cravings I would be able to maintain and lose more weight.
I am happy to see this forum..there is one point I did not see posted.  I had an undiagnosed Pituitary tumor (adenoma), for nearly 15-20 years.  This had a negative impact on every function of my body.  I was always very active/good diet, in my late twenties the weight came on and wouldn't go away.  At age 42 I was at 298 lbs.  I lived with constant (and progressively worse) fatigue, muscle pain/cramps, muscle weakness and a host of other problems with hormones/thyroid/IR.  I was told that I was crazy, a  secret eater, that I was lazy (I have an extremely physical job, I walk almost 12 miles a day) that I had no willpower and that I needed to eat better, even though I eat better than most of my friends. It is estimated that 1 one 5 people have a Pituitary tumor and many go undiagnosed through ignorance.  This can lead to problems like low throid function/hormone problems/weight gain which can be confused as other things, or it can lead to these problems, such as IR, which I have.  Having the Pituitary tumor removed has improved everything, but the IR and I am now taking Metformin, and have lost 10 lbs in a month which I am happy with, only taking 500 mg a day so far.  The headache was the worst for me, lasted for several days, but after the Pit tumor was a walk in the park.
If you start Met don't let the initial problems scare you off, hang in there, if you don't lose weight on it, consult with your doc!
I'm having lots of bad side effects that I haven't seen mentioned yet.  Growing up, I was always underweight.  At 13, I was diagnosed with borderline hypoglycemia.  Over the years I put on a pound here and there until finally I hit my perfect weight of 115 lbs.  When I turned 37, my doctor put me on Effexor for anxiety, but forgot to mention that one of the side effects was weight gain.  So, after being on it for several months, I rapidly gained 23 pounds.  

I started out by stopping the Effexor, but no weight came off.  I then went on a diet, and nothing.  Then I went on the Atkins diet, and not one pound came off.  Then I cut out all fat from my diet as well.  Still, no weight loss at all.  But from not eating fat or carbs, I threw my body into a tailspin.  I started getting all the signs of menapause.  Then my blood sugar went out of whack. I had the shakes all day.  So I ditched that crazy diet, and started a healthy one.  No white carbs, only good ones.  No cake, candy, cookies, potato chips.....basically no processed food.  No red meat, no soda, coffee, only drinking water and Acai juice.  I take about 12 vitamins a day.  And all this, but not one pound came off.  At least the menapausal symptoms went away, and my the shakes stopped.

Then I had to go to an Endocrynologist because I was told I had an enlarged thyroid.  That all checked out okay, but I told him how my metabolism was shot, and he told me that basically, the only way anyone could lose weight was to burn more calories than you consume.  So I went out the next day and bought an Ellyptical machine, an Ipod and a heart rate monitor and two 10 pound weights.  So for the past year, I go on my Elliptical machine 4-5 times a week for 40 minutes.  I get off and my shirt and hair are soaked.  And I work out with the weights three times a week.  And guess what?  I'm still the exact same weight!!!!  It was evident at that point that I just don't burn fat for energy.

So a few weeks ago, I was searching for a new gynocologist.  I found one and went on her website.  There was a fat loss tab, so I clicked on it and started reading about something called Syndrome W.  where you have high levels of sugar but not diabetes.  They treat it with a low glycemic diet ant Metformin.  The whole article sounded like they were describing me.  So I made an appointment and told the doctor my whole story.  She said at first that she doubted she could help me.  She said if I had low blood sugar, she couldn't give me Metforming because that lowers your blood sugar.  So I figured I'd still have the glucose tolerance test just too see what how bad my hypoglycemia really was after all these years.  

When I came back for the resluts, she said I didn't have low blood sugar at all.  That my sugar was very high.  Not diabetes, but I was headed for prediabetes.  I was shocked.  I actually don't buy it.  After all, I had to fast and drink a sugar drink.  I would imagine that would raise anyone's sugar.  I was dianosed with low blood sugar and kept all the symptoms for all these years, and now she's telling me I don't have it??  I asked her why then do I get the shakes every day around 10:00, and why do I get the shakes if I dont' eat on time.  She had no answeres, and was only going by what the bloodwork said.  It was only a two hour test.  How does she know if my blood sugar dropped later on in the day?

So she said she would be able to give me the Metformin. I was so happy at first.  Finally, mabye something to help lost the weight.  The second day, I was on it, about 9:00 am I got the shakes so badly, that I thought I was gonna pass out.  I've been on it about a week and a half, and pretty much every day, I get a fast heart beat all day long.  Which makes me always out of breath.  I'm tired all the time and toally wiped out.  As I see it, this is making my already low blood sugar low, but according to her, I don't have low blood sugar.  I'm actaully scared that I'm messing my body up with this drug.  

I haven't heard or read where anyone has had fast heart beat and totally tired all day. I could barely work out anymore either.  I'm totally exhaused after 20 minutes.  Have any of you had any of these symptoms?  In the meantime, I've made an appointment with an endocrynologist to get to the bottom of my sugar problems.
I started Met a month ago , 500 mg.  When I started it I didn't know
it would compliment diet and exercise.  I'm sure its doing that but I will monitor since I've read on this post that people are losing weight with Metformin. Will the dr increase the mg.
I became afflicted with diabetes type II after having an adverse reaction to a psychiatric medication called Seroquel XR. I gained 65 lbs. in 5-weeks. I could hardly walk without being in pain. After discontinuing the Seroquel XR I was still left with Diabetis Type II. My M.D. (internal medicine) started me on Metformin 500mg twice daily. When it was noticed that my blood tests were coming back with better blood sugar levels the Metformin was increased to 1000mg twice daily. In 5-months, I have lost 38-lbs. The curious issue with taking the Metformin is that I am just not hungry and sometime have to force myself to eat something. Metformin and the associated weight loss is giving me my life back. Moreover, new medical studies seem to indicate that Metformin may also have some efficacy in preventing certain types of cancer.
I started taking Metformin 1500mg once daily for severe PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) back in mid 2006 at that time,my flucuated from 170-180lbs and was 5'3" and went down to 115lb in mid-2009 (I'm at 140lbs now). I lost A TON of hair due to the weight loss. And if that happens to you, I suggest Biotin and Evening Primrose Oil everyday - along with a one-a-day (men's or women's) or will assure you are getting the right amount of nutrients/minerals to encourage hair growth.

I also started at the same time, Wellbutrin to quit smoking, which I did and haven't smoked since. I take the same dosage of Wellbutrin & Metformin but have slowly put on some of the weight I loss. I attribute that to several things. I am a full-time employee, mother, and college student, so I don't have a lot of time for homecooked meals, I eat a lot of fast pre-packed foods when I used to make a lot of homecooked healthy meals but do not have time for it due to my schooling. I also do not have time for my exercising that I use to due to my schooling. I also started Lexapro to help with depression & anxiety over the last few months and that's when I really started packing on the pounds (gained 20).

Now back to the Metformin, it definitely curbed my appetite, if I ate to much, my stomach would hurt and I would get bad diarrhea. It prevented me from getting full or overeating. It also just reduced my appetite and allowed me to loose weight. I think Wellbutrin also helped with this as, it helps with your addictive habits.

