Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Please Help!!! Low fat diet 20 grams a day

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Hello everyone I just came back from the Dr. and was given a B12 shot and was put on a low fat diet 20 grams per day, 4 grams per meal and eat 5 times a day and cardio 30 minutes 7 days a week....I was so excited and ask the Dr. " so I can have any thing I want but I cannot go over the 20 grams per day" and the Dr. said yes... I am sooooo confused and a little Discouraged all ready... What do I eat? I went to wal-Mart and cannot find anything under 4 grams per serving not even Lean cuisine, smart ones, healthy choice etc. I cannot eat grilled chicken and veggies all day every day for the rest of my life is any one else on the low fat diet 20 grams a day and if so what do you eat??? Please help... Thanks so much
I am on a 20 gram 700 calorie diet. I eat meat. Like steak, pork chops, ham in the meat department but make sure you look at the labels there is a brand with no carbs. I also shop at walmart. I eat bacon, eggs,pork rinds, meat has protein not carbs. Good luck to you. I have been on b12 shot and phentramine (phentermine) since july 27th and I have lost 21 pounds so far. Today is the 28th of aug.
Tina
Thank you so much, do you have any snacks during the day? do you eat any of the lean cuisine, or anything like that and do you eat 5 times a day....Sorry for all the questions... Again thanks for all the help
I just eat things that are low in carbs and don't go over the 20. and watch the calories
with me being on the vitamin b shot and the supplement pills I am not hungry. I am diabetic and since being on this program I haven't had to take my diabetes pills cause being on this program has lowered my sugar. I am loving it. I more or less have to make myself eat cause you don't want to starve yourself. I also can have sugar free jello not the pudding but the jello cause it has 0 carbs and I think 10 grams of calories. I eat beef jerky too. I don't mind the questions. I have messengers to chat on but don't want to put it here is there a way to send a private message  here or no?
Tina
you guys are not talking about the same thing. Kiley is trying to do 20 grams of fat a day and Tina is doing 20 grams of carbs a day. Kiley, all that meat will not work for you unless it is really really lean. I'm sorry I don't have any other ideas either, I didn't know lean cuisines and all that were more than that. I don't count my calories and fat grams to that extent, I just keep it as low as I can. I do lots of salads and raw veggies, and I'm starting to do fat free yogurt. There's lots of stuff that says its fat free, just try to experiment. Ask your doctor for advice since it was his bright idea!

No you cannot do private messages. If you post your emails or anything like that they will delete it and may even keep you from getting on here again. best of luck to you both
Thanks so much for everyone's help!!! One more question when you go out to dinner how do I know how much fat is in the meal I choose? just get a salad or grilled chicken and guess? Thanks so much
Hello, about 7 years ago I did this diet and successfully lost about 85 lbs. I also exercised 4 days a week while on it. I found a book at a local book store that, infact I "think" was called the 20 fat gram a day diet.  The book is purple and small enough to fit in your purse and has a fat gram counter/dial attatched to it.  I saw it a well known book store a while back so I know that it is still out on the market.  The book is very useful! It gives the fat grams for almost everything out there. And if something wasn't in it I would just read labels.  I would also write down everything I put in my mouth. As far as eating out, you can go to any web site and get a nutritional guide. I know all the fast food chains have one. For lunches I mostly ate baked potatoes with salt/pepper and fat free spray butter, salads with fat free dressings, and if I went to b/king or micky d's I would just order a hamburger with a diet coke.  For something sweet try sherbert its low fat and good. I ate a lot of fruits and low fat walmart brand yogurt.  And yes you can eat anything, like for instance if a snickers candy bar had 7 grams of fat I would only eat 1/2 of it and something with not fat in it and make that my meal.  I would also try and save up as many fat grams throughout the day so that I could eat more for dinner.  This diet takes some getting used too but it does work. Oh and another thing I did was reward myself on the weekends with one day of 30 grams of fat.  Hopefully this info will help. Chat later.
I noticed that some restaurants have a web site for their site and some have their food and nutrition listed. I saw that with wendy's Not sure how many more but it is just a thought.
Tina
that's what I do, plus ordering low or fat free dressing, etc. But you can ask them for nutrition info and how they prepare the food, like what kind of oil they use and so on. You can also ask for just half an entree. Its your food and they know people are trying to eat healthier these days, make them work with you.
in re: going out to eat...
Try to decide where you are going BEFORE you leave your house.  Look up the nutritional info online before you leave and decide on 2 choices. (Guaranteed if you have your heart set on one, they won't have it anymore.)
Obviously, ask for dressings on the side and even cut away 1/2 of the meal for lunch the next day.
Easier said than done, but if you really focus on this when going out, you won't get the surprises when you get home.  I learned my lesson when I was on Weight Watchers I went to Max & Erma's and got a nice salad.  That nice salad, that I thought I was being so good with, had almost all of my points for the day! Yikes!
Thank you all for giving me advice and helping me out I really appreciate all the help. I am going to try all these things and hope it works. I always thought to loose weight I would have to eat lots for protein, and salads for the rest of my life and I knew that was not a life style for me it was a diet, I cannot do diets forever I have to find something I can live with and not get burn out on it so maybe I will see great results from this...QUESTION if I ate something like this each day do you think I will see results breakfast-kix cereal 1 cup & 2% milk,
lunch- turkey and cheese sandwhich, snack- those 100 calorie ritz snack mix, dinner-lean cuisine...Is that too many carbs, not enough healthier choices..I know I am being a pain and to asking many questions but I want to make sure I am doing EVERYTHING right to loose weight..My husband is in the Military and he has always been deployed to Iraq or trainning so this is our first big vacation and I would really like to loose as much as a can before the trip in Nov. and would really like to take some Christmas pictures in Dec. :(
AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH!!!! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS TO EVERYONE!!!
that sounds like a very good meal plan. I would make it skim milk, you can even put an artificial sweetener packet if you don't like the taste. And make sure the turkey and cheese are low fat. Also, drink a lot of water and keep up that exercise!

