Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Poor physical health and weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Poor physical health and weight loss

I am 36 yrs old and weigh 300. I take meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, anemia, 2 for depression/anxiety. I also suffer from 3 herniated disc in my back and neuropathy in my legs and feet from the herniated disc. My question is how can I possibly loose weight and exercise with the deck totally stacked against me?  Three of the drugs I take have the side effect of "significant weight gain" (Paxil, Remeron, Avandia).  I can't go off of any of the meds; it took me months to find the antidepressant mix that stopped the panic attacks and lifted my mood - I have been on them for 10 years!  I have thought about the lapband but nausea triggers my panic attacks faster than anything.  I manage to walk 1/2 mile a couple of days a week but wind up in severe pain later.  It also seems like I constantly crave sweets and I am a @#&%$ if I don't get them.  My blood sugars are good most of the time but night binging is the worst. I am terrified of dying young even though I am a Christian. It scares me to think of who would raise my kids. I know most would say to just stop eating but that's what a thin person who has never had a weight problem would say, it's not that easy!! My childrens pediatrician is also a plus size woman who told me to just learn to love myself the way I am and quit worrying about it. I hate myself and the way I look.  No one in my or my husbands family has ever been overweight and my husband tells me my weight doesn't bother him but I know for a fact that it does: can anyone say "men are visual creatures"? I honestly don't know what to do anymore.
Try to do whatever exercise you can, if weight bearing exercise hurts to much try a rowing machine or upperbody carviovascular exercises.

You should also try to have raw vegeabtles next to you at all times because we often eat foods without thinking about it or actually tasting what we are eating. Also try to ignore the cravings, if you are eating three meals a day this is all you need.

I can also bet that if you would drop some weight you may be able to come off some or evel all the meds you are on.
Have you tried Weight Watchers?  No drugs and a healthy eating plan is what you will get.
I did WW's and managed to lose a decent amount without exercising. I am a LAZY creature and I hate to exercise.

I think that if you really want to lose weight you will find a plan that works for you.  WW's does encourage exercise, but nothing that is to high impact, nor do they MAKE you exercise. Even if it is only walking, maybe after you get the first few pounds off you will see the number going down and it will encourage you to exercise. Not to mention that when you start seeing results, your pain will likely lessen with time.

WW's is the only plan that I can think of, I am sure your Dr doesn't want you to take diet pills with high blood pressure.  I encourage you to go to a WW's facility or to even try the on-line/at home version of WW's.

You can do it!
Rule 1: smile and think positive - many people have the same problem and many of them finds the solution.

Rule 2: Then you need to change your diet. No magic pills, but fruits and vegetables, no fat meat. Move as frequent as you can. And... just care about yourself. And don't cheat with meals, because it's cheating yourself. And don't forget about rule 1. when it's getting hard. All be fine!

<a style="font-size:1px" href="http://morningcoffee.cjb.net">beauty</a>
Thanks for the advice.  I am trying walking but can only manage 1/2 mile a couple of times a week.  My father had diabetes and heart disease and a major stroke before he died at the age of 65.  My mom keeps reminding me of my cousin who was in bad health with obesity and diabetes and her doctor told her the best thing she could hope for was a heart attack! I am terrfied of winding up that way.  But it seems like nothing I am doing is good enough to prevent it.
believe me honey, im on the other end of the scale . im desperate to put ON weight. i suffer from depression too and am currently on sick leave. you need to begin to like yourself before you can cope with the depression, this is turn will allow you to feel better about your weight and take sensible steps to loosing weight properly. its just one enormous vicious circle. its hard to focus on ahealthy diet and leading a normal life as the depression is a barrier to everything you see and do- i know. its taken me 7 years and a lot of heartache to realise. i hope you get the help you need.
you know, the doctor i see in los angeles is a specialist in weight control, and i see some other patients that he is treating used to have too many medical problems, high blood pressure, knee pain, cholesterol, high sugars, water in their lungs, this and that, and the 2-3 guys that i talked to had a really good things to say, they started coming off of their medications and feeling alot better. if you guys are in los angeles, put up a message and i will give you his number if you like.