Metformin & Wellbutrin no longer does that for me. I can eat tons and never get a stomach ache. Metformin no longer curbs my appetite, in fact, I have problems sitting still and am restless and find myself eating to keep my hands busy. This may be the Lexapro at work or perhaps it is time to have my Metformin increased since it has never been increased since 2006. Anyways, just thought I would share my story with you guys, hope it helps.
I am 32 yo and just found out that I have a PCOS. I ve bee trying to get pregnant for the last year even though having regular period there was no success. Also medium part of my body for no reason got bigger and bigger even though I swim every day and eat very healthy.So in H 5"2 and weight 166 lbs I was every day more frustrated and wondering what is the reason. I found the very good OBGYN  who after all the test told me that i have a PCOS which couses all the problems. She put me on Metformin  twice daily 500 MG which I hope will help me to loose weight and have a baby!!!Thank you all for wonderful shares and your opynions. that was very helpful!!! Wish you all the best!!!! .
asd
anyone had any success using metformin to counter the weight gain that is caused by drugs like Seroquel or Respidol????  I am on a low dose of Seroquel and have gained 23 pounds from it.  I tried everything... diet, excercise, green tea extract pills, Topamax (which lowered my appetite but didn't shed the weight),  and I tried getting off Seroquel which didn't work out for me mentally, it really helps me.  I have been taking Metformin for 4 months and have not lost any weight. I'm reading these success stories so I'm thinking there is something I'm doing wrong.  Is ER better for weight loss?  I'm on the regular Metformin only taking 500 twice per day.  And for a while I was only taking 500 once per day.  Should I bump it up to 500 mg 3 times per day?  Does it only work if you take it before meals?  Sometimes I take it after because I forget.  Or does it work best if you take all 2 or 3 pills at once like at night?  I'm watching my carbs for the most part but I"m not on an Adkins diet.  Do you need to be on a pretty much no carb diet?  Any other suggestions????
Different drugs have different effects on people. Metformin helped me loose weight, but it stopped after a while and most of it eventually was gained back. I have been on Topamax (now on 50mg daily) and haven't had any appettite reduction or weight loss. We are all affected differently. It also makes a difference of what other medications we are taking, what our stress levels are, and what metabolism rate you are. Metformin seemed to start working within a month for me. Topamax hasn't done anything - so i guess it all depends on the person. But I haven't had any migraines yet with Topamax, which is saying a lot.
I am on a p90x program and my dr put me on metformin 500mg a day for a month to start? will I lose anyweight at all? i just started yesterday just curious if this is too low of dosage? Also I am hungry all the time but finding i am getting full fast..I am having a realllly hard time not eating carbs but trying hehe..any advice would be appreciated
Until my sophomore year of high school I was underweight, really skinny kid.  Then over one summer I gained 40 lbs and have been struggling with my weight ever since. I always thought I was really healthy.. since high school I always watched what I ate. I  have been eating salads everyday for lunch for years.  I rarely ate sweets (except when I had out of control cravings for chocolate, cookies, etc). I was working out for over 2 hours a day. 7 days a week in college but still had trouble losing weight (I would lose MAYBE 4 lbs at most, then it would all seem to come back overnight).  
I now work out 3-5 times per week, for an hour and a half (intense cardio and circuit training).  I was able to only maintain my weight, but not lose.  I was also noticing significantly worse PMS, periods, cravings, mood swings, etc. It got to the point where I would only feel "normal" 3-5 days out of the month.  The rest of the time I didn't feel good.  After seeing a great doctor and having blood work done throughout the month, she diagnosed me with anemia, PCOS and Insulin Resistance.  My progesterone levels are extremely low, as is my iron and I don't process food correctly (that's why it's so hard for me to lose weight).  It was scary to be diagnosed with this but also relieving because I was able to find out what was really wrong and can take steps to improve it now. She put me on 1,000mg of Metformin (taken 2x per day). I am only up to 750mg per day.. for the first week I had bad side effects (nausea, EXTREME fatigue, bad headache, cramps, etc).  The worst day was when I ate cookie cake.. it was the worst thing I could have done. But the past 2 days have been a lot better.  I have tried not eaten gluten for about 6 months and noticed that it helps my PMS a little.  I just read that going Gluten Free will help with the Insulin Resistance.  I am determined to eat really well (no refined flour, sugar, wheat).  I haven't lost any weight yet (Dr said I need to lose 15 lbs to be in a healthy BMI range).  

I am hoping to lose the weight but don't know how long to expect before I see results?  Anyone have a similar situation?  I would appreciate any advice...

Thanks guys!!  
Hi, just thought I'd share a little about met and my experiences.
When I was fifteen I rapidly lost a large amount of weight (25 lbs) within a three to four month period. Being 5' 9'' and at 116 lbs my parents told me that I had to gain five pounds to be healthy, and I agreed with them, so I did. But about a half a year later I started gaining weight with no reason. I am a very healthy kid I have been vegetarian my whole life (which doesnt always attribute to good health) but I am planning on going on to be a nutritionist after my last year of highschool (YAY!) but I knkow lots about nutrition. I gained 45 lbs in a year and I have tried thyroid medicines (at first test showed I was hypothyroid, but later after being of thyroid meds my test were normal) and I've tried excercising one to three hours daily (which only maintained my weight) and all the trying without results left me discouraged and depressed, I've also had acne problems. Recently I went to a endo and he put me on met. My mom had the same weight problems as me at my age and she struggled with trying to conceive so now her and I are sure she was PCOS too) but now after being on met for three weeks I've lost 6.6LBS which is the first time I;ve seen any significant weight loss.
I started to take Met 1 tab a day. So far I gained 4 pounds in one month. And also I do not have period. I am 5.6 and I used to be 110 now I am 164. I wonder if MET is going to help me to lose weight. All day I want to eat, my belly looks like I a pregnant.
Did you have the test to make sure that you aren't pregnant? If not.  Give the pills time, I lost over 30 lbs. i kept having the doctor reduce it cause of the diarrhea and ended up needing insulin.  I am trying metformin again, I just don't have bathroom breaks - teach kids.  So I have to be mindful how I take it.  But it works.
hi everyone,
I am a 39 yr old female, with a 16 yr history of hypothyroidism and recently diagnosed with NIDDM( noninsulin dependent diabetes mellitus) , I'm 5'10 and was weighing 208, I started taking Metformin 1000mg daily back in the latter part of June this year and have lost about 20 pounds without effort on my part.  given the fact, that being hypothyroid makes weight loss difficult if not impossible, I would say that it does help treat the condition it is intended for and as a bonus helps shed those excess pounds that plague some of us. Good luck to everyone on this medication,  report any continuous side effects to your doctor,& do NOT increase your dosage on your own!:)
Hello, I am 27 year old and for my side, The most effective way to lose weight is by undertaking rigorous exercise and following a balanced diet plan. However Diet pills have emerged as an effective weight loss solution and have gained instant popularity.
im 18 years old, in the past year i went from 126 lbs-200lbs, they dont know why i gained the weight so they put me on metformin, i work out four to six times a week, i am very active i cheer for my college team, and i eat healthy, do you think metformin works?
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago.  In the last year, I have gained 30lbs and obviously need to lose that as well as an additional 20.  I eat well and try to stay away from junk when possible so have just now been put on Metformin to try to lose weight and regulate my fasting insulin levels.  I take 500mg doses twice daily but am to go up to 1000mg twice daily after the first month.  
I have been taking it for 2.5 weeks now but have seen no results other than stomach cramping.  How long has it taken most to start seeing effects?  
I started taking Metformin may 2010 for type two Diabetes and since the metformin I have lost 99lbs. I am a little freaked out by it but I'll take it. So to many for some metformin will help you lose weight but just like any meds it affects everyone differently and not everone will have the same results. I wish you all the best good luck!
In 2007 I lost 75 pounds in 6 months on metformin. After I stopped taking it I slowly went back to my old eating habits and I gained 40 pounds back. My doctor is putting me back on it since it worked so well for me the first time. I am hoping to loose at least 50 pounds this time and keep it off. I do believe to each his or her own, for me this pill did what diet & exercise alone could not.
I am 19 years old and have been recently diagnosed with PCOS. i have all the symptons of pcos. the wierd hair growth, thinning hair,majorrr weight gain,acne. im gonna start taking Met soon. Will this medication help with all my symptons of PCOS?
I started taking met today and i weight around 163lbs. i wish to go down on this weight before November. has any1 gained any weight due to this medi?
I am diabetic on 2000 mg. of Metformin a day. I have lost over time 113 pounds through dieting and exercise. I did lose a few more pounds when I started Metformin but that was because I spent 30 times a day on the loo. Metformin works on the pancreas. I personally never reccomend taking any kind of medication for weightloss but making life style changes and realising we are a work in progress and small changes lead to large rewards.

size 26 yesterday.....size 12 today.  One day, one meal at a time.
I started taking metformin two days ago, my mother took it, and so did my girlfriend who lost 65 lbs after 6 months, while my mother lost only about 8lbs in one year, the thing I noticed is that my friend changed her eating habits, and did not sit on the couch and do nothing but walked every day and her results are great. On the other hand my mother is older and cant walk hardly but lost 8 lbs doing nothing. I think if you change what you eat watch your carbs, and work out you will see weight loss!! I am ready, follow me to see if it really works!!
I started Metformin about 6 weeks ago after be diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. I take one 500mg pill at dinnertime. It's a very low dose and it's the extended release tab. I had no side effects, but no weight loss at all either. My blood sugar is exactly where it needs to be though. I heard it takes a lot longer to lose weight on the ER tabs than the regular, but you don't get the bad side effects either.