I hope you get the results you want and your time with your husband is wonderful. Tell him thanks for his service!
I was on 1000 calorie, 20 fat gram per day diet, but I only ate 3 meals a day.  I took fastin which is generic phentermine and had to force myself to eat.  I didn't really worry about dividing my calories and fat grams up evenly between meals and I lost 14 pounds the first month and 12 the second.  I would eat a 6 inch sub from Subway for dinner a couple of times a week and usually had to force myself to eat all of it.  I ate Healthy Choice Dinners from time to time as well.  I found it didn't really matter if the calories and fat grams were split evenly.  That does seem almost impossible and I've been watching calories and fat grams for as long as I can remember!!  Good luck.
I recently have had my gall bladder removed. I had never had a problem before. It was emergency surgery. The doctor put me on a low fat calorie diet. But, I have no idea how many I am suppose to have. I want to eat the right about but can not locate on the computor what is the right amount. I have been eatting either lean cuisine or healthy choice dinners. If you could help me i would greatly appreciate it. I am 41 yrs old. I am 5'5 and weight 150lbs. i do have a belly from having 4 kids but not to bad. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.
Hi, I am 5'6 and weigh 145 pounds. I follow a self-imposed low-fat diet and it is something that you just get used to by looking at the fat content of food products that you buy. If your doctor can't tell you or recommend a nutritionist for you, then I think anything under 40 grams a day would suffice. That may seem like alot to some people but if anyone who doesn't watch their intake of fat were to add up the fat they have been eating, they would be surprised. Especially if they eat alot of fast foods, butter, ice-cream, pie, cookies, candy, pizza, guacamole, cheese- the list goes on and on. Just think of something you really love to eat and chances are, it is high in fat. People have to train themselves to like veggies with a sprinkling of butter flavoring and lemon juice, low-fat yogurt instead of a Dairy Queen Blizzard, but if your health and well-being depend on it, then it is worth it. Who wants to have diabetes, heart disease, or any other disease, if they can do something about it. I  feel that it is important to have an occasional slurge- a hersheys chocolate bar once or twice a week or a slice of cake on your birthday. Again, if you are not sure- you should feel free to ask your doctor.
I know this is a late comment, but i was once put on a diet pill and could eat as much as i wanted, but only 20 g of fat a day. So I ate lots of beans, tuna, fresh veggies, If you go to mcdonalds and order a baked chix sand minus the mayo its only 5 grams of fat I ask for a honey mustard packet and use that instead.  There are a lot of grocery store options with no fat versions. I would get the carnation breakfeast drink packs and add ice and a bananna and fat free milk blend it in the blender and wala a low low fat breakfeast full of vitamins. For lunch I would eat a healthy choice soup and maybe add a can of black beans on wheat toast, Filling!!
Dinner large portions of veggies and small portion of chix breast Marinated in any flavor you want or salmon use lots of mrs dash salt free seasoning on everything. Deserts, I love pudding you can get fat free no sugar pudding or jello, or yogart. OMG, I love Schwans Frozen yogart Ice cream you could do Vanilla and dice a banana over it-yummo maybe drizzle sugar free choc syrup over it too, just watch your portions. Once you learn to become creative wih your food 20 grams of fat becomes easy.
Hope this helps
read the book the extreme fat smash diet by ian smith.its a great diet that is 20grams or less of fat.does the body need at least 20 and does calories matter or if u go 2 low can your body go 2 starvation mode
I did the 20 grams of fat diet and it works.  I lost 5 pounds a week and was on it for 3 months.  Read labels and packages to see the fat content in them.  You can have just about anything as long as you don't go over 20 grams of fat a day.  Healthy choice is the best frozen dinner you can buy and the taste is so good.  Substitute Equal for sugar, in cereal add bananas to it because it is a natural sugar that you body is going to want.  Veggies should be fresh or frozen, nothing processed in a can.  Try to avoid meat, it is very high in fat content.  I thought the diet was great because you can eat bread, have milk, and cereal that isn't sugar coated, it never felt like I was dieting.  If you want to know more about what I did, then you can contact me.