Even though I've been a vegetarian my entire life and have been working out 6 days a week for the past 20 years, I started to gain weight all of the sudden. No matter what I do, the scale won't budge. I'm hoping the Metformin ER will help me to drop this weight.

Does anyone else use the extended release tabs? What has been your experience?

Thanks!
I just started taking Metformin today (500mg 1x) for PCOS.  My BG levels are normal.  I am just wondering if I should be concerned about my BG levels changing?  Since I don't have diabetes is it necessary for me to avoid sugar and follow a low carb diet?  I just want to make sure I don't cause any new health problems while trying to fix others.
Ive been taking metformin at 7pm est, can i start taking it in the morning instead?

For those that dont know.. Im not a diabetic. He did tell me to take it in the morning,not sure why, just says that on the bottle.
    i decided to take it at at 7 est at nite because my problem has always been late nite eating
    and ill feel like im starving to death from like 12 am to 3 am when i go to bed.

I don't eat breaksfast. Im just not hungry, so thats why i don't take it in the morning.

I also exercise alot. I play tennis, lift weights 3 or 4 times a week and i figured that if i took metformin at lets say 9 am then it will effect my tennis and lifting that i do around 4 to 6 pm

Any thoughts?

Its 500 mg once a day. i did think the metformin was helping me lose weight but after about a month, Im back to being hungry late at nite again.

I also forgot to take it tonight. Its 9 pm central.
I did lose ten pounds the 1st month but now im back to feeling like im starving to death about 2 hours after dinner.
To CRob44:  I started taking Metformin about 2 weeks ago, but I take 1/2 a 500mg pill with breakfast and 1/2 a 500mg pill with dinner. So I have 500mg total, but split up between breakfast and dinner. If you're not taking the extended release, you could try that.  I also have trouble with eating after dinner, but on these pills, I'm just not hungry, which is nice. I've had a little nausea, but not much. My endo told me I was prediabetic (I'm also hypo), and I'm trying to eat fewer calories and carbs (about 1400 calories each day, about 150g carbs), almost no sugar. Normally, I would be starving at that level, but I'm really not hungry with these pills. I was supposed to increase my dosage by 1/2 pill each week until I got to 2 full pills each day, but I felt awful when I did, so I cut back to the starting dosage of 1 pill split in half each day. I have another appointment coming up, I'll talk to my doctor about it. I've lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, so that's nice. But you can't cut the pills in half if you're taking the extended release.
im not on extended release, but i thought it said on pill pamphlet to not cut the pill , or maybe im wrong.

250 twice a day sounds good. I don't want the extended. I can't afford to go back to the doc really to get something different anyway.

500 mg metformin hcl
I have read lots of post on the medicine  Metformin, my question to all is can one take the met pill for weight loss only without having a problem with sugars.
How long after you start taking Metform will you see any weigh loss I've been on it for almost a month and nothing... help !!!
Started 1 wek ago...noticed less apitite no side effects  will keep posted in the future.....Fasting 114   spiking 180  
I just started taking Metformin too.  Is there a special diet to be on, my Dr. didn't say.  I have been trying to lose weight but have found that my insulin levels were not working to my advantage.  I am now taking metformin 500 mg at breakfast and dinner.  Any suggestions????  
I have been taking metformin for about 2 months and i started having side effects from day one. I'm always sick to my stomach, and I;m always in the bathroom more than I ever have in my life!!!!!I went from 2 pills a day which made me sick, to 4 pills a day, that's made me even sicker, so now I'm taking Glimepiride with the four metformin pills...and now I'm really sick....My sugar keeps dropping to 50 or below, because i have no appetite or I'm scared to eat for fear of getting sicker. So Good Luck i hope it gets better for you ,,,,,Cause i know I'm sick of all this!!!!
heyy:)
i want to lose weight like 20lbs...i do not have any diabetics or anything...wanted to ask that is it ok if one takes metformin justtt for weight loss? and if one does takes it, then would there be side effects for normal people ?? and what would they be? and how to use metformin for easy weight loss?
im 37 last year i had a misscarriage, would of been my first. i am to over weight by 150-160 pounds. i have been heat broken cause of my loss, and i have gained alot of weight,i went in 2 weeks ago to get on birth control to get my monthly back in order, but the dr and i talk i would like to have a baby, so she told me about metformin so i have been on it for going on 2 weeks 3 days i dont care to eat i get hungry but when i try to eat i put it down. sodas r getting to where they dont taste good. i have the upset stomache going to the bathroom all them time. but my muscle hurt. but i dont exercise. i guess what im saying is if this will help me loose weight more power to it  and hope i will have good news soon and there will be a baby comen
Hi all! Have been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks. My Mom is Type II and took 850 mg BID of met and went from a 16P to an 8P. I was diagnosed with Pre-diabetes today and given 500 mg BID. Currently I'm a 16/14 at 5' 4". I'll let y'all know how I'm doing in the coming weeks. TTYL.
So...I have experienced some GI upset, was bad but not quite as bad as I thought it would be. It was more like what I'd have if I drank a full pot of regular coffee.
I would just like to share with you all that i had a ovary removed because of my pcos in 2003 I was 18 at the time and had one daughter so i didn't mind. I gained about 30 pounds in two months and my doctor put me on metformin. 2 pills a day at 500mg. I did a no carb diet but I could have as much salad dressing as I want because my doctor said it's basically oil and it will run right out of you. I also had very bad stomach aches and diahhrea. I wanted to stop but my doctor told me to continue on and i went back to him in 6 weeks and i was down 52 pounds! yes 52 pounds! The weight came off of my stomach and i was so happy. He also told me not to weigh myself and i didn't until i went to his office. So im not sure how much i lost week by week at that time. but at the appointment he also told me i was pregnant. I couldn't believe it because i was told i wouldn't have anymore children after they removed my ovary and i had PCOS! i stopped taking the medicine during my pregnancies. i only took it after that when I wanted to get pregnant. Now I have 4 children with my youngest being 7 weeks almost 8. and I have got back on metformin the day I came home from the hospital and i am down 47 pounds in 7 weeks with NO carbs! and the metformin. I was a little upset because i lost more the first time but im grateful! oh i didn't mention I can't drink any soda not even diet soda! so just water and sugar free packets. No sugar free candy or pudding. the pudding has carbs.
Heres a menu of what i eat:
Breakfast
3 scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, bell peppers and sausages.

Lunch
tuna fish wrapped in lettuce(mayo, mustard and black pepper)

Dinner
Chicken salad (not breaded)
lettuce, cucumbers, cheese, chicken, bacon, eggs.
and at least 128 oz of water. (my doctor told me your suppose to divide your weight in half and drink that amount of water a day 64 oz is for the average person.)

Another Good dinner for me is greens and pork chops and a salad.
( or whatever meat you want! Roast, turkey, etc.)
I also eat Fried pork chops, turkey salad, chicken, turkey, greens hot sauce, ribs, hamburger without the bun and no ketchup, cabbage. ect

And i eat as much as I want. My doctor told me that you have to eat to lose the weight if you don't eat enough you won't lose the weight like you want to. also i buy the ketostix and in two days its purple also I don't exercise but i know I should but this usually makes me look just like i want to look :)
Hi there,
I just started taking Metformin 500mg one at breakfast and one at supper. I'm taking it only for weight loss. I am hypothyroid but it's balanced with Synthroid 0.75mg right now. My pharmacist told me I do not have to watch my diet. I could eat a normal balanced diet as usual. He mention that I might have diarhea (diarrhea).  I have read all the post and hope I can loose weight. Hopefully I don't get the bad side effects because I am very sensitive to meds. For the people that don't have diabeties, where you told to cut out carbs and sugar?  I don't want to get sick.  Good luck to all of you.
2nd day on met and No more GI upset after the 1st dose. I did get a headache after eating something with a lot of sugar in it. Won't do that again. So far no weight loss but I wasn't expecting any anyway.
I have been on metformin for 6 weeks and have lost a stone and a half weight that i hav etried everything to shift is now falling off me. It has reduced my appetite and when i eat sugary things i feel sick so i tend not to do it, hence the wieght loss i assume lol.. good luck guys i hope you find a supportive doc like i did
Thank you for your post, this is very inspiring. I was told I have pcos as well due to weight gain. My blood sugar is also higher then normal and this is something that I have been battling for years. I was just prescribed Metformin and looking forward to taking it now that I have read all of the post on this site. I have never been one to take medicine with fear that my body will depend on it but this is one that I will take. Thank you again....All of you
So it's been about 1week since I started met. And so far I've lost 4 lbs. But I strarted when on my period so that's debatable whether it's fat or just water. :-/
I only recently got diagnosed with PCOS even though i have suffered with it for 13 years, infact from the day i started my periods they were irregular - i would do odd things like bleed midcycle and bleed for 11 days or more so they put me on the pill and never bothered to do anything more about it.

When i was 16 i was a size 10 UK and gradually i have just pilled on weight and been helpless to do anything about it! first it was slow but in the last 4 or 5 years i have gone up a clothes size every 6 months - i am now size 24! im only 5"2 1/2 so that puts me in the obese catagory :( not only has it made me very unhappy it has put a huge strain on the wallet constantly buying entire new wardrobes so frequently. I had been reffered for various "hormonal" problems over the years to hospitals and dr but no one ever put it all together or did anything about it.

i suffer also from acne, female pattern balding, the occasional black hairs on my face and lots on my breast especially round the nipples, menhorragia and have dubious fertility - these days i have frequent annovulation cycles and so skipped periods.

about 2 1/2 years ago due to me having a rubbish liver which is all fatty even though i only drink a pint of beer every few months or so which many drs thought i was lying about, but it turns out now to have been all hormonal i developed gallstones because my liver pile is all sticky. The gallstones became really really bad and the hospital took away my gallbladder. since then for 2 years i now suffer malabsorbtion (that is my food travels too fast through my gut for me to absorb many nutrients from it - basically like chronic diahorria). it took a whole year of fighting to get diagnosed with malabsorbtion because the doctors were like "if you had it you would be stick thin by now" but - i do have it and im not stick thin because of the PCOS! im on medication for the rest of my life to limit the effects of that. but really it wasnt until then that anyone listened to me about my weight - they all thought i was some fat lazy slob or something even though i work 10hr shifts in a day all on my feet running up and down stairs etc working with children - who are not the sort of people you can sit around and be lazy with!! ofcourse i eat the odd naughty thing now and then but i dont eat unhealthly enough to justify my size!

anyhow im now on metformin and hoping it will answer all my prayers but im only on it now 2 weeks and rather than loose weight i actually think i have gained some??!!!!!!!!!!! has anyone gained some at first and then lost it all afterwards or does this mean metformin is not going to work for me??
i have been taking metformin from 6 months and lost 12 lbs.
HI

I have been on met for 2 days 500mg sligh nausea but thats all.

Will i lose any weight on 500mg people out there seem to be on more mg per day.  I have pcos and using it to regulate periods and lose weight... i have 20lbs to go.  I have changed my diet also.

Can you have the odd social wine on diabex????
I have been taking metformin since 4/1, 9 weeks, and have lost 18 pounds. My dr told me I was prediabetic, and the metformin would help me lose weight, which should help with my blood sugar. I try to limit my carbs, and the metformin seems to make me not hungry. I don't have the constant cravings for sugar and chips that I had before. But, if I eat more carbs, the cravings come back. I eat about 100g of good carbs a day, mostly fruit and vegetables, small bowl of oatmeal in the morning with a boiled egg. Maybe one piece of bread or 1/4 c of rice sometimes for dinner, not always. I recommend getting a book on prediabetes, they have a lot of good tips on what to eat (I read Stop Prediabetes Now, it was helpful). I started out taking 500mg 2x a day, and gradually increased to 2000 mg  per day - I take 500mg at breakfast and lunch, and 1000 mg at dinner. I had a lot of nausea at first, and had to cut back on the dosage, but kept gradually increasing it when I could. I still had some nausea until about 3 weeks ago, but now I really don't have any. I just wanted to provide my experience, since so many people had questions. I don't know if this would work if you didn't have blood sugar issues. I think the blood sugar spikes caused my constant hunger, and the metformin seems to have helped with that. I can eat a healthy meal now and be satisfied, whereas before I was always hungry, no matter how much I ate, and always craving sweets. Also, it's important to exercise, I try to exercise every day, even if it's just a 20 minute walk. Good luck to everyone!
Hi JBee,
I went to the dr just last week, had a complete blood and cholesterol panel done.  They said I was insulin resistant due to elevated triglicerides (triglycerides) but average blood sugar level.  I was experiencing severe edema, and really quick weight gain while eating only about 1300 calories a day and walking/working out 1/2 hour a day.  My starting weight as of last Thursday was 232 lbs.  At 5 ft 4 that is morbidly obese.  Todays weight shows 223.4.  An 8.6 lb loss in 7 days.  They put me on Metformin and Lasik.  Granted...some is definitely water weight.  However, excess fluids in the system cool the metabolism down.  I loose more on the days that I walk with weights and consume lower carb, higher protein foods....so again, my theory is that this is not just all water weight. And even if it were?  I feel SO much freakin better!!   I still take in around 1300 calories per day.  No diarhea (diarrhea) or stomache issues.  I feel healthy, strong, energetic, and relieved that something, after all those years of dieting and failing, actually works.  It is also comforting to know that this actually was a medical issue, not just me thinking I was out of control with my eating or lazy.  Insulin resistance/metabolic syndrom (syndrome) is a very real and valid health issue.  Metformin combined with Lasik has been a very successful formula for me.  I hope this has been helpful information to you.    
Blessings!  
Taking Metformin 500mg po bid with meals, and uhhh...my stomach is not happy at all.  I am going to try to stick it out, because with my insulin levels 4 times higher than what they should be I am sure that I need it...just wish there was a way to help avoid the GI upset that comes with this stuff.  I guess I will keep drinking fluids! LOL.
I just started today with met  @ 500 mg 2xday and I'm excited to see how much weight is going to fall off of me.  I weigh a whopping 228 and am 5'4" so I really need to be at about 150lbs. for my bone structure and height.  My BMI is 42 and that is morbidly obese. So let's see how it does me.  I hope I don't get any side affects.  God Bless
**Latest met update. Have lost 7lbs since starting (5/25/11). I missed my breakfast dose one day and had to take it at lunch instead, all of the initial side-affects came back in force. Seemed like it took a lot longer to get over them than the first time I took met. Word to the wise, don't miss a dose. You'll regret it! I've also resumed my vigorous Turbo Fire and kettle bell workouts. The difference is that now I actually lose weight when I do them now.   Ha!**
I've been on Metformin for weight loss for over 2 weeks now, but I haven't lost anything at all!  I am not diabetic, but I do have some funky hormone things happening where I can gain up to 10 lbs, hold it for the week, then lose it all in one day.  My Gynecologist thought perhaps the metformin would help, but nothing is happening.  It's so frustrating!  Is anyone else using metformin for the weight loss?  How long did it take to start working?  
Um.. are people given this medication to lose weight who are NOT diabetic??? I didn't even know you could do that... I've been on Metformin for about a month ish.. and I didn't even know you could lose weight from this.. my hubby keeps saying I look thinner... but I dont see it.. and I dont feel thinner... I've excersized a lil bit... but not ALOT.. but I had no idea it was a weight loss pill too.. WTH?? But wait... seriously.... im getting major farts (gas) with this pill.... it's so totally gross... I've never had gas like this before... I rarely even fart... sometimes not even on a daily basis.. now.. its like every day and all the time... Man.. I hope im farting my weight off if thats the case! LOL