I 3 years ago was very small iam 5'3 and weight 108 that was writing down everything i ate even a piece of gum. when i was a teenager is when i started watching my weight it is not hard if you find something that works for you because everyone body is different now today  ive gained about 50 pounds after just having my son how is 6 months lod i need a little help for any one who can help i know what to do to get back like i was i just have not yet i need some incourging.     thanks, shannon
Hey, about three years ago I was 280 pounds.  My wife and I started a low fat diet.  We bought a book from the book store called the 20 gram a day fat diet.  We cleaned out all of our cabinets and fridge of anything that had over three grams of fat per serving in it.  That meant no temptation in the house.  Within a week of starting the diet I started splitting my meals up into six smaller meals a day.  At breakfast I would have about a cup of cereal like corn flakes or raisin bran with skim milk.  Three hours later I would have an apple or something small.  Then two and a half or three hours later I'd have a sandwich with fat free miracle whip and lean turkey breast and fat free cheese.  I'd have a serving of fat free pringles.  About two and a half to three hours later maybe a small bag of pretzels or another fruit.  Then after another two and a half to three and a half hours I'd have have maybe a lean cuisine or something.  After another three hours or so i'd have a low fat desert like frozen yogurt or something, about a cup of it.  Didn't drink my calories either, diet everything or water.  Oh, and no added sugar, use sweet and low or splenda instead.  Anyhow, I lost seven pounds a week, no exercise.  Then after a few months my weight loss slowed and I started eating three normal sized meals a day staying under 20 grams of fat still and started lifting weights.  I lost another twelve pounds after that and now maintain somewhere between 186 and 192 depending on who knows what.  After and only after losing all the weight I was going to we started eating two cheat meals per week.  Usually on the weekends.  Anything went, we'd eat out and not worry about what it was we ate, just whatever.  We'd even follow the meal with a desert, whatever we wanted.  I still maintained my weight.  My wife lost 77 pounds on this diet without eating the six small meals a day.  She can not exercise much because of health conditions.  Nevertheless, this 20 grams of fat or less a day works extremely well.  But, we found, the only way to make it work, is to eliminate all temptation in the house, if there isn't a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, then you're not going to eat it.  It's a way of life, not a diet.  Hope this helps, good luck.  Ryan.  Texas.
This is kind of baffling to me because I just made a sandwich that had 2tbs of hummas (6g) (which is the healthy alternative to mayo) four pieces of bread (2g), six slices of turkey (6g), and two pieces of cheese (10g). That's 24grams of fat in two sandwiches.... so it seems like going on a 20g per DAY diet would be not only dangerous, but also impractical and improbable... I'm not dieting or anything, but I want to start eating healthy. I don't know if what I'm doing is actually healthy or just healthier.
My mom went on a 20 fat gram a day diet back in 1995.  When she started she weighed 183lbs and lost down to 130lbs.  Her doctor told her not to go under 20 grams of fat because the body needed at least that much for healthy functioning.  It was doctor recommended and she ate a lot of dried beans and she would eat till she was full.  Beans are full of fiber, protein, and potassium.  She ate a lot of fruits and vegetables.  Vegetable soup had no fat.  She lost 53lbs. in 6 months.
I am 60 years old, no dibietes, no hypo-gycemic.  I am 231 pounds, have fibromyalgia, and arthritis throughout my body, especiall knees, feet, hips and back..  Can gain 5 pounds in one day if I eat any kind of sugar.  Pretty sure I can lose on the following plan.

Need coaching for the no sugar, no more than 16 grams of fat a day.  Can someone do this plan with me, so that we can coach each other?

Joyce

***@****

Joyce

***@****

Hi Joyce, my advice is that you eat only fish, meat, chicken, and lots of vegetables until you get down to your desired weight. Also, you might want to get yourself a copy of “Deep Nutrition” by Catherine Shanahan M.D.
The WISER Diet Plan at gramslam (dot) com is new. You might want to take a look at it.