So... yeah... im like 5"4 {female}, hispanic... totally cool and rad... and I weigh 175 (give or take)... I will now start to check my weight... hopefully these farts totally go away... Im so totally embarrassed by them! hahaha!
I am 34 years old. I have been on and off Metformin HCL for eight years now I am a diabitic I didnt know it was used for a weight loss but it did work for me I was 240 when I started now down to 190 been stuck at 190 for a year now but i did stop it. So now i been on it for a week now lost three pounds. I am not on a diet but i dont eat much junk food no more. Like chips,cookies or choclate.  I drink alot of water if i drink soda I only drink diet. I think i will continue to take it and see what happens. My sugar is really high so I going to be good and try to control again.  I hope to be down to 140 by next year. I am only 5.3 ht. I went from a size 24 to now 14p. thank you for all from your stories.   ***@****
Hello i just was informed by my DOC that I would be starting metformin and I am just curious to know if anyone has experienced any side effects from this med?
I can't really tell if I have experienced any side effects as the last 4 weeks I have been taking Met I only missed it twice and that was because I was consuming alcohol.  About 5-6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 2 and my doctor pretty much told me to cut out all the bad stuff so like keribearny said chips,cookies, chocolate, soda. I started walking 3 times a week about 30-40 mins each time. I also got an app on my phone and was able to put myself on a 1250 calorie daily diet. Well since exactly 4 weeks and 2 days ago I am 9 lbs lighter ( according to the official doctors office scale) which makes me believe it was a combination of what I was doing including the meds. This is going to sound very strange and I don't completely agree with everything in the book especially since I love meat and dairy products and although some vegetarian foods are delicious I don't plan on becoming one anytime soon but there is a book that really helped me when I started my "lifestyle change". It is called "Skinny *****" and it is so informative. It is straightforward though so it might offend some people. But I learned so much about the things I put into my body. I recommend that book most definitely.
Hello All,
Im glad I found this discussion group. My Dr. Prescribed Met @ 500 mg twice a day to me, and I have started taking it a few days ago. I am definately feeling the side effects. Nausia in the morning. like I want to throw up, Headachs and Loose stool =/. I am not diabetic but being a Male whose 5'6" and weighs 259 i could stand to lose a good 60 pounds. My fear is that messing around with my insulin levels might actually cause me to become diabetic. Has anyone who is non diabetic and prescribed this medication discuss this possibility with their physician or know any facts about Met causeing diabeties in non diabetics?
Thank you
I am not diabetic either but was prescribed this med due to hormonal issues..I too have been having headaches!!! Which really ***** I think I will call my doc nad get myself off..it would be nice to get some weight off but I dont know if its worth it or not!  Hey where can i get that book skinny*****? Let me know!
To update, I've been taking Metformin since 4/1, prescribed due to high blood sugar, which dr. described as prediabetic. As of 7/9, my last appt., I had lost 26 pounds and my blood sugar was normal. Yea! I've been taking 2000 mg per day, 500mg at breakfast and lunch, 1000 mg at dinner. My Dr. told me to cut back to just 500mg 2x each day to try and maintain. Honestly, I don't feel the Metformin is helping me lost weight anymore, at first it made me not hungry, or at least I could eat a small meal and feel satisifed, now it seems I'm hungry all the time again, and sugar cravings are back. I'm going to keep trying to lose a little more, with good old willpower, but still take the Metformin at the lower dose, maybe it will help me at least not gain any weight. Good luck to all.
I just started taking Met 500mg 3 days ago. I'm feeling the side effects but I am so ready to start losing weight. I have PSOS and Hypothyroidism. I felt like my body was going crazy. I 5'2 and 200 pds. I can't wait to get back to where I was. I really hope I start seeing weight loss then maybe I can start doing things again.
Hi.

I just went to my dr today; Complained of weight gain AGAIN.  He put me on Metformin.  I am so hoping this helps me.  I have major depression, anxiety, Ocd and ADHD.  the meds I'm on won't let me loose weight. I have been watching what I eat and working out on my elliptical 3 to 5 days a week and NO weight loss.  I hope this works.  I feel so fat!!!
well its been a month now on Metformin I only lost five pounds i guess i have to hit the gym more.
My gyno tested my fasting insulin levels 6months ago and determined I have high insulin resistence, and am pre diabetic. He prescribed Metformin 750mg ER 24hr.  I have decided to take it 1 month ago and noticed I have lost weight in my belly, an inch or two, but have not offically weighed myself yet.

I researched this medicine before i took it and found there is a diet that helps with the medicine.  It's called the insulin resistence diet.  There is a book that gives GREAT INFORMATION about how to eat with that condition.  It's called the insulin resistence diet book.  It doesn't give you any gimmicks.  It tells you how your body works, what you can do to trigger maintainable weight loss and it even tells you how to work out, what to work out with, and gives you a guide on what to buy at fast food resturants and grocery stores, along with recipes.

I'll let you know my results after my weigh in with the doc in the next two weeks.
I was diagnosed with Diabetes a week ago with an A1c of 8.6  My dr.  immediately put me on Metformin.  I started today, literally took the first 500mg pill an hour ago and my stomach is already upset.  I took the pill after my 2nd bite of eggs with some O.J.  When do you guys take yours?
I have been on Metformin (500mg 2x per day) for a week and am now convinced that I need to take it AFTER I eat a whole meal because it gives my stomach time to settle with the food that I've eaten- since I've been doing this, it doesn't upset my tummy and I don't get any headaches. My doctor has directed me to take a pill with breakfast and dinner.
Hi all. I just went to my ob/gyn today and she said I have pcos. I'm almost 19 years old. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 125 pounds so I was wondering if I would lose any weight because I am already relatively thin. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Hey!! I am 30yr old and was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2002/2003 after the birth of my first child ( I was 21-22 years at the time). I went to my GP because my Mensus cycle was non existant and/or irregular and I had acne, excess hair and the GP got me to have a scan and it came back, that the scan clearly showed that I had polycystic ovaries (chain of pearls, as the dr referred to it as) and the hormone tests I also did at the time showed there was an large imbalance. Everything pointed to PCOS and Insulin Resistance, so I got diagnosed by the GP and told a few things about it and sent on my way. I just went on with my normal life because I was not significantly overweight at the time and never really knew  or understood the true impact or seriousness of the syndrome until recently. So years later I went on to having a 2nd child while being on the pill (because my cycle was regular) without even trying. 32 weeks into the pregnancy I ended up in a critcial condition in hospital with a rare form of pre-eclampsia (HELLP Syndrome) and due to the life or death situation I had to deliver my son 7weeks early. I almost lost my life and my son could've lost his without the quick acting doctor that made the decision to deliver my son early after my health rapidly declined and my blood pressure shot up to stroke levels. Everything panned out well (luckily) and after realising what had happened I did some research and realised there is a proven link between PCOS and Pre-eclampsia during pregnancy. I had no idea!!! Anyway I am now struggling to lose the weight, and get back to having a regular a mensus cycle and to control my sugar and insulin levels  after being on implanon for 3.5yrs (to ensure no pregnancy until I decided if I wanted another child) I had no period at all on implanon. I went to a OB/GYN recently and told him my story and he has started me on 500mg of Metformin (normal release) a day (evening - straight after dinner) and I have been on it for 8 days now and have had no side effects. I am trying my hardest to excercise 4-5times a week and eat Low GI Foods and drink atleast 2 Ltrs of water a day. I want to up my dose ( with OB/GYN approval) to one and a half tablets a day and see how I go with that then increase it to 2 tablets a day. I am yet to weigh myself as I want to wait a while before I weigh myself again so that I can see some differences rather then doing it daily. I want to conceive asap but not sure how long it'll take if I stress about it so I'm trying to just lose the weight at the moment and waiting for my Mensus cycle to re establish itself.
Can I take metformin even am not diagnosed with diabetes?

I have been on metformin for six months (for weight loss) with little change in my exercise.  I have lost 24 pounds.  at one point I didnt take it for several weeks, and hadn't gained any back.  some have complained of little or no results in the first week, if you began the way I was told which was a low dose the first week and increasing till at full dose...  this allows your body to get used to the medication and keeps the side effects down.  the side effects do go away.  and back to those wondering why no results right away... as I upped my dose the weight slowly started coming off!  it was about 6 months in that I made it down the 24 pounds, but this is my fault could exercise more....  doc tells me its safe to lose weight more quickly for my age, but I am comfortable at this rate, I'm more worried about losing it to quickly and gaining it back.  this slow and steady has given me the opportunity to make positive lifestyle changes that I can live with instead of getting sick of.
Just started the metformin today. Will see...I was told that the hypoglycemia and ammenorhea that I was diagnosed with 30 years ago was really probably PCOS and IR (hyperinsulinemia) Started taking tin hopes of warding off diabetes down the road.  Curious to see the impact on weight. Have always kept to a minimal caloric intake and exercised like crazy - 1000 calories and running over 50 miles  week. STILL had weight gains. *sigh*
I started taking Metformin 500mg twice daily, In the beginning it made me feel like death warmd up, that was almost 2 years ago but up untill today I haven't lost 1kg, is it because the dose is too low or what? It is truely frustrating, and dont know what to do? Is there any help out there?  Maybe someone can tell me what's up!!! Even on the merformin I'm gaining weight!! SO what now??? Please help!!
I am 29 and I have IR, Fibromyalgia and just recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 5'2 and at my heaviest now at 215lbs. I have tried everything including low/no carb diets, 1200 calorie diets, even hired a personal trainer... not only have I not been able to lose weight, I have actually still been gaining. After my next set of test results come back, my dr wants to put me on Metformin. Thank you for sharing all of your stories. I am alittle nervous about starting it but also very excited that maybe this will let all my other efforts actually do something. I am not looking for a miracle pill, just something to help my body function properly. I appreciate any advice anyone has. Should I go on a low/co carb diet with this medication? Does anyone else have Fibromyalgia as well?
I just want to know are you eating a specific diet for the weight loss?  I am starting on my 3rd week and if I don't eat a fulfilling meal my stomach cramps so bad and diarrhea starts.
I started the diet on   August 8th

Lost 37.5 pounds in 7 weeks

That's   5.36 pounds per week ....

That's a lot quickly ...so I have been slowing down ...for the first 2 weeks ..I did zero carbs ..then realized I need some carbs so I switched to eating subs from subway ..one a day ...or half in the am and half in the pm ...and peanuts when I was hungry ..not to many ...I guess jerrid had a good Idea with the subway thing cause I feel satisfied now ..

Good luck to all !
I started the diet on   August 8th

Lost 37.5 pounds in 7 weeks

That's   5.36 pounds per week ....

Good luck to all !
My doctor put me on metformin this past Tuesday, told me to take 500mg at night for a week or so, and if no significant side effects, up it to 1000 after that. With no change in routine at all, I've been steadily gaining weight since my early/mid 20's, although I did get on depo provera around that time, and weight loss is supposed to be a side effect of that. When I went to the doc on Tuesday, my weight was at 171.5, today I'm down almost 5 pounds, not taking into account the difference between the scale at the doctor's office and mine at home... I exercise a couple of times a week and try not to eat complete junk, although I will have my pizza and Chinese lunch binges at work occasionally. Does cutting carbs really help with weight loss on metformin? I won't lie, I'm a pasta addict, but I have switched to whole grains/brown rice/etc since it's healthier, and I actually think it tastes better too.

I'm hoping the side effects die off soon - I've definitely noticed a loosening in the bowels, but it's nothing I can't deal with at this point. Hopefully the weight loss will be worth it.
hello everyone,over the last year i gained a lot weight during my pregnancy and now my son is 7 month i really didnt loose that much,i starved myself and i kept drinking soup for weeks,i lost 2 kilos that's it,finally i decided to do some blood tests the dr told me i have high insulin,and that i should take the glucophage 500 mg 1st after every lunch then if i felt ok after dinners and later on after breakfast for 3 months,he told me i might not be able to continue it most woman start taking medicine to reduce the pain,im really scared
I have been on it for a 3 weeks now and i havent lose anything. I hope it takes a effect soon. I think maybe by adding more exercise weight may decrease.
My doctor finally decided on a diagnosis of PCOS but only prescribed me 500mg once a day. I do not go back for 4 months so he is not trying to slowly increase my dosage, just leaving me at 500mg a day. Has anyone seen any positive effects at such a low dosage?
You are not alone I just diagnose with type 2 and was put on met. i am  scared too  , because of all the side effects. have you lost any weight since you on it?
I was waiting to see the update on how you did on Metformin.  I just began taking it two days ago.  So far some GI upset.  Looking forward to weight loss and hoping that is one of the side effects for me. But i was following your notes and wondering were you able to stay on it and has it affected your weight.
     Hey everyone... I was diagosed with PCOS when I was 16. I have always been overweight, but within the last few months it has gotten really bad. I am 5'4" and now 235 pounds... and miserable. I went to the dietician and the endocrinologist, got put on a strict diet and metformin.
     For the diet, eating 6 times a day, small meals. I am having a hard tme eating six times a day though. And with the met... I've been on only two weeks. I started with only 500 mg for a week, 1000 mg for a week and now I'm at my full dose (for the last two days) of 1500 mg. I have not lost any weight, I think. My family says that my belly looks a little smaller and my scale looks like it says I've lost 5 pounds, but I really don't think I've had any luck.
     I want to make the best of this experience and do what it takes to lose this weight! Can anyone please help me? Give me ideas and/or tips to lose this weight while on the met? Please... I'm kinda desperate. Does it take longer than two weeks to start seeing results?
Met is for sugar spikes caused by carbohydrates like pasta, rice, breads, cereal, or stuff loaded with sugar (juice). You should stay away from juices, sodas, even diet soda (it still works like sugar) and stick to fresh fruit. So if you are just eating a protein and a vegetable low in sugar and not eating carbs then metformin might make you feel a little nauseous.

Make sure you eat a carb with your protein and you should be fine. Also, eat at least 25 grams of fiber each day (high fiber breads and cereals and in fruit vegetables) and this will work with the metformin to speed up the lowering of blood sugars in your body!
What I haven't heard mentioned at all is the importance of fiber for diabetics. It lowered my A1C from 7.1 to 6.1. This is even when I stopped taking my metformin for awhile! I still have a weight problem and didn't know that metformin helps with weight loss. So I'm going to start taking the prescribed 500mg 3x a day again and combine it the fiber for a double wammy!

BTW, was eating at least 20g of fiber a day and sometimes up to 35g per day. The average fiber consumption in other countries is 25g a day or more, while americans only eat 5-15g a day!

Its easy to incorporate fiber in diet, found in high fiber cereal, to save money I buy Raisin Bran (any brand on sale), or high fiber oatmeals. Add a piece of fruit with cereal. (take a met) with meal. Also, I eat double fiber bread for lunch w/peanut butter and jam, or turkey ham and olive oil mayo, it has 1/2 the fat! Eat with a salad. (a met)..dinner, protein with baked potato, corn, brown rice or high fiber noodles (any kind).a vegetable. I eat smart balance marg. w/omega-3, Just use reasonable amounts of the fats. I also fry using olive oil. (a met).

I would be interested to hear from others who try this out. =)
I started taking metformin a few months ago but stopped because it made me have a period when I haven't had a period in several years and I am 54 years old.  Can any of you ladies speak on this.  I am supposed to take metformin for weight loss but if its going to make me have a period, forget that action, I'd rather be overweight.
When I was reading your story I was shocked at how it is exactly my story.  I have been suffering for the past 10 years, and thousands of dollars later, thyroid testing over and over again, and finally, an NP mentioned PCOS to me.  I had NEVER heard of this!  I am supposed to be starting Met soon...I'm going to ask about alcohol consumption first though, as I have an anniversary coming up in two weeks, and will hold out until I start it if I need to.  I HOPE it helps regulate my hormones, and periods, and helps me get some sleep!
I been on this med for a month for pcos and am also insulin resistant, I also changed my eating habit completely instead of eating alot of   pre-packaged food I know eat healthier food such as fruit, veggies, cut out sugar, and things that contain high fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup which is something my nutritionist and my obgyn told me to most definitely cut out of my diet since then I have lost weight. Exercising also helps speed up the process cuz without exercise you can gain the weight back later. The pill HELPS you loose weight it's not a magic pill. But look at how much of your everyday foods have those ingredients in them. Cereal, bread, syrup, yogurt, etc. just to name a few. Goodluck
I also hear commercials say that your body doesn't know the difference between high fructose corn syrup or regular sugar. And according to my doctors and research. High fructose corn syrup is man made and takes 3x longer for your body to digest than sugar and with it being in everything prepackaged that's eaten that's why my docs said stay away from it. I have been and with the medformin, including exercise I  have lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks. :)
I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes a few days ago and started Met today. I'm 5'2 and weigh 170 though I'm pretty muscular and don't look my weight. Anyway, obviously I still need to lose some weight. I really started looking at my health a few months ago when I was diagnosed with severe anemia. Since then I've been eating healthier (though still not great) and exercising regularly. Also started taking badly needed vitamins. When I was diagnosed last week, I really kicked it into gear and went back to a low carb/high(er) protein diet. So far I've lost 3 lbs since Wednesday without Met. Hoping the med will help me lose enough weight so I won't have to be on Met anymore and can control my BG naturally. Also, hoping that the side effects can help with the low carb/high protein since this diet usually leads to constipation for me (in addition to the iron supplements I have to take for the anemia). With that said, hoping the side effects won't be too bad either... in the "you get what you ask for" kinda of way. Fingers crossed on all counts!
I'm looking for some feedback from women who are 50ish and post menapausal.  In my earlier comment, I mentioned that after taking metformin for weight loss I got a menstrual period that lasted about 5 days, so I stopped taking the metformin.  Is or has anyone else experience this or something like it.  Please let me know.  My doctor said to keep taking it and eventually my body will adjust, so I started taking it again a couple of weeks ago and to date have lost 3 pounds.  So, I want to stay on it but I don't know about the periods and all the parafynalia that goes with them.  Please respond, I'm very curious to hear from others.  Thanks.    
i am 16 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroid in december. i couldnt get the 30 lbs of weight i gained off of me.  my doctor just started me on metformin 500 mg yesterday. what foods should i eat? and do you think 500 mg of metformin is enough for weight loss?! thank you!
Hi Audrey,
I take 4 tabs of metformin per day at 500 mg each and i have found that eating more protein is better for me.  The first week or two I lost 3 pounds and didn't have much of an appetite but now I am starting to go back to my past habits.  You have to give yourself time to let your body adjust to the change.  Also ask your doctor about a prescription for you to talk to a nutritionist who can advise you on balanced meals and snacks.  Good luck.
Hi Carol...I just wanted to put your mind at ease.  Your story sounds just like mine.  My mother died a slow death (at 58) from diabetes- almost completely blind (saw shadows only), a damaged heart and on dialysis (for less than a year).  Her father died at 59 with an leg amputation.  Needless to say, the genetic component is so powerful and too hard to ignore...SO, when I was told that I was insulin resistant, after slowly gaining about 55 lbs. in a span of four years, I told myself I was NOT going down the same road as my mother if I could help it.  I continually begged my doctors for help and wouldn't let up.  It took several years and two endocrinologists before the 2nd one would let me try Metformin.  This was January 2007. You see, I have kidney damage and we don't know why )prior to starting this medicine...kidney infections, pain relievers, high blood pressure, etc.--no add'tl. damage since taking this medicine so don't worry).  Since the medicine has to be flushed from your system via the kidneys, any impairment could be very dangerous.  Therefore, my advice to you would be to ask your doctor about your kidney function (creatinine, albumin, bun, protein, etc.) before you ever start this medicine.  Anyway, I got my doctor to go along with me and, VOILA....success.  Since I was not a bad eater to begin with and already was a walker, my weight immediately started to drop.  In all, I've dropped 40 lbs. and kept it off.  I went off the Metformin for almost a year since I started seeing another endocrinologist closer to home and she did not feel comfortable with my being on Metformin with my kidney bloodwork being what it was.  Well, I went to my nephrologist (kidney specialist) this past summer, did a 24-hr. urine catch and my results for output and quality was great.  He gave me the clearance to go back on the Metformin if I wanted to and would notify my endocrinologist that it was okay to do so.  I am confused, though, since my A1C was 5.1 on my summer bloodwork and all the other numbers were fine yet my endo said I am still insulin resistant.  I don't get that since my A1C was so great (anything under 6 is great).  How she knows that, I don't know but I have another appt. in a few weeks and we shall see what she says then.  Anyway, Metformin gave me my life back since my weight was NEVER like that my entire life, and I felt horrible...no energy, felt like I was drugged, etc  I also have Graves Disease (hypothyroid), turned 50 (the menopause curse is lurking) and am still insulin resistant.  I have been at this current weight since the initial weight came off with the Metformin.  I still have 15 to lose before I am where I want to be but it is a struggle.  It's at least a normal struggle.  Before Metformin, no matter what I did, nothing worked.  It was so frustrating.  Also, I've never really had any difficulty with this drug's side effects, despite what others have said.  I thank God I got the chance to be on it.  Lastly, with it being almost 2012, I am still not a diabetic so, again, I am thankful for this medicine.  My first endocrinologist told me that I wasn't diabetic at the time and he wanted to do all he could to make sure I didn't become one.  Good luck with your journey and hang in there.  Give it a chance, don't be afraid, listen to your doctor, exercise (cardio), watch your diet and portion sizes and do a lot of research on your own about diabetes.  BE PROACTIVE!  Lots of great sites out there (DaVita, dLife, etc). Eat like a diabetic and you'll be fine. God Bless!
Hey y'all. Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. So at about the 6 month mark on met and I'm down 20 lbs and am weraring a size 10/12. Honestly, I could have done better but started slacking off on my workouts. Also, once the side effects started to wear off more I probably at more sweets than I should have. But I'm back committed to my Turbo Fire and Kettlebell workouts and trying to cut more sugar from my diet.
I've gone on Metformin for weight loss and because I am pre-diabetic. Your comment was very encouraging, as I have a friend who is diabetic and see all the complications from this disease. So far I have lost my cravings for sweets and I am not so hungry in the evenings. Wish me luck, I want to live a long life......
I went for my yearly physical on November 7th.  I had gone and done all my blood work the week before so that my doctor would have it when I went in.  My sugar levels were in the diabetic range after fasting so she sent me for the 2 hour glucose tolerance test. I had the test done on November 8th, and spent the next 15 days changing my diet significantly and dusted off my treadmill.  I went back for my results on November 21st and my glucose level was 11.1...which is the highest end of pre-diabetes. If I were to go .1 higher I would be considered a diabetic.  

I am 5'3" and I weighed 247lbs on the 7th.  When I went in for results on the 21st I was down to 240! I lost 7lbs by using only diet and exercise.  My doctor suggested we treat me as if I were diabetic so I have got myself a blood glucose monitor as well as started Metformin.  I am only taking 1 500mg pill at night right now, and I plan on increasing it sometime next week to 2 - 500mg pills a day.  Reading all of these posts is VERY encouraging, especially since I still have at least another 100lbs to lose.  

My next doctors appointment is on December 19th and we will go through my glucose journal and have my weight checked.  I sure hope the Metformin works the same for me as it has for many people who have posted on here!
I'm 21 years old - I was about 180 when I was in 6th grade.  Went down to 140 pounds by the time I entered High School.  Everything was great -of course I still thought I was fat but I'd go back anyday and get to that again.  I'm now 5'6" and 225 pounds.  My doctor put me on Met because of studies helping weight loss.  He said I should be eating 3 small to medium meals and protein snack in between.  I eat like crap..no doubt about that. Any suggestions what I should be eating?
I was diabetic but i had bariatric surgery and about 48 hours later my blood sugar levels went down to a normal range. I still take metformin to help with weight loss. It works! Its been 2 and a half months since the surgery and ive lost 55 pounds. Pretty much a pound a day. I know that surgery and meds are scary. But i believe the most important thing in life is your health. You can stop taking metformin once your blood sugar levels go back to normal. I chose to take it because it really helps with weight lose. And i have not gotten nausia or diarea (diarrhea). I actually stopped taking met for a few days just to see if i was losing weight because of the surgery, and my lifestyle change or the met. The three days i stopped taking it i lost no weight. Once i started taking met again i was losing 1 pound a day its awesome.
I have been weighing 96 KG at a height of  6'10" since almost 20 years.I had TIA stroke in December 2010. My diabetese medicine was changed from Pioglar + Metformin 500 twice a day to Janumet(Januvia+ Metformin) 50+1000 twice a day in around March 2011. I have since lost about 15 KG.I have been facing problems of indigestion and constipation from time to time. Although weight loss is most welcome for me, but I will not like to lose further weight.  Is indigestion and constipation associated with taking of Metformin ?  
Hi everyone,

I really feel for all of you having to resort to all these meds to lose weight and be healthier.  Both my parents are overweight and I have seen my cousins and siblings heading in that direction.  I was "vain enough" to always monitor my weight since high school, but always fluctuated between 140-150 even with all my efforts. (I am 5'4").  I worked out 5 days a week (mostly 1 hour of intense cardio) and kept a detailed daily food journal where I documented every single calorie I consumed and tried not to go over 1200-1400 calories per day.  And still, the best I could do with this strict regimen is go down to 140 pounds!

Then, when I started dating again after a bad breakup I really wanted to look good (i.e get thin), I started eating very little and working out even more and was able to get down to 130 pounds, however, I knew this was not sustainable and after 1 single vacation I almost gained all the weight back.  Since then I read like a million diet books and gave Paleo a try.  I have been on it for a year now and I have been able to easily keep my weight between 117-124 pounds, without calorie counting.  I am very happy I stumbled upon it.  I don't work out very much at the moment because I need to find a new gym, maybe like 1-3 times per week, but I was getting even leaner when I was doing CrossFit and I felt amazing.  I recommend Paleo for everyone!  My mom is on it and lost 20 lbs and my sister 15 pounds.  I do have my cheat days every week, so I don't feel like I'm totally deprived, but I am always on a watch out for the evil carbs and prefer to satisfy my appetite with veggies, high quality animal protein, and some fruit.
Could you tell me what Paleo is
I started metformin about 2 years ago due to PCOS and they told me it was going to be very hard to get pregnant... Well guess what I now have a 10 month old.. At first after having my son my periods and everything was great. Then it was like one day everything changed. My periods stopped I started gaining weight in my mid section, my face broke out horrible and all around felt horrible.  Went back to my gyno  and he said my pcos was back with a vengeance.  So I started metformin again 850mg 3x's a day along with birth control to regulate my periods.. I'm hoping it's going to help with the weight too...  It's just nice to know I'm not the only one with these issues..   :)
Hello everyone thanks so much for yr comments,Oct 2011 i was borderline my Doctor put me on 500 mg metformin, The first week i lost 7 lbs, coming on to the second week, I really don't what went wrong instead of losing the weight i find my eating more than i ever ate before. I have always a healthy lifestyle, i don't use salt or sugar, and have never indulged in junk food, I took some pictures in late November and was astonished how fat my face looked.i have 3 children and maintain my weight even having my kids, after my babies the next week i was in my regular clothes, now i really don't know what is happening to me i am always hungry, and i have to eat or else i feel a big headache is coming on. Does any one ever has his problem instead of losing  weight i am putting it on. I do eat any way different than before, but since i start taking the merformin i am always hungry. HELP HELP HELP.
hi everyone i was reading all the posts and i have to say that im 22 years old and i have thyroid and i also have pcos i have been taking metformin 500mg twice daily for 5 months now and well ive only lost about 9lbs its so stressful knowing that that ive had thyroid for 2 years now and pcos for about 6 months and im taking medication doing all i can and still cant loose weight i used to be 135lbs before thyroid and now i am 185.6lbs :( i dont know how people are doing it but i cant loose weight with met. my specialist doesnt seem like she really wants to give me anything else for me to take so i can loose weight im really just about to give up.
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS & my doc prescribed Met for me today...I was considering bariatric surgery because my weight was so HIGH(414) & I just couldn't stop eating!  I have been exercising and eating well and have lost 31 lbs. In two & half months...it took me forever to get pregnant...finally at 37 had my daughter (Thanking God for this Blessing!) I'm hoping the Met will help with my insatiable appetite!  Lots of great info here!  Thanks!  Will let you know about progress! :-)
I was told I was borderline diabetic and if my Hemoglobin A1C went up two more points i would be considered a full diabetic.  I was significantly over weight and considered doind gastric bypass surgery.  I have been taking 1000mg a day of metformin for about a year now.  I started at 298 pounds and I am down to 247 pounds.  My husband did not want me to do surgery so I opted to lose weight myself.  I honestly feel the Metformin helped me acheive it.  My A1c has lowered by 2 whole points and I am feeling great.  I am still working on losing 50 more pounds.  My fasting levels used to be 124 now down to 94.  I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am hoping that  the metformin will help with that as well because I am 37 and we would like one more child.  Hope this gives hope to anyone starting metformin and concerned about their weight.
Hi there all... I have lost a fair bit of weight since 30/12/09 to present day... In June 2010 I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2... I was put on a drug trial... Byetta 5cgu in the morning and the evening dosage with combination of metaformin xr 500x2 in the evening total 1000mg.. I was weighing around or over 115kg at the time and now today I weigh around 90kg... I feel fantastic and my diabetes is under control... I know there has been great medical trials and new drugs around.. I even experienced a period of time on a drug called janumet which work as well.. But this current treatment is working fabulously
Hi Everyone ,

I was diagonised with PCOS and IR in Dec 2011. My doctor adviced me that I am prediabetic. I have gained 12 kgs of weight in the year 2011. I was very let down and didn't know what to do. Glad that My Doctor has found out what is wrong with me.She has prescribed me Metformin 1x 500mg per day.I started taking the medicine on Jan 1st 2012 and i have lost 2.5kgs in one week. i was 72kgs on Dec 24th 2011 and I was 69.5 kgs on Jan 8th 2011. I hope the medicine helps me lose weight and also will help me with PCOS and IR. I have given up sugar, full cream milk , rice, pasta and desserts. I am having oats , whole meal bread, fruits and steamed vegies these days.

I have also decided to walk for 30 mins a day and slowly add other exercises to my routine.

I wish everyone goodluck on your weightloss journey and hope we can all have our PCOS and IR problems rectified soon.

Never give up hope and always follow a healthy diet and good exercise routine. Stay positive.

We can make it happen!!! GOODLUCK.

Best wishes
+attitude
Metforman works in weightloss by making your body more insulin sensative. In other words it curbs your appatite. Since metformin doesn't lower insulin you can safely take up to 2000 mg per day with your Dr.s concent
Viewing 401-600 comments: